Tammy:Moving On - Chapter 33 "Justice"

Printer-friendly version
Moving On  

Part
 
Thirty Three

 

"Justice"

 

For all of Tammy's adventures ---> Click Here

 
Tuesday 23rd May 2017
 

"Please come in, Miss Smart. Thank you for agreeing to see me at short notice."

Tammy had arrived at the University to find Ben Franklin in the seminar room, although there hadn't been a chance to speak to him. At morning break she'd been summonsed to see the Vice Chancellor; she went to query why she was there when he gestured to the chair.

"Firstly I'd like to offer an apology to you. It does indeed appear that you have been the victim in a campaign to remove you from the university and possibly damage you further."

"And yet you were prepared to be the one who wielded the knife, Vice Chancellor?"

"In line with policy, yes."

"A policy that declared me guilty, and where my initial arguments were dismissed despite evidence? Have you ever heard of the Magna Carta?"

"Indeed, although I hope you understand that I was simply following policy?"

"That defence hasn't been very successful elsewhere, and it would be my guess that the University's solicitors would have experienced losing badly in the Court of Session, very publicly."

"Yes, that was pointed out to me."

"Good, thank you. Now, is my place on the course secure?"

"It is, subject to successfully passing the end of year exams."

"Could I have that in writing?"

The VC handed Tammy a letter. "This confirms your continuation into the second year of the course, subject to your exams and accepts that the University will cover your reasonable legal costs."

"And?"

"Sorry, Miss Smart?"

"What about the tutor who lied to you and tried to stitch me up?"

"We have terminated his employment, Miss Smart."

Tammy smiled, having already guessed that was the case. "It must have been quite interesting to see armed police arrest him on Thursday?"

"It was not a good advertisement for the University."

"Very true, but thankfully one that shouldn't affect me. By the way, I see Mr Franklin is back?"

"I can't discuss staffing matters, sorry."

"Okay, how about a small offer for the trouble you caused me?"

"I'll need to discuss that with the board."

"I suggest you make the cheque payable to the Mill Theatre Trust and send it to Steven McIntosh, a worthy cause that could do with some support."

"That's a little presumptuous, Miss Smart?"

"But I suspect your legal team has already suggested a financial settlement?"

"I can't confirm or deny that."

"Fine, I'll speak to Steven in a day or so and let him know that a donation will be sent to the theatre by the end of the week. Meanwhile, is that all?"

"It is, thank you for being understanding Miss Smart."

"That's debatable, I've missed my coffee."

Tammy folded the letter into her bag and left the Vice Chancellor's office. She stopped by a loo before heading down the stairs back towards the coffee bar, taking the opportunity to reread the letter in case she'd just accepted a trap.

The queue had dissipated when she reached the kiosk so she was served quickly, she could see her group in the seating area but she didn't want to be subjected to twenty questions so took her coffee to the seminar room. She ignored the sign on the door.

Ben Franklin was reading some notes, but the room was otherwise empty.

"You shouldn't bring that in here, Tammy."

"Sorry Ben, but the VC demanded my presence and I needed this."

"Well, sit at the back and finish it quickly, so no-one notices? I trust you survived the VC?"

"Yes, but where did you go? I was told you were unwell but then you were away for nearly two weeks?"

"Lets just say that it wasn't a good place to work, and my association with you probably didn't help."

"Let me guess, the VC claimed everything was rosy?"

"Something like that."

"What prompted your return?"

"A problem was removed plus the union demanded a solution, I wasn't unwell but I was on gardening leave and not achieving very much."

"Okay, were you here on Thursday?"

"Yes, I had a meeting booked with the VC. I knew several of the team who detained Freddie, that no doubt pissed him!"

"To be honest Ben, I think he was targeted?"

"I wouldn't be so sure, Tammy, he had a few things to say about you but I couldn't defend you without breaking several laws or confidences."

"Understandable, Ben."

"You'd best take your seat."

"Sure, thanks."

The second half of the morning rolled on with an open floor revision session. Tammy had missed some information on the probation service and was grateful when that came up, but otherwise knew the topics that were raised.

"Your exams aren't far away. We'll hold two more of these sessions on Monday and Tuesday mornings next week, but please continue your revision at home. You can email me if you have an urgent question."

Ben looked around for any queries then dismissed the group, just before the lunchtime bell.

"Tammy? Are you going to your office or heading home?"

"My office."

"I'm almost done here, do you mind if I have a word with you, but not here?"

Tammy had dropped in the previous evening, but hadn't managed more than clearing the weekend's mail and throwing away the spoilt milk.

"I'll have to go to a store to get some milk, give me ten minutes."

"I just need to write some notes, so I'll be fifteen."

Once in her car she docked her phone then called her solicitor.

"And what can I do for you, Miss Smart?"

Tammy recounted the conversation with the VC.

"Ah, very interesting."

"I thought as much, I recorded it as well."

"Did you tell him?"

"Not this time, but I had told him before that I would delete any recordings that weren't needed."

"Fine. You mentioned a letter, can I have a copy?"

"Of course, once I've scanned it. Now, I understand Miss Masters has been in touch with you about military justice?"

"Only general advice, nothing to do with any case. I was glad to assist her."

"Naturally."

Tammy parked and walked around to the small grocery shop and picked up one pint of milk, that would last her several days and any more was a waste. She also stopped by the bakery and picked up a filled roll, Kira was behind the counter.

"I finished your portrait last week and delivered it to the school."

"Okay, but I still don't know why there's going to be a painting of me hanging in the school?"

"I'm just pleased they commissioned me. Looks like I'll have another one to do as well, the last headmaster."

"Doctor McIntosh."

"That's him, but nobody's given me a number for him."

"Hadn't you better wait until you have the job in writing?

"Yeah, but I'd like to start soon so it can be unveiled at the same time as yours?"

"Okay, but that's only a month away, I think. I don't know if Dr McIntosh is going to be away, but as far as I know there's no plays running at the theatre until the autumn now."

"Oh, I'd best phone the school and check?"

"Yes, do that."

By the time Tammy returned to the office Ben was already outside. "Come in."

She put the kettle on and opened the safe to retrieve a fresh packet of Hobnobs.

"I thought you had an assistant?"

"I've never mentioned her to you."

"I hear things."

"Well, I had an assistant, but she was chased out of town and I don't know whether to expect her back. Anyway, what do you need to say to me, that we couldn't have discussed at the university?"

"As soon as they realised I knew you, they wanted me out of the way. It seems that Templeton told Flint and the VC a few so-called truths about you."

"Yeah, Templeton. He had info about me before he started up here."

"Oh?"

"Sorry, Ben, you're weren't cleared for that."

"I can't do the intelligence game again. It was too much for me, Tammy, too much for Sandy. We both made bad choices and I lost my job because of it."

"I thought you were allowed to leave on medical grounds?"

"It's the same thing, really, just different semantics."

Tammy poured them both a tea.

"Regardless of all that, I'm honestly doing everything that the course requires. I want this qualification through the usual route by doing the work and earning it."

"I had no doubt, but it's a bit of an uphill struggle with the VC unfortunately."

Tammy pulled the letter from her bag. "I was handed this earlier."

"I see, did you put your tame solicitor onto him?"

"I did, it seems to have had the desired effect."

"Beware Tammy, it just means that you've been marked as a troublemaker."

"For what? Doing the work, behaving in class and defending myself against idiots."

"It's the last one that gets them."

"I hope there's no sexism at work here, Ben."

"You've been called rich little girl more than once, Tammy."

"I don't wave money around."

"Of course not, but all the students on that course know you have a plane."

"That's a moot point right now."

"Problem?"

"Yes. Look, sorry Ben, thanks for letting me know, but I need to get some work done. I haven't been here for nearly a week."

He'd barely sipped his tea and Tammy wasn't going to chase him out of the building, but it did limit what she could do. Of course, Tammy could multitask so she scanned the VC's letter as she connected her phone to download that morning's audio. By the time she'd written the accompanying email to Jeremiah Smith, it was a simple task to attach the two files. As soon as that was out of the way, she copied the whole lot to a folder in cloud storage, remembering that she really needed to backup the office data. Before that escaped her mind she pulled a blank DVD out of the desk drawer and initiated an incremental backup.

Tammy still had her lunch roll. but hadn't felt right eating in front of Ben. Fortunately he'd drained his mug of tea and was standing, ready to leave.

"Before I go, Tammy, can you answer a question for me?"

"I'll try."

"Are you still involved, in intelligence?"

"Ben, you know I can't answer that but right now what do you see?"

"You are a student and a businesswoman."

"In that case, correct."

He left and hadn't been gone a minute when the secure phone rang.

"Hello Marcus."

"Tammy, you can't trust him."

"How the hell?"

"No, your office isn't bugged, but you were seen entering the building with Mr Franklin and I understand he's just left."

"Well, he wanted to give me some background about the University and my course in particular."

"Was he after information?"

"No, he just didn't want to talk to me at the uni, and he didn't have another overt reason."

"Was your secure room door shut?"

"Yes, he saw nothing."

"Don't take this wrong Tammy, but I am concerned for you."

"Does that include paying for resources to keep tabs on me? Kyle's men?"

"There was a risk."

"Shame that didn't identify the threat against me when I was in the air last week, or who broke into Joey's place last Monday afternoon?"

"Have you heard from her?"

"Not since last week, I've disabled her access pass for the time being."

"A wise precaution. I have some news, Col Cooper has been remanded to the glasshouse."

"Colchester?"

"Yes, apparently more witnesses and alleged victims have come forward."

"So it'll be a military trial and not through the criminal courts?"

"Miss Cooper's allegations took place on Military premises, plus it's the same standard of justice. Believe me, it won't be fun for an officer of his standing in a Military Corrective Training Centre."

"What about the person who claimed I was a terrorist and tried to screw me last weekend?"

"We're having more luck there, it seems your Mr Flint gained a new contact two weeks ago and sent them your car numberplate last week. The phone's not registered, but we've placed it at Wick Airport last Thursday morning."

"So that's possibly the guy who followed me through the gate?"

"The usual gate man has reviewed the CCTV and everyone else that morning was known so it would seem that way. My guess is that he was going to scout the airport because, originally, you were flying the following morning."

"Maybe the phone call to the police might not have been their first plan?"

"Correct. The inquiry is opening up and I hear that Mr Flint has admitted to being inducted into True Freedom by Donald Templeton."

"You could have told me over the weekend that he'd been arrested, instead I found it in the Scotsman!"

"You didn't need any distractions."

"Strange how there's nothing in the press about my plane?"

"There was an exercise, Tammy, that's the official line. That means there's no story."

"So officially I wasn't screwed? Will everyone buy it?"

"They'll struggle to get anyone to confirm they were ever involved, especially the RAF and USAF."

"And if they check with TJ's at Prestwick?"

"The mechanics? They handle confidential work all the time and will sign NDAs if necessary, but I understand your fleet manager knows them?"

"True, Marcus, so they're unlikely to say anything."

"So all that's left is some shaky footage of a small civilian plane being intercepted in an exercise."

"Okay, okay, so that's why it wasn't in the paper. Now, what do you have planned for me?"

"I want you to start self defence classes."

"I did, two years ago in Thurso."

"Why did you stop?"

"I went with two friends Tanya and John, but she became pregnant and I ended up in London."

"You really need something more intensive, leave it with me. Do try to keep fit."

"I did okay last weekend."

"I know, but you have access to a pool so you should use it regularly, and get yourself some scuba gear so you can practise that."

"Will do."

Tammy finally ate her lunch. She checked her diary and made a call to the GP surgery.

"Hello it's Tammy Smart, can I renew my prescription?"

"The Doctor would like your blood pressure checked."

"Okay, when?"

"I have tomorrow at nine, with the nurse or would you like one later?"

"I'll take the first one."

Tammy had been too tired the previous evening to look at the waiting mail so had dropped it into her bag and it was now spread across her desk. There were two from the CAA, the first was the one her father had opened and was simply an advisory notice. The second wasn't so easily dealt with, Tammy's competency to fly was being questioned, on the basis of information received apparently.

She still needed to lodge a claim with her insurance but Jim had advised waiting for the plane to be shipped so they could take any necessary photos. She'd speak to Jim about the licence when she'd had a chance to re-read the letter and the supporting information.

The third looked like some kind of social missive. The sender was Imagine e Stile da Donna; Milano, Italia.

"Ladies' Image and Style. Milan, Italy." Tammy read aloud then opened it and pulled out a glossy card.

Welcome Miss Smart to I.S.D., a web-based service providing advice to women seeking the latest in personal styling for their Professional and Social image. Suggestions will be available via your profile and updated weekly. The latest clothing from Design-Houses as well as new designers and Jewellery suggestions for a budget-range you set. Hair and cosmetics specialists add suggested products, techniques and salons as available. Your Login is registered as TamJSmart1014 and you password is set as K05E30T17S. You may reset the password to your preference, but must contain 10 alpha-numeric characters. A five year membership is a gift from the Emerson Agency, please enjoy but best satisfaction is to be had away from the workplace!

Tammy wanted to laugh, Kerri had kept her word and set up a back-channel for her. A ping from her PC announced that the backup had finished so she retrieved the DVD and wrote the date on the label. That, along with the card, went into her bag. As a precaution she decided she would use the laptop via the satellite phone connection in her grab-bag under the guise of dropping off her disc. It would also make sure that laptop and phone still worked.

Ten minutes later she had driven to the back of the printshop and let herself into the store room. She opened the safe and retrieved what she needed then she set up the laptop and accessed the website, noting that the battery wouldn't last long but fortunately she found a power outlet even though that wasn't part of her rental agreement. Inside the brick and steel structure she couldn't get a signal so she opened the door a little.

There was an international number at the bottom of the page, which she wrote down then logged in. It took a few minutes to answer the questions regarding her physical statistics and preferred cosmetics. At the bottom of the profile page was another international phone number. However, this number was different. She recognized it to be in Geneva, Switzerland and there was an extension. That number was written down as well then she went to her consultant and advisor list. At the very top was the familiar icon for Kerri. The name was Emerson Limited. There were several others as well; professional shoppers, aestheticisms, hair stylists, manicurists and even models that she could message with. The list could be adjusted by city or country as needed. Tammy was listed under the professions Estate Realty/Finance/Executive Transport - Scotland, Thurso.

A message applet popped up from Emerson Limited.
Hey, Tammy-girl. After you log off the number at the bottom will change back to the Italian service. Enter the phone number shown now into the sat-phone's speed-dial. You will be able to use this service from any computer after today. The messenger feature will be encrypted for me. The phone number is for emergencies. All other contacts in the list are real people and what they say they are. I still advise not using your office computer or cellphone to contact me.

Tammy replied back.
Thanks Kerri! May I use my laptop at home and the University?

Home yes, but not the University. I hear that your plane should be at your hangar tomorrow, will call you about the parts later. Need yes/no about the Epic.

Yes on the Epic. I'm applying for advanced flight, night-time etc.

Kerri responded.
Confirmed. You'll be notified about the Epic, it's all clean and will have your modifications complete in 48 hours. You'll have to pay for the onboard internet via credit card, info in the paperwork packet. Gotta go now, have fun and study for that exam! K

Tammy made sure she had everything then shut down. The Geneva number was entered into the satellite phone's speed dial then shut off. Once secure, Tammy left to go home and hoped for a quiet evening of revision and a bath.

 
Wednesday 24th May 2017
 

Tammy's first stop was to her GP, although she didn't actually see Dr Sutherland so for once didn't get a medical telling off. Her blood pressure didn't seem to raise any concerns and she left with her prescription. She opted to fight the morning traffic and go straight to the pharmacy on Olrig Street, in order to save time later. Her phone rang as she was waiting for the clerk to make up her three month supply.

"Hi Jim."

"Your plane has just been delivered and the boys are unpacking it."

"That's good, is it worth me coming over?"

"No, leave it until the afternoon or best tomorrow. I've had a notification that the parts will be here Friday."

"Okay, thanks, I was expecting to hear about the parts today. Now, the CAA have queried what went on and they have threatened to pull my licence!"

"Don't worry, they just need a written report, these things get sent out automatically whenever there's an aircraft incident."

"Thanks. Can we look at an insurance claim?"

"When we've assessed the plane, yes, but if there's a hint of criminal damage then the insurance won't play, plus your insurance is for leisure flying only."

"Ah, so perhaps I need to change that?"

"It's not as simple as that."

"Of course not! Thanks Jim."

Tammy left the pharmacy a few minutes later with her contraceptives and drove around to the office, although she was only there for a few minutes before she was on the way to West Street with the keys to check on the refurbished premises.

The ground floor was setup as an office although it could operate as a retail unit with the appropriate fittings. To the rear was a kitchenette and a loo. A side door gave access to a stairwell and the two floor apartment above. The building's footprint wasn't huge so the living accommodation was split between a lounge and kitchen on the first floor with a bedroom and bathroom on the upper floor. The colour scheme was an off-cream throughout and the windows were dressed in blinds, so the place was ready to be let.

She was just about to leave when her phone rang, it was Joey.

"Hi Tammy, I'm sorry about having to get away like that."

"Are things easier for you now?"

"Yeah, I've been told that he's locked away. Apparently he had a few supporters who claimed I was making it up, but they've gone quiet."

"Okay, just so long as you're safe."

"I was just wondering .... what if I came back to work?"

"Did you want to?"

"Mum's closed down her business and I won't be needed by the military for months, so I'm bored."

"I could really do with a hand, Joey, I have my exams in a couple of weeks and I think I'll be occupied on and off through the summer. I was thinking of advertising."

"Tammy, please, don't get anyone else."

"Are you kidding, Joey? I hardly needed to train you before you were running my office."

"Yeah, it wasn't rocket science."

"Okay, when do you think you can be back here?"

"Hmmm, it's Wednesday so I can ask Mum to drive me down on Friday. I just need to find somewhere to stay."

"What about your flat?"

"I had it emptied and told the guy I wouldn't go back as I didn't feel safe. I guess the flat in West Street has already been let?"

"No, I'm there right now to check it over and it would suit a student. Do you know someone who would want it?"

"Yeah, me! My stuff's in storage so maybe we can move in over the weekend?"

"Come see me when you get into town, okay?"

"Thanks Tammy!"

Tammy suspected she'd end up letting the apartment under the market rate but she had already promised it to Joey. She next called her tame electrician and asked that he installed CCTV and an entry system as quickly as possible.

She took a few photos of the apartment, for the files, and then did the same for the office and back rooms.

Back at base Tammy loaded the office photos onto her website and advertised it as available. She created a second advert for the accommodation but marked that as let without adding any photos, that at least would provide some history for the property.

Recalling what Marcus had said to her, Tammy dug the number out for the martial art instructor she, Tanya and John had gone to.

"Hello Vance, it's Tammy Smart."

"Hello Miss Smart, what can I do for you?"

"Do you do an intensive self-defence course?"

"No, I only offer the Tuesday evening in Thurso. I'm in Inverness most of the week, could you get here?"

"It's a four hour round trip and I'm revising for exams as well as running a business."

"Indeed, exam season is affecting my numbers so that's why I'm probably ending the Thurso Tuesday sessions, it's also a four hour return for me and I can fit more classes in without leaving Inverness."

"That's a shame."

"It comes down to numbers, I can't justify coming over for five or six people."

"That's understandable. Oh well, I'll have to find another way."

"Maybe you could hire an instructor for a few days and get a group of girls together who want to do the same course?"

"Not a mixed group?"

"No, for intensive work it's best to concentrate on males or females but not both, the techniques are slightly different. If you like I'll email you some folk who would do it, but you'd have to find somewhere for them to stay!"

"Thanks, thanks for the help."

Tammy ready out a personal email address then wondered who might join her. Of course, self defence was probably not Marcus's intentions and Tammy wondered if he really meant unarmed combat? Regardless of that, he wouldn't send her into a fire-fight, would he? She'd had a few of those already and didn't relish another one.

She finally worked through the pile of mail and a ton of emails although that meant missing lunch. Nevertheless she treated herself to an early finish. Her phone rang as she sat in her car.

"Tammy, it's Steven McIntosh."

"Hello Sir."

"Please, drop the Sir, it's Steven. Anyway, I just had a letter delivered with a cheque for the theatre trust."

"Oh good."

"Well that confirms you knew about it? Your name wasn't on the covering note but the reference number had the letters TS in it."

"And you worked out that was me?"

"Just putting two and two together ...."

".... and getting five! How much was it for?"

"A thousand pounds, how did you manage it?"

"By threatening them with a day in court, and with Jeremiah by my side!"

"Oh dear, no wonder they backed down, is that what happened?"

"I couldn't possibly say, Steven."

"Of course you couldn't! Now, how did you fancy directing a play this autumn?"

"Shakespeare?"

"Not necessarily, perhaps something more modern?"

"Maybe, just maybe. A Comedy or a Tragedy?"

"Your choice."

"My life is a series of tragedies right now, so perhaps a comedy?"

"Any thoughts?"

"How about Loot, I remember reading it a few years back?"

"By Joe Orton, an interesting choice."

"Indeed, Steven, but is Thurso ready for it?"

"There's only one way to find out."
 
Oe_Orton_Loot_Lyric_Hammersmith_1992_programme_lo_res.jpg
 
Credit @ By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=26941982

up
417 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

kudo

Alecia Snowfall's picture

double checks for cabbits then bops the kudo button*

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

getting some back

she has gotten some of her opponents back a little. Nice

DogSig.png

Interesting show

I saw a production of Loot years ago, it was only at the interval that I realised that the set was in the shape of a coffin because instead of closing the tabs they closed the lid on the 'coffin'.

Do I Understand Correctly?

She's receiving a US $3M+ airplane from a covert branch of the US Government gratis to compensate her for the USAF screw up? She just has to take care of a few incidentals. I'm guessing the operation and maintenance costs on the Epic will be substantially more than her current aircraft. Of course, it will get her to wherever she's going a lot faster. Another downside being that it will attract much more attention. It will be interesting to see how her father and Jim react.

Thanks for sharing.

Yup. That is exactly what's

WillowD's picture

Yup. That is exactly what's happening. It's a branch that is so covert that they don't even get paid by the government, which means you can't find them by their financial trail. All of there funds comes from confiscating money and property from the bad guys. You can find out how Kerri and Tammy met in this story. There are many dozens of stories and a large number of novels by this point covering the stories of this covert branch. Enjoy. I did. It was reading this story that resulting in my discovering the Tammy stories.

https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/fiction/68471/chrysalis-proje...

Yes, I've Read the Series.......

.....but thank you. I just wanted to confirm my understanding that Tammy had actually said yes to an essentially free US $3M+ aircraft. It will be interesting to see how she explains it.

Tammy explains

shiraz's picture

 
A possible extract from chapter 34:

"That sounds great, Jim, but can we have a chat in the office?"
 
"Sure, Tammy. Is this about the CAA letter?"
 
"Not necessarily."

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Perhaps the end of Rat Basterds?

Life seems to be improving for Tammy. I hope that they find out who trashed her plane and put them in the "glass house" as you say.

After this business with them trashing Meghan and Harry, I am sorely disillusioned with life across the pond.

Gwen

I Was Only Following Orders

joannebarbarella's picture

Yes, that worked really well in the war-crimes trials at Nuremberg.

I'm so glad she picked the Epic....marvellous plane....and she can explain it as being compensation for irreparable damage done to her previous machine. Let's just say that the USAF didn't want any bad publicity due to excessively zealous actions by low-level personnel.

Good to see Joey back in action too.

Epic

No Gulfstream IV? It would allow a direct flight to Key West. Aww, shucks. :-)

Good chapter.

Calm before another storm?

Jamie Lee's picture

Every time Tammy comes back after a weekend rush training she has to play catch up with paperwork and emails. This time though, her flying baby had problems that will have to be fixed. And those who did the deed will never admit any responsibility. After all, it must have been vandals.

Just like before, run around taking care of all the pokers in the various fires, then bang, something happens and Tammy's tail is once again in the sling because she did what she was told by Marcus.

So, what shoe is about to drop that'll put Tammy on another hot seat?

Others have feelings too.