The Center: I joined The Center and all I got was This!?

Printer-friendly version

The Center: I joined The Center and all I got was This!?

The Center and all characters introduced elsewhere
are Copyright  © Lillith Langtree et all.
All else are belong to me (Copyright  © 2011 Faeriemage)
All Rights Reserved.

Ok, I know, here is the beginning of my story where I'm supposed to either introduce myself to all of you, or tell about my last day of high school, or whatever BS.

Look, I'm happy I'm female now. Ecstatic. Yeah, sarcasm, but it would be a whole lot easier to take if only I'd gotten. . .

You know what? Maybe I should start at the beginning. No, this isn't a bitch session. I just want you all to realize the magnitude. . .ok, so I'm just complaining.

Sigh.

I really would prefer to begin at the beginning, however.

I never went to high school. I had no friends. No neighbors. Nothing but my pa and I didn't see him most of the time anyway.

It wasn't a bad life. Up when I wanted to. Slept when I wanted to. Fished, and hunted, and generally got up to nothing much, you guessed it, when I wanted to.

My Pa had this idea back before the year 2000 that the entire world was about to end, so he packed me up, and our dog brisket, and we moved out into the Canadian Rockies. Sure, I bemoaned losing my PS2 and my x-box for a little while, but I soon learned the benefits of living off the land.

Mom died in childbirth, but anyone who's already read one of these 'Center' stories already knows that. I never knew her, so I never missed her.

Ok, so that was a little disjointed, but it's these damn female hormones that keep flooding my system. I find it hard to be all logical like and follow my own train of thought. That and I suddenly missed my mom for some reason.

So, anyway. I was living in the mountains in Canada and happy as all get out, when I begin to notice I'm not the only one in the woods.

No, most people, or at least those a little closer to civilization wouldn't pay no nevermind to a couple of cute girls tramping across their property. Me, on the other hand, I simply stood there like the slack jawed idiot my Pa always accuses me of bein' and stared. I hadn't seen another human being in a long time, let alone a girl since I really hit puberty.

They tell me what I felt was my first, and only, raging hard on. That is one feeling I think I will never miss for the having.

So, up they walks to me, and all I'm thinkin' is that I'd really like to get to know them better. Lookin' at them is better than hunting and fishing combined. . .

Ugh. Sorry. They have been teaching me how to speak like a civilized being at the Center, but thinking about the life I led, and who I was, I reverted there for a minute.

So, these two girls walk up to me and introduce themselves:

"Hi, I'm Kris. Are you Anderson Anders?"

Yeah, my Pa was really original when naming me.

"That's me. Who're you? I meant t'other one?" I turned to look at the other girl.

"I'm Dani. We're here because. . ."

You know what, you don't need the same tired explanation of blah blah genetics lab blah blah terrorists blah blah bottle water. I kept trying to peek down Kris' shirt without her catching me, and I didn't really pay attention to what Dani was saying until. . .

"Will you quit trying to look down my shirt!"

I went beet red. I thought I was being sneaky. Dani blushed too, something to do with being an empath.

I mumbled something like, "Sorry, I didn't mean for you to see me doing that," which actually came out as , "Serblerglesnort."

Well, that's what Kris told me later, you know, after the transition. Yeah, I didn't find it all that interesting either.

So, they tell me that I'm supposed to be changing into some superhero, and then within another twenty-four hours into a girl, and I fainted.

Dead away.

When I came to I was in the back of an SUV and we were already out of the woods I was familiar with. I figured Pa wouldn't miss me much, and we buried Brisket three years ago so he certainly wouldn't miss me. Being with a couple of girls, even if they thought they used to be guys, wasn't all that bad.

So, there we were, off-roading in a Black SUV and we blow the left rear tire. I specify the left rear tire for a reason. Being the manly almost could be considered a gentlemant in the right bad lighting I was, I got out and changed the tire. We had one.

Yeah, you guessed it. We drove along for another ten miles or so and loose the right rear tire.

Now, since getting back to the Center, I've learned that little miss Dani is some sort of precog. She failed completely to see any of this.

There we were, miles from hom and nowhere near civilization, and all that was left was for us to walk.

And walk we did. The girls lost their un-sensible footwear, and I let Dani borrow my boots. They almost fit her and I was still pissed at Kris for embarrassing me. I didn't need them as I walked around barefoot half the time anyway.

So, we walked for the rest of the day, and made camp for the night on the side of the almost road we were following.

No wackiness ensued. Sometimes I wish my life were a bad TV movie pitch.

We got up the next morning at dawn, and I relished the opportunity I'd just gotten to sleep in. Usually getting up when I wanted meant three or four AM to get to the best hunting spots before the deer came over the ridge.

We got up and walked the rest of the day again. Well most of the rest of the day. Kris cut up her feet pretty bad, and I had to apply a field dressing using the only suitable cloth we had available. My socks.

I offered to tear up her shirt and use that, but I think she thought I just wanted a better look at her breasts.

She'd been right about that.

So, her feet wrapped up, we continued to walk. About dusk, we realized that we must be near some civilization due to all the light pollution that was even then trying to dispel the darkness.

I sighed in relief because I was tired of the slow pace these gals had been keeping. Sure they were good to look at, but we'd only walked about forty miles in two days. It was downright disgraceful.

So, after getting into the town, and finally getting somewhere with cell service, Kris makes a call to someone or other named the Colonel and let's him know what's up.

They sent a car round to get us, which we gladly accepted. I may have been a fit and strapping young lad, but Pa didn't raise no idiot.

From there we were off to a private airfield and a Jet. Might tiny thing she was too, but since there were no other passengers going to board her, we had her to ourselves.

No wackiness ensued. Damn it.

So, we landed, and we got in another of those SUVs. Black of course. I was wary to be riding along in this one, but the tires held out long enough for us to get to the institution that they called the Center.

They lead me out to the bunker they called Containment, saying they had no idea what my power would be, and that if it were dangerous that I needed to be in here.

I started to get a little bit excited here. Maybe I would be able to throw lightning bolts like Kris, or fire, or maybe I would be nuclear, or you know something cool like being able to walk on walls.

I get in there, and get all locked in, and the countdown begins. I have a couple hours left from what they tell me.

I get this massive headache, and just lie down with my eyes closed waiting for the end. Or the beginning.

I begin to feel the weirdest feeling in my gut and chest, and I just start thinking, here it comes. The feeling grows, but I hold onto consciousness hoping that I might get a glimpse of my power. It was ironic, really, but you get to see that in a moment.

I blacked out with this feeling of hope.

I woke up, and nothing. No smell of smoke. No feel of electricity. No telepathy. No empathy. Nothing.

I opened my eyes. . .and realized that I used to be color blind. Yeah used to be. I can now see all the colors of the rainbow. Well, and distinguish more than most other people.

Yeah, that's my "super" power.

My response was pretty much what yours would be.

"Oh, no. This is BULL. . ."

up
152 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Different.

Interesting power.

good for a giggle

maybe i should send Fluke to the center to cheer her up....

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Funny and a little sad too

.Here he gets his life disrupted and for color vision and a sex change?

Okay enhanced color vision.

Hum, was his mom only exposed to the tainted water a short time?

OR have her powers not fully manifested? Mid you enhanced color vision could be more powerful in a detective fashion than you think. She could see things normal people have to use UV lights ir IR filters and cameras to detect. So she could make a great crime investigator or archeologist or medical doctor and such.

Plus not everyone fits the pattern. Some kids turned far younger than others due to dosage and precocious puberty. Maybe her power has not manifested yet or it is very unusual so has not been noted yet?

Interesting however this goes.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

What powers? What powers?

Andrea Lena's picture

Are you kidding me? She outdoes Da Vinci... she surpasses Picasso... she vanquishes Van Gogh... she surmounts Matisse... She trounces Toulouse-Lautrec... Up in the loft... with a Palette... with an Easel... with a Brush...

It's Spectragirl!

Spectragirl is funded in part by a grant from the
National Endowment for the Arts and by folks like you!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

IF . . .

She has any artistic skills. And that is a very big "IF"! Besides, what good is an ability to draw or paint in colors nobody else can see? Not much of a market, unless that emperor with the new clothes is looking for something to hang on the castle walls.

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

More will be revealed?

Interesting start. I would love to read more. I do like your writing, Dearie.

Dance, Love, and cook with joy and great abandon

It was joke.

Hence the tongue-in-cheek tag at the top.

Oh well.

I guess it was my delivery.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

I know...

Very funny but you have me interested - if you wish to continue the joke into a full blown story I would be glad to read it - I loved the rich dialogue, the dry wit and the amusing catch phrase regarding no wackiness. A real treat - keep going Faeriemage.

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

Catch phrase.

Looks like I will probably have a new one for each chapter, as there is a different one used in the next one. I may come back to one or the other or both :)

Not sure if I can keep the same tone from the first one, but we'll see.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

Loved It :)

Enemyoffun's picture

Joke or Not....I LOVED it :) Sometimes the Center gets a little dark---I know it does when I write it---so I'm glad this is here to lighten things up a bit.

You never know...

She may be able to see in infra-red, ultra-violet, and even non-light spectrums!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

No Wackiness Ensued...

I loved that line. Like she was disappointed that everything went right.

And her power? Priceless.

Thanks for this very amusing story.

Maggie

maybe not all they got?

Maybe you should continue the story and turn it into a real power like being able to effect colors or even create some kind of camouflage. Just a thought! Anyway, I liked it!

Shhh

You'll make it look like you gave me ideas.

Yeah, with everyone calling for more, I've written another chapter. Unfortunately, I am going to actually wait until tomorrow before posting it.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

Some have senses related to their power

Some convertees (is that a word? :-) have senses related to their power, so maybe she can change the colour of things? OK, I assumed from the "Tongue-in-cheek" it was a gag, and I did find it funny in an "oh, no!" kind of way. :-)

If it wasn't for the tag I may have wondered why (a) he didn't change during the two day hike, and (b) why they didn't have a satellite phone to call for help, and (c) why no-one from the Centre came looking for them.

Now this would have been a good April Fools story!

I'm looking forward to reading more-even if this is the extent of her abilities. Seeing the Center from a normal(?) person's outlook could be interesting. Especially if all the guys look down her shirt!

Wren

April Fools

Yeah, I thought so too at the time. The unfortunate thing was that it only came to me Sunday evening.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

Sometimes you have to wonder. . .

. . .when normal in your universe is a backwoods hick transplanted to Canada. 8D

*hugs*Lilith. I mean nothing by it. I like the Center stories.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

Okay.

Comparatively Normal. Better? Sheesh! LOL!

Wren