Castle The Series - 0050 Erin, Eleanor, Elders

Printer-friendly version

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003290

CRAFTER AND KILLER

AFTERNOON ERIN (34) AND NIGHTJAR (43)

Word Usage Key is at the end. The brackets after a character eg CLAIRE (4nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.)

30th of Towin Day 3

Erin had spent all the previous day learning as much as she could of anything and everything. She had been giving particular attention to family arrangements. That a marriage was created by its members, she thought was enlightened, and though she only wished a husband she approven of the concept. She was surprised by the age differences of some of the couples she had come across. Age didn’t seem to matter to the Folk, and when she’d remarked on it she’d been telt(1) as long as there was no suggestion of vaucht(2) in a relationship the Folk considered the matter to be of none else’s concern. She thought deeply of what age of man would be her ideal, and she came to the conclusion ten years older than herself would give her the benefit of his experience in this different and harsh place, but at the same time enable her to feel they were just at different ends of the same generation, which whilst it wouldn’t matter to the Folk would make her feel easier.

She had noticed a lot of the meat served in the Refectory was game. She had spaken(3) to a kitchener(4) of that, and he had said, “Probably half of the meat we serve is providet(5) by the hunters rather than the animal husbanders, but the fishermen probably supply as much as either of them.” She had gone to bed thinking of her interview the following day and what she was going to say.

That afternoon, Erin was interviewed by Fern and Sorley with Will observing. Fern began by remarking, “You sayt(6) at your initial interview you have no particular skills or abilities, but you are willing to learn.”

“I did, but I forgot to tell you with a good bow, in flat calm, I can put ten arrows out of ten into a target the size of my hand from forty paces.”

Will motioned he would spaek,(7) and asked, “How is it you overlookt(8) so high a level of skill?”

Erin in no way disconcerted by the question replied, “Because where I come from it is not viewed as a skill. It is just a meaningless ability. I didn’t know it was any different here when I was first interviewed.”

Will grimaced almost in pain at that, and said, “I should like to see your claim justifyt,(9) but for the moment I shall accept it. Any with one tenth of your level of craft ability is a valuable resource to the Folk. Is it your will to be a hunter?”

Erin replied, “Yes. I have only ever shot at targets, but I am willing to shoot for meat. I shall have to be taught what to do with it, and I have never done any tracking or living outside in tents, but I am looking forward to it.”

Will telt her, “After this interview is over we’ll go to the butts where you can loose off some arrows, and then we shall find you a tracker partner who will be able to teach you what you need to know.”

Fern then asked her, “Have you considert(10) your requirements for a personal placement?”

It taekt(11) Erin a few moments to decipher that but she did and replied, “I have had two abusive partners, and Castle took me out of an intolerable situation. Despite that, I want a husband and I want to have children. I should like an experienced man of ten years older than myself. I should prefer a calm quiet man who would value me and care for me.”

Fern telt her, “That would be true of all of the Folk. We all value and have a care to us all, but I believe I understand what you mean. I suggest when Will takes you to the Huntsman’s Place he introduces you to Nightjar. He is a fourty-three(12) year old crossbow maker who has registert(13) with us seeking a wife. He loes(14) his wife to the fevers, and has two grown up children, but I know he wishes another family.”

Erin said, “Thank you.” Turning to Will she said, “I should like that.”

Will and Erin left for the butts where she tried a few bows, and telt him, “Those three are no good because they’re out of balance beyond adjustment, but this one I like. None of them has the power or speed I am used to, but I think that’s because of the elasticity in the strings. I am used to strings that don’t stretch at all. They require a stronger bow, but the faster flight gives a lower trajectory and a better hit rate. I am only used to target arrows, and these with the wide points, designed I believe to make the target bleed, will take a little time to become used to. I presume they are used from very close range since they will be disproportionately affected by air resistance and any wind?”

Will had been impressed with her skill, especially since she was using strange bows. He didn’t like to use any other than his own which were custom maekt,(15) for he was a left thrower(16) and right eyen.(17)

He laught and telt her, “They have to be uest(18) from very close range if you wish to hit aught for just those reasons.” He became thoughtful and continued, “If it is your will to be a craft hunter I shall be pleast(19) to accept you.”

Erin said, “Yes, I do. What of a tracker, a mentor?”

Will asked, “Would you prefer a man or a woman? None of my staff ever make the mistake of mixing craft with personal life, not even those who have agreement because it’s too dangerous. Your person will be perfectly safe with either. I guarantee it.”

“It doesn’t matter, Will. Those two abusive relationships I spoke of earlier, one of them, the worse of the two was with a woman.”

Will who was surprised, but not shocked, yet again reflected he was glad he came from Castle, not that other place. “I suggest we have spaech(20) with Gale. She’ll know who’s available.”

They went in to the building, and Will taekt her to a ground floor affairs chamber where Gale, his deputy, was aimlessly chasing bits of paper berount(21) a large desk. “You know Will, I can’t wait for you to retire then I can avoid record keeping altogether and delegate it to some other, just like you do.”

Will laught and said, “That’s how I know you’re not ready yet. If you were, you’d have findt(22) a way to delegate it already.”

They all laught, and Gale asked, “How can I help?”

Will explained, “Erin is a hunter. She’s skillt(23) with a bow, but requires a tracker. She has never uest a tent, and has only ever shot at targets, so she will need a mentor for the wider aspects of hunting.”

“Xera,” said Gale immediately, “Guelder has retiren,(24) his joint ail has finally stopt (25)him hunting, and he’s helping Linden with the administration now. Much to her relief since he nigh on knows what happens here before it happens.” Turning to Erin, she said, “Xera is fifty six. She has probably spent more than half her life in tents. She’s an excellent tracker, and she needs a hunter. She will be good at teaching you what ever you need to know.”

Will laught drily and said, “Just don’t do aught she can sing of, or you’ll be hearing of it forever. She crafts her own songs and sings them on Quarterdays and any other opportunity she can find, usually at Ivy’s in the stead of paying for what she drinks. She’s good, and when she creates a new song invariably it’s so popular the entire Folk is humming or singing it within a tenner.”

Gale looked at the pile of paper and said, “I’ll leave this and take you to find Xera.”

Will nodded and said, “Erin wishes an introduction to Nightjar with a view to seeing if they can reach agreement. Could you do that too because I need to return to the interviews?”

“I’ll do aught to avoid this,” replied Gale pointing to her desk.

They all laught again, and Will left after wishing Erin success in her meetings with Xera and Nightjar. They found Xera in the Huntsman’s Commons where Gale introduced the two and explained to Xera what Will had said. Xera was a small, heavily built, motherly looking woman. She was delighted to have a new partner and explained, “I shall enjoy helping you acquire all the other skills you need. It will provide me with a bit more interest on the trail. I’m spending a few days with my grandchildren at the moment. Would you mind if I contact you in four or five days to arrange our first trip out?”

Gale replied for Erin, “That will be excellent, Xera, because I am going to introduce Erin to Nightjar so they can see if they can reach agreement.”

Xera smiled and said to Erin, “I hope you do Erin, for he’s a good man, and he needs a woman to have a care to. I know he wishes family, so I shall hope for you to become pregnant betimes. I am sad to lose Guelder as my hunter, for we were pairt(26) many years, but truly he should have retiren two years since, for his joint ail paint him greatly. It givn(27) me great guilt knowing he perseveert(28) so as not to affect my crafting.”

Erin was unaware the remark concerning her pregnancy was a traditional thing to say to a new wife, but considered Xera to be a kindly older woman who assumed Erin like every other woman on Castle wished children. Taking Xera’s remark in the way she thought it was intended she said, “Thank you. I hope for children too.”

Gale and Erin left Xera, and Gale said, “That was lucky to find Xera so easily. If she’s spending time with her family she could have been any where. However, I’m sure we shall find Nightjar in his workshop.” They arrived at an area that smelt of wood shavings, glue and fire and entered a large workshop where at least a dozen folk were drinking leaf and gossiping. “Good to see the important things are happening. Are there two more in the pot, Jenna?” Jenna, a woman of forty wearing a smith’s heavy leather apron, reached for a pair of mugs, filled them, and offered them to Erin and Gale. “This is Erin. She’s joint us as a hunter, and she’ll be pairt with Xera,” Gale announced. Introductions were maekt, and Gale continued, “Any one seen Nightjar?”

“In his workshop,” several folk replied at once.

Gale said to the crafters, “I’ll be back in a minute. We need spaech with Nightjar.” Erin followed Gale out, both of them still carrying their mug of leaf, and they walked a short farth(29) to a small workshop. They entered, and Erin could see a slightly taller than average man with a powerful looking physique gluing two pieces of wood together.

The two women waited till he had clamped the pieces together to his satisfaction and he turned to face them saying, “How can I help you Gale and…?”

“Erin,” Erin supplied.

“and Erin,” he finished.

Gale replied, “It may be the other way berount Nightjar. This as you have hearet(30) is Erin. She’s newfolk and skillt with a bow, though inexperiencet,(31) and she’s joint us as a hunter to be pairt with Xera.”

Nightjar grinned and said, “So Guelder finally admittet(32) to his age did he?”

“Yes, and he’s helping Linden in administration now.”

“Good to know he’s still with us. It would have hurt him badly elsewise,(33) and he’s a good man,” said Nightjar.

Gale continued with the straight-forwardth(34) Erin knew was a Folk characteristic, “Erin is seeking a man, and she wishes children. I have bringen(35) her to meet you Nightjar, because you have registert you are seeking a wife and wish for children. I shall leave the two of you to see if you can reach agreement.”

Much to Erin’s surprise Gale turned to leave, but as she reached the door she turned back and said, “When you’ve finisht(36) with it, take the mug back to the main workshop will you, Erin, or I’ll be blaemt.”(37)

Nightjar who knew a little of the archives said, “Difficult isn’t it. Let’s spaek a little now, and if you will go to the dinner dance thiseve.(38) We can have further spaech then, when we both have become a little more uest to the idea.”

Erin who had been stuck for words said, “Yes, thank you for the invitation. You, I know, have grown up children. May I ask why you wish more?”

Nightjar taekt his time replying, “Children are our future, and we all need a future. I loes my wife, and I am the kind of man who needs a wife to have a care to. It gives me a reason to live. Most women, Folk women any hap, wish for children in the same way, but much more so. For a man of the Folk, a woman who doesn’t desire children is less than a woman. It’s the way we’re reart.(39) So if I wish for a woman I must also wish for children. My sorrow if that wasn’t clear. I know what I sayt maekt little sense. I will a wife and children. I just do.”

Erin, who had never heard a man spaek of wanting children with the implied love Nightjar was conveying, felt he was definitely potentially good husband material. She telt him, “I had two abusive relationships before. I have never felt valued nor cared for, and I need to be both valued and cared for. I am thirty-four, and I told the Master at arms staff I wish a husband ten years older than I because I think that way I gain the benefit of more experience than I have of Castle and the Folk, but we should be close enough in age for it not to bother me. Age differences are of more social significance where I come from than here.”

Nightjar telt her, “Let me tell you the things that are of significance to me for you to consider before we meet again thiseve. It is true we make little of age differences. I am fourty-three, nine years older than you. Your age is only of significance to me in that you can still have children. Gale sayt you are a skillt but inexperiencet crafter, and, despite experience or no, I respect all skills, for they take time and dedication to acquire. I don’t know what it is of you, your manner and your different way of spaech may hap, but I like you as a person. And last, but not of no importance, the idea of sharing a bed with you I find exciting. I haven’t enjoyt(40) a woman for a long time, may hap that’s why, but I suspect it is because I bethink me you are beautiful.”

Erin was gratified and a little embarrassed by Nightjar’s words, but realised he was just being honest in the way of the Folk. Her embarrassment notwithstanding she felt obliged to respond in a similar vein. “Women where I come from derive a lot of their status from their man. I can’t escape my upbringing, and the idea of being married to a mature Master craftsman with the status that goes with it here I find attractive. I have already told you how I feel regarding our ages. I too like you as a person, and your quiet and thoughtful way, that’s bethinktful(41) in Folk I believe, of trying to put things that are difficult for you to explain I like. I also like it that you are willing to laugh at yourself. You are a big and powerful looking man I find attractive, and I too find the idea of sharing a bed with you exciting. I have only shared a bed with two people before, one a man and the other a woman, and both derived pleasure from my pain both physical and mental. Should I ever be any where near that situation again I know I will kill before allowing it to continue. I shall kill either the abuser or if that’s not possible myself. I am not suggesting you are similar, but it is right you should know what is behind me, and how it makes me feel.”

Nightjar was appalled by her history, and without realising what he was doing he put his arms berount her and hugged her as though she were a child. He held her for several minutes, and she cried a little, not sobbed just cried a little, grateful to be held. Her tears were not tears of grief concerning the past. They were tears of joy for the future. In comforting her the way he had done, Nightjar had convinced her more than he could have done in any other way she would be happy with him. When she left him, after agreeing to his request to take her to the dance that eve, she was certain she wished him as a husband, and she was wondering where could she find a pair of shoes she could dance in, and a shawl to go with her frock which she knew she could adjust the lacing on to create a more attractive and inviting décolletage.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003300

PIPED GAS

AFTERNOON ELEANOR (32) AND WOAD (35)

30th of Towin Day 3

Woad was a highly intelligent man, and he was suspicious when Gosellyn asked him to see her. Gosellyn, as all knew, was the Mistress healer and was regarded as the best healer for generations when it came to issues of the mind. She was highly intelligent, and her understanding of the way folk thought, and how to help them was so good it was almost as if she could read their minds. She oft crafted with Campion of the Master at arms office who was reputed to be able to predict what folk would do and say next. He knew some folk referred to them as behaviourists. That the healers were worried for him he knew, but he had never been prepared to have spaech with them, or indeed any, of his feelings because that would have been a betrayal of Fuchsia. He and Fuchsia had loved each other since the age of six, they had agreement at ten, and had finally lived as agreäns(42) at the age of fourteen. Their love was a romance still spaken of and, much to his embarrassment, was the subject of several popular songs. They had never had any children, and had agreed to adopt as soon as children became available.

Then Fuchsia had contracted a wasting disease at the age of twenty-five and she had taken five years to die. Five years during which he had looked after her and watched her pain. She had known she was going to die, and they’d had spaech of his future. She knew he wished to die with her, but she had maekt him promise many times not to drink deadth,(43) but to keep on living. She had oft telt him it was to her regret she had no unmarried sisters to look after him, but she had maekt him promise to remarry, and if possible to have a family and name one of his daughters Fuchsia, and he had so promised with every intention of keeping his promise. She had decided when she’d had enough, and surrounded by her family and loved ones he had held the glass containing release for her as she drank it. He had mournt(44) her for five years, and had recently decided he was able to fulfil the second half of his promise. He knew the healers were worried for him because he simply refused to have spaech with any of aught other than his craft.

Gosellyn had said to him, without giving him time to say aught, “Woad, I respect your privacy and your loyalty to Fuchsia. I can also see the signs you are now ready to move on. I have a woman of the incomers who needs a man. She has been badly hurt, as badly as you. I shall say no more of that. It’s for you to discuss. I have managt(45) to persuade her to meet with you. It wasn’t easy. I wish you to agree to meet her. Shall you?”

Woad, who accepted Gosellyn’s intentions were of the best and she knew what she was doing, was grateful, and said “Gratitude, Gosellyn. Yes, I shall meet her. Who is she?”

“She’s Eleanor, and she would like a family. I shall arrange for you to meet at the Master at arms later this afternoon. A runner will tell you exactly when.”

“Gratitude, Mistress Gosellyn.”

Eleanor and Woad were introduced at the Master at arms office later in the afternoon, and Gosellyn had said in the presence of them both, “You have both been badly hurt. Take your time spaeking(46) with each other. There is no need to hurry. I suggest you have spaech of craft matters to start with. Go to the dinner dance thiseve and enjoy yourselfs.(47) Spaek of what interests you. I suggest neither of you spaek of your pain and hurt till you are comfortable to do so. If it takes a lune, or many lunes, then let it do so. Meet regularly, and be forgiving of unintendet(48) hurt. I wish you joy, and I hope you do reach agreement and have the family you both wish for, but as I sayt there is no reason to hurry. If you will to ease the pain of loenth(49) with each other at night, make sure if that’s all you wish you make it clear it is not a commitment to aught more. I apologise for spaeking to you as if you be children. I know you are not, but I don’t apologise for reminding you of what you may, in your pain, forget is proper adult behaviour. If either of you will to have spaech with me, or indeed any other, at any time, please do so.”

She smiled and left them to themselfs.(50) Both of them were embarrassed by what Gosellyn had said, but Woad started by saying, “I’ll respond, at least I am uest to the ways my own Folk. Soon I hope to be our Folk, whether we reach agreement or no, Eleanor.”

“All this is embarrassing,” Eleanor said. “I do want to marry again and have a family, but I shall need to be sure before I do. May we spaek of other things whilst we become acquainted as Gosellyn suggested?”

“Yes, it is embarrassing, and yes I should like to spaek of other things first.” They smiled at each other which they both regarded as a good sign, and Woad suggested they went to his craft place for some privacy. That he suggested a craft place, and not either of their chambers, maekt Eleanor appreciate his delicacy, and she agreed. On the way he explained, “I am a smith, but whilst I do undertake general work, I also make a lot of pipes for the plumbers. Most of the smiths don’t like the work, but I do, and it is rewarding in terms of the craft and the remuneration. At what do you craft?”

“My main work is of no relevance to Castle,” Eleanor explained, “and I am not sure what I wish to do. I am interested in all things that make life better for persons in ways that require minimum effort. I am especially interested in the creation of bio-gas from sewage and fermented vegetation, which can be used for heating and light.”

Woad asked her for more explanations which she willingly gave him. “That would require a lot of pipes, would it not?” he asked.

“Lots of pipes are required,” agreed Eleanor.

“Even if we don’t reach agreement, I will to hear a lot more of this. We could be a successful craft partnership you know,” he explained. By this time they had reached his forge, and he shewed Eleanor the special tools, jigs, dies and moulds he uest to make pipes and fittings. Eleanor was feeling more relaxed with Woad than she had felt with any for a long time. He was able both with his brain and hands. He could explain complicated matters readily, and he was interested in bio-gas, which almost everyone she had ever met regarded as a subject only fit for green-freaks. She was definitely interested in him, but as she realised she would need a lot more time. Woad, who was interested in Eleanor’s bio-gas, knew even if she slept with him that night, which he was sure he would accept if she offered, even though he didn’t really wish to, he would need to know her a lot better before reaching agreement. He asked her, “I know we are exploring the possibility of agreement, but that still makes me uneasy. May we spaek thiseve of your bio-gas? I shall enjoy the dinner with you and the dance, but if we could spaek of the bio-gas I shall enjoy the eve without any sense of pressure.”

Eleanor who felt exactly the same replied, “Yes, and that would make me feel easier, and enjoy the eve more too.” That was exactly what happened, and they parted after the dance with Woad inviting her back to his forge nextday(51) to discuss the pipes she would need for a bio-gas generation plant.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003310

I’LL TRY THE WHITE SWAN

MID-AFTERNOON ELDERS AND GRANDPARENTS

30th of Towin Day 3

Ymelda had all the first choices of the elders and older adults invited to the meeting that afternoon with runners available to ask any second choices should that be necessary. The two who she thought wouldn’t be readily available were both married, and one of each couple was available, so from her point of view things were at least starting successfully. The potential grandparents and the Folk who were seeking grandparents were introduced to each other in the Greathall where it was warm and food and drink from the Refectory was always available. It was also large enough to arrange for at least some privacy. Of the sixteen elder men and two slightly younger men David and Evan wished to wait awhile, at least till Quarterday was over. Merlin she knew had reached agreement with Pearl and Willow was assisting them.

By the end of an hour the fifteen remaining men, including Jasper who walked with a stick and couldn’t manage stairs, had all remained satisfied with their first choices, who were all even happier concerning events. Henry who had said he would like to marry as well as find a family had reached agreement with Lapwing who was the children’s granddam.(52) Euan, who had been adopted by Charm as grandfather to her three children, had admitted that music had been his life and he was missing his pipes badly. Charm had telt him she would introduce him to some of the luthiers to make him an instrument and that her ten year old daughter Laslette, who was a dedicated flute player, would be thrilled to have a granddad who could teach her to play a wind instrument not known to the Folk.

Rebecca hadn’t settled on a family, and said she would see what turned up. She never had been happy with the idea of finding a home from the files. Only Matilda of the four elder women and the eleven slightly younger women wished to wait till Quarterday, and Agnes had been offered a home by a clan she seemed happy to accept. By the end of an hour Deborah and Victoria had findt husbands rather than become grandmothers, and Riley had become a grandmother and reached agreement to marry Buckthorn, the children’s grandfa.(53) The ten other women like most of the men had remained satisfied with their choices, and as with the men, the families of their choice were delighted.

Looking over her list of what had happened Ymelda realised all except Matilda, Rebecca, David and Evan of the older incomers were settled in a placement, which she thought on day three after incursion was more than satisfactory. The twenty-eight newfolk and their new families left, all relieved to a greater or lesser extent a somewhat stressful experience had resulted in a successful outcome. Ymelda offered reassurance to Rebecca saying if necessary she could meet with all the folk the Master at arms office had on the files, but it would be a good idea to listen to the appearances on Quarterday. As Rebecca left it didn’t seem to Ymelda she was worried by the events of the last hour and a half. She hadn’t wished to meet her second choice and had remarked the White Swan was probably as good a place to look as any where, and she’d asked that the Master at arms office leave her to her own devices.

A short while later, Ymelda met with Willow who telt her of Merlin’s and Pearl’s arrangement with Perch and Rainbow. She also confirmed Agnes had now gone to live with her new family and was cheerful regarding the matter. Ymelda added this information to the records when she returned to the office.

Word Usage Key

1 Telt, told
2 Vaucht, usually implied as a result of a misuse of a large imbalance of social standing or maturity. Nearest English equivalent is coercion. Vɐχt
3 Spaken, spoken.
4 Kitchener, though part of the kitchen staff the kitcheners are a distinct craft comprising kitchen supervisors and their staff of servers, waiters, dish washers and storekeepers.
5 Providet, provided.
6 Sayt, sayd.
7 Spaek, speak.
8 Overlookt, overlooked.
9 Justifyt, justified.
10 Considert, considered.
11 Taekt, took.
12 Fourty-three, forty-three.
13 Registert, registered.
14 Loes, lost
15 Maekt, made.
16 Left thrower, left handed.
17 Right eyen, right eyed, one who aims using their right eye.
18 Uest, used.
19 Pleast, pleased.
20 Spaech, speech.
21 Berount, around.
22 Findt, found.
23 Skillt, skilled.
24 Retiren, retired.
25 Stopt, stopped.
26 Pairt,paired.
27 Givn, gave.
28 Perseveert, persevered.
29 Farth, farness, distance. Most usually used for separation of small distances.
30 Hearet, heard.
31 Inexperiencet, Inexperienced.
32 Admittet, admitted.
33 Elsewise, otherwise.
34 Straight-forwardth, straight-forwardness.
35 Bringen, brought.
36 Finisht, finished.
37 Blaemt, blamed.
38 Thiseve, this evening.
39 Reart, reared.
40 Enjoyt, enjoyed.
41 Bethinktful, thoughtful.
42 Agreän(s), spouse(s) the person(s) one has marital agreement with.
43 Deadth, death.
44 Mournt, mourned.
45 Managt, managed.
46 Spaeking, speaking.
47 Yourselfs, yourselves.
48 Unintendet,unintended.
49 Loenth, loneliness.
50 Themselfs, themselves.
51 Nextday, Tomorrow.
52 Granddam, specifically maternal grandmother.
53 Grandfa, specifically maternal grandfather.

up
31 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

They're Not Really Ten Years Apart...

I suspect Erin doesn't realize that someone age 43 in Castle years is 20 Earth years older than she is.

That said, I don't know how much difference that'll make to her, at least in the short run, since conditions are so different on Castle that shared experiences are probably almost equally minimal in either case. People from the same background on our planet who are 20 years apart would have read different books and watched different films (or reacted to them differently), have grown up with different technology and lived through different events, more so than those 10 years apart. But all of the incomers from Earth face that situation with the Folk, regardless of age.

I'm a little surprised, actually, that we haven't seen more than a couple of incomers -- even though fitting into a new society is clearly all-important here -- make plans to stay in social contact with other newbies. (Excepting the few who reject the Folk completely, and it seems clear that the authorities plan to kill them off fairly quickly.) It's early for such things, of course, and they don't know each other any more than they know the Folk. But as we've seen, incomers have insights into each other's behavior that only a few trained Folk can match, and often only after interviews.

I'd expect the new arrivals to turn to each other for conversation and to compare notes, so to speak, and once placed into Folk families, to want to stay in touch with each other. In an urban environment on Earth, groups, however much they want to assimilate, usually cluster in a neighborhood, a Little Italy or Chinatown, or in a cultural milieu like a Catholic or Jewish neighborhood. Part of that comes from being shunned by or forcibly separated from members of the established culture, but familiarity has a lot to do with it too.

It's hard for me to say, based on the story so far, whether the Folk leaders will actively try to prevent that from happening, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they feel that such behavior runs contrary to their intentions.

Eric

Incomers

Thank you for your comments, Eric. The incomers who stay at the Keep rather than going else where will not need to make efforts to keep in contact such is the nature of the way the Folk live. Most eat regularly at the Refectory and the population is small. You will see friendships develop between newfolk as well as between newfolk and the folkbirtht. The newfolk who wish to join Folk society suffer no shunning or such forcible separation as you mention.

Years ago I read that there is virtually no Jewish population in China despite a huge diaspora there a few centuries ago. They were accepted into mainstream society and in four generations there was nothing left of them to suggest they had ever been there, other than the odd person with unusual facial features or a non-traditional name. This was ascribed to no persecution of any sort at all.

The Folk authorities have no intent to kill those who reject them, they are mere waiting for them to kill themselfs by stupidity. The authorities have no intention to support those who reject them. If such is their view regarding the Folk they are not entitled to anything from the Folk, so they must leave and support themselves. They have been told that is death, but if that's what they wish so be it. All this becomes clearer as the tales of their deaths emerge. In a few postings hunters are ordered to track and execute a pair of rapists, but that is exceptional, and at the present time that is the only direct killing of newfolk by the folkbirtht in the entire work.

The Folk leaders have no intentions towards the newfolk concerning their forming friendships with each other, they are now Folk and as such free to order their own lives. I have never considered the Keep to be an urban environment, but perhaps the word fits. I'll think about it.

Day 3 ends with Ch 58 and Day 4 with Ch 70. I have prepared up to Ch 58 for posting and am converting Chs 59-70 at the moment. The reason I mention that is that characters are begining to appear for a second, third or moreth time. I just invented that word because it fit what was in my head. It's not Folk - yet! It could be moerth, that would do it. As characters reappear the story develops with far fewer characters and is easier to keep track of.

Thank you again.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen