Masks 21: Part 11

Printer-friendly version

Part Eleven

Blue Impact ran into the equipment chamber just as Energia finished cooling the thermite charges below the combustion point. There was some damage, but she thought that most of the equipment would be fit for study. The place was half full of smoke and completely full of odd odors, but an air current from somewhere was already moving all that out.

"Hopefully there's enough left to tell us how to reverse the effects on Stone's test subjects," said Energia.

"Did you see Stone?"

"The only person here ran down that way!"

"You take lead, plasma wall up, with me right behind."

Energia nodded, dropped a bit, and flew into the tunnel. Sircada ran into the chamber just as she left.

"This way!" Blue Impact yelled to him, as she chased after her younger teammate. "Stay sharp. We really need to be on our game for this guy."

Energia saw a running figure in the dim illumination, far ahead. She shot him with a bit of high voltage, not much more than a bad static shock; a stinging jolt, just to see how susceptible he was. The man staggered, reached into his jacket and hurled something at her.

Energia shoved her plasma wall ahead of her, reshaping it to completely block the tunnel. There was a shattering explosion which knocked down the plasma wall and left Energia a bit stunned. It also left her feeling glad she was wearing com ear buds, which doubled as hearing protection. The strange man was down, largely because most of the blast had reflected off the plasma wall and was channeled down the tunnel at him. It must have been a bit like being in a canon as it was fired. Before Energia could resume the chase or even get her plasma wall back up, however, Blue Impact ran past her.

By the numbers, having already been shocked with electricity and blasted by his own explosive, Stone should have succumbed to Blue Impact quickly. In fact, he unexpectedly parried her leaping punch and slammed her into the ground. He glanced quickly around, saw Energia already raising her hands for another ranged attack, and abandoned Blue Impact. Instead, he resumed his escape along the increasingly rough and irregular tunnel.

Great, thought Energia, as she quickly moved to check her leader. Guy would be competent.

"I'll get him," said Sircada, running past.

"Be careful!" Blue Impact called after him, getting back to her feet with Energia's help.

* * *

Vic and Posey entered the equipment chamber at a run, just in time to see Salamander go out the other tunnel. They heard a distant, echoing bang from down that way, but Salamander barely paused, so hopefully the situation wasn't too dire.

By now so much of the smoke was gone that what was left was barely noticeable. Vic slid to a barefooted stop while Posey kept going, after her teammate. She had not had much chance to examine the place during her brief interlude there before, but Vic did remember seeing what looked like five trash bins along one wall. As Posey continued through the chamber and out via the other tunnel, Vic instead hurried to the bins. She figured there were more than enough people already chasing Stone, and hoped to find something to wear which wouldn't get her arrested for indecent exposure! The leftmost two bins were indeed full of just regular trash. Well, regular trash for a mastermind working on a mad invention. However, the next three had...

"Clothes!" shouted Vic, in triumph.

There were far more clothes than just hers in the bins. Which reminded Vic of the other prisoners. She'd heard breathing and an occasional moan or stirring from them, but otherwise nothing. As Vic quickly dug through the bins she debated going back and freeing them, but decided that was a job for professionals. First, secure the area; then call 911.

She found panties she thought were hers, and her jeans, but not her bra or one even close. She did find her t-shirt, thanks to the logos on the front and back. No shoes or socks. With the sigh of someone much put upon, Vic took a quick look around, confirmed she was alone, and stripped off the tattered remains of the paper exam gown. Panties, jeans and t-shirt would have to do.

Naturally, that was when Gadgetive and Isarda ran in.

"That way!" Vic yelled, desperately pointing down the other tunnel. At least they're both females.

They gave the naked Vic incredulous looks, then refocused on the chase. Vic quickly got dressed and joined them.

"I hate having breasts," she muttered, running down the tunnel as she tugged the t-shirt into place. "Boobs bouncing, nipples noticeable..."

She ran out of alliterations well before she got to the fight. Mainly because she could hear that it was still going on, and shut up the better to listen. She quickly noted that her side was not doing well.

* * *

As she approached the rear of the crowded melee, Vic slowed to evaluate the situation. As usual with super fights, figuring out how things had reached the current configuration was not really possible without knowing the preceding events.

Posey had managed - somehow - to get from near the back of the group fighting Stone to the big man's far side, blocking him from continuing. Unfortunately, that meant he was now fighting much harder, rather than mainly trying to escape.

Stone kept switching his attentions back and forth between Posey - who appeared to have expanded her force field to thoroughly plug the small tunnel; fortunately for her she was on the other side - and whoever was currently at the front of the pack attacking him. He had obviously used several devices against the heroes, some of them pyrotechnic from the sulfurous odors in the cramped volume. Now he was down to fists, feet and teeth. His expensive-looking three-piece suit was already in tatters.

Vic stopped a bit back from the action, watching. Most ranged powers couldn't be used in these cramped quarters due to the risk of directly hitting an ally and roasting everyone due to the tight quarters. Blue Impact got knocked down again, and Isarda jumped over her, only to get punched out of the air. Sircada tried to squeeze past on her right, but tripped over Blue Impact's legs. Vic winced as Stone caught him squarely on the chin with a heel-palm strike. Gadgetive had to settle for dragging the injured back out of the way. Energia kept dithering back and forth, but not only couldn't use her offensive powers, she didn't really have any room to maneuver with her flight. Salamander just stood at the rear, scowling and looking for an opening.

The martial artist - who definitely had a vested interest in seeing Stone get a desperately deserved beatdown - grew increasingly aggravated. They were going after Stone with muscle and skill, and he was beating them with incredible skill backed by muscle. Finally, she saw an opening.

"Everybody freeze!" Vic yelled, as she surged forward.

She charged a short distance and jumped. Vic first leapt up and to the right, bending well forward to keep clear of the roof of the tunnel. She kicked off from the wall above Energia's head, kicked off from the left wall a bit further along the tunnel, then hit Stone squarely in the forehead with a flying side kick as he turned to intercept her. They both dropped. Vic didn't bother trying to stand, but immediately got Stone in a combined laying joint lock, air choke and blood choke. The latter two being applied by her left leg - held tight by her right calf - as she got his right arm in a hard lock, using both her arms.

"Uh, he's not moving," said Sircada, after a few moments.

"He's not breathing, either," said Posey, after a few more moments.

Blue Impact moved forward and pinched Stone's right ear lobe.

"Well, he could be acting, but I think he's out."

With a growl, Vic deftly flipped him over and got him in an over and under double half Nelson. She put her entire weight on his back, her entire body into the pin.

"Go ahead," she snarled, in his ear. "Just try to get loose. Just a twitch. I dare you."

Deliberately or due to an inability to comply, he didn't.

* * *

"I really need something to eat," said Vic, in a strained tone, after Blue Impact, Isarda and Sircada had all applied their super-rated restraints to the still unconscious Stone.

"We have some emergency food and drink in the flyer," said Blue Impact. "C'mon; let's get him back to that chamber so we have room to work. Then we can show you the way to the flyer."

"We also really need to get paramedics in here to treat the other captives," said Vic.

"Other captives?" said Sircada, startled.

"Oh, there's a whole room of them," said Posey. "In cages. Didn't have time to tell you before."

They dumped Stone unceremoniously on the floor of the equipment chamber. Vic noted that all of them except Posey, Gadgetive and Energia had damage to their costumes, as well as an assortment of injuries. Fortunately, none seemed serious.

"Prisoners are this way," said Posey, leading Salamander and Isarda into the tunnel.

"Oh, wait!" Vic called out. She briefly rummaged through Stone's pockets and pulled out the remote and keys. The device looked a bit battered but she thought that was all cosmetic. "This turns off the charge on the cage bars. The keys work the locks."

Vic winced as she realized that last was obvious. Salamander took the device and nodded his thanks.

"Okay, Gadgetive and Energia, get Vic to the flyer and call 911," said Blue Impact.

"Roger," said Energia, lifting off and flying down the tunnel. Slowly enough the other two could keep up.

* * *

"You really shouldn't fight without a bra," said a smirking Gadgetive, later, in the flyer, while Vic took the edge off her hunger.

"Yeah, well, I didn't have much choice."

"Don't talk with your mouth full. Anyway, I'm not sure, but I think I saw Stone cop a feel while you were wrestling with him."

"I will end you," said Vic, with deceptive mildness.

First responders were on the way, and most of the heroes were busy working to make access to the cavern with the cages easier. Gadgetive was supposed to be waiting in the parking lot to show the paramedics and police they way. However, she and Vic were both currently watching the martial artist eat and drink. They'd have plenty of sound and sight notifications of arriving vehicles.

"Whew!" Vic said, finally. "Thanks. I don't suppose you also keep spare bras in this thing?"

"There are some spare clothes," said Gadgetive, frowning in thought, "both civilian and costume. We haven't accessed those in a while so I'm not sure about what's there in any detail."

"Show me, please."

They barely had time for that before they heard sirens approaching. Gadgetive went outside while Vic closed the rear hatch and began searching for something to wear.

Several emergency vehicles arrived before she reopened the rear hatch. Vic was glad Gadgetive had turned off the flyer's stealth function as soon as they were inside; parking was getting tight and someone might have tried to put a fire truck on the helipad if they hadn't been able to see the pod. Vic wasn't certain what use a fire fighting crew would be. Then she realized that if nothing else they could put a ladder down the hole Energia had melted. As it turned out, they were vital in helping the police and paramedics get Stone and his other victims out of the cave quickly and safely and then to the parking lot.

More and more emergency vehicles arrived, some from agencies of rival governments. As she walked towards the impromptu focus of activity, Vic saw Blue Impact, Sircada and Isarda escorting Stone to a just-arrived state police van equipped for handling supers. However...

"Will a neutralizer have any effect on him?" she asked, as she hurried over to join them.

"Ah," said Stone, still a bit groggy. In fact, Vic could still see the mark the knife-edge of her foot had made on his forehead. Which reminded her that she was still barefoot. "The mighty maid arrives. I acknowledge your victory."

He laughed.

"Perhaps I was right to put you in chains for your scan, in spite of my statement that I could handle you without them! You are a remarkable specimen!"

He was still laughing as they put him in the van.

"What is it with old guys lusting after my genes?!" snapped Vic.

"To answer your previous question," said Blue Impact, as the state trooper super control team secured Stone inside the van, "probably not. These people know how to control supers without needing to use those, though."

"Okay. Just FYI, I found a sports bra among the clothes stashed in the flyer. It's a little tight, but it will do for now."

"Probably one of mine," said Blue Impact, grinning. "Don't stretch it all out of shape!"

"Yes, Mother... It's a little snug around the chest but there's room in the bust."

"Oh, look," said Sircada, sourly, pointing to a TV news van. "More guests!"

"Great. It's that crew which used to follow me around town," said Blue Impact. She gave an exaggerated sigh and shook her head. "How did they get so far out of town so quickly?"

She turned and left before they could see her. Sircada sighed as well, put on his "stern, professional super" face and went to talk with them. Vic decided to join Blue Impact.

* * *

Fortunately, the procession of victims being carried to the ambulances - Energia had widened and cooled her shaft while they were waiting for the first responders to arrive, even adding a bit of slope in the process - was what first caught the attention of the TV crew. Once those victims were safely on their way to three different local hospitals, the TV van crew focused on The FX. Which suited Tricorne and Vic just fine.

"I really hope none of them mentions that I was held in a cage and what I was wearing."

"I doubt any of them would mention that, Vic," said Blue impact, trying to be reassuring. "Actually, from what I heard Posey is the only one who saw you in the exam gown."

"Posey might actually say something about that," said Gadgetive, grinning, "except I think she's too busy telling all and sundry about how she beat Stone and saved the rest of us. I think Isarda will keep quiet about seeing you naked. Though I might be persuaded to talk."

"Wait, what?" said Energia. "Why was Vic in an exam gown? And naked?"

"That's right," said Blue Impact, nodding. "You haven't been in the prisoner room, yet, and by the time the other victims were brought out they were on stretchers and covered with blankets."

The quartet spent the time before The FX was finally done with the TV news crew catching each other up.

up
84 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Somehow, they were called the

Somehow, they were called the TX at the end (Which will be confusing for anyone reading the story after it's corrected, but oh well). Looks like Stone is at least a low level physical super, as well as a mastermind. Not because of the skill and strength, but being able to resist being a crispy critter. Skill and strength, after centuries of manual labor, is sort of a given. (Yes, manual labor. You had very few fat people, even nobility, even in Feudal societies. Stone would be too paranoid to allow too many people to perform basic tasks for survival for him.)

So, I wonder if the alien devices are in the tower, or were in his pocket and are now lightly toasted?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

TX vs. FX. Argh...

Stickmaker's picture

TX vs. FX. Argh...

Well, I use the same finger to type both.

Corrected.

Just passing through...

Well, when they're on TV,

Well, when they're on TV, they TX, and when they're fighting, it's FX. If they're fighting with colour, it's Special FX.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

good work

for the moment, he's out of commission ..

DogSig.png

Masks

He'll be calm and quiet and lawyers will arrive for him I'm sure. Or his henchpeople. Good rescue I hope he doesn't get too fixated on Vic now. This is a Great series please keep it going. It's been a long time since we heard from Template. Just saying ya know.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Template and Colossus have

Template and Colossus have their hands full with two children, who apparently inherited the power sharing gene (thus the 'change genders when Template/Colossus does'). It doesn't mean they'll develop full powers, just that they've got a bit of a family mimic thing going on.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I actually haven't decided

Stickmaker's picture

I actually haven't decided what powers the children of Randy and Karen will have.

Maybe I'll hold a contest? :-)

(Hiding, now.)

Just passing through...

*points up* - Never listed

*points up* - Never listed any powers. Just that they have the power sharing genes. I figure that it's a resonance effect. They both do it with Template/Randy because they're both his children, and the youngest with Karen because she's his and her child. I suspect it wouldn't work with another person with an active power effect, but might work with Jenny when she fires up an active effect.

They might never go active, unless someone fires up a polywell reactor next to them...


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Contingency plans

Jamie Lee's picture

Stone had a bolt hole planned and there's no reason to not believe he has a contingency plan in place just in case he was captured.

They may think he's out of circulation now, but maybe they should put too much stock in that thought.

Others have feelings too.

Anyone that lives -that- long

Anyone that lives -that- long probably has his main contingency plan being "outlive the bastards". He has time, after all. If you're 40,000 years old, what's another 80 years, where you can research, plan, and think?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.