A Summer's Odyssey IV Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version


A Summer's Odyssey
Chapter 8


On Monday December 22, Krista, Jasmine, Jenny & Holly were getting ready to deliver the teddy bears, rabbits, and cabbits they and other CWP members had crocheted. They gathered in the nurse’s office after classes finished to change into cute green with red trim Christmas elf costumes. Pat, Krista’s mom and the school nurse, had the soft crocheted animals in the rear of her Expedition. They traveled into Easton to stop at the Neighborhood Services Center, which was simply a drop off.

At the University of Maryland Shore Medical Center they went into the children’s ward. After checking in with head nurse, Mrs. Miller, she escorted the elves into the kid’s rooms. The kids squealed with delight as they hugged their lovingly crafted stuffed animals. Witnessing their delight and happiness, the staff as well as the CWP girls were near tears. The parents and relatives of the hospitalized children who were present were grateful for the teen elves bringing a bit of Christmas cheer to their hospitalized children.

As they were preparing to leave Jaz noted a room that was marked ‘Isolation, please sanitize hands. Must wear gowns, gloves, booties and masks before entering’. “We didn’t visit that room,” Jaz said to Nurse Miller.

“She’s in isolation,” Nurse Miller answered. “While I’m sure she’d love a teddy bear, the risk of infection is too great.”

“We didn’t know if they’d be needed but just in case we have three sterilized stuffies,” Jaz smiled in reply as Jenny pulled three gallon sized stuffy filled ziplock bags. “We boiled them for twenty minutes then put them in a dryer we’d treated with Lysol to tumble dry on low heat. When they were dry we put on surgical gloves, rinsed our gloved hands with alcohol, sprayed Lysol into the opened bags, then packed the stuffies in the bags sealing them.”

A weary looking woman who had been standing by the nurses station almost forlornly watching the smiling elves bringing joy to the children was approaching the restricted room and overheard Jaz speaking. “You went to all that trouble not even knowing if they were needed?”

“A bit over a year ago I was in here for a few weeks,” Jaz softly replied as tears began to fill her eyes. “I don’t think I’d have survived if a complete stranger hadn’t reached out to help me.” Then she looked at Krista who smiled and blushed.

The woman and Nurse Miller realized the silent exchanged glances meant that Krista was the stranger.

“I’m sure they are sterilized,” Nurse Miller sighed. “But hospital regulations won’t allow me to let her have one.”

The weary woman sighed. “Becky really misses her stuffies. Please, can’t you let them give her one if I give my permission?”

“I’m sorry Mrs. Farr,” Nurse Miller replied clearly not liking being the heavy. “My hands are tied.”

“Let me make a call,” an authoritative but friendly voice spoke up.

The girls and Pat smiled as they saw it was Dr. Olsen who headed over to the nursing station to make a phone call to the hospital’s head administrator.

“Dr. Eastman, this is Dr. Olsen, how are you doing? ..... I’m fine. I need your okay to help the little girl in isolation. ..... No, she’s doing well. I have four cute elves from the Clan Wells Point standing in front of me. ..... Yes, they just dropped off the stuffed animals they made. I know isolation protocols prohibit stuffed animals but the girls sought my advice on how to sterilize the stuffed animals. ..... They boiled them for twenty minutes, dried them in a clothes drier treated with Lysol, then bagged them in ziplock bags treated with Lysol. ..... Of course I’ll vouch for them, the Clan Wells Point would never risk the health of anyone. ..... Mrs. Farr is right here listening along with the girls, Mrs. Scott and Nurse Miller. ..... Thank you, Dr. Eastman. I’ll pass you over to Nurse Miller so you can tell her it’s okay.”

“I got approval,” Nurse Miller smiled after she hung up the phone. “Dr. Eastman is emailing a permission slip. I’ll print it then once Dr. Olsen and Mrs. Farr sign it you can give Becky a stuffed animal. You can gown up a while.”

With that the four elves followed Mrs. Farr to the cart by the door to Becky’s room. The girls followed Mrs. Farr’s example as they sanitized their hands, then donned the gowns, booties, face masks and exam gloves.

While sanitizing her hands Jenny gasped and stared at the bubbles, then smiled and resumed washing her hands. Krista cocked her head to one side to look at Jenny. Jenny smiled and mouthed “Susan Warren.” Krista returned the smile and nodded knowing they’d talk later.

Mrs. Farr led the girls inside. Lying on the bed was a small girl with her head turned to the window. A sad, forlorn expression was clearly evident upon her face.

“Becky, Santa sent four elves to see you,” Mrs. Farr gently told her daughter.

Becky sighed and turned her head to see her mother and four teen girls. Since the gowns were semi transparent the elf costumes the girls wore were visible. Her eyes lit up and her face erupted into a grin as she hit the buttons on her bed to raise it to a sitting position. With and excited but weak voice she asked, “Are you really Santa’s elves?”

“Yes we are,” Jaz replied. “Santa sent us down from the north pole because he knows you’re a good girl. He also understands you really miss your stuffies. We have three special hand made stuffies that have been sanitized just for you!”

With that Krista held out a bag with a teddy bear, Jenny held out a bag with a rabbit and Holly held out a bag with a cabbit. Becky’s entire body seemed to light up as each girl unzipped the sealed bag she held so the little girl could pull out the stuffed animal.

As she pulled each stuffy out, she gave it a loving hug until she cuddled all three in her arms. Tears of joy trickled down her cheeks as she nuzzled them. “They ARE safe for me,” Becky exclaimed. “I can smell the sani stuff in them! I love them. Thank Santa for remembering me and thank you for bring them to me!”

“You’re very welcome, Becky,” Jenny declared as she fought back her own tears of happiness. “I’m sure having these will help you get better faster so you can go home.”

“Mommy says we can’t go back to our old home,” Becky answered. “My daddy went away and we’ll have to find a new place to live but we don’t know where that is yet.”

The girls looked at Mrs. Farr and saw her fighting back tears.

“Well, Santa knows everything and since you and your mommy are both good girls he has arranged a new home for you where you’ll have lots of friends,” Krista smiled.

Mrs. Farr’s face showed fear and she shook her head to let Krista know that wasn’t the case.

“Becky, while you get to know your new friends Santa wants us to take your mommy outside so we can tell her about your new home. Is that all right?”

“Sure,” Becky grinned as she hugged her new stuffies. “See Mommy. I told you Santa would help us! She’s been really worried about finding a new home.”

“I’ll be back in a few moments, sweetheart,” Mrs. Farr said as she kissed Becky’s head. She glared at the girls as she followed them out of the room.

“What do you think you’re doing,” Mrs. Farr almost cried in frustration. “We have no home! My no good husband Lenny took off six months ago. At the end of June, the 30th as a matter of fact, we took Becky to John Hopkins in Baltimore when we were told a donor heart was available from a little boy who was in a car crash. After the surgery Lenny went home and never came back. Because of taking care of Becky I haven’t been able to work. By the time Becky was discharged we’d been evicted from our apartment. I found a job here and we came down living in an efficiency apartment above the business. Then six weeks ago the business I was working at closed and we were evicted. We’ve been going from shelter to shelter while I tried to find work but Becky got sick so here we are. Now you have her hopes up that we’ll have a new home and friends! Her heart will be broken!” With that she broke down in tears.

Krista looked at her mother who was already on the phone to the clan. “Mrs. Farr, you do have a home with friends waiting for you and Becky. We’re from the Clan Wells Point and we help people. You and Becky have a home waiting for you with us.”

“You’re serious, you’re really serious,” Mrs. Farr asked not believing what she was hearing. Then she listened as Pat spoke.

“Yes Jane, they have no home and you know Krista. ..... Yes, the little girl had a heart transplant six months ago. ..... Okay, we’ll work out the details. I can bring the girls back tomorrow night to sit with Becky while I bring Mrs. Farr back to Wells Point to check out an apartment and meet with the you and the other clan directors. ..... Okay, we’ll talk when we get home.”

“Thanks Gram,” Krista called out before Pat disconnected the call.

“Krista is always serious about helping people,” Pat smiled. “I’m Patricia Scott and this is my daughter Krista Scott and her friends Jenny Ewell and Jasmine and Holly Reese. We’re part of the Clan Wells Point. Krista invited you to join us and if you agree you can join the clan too. As you heard the girls will come back tomorrow afternoon to spend some time with Becky while I take you back to Wells Point to check out an apartment and meet the clan directors.”

“Oh... Krista,” Mrs. Farr exclaimed as she looked from Krista to Jaz. “You’re the girl that saved that family from a burning car a few weeks ago up in Pennsylvania. The Clan Wells Point... your offer is real?”

“It’s very real,” Pat smiled.

“I... I don’t know what to say,” Mrs. Farr sniffed as she couldn’t believe her fortune was changing because of four cute elves. “Oh... I’m Wendy Farr. I’m delighted to meet you.”

“Mommy! Mommy! Come quick!” Becky excitedly called.

Naturally Wendy dashed back into the room followed by the girls. The girls stopped short when they smelled salt water and saw the water and seaweed on the floor by Becky’s bed.

“Mommy, an angel was just here,” the little girl exclaimed as she sat up and threw back the covers. “She said she was a Christmas Angel who came to make me better! Mommy, she kissed me on the head and all the pain went away! She said the elves know all about her and that we’d soon be living with a new grandma in our new home!”

“Sweetheart, don’t get all excited,” Wendy rushed over to make Becky lie back and cover her.

“Mommy, I’m all better!” Becky squealed with delight. “The elves brought the Christmas Angel to make me better.”

“Mrs Farr,” Krista interrupted as she dug in the pouch she wore. “Becky did see an angel... look on the floor.”

Wendy was getting upset afraid the excitement would make Becky worse but Krista’s words were quite forceful and insistent. Almost against her will she looked to the floor, frowning when she saw the water and seaweed. “What? Where did that come from? How did it get in here?”

“It’s the angel’s calling card,” Krista answered with utter assurance as she handed a worn photo to Wendy. “Ask Becky if this was the angel.”

Wendy hesitantly took the photo and looked at it to see a worn weary woman who’s eyes sparkled with life. “Who is she?”

“My birth mother,” Krista smiled proudly. “She’s been looking over my sisters and I since she died. She became the Clan Wells Point’s first guardian angel. We have two now. If she kissed Becky she has been healed.”

Wendy wanted to believe but it was so far fetched as to be unbelievable. Fearful and with a trembling hand she showed the picture to Becky. “Sweetheart, have you ever seen this woman?”

“That’s her Mommy!” Becky exuded happiness. “That’s the Christmas angel that made me better!”

Wendy felt feint. Could it be true? Had her prayers been answered? Wendy looked at Krista and the girls. “You believe Becky. You all believe her.”

“Yes ma’am,” Jenny spoke. “As we were washing up to come in here I saw the face of the second clan guardian angel. Becky really saw a Christmas angel and she is cured.”

The seriousness and serenity on the faces of all the girls showed their total conviction that Becky had been cured. Still not sure, afraid to get her hopes up, Wendy looked to Pat who had just entered but heard the conservation.

“Becky has been cured,” Pat affirmed after a glance to the water and seaweed. “It’ll take a day or so to medically verify but Becky should be able to come to your new home in time for Christmas.”

Wendy burst into tears of joy as Pat hugged her with understanding. Becky understood her mother was overjoyed that she’d been cured.

Arrangements were made to have the girls come out right after school which would allow Pat enough time to give Wendy a quick tour of the Clan Wells Point before darkness fell. After exchanging hugs Wendy returned to her daughter.

“You don’t know how much of a burden you’ve released from her shoulders,” Nurse Miller smiled. “We’ve been keeping an eye on her afraid she’d have a breakdown.

As Pat and the girls headed for the elevator Krista nudged Jenny. “You saw Susan Warren in the bubbles while you washed your hands?”

“Yes,” Jenny nodded only to see confusion on the other three faces. “When I was sanitizing my hands I saw Susan in the bubbles. She was mouthing the words ‘Three more’.”

“Wendy and Becky make two new recruits we’ve saved so we have another to save tonight,” Jaz smiled looking forward to helping someone else.

The elevator stopped two floors down. As the doors opened they saw a woman in her fifties with her head against the wall beside the hospice department. It was clear to see she was forlornly crying. As one the five exited the elevator. Holly pulled a teddy bear out of the bag and walked to the woman.

“It looks like you could use this,” Holly softly declared as she held out the bear.

The woman instantly stood straight and stifled her tears to look at the proffered bear and the four elves. Hesitantly she accepted the teddy bear. Biting her lips she clutched the stuffed animal to her breasts and broke down in tears. The girls warmly hugged the woman which was the exact thing she needed at that moment.

It took ten minutes before she pulled herself together. “Thank you,” she whispered as she dabbed her eyes with a tissue Pat passed to her.

Pat exchanged glances with the girls then asked, “Have you had supper?”

“Supper... no,” the red eyed woman said. “I... I really haven’t been eating well lately.”

“Well, then join us. Our treat,” Pat smiled. “We just finished handing out stuffed animals on the children’s ward.”

“Okay,” the woman wearily agreed.

“I’m Pat Scott, this is my daughter Krista and her friends Jenny Ewell and Jasmine and Holly Reese,” Pat introduced herself and the girls.

“I’m Helen Teeter,” the woman sighed.

As they rode down the elevator Pat decided the woman was in no shape to drive. Helen didn’t object to riding with them. Fifteen minutes later they were pulling into the Easton Chili’s. They all realized Helen was merely going through the motions of life.

They were seated by the outside wall in the middle of the dining area. After their meals arrived and they began to eat Helen seemed to be stimulated by the chattering girls perking up a bit.

Krista noted a tiny bit of sparkle appear in Helen’s weary eyes. “Mrs. Teeter, what can we do to help you?”

“Help me, my sweet child you already have,” Helen smiled sadly. “Simply being with you lively girls has shown me life goes on.”

“It does,” Jenny softly replied. “Last year at this time my life was horrible. You see, I’m a girl with a birth defect. I was born with male genitals. Needless to say I didn’t come close to living up to my parent’s expectations. On New Years Eve I decided to tell them I was transgender. I figured they’d kill me which would end my living hell. My dad flipped out and began beating me. He threw me through a wall. While I was dazed my mom finally came to my defense. Dad was in a rage and turned on her, strangling her. I tried to stop him by grabbing an empty beer bottle. I was so wobbly I barely made it to him. I put everything I had into the swing as I brained him. I passed out. When I woke up I found dad had strangled mom and I’d killed him.”

“My word,” Helen gasped. “That’s horrible. But now... I’d never have guessed you weren’t born a girl. I’d always thought transsexuals were freaks but I’ve learned I was wrong. You’re like that spunky girl Krista.”

Three girls giggled and looked at Krista who looked down at her plate and blushed.

“Oh my,” Helen exclaimed in surprise. “You’re THAT Krista!”

“Yes ma’am,” Krista admitted.

Then she looked at Jasmine and Holly. It was easy to tell they were sisters. Her gaze settled on Jaz. “Are you the girl who was in a coma?”

“Yes ma’am,” Jaz acknowledged.

“Well, it seems I’m in good company,” Helen smiled but then her smile faded. “I want to thank you for your act of kindness in taking a weary old woman to supper.”

“Whatever trouble you’re experiencing will pass,” Jenny declared with certainty. “If you need friends, we’re here.”

Helen bit her lip yet managed a tired smile. “I could sure use friends right now.”

“It helps to share your problems,” Krista stated. “Instead of bearing all your woes on your shoulders, friends will share the burden lightening yours. Like Jenny said, we’re here for you.”

Tears began to trickle down Helen’s cheeks. “I... I don’t want to burden you with my problems.”

Krista looked at the other girls who nodded their heads. As they rose to stand Krista began to sing. The other girls joined in a moving acapella rendition after the first line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogXIkxxurDQ )

“The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows when
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

So on we go
His welfare is my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there
For I know
He would not encumber me
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

If I'm laden at all
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with gladness
Of love for one another

It's a long, long road
From which there is no return
While we're on our way to there
Why not share
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

He's my brother
He ain't heavy, he's my brother...”

The angelic harmonizing of the four teens still in their Elf costumes had stilled all conversation in the normally verbose restaurant. When they finished the entire place erupted in cheers and applause while Helen was openly crying. The girls surrounded her with a loving mass hug.

Several people called out asking for the girls to sing another song. Sheepishly looking about they saw everyone smiling, including the staff. After a quick conference they turned to face the room and began to sing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFjdfjrtf1Q

“The fireplace is burning bright, shining all on me
I see the presents underneath the good old Christmas tree
And I wait all night 'til Santa comes to wake me from my dreams
Oh, why? 'Cause that's Christmas to me

I see the children play outside, like angels in the snow
While mom and daddy share a kiss under the mistletoe
And we'll cherish all these simple things wherever we may be
Oh, why? 'Cause that's Christmas to me

I've got this Christmas song in my heart
I've got the candles glowing in the dark
I'm hanging all the stockings by the Christmas tree
Oh, why? 'Cause that's Christmas to me
Oh, why? 'Cause that's Christmas to me

I listen for the thud of reindeer walking on the roof
As I fall asleep to lullabies, the morning's coming soon
The only gift I'll ever need is the joy of family
Oh, why? 'Cause that's Christmas to me

I've got this Christmas song in my heart (song in my heart)
I've got the candles glowing in the dark
I'm hanging all the stockings by the Christmas tree
Oh, why? 'Cause that's Christmas to me
Oh, why? 'Cause that's Christmas to me

Ooooohhhhoooohhooohhh
Ooooohhhhoooohhooohhh

Oh, the joy that fills our hearts and makes us see
Oh, why? 'Cause that's Christmas to me

I've got this Christmas song in my heart
I've got the candles glowing in the dark
And then for years to come we'll always know one thing
That's the love that Christmas can bring
Oh, why? 'Cause that's Christmas to me”

The place once more erupted in cheers and applause as well as calls for more. The girls curtseyed but demurred another song and sat to finish their meal.

As the sound of conversation returned Helen smiled at the girls. “That was simply delightful. Thank you.” Then she took a deep breath. “When you found me outside the elevator I was just leaving the hospice unit. My husband, Kirk, just lost his battle with cancer.”

“My birth mother died of cancer,” Krista said as she placed a comforting hand on Helen’s hand. “It’s not easy watching your loved one slowly fade away. You have our condolences. You also have our friendship and support. Don’t try to deny your grief. You need to embrace it to get through it.”

“I know,” Helen said. “But it’s so hard with the other things that happened. Our son Kirk Jr. was killed in Afghanistan in June. His wife Linda and five year old son Kurt were devastated. Kirk and I did our best to support them but we were torn apart too. After the funeral we had a reception. We’ll never know what happened but as they drove home Linda’s car crossed into oncoming traffic hitting a tractor trailer head on. She was killed instantly. Kurt was flown to John Hopkins. We rushed there and kept vigil but after three days he was declared brain dead. We agreed to have his organs donated which was done on June 30. At least his death saved others. The entire ordeal was hard on both of us but we leaned on each other. We’d just buried Linda and Kurt on July 3 when my Kirk collapsed. That’s when we found out he had cancer. Kirk stayed strong right up to the end. I stayed strong for him but today... he went to his reward but I’ve been left behind. It’s not fair... losing our son and his family then six months later losing Kirk... I have no family left. I’m all alone now... with Christmas so close... a large part of me wishes I’d die so I could join them.”

“You’re not alone,” Pat assured her. “You have us.”

Helen smiled wearily through her tears.

“It wasn’t chance that we were at the hospital tonight,” Jenny spoke up. “God set things up so we’d be there. Up in the children’s ward we met a little girl who recently had a heart transplant and had to re-hospitalized for an infection. We had sterilized three stuffies just in case someone was in isolation so we were able to give them to the girl. As we were sanitizing to go into her room, I saw the image of one of our clan guardian angels form in the bubbles on my hands. She was mouthing the words ‘Three more’. We met Becky and her mom Wendy. When we found out they’re homeless we invited them to join the Clan Wells Point, numbers one and two. Then the other clan guardian angel came and healed the girl. We met you as we were leaving. Since you have no family left, we’ll invite you to join the clan. You’re number three.”

“All this based on seeing an angel in soap bubbles?” It was clear Helen was skeptical.

“The Clan Wells Point has two angels,” Jaz explained. “The first angel was Krista’s birth mother, Carol. She helped me escape the coma I was trapped in. She led me to near consciousness then Krista and the cheerleaders helped me wake up. She’s been active with the clan. Then in June a woman clan member, Susan, died of cancer. Carol came for her, they left wet footprints on the floor from her bedroom to the bedroom of her infant twin grandchildren’s. When we scattered her ashes she we blew bubbles to celebrate her graduation to the next life. We recorded the celebration and when we watched the recording we saw Susan’s image on the bubbles smiling at us.”

“Last month we were in Pennsylvania cleaning out my late grandparent’s home,” Jenny picked up the conversation. “As we were getting ready to leave I stopped at the outflow pipe of their pond to look at the swirling bubbles like I did when I was a little kid. Susan’s face appeared in the bubbles and mouthed ‘Ten minutes’ so we delayed our departure by ten minutes. As we were traveling home a nasty accident happened right in front of us. Krista crawled inside a burning car, handed out two kids in car seats, put a tourniquet on the driver’s cut arm, then cut off his arm to free him. We saved the family and they’re now part of the clan. If we had not delayed the ten minutes, the accident would have happened after we passed the site. We’ve learned to trust our guardian angels when they communicate with us. We were meant to meet you tonight to offer you membership in the Clan Wells Point.”

“I don’t know what to say,” Helen replied now a little spooked.

“You need to join the clan,” Krista stated firmly despite tears trickling from the corners of her eyes.

The others were instantly concerned about what had evoked the tears.

“Helen, your family is not all gone,” Krista declared. “Parts of your grandson are still alive. Not only that, but I know where his heart is.” More tears flowed down her cheeks as she struggled to maintain her composure.

The others were momentarily puzzled, then one by one their faces lit up and they gasped.

“Oh my God,” Helen gasped. “My grandson’s heart is in that little girl...” With that she broke down in heart rending sobs.

The girls immediately swarmed her with hugs.

Once Helen regained control Pat insisted she not be alone and brought her back to the clan. As they drove Krista called Kylie to explain what was going on. Minutes later Pat pulled up in front of the main farmhouse. Helen found herself surrounded by Kylie and Larry holding Sonny and Rayne, as well as Tony, Evelyn and Rachel Masters. Pat left her in their capable hands as she took the girls and herself home.

Helen was overwhelmed by the care and concern of these people she’d never met. They talked about Helen’s recent losses, the little girl who had her grandson’s heart, and the clan. It was a bit after eleven when she settled into bed. As could be expected sleep eluded her for quite some time.

Eventually she slipped into a hazy semi sleep. She found herself wandering through the cemetery where Kirk Jr,, Linda and Kurt were buried. The sun was shining, the leaves of the trees were blowing in a gentle breeze and the birds were singing sweetly. As she approached their graves she saw the back of a man standing before the graves looking at the grave stones. As she walked closer she wondered who he might be as other than herself she knew of no one who would visit the graves. Cautiously she slowed her approach.

“There’s no need to be afraid, dear,” Kirk Teeter smiled as he turned to face her.

Helen froze as she stared at her husband. “Kirk? Oh my God!” Then she noticed the tombstones were visible through his body.

“Now that I’ve graduated I’ll be leaving shortly to join Kirk Jr., Linda and Kurt,” Kirk smiled. “A lovely woman who was a member of the Clan Wells Point named Susan eased my passing. She told me I’d be allowed to say goodbye to you and assure you the kids are okay. We’ll all be waiting when it’s your time to graduate. In the meantime Kurt wants to give you a Christmas present. He said you’d always have a place in his heart and he’d like you to become the grandmother of the little girl who received his heart. Like you she and her mother have no living family. I totally agree with him.. You need to move forward. Join the Clan Wells Point with them and be her grandmother. Until we meet again my love.”

With that he began to fade away. As he did so Helen saw her son and his family fade into view waving to her. The four held hands as they walked away with Kurt looking over his shoulder smiling. Helen stood watching as they and the cemetery faded into mist.

When she awoke in the morning for the first time since her son’s death Helen felt refreshed. Dressing she joined the others for breakfast. After making arrangements to have Kirk’s funeral on Wednesday afternoon she spent the day playing with Sonny and Rayne. Bill Dougherty drove Helen to the school so she could ride with Pat and the girls back to the hospital.

Upon arrival on the pediatric ward they all donned protective gear then entered Becky’s room. Becky smiled to see the four girls.

Helen stood just inside the room staring at the cute little girl. She remembered that Kurt had said he’d always have a place for her in his heart. That heart was still beating in that darling little girl. Upon seeing her Helen understood she could do nothing less than love the little girl who lived thanks to her grandson’s heart.

Wendy noted Helen trembling and blinking back tears. She assumed she was someone from the clan.

Becky noted the girls were not wearing their elf outfits. “Are you off duty?”

“Yes,” Krista smiled. “We help Santa when he needs elves in this area. Most of the time, like now, we’re just regular girls.”

“Okay,” Becky nodded. “Do you live at the north pole?”

“No, we live nearby,” Krista answered. “Santa’s travel magic only works on Christmas Eve. The North Pole is too far away for us to go back and forth. In fact, when you’re in your new home we will be neighbors.”

“I hope our new home is nice,” Becky said. “Our last home wasn’t very nice. Are there any kids my age there?”

“There are two girls and a boy your age as well as lots of older and younger kids,” Krista smiled. “We have a lot of pictures on my computer. We can show you what your house and the area looks like as well as the kids.”

Wendy smiled when she saw Krista pull her computer out.

“It’s been sterilized,” Pat whispered. “Even though it isn’t needed anymore.”

The adults left the girls entertaining Becky. Pat introduced the women as they headed to the parking lot. Pat revealed Helen’s recent bereavement and Wendy’s loss of spouse and home.

As they drove to Wells Point Pat spoke up. “Wendy, do you know the who donated Becky’s heart?”

“We tried to find out but they wouldn’t tell us unless the donor’s family agreed,” Wendy answered from the rear seat. “I really wanted to thank them for giving me the gift of life for my baby.”

“It was my grandson, Kurt,” Helen declared with a shaky voice.

“Oh my God, Helen, I’m sorry for your loss but thank you for having the courage to save my daughter,” Wendy exclaimed as she reached across the seat to grasp Helen’s hand. “That’s why you were looking at Becky. She’ll be delighted to meet you.”

“I look forward to getting to know both of you,” Helen managed to squeak out as she grasped Wendy’s hand.

Pat then explained about the clan angels Carol and Susan and how they impacted the clan. Then she told Wendy about Jenny seeing Susan in the bubbles while sanitizing her hands

As the two women held hands Helen explained about her dream vision seeing her deceased family and that her grandson had told her she’d always have a place in his heart and now that his heart was in Becky that meant that love was now in her. “Wendy, you have no family but Becky and I have no one. Could I please become Becky’s new grandmother? My love is already in her heart.”

Wendy choked up. The love and hope in Helen’s voice touched her heart. Being the lone adult dealing with Becky’s situation was wearing her down. Having someone to help, to be Becky’s grandmother sounded good. With a tremulous voice she responded. “I have one condition for you to become Becky’s grandmother... you have to become my mother.”

“Of course,” Helen sniffled as they squeezed each other’s hands.

With the revelation out of the way Pat explained a bit about the Clan Wells Point. When they approached the clan land she pointed out the fields and forests. She drove down to the former Jablonski farm to show that land. Then she turned into Almost Neavitt Road driving to the house the Evans family recently vacated.

“This is the house the clan would provide for you,” Pat explained as she stopped beside the house. “We’ll come back in a bit. I want to give you a quick tour of the rest of the clan land.”

The women were amazed at just how much property the clan owned and how many homes and businesses were present. They stopped in the offices of CWP LLC where they met with the clan directors to discuss membership. Since Wendy had little more than the clothes she and Becky had she had no assets to pool. Helen had two homes, the one she lived in and the one she inherited from her grandson’s estate. Helen asked if Steven could process adoption papers for Wendy thus making Becky her granddaughter. Since both were adults there would be no issue and Steve promised to process it the next day. With luck it might be approved before Christmas.

As darkness fell Pat drove the women back to the house that would be theirs. The one and a half story three bedroom two bath home was spacious with a nice lawn. Helen assured Wendy the furniture in her home would fit nicely. Before they left the clan property Pat off of Bills l lane onto the grass verge surrounding the pasture to the end of what the kids had tagged Turkey Drumstick Point (on maps it looks like a turkey drumstick) across Johns Cove from the CWP Landing. Both women gasped in awe as they looked across Balls Creek. The southern shore was lined with houses and docks, all decorated with brightly colored Christmas lights. The lights sparkled as they reflected off the gentle waves running across the water.

“I hope we can bring Becky home in time to see this,” Wendy sighed.

“If the weather’s good the kids want to have a bonfire out here on Christmas Eve after the church service,” Pat smiled.

Forty five minutes later they were back at the hospital. The girls had kept Becky so entertained she hadn’t had time to miss her mother.

Alonng with Wendy’s worries being alleviated Becky’s condition improved rapidly. With help from the clan Helen packed up her house. While Kirk’s funeral was being held on Wednesday morning the CWP moved Helens furniture and belongings into the home on Wells Point. They even filled the pantry and refrigerator, made the beds and set up a Christmas tree complete with wrapped gifts for Becky.

The four directors of CWP, Pat and Wendy attended the funeral to support Helen. Helen herself was all smiles as she warmly greeted Kirk’s coworkers and their friends. Her upbeat attitude clearly surprised them especially when she went to the microphone to speak.

“I’d feared Kirk’s passing,” Helen began. “Just after he died I was in the hospital lobby crying while waiting for the elevator. When the doors opened four elves came out and gave me a teddy bear. They had been up on the children’s ward passing out teddy bears to the kids. They realized I was distraught and wouldn’t let me be by myself. I wound up joining them and the mother of one for supper. They told me an angel had told them to look out for a person in need. Those elves were from the Clan Wells Point. One of them was Krista Scott. I can tell you what we’ve heard about her doesn’t begin to express just how honest and caring she is. They took me out to the clan because they didn’t want me to be alone. They’d told me people don’t die, they graduate to the next life.”

“That night I dreamed I was at the cemetery going to the graves Kirk Jr, Linda, and Kurt,” Helen continued. “I saw a man looking at the graves, when he turned it was Kirk. He smiled and said he was joining them and they would be waiting for me when my time came. Then he told me Kurt kept his love for me in his heart and it was still there. As Kirk faded from view I saw Kirk Jr, Linda and Kurt join him. As they walked away Kurt turned and smiled.”

Helen paused to regain her composure. “One of the little girls the elves visited in the children’s ward turned out to be the girl who received Kurt’s heart. That little girl has Kurt’s love for me in her heart. I’ve met Becky and her mother. Due to circumstances beyond their control they’re homeless with no family just like me. Yesterday Judge Watkins approved my adoption of Wendy. Becky is now my granddaughter. Together we’ve also joined the Clan Wells Point and are moving their today. I’ll miss Kirk, but even in his death he’s looking out for me and is helping Becky and her mother have a loving family.”

“When Kirk died, I had no hopes for a merry Christmas,” Helen concluded. “Now I know I will have a very Merry Christmas with a new home and family. I also know Kirk is truly resting in peace.”

Those attending were clearly surprised by Helen’s words and not sure what to make of it. Soon they were at the cemetery for a quick internment. A small luncheon reception was held where the guests were able to talk to the CWP members including Wendy. While still not sure how to take what they learned, they were assured Helen was going to be okay.

As they left Wendy got a call from the hospital. Repeated tests could find no sign of the infection that had put Becky in the hospital. She was ready to go home! They quickly headed to the hospital.

Nurse Miller explained they’d never seen such a rapid and remarkable recovery.

It was just before supper when they arrived at the O’Brien farm. Helen, Wendy and Becky were a bit overwhelmed to see Krista leading her sisters as they finished setting the steaming food on the table.

Pat introduced the newcomers. “Everyone, this is Helen, Wendy and Becky our newest clan members. This is Jane’s husband Kevin Stewart, my husband Leroy Scott, you know Krista, these are my daughters Lyndi, Teri and Sandi and my sons Leroy Jr. and Peter.”

When they finished the meal, Helen shook her head in amazement. “That was delicious. Again Krista, you amaze me.”

“I’ve had excellent teachers,” Krista demurred as she glanced at Jane and Pat. “I couldn’t have done it without my sisters.”

The three girls smiled and blushed.

“We women will clean up,” Jane declared. “Girls, take Becky upstairs and help her dress in the Christmas Dress we got for her.”

Clad in her knee length green velvet dress with red lace trim and red tights decorated with green Christmas trees Becky looked around marveling at all the candles in the church as they entered for the Christmas Eve Service. This was the first Christmas eve service she could remember. Sandi took her around to introduce her to the other little kids before the service began. The singing mesmerized her.

After the service the members of the Clan Wells Point and a few guests caravaned out to Turkey Drumstick Point arriving at 9:30pm. They drove on the grass verge out to the southern end of the point leaving the center hundred feet clear. To provide for safe movement in the dark night Tiki style oil torches were lit illuminating the area with flickering firelight in the steady but gentle breeze. The teens immediately headed out to the boulders protectively delineating the shore. Despite having erected a thirty six inch high green plastic coated wire mesh fence the teens, sitting upon blankets, formed a human wall to prevent the excited smaller children from accidently falling into the water. The adults also knew the teens, all of whom had a companion, would enjoy the cuddle time even if it were in public... and thus safe.

Becky, now wearing a mottled white faux fur ankle length hooded winter coat, joined the other happily squealing children running to the line formed by the teens. For nearly a mile the numerous house and docks lining the southern shore of Balls Creek were decorated with thousands of sparkling multicolored Christmas lights. The gentle rippling waves on the nine hundred feet of water between Turkey Drumstick Point and the southern shore of Balls Creek reflected the gaily colored lights making them flicker and dance. It was a beautiful and enticing sight.

Several grills were fired up to heat urns of warmed apple cider. Cinnamon sticks were available for those who wanted them. Despite the barely above freezing temperatures the joyous singing of Christmas carols in the light of the flickering of torches made for a warm festive environment. Snow flakes began to fall making the small children squeal with delight and dance around trying to catch snowflakes on their tongues adding to the almost magical Christmas scene. Finally everyone gathered around a crossed log tower ten feet tall stuffed with hay.

Megaphone in hand Krista addressed her clanspeople. “Before we light our first annual bonfire we need to vote to on the membership of Helen Teeter, Wendy Farr and Becky Farr. You already know they’ve been picked by our guardian angels. All in favor of granting full membership to the three newest recruits please shout ‘AYE’.”

A loud chorus of ‘AYES’ resonded.

“Any opposed please shout ‘NAY’.”

Silence.

“Let’s give a rousing cheer for the newest members of the now ninety seven member strong Clan Wells Point!”

What followed was a raucoius ‘HOORAY’ accompanied by applause and a few whistles.

As the newest member of the Clan Wells Point Becky was given the honor of igniting the first Clan Wells Point Christmas Bonfire. With Wendy’s assistance, Becky lit an oil soaked dried moss torch from one of the oil torches. Together they thrust the torch through the logs at the base of the log stack to ignite the straw. In moments the straw was burning fiercely easily igniting the well dried logs.

Fifteen minutes later as the bonfire burned down parents carried their worn out children through the still falling snow to their vehicles for the short trip home. Most were home by 11:00pm. Those that remained did so to make sure the flames of the bonfire were doused.

Five minutes after leaving the bonfire Helen opened the door to their new home and turned on the lights. Wendy entered carrying a slumbering Becky. The women stopped in delighted surprise as they saw the furniture placed and the decorated tree with wrapped gifts beneath.

Wendy didn’t fight the tears of joyous wonder. “How did they do this?”

“I knew they were going to deliver my furniture and belongings,” Helen replied. “But to do all this... I REALLY want to belong to the Clan Wells Point!”

“Tonight has been so wonderful,” Wendy sniffled. “The church service, the bonfire, and now this... Becky is finally having a Merry Christmas.”

The women headed to the bedrooms to see if the furniture had been set up there. To their delight not only had they been set up, their clothes had been put in the closets and dressers. Helen assisted Wendy in changing Wendy into her pajamas. The women went to their rooms and collapsed into their beds.

For Wendy it was the first real night of rest she had since Becky’s heart transplant. Nearly six months of anguish and worry about her daughter’s future had ended.

For Helen the fact she’d buried her husband that morning while sad and heartrending had not been the end of her world as she’d previously feared. It had been an end, but his death had also opened the door for her new family. The fact the heart she felt beating when she hugged Becky was her grandsons made her life come full circle. The loss of one family while gaining another with a very heart warming connection between the two. (Pun intended)

The next morning Helen and Wendy were awakened by Becky’s squeals of excitement. “Mommy, Mommy, Santa was here! Santa was here!”

The women hurried to the living room to find Becky delightedly hopping and clapping. “Look! He left us presents and a tree! How did he know where to find us?”

“Remember, the girls who are Santa’s part time elves live nearby,” Wendy answered. “You saw the girls last night at the bonfire.”

Helen smiled and plugged in the lights to illuminate the tree.

Becky’s eyes lit up with pure delight. “It’s so beautiful!”

“Yes it is,” Helen agreed.

Becky looked hopefully at the adults. “Can we open the presents?”

“Not yet,” Helen answered. “We need to eat breakfast first.”

“Okay Grammy,” Becky replied with a bit of reluctance as her eyes lingered on the tree and presents.

Helen choked up as tears flowed from her eyes.

Wendy sidled over to her and whispered, “Are you alright?”

“I’m wonderful,” Helen whispered in answerer. “My grandson Kurt called me Grammy. How did she know?”

“I have no idea,” Wendy whispered then spoke to her daughter. “Becky, why did you call your new grandmother Grammy?”

“That’s the way I felt in my heart,” Becky answered with childish innocence.

Both women choked up.

Breakfast was a quick affair simply because Becky was bouncing in her seat. Soon they gathered around the tree. One by one Becky picked up a wrapped gift and took it to Helen who read the label. Becky handed the women their gifts and created a pile of her gifts. The women were pleasantly surprised to have gifts addressed to them.

One by one Becky eagerly tore through the wrapping to squeal with excitement when she saw the gift. Dolls, doll furniture, a baby carriage, pretty dresses and books were greeted with equal excitement.

Once all the gifts were open the family simply enjoyed sharing their happiness. The hopelessness they’d felt three short days before was banished. Thanks to Krista and the Clan Wells Point they experienced the best Christmas they’d ever enjoyed.

up
182 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sounds about right

Beoca's picture

This is the Clan Wells Point: where everyone becomes a dedicated supporter, whether they started out as acquaintance or enemy (or stranger). Even more so now that they have guardian angels.

The Clan is going to do a ton of good, and anyone who tries to do anything about will end up helping out - with a huge smile on their face. You can't beat them, so just join the party.

This is probably as close as it gets to a real world version of Abnegation.

On a unrelated note, this is the first time I've noticed the date on a story change when I logged in - I'm only a couple of hours ahead of server time.

*bawls*

Alecia Snowfall's picture

*bawls* JENNIFER!!!!!! *shreds empty Kleenex box in frustration*

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

This chapter left me crying

This chapter left me crying at times, yet it was also uplifting and Christmas spirited. What a truly great family these three came into, all because the girls went to the hospital to hand out crocheted stuffed animals. LOVED IT.

This story ...

I noticed I had a lonely, like new plushy Polar Bear who has a 'mini-Bunny' Friend.

I donated them forward towards someone who is in need of Comfort.