Somewhere Else Entirely -31-

Printer-friendly version

Garia tells the Council of the Two Worlds what she remembers about the AntiKythera device and they draw some interesting conclusions. Later, Keren has a near miss, Robanar makes a decision, plans for the festival are made and Garia and Merizel visit Mistress Yolda once more.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

31 - Cleaning Crew


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2017 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"Are you certain, Mistress?" Robanar asked.

"Absolutely certain, Sire," Garia replied. "I recognize the writing, I know of this device. It definitely originated on Earth."

The evening meeting of the Council of the Two Worlds had hastily rewritten its agenda when Garia made her discovery known to the King during the evening meal. Now all those seated around the large oval table leaned forward to inspect the battered wooden box which had suddenly assumed an unexpected importance.

"There was a program on the Discovery Channel a while back," she explained. The words 'program', 'discovery' and 'channel' were known to Palarand, but their use in the same sentence made no sense to her listeners at all. However, they all knew that she was likely to use odd combinations of words and made allowance for that fact. The main point was that she had knowledge of the device, and they accepted that.

"It basically described the discovery of this device by accident during a search of a shipwreck by divers about a hundred years ago. Earth years, that is. The parts they were able to find were all corroded by seawater and encrusted with sea life and it was many years before anyone could figure out what it was or how it worked. Only by using some advanced techniques we have of seeing through solid objects -" here, Gerdas and Parrel's eyes widened, but they remained silent, "- did we finally figure out how all the sprockets and wheels worked. It was possible to read the inscriptions, or what parts of them remained, and so it was thought that the ship that it had been on had sunk about two thousand years ago."

"You have records that go back that far, Mistress?" Pitchell asked.

Garia shook her head. "Mostly, no, Master Pitchell. Our knowledge of those times is extremely fragmentary. They used scrolls and parchment the same as you do, and you know how fragile those can be over time. The best records we have are inscriptions on stone and most of those just tell us the name of the person who died and where they were buried. Oh, a tiny bit of classical literature was preserved, but most of it is long gone."

Pitchell considered. "But then, how can you know just how long ago this sinking happened, Mistress?"

"As I understand it the forms of the letters change slowly over time. There were other things found in the wreck, pottery and such like, which would also give the finders some clues."

Parrel was fingering the device, which stood on a square of thick felt to avoid scratching the table top. "Mistress, what then is this intended to do? It seems very complicated."

"I don't remember the exact details, but I believe it is a kind of calendar machine. The idea is that you use the handle on the side to line up some of the pointers on the front and back to the current date and then some of the other indicators will tell you various related things."

"Two thousand years ago?" mused Tanon. "It doesn't look as if it could be that old, surely?"

Parrel looked up. "It would seem to me, Master Tanon, that this wooden case is not the original box the mechanism was held in. The metal parts look as if they might be that old, certainly. Let me see... ah, yes, look, I can release the insides, so."

He pushed with his thumbs on two pegs set flush on the sides of the box and the top popped free. He then eased the metal frame out with his fingers, everyone craning forwards to look.

"Maker! The complexity. Mistress, what did you say you thought this did?"

"I'm not an expert, Master Parrel, but I guess it shows the position of the sun and the moon, and perhaps some of our planets as well." She shrugged. "It might show eclipses, seasons, I don't really remember. It must be at least a couple years since I saw that program."

Parrel tried to move the handle but with no success. "The inside is filthy," he muttered. "I would hesitate to take apart something this precious to clean it, though. I would never be able to put it together again."

"You might be able to clean it whole," Garia said doubtfully, "if you made a bath of light oil mixed with alcohol and dropped it in. I'm not sure that there is much point cleaning inside, though. It wouldn't work here on Anmar."

"Why not, Mistress?" Gerdas asked.

"Because it is designed for our days, which are shorter than yours, remember, our years, also shorter, and our moon, which goes round quicker than yours." She shook her head. "It's possible someone tried to use it when it first arrived here but found it didn't work. After that, it's an interesting example of clever engineering but otherwise just a curiosity. Until I arrived to identify it, no-one would have the faintest idea what it was or how it was used."

"How do you know this device is so old, Mistress," Robanar asked, "and not a modern copy?"

"Because the making of anything this complicated was an art that was lost for about fifteen hundred years, Sire. Until this was found no-one had any idea that people two thousand years ago could even make devices this complicated. In fact, for a long while the remains were thought to be a hoax. There are some modern copies made," she allowed, "but they are all precious enough to be kept under lock and key in museums around the world. I can't imagine that this is one of those."

"It is not, Mistress," Gerdas said, and Garia's eyebrows rose. "This is one of a very small number of strange objects which the Society of Questors is custodian of. It is normally in the possession of the Royal Questor, whoever that may be, and I can tell you that it has been kept here in the palace for at least three hundred years."

"So," she said slowly, "it could be an original one, if not the same one that was found in the shipwreck."

Gerdas's brow furrowed. "I don't understand your meaning, Mistress. How could this device be both here and on the seabed on Earth? Is that possible?"

"I've been puzzling over that myself," she said, "and it all comes down to the mechanism that brought me here, doesn't it? When I arrived, and we have to put aside the fact that I am female rather than male for the moment, everything that was presumably on my body came with me. My clothes, my wallet and more importantly my watch, which still works." She leaned forward. "Now, it is undeniable that I am a copy of who I used to be on Earth, even if the copy is flawed. If I were the original then I would be male, wouldn't I? Is it possible that all my belongings are copies too? Is it possible that this machine is a copy of the one in the wreck, made in the same way? And that the owner of the device was holding it at the moment the ship went down, and that was the reason that he and everything he was carrying ended up here?"

There was silence around the table while everyone tried to digest this possible scenario.

"You are saying this was the way you were brought here, Mistress?" Robanar asked.

Garia shook her head. "Sire, I merely offer it as one possible explanation. I suspect there is no way we are ever going to find out the truth. This is all way beyond anything we are capable of doing on Earth."

"But the implication," Gerdas said, "is that others have come to Anmar before you."

"Exactly, Master Gerdas."

"If so," he mused, "then there may be other traces in the historical records." He gave Garia a rueful smile. "Mistress, I'm not sure what we should be looking for, but at least we now know that there might be something to look for at all! I will consult with the several historians amongst the Questors. "

"Gerdas," Parrel told him, "this marvelous device has been hidden away all these years, and no-one in my guild ever knew it existed."

Gerdas reddened. "I apologize on behalf of the Questors for the oversight, Master Parrel. It has been stored away in the palace, forgotten by all, probably for centuries. Do you wish to take it away and examine it?"

"If you would permit, Master Gerdas. You know we will take great care with such a precious object."

"As you desire, Master Parrel." Gerdas turned to address them all. "It is one of those customary things that the Royal Questor does when he takes office," he explained. "He tries to make sense of the curiosities we have collected over the years. Apparently Master Morlan had no more success with this than any of his predecessors did. Perhaps we need a change of custom." He smiled at Garia. "We seem to be changing many customs at the moment, do we not? When you discover any other strange objects in Morlan's workshop, Mistress, we will offer them for examination among the guilds."

"As you wish, Master Gerdas."

~o~O~o~

"You look troubled, Mistress."

Jenet was helping Garia remove her evening gown before bathing that evening.

"I am. I'm just wondering if what we found today means that I have died on Earth. Or whether I just disappeared or something. I wonder if my Mom and Dad are okay, or if they're mourning my death? In some ways it would be nice to know, even though it's not going to affect anything I do here. Am I just a missing person? I doubt I'll ever find out."

"I don't know what to think, Mistress. The nearest I can think of your plight is to imagine if I had been kidnapped and taken to a far island, with people who talk with different words and have strange customs. I think I would be very unhappy to have left all that was familiar behind me."

"You're right, Jenet." Garia smiled. "I'm just lucky that I have arrived at a place where I'm looked after and not taken for a crazy person. I can't begin to thank everyone enough for all the kindness they have shown me, and I can only do my best to try and repay the favor." Her expression became serious. "But I still can't stop wondering what happened back home, how my folks are."

"It wouldn't be natural if you didn't, Mistress. Just try not to let it upset you too much. You're too far away from your home to know what happened, and too far away to do anything about it."

"As you say, Jenet. As you say."

~o~O~o~

"What do you think of our little treasure's latest revelation, dearest?"

"A surprise, my love," Robanar replied, "but not entirely unexpected. After all, if she can travel between the worlds along with her belongings then it must be possible that others can as well. There was always a chance that someone else from Earth might end up here."

Terys raised her head from Robanar's chest. "But if she is right, that was a very long time ago. Do you think there have been others since?"

"No. At least, there cannot have been very many, otherwise their presence would be familiar to us. On the other hand, before the Great Convocation, it is possible that such travelers may have been killed by religious fanatics or taken for insane. We simply don't know, the records from those times are not good enough."

"But Gerdas said he'd talk to the historians."

"He did, true, and we may perhaps learn of earlier travelers. But as far as we know, there is only Garia here at the moment, and she has arrived at exactly the right time and place to make an enormous difference to everyone and everything on Anmar, and I for one don't believe that it happened by accident. That being the case, we must ensure that nothing happens to prevent those changes taking place."

"But we must balance those changes carefully, otherwise our society will erupt in chaos. She herself has warned us of the possible consequences."

"Hinted at them, you mean. We must find out more, now that some of her inventions are beginning to appear courtesy of the guilds. She still needs our absolute protection."

Terys chuckled. "I don't think you have much to concern yourself with there, dearest. Your guardsmen have sworn their allegiance to you, it is true, but I suspect every man of them would follow her to the ends of Anmar itself."

Robanar grunted, and his hands wrapped themselves round the shoulders of his beloved Queen. She snuggled closer to him on their bed.

"I'm not worried about the guard suddenly taking off," he said after a while. "In fact, that they like her so much already is a good thing. They will protect her as they protected our daughters when they were younger. I am more concerned with other problems she might face in the future, problems of status and rights. Her status is that of a freewoman only, even though we have legally adopted her. She has a baron's daughter for a secretary, and she lives in a princess's chambers, but she is not technically even a subject of Palarand. I'm sure that even you can think of people who would find mischief in such an arrangement."

"As you say, dearest. And there are those who will find mischief if you elevate her," Terys said. "A fifteen-year-old girl, recently arrived? There are those who have served you faithfully for decades who would resent such an action."

He sighed. "It is not a perfect world, and some will be offended whatever I do. You're right, of course, I do not wish to create a controversy at such a time as this. Perhaps, since she is introducing new ideas, we may think of a different way to achieve our purpose, a way that does not offend others, I don't know. Let me think this through over the next few days, my love, take counsel. The festival presents a perfect opportunity to make changes such as this, and also to present her to the public of the city. As always, your own ideas will be most gratefully considered."

"She shall ride with us in the parade, do you think?"

"Of course. In fact, why not let her ride with Keren in his own carriage? He is old enough to merit a separate carriage now, let us put them all in it. We used to let Elizet and Malann have their own carriage, didn't we? Keren was still small, then, so he rode with us. Soon, now, he will be legally a man, it is time for him to begin acting the part."

"As you wish, dearest."

~o~O~o~

"Just how much were you planning to clean in here, Garia?" Keren asked the following afternoon.

"Not much more than we've already done," she replied. "I want to make sure that as people walk through they don't disturb anything, raise more dust as they pass. There is one thing, though, that I thought of this morning, and I should have thought of it yesterday before we started, really."

"What's that, then?"

"Only that we should have looked over the whole room before we started," she said. "The bench we cleared obviously hadn't been touched for a long time, but Morlan must have done some experiments in here in recent times. If we look for the areas where the dust is least, or where it has been cleaned off shelves and surfaces, that may tell us what he was last working on."

Keren nodded. "I should have thought of that myself. We were so engrossed in actually cleaning that we forgot anything else, didn't we? Let's spread out and have a quick look through what we haven't touched so far. Ah! And I'd better go and have a word with Merizel and Bursila, mention the same thing."

"Good thinking. Jenet and I will take a side each while you're doing that."

They found several benches where items had been removed leaving rectangular or circular holes in the layer of dust. Most of these had more layers of dust, showing that time had passed since the items had been moved. Two benches at the study end of the room were completely clear and items had been moved from nearby shelves but there were few clues as to what the items had been or where they now were or what Morlan might have been doing.

Keren came back. "Amazingly, Bursila already had that idea," he said. "Unfortunately, there are just so many documents in there that I'm not sure it's going to help us. Merizel has made a note of places which seemed most free of dust, perhaps we can investigate later. What have you found in here?"

Garia explained and they checked over the areas again before returning to the space by the furnace.

"What's through that door, then? Can we allow people to enter that way, do you think?"

"One of the cross-corridors, I imagine. Jenet, have you the keys? Let's open the door and find out."

It was a corridor junction, with routes leading left, right and straight ahead. After a little exploration Keren said he recognized where they were.

"That will do very well, I think, providing everyone agrees," he said as they went back to the laboratory. "It will save everyone tramping through the palace and then through Morlan's quarters." He gave a soft snort. "Perhaps we should stop calling it Morlan's quarters, too, although I'm not sure what name we should give it instead. It's been Morlan's quarters since the day I was born, at least." He turned to Garia. "What next?"

"If people will be coming in that door, perhaps we'd better clean up this space at the end. Once we've done that we can go and help Merizel in the study."

The furnace and nearby tools were heavily coated with dust, showing it had been a long time since Morlan had used them. As it rose at the slightest touch they were forced to put scarves over their faces to stop breathing it. The scarves were worn cowboy-style, leaving just their eyes visible. The dust was carefully swept into piles and collected in buckets which Jenet then disposed somewhere else in the palace. It was while Jenet was gone on one of these trips that they had an unpleasant surprise. A footman walked into the laboratory and approached them very gingerly.

"I'm looking for Prince Keren and Mistress Garia," he said. "Do you know where I might find them? I was told they would be in these rooms."

Keren had been shocked by the unexpected intrusion and kept his face turned away, using the broom he was holding to push imaginary dust around the stone floor. Garia hooked a finger and pulled the scarf down from her face.

"I'm Mistress Garia," she said. The man's eyes widened but he made no comment about her appearance. "You have a message for us?"

"For yourself and the Prince, Mistress," he said, looking around for Keren.

It was obvious that he wasn't going to say any more until he could identify the Prince or be certain he was elsewhere. Garia kept her expression as calm as it could be and turned to her companion.

"Kereena, the Prince is in the bedroom. Would you go and fetch him, please?"

Keren stood, leant his broom against the wall, bobbed a creditable curtsey and walked off. Garia turned to the footman and tried to make sure he didn't watch the figure with the non-feminine gait as it departed.

"Can you at least tell me who this is message from?"

"The Queen, Mistress. It concerns the coming festival."

"Ah. Yes, I needed to talk to Her Majesty about that."

The footman gazed about at the contents of the room while they waited.

"Have you never been in here before?" she asked him.

"No, Mistress. Master Morlan was very jealous of his privacy. On a very few occasions he would require help to move some of his equipment in or out of here, but it was usually the very strongest of the servants he asked for."

"Yes, some of the items in here are rather heavy. I wonder what's keeping the Prince?"

As if I didn't know. How did this footman get in here? Because Jenet holds the key, that's why, and she wouldn't lock us in behind her when she went out, in case there was an emergency. I do hope we haven't frightened Keren too much. At home people sometimes do crazy things, especially at Halloween, but here it might not be so appropriate for the future King to get involved like this. I'm almost sorry I suggested it in the first place. Almost, but not quite.

Keren appeared in his tunic, serious but composed.

"Yes? You have a message?"

"Your Highness, the Queen desires the presence of yourself and Mistress Garia in her sitting room at or about the tenth bell today, to discuss preparations for the forthcoming festival."

Keren nodded. "Very well. Are you returning to Her Majesty?"

"I am, Highness."

"Tell her we'll be there, then."

The footman turned to go, but Garia stopped him.

"Wait. Does the Queen want to see just us two? Did she mention Lady Merizel, by any chance?"

"She did not, Mistress."

"Okay, then tell her Lady Merizel will attend as well, if you would."

"As you wish, Mistress."

The man bowed and then walked off, passing Jenet in the passage between the domestic rooms.

"I'm sorry, Highness, Mistress! It never occurred to me that someone would come in here while I was gone." She looked at Keren nervously. "Highness, did he see anything he shouldn't have? I should not have left you in danger of discovery."

Keren grinned, and Garia knew that everything was going to be all right.

"He only saw what he expected to see, Jenet. With a scarf over my face he could not have identified me, and your mistress had the presence of mind to send me off to fetch myself. Maker! I've never changed my clothes so fast before!" The grin broadened. "Kereena, is it? I bet he'll be wondering why he's never heard of a maid by that name before!"

Jenet turned her face expectantly to Garia, who told her, "The Queen wants to see us about the tenth bell, Jenet."

"Mistress, we had better all go and change, then. We will need to bathe, and dinner will be shortly afterwards in any case."

"As you say, Jenet. Lead the way."

Refreshed and in their proper evening attire the five presented themselves at the Queen's sitting room just as the tenth bell struck in the distance. They took seats and Terys began.

"This isn't very important, my dears, but I thought I had better make sure everyone understood what will be happening on the day of the Harvest Festival, which is barely a week away now. Keren knows what his duties and responsibilities are, but the positions of you two, Garia and Merizel, are somewhat complicated, I'm afraid. You two have unusual responsibilities here in the palace, more so for Garia since she is so young. I must reassure you that we would not wish it to be otherwise, especially at the moment with so much going on.

"Garia, dear, I can tell you that the King is determined to find some way of making your position in the palace more in line with the work that you do, but to do so he must consult with many people both within the palace and outside in the city. We both intend that this should happen before the festival begins so that you may take your rightful place with us in the procession. Once we have found the correct status for you then Lady Merizel's own position will automatically fall into the proper place. Do you understand this?"

Garia was humbled. "Yes, Your Majesty. I don't deserve this, I really don't."

"Nonsense, dear! You have already done more for Palarand, and indeed for all Alaesia, than almost anyone we can think of throughout history. You deserve this both for that, and to make sure that you can continue to do so without hindrance. Anything the King can do for you will be an additional protection against those things that others might attempt."

"As you say, Ma'am." She hesitated. "Ma'am, isn't there a risk that some will be upset by what the King intends? There are already those who dislike the changes I've started."

"Indeed, dear. That is why the King must consult, to find a way through this puzzle. Do not worry yourself, dear." Terys smiled at Garia. "He is confident that he will carry the day."

"Thank you, Ma'am. Uh, about the day itself, what will happen to us? We have not been told anything as yet."

"It has been difficult to arrange, and in part this is due to your strange position, and part of why the King feels that he needs to do something about it. What we intend is that you will join the royal party, both of you will progress through the streets with Keren in his own carriage. You will spend the day with us in the Royal Marquee and join in our activities. Have we not told you that we consider you to be an adopted daughter? Just so, then you should be treated as one. Merizel is your secretary, of course she should accompany you."

"Ma'am, there was some mention of special gowns made, I didn't want to go to Mistress Yolda until I found out what Merizel would be doing."

Terys nodded. "Of course, dear. I shall send a note explaining our decision, and she should provide you both with what is required. We wear special light gowns, my dears, because we are going to spend all day at the festival. It may be very hot and we want to make sure that we will be comfortable all day, as much as we are able."

"Thank you, Ma'am."

Terys looked up at her own maids. "Kenila, Varna, go and find something else to do for a few moments, will you? You can come back when the dinner bell sounds."

The two looked at Terys with surprise, but made no complaint, just giving her a curtsey as they went out the door. The others looked at the Queen with apprehension. It was unheard of for the Queen not to have even one of her maids in attendance.

"I had occasion," Terys said, "to go down to the dining room earlier this afternoon. There was a problem with the latest delivery of forks, nothing to worry about, just some mistake the man delivering them had made. I happened to look in the direction of Morlan's workshop to see five female servants busy cleaning it." She raised an eyebrow, but no-one said anything. They didn't have to, the expression on all their faces told Terys the story. She looked at Garia.

"I trust this was your idea, dear?"

"Uh, Your Majesty, Keren so wanted to help, but Mistress Yolda was being difficult again. It occurred to me that he could share our outfits. I'm sorry, I should never have suggested it, Ma'am."

Terys's eyes flashed at the mention of Yolda but her face creased in a smile.

"I have no problem with it, dear. Keren, did anyone see you?"

"No, Mother. That is, yes, Mother, the footman you sent for us saw me, but he didn't know it was me. I take it this was not a good idea?"

"As I said, I have no problem with it, although your father may have a different opinion. What may be appropriate behavior for a Prince would certainly not be for a King, as you well understand. He may well remind you of the dignity of your position." She chuckled suddenly, startling them all. "If he does so, I shall just remind him of some of the escapades he got up to when he was your age, dear. You may continue with whatever you were doing over there, and you certainly need to be properly protected as you do so. I trust you will continue to be discreet?"

"As you command, Mother." He raised an eyebrow. "Escapades?"

Terys made a dismissive gesture with one hand. "Another time, dear. When you're older, perhaps. So tell me, are your investigations proceeding well?"

"They are, Mother, but apart from that calendar machine we haven't found anything else yet worth bringing to anyone's attention. We've just about finished in the laboratory, we're going to concentrate on the study as that's where all the documents are."

Terys nodded. "Good. As a woman I naturally have a tidy mind, and Master Morlan may have been clever but one thing no-one could accuse him of was being tidy. I have only visited his domain on a small number of occasions but the mess offended me." Garia opened her mouth to speak but Terys waved a finger. "No, Garia, I do know that his experiments required a little... creative disorder, let us say, but the man never ever tidied up after himself! I'm glad that the five of you are bringing some organization back to that part of the palace. Perhaps," she added with a smile, "we should require that all holders of the post of Royal Questor must be married in future."

"That would cause consternation in the ranks," Keren said. He explained to Garia and Merizel, "About half of them are loners who spend most of their lives buried in their work. Marriage and Questors don't seem to mix very well."

"Thank you, Ma'am," Garia told her. "We'll try and be extra careful in future."

"I'm pleased to hear it, my dear. Now, it seems to me that it is about time for dinner. Jenet, put your head round the door and see if my maids are nearby. There's no harm in arriving early, is there?"

~o~O~o~

The following morning when Garia arrived in the training room she found Captains Bleskin and Merek there, surrounded by the ten guardsmen.

"Good morning, Captain. Is there some problem?"

"Good morning to you, Highness, Mistress, Milady. It is now seven days before the Harvest Festival, and in the preceding week the men usually do some specific practice related to the processions and the ceremonies in the field. Of course, your File is now not part of the usual organization of the guard, and we were trying to determine what to do with them."

"My File, Captain?"

"A Quadrant is usually forty men, Mistress. It is normally divided into four Files of ten, each commanded by a File Leader. As you have ten under your instruction, we have naturally begun referring to them as 'Garia's File', although this would not be an official designation, of course."

"I see. Captain, they are your men, you may assign them as you wish. I would not want to get in your way at such an important time."

Bleskin beamed at her. "Thank you, Mistress. However, there still remains the question of deployment. As your men are from all the five quadrants, it may not be easy to return them for such a short period."

"An idea," Keren said. "Mistress Garia and Lady Merizel will be riding in a carriage with myself this year, Captain. As you know, Mistress Garia is considered to be of the royal party, and will be joining father, Mother and myself in our marquee during the day. Now we know that special care needs to be taken with Mistress Garia's security, bearing in mind the recent kidnap attempt, so perhaps these ten could be placed near to the carriage during the procession, and around her person at other times? With the extra knowledge they have already begun practicing, they may prove invaluable."

Merek raised an eyebrow. "Highness, do you describe a personal bodyguard for Mistress Garia?"

Keren shrugged. "Essentially, yes. Of course, they would also protect myself and Lady Merizel as required. I would not normally suggest such a thing, as the conduct of the guard in protecting us all is excellent as always, but the circumstances where Mistress Garia is concerned are unusual as we well know. I merely offer it as a suggestion, that is all."

"Your point is taken, Highness," Merek acknowledged. He turned to Bleskin. "Perhaps we should base our scheme on the Prince's idea?"

Bleskin nodded. "Let us do so, then." He addressed the men. "Do you all approve of this? Have any of you a reason this may not be successful? Any other concerns?"

It was plain the men liked the idea of being Garia's 'bodyguard', even though this was against normal Guard policy. The Guard protected the entire royal family, a special detachment around only one of its members might raise eyebrows but in the current circumstances no-one seemed to think that it would be a problem. That being the case, the captains decided that the usual squad drilling wouldn't be required and the preparations could be left for a day or two.

"Mistress, how are you organizing your practices?" Merek asked. "Since these men are not now on the normal Quadrant rotation, will you allow them some at-ease time?"

"Of course, Captain Merek. We've barely started yet, but I am planning to train for six days and then let them have the seventh at-ease, as you call it. On Earth we operate on seven-day weeks, the same as Palarand, and one or two days each week are non-working days depending on one's job. Will that be acceptable?"

"Indeed, Mistress. There are a number of staff associated with the guard, such as armorers, fletchers and sadlers who work to a similar scheme. We always take the welfare of our men very seriously."

"Your hand, Mistress," Bleskin asked. "I notice that you wear no bandage. Is it recovered yet?"

"Not yet, Captain. This is the first day without a bandage, but I really want to leave it for at least another two or three days before attempting to use it. I have some limited movement with it," she demonstrated, "and there's almost no pain unless I try to move my wrist too far. It's disappointing," she added, "I want to be out there on the mat, showing the men how to do the actions. With all respect to the Prince, he hasn't been doing it anywhere long enough to be a good teacher yet."

"I understand your frustration, Mistress. May we stay and watch you this morning?"

"Of course, Captain."

The two captains stayed and watched them all work through their Tai Chi, and then Captain Merek decided that he had better go and get some sleep, having been up most of the night. Captain Bleskin stayed until just before lunch, watching the men as Garia and Keren taught them falling, throws, hand and feet attacks and basic avoidance methods. He accompanied Keren and the four women back to the household part of the palace before parting. Kenila intercepted them as they returned to their rooms and they filed into the Queen's sitting room where she was waiting for them.

"My dears, I assume you had planned to go over to Morlan's workshop after your afternoon nap?"

"That was the plan, Mother," Keren confirmed.

"I think it might be better to get your festival outfits organized first, especially after the problem you had with the Mistress of the Wardrobe recently. If you would go to Mistress Yolda immediately after our sleep period, I will accompany you and make sure all is properly managed."

"As you wish, Mother."

~o~O~o~

The Mistress of the Wardrobe came rapidly to her feet, her face pale, as Queen Terys walked into her office. She gave a deep curtsey and licked her lips nervously.

"Your Majesty. Your visit is unexpected."

"You may relax, Yolda," Terys told her. "I'm not here to tell you off for anything you've done."

Everyone waiting outside the door heard the implied Yet. This time.

Terys continued, "For the Harvest Festival this year, these two girls will be traveling in Prince Keren's own carriage. I trust that you have suitable gowns for them?"

"Your Majesty, I have."

"While I am here, I will tell you that I have tried my own gown, and it still fits comfortably. Both the King and the Prince have told me that their own attire is still serviceable, although my son has said that he will probably need a new fitting next year." Terys smiled. "It seems he is still growing."

"As you say, Ma'am." Yolda walked around her desk. "I will see if someone is available to fit Lady Merizel and Mistress Garia, and if not," her eyes flickered briefly to Terys's impassive gaze, "I shall conduct the fitting myself."

Terys gave a brief nod. "You may continue, Mistress Yolda."

Yolda curtseyed and made her way from the room, carefully avoiding looking at or touching the others. When she returned she was accompanied by Rosilda.

"Your Majesty, I will place you and your party in Rosilda's capable hands."

They followed Rosilda out into a remembered hut, Merizel's eyes lighting up as she saw the rails of gowns. However, Rosilda took them to a different aisle where the gowns were long and mostly white or off-white.

"Your Majesty, Milady, Mistress, these are the gowns reserved for ceremonial wear," she explained. "I understand that Lady Merizel and Mistress Garia require gowns for the festival?"

"That is correct, dear," Terys confirmed.

"Then if I may, I shall start with Lady Merizel as she has a build I can more easily find a gown for."

After some rummaging Rosilda pulled out a gown and she, Merizel and Bursila went off to see if it was suitable.

"Do you find this uncomfortable, dear?" Terys asked Garia while they waited. "If the male temperament on Earth is anything like that of men here, then you would not wish to spend much time in such surroundings. I know both my menfolk would refuse to enter these huts even at sword-point."

"I would agree with you, Ma'am," Garia replied. "There are very few men of any age who enjoy shopping with mothers, girlfriends, wives or daughters. Before I came, I doubt I would voluntarily go near such a place, but since arriving I find that I'm not so bothered. Perhaps it's because I now have the right kind of body for the clothes, I don't know." Garia waved a hand at the rows of gowns. "I still find all this variety confusing, though. Life is so much simpler for a man where clothes are concerned." She gave a self-satisfied smile. "I have to say, though, that I quite enjoy wearing what I have been given. Especially in this hot weather, the clothes are so light and free, I barely know I'm wearing them sometimes. True, some of the long evening gowns are a bit awkward, but I can put up with that as they make me look good. I like the materials, to, well, most of them anyway. They feel so nice against my skin."

"And so you should, dear. Do you think your skin is softer than it was before?"

Garia shook her head. "I'm not really sure, Ma'am. It doesn't feel much different to me, but I do notice that when I'm training with the men that their bodies feel so much firmer somehow. I never noticed that when I was a boy."

"Did you not touch girls before, then? Did you not notice that their skin was softer?"

"Ma'am, I did, but I just thought that was because they were a girl. I mean, that's part of the reason boys are attracted to girls, isn't it? Because they have such soft, smooth skin."

"Of course, dear, and for us it works the other way as well. Perhaps you are beginning to discover this yourself, as you become used to your new circumstances."

"As you say, Ma'am."

I had forgotten that. Now I'm the one some boy wants to wrap his arms around, and it's strange, but I think I might not object to that any more. However, there's only one boy I want to wrap his arms around me just now, and he's the one I can't have...

"What do you think?"

Merizel had returned and stood at the end of the aisle facing them, wearing her gown. It was white with a hint of palest pink. It fell from the gathered shoulders directly down to the floor in a soft, filmy cascade. It was caught under the bust by a tied ribbon which shaped her figure Grecian-style. There were loose floaty sleeves which reached to just above her elbows. She looked absolutely stunning.

"You look beautiful, my dear. Shall you turn around for us?"

Blushing, Merizel did so.

"Very good, my dear." Terys became thoughtful. "If you are to remain resident in the palace, then perhaps we should see that your wardrobe is more appropriate to your station. I think that some of the gowns you have worn lately do not do your figure justice." Merizel's face lit up, but she wisely kept quiet. In fact, some of the gowns she had brought with her were hand-me-downs. Her father was not so rich that he could afford to fully equip three daughters, and Merizel had been embarrassed by the fact that some of her clothes had seemed quaint when she had come to the city. Terys nodded. "We shall make arrangements for you to try some other gowns from this store, see if there are styles which suit you better."

"Thank you, Ma'am," Merizel said very quietly.

"And now, it is Garia's turn," the Queen said.

Bursila took Merizel to help her change back into her day clothes while Rosilda searched the rails for something to fit a female figure somewhat shorter than usual. She finally selected two gowns and the two headed for the changing room. They soon returned. Garia's gown was the same style as Merizel's but the faint tint was of green rather than pink. It was made of two layers of very fine silk and must have cost a fortune. The sleeves were simple circles of cloth, protecting her upper arms from the sun but allowing the air to circulate freely. Since the gowns were designed for hot days, her supporting bodice had been removed, her breasts now only contained by the silk of the gown. She had not worn panties for several days since her period had ended.

This is so sensuous. I could seriously get used to dressing like this. It feels like I'm wearing next to nothing but it's completely modest by Palarand standards. I'm used to seeing women at home with bare legs, arms and shoulders but I think sometimes less can be more, and this proves it.

Garia twirled in front of the steel mirror, seeing the fabric shift and sway as she moved her hips. The only flaw was that the skirt stopped six inches from the floor, and Rosilda had told her that it had originally been made for a much younger person.

"Ma'am," Rosilda said to Terys, "the gown Mistress Garia wears fits her except for the length. I have another here almost the same size, but it will require shortening."

"Have you tried them with the proper footwear, Rosilda?"

"Ah, no, Ma'am, I keep forgetting that Mistress Garia wouldn't possess any of those items which the rest of us normally accumulate through the years. Yes, sandals suitable for outdoors may make a difference. If you would permit?"

Garia, still wearing the gown, was led to another hut full of footwear. After some discussion with the resident cobbler a pair was found which fitted her reasonably well and the man promised to make her a pair of her own within a day or two. The two returned to rejoin the Queen.

"That's better, dear. Now, what difference will that make, Rosilda?"

"I will still have to shorten the other gown, Ma'am, but not by so much."

"As you will, my dear. Garia, you had better go and change."

The party returned to Yolda's office, Rosilda promising that the gowns would be delivered within a day or two.

"Yolda, you failed to provide suitable protection for the Prince when he required it recently. What have you to say?"

"Ma'am, there is nothing suitable." After the dressing down Yolda had received, she was visibly frightened of the Queen, and replied cautiously to avoid the appearance of resistance. "I know of no man in the palace who performs such cleaning tasks. There is a kind of protection for the kitchen staff, as well as for some of the trades, but it mainly consists of heavy aprons which I was told would not be adequate for the purpose."

"Is this true, Garia?"

"Yes, Ma'am. It was quite easy to raise choking dust in the laboratory. An apron would not have worked."

"I see. Yolda, you are not to blame." This time. "However, a solution will need to be provided for the future. This may not be the last time that a cleaning task will be required that needs the strength and reach of a man."

"As you say, Your Majesty." Yolda shook her head. "I am ignorant of such matters, though, and I could not advise you of appropriate attire."

Garia thought. The Queen's right. The guildsmen are going to be doing all kinds of things they've never done before. Once we get steam engines going they are going to get filthy, both in the making, the using and the maintenance. I can't imagine that that will be the only dirty job in the future. Ah! The solution is obvious, although I fancy Keren might not think so, he's been enjoying himself too much.

"Ma'am," she said, "I can offer a solution from Earth that might work. We call them boiler suits. They are used by men for all sorts of dirty jobs." Women too, but let's have one revolution at a time.

She described them to Terys and Yolda, assisted by a sketch on Yolda's slate. Yolda fingered her chin thoughtfully.

"These garments use a considerable amount of cloth, but not as much as some of the formal gowns, even so," she mused. "They would be very hot to wear in the heat of summer. Mistress, is this the custom... where you come from?"

Garia nodded. "They can be made from thick or thin cloth according to what they are used for," she said. "They are worn all year round for certain jobs. Sometimes, if it is really hot and the men are outside in the sun, they'll peel the top down and wear them tied at the waist. Or just roll the sleeves up. They won't be wearing much underneath, either."

"I see, Mistress. Very well, I will commission a design for such a garment. Since this will have to be sized to the wearer, have you someone in mind for the sample? The Prince, perhaps?"

"Boiler suits are usually quite loose to wear, Mistress Yolda. Like the cleaning dresses, you should be able to make a small range of sizes to cover everyone who might need to wear them. Ah, I think the Prince is going to be quite busy for at least the next two weeks. Could you perhaps find someone from your department as a model?"

"As you wish, Mistress. Your Majesty, will that be acceptable?"

Terys looked at Garia and then back to Yolda. "Let's make it official, then, Yolda. Produce a boiler suit for us to examine. Garia, why are they called boiler suits, if I may ask? Because the wearer gets hot in them, perhaps?"

Garia smiled. "No, Ma'am, although that may happen. No, it's because the makers of those engines I was telling you about will be wearing them."

"I can't quite make the connection, dear, but I believe you."

"You will understand in time, Ma'am, you most definitely will."

~o~O~o~

Garia and Merizel were enjoying a few moments in Garia's sitting room before they retired for the night.

"I think you looked really sweet in that gown," Merizel said. "Oh! Perhaps I shouldn't have said that."

"It's okay, Merizel. I have to get used to being thought of that way. I'm a girl, and I just have to get used to it, don't I?"

"As you say, Garia. You looked as if you were enjoying yourself trying it on, as far as I could tell."

"I was! And that surprises me, I can tell you. I never expected mere clothes could make me feel so good."

"I know! Isn't it such fun? I could spend whole bells in that store, just trying everything in sight on and seeing - and feeling - how it felt to wear. There's some amazing gowns in there, aren't there?"

"Well, it is the palace store, after all, of course it's going to have amazing gowns. The Queen has more or less said you can go try some of them on, but perhaps you ought to calm down for a while. I doubt we'll have time for anything much till after the festival. Wait till the rains come, perhaps then we'll have too much time on our hands and we can indulge a little."

Merizel pouted. "You're a slave driver, Garia."

Garia looked serious. "There's a little truth in that, Merizel, although I don't try to be. It's just the way things have happened. I don't want to wear everyone out, honest. It's just that, because it's the beginning of everything it all seems to be happening quite fast at the moment. Don't worry, I'm sure the pace will slacken off soon." She grinned. "Anyway, you looked quite special yourself in that gown you tried on. I can quite imagine the men getting in line for you. I know that I would have if I had still been a guy."

"Really? Do you think so?" Merizel frowned. "What's a guy?"

"Hm. It's an old common term for a man, yourself or who you know, a friend or associate, I suppose. Only these days we use it to and about women as well. Am I confusing you?"

"No, not really. It's just one of those odd words you happen to use every now and then." The hopeful look came to her face again. "Really? You thought I looked that good, did you? You're not making it up?"

Garia sighed. "Merizel, you are tall and slender and have a well-balanced face and a good figure. When you wear that gown all the men will be staring with their tongues hanging out, trust me."

"If you say so, Garia. Hah! I suppose you get to see both sides, don't you? Doesn't that make you feel odd?"

"Oh, yes." Garia sighed again. "Parts of me are still the boy that I was, parts of me are definitely becoming female and there are other parts which are really confused. I have a girl's body, so most of me hopes I can just settle down and become completely female but I don't know if that's what will eventually happen. And then there are times my body seems to have ideas of its own."

Merizel snickered. "Welcome to the life of a woman! You'll get used to it, I think. In a few months you'll wonder what all the fuss was about."

"I do hope so. Say, what are we doing tomorrow, by the way? We're still training in the morning, I know that. What about the rest of the day?"

Merizel thought. "Nothing planned for the afternoon, that I have been told about, so we can go clean that study if you like. In the evening there's another council meeting, if you remember. We arranged another one after the discovery of that calendar thing. Then you've let the men have an at-ease day following that, but we may be tied up from then on with fittings and such for the festival. You'll have to go and get your sandals from the cobbler and we might need to plan a visit to the Salon."

"Oh, yes, of course. So, tomorrow's the last normal day for a week or so, then?"

"As you say, Garia. Are you looking forward to the festival?"

"Not really, because I've never been to anything like it before so I don't know what to expect. As you might guess, we do things different on Earth. I have been to carnivals, local fairs, but they are not the same at all as I expect this event to be."

"Oh! It will be great fun, Garia, let me assure you. We'll have a wonderful time, I just know it!"

up
382 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I love this story!

I've been checking the site over and over, hoping to see the next chapter pop up -- and it did, and it was FUN, as usual. I can't wait for the next one, but of course I have to, and so I will.

See? I'm being quite patient! Ten seconds, and I haven't updated the home page. *grin*

Keep 'em coming, Penny. They're BRILL!

Randa

So sorry

So sorry to all, the last couple weeks have been really bad for me. I haven't been in the best of health and sometimes I just want to sleep. Curiously sitting in front of a screen is about doable whatever I feel like, normally, but once or twice I've sat and nothing came at all, even though I knew it was all up there.

Add to that is the ongoing saga of The Plumber, who thankfully came last Friday (5th Aug) and found a leak under my kitchen floor... we have had some temporary flooring over the hole for a week now, so that I can check his repair won't leak. (I call it the Shallow Grave!) Now I have to find someone to patch up the floor... bank balance? What bank balance?

Plus, Real Life (tm). My sister is getting married again and she came down to visit last Thursday (4th). We had to go out shopping and she found a dress to get married in. I haven't had so much fun for weeks, but it did leave me very tired. (She also made me promise not to turn up in a frock at the ceremony. For her, I'll do that just this once, but I have no Man Clothes suitable to go in :( )

The next couple chapters are ready to be poured onto the page so providing I don't go funny you should see the next one sometime next week. (If you do, it might be attached to a flying pig. Or not.)

Penny

I'm all caught up, now I get

LibraryGeek's picture

I'm all caught up, now I get to read them as they come out! It was nice seeing this on the home page, knowing that I could go read it; but now to wait for the next part, *sigh*.

I've been enjoying this story very much, you've done a wonderful job portraying the people, and presenting a believable sequence of events, given the individuals involved. Gary, clearly, was a geek, although very well socialized.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Oh, yes.

Garia is beginning to actually feel the girl she is now.

And is it my imagination or are Robanar and Terys starting manuevers to make sure Garia is a proper match for Keren? Hmmm.

Maggie.

I think it may come to ...

... the two monarchs determining that the best way to give Garia the status she ought to have without putting a bunch of noble noses out of joint is to have her marry Keren. *grin* Which I think would suit Keren and Garia both just fine.

Randa

We know she is attracted to men

The *secretary* is a quite lovely young woman and there are her maids who help her bath and all yet she has never thought about how *hot* any of them are. Yet the sight of that hunky but gay guardsman in a previous chapter had her ready to strip and spread her legs ... so to speak. Her body overrode her mind yet her mind was oh so very willing to do so. It both scared her and thrilled her. Someday an likely soon she will be very happily a woman in all but her old memories.

-- grin --

So Guaria is clearly a heterosexual young woman despite previous her male history. It is quite possible she never had sex as a man as she was what, 15, 17 tops? when she *left* Earth. So she may be a virgin in more than one sense. She is not naive -- she spotted that slimy duke's brother for the wham-bam-thank-you-mamm sleaze he was -- but she has her weaknesses with regards to sexuality.

That is another thing, how and why did she leave Earth or the other or others who did in the past? Some weird, rare natural phenomenon or something else? It all comes down to is she here by random chance, by accident or was she sent deliberately?

We know from her recollections she did not come knowingly or willingly as far as she can recall and she has no idea how she came.

Back to the prince and the family... she NEEDS a formal title of some kind. Perhaps a new one so no noble feels she *stole* their *rightful* honor. Perhaps the equivalent of The Presidents National Science Advisor? IE something separate from yet similar to the Royal Questor position.

And as to romance... what if she went off for a month or so to tour Parland and friendly states to * get the lay of the land* maybe even as part of a *mapping* expedition. Same time Keiern gets sent off on a military or diplomatic training incident, Several months pass and as they are both in their teens their bodies mature rapidly .. . they see each other again after this separation and KERPOW! Carnal combat!

-- snicker --

Or some bastards kidnap her and on her rescue he realizes he can't bear the thought of not being with her and visa versa.

Who knows what our *evil authoresses TM* have up their pens?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Well in theory the Royal Questor already sounds like

... the National Science Advisor. But at this point I do not believe our Authoress is hinting at her taking that position. I suspect Gerdas will.

Taking such a position would be politically problematic too as there are gender issues like Penny said.

Nope, I think she will get a brand new position though I am scratching my head at what it should be. She should be an adviser, surely, but it may not be a science or too socially eyebrow raising one yet. Behind the scenes she will no doubt wield incredible influence with the local science and technology no doubt and she is assured a future in that arena. Sadly, her title will be more of a social title tied to a noble rank and traditional basis such as land as others have suggested which we are not yet aware of.

Kim

Marriage prospects

The idea of Keren marrying Garia has been discounted by both Robanar and Terys, who are trying to ensure that custom is followed in such matters. They just wouldn't have considered it seriously.

The actions Robanar is considering are purely for her own protection (and as a reward, of course), but may inadvertantly provide the opening you suggest. Whether that fact is relevant is another matter, though ^_^

Penny

RE: Marriage prospects

I discovered this lovely story three days ago and read it all straight through. I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment. I'm reading some of the notes while I wait.

>The idea of Keren marrying Garia has been discounted by both Robanar and Terys,
>who are trying to ensure that custom is followed in such matters. They just
>wouldn't have considered it seriously.

It makes sense so far that that Robanar and Terys have been blinded by their social customs, but I'm not sure you can sustain that believably for much longer. From an outsider's perspective, they're overlooking the obvious solution to Garia's status. There is no one else on the planet that has a greater strategic value to the kingdom than Garia. This is a little bit of their being "stupid on que", but it is justified for now.

It seems to me that there is

It seems to me that there is a post sitting open that Garia is admirably well suited for - Royal Questor. I don't know about the prerequisite qualifications for it though - would she have to be elected to the College of Questors, and if so, how hard would that be?

And Garia really ought to take a little time each day to learn Palarand script.

Logical post

After all, she's heavily involved with the Questors and is in charge of the investigation into Morlan's life, to determine any possible motives for his death. There may be some consternation among the nobles, but I doubt the Questors themselves will have many objections once they've seen a sample of her knowledge / skills (which, although slightly above average for an Earth teen, are viewed as off the scale in Anmar) - even though it's unheard of for a female Questor, or for a Questor to rise to the ranks of Royal Questor so quickly.

She's also forging links with the various industries - including fashion / textiles!

However, I'd still say a possible marriage to Keren would be several years down the line. Allow the newly created industries to get established first, cement her position within the Palace and within wider society (you never know, some of the guards might feel the urge to do a spot of private martial arts tuition on their days off).

It'll be interesting to see what else they discover within Morlan's lab / study - and as OtteryLexa mentioned, it would be helpful if Garia could spare some time to learn the local script (and start reading / writing in their language). One thing that could come in very useful once they've perfected producing paper of consistent quality would be producing notebooks.

From paper, the next logical development would be writing implements. I don't know if they have pens yet or if they're still using quills, but it'll take a while before they can produce cartridge pens or even ballpoints. If there's graphite and clay in nearby rocks, she may even be able to introduce them to the concept of a pencil...

Finally, I hope Terys can be persuaded to reveal what antics Robanar got up to in his younger days before the tale's finished :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Questors

The Questors are a tricky subject. Imagine a room full of cranky old (and not so old) men, each convinced that they are the sole custodian of certain kinds of knowledge. Now introduce a young girl who knows more than most of them put together... ouch. Not going to be pleasant.

Some of you must have known college professors like that. Garia will have to face the whole lot of them at some point and I can absolutely guarantee there will be trouble. This will only happen sometime after the rains have ended, though. We have a lot to get through first.

Speaking of the rains, it will give Garia a chance to catch up on her reading, so to speak. Of writing implements, there is one that you have forgotten which Garia may think of... they already have something akin to a pencil. I might describe that at the appropriate time if I remember.

Thank you for reading (and speculating!),

Penny

Perhaps...

...nib pens. or a little more developed, fountain pens? If they have something akin to shellac, then lampblack would make for a nice pigment to use in an Indian ink.

Into the Valley of Girliness

It's a pleasure seeing the relationship between Garia and Merizel blossom. Merizel is really helping Garia adapt to being a young woman.

Now I wonder...

/

A Nice ride around Manchester to finish off the Sparkle weekend.

If those sandals will grow h--ls?

Mmm-mmmmm.

Girly thoughts pounding through my skull, there would be an invention!

Good story Penny.

The inter-planetary thing is intriguing.

Hugs.

Beverly. XZXX

bev_1.jpg

Garia's position

Well, essentially Garia is more or less Chief Technology Officer and possibly Chief Scientist at this point. Give her responsibilities formal royal standing and she might have sufficient social standing to marry Keren. Surely such an elevation is possible as it happens on earth in the past for worthy service to the crown all of the time. Knighthoods are but a mild example. If she is given land, assuming land is needed for noble status, might help. There is no doubt there is a lot of serious mutual like going on between them. In the relatively short time Garia has been there she has won a lot of hearts ... and step on some toes but that never can be helped when an organization changes.

Yolda may be quite a bit more tractable after this visit as she now REALLY knows that Terys is taking personal interest in Garia and that she has the ear of the crown.

Finally, given she has basically 10 men under her, she might qualify for being an officer, possibly a lieutenant. At the very least a top sergeant. The men certainly does not have any doubts with regard to her fighting abilities. *shrug*.

Kim

Guard rank

Garia already holds the honorary rank of Quadrant Officer which is the Palarindi equivialent to Lieutenent. She was given this honor after she beat a certain cretin in hand to hand combat. Based on the narrative so far I guess that Keren does not hold any official rank in the Guard when he is training with them.

It is, however not unknown for Royalty to hold actual rank even in a society in the level that Palarind is presently. I know that one of the son's of King George III of Great Briton served in the Royal Navy and started at Midshipman which was the lowest Quarterdeck Officer rank in the RN at the time. A Midshipman was typically a young lad between the ages of 10 to 18 although there were some "Reefers" who never got promoted to Lieutenant and were in their 50's. However, in Prince William's case he was pretty much assured of recieving his commission as a Lieutenent then promotion to Master and Commander and made Post Captain as soon as possible as well as finally recieving his Flag.

Ranks and Royalty

Precisely put.

Keren is 'learning the ropes' by training with the guard. He's not yet old enough to be doing guard duties and in this case doing so could be quite awkward. I mean, can you imagine him on the gate checking visitors? Who protects the Prince while he's doing this?

In our own history the young Henry Eighth of England was a serious competitor at the martial arts of the time, excelling with all weapons and even entering the melees at tournaments. Young Keren is possibly not quite up to those standards but would be expected to hold his own in a serious fight.

In the normal way of things he might have been sent off to serve with the troops of Uncle Gilbanar (of which much in the next couple chapters) but the appearance in Palarand of Garia has put a stop to that. He's also shown that he can hold his own with the Questors, so he might get a chance to stretch his brains as well as his muscles in future ;)

Penny

Current Favorite

terrynaut's picture

This is still my current favorite!

I love it all. I think you created a perfect balance of mystery, introspection and action.

Thanks and kudos. Garia rules!

- Terry

Garia Rules?

Eh? Um, that would be Robanar ^_^

Still, I know what you mean. I'm pleased that you are enjoying my tale.

Penny

Security for Garia

... and I'm not talking about the physical kind right now. But I gather it would be easier for the royals to provide political security for her a little at a time - first a non-inheritable title with little or no holdings as thanks for services provided for the crown, possibly as part of officially taking the position as Royal Questor. Then as further thanks for services provided, after a few years (I'm afraid the time needs to be taken for it to be seen as justified) she could be granted a more permanent title and land. And if the romance between her and the Prince still holds by then, and only if the royals find her not too politically questionable or disadvantageous then she could be considered a possibly bride for the the Prince. Maybe they could go faster, but it's bound to anger the local nobles more. Of course, mentioning her as a prospective bride for the Prince already might be good to hasten it, but while it is likely to drum up some support in her favour, it will also generate bitterness among the nobles of Palarand I fear.

Anyway, we're getting ahead of ourselves. She's not ready to be even a prospective bride at this stage, I think. She's not quite settled enough into her womanhood yet.

Copy

I am intrigued by the possibility of persons copied from earth. So Gary's mind was maybe copied and downloaded in a new body. With the wrong gender. It seems to be more humane.

----------
The world was so full of sharp bends that if they didn't put a few twists in you, you wouldn't stand a chance of fitting in. -- Terry Pratchett

Somewhere Else Entirely -31-

Wonder if anything, anyone was ever transferred to Earth?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Transfers to Earth

A good point, but I don't think it would work, at least not if you were coming from Anmar. Since they are behind us, the transferee would not know what the heck was going on, as they would be completely ignorant of modern society and technology.

Actually, now I think of it, someone from a more advanced society than ourselves might not have a good experience either. Given the amount of crazies there are about these days, what kind of impact would such a person have? Especially if they found it difficult to prove their origin or make use of their technology. After all, who among us could build a computer from scratch, even knowing how one is made?

The only way this really works is dropping a post-industrial person into a pre-industrial society. (If there's anyone really advanced been dropped on Earth, could you pm me please?)

Penny

Edit: I'm assuming the transfers were deliberate, of course.

King

What is the king going to do for her status I wonder if she officially becomes a Princess can they be a couple.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Once bit, why not twice shy?

Jamie Lee's picture

Terys wasn't the least bit upset when it was explained about what Keren was wearing in the lab, but she was not pleased, again, hearing about Yolda--the woman needs drop kicked out of the palace.

And once the Queen bit her head off, and how she paled when Terys appeared before her, it would seem she'd want to avoid a second bite from Terys. Guess not, as it took Terys to have Yolda even consider protective clothing for Keren.

It had been seventeen years that Gary had been male, and a few weeks as female. A few weeks is not enough time to become acclimated to being female after years of being male, or accustomed to women's garb.

Protection for Garia? Simple, the whole blessed guard, after what she did to Duke junior. But having those being taught as instructors will do. And maybe that group would put on a demonstration?

Others have feelings too.