Gaby Book 12+1 Chapter *14* One Step Forward

Printer-friendly version
book13coverfront_1.jpg
 
 get the complete book here! {Or here (US) -Erin}
 
 
*Chapter 14*

One Step Forward

 
 
“So what do you think, Frau Bond?” Margot enquired.

The meeting hadn’t gone exactly as I would’ve liked, being the opposite side of the fence to Mum was weird enough, I could see why Dad had opted out. Margot was actually more conciliatory than I’d expected, she’s usually difficult to move on anything regarding the Garde or the Tanzklub Ahrtal in general.

“So there’ll be an adult here all the time?” Mum pressed.

“Of course, usually myself but if not, one of the committee will stand in.”

Mum was softening to the idea of me being cheer coach but I sensed there was still another hurdle.

“I’m still not keen on Gaby being responsible for selecting the girls taking part, I don’t want anyone feeling slighted by my daughter.”

“We’ve never had any issues of that kind,” Margot noted.

“I don’t want Gaby to be the first,” Mum insisted.

“Muum!” I moaned.

“No, Gab, I’ve seen it before when I was teaching, peer selection sounds very progressive, however teenagers, especially girls can harbour resentments and sometimes get violent to ‘get even’.”

Yeah right, she makes it sound like the Mafia. I won’t bore you with the ensuing discussion; the result was that I’d act as adviser on team selection, Margot, much like with the Garde would actually do the picking. I did win the uniform selection job so it wasn’t all Mum’s way.

 
 
“Next Monday okay.” Margot asked as we waited for Mum to use the facilities.

“Yeah, I’ll put the word out at school.”

“Don’t get us too many cheerers!”

“I reckon one workout will get rid of the chaff.” I grinned.

“Come on trouble,” Mum suggested.

“See you Friday, Margot,” I offered.

“Sure, goodnight, Frau Bond.”

“Nite,” Mum managed.

“Tschuss, Gab.”

“Tschussie,” I grinned back.

 
 
“Oh while I remember, Gab, George has confirmed the itinerary for Japan,” Mum advised as we started back down the gorge from the clubhouse in Altenahr.

“Yeah?”

“Well sound a bit more interested then.”

“I am, honest so what’s the score?”

“Me and the girls have got four crits during the week then we finish with the Hokkaido Cup or some such on the Sunday before we fly home.”

“Am I racing?”

“They don’t really have a separate junior set up, George has put you down for the crit series but you don’t have to ride them all, flippin’ jersey, I have to at least start all of them.”

“Poor you,” I mocked, “so we get to do any sightseeing?”

“You don’t think we’re going all that way and not see anything do you?”

“Kewl!” wonder if I can get to that Harajuku place in Tokyo or that street where all the comic book shops and stuff are? That’d be so cool.

“You’ll have to miss a couple of days school again.”

Like that’s a hardship.

“Guess I’ll live,” I smirked.

“Oh and you might have some company, if your Dad can squeeze BC for some funding your friend Amanda will be coming.”

“Is Jules coming?

“We’ve not asked her yet, why?”

“Just curious, wouldn’t want her to miss out.”

Mum gave me a weird look, well I was hoping not but if she does go, looks like I’ll have Mand to hang with rather than Goth girl.

 
 
“So you’re really going then?” Steff confirmed.

“Uh huh.”

“Right jet setter our Gabs,” Con added.

“I am gonna be racing.”

“And shopping no doubt,” Brid mentioned.

“Might do,” I coyly allowed.

“Anna will be so jealous,” Nena noted.

“Not just Anna, I’m jealous,” Steff sighed.

“You gonna be here for Mart’s party?” Con queried.

“Hmm, dunno, have to check.”
 
 

“What’s that about?” Con asked as I pinned the sheet to the notice board.

“I told you Saturday, the Tanzklub is starting a cheering section with yours truly as coach.

“I thought your ‘rents were against it?”

“Margot talked Mum round last night.” I smirked.

“They did the posters quickly.”

“Amazing what you can do with computers these days,” I grinned.

“You did it?”

“Of course,” I polished my nails, “I did when we got home last night.” I straightened it up then stepped back, “not bad if I do say so myself.”

13.14pic.jpg

 
 

“Sounds a bit energetic to me,” Con mused.

“Bern used to do it and she’s hardly sporty,” I mentioned.

“Think I’ll leave it to you active sorts, Pia know about this?”

“Do I know about what,” said individual enquired joining us.

“Gabs is doing cheering,” Con supplied.

“Ta da!” I announced with a flourish indicating the poster.

“Ooh neat, count me in.”

“Ah, Gaby, just the girl I’m looking for.”

“Frau Boxberg?”

“Can I borrow you in my office for a few minutes please.”

“Yes, Miss,” I sighed, what now?
 
 

“Come, sit down, Gaby.”

“Thanks, Miss,” I allowed taking the offered seat in front of her desk.

“I’ve had your mother on the phone this afternoon.”

Ot oh.

“She’s a bit concerned that you’re spreading yourself a bit thin, racing, the Garde, school and now this cheering?”

“I only go to Garde for fitness.” I pointed out.

“Well that’s as maybe, I’m just putting you on notice that I’ll be watching your grades, this is a very important year for you academically, you sit for the Abitur* at Easter and whilst you have been getting good grades over the last year you can’t afford to let things slip.”

“No, Miss.”

“Gaby, I’m not trying to cramp your ‘style’ or stop you doing things but I know you have aspirations to go on to university and neither myself or your parents want to see you miss that opportunity. All I’m saying is don’t let your hobbies take over eh?”

“Yes I mean no, Miss.” As if!

“Your mother also mentioned this trip to Japan you’ve been invited on, you’ll be missing more school, we aren’t even through the first semester and you’ll have missed nearly two weeks. Your Mother’s in agreement, I’ll be asking your tutors set you some extra work to do whilst you are off.”

Gee, thanks Mum!

“Okay,” I allowed with a little sigh.
“It’s not that bad Gaby, you’ll still have plenty of time to do other stuff.”

“Yes, Miss.”

“Right then, no doubt your friends are waiting for you so pop along just remember what I’ve said.”

“Thanks, Miss, yes, Miss.”
 
 

“So what was all that about?” Steff enquired as I dumped my bag in the Schauff’s basket.

“Mum’s landed me with extra homework for when I go to Japan.”

“That sucks.” Brid stated.

“Not many,” I agreed.

“Don’t think my mum’s ever rung the school,” Con offered.

“Wish mine wouldn’t,” I lamented.
 
 

With my season extended, perhaps indefinitely if I end up racing the cyclocross stuff, I need to continue training so once I got home it was change and hit the road for a couple of hours. Unlike yesterday it’s quite pleasant this afternoon so I decided on a longish ride at a steady pace and * headed down the valley towards the Rhein. There’s one thing about riding a bike, it doesn’t let you dwell on stuff, I set off still chuntering about Mum ringing Frau Boxberg but by the time I’d negotiated Bad Neunahr I was musing on how I’m gonna fund my purchases in Japan.

I rode along to Brohl where I turned up the valley away from Old Man Rhein to start the climb up to Engeln. My first race in Germany** was around this area, who would’ve guessed back then that things would turn out like they have? I rode at a steady tempo as the road climbed, crossing the Brohltal Bahn several times.

The last pull up to Engeln had me puffing but there’s no serious climbing for the rest of my route. I dropped to the main road and picked up the road across to the ‘Ring, a longer, rolling ascent but instead of going to the top at Nurburg I turned off for Zingst. It’s a nice fast descent, wide hairpins interspersed with wide straights pretty much all the way down to Adenau.
It’s always busy through Adenau but I wasn’t delayed too much and once on the road towards Ahrbrück I started turning up the juice. The distance to Dernau was steadily dropping and I found myself racing the Ahrtal Express down into Altenahr. Once through the town and out through the tunnel I started fantasising that I was racing to a Tour de France stage win, down past the Tanzklub, head down, going for it.

My dreaming ran out by Rech and I eased off and sat up to cool off a bit before getting home. Best part of three hours after setting off I rolled to a stop outside of the garage, my anger tempered somewhat.

* Basically a school diploma needed to progress in further education.
** Book 5 chapter 8, Das Erste Radrennen.

Maddy Bell © 24.10.2014

up
330 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ride out

Podracer's picture

Does have a beneficial effect on the head.
Today I had too much work to do, and a snotty head and cough yet. SWMBO rang - she had bent my car. I set off home eventually, and shortly an allotment gardener turned his bicycle across my path as I overtook..
Yet the air, the pedal rhythm and heartbeat spread its balm upon me, and I got home with mood restored, quick peer at the poor mashed motor (meh.. it'll fix) and went to make tea.
It's good that the adults are moderating the youngun's urges. Of course Gaby doesn't see it quite like that way. She's a teen - it's in her job description.

"Reach for the sun."

Just like a lot of teens

Jamie Lee's picture

Just like a lot of teens, Drew believed Jenny was interfering in the things she wanted to do. And just like many teens, Drew vision was limited to the here and now. Like many teens, Drew can't see all the what ifs of something or all of the tomorrows. Her view is limited to what she wants to do now.

One of those now things is the amount of time Drew takes to train. For her to spend 2 to 3 hours a day riding is normal, but takes time away from other activities she wants to do.

With her training, school, workouts, and now cheer team, she has little time for school work and personal time. She talks about stretching the elastic during a race, but can't see she is stretching the elastic in her personal life. And should the elastic in her personal life ever snap, Drew is going to have one heck of a problem.

Others have feelings too.