Tammy:Aftermath - Part 3 Home

Printer-friendly version
 Aftermath  

Part
 
Three

 

"Home"

 

 
Saturday 27th August 2016 (Cont)
 

Tammy waited for the image to appear on her phone but they were now too far from the nearest mobile phone mast.

"I have a problem, boys," she shouted across the noisy cabin, "there's an alarm at my house."

"What is it?"

"Intruder, apparently. I've lost contact with my security desk."

They checked their own phones but had a similar problem. Tammy put a headset on and spoke to the pilot.

"Jim, can you manage a quiet approach to the McPherson helipad from the West? We have a problem at the house and I don't want to give them any warning."

"Problem?"

"Intruder. I'm out of contact with my office right now."

"I'll increase speed but I'll drop down, there's mobile phone coverage along the road."

"Thanks."

Their stomachs lurched as the chopper made a dive, losing a few hundred feet. It was a tense few minutes before Tammy's phone had a signal, Martin Gore was in the first image she received.

"Damn." She showed the Fraser twins the photo.

"He's a missing person," offered Neale.

"He's wanted on suspicion of murder and he's probably after me."

"You'll need backup."

"I know, but the nearest armed unit will be in Inverness, won't it?"

"They could be out on patrol, but it could be anywhere in the Caithness area."

"Not helpful."

"We'll do what we can, but we aren't on duty and we don't have our usual kit."

"Are either of you firearms trained?"

They shook their heads. Regardless, Tammy took the Glock 19 out of her holster to check it, it was hidden under her jacket. If the boys were surprised, they tried not to show it. Having done her checks she put the weapon back. Next she reached into her handbag and removed the Glock 26.

"Bloody hell, Tammy, you're tooled up!"

"That depends on your point of view. I don't know what Martin Gore is planning or what he's already done. I don't know if he's armed and right now I don't know exactly where he is. That means being ready for anything, I simply don't know what we're waling into."

"Those are legal?" Asked Andrew?

"Yes, completely."

"And you'd use them?" Asked Neal.

"In order to protect myself, you, or others? Yes."

Her phone pinged again, it was a text message from Security.
 

Gore has called the Met Police to demand you go to him, he has your parents as hostages. You are instructed not to go in.

 
That didn't help, Tammy decided to keep that to herself, but what were MI5 playing at? These were her parents at risk!

It was another twenty minutes before they landed, the pilot trying the quietest approach he could; Jim decided to stay on the ground in case he was needed. Tammy shifted the Glock 26 to her hands.

Cathy's butler, Thomas came out. "Can I take your bags, Miss Smart?"

"Please, there's an intruder at home."

"I understand. I'll advise the groundsmen and Miss McPherson."

"Thank you."

Tammy borrowed the McPherson golf cart to take the Fraser twins over to the connecting gate, it was still locked but thankfully she had her keys with her. They left the cart just inside the yard, ensuring the gateway was clear. A Landrover arrived just behind them, Jonathon and William were both carrying shotguns.

"His name is Martin Gore, he's wanted for murder, but please don't kill him, he needs to answer for what he's done."

They were at the rear door, Tammy hesitated before entering the code when she suddenly heard the sound of tyres on the gravel out front, followed by banging. She carefully opened the rear door and took a step inside, the others followed.

Out the front she could hear the Police shouting for Gore to give himself up, Tammy crept forward just reaching the kitchen door. Suddenly it flew open and Gore ran to the front door, carrying a shotgun. He shouted back. Tammy saw an opportunity but was pulled aside, as the Frasers threw themselves at Gore, flattening him against the front door.

It was over in seconds. They secured him whilst Tammy went into the kitchen. Richard and Joan were there, tied and gagged. Tammy removed the gags and grabbed a knife to release the bonds.

Joan was sobbing, and Richard was desperately trying to remain calm. His face was starting to show bruises where he'd been hit.

Uniformed Police now arrived, Tammy had left her Glock on the worktop when she's opened a drawer for a knife. They spotted it straight away, Tammy was within range of it.

"That's mine officer and I'm licensed."

"Really?"

"I'm Tamara Smart, check your records."

"You're in London, that's what the Met said?"

"Well, I'm here now, and I managed to get here before you did, then two off-duty officers helped secure the prisoner before you entered the premises. I'd say that was a successful job?"

"That doesn't explain the weapon, step away slowly."

"No, I'm here to protect my parents and I won't let anyone stop me."

A new face spoke from the doorway. "I suggest you leave this with me, constable."

"But ..."

"Go! Special Branch will be conducting the interviews and I'll need your notes, when you've written this up. You can take the prisoner but he's to be treated as a terrorist, understood?"

"Yes, Sir."

Joan fled the room, heading for the loo, Richard decided to put the kettle on. "Tea?"

"Good idea Dad & thank you, Iain."

"I should have let you pull yourself out of that one, Tammy, but it would have caused too much trouble. I've been given some background on Gore and it seems you are heavily involved."

"Not just me, have you spoken to DI Kevin Edmunds?"

"Not yet."

"Okay, I'll call him, once we have a cuppa."

Joan came back into the kitchen looking a little fresher, she hugged Tammy.

"I don't know why you're here, I'm just glad you are."

"I needed to get out of London and I wanted this to be a surprise. Suzie was asked not to tell you."

"Is the gun necessary?"

Richard coughed, "perhaps we can leave that question until we don't have a house full of visitors?" He poured the tea, Tammy would have preferred coffee but right now that didn't seem important.

She checked that her father was okay then took Deputy Inspector Iain Brown into the study; she called Kevin on her mobile.

"It's Tammy, you're on speaker and I have Deputy Inspector Brown with me."

"Good morning, I hear you have Gore?"

"Yes, he's on his way to custody." Iain answered.

"Excellent news, you mean he survived an encounter with Miss Smart?"

"That's not fair, Kevin!"

"I'm not sure Harry Cooper would agree with you."

"Look, we're not here to discuss that."

"No, we're not. Inspector, Iain, can I assume that he'll not escape your custody?"

"I would hope not, but he may have cracked a rib during the arrest."

"Unfortunate."

"Quite. I've instructed that he's to be treated as a terrorism suspect for now, that'll mean we can keep a lid on it. Special Branch will conduct the interviews."

"I'm coming up, can you hold off for a few hours?"

"In the spirit of co-operation? Sure."

It was gone two in the afternoon before the last police officer had left the house. Cathy had sent lunch over and Tammy's bags had eventually arrived.

Joan had cried with Cathy, cried more with Tammy, and of course with Richard. She was angry, relieved and confused.

"What are you messed up with, Tammy?"

"This goes back to David's funeral, when I shot Anita Gore. You know he was after Finlay and Daisy as well?"

"I tried to keep out of that."

"Well, it was a real threat. He blamed me for Anita and John Gore's deaths."

"When did John Gore die?"

"A few months ago, in prison; pparently it was an accident."

"I think you should take a long hard look at yourself and decide where your future lies, Tammy."

"Yes, mum."

"And lock that gun away!"

"Already done."

Tammy had expected Kevin Edmunds to make an appearance, but Gore had been taken to the more secure Inverness police station and Kevin was staying over there for now. Cathy invited the Smarts over for dinner but they declined, a quiet weekend was needed.

 
Monday 29th August 2016
 

The threatened rain had arrived, well it *was* a Bank Holiday weekend! Tammy looked at the clock, had a wee, then climbed back into bed.

Where was her future going, was this really the life she needed? Tammy wasn't sure any more. So far this week she'd been involved in three incidents involving weapons, is that normal for an almost twenty year old? Do her family have to suffer because of her career choice?

That one was easy to answer.

No.

She knew what she needed to do, but first she needed breakfast.

Richard was in the kitchen, brewing coffee. "I figured you'd want to start the day with this?"

"Thanks Dad, how's mum?"

"She didn't sleep too well, but she's not slept well for a few months."

"Oh." This was news.

"It was after that incident in London, in the coffee shop. You haven't said if you were there but Cathy showed her a photo from the internet that looked quite like you."

"I see."

"Was that you?"

"Yes."

"Is that what you're doing these days?"

"No, I was there for a coffee. It wasn't my idea for a gun fight."

"She was convinced we'll get a call one day, you know what I mean."

"Yeah, but it'll never happen to me?"

"Don't delude yourself, Tammy, if you play with fire then you'll get burnt."

"So mum worries?"

"Yes. The doctor prescribed sleeping pills for those night when she has real trouble, but they don't fix the problem."

"I'm the problem."

"I wouldn't say that."

"Maybe not, but I am the issue, aren't I?"

"Yes."

"You do know, don't you, that even if I resigned tomorrow, I still have obligations and I would still be a target? There are folk out there who don't like me, even being in Thurso is a risk."

"So are you saying you can't ever leave the Security Service?"

"Not if I want to stay alive, ironic isn't it."

"That's not a word I would use, how about dangerous and foolhardy?"

"Look, I have options to spend six months in one part of the country on one job, then move elsewhere for another six months."

"That's an itinerant lifestyle, you need roots. How about settling down and starting a family?"

"I can't, Dad, not a family."

"Sorry, you've been a daughter for so long that I forget."

"Nearly two years."

"So, what are you thinking of doing?"

"I need to make some calls, and I can't do that before Tuesday."

"How about giving me a hand with breakfast? Zara's away for the weekend as we weren't expecting company."

"Sure."

Kevin phoned her mid morning, "lunch? I'll be in Thurso by one."

"Castletown Hotel?"

"Yes, I'm booked there for tonight."

Tammy made her way over to the McPherson house. She'd been here once since Elsie's wake and it hadn't felt right. Cathy had started to update the furnishings and make it a more modern family home.

"Good morning Miss Smart, the young ladies are in the pool."

"Thank you, Thomas."

Tammy padded down to the basement in her joggers, which she quickly stripped to expose her bikini. Twenty months of hormones had done their best and she could now fill a C cup.

"Tammy!"

"Hi girls!"

Florence was also in a bikini and was developing nicely, whilst Daisy still preferred the one piece.They played in the water for half an hour; in here Tammy had no worries and no stress.

Once they were dried, they went to the conservatory, the sun was breaking through and it was warming up. Thomas brought a coffee for Tammy and Florence, whilst Daisy took a cordial.

"Are you ready for school, Florence?"

"I hope so, Tammy, I just want them to accept me."

"I would have thought so, when did you start the blockers and the hormones?"

"In May."

"What about boarding?"

"I'll be in the female dorm this time. I have all the letters I need."

Cathy had already told her that Finlay had gone, she was now legally Florence O'Shaughnessy-McPherson, the adopted daughter of Cathy McPherson.

"Are you happy as a girl?"

"Oh yes."

"What about you, Daisy?"

"I don't want to be a boy!"

Tammy laughed, "I didn't mean that, how about having a full-time sister?"

"I did already."

Tammy settled in the conservatory to speak with Cathy.

"Is everything settled?"

"With the children, yes, but Social Services were sniffing around looking for an excuse."

"For what reason?"

"I don't know, Mum submitted a massive complaint and they eventually backed off. The legal side was easy once they withdrew their objections."

"What about Florence?"

"If that's what she wants to do, they I'll support her. She knows that before long she can't go back, medically."

"That's a few months away still."

"Yes, Dr Adi said as much."

"I'm seeing her on Wednesday."

"So is that why you're here, to see the Doctor?"

"No, I needed to get away, it was becoming too intense in London."

"There was trouble at the Savoy on Tuesday, were you involved?"

"Yes."

"Oh."

"I'm not proud of what I did there, and it has had consequences. I'm just glad I decided to some here this weekend."

"Your timing was good, you know your mum's not sleeping well?"

"Yes."

"Take care of her, please."

"I'll try. How's Elsie's legacy?"

"It's taken months to sort that out, despite her careful planning. It only takes a few strokes of a pen to say she wants a trust fund established, but plenty of paperwork to actually carry out her wish!"

"I have a feeling that's how my future will be sorted out, with plenty of paperwork. I was expecting to see Helen here?"

"As you know, Mum did look after her but some of it won't be available for a few years. She's gone on another cruise but will be back before the end of September, she's doing a one year course at Thurso College."

"Oh, so I might see her?"

"Does that mean you are staying here?"

"I don't know, Cathy, I really don't know yet. I mean, it might happen."

Back in her room, Tammy phoned the salon to make an appointment, getting Wednesday at ten thirty, she didn't recognise the girl taking her appointment and had to repeat her name several times.

She showered then changed into a summer frock for her lunch appointment, arriving in town by half past twelve. She parked behind Sarah's shop.

"Tammy! You should have called!"

"Sorry, I wanted this to be a surprise visit."

"How long are you staying?"

"A few days."

"Until your birthday?"

"Yes, probably."

"You look well, have you been on a diet?"

"No, skipping lunch and stress has given me this figure!"

"Have you heard, Emily's pregnant!"

"You're going to be a Grandma?"

"You make it sound like I'm old!"

"Okay, details!"

"She's got her degree but met this lad in her final year, they settled down and she's seven months gone, she's not saying if she's expecting a boy or a girl though."

"I'm so pleased for her, send her my wishes."

"I will, what are you dressed up for?"

"Lunch."

"Ah, someone special?"

"No, a police officer!"

"Typical!"

Her lunch date was waiting, Frances welcomed Tammy and escorted her to the table at the back of the restaurant. Kevin rose to greet her, kissing Tammy lightly on the cheek.

"Well, hello again. It's been a while, Tammy?"

"Stourbridge, nearly eight months ago."

"Really, anyway it's over."

"Is it? Every time I think I've finished something, it comes back to bite me on the bum."

A barman approached with menus. "Would you like something to drink?"

Tammy took an orange juice, Kevin opted for a low alcohol beer.

"Look, Tammy, have you heard of Murphy's Law?"

"Yes, if something can go wrong then it will go wrong."

"That's just one, there's loads of them but the one that's most appropriate here is: 'For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism'."

"So, regardless what I do, I'll be criticised?"

"Effectively, yes."

"So I'll never get anything right?"

"No, no, it doesn't mean that. Think about it, how many people who question your judgement have ever been in a live fire situation?"

"None."

"So they don't have that experience to use. Perhaps they're frustrated law enforcement officers or maybe they're allowing a prejudice to come out as a professional opinion."

So, regardless how right I am, I'll always be wrong."

"With the back seat jockeys, yes. It's the same in the higher levels of the Police. But, I and your friends do appreciate what you do. Earlier this week you were faced with a seemingly random attack and you defended yourself. Those opinionated idiots would be in the morgue right now."

"Yeah."

"Then yesterday, I'm told you were instructed not to go in?"

"That's right, but the local officers hadn't arrived. I had two Specials with me and I had an opportunity. I'd say that it went rather well?"

"From my point of view, you took appropriate steps to protect the hostages."

"Thank you."

"Unfortunately, it's not my opinion that counts."

"That's why I'm thinking of leaving."

Tammy was aware that Frances was hovering nearby, waiting for their orders. Without looking at the menu Tammy ordered the Spanish Omelette, Kevin decided to have the same, with potato wedges.

"You're quitting?"

"I didn't say that, but unless I get support it's definitely an option."

"You can get out of field work and sit behind a desk?"

"Sure, and spend the next few years bored out of my skull, no thanks! I've done stints at various agencies and the novelty wears off quickly."

"What have you enjoyed?"

"Caithness Marine."

"That's closed."

"I know."

"So what will you do?"

"I really don't know, Kevin. I'm here until next weekend but I need to decide by then, I can't stand another round of shrinks telling me I was wrong."

"That goes with the job, I'm afraid."

A few more customers walked into the restaurant and took tables close to them so they stopped talking 'shop'. Their food took another five minutes but soon they were engrossed in their plates.

It wasn't long before Tammy was spotted but two gentlemen at the bar strongly suggested Tammy be allowed to finish her lunch in peace, they would get their chance when she was ready.

up
433 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

WooHoo!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

WooHoo! Martin Gore finally down!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Yes! But he is being held by...

Yes! But his prosecution is being handled by the Keystone judiciary. The police are fine and want to be rid of this royal PITA.

yay!

Maddy Bell's picture

New Tammy - something to cheer the day up with.

Tammy reminds me of a certain dormouse smuggler - short temper, quick to throw out the dummy - hopefully she'll come round now that Bond has died we need a new protector!

So when can we have more?


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

More?

shiraz's picture

Aftermath part 4 and an Epilogue are written and ready. Beyond that, anyone knows!

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

This was more.

WillowD's picture

I posted a comment that I had just finished an 8 day marathon reading all of Shiraz's stories and within an hour she posted this one. But now that I've read it (and thoroughly enjoyed it)... So when can we have more? Snerk.

Seriously, I'm glad to see that Tammy is having some second thoughts and is giving some serious consideration to what she actually wants to do in her life. She does extraordinary work that benefits many people, but it can have serious consequences to her life and what she can and cannot do. Some of you may remember another extraordinary spy by the name of James Bond. Outside of being fond of his housekeeper and Miss Moneypenny the only time he let someone into his life was the time he got married. That was just before his wife was murdered. Being a super spy can be a very lonely life.

Death by cop

Unless that was gore's goal his actions make no sense. He has hostages but runs out the door? he wants Tammy but can't wait. And pounding on the door in a hostage situation? This chapter doesn't seem like it's up to the author's normal standard. Unless it really isn't Gore at all.

Commentator
Visit my Caption Blog: Dawn's Girly Site

Visit my Amazon Page: D R Jehs

Perhaps a slight change in genre?

Perhaps she should move into terrorist and drug interdiction work? I've seen so many shrinks that they are no longer amusing to me. She's supposed to be an investigator and malcontents keep trying her on.

Another approach would be to write about WWII coastal security or even combat?

A

*

She will go to the States. Not nearly as many gun nuts there.

T

Tammy wants out, yet she is

Tammy wants out, yet she is seen by those who count as having her head on straight. Wonder if a certain American woman just might not pop back into her life and offer Tammy a new way of life on a certain island with a certain group of women and men, many of the women having the same type of beginning as she had?

The Two Cops

joannebarbarella's picture

The twins were quick off the mark and very likely saved Gore's life as he certainly would not have survived a close encounter with Two-Gun Tammy.

Kevin is right that there are armchair warriors in every profession. I really hope you won't allow Tammy to let them get under her skin and retire her from our fiction enjoyment.

Guns are useful tools too

Not being a Brit, and having come from Texas, I can't relate to all of the fuss on Tammy packing heat. Seems everyone is afraid of guns. Phooey! Terrorist are attacking policemen with hammers and knives and cars and trucks. I live in a state where they want to take away my guns and my right to defend my home and family, but if they go too far, I'm moving.

So here's a trained operative that has been in life and death situations and they want her to stand down! Now way! Sorry, got carried away there with the other stuff. Tammy is in a double bind. People want her dead and others just want her to go away. Good luck with that! Can't wait to read who going to get their ass kicked next.

Santacruzman

Gore gets his

Jamie Lee's picture

Martin didn't realize the bull he was facing when he took Tammy's parents hostage. Nor did he count on the two bulls he did face when trying to flee. Right place, right time again.

Kevin may be right in that desk jockeys will always claim she was wrong for her active actions to save herself or others, and they don't care it bothers her, but some very good people are about to lose another very good person unless something isn't done to change circumstances.

Joan will never be happy unless Tammy lives at home and travels to and from some office job. Joan needs counseling, urgently. Someone needs to find out why Joan has such overwhelming concern for Tammy. Any job Tammy would take has risks, that's life. Even driving to and from an office is hazardous because of the risk of an auto accident.

Joan is putting pressure on Tammy. The agency is putting pressure on Tammy. Suzie puts pressure on Tammy. People coming after her put pressure on her. And Richard in his own way is putting pressure on her.

Who is she suppose to satisfy? Joan and Richard, Suzie or one of the other girls, the agency, or just put up her hands next time and let herself be shot? No one has once thought about what Tammy wants, her aims or dreams. She has always wanted to get on with her business studies but those have always been interrupted. Everyone needs to back off and let Tammy decide what she wants without any intervention by anyone. She may walk away from everyone should she not given time to sort through things, parents included. People will not like her next decision but they have to respect it.

Others have feelings too.