Wings Apart Chapter 01

Printer-friendly version

(A short teaser to see if people wish to see this story.)

Wings Apart

Chapter 1

In the Wind


20051117_329_AnimeAngel-HeadBlank222211111111.jpg

Linda and I were fighting again. I hated it when we fought. So I stalked off to my private place to be alone. Nobody ever used the old shed any more. most even forgot it was there. I didn't I used it when I needed time away from everyone. Only one who knew was Toby and he would never tell. He was my best friend after all. From the out side the shed looked like a old pile of wood. On the inside we had it fixed up real good, even had power from a extension cord from Toby's house. We had scrounged a old small refrigerator that we kept drinks in. Only me and Toby used the shed.

Who am I? I'm Josh Wells by name. I am your normal teenage (18) Kid. I am 5 foot 5 inches tall and 130lbs. I have gray eyes and black hair. Well normal except I can grow wings when I want and I can use magic. Well a little magic. Nobody but Linda and Toby know. Well back to the story.

I grabbed a soda and slipped into the old recliner for a little nap to cool off. I tried to sleep but my sister's words kept coming back to me. "Your going to flunk out if you don't stop playing with magic when you should be studying. I know You love the feeling but if you are not careful it is going to bite you!" That was her whole argument. She was scared of my magic. She loved my wings but was scared what will happen when people find out. I just didn't care right now about school, about anything. I was going through a crisis and no one seems to care. You see if I have my wings out too long other changes start to happen changes I can't stop. Changes in the way I think. Every time I use my wings for more than a few moments I start to get weird thoughts. Girl thoughts. I am just as much a boy as any other boy, so why is this happening? I think they are girl thoughts because they are about clothes or looks and stuff like that. Why me? When I have my wings out and somebody asks me a question I don't here Josh, no that would be too easy I hear Angelica. Lately I have heard that name when I didn't have my wings out. So it is getting worse. Lately I have found myself looking at girls differently. Not so much them but what they were wearing. I would think if their clothes fit or not or if the colors fitted them. I think I am going crazy. I would think I was gay but I have no feeling for boys. I still love my girlfriend Lana. I want to tell Lana about my wings and magic but I an not sure how she will take it. I am so confused.

As always when my thoughts come to a dead end I pull out the book on magic I got at that old book shop just outside of down town. It is said to be a beginners book to magic. But it is just a bunch of stories. I have tried to figure out what each story means but have had very little luck. Today though the stories were just gibberish. I need someone to teach me. Someone who actually practices this stuff. But were will I find someone like that? When sleep won't come and the book don't work there is only one thing to do! Magic! I moved everything from the center of the room and set a rock there. The rock was a ordinary fist size rock. I put all my will into changing the rocks shape. I tried for a Dragon. I got the body right and the legs. I was just starting on the wings when Toby came strolling in. His stomping disturbed my concentration and I flubbed the wings badly. I stopped and looked at my wannabe dragon and through it on the scrap heap. If I had my wings out it would work better. The magic flowed so much better with my wings out. That's a new thought I had never had that one before. I have no evidence that it was a true thought either. This is scaring me. I decided to play cards with Toby instead.

We Played cards for an hour. Then I asked him to be still while I try the Dragon again. He said sure after he got a soda. I looked through the rocks I had there for just the right one. When I found one that felt different I decided to use it. I tried something different this time. The rock had a large streak of crystal running through it I tried to separate the crystal from the rock. It took a lot of will and magic to do this. I was sweating when I finished. I looked at how much crystal I had and figured I did not have enough to make anything nice so I looked through the rocks for ones with crystal in them. I did not find any so decided to make some rings. It took me a lot of time but I had four rings. two men's and two women's. I smiled then went over to the recliner and slid into it. I was out as soon as I closed my eyes.

I woke up with someone poking me. I opened my eyes and there was Lana. What was she doing here she had never came here before. She said "Wake up you fool. What have you done! Damn this is bad." She looked at my confused look and said "You don't know do you? That is even worse! Get up we have to get out of here now." I had no idea what she was talking about. "Come get up they are almost here we have to go!" I got up and she grabbed the rings I made "Okay let's go. My house will do for now. They wont go there." We were running through the streets. Then there was three men in front of us, I looked back two behind we were trapped. I grew my wings and grabbed Lana and took to the air. The buggers behind us were yelling obscene things at us. I flew as far as I could before landing near Lana's house. She had to practically carry me inside. I was changing I could feel it but I was too out of it to care. She put me down on a bed and I wrapped myself in my wings and was out!

I woke slowly with a lot of pain. A voice said "Move slowly it will hurt for a wile. Metamorphoses is never easy and when forced it gets much worse." I turned my head and Lana's Mom was sitting in a chair looking at me. "Welcome back. Things are going to get hard on you for a while. They don't like wild mages here. That's what they call anyone who doesn't go to their magic school. The trackers try to catch or kill any they find. You were very lucky that Lana heard your making and followed the sound and that she got there first."

I said "What happened to me?" My voice was soft and high. Just like a young girls.

She looked at me "The stress of last nights chase caused you to change into your other self. In this case your other self happened to be a winged girl." She smiled and got up and poured me a glass of water. After handing it to me she went on. "We all have a other self. The ones that lurk in our Dreams and whims. Some do not even know there other selves. Your ability to use magic allowed, under stress, you to become your other self. And that saved your life. Who knows about your magic?"

I answered "Only Toby and my sister Linda. Will this change be permanent?"

She shook her head "I don't know. Your wings are nice but can you pull them in or something?" I got up and tried to pull them in and managed after a lot of trying. I was very tired from tying.

Just then Lana came in. "Well we can not call you Josh now. What do you want to be called?" She smiled and turned me to a full length mirror to get a look.

I said "Angelica, that will do very well." She smiled very brightly.

Lana said "I guessed you told Toby and Linda. I am hurt that you did not tell me. Well they are in the sitting room. I am going to make some tea for us, see you in a bit." She walked out. I was still looking at myself. Lana's mom turned me from the mirror.

"Lets get you ready for your guests." She put in. "Cant go around in a backless nightgown all day." She helped me get dressed in a simple blue dress. She put some flats on my feet. "I am glad your feet and Lana's are the same size." She had me sit. then brushed out my now waist length hair. She put my hair in a high ponytail. "I don't think any make up is needed but I will let Lana show you how to put on." She walked to the door "Well are you coming, Angelica?" I got up and tried my best to walk like a girl to the door. "We will work on that." She showed me to the sitting room.

As I entered I noticed that Lana was already there and she must of said something because my sister said "I always said that magic was going to bite you in the end." I was not going to respond to that. She was right.

Toby said "Wow Dude you look really hot!" That was him all the way. I blushed all the way from my hair to toes. I was trying to think of something to say when Lana's Mom beat me to it.

She said "Well now that we are all here we can talk about what to do about this trouble. Oh and call me Julie all right. What we have is a Wild Mage in need of training and three friends that are in danger because of it. So here are your options.

1. Let the seekers catch you and hope they don't kill you.

2. Leave the city for training then play by the rules.

3. Take your chances.

That is what your choices are right now choose." She was looking at me the whole time she was talking. Looks like things are up to me.

I said "Where would I go? I don't know anyone who could teach me. I am new to all this. Do you know anyone that could help me? School is over for the summer so don't have to worry about that. Please tell me." She smiled at me and poured her and me some tea.

She took a sip then responded "I know a woman who could help you. She lives out in the country on a ranch. I think she would take the four of you in for the summer. Yes Lana you too. They have seen you so you must go. Her name is Helena Drake. She owns the Siler Rose Ranch. She can teach you and Lana what you need to know. I am sure she can find something useful for Linda and Toby to learn. I will call her in a little bit. We will put you on a train in an hour. Lana Angelica is the same size as you now so why don't you quickly pack two bags for the train. Linda I think I have some things that will fit you. Sorry Toby your out of luck here maybe there." we broke up for a quick packing job. Soon we were all back in the sitting room waiting for Julie to make the call. Linda was on her cell phone telling our parents that she got me and her a job out in the country for the summer but we had to leave right away. They were just glad I had a job. She hung up.

Linda said "We are good. You know I might just like having a sister." I knew she was teasing but all this got to me and I started crying. She put her arms around me and comforted me for a bit. It did help to let it out. I calmed down and Lana showed me to the powder room so I could wash my face. After that she put a little make up on me and we went back to the sitting room.

Julie came in with a bag. She said I did some checking the know you came here so I have to go as well for awhile. We will take the car and leave right now. Lets move it." We all piled into a big land rover. I got front seat, we pulled out and I caught sight of the guys that chased us before heading for the house. There was an explosion that rocked the vehicle. I looked back the house was half gone and on fire. I looked at Julie. She sighed "I needed a new place anyways. One thing you will find in this life, Don't depend on material things. They go real fast. Well off we go."


To be continued
Comments always welcome and loved
up
210 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

school.

zulu mack's picture

Of to Hogwarts with you

wings apart

Siler rose ranch, anything to do with ember de la rose silver? The grand mage of sanctuary

Must continue on

This is a great start, now you have so many ways to go from here. I definitely think you should continue on.

Yes Pleeeease

Loved "When Tales Come True" waiting for book 2 impatiantly and this sounds as if it will be very good.
Hopefully having two stories on the go will not make wait between chapters to long.
You're now one of the first authors I look for in the new story listings.
Hoping life is good to you.

Is this worth continuing?

Your too damn right it is worth continuing... please?

Joanna

Very cool

Great start. More please.

nomad

You have a great start here :)

A solid into and world build, villains worthy maybe ofbthe name and options galore from s writers side of things.

I will definitely be looking forward to more and looking in on this.

* Great Big Hugs *

Bailey Summers

LOL

I wold like to read more please

good intro

Alecia Snowfall's picture

well you have prelim characters, and a McGuffin I like this so go for it!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Things move fast in this story!

I look forward to the next episode.

It's a neat idea. I look forward to finding out where you take this idea.

I'm curious to see how many people's power cause them to change, whether gender change or not.

Fast times

GypsyWoman's picture

Moving fast is what I do. change comes to all just not all on the outside.

Kat H

A most interesting and

A most interesting and captivating story start. I can foresee maybe more than 2297 words coming from this story, say like a second book, hmmm?
Looking forward to seeing how each character truly fits in the story and what possible other self and powers they may possess without knowing.
Janice

An interesting idea....

D. Eden's picture

And a good start. I'm sure that this could become a truly wonderful story.

I haven't read any of your other work, but this tells me that I will have to remedy that fact.

Hope to see more of this.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus