Castle The Series - 0059 Lilac, Farsight, Rape, Janet

Printer-friendly version

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004010

NEW LIFE – NEW NAME

PRE-DAWN SECOND QUARTERDAY LILAC (15)

Word Usage Key is at the end. The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is a list of chapters and their significant characters at the bottom too.

1st of Chent Day 4

She had finally settled on Lilac. She had always hated the name her mother had given her. She hated it because she considered it skanky and because it was the only thing her mother had ever given to her besides birth. She had been thinking of new names since she arrived here. The flower names were elegant, and there had been a lilac at Joe’s. She hadn’t been able to sleep and after walking for twenty minutes, during which she’d been bidden a good forenoon by two pairs of night guardians, she’d found herself in the Refectory. It was a quarter over one, just before firstlight.(1) She found some warm leaf and was thinking back over the fifteen years of her life wondering what she was going to do with the rest of it.

She had never known her father, just the endless procession of men her mother slept with for the money to buy her next fix. She had spent her life avoiding those men. All of them would have far rather taken her than her slatternly mother. She’d had to take drastic action a number of times to defend herself from their attentions and, no shrinking violet, she’d done serious damage to some of them with her knife on more occasions than she could remember. She despised her mother, and she despised her mother’s boyfriends, as her mother euphemistically referred to them as. She’d known she wasn’t old enough to leave home. She’d have been far more vulnerable out there on her own than with the haphazard and dubious protection of her mother and her apartment, so she’d been biding her time awaiting the vicissitudes of circumstance to provide an appropriate opportunity.

Though barely educated in the formal way of things, she was intelligent and read all sorts of things, many unlikely reading for one of her age and background, for reading was an interesting way of passing time without exposing herself to the dangers of the streets. Off a philosophical turn and having a retentive memory for the unusual she’d come across something that struck her as an appropriate view for someone who wished to get on in life. The writer had written, ‘There is no such thing as luck. What people call luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity, and the more effort you put into preparation the luckier you become.’

One mart day, when she was thirteen she was prepared and opportunity presented itself thus she became lucky. She’d helped an old man with his shopping at the local retail outlet. He wasn’t remotely similar to any one she had ever met before, and she had been fascinated by him. They’d chatted in the queue on their way to pay. “What do you do?” she’d asked him.

“I make baskets, hurdles and other stuff,” he replied, indicating his walking stick.

“What’re hurdles?” she asked, thinking it was something to do with athletics.

“Movable fences for sheep, this big, you weave them the way you weave a basket from stuff this thick,” he’d said, indicating the size with his arms and stick and the thickness with his thumb. “I sell them at the farmer’s marts. That’s why I’m in town today. That, and the pension, keeps me going. Why? You interested?” She was, and she’d carried his shopping back to his truck for him. He’d put the bags in the back of the truck and asked, “You coming then?” She nodded and walked to the passenger door of his battered old truck.

She’d never thought for a second he was anything other than what he appeared to be: an honest, very old man who didn’t give a damn what any else thought or did. She’d spent the next two years with him, on his isolated holding five miles out of town where he coppiced his woodland and then sold what he made at the marts. After she’d been there a week, Joe had said, “I’m going in to the mart next week. I usually go every two weeks. You want to come too?” She hadn’t known what to reply. She’d far rather have remained invisible on his holding, but there were things she needed. Joe, who was obviously not as removed from reality as he sometimes appeared, said, “If there’re things you need, Girl, but you’d rather stay here, write a list for me to give to the chemist on my way in, and I’ll pick your stuff up on my way out.”

Grateful for his matter of fact perception, that was how they managed, and she’d never left the place. Joe bought her clothes the same way. She wrote down what she wanted, including sizes and colours, and he bought them off the mart stalls by handing over the list. As far as the truancy officers were concerned putting her back into school was now impossible as she had just disappeared without leaving any clues as to her possible location.

Old Joe had taught her everything he knew, and she’d been an apt pupil. She’d absorbed the crazy old man’s philosophy of the world because to her it was good. He’d no family, but he’d tell her often, not remembering he had already repeated to her many times, “Family’s best, they stick together.” This didn’t accord with her experience of her mother, but she’d come to love Joe as the grandfathers and father she had never known and understood what he was saying. “Look for a man,” he’d tell her. “Look close and hard. Most of them aren’t worth a damn. Find a good one, and don’t settle for anything less, no second bests. If he isn’t working and making good money walk away, Girl. You don’t need a pile of kids to rear with no money and just the memory of a waster. Find a good man, rear kids, be happy.” This was Joe’s mantra, and it became engraved on her mind.

She was devastated when she found him dead one afternoon lying besides a half finished hurdle. She buried him in his wood. She cried on and off for a week for Joe and for herself. She’d no idea what she was going to do next.

She went to bed crying one night and awoke shiveringly cold on Castle. She still had no idea of what she was going to do. She had listened carefully to everything she had been telt(2) of this place and thought there had to be a future for her here, and Joe had said, “Never settle for second best.” Joe had provided her with a craft, but she needed a family now, and she wished a man, a good man as Joe had telt her. Joe had said to have kids, so she wished those too. She looked at her chest, as yet barely different from that of a boy and smiled wryly to herself, that would have to be for the future.

There was always food left in the Refectory overnight, and she was looking for something to eat when she saw the roast left on a table a few strides away. She was slicing a second piece off with the carving knife left with it and was looking for bread, bannocks they called it here she recalled, when she was spun berount(3) by the shoulder to face a greasy looking man in his twenties.

“Well! Hello! Hello! You look like the very person I’ve been looking for,” he leered, as he pulled her towards him. She had seen him before and knew he too was an incomer. She also knew he was the kind of man she had been avoiding all of her life. She recognised the depravity in his eyes and could feel the hardth(4) of his longth(5) pressing gainst(6) her through their clothing. She could smell both his stale, rank sweat and his rancid breath. He disgusted her, and she didn’t hesitate, she didn’t even think. She’d uest(7) a knife to defend herself with before, and she was much stronger than she looked as a result of working with Joe. She brought the carving knife, still in her hand, up from beside her to behind his back and pulled it towards her with all the force she could manage. It was razor sharp, and it slid in surprisingly easily. She had hit no ribs as it went in, and none as it came out, and a good span came out towards her she clinically noticed. “Why you—” Why you what she was never to learn. She pushed him away from her in revulsion, and when he hit the floor the blade slid out of his chest an additional span.

As she clinically watched the twitches of the dead man gradually cease she thought, ‘They’re here too,’ and then she remembered, ‘No, that one came with me.’ Even more hungry than before, she found a bannock, ate her meat sandwich and drank some leaf whilst dispassionately considering the situation she was in. She had paid attention to what she had been telt of Castle and the Way and knew none would be bothered by the deadth(8) of a would be rapist. She also knew, though she wasn’t quite sure how she knew, she would be believed. She could hear the clatter of kitchen utensils, but she couldn’t see any working. She finished her leaf and rather than try to find a member of the kitchen staff, went looking for a night guardian.

Within a minute or so, she found two of them, a young man and a middle aegt(9) woman, patrolling the corridor outside and asked them to follow her. They did so without asking any questions. As the three of them entered the Refectory they saw the body, which was now surrounded by a pool of blood congealing at its edges. “That tried to take me,” she said in a toneless voice, “and I had to take steps to protect myself.”

The woman looked at her and asked, “Your are, Mistress…?”

For the first time ever, she declared, “My name is Lilac.”

The guardians were puzzled by the joy in her voice, but again the woman spake, “He won’t try that again will he, Mistress Lilac? I am Elyse and my companion is Boran.”

“We’ll have this mess cleant(10) up. Mistress Lilac, would you like escort somewhere?” Boran asked.

“No, thank you. I think I’ll go back to bed,” said Lilac, realising she would sleep now.

“On behalf of the huntsman’s staff I offer gratitude, Mistress,” Elyse telt her.

Surprised, but not much, Lilac said, “Thank you. I’ll go to bed now.”

She left, and Boran said, “He’s one of the reluctants Will sayt(11) would never become Folk. He’s not going be unhappy at this at all.” He looked at the body again and continued, “He’s at least twice her weighth,(12) how bethink you she managt(13) that, Elyse?”

“I don’t know, but I’m glad she doet,”(14) she replied. “Let’s have this removt(15) and cleant up before we’ve half the Keep in here for braekfast(16) falling over it.” With that they went out for some assistance.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004020

IT JUST HAPPENED

EARLY FORENOON FIREFLY (40) AND FARSIGHT (16)

1st of Chent Day 4

When they awoke the sun was streaming through the bedchamber casements. Farsight looked at Firefly with wonder in his eyes. She looked into his eyes and leant over to kiss him, her nipples tantalisingly brushing his chest. Farsight couldn’t help himself. He cupped one breast with his hand and stroked her cheek with the other. Firefly pressed her breast into his hand, and the kiss which started as a goodforenoon(17) kiss became a kiss of passion. Farsight was both enjoying the now and the memory of lasteve,(18) still a little unsure if it had really happened. It really had, and it happened again.

After both had recovered from their violent and almost debilitating expression of interest in each other, Firefly telt him, “You stay there, I’ll bring us some leaf and then we can have spaech.”(19) As she left the bedchamber, he was aroused again by the sight of her swaying naektth,(20) which was nowhere near as arousing as the view when she returned, gently bouncing as well as swaying, carrying a pair of delicate porcelain mugs with elegantly flared mouths saying, “I maekt(21) these.”

They drank their leaf without spaeking(22) for a few minutes before Firefly asked, “What are you going to do with yourself here on Castle, Farsight? Have you joint(23) a family?”

“No,” he replied, “I’ve apprenticed to Vinnek the wainwright, but I wanted more time to think before applying to be adopted into a family. Why?”

Firefly replied, “I am older than you, fourty,(24) but we make little of age in the Folk. I doetn’t(25) set out to have this happen. It just doet. I have no regrets and have enjoyt(26) every minute of it. May hap the wine helpt,(27) and then again may hap it maekt little difference. My husband dien(28) over ten years over, and for one reason or another, I have never managt to find a compatible man since. I have three children all older than you, but it would be flaught(29) to pretend this hasn’t happent,(30) and I haven’t feelt(31) like this with any since my man dien. Most marriages on Castle start out of mutual liking and respect, and love grows from that. What I am saying is, if you are agreeable, there is no need for this to end. I still wish a man and,” she said laughing, and putting one of his hands to her and one of hers to him, “you’re man enough for me. I like you, and given the opportunity I shall come to love you. I should like that opportunity.”

Farsight had been overwhelmed by his first adult encounter, and was worried his youth would eventually prove his undoing in a long term relationship with Firefly, or indeed any other. “I am so much younger than you that I am certain to make mistakes, serious mistakes—”

Firefly interrupted him, “I telt you the Folk make little of age. If we’ve agreement, we shall live with both your mistakes and mine. I also telt you, you have maekt me feel like I haven’t for years, and I don’t just mean being bedd.(32) I wish you for my man. If you don’t like me enough, or don’t wish me for your woman that’s different, and I shall respect it. I shan’t like it, but I shall respect it. Put age out of your head. I am still young enough to have children if you wish. I enjoyt carrying a babe under my heart and having one to my breast, and I should like to have a family again. I sayt that to reassure you, so you know I am still able to give you children,” she explained.

“I have never known a woman before, so I have nothing to compare what I feel with,” Farsight said. “I didn’t have a mother or any female relations, so I don’t even have anything to compare what I feel for you as a person with. Also, I have nothing and no one else to go to, and I should hate you to think I stayed because I had no choice rather than because I wanted to. This has been overwhelming. I like you a lot, but I have no experience of love in the way you mean, but I know I should be unable to remain with you for long without coming to love you, and I should like that. As for children, I am barely out of childhood myself, but because of my past I have many times wondered what kind of father I should be. It never occurred to me I shouldn’t eventually be a father. I just never thought of when it would happen, or whom I should have children with, but I always knew it would have to be with someone I loved.”

Firefly wanting to make absolutely sure of the situation asked, “Are you telling me you wish me for your wife and the mother of your children?”

“Yes, I am,” replied Farsight kissing her with more than a little passion.

“Let’s see if I can overwhelm you one more time before braekfast then, Husband.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004030

RAPE

EARLY FORENOON SECOND QUARTERDAY

1st of Chent Day 4

Thomas was not happy he had to deal with this thisday(33) of all days. All Quarterdays were public holidays, days for festivity and relaxation, but second Quarterday was the high point of the year with the annual competitions to participate in and watch, and the crafters’ stalls to stroll berount and view their produce, or even make a purchase, though this time because of the incursion aught could happen, as events had just proven. He was looking out of his affairs chamber casement into the early forenoon mist as the shine continued to remove the slowly vaporising rime of hoarfrost cloaking Castle. He had his back to Willow, a slender, blonde woman of twenty-two. She was his most recently recruited personal assistant, proud to have been chosen from a large selection and determined to prove herself. Thomas’ back to her maekt her nervous, but she knew after having read the healers’ report he was now listening attentively to her.

His home and private affairs chamber though on different floors were both in the same east tower of the Keep. They overlooked the now mostly struck and almost empty encampment of the incomers, who had, as mysteriously as ever, arrived four days since. Oft they became valuable Castle citizens. Occasionally they presented dangerous problems as now. His thoughts were disrupted as a tall, strikingly attractive woman in her late fifties came into the chamber carrying a large covered tray, which from the aroma, had braekfast on it. Anna his wife would normally at this time still be at home readying to go to her craft workshops. The incursion had meant a suspension of craft activities for many, including her, to ensure there were sufficient personnel available to manage the absorption of the incomers into the Folk, and she was temporarily working in her husband’s office. She was followed by a boy of eight carrying another tray with a pot of leaf and several mugs on it. As she cleared enough of her husband’s papers away so she could arrange braekfast on the table she said, “Take the tray off Tom before he spills the leaf will you, Dear.”

Thomas retrieved the tray off his grandson with a, “Gratitude, Tom.”

“There’s enough leaf for you too, Willow.” Anna left saying over her shoulder, “I shall be back in the late afternoon, Dear. I promisst(34) the children I should take them to the Gather after I finish here. We intend to visit the confectioners, and watch some of the competitions.”

Thomas smiled as she and Tom left. Tom aspired to be a member of a trebuchet(35) team and was a keen follower of the fortunes of the fourteen teams currently competing. Anna was a head taller than Thomas, and in his eyes as beautiful as when he first laid eyes on her forty-odd years over, when she had been fifteen. She’d arrived in the previous incursion of incomers, and he had fallen in love with her at first sight. It had taken him eleven lunes before she had taken his suit seriously enough to reach agreement. She maintained there had been two things in her life for which she was truly grateful: Thomas’ perseverance and her hobby on Earth which had given her a craft on Castle: candle making. She loved her husband and had given him three daughters and a son, and she was patience itself with both the heavy demands of his office and her numerous grandchildren. He didn’t know it, but she was his first line of defence gainst any who would abuse his good nature, for he was a much overworked man.

Thomas, a lean man in his middle sixties, was a cheerful man who smiled easily, but he wasn’t smiling now, as Willow noted whilst Thomas poured them both a mug of leaf. “Why was she there? I believt(36) she’d joint the Folk,” asked Thomas handing a mug to Willow.

“She had, but despite warnings gainst it, she went to try to persuade those nine pregnant, flaught young women Gosellyn has been having spaech with regards joining the Folk. She sayt she feelt she had to try. She went alone without telling any because she believt she’d be stopt(37) from going if it be known what she intendet.(38) She was seen by a pair of kitcheners(39) leaving the Refectory after an early braekfast before six. The guardians down there have a tent near to the women’s to keep them safe. Understandably some of the men wouldn’t be averse to a young pregnant wife, and with Gosellyn’s approval had been doing their best to explain their situation and reach agreement.

“Visibility was poor, and the two on night duty doetn’t notice her approach in the mist. As far as the guardians are aware, none of the incomers had ever been awake at that time before, but two of them grabt(40) her before she reacht(41) the women and repeatetly(42) raept(43) her till they could do no more. They left her for dead. She managt to crawl a little farth(44) before losing consciousth,(45) and was espyt(46) by the guardians at near seven. She was suffering from deepcaltth(47) to nigh deadth, and it was some time before the events became understandt(48) to the healers. I had the second nightdesk,(49) and I came to let you know as soon as I had the details. Bram has taken my place on duty.”

Thomas groaned. If he’d had those men killed at the beginning, as Will had wished and as in his heart of hearts he knew was the safe thing to have done, this wouldn’t have happened. He felt responsible, that he had acted from the best of motives maekt him feel no better. He resumed his questions, “The events were attestet,(50) you sayt. By whom?”

“The other three men. They sayt both rapists bragt(51) of it afterwards when they were drinking. We haven’t discovert(52) yet how they acquiert(53) the brandy. As far as we were aware none was taken to the camp. One of the rapists bragt she was the easiest woman he had ever taken.”

“Where are they now?”

“One of Irvine’s apprentices down there filling the water tank, on realising from their spaech what had happent, telt them they would surely die for it, and was telt they had to be catcht(54) first. Before the guardians could take them, they thiefen(55) food from the camp supply. Two horses from the stables of Geoffrey the waggoner that were in the herd grazing down there have disappeart.”(56)

Thomas thought awhile, and after expressing gratitude to Willow for the thoroughth(57) of her report, he asked her to have someone request the Huntsman to meet with him. Willow left him to his thoughts and his braekfast, and it was not long before Will came into his affairs chamber. Will was a skeletal looking man of a good six and a half feet tall, he was also a few lunes older than Thomas, but he could still out run and out shoot most of his trackers and hunters, many of who were less than half his age. There were few who could even pull the over a hundred weights draw(58) of the massive seven and a half foot limbs(59) of his longbows let alone hit aught with them.

“You look troubelt,(60) my friend,” Will greeted his friend of over sixty years with.

“That I am, Will, that I am.” Thomas poured Will a mug of leaf and explained the situation to him.

“Rape you say. There is no doubt of it?”

“Willow sayt not. She sayt the events were attestet, and the rapists bragt of it in drink. They have thiefen food and horses and goen.”(61)

“Willow is reliable, besides being my niece,” remarked Will inconsequentially as he considered the situation. “What of the woman? How is she? How is she naemt?(62) How old is she? How do the incomers regard these things?”

Thomas looked grave, “She is Lucinda and a young fiveteen(63) of their years, so no where near adult by our accounting nor by theirs. As to how they regard these things, Lucinda and the men are now here and all subject to the provisions and strictures of the Way. Lucinda is Folk and as such protectet(64) by the Way. She’s in shock. She was a maid,(65) and they were rough with her. Gosellyn says in her report she will heal, but she needs to be settelt(66) into a placement as soon as possible, preferably with women only, at least at first. She’s going to try her with Camomile and Meredith. All that can be done for her is being done, or will be done. The men are not Folk and thus can be trett(67) as any other dangerous predator.”

“What can I do for you, my friend?” asked Will, knowing the answer, but it was for the Master at arms to make the decree. His rôle was to ensure the decree was enactet.(68)

“I need a pair of beasts tracking and killing and two horses retrieving,” replied the Master at arms quietly.

“It shall be done as you decree, Thomas, but it is a grim way to begin Quarterday,” said the huntsman.

“Indeed, Will, it is. The thing I don’t understand of those three ruffians still at the camp is why they were prepaert(69) to attest to it, but maekt no move to stop it. Fear? Acceptance? Still, what ever the answer, we’ll deal with what ever comes, in what ever way we have to. Whom will you send?”

“I’ll leave the matter with Gimlet and Leech.”

Will, like both Thomas and Yew, was an able delegator, and Thomas knew the pair Will had named would take with them any others they needed, and organise all the supplies and materials they would in their opinion need, and they themselfs(70) would decide whether to go on foot or ride, and whether to take pack horses or no. Gimlet(71) was a twenty-three year old woman who’d acquired her name once she became a bowman because it was said her eyes were so sharp she could put an arrow in a mouse at a farth of forty strides. It wasn’t uncommon on Castle for names to evolve in this way, and many of the Folk uest several over their lifetimes. It wasn’t unknown for change of name to be announced at a Quarterday appearance, though the name any uest was considered to be personal choice rather than a legal matter. Leech was a tiny, stick-thin, fifty year old man of incredibly sensitive awaerth(72) of his environs. He had acquired his name as a result of his ability to follow a trail over any terrain and under any weather Castle could throw at him. He was married to Gale, Will’s deputy Master huntsman, had no children, yet he’d a reputation for being belovèd of children and having a fondth(73) for strong dark ale.

“I don’t know of your hunger, but after that I’m ready for braekfast. Join me?”

“Aye, that I shall,” replied the huntsman.

“By the bye,” asked Thomas, “How is Gale faring? Ready to allow you to retire and spend more time with the fish?”

“She’ll be ready in another year or so, and then I’ll stay on in an advisory capacity for a year. Whilst times I’m making another rod ready for the huge ones I intend to catch.” The huntsman’s obsession with fly fishing was known to all. “And yourself Thomas? What of your retirement?”

“Now the office is at full strongth(74) with Bram, Hornbeam and young Willow, who is remarkably good and will probably be Mistress at arms one day, I’m working Gareth as hard as I can, and he’ll be ready in a couple of years at most to take over, and then, like yourself, a year as advisor before I can go and leave it to him.”

“Now then. Now then indeed,” said Will, “may hap I’d better make another rod, so we can fish together and corroborate each other’s lies regarding the ones that escaept.”(75)

“Braekfast,” said Thomas pouring out a couple of mugs of leaf.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00004040

BRAEKFAST

JANET AND BLACKDYKE

1st of Chent Day 4

That forenoon Janet and Blackdyke watched each other dress, both of them taking pleasure in both watching each other, and being watched by each other. He was a huge man, she noted with pride, with bulging muscles and a barely discernible midriff. He noted her slender hips, tiny cotte,(76) flat stomach and almost non existent breasts, high on her ribs, that hadn’t succumbed to gravity at all. She yet had vibrant auburn hair with no trace of gray, had not put any weighth on over the years, and she looked girlish, nowhere near the sixty-three he knew she was. She had hardly any pubic hair, tiny nipples and areolae as though she had yet to complete puberty, yet her softth(77) was completely undeveloped like a young girl’s as though she had yet to embark on puberty.

Blackdyke coughed and said awkwardly, “Janet, Clover was right. You are beautiful, and if you chose to make more of yourself than you are,” he deliberately uest her own words from the night before, “only do so for yourself. It is not…,” he ran out of words and said simply, “I like what I’m looking at.”

Blackdyke put his hand to her softth and gently brought her to her peak whilst kissing her. “What about you, Blackdyke?” she asked taking a firmer grip on his hardth.(78)

“As you will, Janet, but it’s not necessary. I couldn’t help myself and doet it because you overwhelmt(79) me. In the throes of passion you are even more beautiful and desirable and I consider myself a lucky man.” Janet had thought she was happy before, but to be thought beautiful and desirable, when unclothed, in the eyes of her man maekt everything else irrelevant. She had tears in her eyes, and the couple hugged tightly and wordlessly as she explored Blackdyke. She was delighted to be able to do for Blackdyke what he had done for her and was looking forward to every aspect of being his wife. When they finally dresst,(80) which had taken longer than strictly necessary, Blackdyke shewed her the kitchen and was explaining what they usually ate in the forenoon when the children burst in on them. They prepared braekfast together with the children laying the table.

At braekfast she said to Vetch who was trying to cram a large piece of bannock into his mouth, “That’s not good manners, Vetch. Cut it in half instead of eating like a vulture.”

Vetch sighed with resignation, “Yes, Mum. What’s a vulture?”

The ‘Yes Mum’ maekt her eyes fill up, and it was some seconds before she replied, “A large bird with disgustingly poor table manners.” After braekfast they taekt(81) the children to the dwelling of Fleet, Blackdyke’s youngest child of his first marriage. Fleet was married to Chicory, the Mistress seamstress, and had six children. Blackdyke’s and Fleet’s children had arranged to have a reading lesson from Chicory before going to the Gather.

The boys were meeting with friends there, but Clover said she and Mangel would be spending the afternoon with two other couples of heartfriends.(82) Just before they left, Chicory, who was nearly fifteen years older than her husband, telt Janet with tears in her eyes, “We are both very happy for you and Dad, and it is clear the children are even happier to have you as a mum.”

The two women exchanged kisses and Janet said, “I did not have a good life before I came here, and I can not explain how happy I am to be accepted by my husband’s family.” They parted both feeling they had gained immeasurably from the marriage.

After they left the children, they went to the Seamstresses’ workshops so Blackdyke could shew Janet his personal workshop where he taekt her measurements, so he explained he could make her a full set of fur outer garments of the finest quality which she would need for the calter(83) weather. He would, he further explained, introduce her to all his older children as soon as possible. He telt her of his family and their agreäns(84) and children. Ford, the eldest at thirty-seven, was a Master hunter, Felicity, a year younger, was a Mistress healer, Mica, thirty-four, a Master forester, Michael at thirty-two a Master on the Master at arms general staff and Fleet whom she had already met was thirty and a Master lacer.

That Blackdyke was proud of all his children was clear. Janet thought if she forged relationships with the others similar to what she had established with Chicory and Fleet and their children she would be a very happy and lucky woman indeed. Over the next three days, she met all Blackdyke’s older children, and close and meaningful relationships were established with them and their families. After meeting them Janet knew she was not just a mum to the younger three, but the older five, as well as their agreäns, who had all referred to her as Mother Janet, were truly happy she had married their dad. Their children had been delighted to have a granny, and she had never considered her life could be so…, so full of love.

Word Usage Key

1 Firstlight, first light.
2 Telt, told.
3 Berount, around
4 Hardth, hardness.
5 Longth, length. In this context a Folk usage for penis.
6 Gainst, against.
7 Uest, used.
8 Deadth, death.
9 Aegt, aged.
10 Cleant, cleaned.
11 Sayt, said.
12 Weighth, weight.
13 Managt, managed.
14 Doet, did, pronounced dote.
15 Removt, removed.
16 Braekfast, breakfast.
17 Goodforenoon, good morning.
18 Lasteve, yesterday evening.
19 Spaech, speech.
20 Naektth, nakedness.
21 Maekt, made
22 Spaeking, speaking.
23 Joint, joined.
24 Fourty, forty.
25 Doetn’t, didn’t, pronounced, dough-ent.
26 Enjoyt, enjoyed.
27 Helpt, helped.
28 Dien, died.
29 Flaught, foolish, silly.
30 Happent, happened.
31 Feelt, felt.
32 Bedd, bedded, make love to.
33 Thisday, today.
34 Promisst, promissed.
35 Trebuchet, a type of catapult that uses a swinging arm to throw a projectile. A siege engine, some of tremendous power. See Warwolf trebuchet
36 Believt, believed.
37 Stopt, stopped.
38 Intendet, intended.
39 Kitchener, though part of the kitchen staff the kitcheners are a distinct craft comprising kitchen supervisors and their staff of servers, waiters, dish washers and storekeepers.
40 Grabt, grabbed.
41 Reacht, reached.
42 Repeatetly, repeatedly.
43 Raept, raped.
44 Farth, farness, distance.
45 Consciousth, consciousness.
46 Espyt, espied.
47 Deepcaltth, hypothermia.
48 Understandt, understood.
49 Second nightdesk, the second of the two night shifts which finishes at eight.
50 Attestet, attested.
51 Bragt, bragged.
52 Discovert, discovered.
53 Acquiert, acquired.
54 Catcht, caught.
55 Thiefen, thieved or stole.
56 Disappeart, disappeared.
57 Thoroughth, thoroughness.
58 Draw, the force required to pull a longbow string back to its release position.
59 Longth of the limbs of a longbow, refers to the length of the string between its points of attachment to the bow.
60 Troubelt, troubled.
61 Goen, gone.
62 Naemt, named.
63 Fiveteen, fifteen.
64 Protectet, protected.
65 A maid, a virgin.
66 Settelt, settled.
67 Trett, treated.
68 Prepaert, prepared.
69 Enactet, enacted.
70 Themselfs, themselves.
71 Gimlet, Castle term for an awl, a sharp fine pointed tool for piercing small holes, as in leather or wood.
72 Awaerth, awareness.
73 Fondth, fondness.
74 Strongth, strength.
75 Escaept, escaped.
76 Cotte, Folk word for a female bottom, male is cot. Both words are respectable and uest by all. Both derive from apricot which like buttocks have a defined cleft.
77 Softth, softness. In this context Folk usage for female genitalia.
78 Hardth, hardness. In this context Folk usage for an erection.
79 Overwhelmt, overwhelmed.
80 Dresst, dressed.
81 Taekt, took.
82 Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
83 Calter, colder.
84 Agreäns, spouse(s), the person(s) one has marital agreement with.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete,
7Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, Truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch

up
21 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos