Holly Potter - Heiress of Slytherin Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version

Authors note: see Chapter 3 for the dream/nightmare in case you need a refresher.

_________________________________________

I shot up in bed in a cold sweat, not sure where I was. It took me a moment for recent events to come back to me. I had that nightmare again. But I remember so many details this time. The woman walking with me in the beginning of the dream, I can almost make out her face. She has violet eyes, and long black hair full of curls. And this time when I fell, it was a ginger woman with green eyes that bound me with rope. There was also at least one man there with the evil woman, helping to bind me, and they were talking to someone else. Why can't I remember more!?

Madam Pomfrey came in from a side room. Yawning, she asked "Everything alright, Miss Potter?"

"Yes ma'am, just a bad dream." I replied.

"I can give you a draught of dreamless sleep if you like."

"No thank you. I don't have the dream often, and it's become a bit of a puzzle for me to solve." I replied with a half smile.

"Alright. Back to sleep with you then."

"Yes ma'am." She waited until I laid back down before she went back to her room.

Morning came and Madam Pomfrey ran some more tests. She was still concerned about how and why the physical changes had occurred and then reverted, but without finding anything actually wrong, she declared me fit enough to leave. Classes had already started by the time I was released, and by the time I got changed flying class would already be ending, which is perfectly fine by me because I'm not a big fan of flying. Today however is another dueling club day, but that won't start till this evening. I headed down to the kitchens to get some food. They were hesitant at first, but after explaining I was in the hospital and missed breakfast they gave me a plate loaded with food, and since lunch would be starting soon they went ahead and gave me a plate for lunch as well. Then another elf decided that I needed dessert with each meal, and another one handed me two goblets of drink. So it was that I arrived at the door to the common room with my arms overflowing with food when all I really wanted was a snack to hold me over till lunch.

I ate my breakfast plate, set my lunch down and headed to the communal bath and set the heat to as high as it goes. Slipping into the water was heavenly. If there is one true simple pleasure in life, it is this right here, letting the heat melt away all the worries of the world and coming out of the water refreshed and renewed.

I must have lost track of time, as I heard Pansy say "There's our little troll slayer! How ya feeling?"

"I didn't kill it, and other than a little sore, I'm fine. How'd you hear about it?"

"Well for starters, the entire school has heard about it. But all of us heard it from Draco first. He wouldn't shut up about how you came running in and saved the day. I think he fancies you."

"Eww. I don't even want to think about that."

"I think he's cute. And his family is rich too."

"Well you can have him then."

"Gee thanks. And what about Miss Susan Bones? I think she fancies you too." She slid into the bath on the opposite side as me. "Damn you have it hot in here."

"It's not that hot. It feels good." I said

"I bet Susan would say it's hot in here."

"Oh come on. Honestly, I don't know how I feel about her."

"Just so you know, there are bets going on about how long it takes you two to figure things out."

"Really, is it so boring around here?"

"Yes."

I rolled my eyes. "So what's your wager on?"

"That would be cheating."

_________________________________________

I walked into the dueling club to receive cheers and applause and one red headed girl running up and hugging me. "I'm so glad you're safe. I was so worried."

"I'm fine Susan, just a little tired." I replied as I reciprocated the hug. The hug was nice. It made me think of my earlier conversation with Pansy, and it left me feeling more confused than I already was. Professor Flitwick cleared his throat which snapped me back from my thoughts. Susan and I released each other and I could see the blush in her cheeks, as well as feel the heat rising on mine.

"I spoke with Madam Pomfrey, she says you are supposed to be resting." 

"I'm a little tired professor, but other than that I'm fine."

"Be that as it may, I don't want you dueling today. Your body is still developing, and continually draining your magic can have disastrous effects."

"Yes professor." I said, the disappointment obvious in my voice.

"However, if you'd like to tell the story of last night you are more than welcome to. I'm sure we would all enjoy hearing it."

Of course I took hom up on his offer. Somehow I made a ten second fight take fifteen minutes to tell, but everyone seemed to be hanging on my every word.

I don't remember his name, but it was a sixth year Gryffindor who said, "There is no way you cast a Bombarda Maxima! That is so amazing".

"I'd show you, but I'm under doctors orders to take it easy." I stated overdramatically which got chuckles from most of the students.

The rest of the dueling club session I spent sitting next to Susan watching the duels. I could feel her closeness, less than a foot away. I put my hand on the bench and my pinky grazed hers. My heart was beating like a drum. She hooked my pinky with hers. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I looked at her to see that he was staring at me. I smiled as I slid over on the bench, and our hands fully interlocked. 

"Ahh to be young again." Professor Flitwick said quietly from behind us. Susan's hand tried to pull away, but I gripped it tight. She looked at me concerned, but I just smiled which made her smile and she relaxed.

"You might want to watch this next duel." which was between two seventh years. "Watch how they move. Dueling is a dance. A give and take. A new relationship, so to say. Sometimes you lead, sometimes your partner. But either way, you must always move and react. You are a powerful witch, Holly, but you rely on overpowering or overwhelming your opponent with brute force. While that can be a good tactic, it won't work every time." Professor Flitwick walked back to the platform to get ready to announce the next bout. I sat there still holding Susan's hand, my cheeks I'm sure were as red as her hair. 

up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Not going to lie, the

Not going to lie, the reference to Chapter 3 was definitely helpful... the potential relationship with Susan came as a bit of a surprise but all in all, another great chapter!!

The relationship came as a

The relationship came as a shock to me as well. I wasn't originally planning on it, but the words just came out. I'm glad you are continuing to enjoy the story.

Fair enough! Lol. And I am. I

Fair enough! Lol. And I am. I'm curious to see where this will go and the how Holly takes the revelation that her mom still lives (I assume so so at least?)

Yes, Bellatrix is still alive

Yes, Bellatrix is still alive, and in Azkaban. I'm planning to have Holly learn more of her true heritage over the summer. As for how she reacts to this information, you'll just have to wait.

I agree with WillowD, I

I agree with WillowD, I definitley look forward to learning more on her heritage...