Tamara's First Christmas - Chapter 8 "Electric Blue"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's First Christmas - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Eight

 
 

"Electric Blue"

 
 
Saturday 20th December
 

Tammy was at Reids' Bakery by eight o'clock the following morning and in Sarah's Boutique a few minutes later. Friday afternoon had seen a few more deliveries but Emily, Sarah's daughter, had dealt with everything. The shop was again opened at half-past eight and the customers started to come in a few minutes later, the morning taking a similar pattern to the previous day. The difference this time was that Sarah had two assistants so no customer had to wait long, hence no lost sales.

The was a lull around ten when they took turns to mind the counter so coffee and pastries could be enjoyed. Sarah spoke to both Tammy and Emily separately:

"I'm thinking of opening tomorrow for a few hours if you're free? I know I wouldn't normally but it seems like there's enough business going around."

"I'm not sure about lunchtime or even how to get down here?"

"If I open the shop from ten until four, Emily can collect you in her car at half-past nine, and drop you back when we close? I'd like you here on Monday too if possible."

"Sounds like a plan but I'll have to check with Dad."

Tammy sent her father a text checking that Sunday was not a problem, a reply came a few minutes later.

Passports have arrived, don't forget we're off to Salzburg on Monday evening. Back on NYE

 

Just you & me?

 

Four of us

 

"Sarah, there's a problem."

"What is it?"

"I'm off to Austria for Christmas, leaving Monday."

"Get yourself down to Sandy, if she can't see you now I'm sure she'll see you on Monday. Then do any holiday shopping you need, you might not be able go into all the shops on tomorrow as it's Sunday."

"Thanks."

This being Saturday morning, it was clear very quickly that Sandy couldn't fit Tammy in at short notice, although the hair stylist suggested she could be there at eight o'clock on Monday morning for Joan, Angela and Tammy. Tammy quickly let her dad know by text.

Next was a trawl around the shops for presents. If Tammy was going to be away over Christmas she at least wanted to leave a gift for those closest to her. She also needed a few more Christmas cards for local delivery.

Tammy spent an hour going around the smaller shops but was running out of cash for the smaller items. Again she opted for the bank counter instead of an ATM. Although Robert was again behind the counter, he didn't query the £100 she asked for, this was thankfully considerate, given the incident and argument two weeks earlier.

As she walked out of the bank she found Sandy Franklin, the theatre's musical director, and her husband the detective, who'd recently taken her statement.

"Hi Tammy."

"Hi Sandy, I'm sorry but your husband never told me his name."

"I get told that alot, it's Benjamin, or just Ben."

"Okay, good morning Ben!"

"Hi Miss Smart, Tammy."

"We are off duty aren't we?"

That generated a laugh.

"Hopefully, but I'm still on call. Seriously, Tammy, keep hold of your bag as there's one or two unwelcome visitors in town this morning."

"Thanks, Ben, that's probably one reason why I didn't use the hole in the wall for my cash."

"And I can guess the other."

"Yes, exactly; I'm going to find a coffee and somewhere to warm up, will you join me?"

They hurried around to the Castletown Hotel where Frances found a table for them, he clearly knew the Franklins as well. Coffee orders were taken.

"Sandy, I'm not interested in numbers but how well did the show do?"

"It was our best ever, apart from the pantomimes in January each year. We haven't pushed the musicals very much but it defintely worked and we want to try again."

"I enjoyed it, what do you think Ben?"

"I only caught half of Sunday evening's show because of overtime at work, but enjoyed what I saw."

"That's a shame."

"I'm used to that happening, unfortunately."

"As you missed most of the show, is there anything you can do?"

"I'll make sure I get a copy of the video when it's finished being edited."

"Video?"

Sandy Franklin answered. "Yes, there were two cameras for most of the performances, didn't you see them?"

"No, but I hope Friday night's attack won't be included."

"Jill suggested we didn't use any of Friday's show in the finished video."

"Good, does Tanya know about the video?"

"Yes, as do all the cast. I thought you'd been told."

Frances delivered three coffees then retreated.

"I didn't know, when was I supposed to have been told?" asked Tammy.

"Iain told everyone before one of the dress rehearsals."

"I was in London for several of those."

"Oh, we had to get consent from everyone - and their parents where necessary."

"I'm eighteen so don't need my father's agreement but I'd like to see the consent form and run it past my solicitor."

"Would you refuse to sign?"

"Did I say that? However, without my consent it can't be put out."

"I'll get back to Iain and ask him to be in touch ASAP."

"I'm out of the country all next week."

"Somewhere nice?"

"Salzburg."

"Skiing?"

"Maybe, but now I'm eighteen I can try the aprés-ski for the first time." She giggled and that set off Sandy Franklin, her husband Ben hadn't caught the reference.

"Here's my card, but you know I'm staying at the McPherson's house?"

"Yes, are you going to be back in time for the Hogmanay party?"

"Party? First I've heard of it."

"Elsie has one every year, I've been ther a few times; Ben usually has to work, unfortunately."

"We fly back on New Year's Eve but I don't know what time we're back in Thurso."

"I might see you there then."

Ben had almost finished his coffee but Sandy and Tammy's were almost untouched due to the constant chatter. They paused long enough to sip at their drinks and nibble at the little biscuits. Ben's mobile chose that moment to ring.

"Oh, is he heading towards Thurso?" "I'm on my way."

"Sorry Sandy, Tammy, I have to go as someone has broken bail conditions and is known to be violent."

"John McPherson?"

"You know I couldn't confirm that, don't you?" He winked at Tammy and left.

"Oh shit." Tammy was in an instant angry.

"What is it Tammy?"

"He's the one who assaulted me and who was arrested in the foyer of the theatre on the opening night."

"What are you going to do?"

"I have to ring Dad."

"Do you want me to take you home?"

"If you don't mind, I do have a few bags though!"

"Right, finish your coffee first."

"I'll call Sarah as he might assume I'm there, given it's Saturday."

That call included several anglo-saxon terms, and also meant Sarah had to decide whether to close early, after she'd told her daughter Emily about the incident a fortnight earlier.

Next was a text from Dad,

Coming to get you

Her reply,

Have been offered a lift, on way in a minute

Sarah then sent her a text,

That detective is back, apparently you had coffee with him?

So Sarah was being looked after, Tammy started to feel a little better, she questioned Sandy.

"Where are you parked?"

"In the public carpark behind Olrig Street. I'll go get the car, you stay here, you'll be safe."

Sandy left, although half of her coffee was still in the cup. Frances came over.

"Miss Smart, could I suggest you move further back, nearer the bar and out of sight of the windows? I'll have Mrs Franklin bring the car to the side exit."

"Thank you Frances."

He rustled up some help and they took Tammy's shopping - not allowing her to carry any more than her own shoulder bag - moving everything to beside an emergency exit set into the bar's outer wall. A few minutes later a couple of large, well-muscled gentlemen arrived, all shaking Frances' hands. They were each provided with a juice at no charge.

"Who are they?" Tammy whispered to the barman.

"A couple of the Thurso Shinty team, they help us out with heavy lifting and awkward problems, usefully they live next door."

"Shinty?"

"Similar to hockey."

"Okay." That'll be the local hired help then.

She sat there for a few minutes until there was a toot from outside, Frances went out to Tammy's driver and directed her down the side road. The hired help opened the emergency exit, one went out to check the road was clear whilst one picked up all the baggage. Tammy followed, very aware that this was for her protection.

Her phone beeped

John was here, was scared away, be very careful

Tammy climbed in, all her shopping was now in the back. Sandy wanted to ask a question but there was a load of shouting going on nearby so she put the car in gear and set off.

Ten minutes later they were at the McPherson house, Sandy helped Tammy carry her bags into the hallway, where Thomas took over.

"Come in, I disrupted your coffee so at least have one with me."

"Okay, I doubt if Ben will be home soon."

"Leanne, could we have coffee in the drawing room?"

"Certainly, Miss."

That earned Tammy a look from Sandy Franklin of incredulity. It didn't improve when Thomas returned and immediately offered to take Sandy's and Tammy's coat and scarf. Suitably divested they walked through, Tammy leading.

"Hello Elsie, I guess you know what's happening?"

"Yes, hello Sandy, has Tammy involved you in all this?"

"No Elsie, I just happened to be having a coffee with her when my husband had a call to deal with someone, Tammy put two and two together and came up with the name."

"Unfortunately she was correct. The good news is that John was arrested outside the Castletown Hotel, apparently two of the shinty team happened to be in there."

"Fancy that." Tammy blushed.

"Out with it!"

Tammy recounted what had happened after Sandy went for her car.

"Did you know, young lady, that your personal protection squad were also part-time police officers?"

"No."

"Anyway, I must thank Frances for his quick thinking." She picked up a phone, "Thomas, please call Frances and book us all for dinner tomorrow lunchtime, including the Smalls." She returned the handset.

"Sandy, my thanks as well for offering to bring Tammy back, her father was helping with security here. Will you join us tomorrow?"

"I'm visiting my sister in the morning, both of us if Ben's not working."

Leanne carried their coffee in and the conversation shifted to the Hogmanay celebrations. Of course this would be the first time Tammy had spent Hogmanay, or even Christmas, in Scotland. For very personal reasons however she would be leaving the traditional toast of Scotch Whisky well alone.

Richard returned a little while later, he'd been near the gates to the estate, but Sandy and Tammy hadn't seen him when they arrived.

"Mr Smart, we were telling Tammy earlier that there's a video of the production."

"Please call me Richard. Tammy never said anything about a video, has she given her consent?"

"I see where she gets it from as Tammy said exactly the same thing."

"If she's happy then she'll sign, otherwise she'll run it past me and our solicitor."

"Remind me to never enter into a legal argument with you!"

That had them laughing.

When Sandy had finally left, it was almost lunchtime. Tammy had a question that needed to be asked.

"Elsie, Dad, when I met Yvonne Stewart at the party she was very off-ish, I had the distinct impression she doesn't like me."

"Tammy, that may just be because she was getting to know everybody there. She's been a part of my extended family since her brother, David, was engaged to our Cathy. I happen to know she's a very capable teacher and manager."

"Thanks Elsie, no doubt I'll get to see her in January, if not before."

"I'm sure of it."

By the time lunch was out of the way it was approaching two o'clock so Tammy decided against heading back down to Sarah's shop that afternoon. Instead she finished writing out the Christmas cards she needed for those she now knew in the town, plus wrapping a few trinkets for selective friends.

By the time she was done it had been dark for nearly an hour. She fired up her laptop and checked her emails, one was from Sandy Franklin

Dear Tammy,
 
Thank you for the second coffee, it was needed. I hadn't realised what the trouble was behind us when we were at the hotel, when I told Ben what we'd done he was horrified! Anyway, I'll let Iain know about the consent form. Enjoy your holiday
nbsp;
Sandy

Tammy typed a quick reply, making sure that Sandy's email address was saved. The next one was from John Hibbert.

Hi Tammy,
 
We've arrived in Sherwood Forest, it's a bit silly but mum and dad have booked Centerparcs for a few days, we get to go home in St Albans on Christmas Eve.
 
I'm missing Tanya loads!
 
John

Tammy made a point of talking to Tanya on Sunday or Monday.

After dinner Tammy decided to watch some telly but wasn't impressed. Instead she showered and laid on her bed wearing headphones, listening to a selection of albums from her little music player. Although her previous entity, Tom, had bought most of the music her musical taste hadn't changed. She fell asleep on top of the duvet still wearing the headphones.

 
 
Sunday 21st December
 

Tammy woke, laying firmly under the duvet, her MP3 player and headphones were sat neatly on her desk. She hadn't set an alarm and, if the day went as planned, she would be picked up around nine forty-five to work in Sarah's shop. Right now it was approaching eight so she wrapped a gown around herself and padded downstairs in her fluffy slippers.

"Good morning Tammy."

Yawn. "Mornin' everyone." Yawn.

"Now Tammy, I need you dressed and ready to go at twelve thirty. I will veto your dress if it's inappropriate."

"Elsie, I offered yesterday to help Sarah out today, dad knew."

Richard just shrugged, this was not his argument.

"Dad, you're not helping. I made the promise to Sarah well before Elsie decided on lunch. Why can't I do both?"

"Elsie, can she not meet us there?"

"How serious is this promise?"

"Sarah's daughter, Emily, is collecting me at a quarter to ten and was going to drop me back around half four. There's probably very little storeroom work to do today but Sarah is expecting to be busy. I could take a frock with me, or borrow one from the shop?"

"I'll allow it, but you are to be at the table with us, presentable, before one o'clock. If I'm not satisfied on either score then your lunch is cancelled. Understood?"

"Yes Elsie."

Tammy poured a coffee and a glass of orange juice then left the table.

"Where are you going?"

"To my room, I don't have much of an appetite right now."

Once in her room she drank half the coffee and all of the juice before heading into the shower. Tammy had been taking the contraceptive pill for two and a half weeks and, whilst she wasn't expecting quick results, was checking herself every day. She was also keeping a diary of her emotions, this morning would go down as 'ratty' even though she was sure she'd done nothing wrong.

She spent some time in the shower so was pleasantly surprised to find fresh coffee, juice and hot toast waiting for her. That was dealt with before she tackled her hair. To start she would wear it down with a simple pony but for the lunch she would do something different.

She also took time over her makeup, going for a simple look but making certain she had enough with her for something more adventurous. For her clothes, she went for a strapless bra as she knew there was a strapless cocktail dress in the back of the shop, so long as Sarah hadn't sold it, but for now it was the simple look, a skirt and top. She chose a large bag and slipped her makeup kit as well as a pair of heeled sandals. For now, boots would do.

While she was getting ready Leanne knocked to collect the breakfast bits.

"Would you like another coffee, Miss?"

"No thanks Leanne, I don't want to spend the morning running into the loo."

Tammy finished getting ready then made her way down, it was nearly half past nine. It was only a few minutes later that Emily pulled up outside and tooted. Elsie glared as Tammy dashed out of the door into the freezing air. Emily's little car plainly didn't have aircon and the heater wasn't good enough to clear the windscreen. Tammy was more than a little worried on the way into town that Emily couldn't see where she was going.

Somehow they arrived in the little lane that fronted the shop, which normally had no traffic. In fact it was too narrow for much more than a bicycle, but Emily's car squeezed down there. Tammy also had to squeeze when trying to exit the vehicle by Sarah's Boutique before Emily went off to park. A tap on the window was all that was needed to have the door unlocked.

"Thanks for letting me know yesterday."

"I felt you needed to know straight away as this is where he assaulted me. I was with that detective and his wife when he received the call, I just joined the dots."

"Thanks anyway, I told him that you were somewhere in town and he was able to put my mind at ease."

"His wife ran me back home but we only just left the hotel when John Mc turned up outside."

"So I heard, I had a drink in there after we closed yesterday so Emily drove me home."

"Shall I make some coffee?"

"Yes please."

Tammy went to the kettle and refilled it before switching it on. She talked whilst she worked on the drinks.

"Small problem today, Elsie's called a family lunch at the Castleton to say thanks to Frances for the way he looked after me yesterday."

"Oh, just how many?"

"At least nine. She wanted me to start getting ready almost straight away this morning."

"So what are you doing?"

"There's an electric blue cocktail dress that would make an impact."

"I know the one you're talking about, I don't think we sold it although a few have been interested. You'll need suitable undies."

"Already taken into consideration."

"Electric blue, your makeup is going to have to be special to carry that off."

"I figured you and Emily might be able to help."

There was a tap on the window by Sarah's daughter to confirm her return from parking her car. Sarah unlocked the door but latched it after as she wasn't opening for another ten minutes. The main lights were still out but there was a sign in the window.
 

Sarah's Boutique Sign

 
"Tammy, take that dress out the back and check that it fits you, Emily you can help."

The girls were still out the back when Sarah put the lights on and unlocked the street door. It was quiet for almost ten minutes then the ladies started to come in. Sarah had marked down a few end of line items where the loss of a few pounds of profit wouldn't matter when it came to clearing out old stock. She wouldn't start the sale yet but a few reductions would increase footfall in the store, perhaps a few first timers would venture in. Opening on the Sunday was also an innovation.

There was a polite buzz, particularly when Tammy came into the shop wearing the dress.

"Wow!" was one comment, another was "I want one for New Years Eve!".

A check of the lady's size confirmed that the only spare one in the shop wouldn't fit her but Sarah had her laptop and managed to find one for delivery by the following weekend. That prompted a few requests for the same in plum, peach and raspberry. Sarah insisted on deposits for each one, as she didn't want to carry stock she would only order what was needed.

The one Tammy was wearing had been an order from a year earlier but had never been collected. Sarah hadn't taken a deposit that time, nor proper contact details, but had held onto the dress. She'd not put it up for sale, in case the lady returned.

Emily whispered an idea to Tammy and they scampered back to the storeroom. Sarah was still taking orders from an increasing number of customers. Before Tammy changed out of the dress Emily took a photo and posted it onto her facebook page with the address of Sarah's shop and a list of the colours available.

Next she had Tammy strip to her underwear and did the same. Sarah didn't have room out front for everything and full length gowns were included. They both put on a gown, different colours of course. Tammy had brought 3" mules with her so used them to good effect, although she added a little eye liner and evening style makeup. A few minutes later they made their way back into the shop, which was quieter now. Emily startled her mother but Sarah picked up quickly.

"These gowns are ideal for evening functions, they're fully lined and ....."

Emily and Tammy did some turns, noting that some pictures were being taken by the customers. Back in the storeroom Emily used her own phone again to capture the pair of them then they changed into another outfit.

By midday they had shown six outfits between them and the shop was buzzing. Sarah was selling much of the older stock that was stuck out the back, but only because her customers knew about it. She was also taking more orders for the cocktail dresses that had started this.

Emily in the meantime used Sarah's laptop to create a dedicated facebook page for the shop and uploaded all of the photos onto there. Tammy wasn't on social media as it was blocked on the school networks and her previous phone wasn't anything special. Her new phone, however, could do all of this and more; that was a job for later.

The last outfits they wore were gingham frocks that had arrived as a mistake two years earlier. Sarah hadn't been charged for them but equally hadn't been asked for them to be returned either. This created a different atmosphere in the shop as several of the ladies called their partners. Apparently there was a cross-dressing New Years Eve party somewhere in town and several of the male participants were struggling with outfits. Sarah had two dozen of them in adult sizes and mixed colours so flogged them for twenty pounds apiece. That was nearly five hundred quid in free money.

It was a rush for Tammy to be ready in time for the lunch, but by twelve forty-five she was set. Emily offered to walk Tammy round to the hotel, which Sarah immediately insisted upon - "in case they bailed him again!" - and Tammy gratefully accepted.

When she walked into the hotel heads snapped around. Emily had done a magnificent job on Tammy's face, it turned out she was training to be a beautician. They had gone for a sultry look, not entirely suitable for lunch with Elsie but her face was amazing.

Tammy really did have every pair of eyes follow her. Frances had extra staff today but insisted on taking Tammy's coat personally then escorting her to the area reserved for the McPherson party.

"Wow Tammy!"

"Thanks Cathy. Hello everyone," Tammy did a twirl before she sat down, smiling in Elsie's direction, "I'm not late am I?"

That generated a coughing fit by her father who went slightly red, or was he that colour because his daughter just walked in like she was a model or a star. Tammy looked around, David and Michael were also blushing slightly, then she noticed Yvonne Stewart further down the table, her face appeared to show contempt.

Tammy's drink order was taken, she checked down the table and noted a few glasses of wine so opted for the white. That earned another look from further down the table, what was up with that woman? Not Elsie - Yvonne.

Thankfully Tammy had Cathy on one side and Joan on the other so was not short of conversation whilst waiting for the food. Angela was again out of her depth and was on the far side of her mother, next to Michael.

It seemed that Elsie had already ordered Tammy's food but that didn't disappoint, the meal was fabulous from start to finish. The hotel staff looked after the table throughout, they were certain to receive a sizeable tip.

Once the deserts were cleared away, Tammy said that she had to return to the shop.

"Wait there young lady, you've got something to answer for."

up
436 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

can't wait for the next

can't wait for the next chapter where hopefully we'll find ot what Yvonne's problem is.

Yvonne's problem.......

D. Eden's picture

Is that she apparently has a large piece of lumber stuck up her fifth point of contact.

In other words, she has a stick up her ass.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I would hope

that Yvonne is only trying to show Tammy what kind of treatment she can expect to receive when she gets out of school. She might be going about it the wrong way though.

Is Thurso Big Enough

littlerocksilver's picture

for a cross dressers' party? We bypassed Thurso earlier this year, but stopped at Ulipool. I felt they were about the same size. Enjoying the story. I like the feeling of being there.

Portia

I would say yes. It only takes one person.

WillowD's picture

Small towns aren't large enough to have lots of diversity. So people are interested in something different. I used to know someone who did English Country dancing who did it wherever he went. He had the music and he could teach the dances. For instance, when he went to China for a few months, he also organized some dances.

I spent several university work terms working for Atomic Energy Canada at their nuclear research facility. The nearest town has several thousand people. The list of activities to do went on for 4 pages with about 2 lines per club. I joined the fencing club, the Tae Quon Do club and the soaring (motor less aircraft) club. There was a yacht and tennis club and many other clubs and activities I had never seen in small town Ontario. This is because of the large number of scientists that lived there that grew up in various parts of the world. It was awesome.

And it only takes one person with the knowledge and enthusiasm to start something.

Thurso

According to Wiki, it has a smidgen under 9,000 residents and is pretty much the back end of beyond, so probably has little in the way of entertainment other than the theatre. A crossdressing party may be something novel, and given the British seasonal tradition of pantomime (he's behind you!) where the "leading boy" is almost invariably a male character played by a female, while the "Dame" is a larger-than-life female character played by a male (usually a very OTT camp drag role), may not be seen as too outrageous.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

wow!

Our Tammy can't do anything right at the moment!!! perhaps that Yvonne is linked to John Mcpherson in some way and she'e upset at his further arrest!

can't wait for the next episode! (saying fully tongue in cheek! more, more, more Shiraz! I know its a busy time but I'm sat on the edge of my chair all the time worrying about our girls!!! giggle)

Yes, what is up ???

gillian1968's picture

The dress sounds beautiful.
But, I can't wait to find out what is up with Yvonne.

Tammy is definitely having a difficult day.

Gillian Cairns

Not Second-Guessing

joannebarbarella's picture

About Yvonne, since I will hopefully find out as soon as I click for the next episode.

It may seem odd,

but I managed to skip the cross dressing phase, going instead from full male mode to full time female.

I am curious what Yvonne is about.

Sarah's getting busier

Jamie Lee's picture

If Tammy's involvement in Sarah's shop continues, modeling a few of the dresses included, Sarah may find herself with a pretty penny in the bank after expenses. But is Sarah putting too many demands on Tammy, wanting her more often? And doesn't Elsie realize that once a promise is made it's important to keep that promise? She acted like the lunch date was more important than Tammy helping Sarah as promised.

Where does Elsie get off ordering food for someone not yet present? She's a very presumptuous person, not used to people not doing as she commands.

So John was at it again! Trying to get at Tammy. He has lost his mind, lost the ability to be rational. He needs committed to a mental facility for evaluation and possible treatment.

Who is it that thinks Tammy has something to answer for? What has she done now? Is it how she's dressed, which is not a violation outside of school. Something she said? Wonder how Tammy will react if this is a dressing down.

Others have feelings too.