A Fortuitous Adventure: 13

Printer-friendly version

Emily

How I persuade my aunt
to agree to my remaining as I am.

A Fortuitous Adventure:
or, how I got my first job

by Louise Anne Smithson


Chapter 13

My Dinner Party

As usual Karen and Anne went out clubbing with their boyfriends on Saturday night and Clare was also out with Geoff, leaving Jenny and myself to spend the evening together. I was quite pleased to be able to have another opportunity for quiet talk with her.

‘Thanks again for all your help and advice over the past fortnight, Jenny. You’ve been very kind to me,’ I said.

She smiled.

‘That’s alright, I’ve enjoyed myself over the last couple of weeks. I was bound to help you to make as good a job as possible of becoming Emily since it was my idea in the first place.’

‘Everyone apart from Aunt Carol seems to be keen for me to spend the entire summer as Emily, rather than as Chris,’ I commented.

‘By everyone,’ I assume that you’ve also including yourself in that comment?’

‘I suppose so, but it’s also as if fate has been conspiring to turn me into a young woman, firstly by my losing a suitcase when I was due to stay with Clare and her sisters, then by removing my aunt from the scene and introducing me to you.’

‘Perhaps, but I don’t think any of us would’ve pressed the matter if you hadn’t also seemed to be enjoying yourself,’ she replied, and then added, smiling, ‘I like the idea of being an agent of fate.’

‘I have been enjoying myself, but why did you suggest that I should work as a waitress once you knew I was really a boy?’

She shrugged.

‘Mum desperately needed some extra help, you needed some work and you looked like a girl in Anne’s clothes even when you weren’t trying. However, I’d no idea you would ever look as good as you do now.’

‘Thank you. I’ve had a good time making the transition to Emily, and working with the two of you. I started off feeling anxious in case I gave myself away or anyone should challenge me. But, when I saw how good I looked last Saturday night something changed and I decided that I wanted to spend more time as Emily.’

‘Good! I am pleased to have my efforts appreciated,’ she said giving me a kiss on the cheek.

‘But where will it all lead to?’ I asked.

‘That’s up to you to decide, but in the meantime I’m happy to have Emily as a girlfriend.’

‘I’m glad. By the way, is there anything I can do for you in return, to repay your kindness?’ I asked.

‘I need to wash my hair ready for tomorrow, would you mind giving me a facial and a manicure at the same time,’ she asked.

‘I’ll do my best but you’ll have to tell me exactly what to do and keep an eye on me,’ I replied.

‘Why don’t we go to my house this evening and I’ll show you what to do then you can do the same for me?’

‘That sounds like fun,’ I said.


Jenny and I made a pretty good job of washing one another’s hair and putting it in rollers. We then gave each other a facial and finished by replacing the varnish on one another’s finger and toe nails. As we did so, we chatted happily about clothes and makeup, and other girlish things so that I got the impression that she now thought of me as one of her girlfriends, rather than as a young man in disguise, but then I went and burst the bubble .

‘Jenny, there’s just one other thing I would like you to do for me if you don’t mind,’ I said.

‘What’s that?’

‘I’m afraid I removed the adhesive plaster from over my penis on Monday as I wanted to check that keeping it stuck down like that wasn’t doing it any harm. However, if I‘m going to be wearing my blue evening dress again tomorrow evening I don’t want any tell-tale bulges, so please can you show me how to stick it down for myself once more?’ I asked.

Jenny sighed.

‘Alright Emily, but it’ll be the last time I’ll do it for you, hereafter this will be a job that you’ll have to do for yourself,’ she said, finding herself a pair of rubber gloves.

By the time she had finished, my manhood was safely tucked out of sight once again, but I was not feeling as uncomfortable as before, and I was able to wee without too much discomfort. It was now rather late, and so I telephoned Karen to ask her permission to stay the night at Jenny’s house.


Clare called round to see us early on Sunday morning before I even had a chance to remove the rollers from my hair and put on some makeup. She was anxious to tell us all about her date with Geoff the day before, and to find out what Jenny and I had bought on our shopping trip.

‘We had a terrific time,’ she gushed and related the details of their evening together.

‘Emily, you should’ve agreed to go out with his friend Rob, because apparently he is still asking about you.’

‘I’ve already turned down one tempting offer from work, only to find that he was only interested in my body,’ I responded laughing.

‘They usually are,’ commented Jenny.

‘I told Geoff to tell him that you weren’t interested, and in any event you were below the age of consent.’

‘Thanks, I’ve enough on my mind at the moment without getting involved with any guys,’ I said.

‘But I may also have let it slip that you were sixteen in a fortnight,’ added Clare with a smile.

‘Thanks a lot!’ I replied with mock exasperation. ‘A couple of years ago the age of consent for any sexual activity with a guy would have been eighteen.

‘But not any more, and so I wouldn’t dismiss the idea out of hand, after all it’s one of the nicer things about being a girl. You can’t go around looking as lovely as you do without attracting some attention from the opposite sex,’ said Clare.

‘I have to remember that they’re not really the opposite sex, however much I might wish they were at the moment,’ I continued.

‘So would you like to change your gender and live as a woman full-time then?’ Clare asked seriously.

‘I don’t know, it has its attractions, but I can’t say how I’ll feel next week or next month. I need to think carefully about my future, so I won’t be planning anything drastic for the time being. In any event, I don’t think that either your mother - or my own - would be too happy if they thought I was going out with young men. Any thought of boyfriends will have to wait at least until I’m sixteen,’ I said.’

‘Sorry Emily I keep forgetting your tender years,’ said Clare. ‘The makeup you wear tends to make you look older than you are.’

Our conversation moved on to other topics, including my plans for the remainder of the day.

‘We’ve got almost everything I need for the meal,’ I said. ‘I just need to buy some strawberries and cream and one or two other things from town.

‘So what are you planning to feed us tonight?’ asked Clare.

‘The main course will be beef stroganoff with wild rice and roast vegetables. There’ll be a mixed seafood starter and strawberry shortcake as a dessert.

‘It sounds nice but you’ll have to watch the calories. Will you be able to manage going shopping on your own,’ asked Clare.

‘Yes I think so, there’s not very much to carry and I can get a bus. I need to get used to being Emily on my own, because I can’t always expect you two to accompany me every time I go out.’

‘What would you like me to do then?’ Clare asked.

‘It would be a help if you could prepare the table with the best linen and cutlery and perhaps a vase of flowers from the garden. Also, if you could come down a little early to serve the sherry to the guests, whilst I finish off in the kitchen.’

‘I can do better than that. If you have everything well in hand by half past five. I’ll get myself ready early and take over responsibility for finishing off and serving up your meal, that way you can have a couple of hours to glam yourself up and make a spectacular entrance.’

‘Thank you.’

‘Will you need my help with your hair and makeup this afternoon?’ Jenny asked.

‘Thanks for the offer but I promised Aunt Carol that I’d get myself ready without your help on this occasion. I should be able to manage with my own makeup by now and will do my best to put my hair up the way you showed me last night, but I’d appreciate your opinion on my efforts before I finish.’

‘Alright then I’ll come up to your room at about seven to see how you’re doing.’


Clare kept her promise and was ready in plenty of time so she could take over the last minute preparations from me. Jenny also arrived as arranged, wearing a beautiful long lime green dress, with a pearl necklace and earrings. As usual, her hair and makeup were immaculate. That girl really knew how to make the best of her appearance and it would take all my best efforts to reach the same standard.

‘Jenny you look gorgeous in that dress — it’s the first time I’ve seen you in anything really formal,’ I said.

‘Thanks, I think your two elder cousins are also making an effort tonight, they don’t want to be overshadowed by you and Clare again as they were last Saturday,’ she replied.

‘Your Aunt Carol has arrived home and was asking about your whereabouts, but Clare’s managed to dissuade her from coming up to see you straight away. Instead she’s having a shower and putting on a long dress and will come down at around half past seven. My Mum will also be here in the next half hour, as soon as she’s finished changing,’ she said.

By now I had showered, dressed in my underclothes, and had completed my makeup. I was in process of dealing with my hair.

‘So what do you think of my efforts so far,’ I asked.

She had a careful look at my face.

‘Your makeup’s very good, as I am sure you realise. You are a quick learner, Emily.’

‘Thanks, I’ve been doing my best but it is nice to have an expert like you confirm that I look presentable. What do you think about my hair?’

She replaced a couple of grips and pointed out where I needed one or two more to keep things in place, and then pronounced herself satisfied. Then she helped me put on my dress and shoes. Finally she handed me my earrings and necklace and squirted some ‘smellies’ on to me.

‘Wait here,’ she said, ‘I’ll just make sure that everyone else is already downstairs and then call your mobile so you can make your entrance.’


Five minutes later I walked carefully downstairs to meet my six lady guests all of whom were wearing their best evening dresses. The conversation subsided for a moment as I entered the living room, and then I heard Anne’s voice.

‘See mum, I told you Emily would look absolutely stunning in that party frock.’

My cheeks coloured a little, but I knew that I looked good as I smiled and said hello to my guests.

‘Emily you look really lovely, did you really get yourself ready without any help,’ asked Carol looking at Jenny.

I blushed again.

‘I promise you that I did nothing more than a last minute inspection, this is all her own work,’ Jenny replied.

‘You couldn’t possibly want to make her change back into jeans and tee shirts after seeing her tonight,’ Karen surmised.

‘We’ll have to see,’ her mother replied.


My dinner party was an absolute success. It was a very sophisticated affair with five young women and two middle-aged ones all wearing long party frocks. It only lacked a few guys in dinner jackets, to hold our chairs while we sat down, or to pour the wine for us, but on this occasion nobody seemed to mind.

I had planned to help serve the meal myself, but the others insisted that I remained seated at the table, as I had done the cooking and most of the preparation. My three cousins each took a turn at serving the dishes, clearing the table and loading the dishwasher. I was seated between Clare and Karen and so was not able to eavesdrop on anything said between Carol and Joyce amongst the hubbub of conversation around the table - but it was obvious that they were talking about me.

‘Don’t worry, Joyce is on your side,’ Karen murmured to me, having read my thoughts. She had just finished serving them and had been able to overhear their conversation.

‘What do you think they’re they saying?’ I whispered.

‘Mum was asking whether she thought it odd for you to be working as a waitress. Joyce replied that as far as she was concerned you were one of her best workers, and would continue to offer you work, as long as Carol and your mother did not object.’

There was nothing more I could do now, so I thought I might just as well sit back and enjoy the meal.


After the meal was finished everyone began to adjourn to the living room for coffee and mints.

‘Emily, can we have a brief talk before you go in to the other room?’ Carol asked.

As soon as the others had left we sat down again.

‘Well I must say you’ve convinced me to let you carry on as you are - at least until after you’ve had a talk with your mother next week. After that I’ll not object to your continuing as long as she’s also agreeable. I still have my worries about what you’re doing, but I’m not your mother, she must decide.’

‘Does that mean that I can travel down and meet Mum dressed as Emily?’

‘Yes I suppose your mother will need to see you as you are in order to make up her mind, but for heaven’s sake take care during the journey and telephone me as soon as you get there.’

‘Oh thanks so much Aunt Carol,’ I said giving her a kiss on the cheek.

‘You’d better take this to get yourself some more clothes,’ she said handing me the money from my mother’s cheque.

I thanked her but did not think at that time it would be wise to mention that I’d already spent the money on clothes for Emily.


Carol and I returned to the front room where I told the others that I’d be remaining as Emily for the next week, and after that it would be subject to my meeting with my mother.

‘So can you also continue working for me next week as well,’ asked Joyce.

Carol nodded.

‘I’m so relieved I would hate to lose one of my best waitresses at such short notice.’

‘I’m hoping that Mum will agree to let me work for you for the whole summer when I see her,’ I said.

‘I hope she agrees,’ said Jenny.

‘I’ll have plenty of work for the three of you, if she does,’ said Joyce.

(Next time Things begin to settle down
now that Aunt Carol has returned.)

Gabi Bunton had recently started to help me with the editing of my story and had commented on drafts of chapters 12 to 15 at the time of her sudden death last week. Although we never met or spoke to one another, I was most grateful for her friendly and perceptive comments on my writing in a number of recent emails and I shall miss her help in future. I hope I’ve been able to learn from these few lessons from such an expert editor, as I know that other TC authors have done. Louise

up
241 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Fortuitous Adventure: 13

Wondering if Emily will want to return to Chris mode, or will choose to stay after summer is over.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Gabi Was A Lovely Lady

joannebarbarella's picture

Your writing is just fine and I'm sure Gabi helped you if there were any rough edges to rub off. I corresponded with her on a regular basis and she helped me a lot.

We'll all miss her.