The Violinist Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

After thirty minutes of driving, Mike pulls into one of the many parking lots of William and Mary's campus. The security guard at the main gate had given them a visitor’s pass and informed them of who they could see in the music department. He also directed them to which parking lot they could park.

June grabs the violin case as Mike turns the car off. She looks at Mike and Larry “the guard said we should talk to Jonathan Watts.”

“We’ll have to look up where his office is.” Larry gets out of the car.

“That should be easy. If we see a student or another instructor, we could ask them.” June was walking between Larry and Mike.

She shivers as the silky ponytail hanging between her leg’s brushes against her skin under her dress. She loves feeling the tail just dangle between her legs. A smile appears on June’s face as she enjoys the sensation.

“Do you think this professor can help us find out what type of violin this is?” June was curious.

“Maybe.” Mike was wondering what type of instrument June had.

They walk inside the building and just stop to look at all the students. They couldn’t believe how many students there were.

“Wow! I’ve never seen so many students before.”

“You did go to high school for a short period, didn’t you?” Mike looks at June

“Yes, but the high school I went too, never had this many people.” June hated high because of the teasing and name-calling. There were also several bullies she wanted to avoid as well.

“Over here.” Larry spotted a sign that directed students to teacher offices.

“Cool, so where is Professor Watt's office?” June was looking around.

“Oh, he’s his office is just down the hallway. Office Ewell B46.” A short black hair girl had stopped to answer June’s question.

“Thank you.” June and the guys start heading down the hallway.

Halfway down, Larry spots the office “over here guys.”

June and Mike walked over to the office door and knocks on the door.

“Enter.” Professor Watts looks up at the sound coming from his door.

He notices two African American men and a young white woman, carrying a new looking violin case. He doesn’t recognize the young woman "how can I help you?”

“Hi, my name is Mike Sidlow, and my partners Larry Sidlow and June Sidlow. We have a question about this violin that my partner June found. We’re hoping you might be able to tell us a little about it.”

Professor Watt's curiosity was piqued. He would like to know what they brought with them in the case.

“I’ll do my best.” Professor Watts gets up from his seat and walks around his desk.

June walks over and places the violin case on the desk and opens it. She carefully picks up the violin and hands it to Professor Watts. He hasn’t seen a violin-like the one inside the case before.

“May I?” Professor looks at June.

“Sure.”

Professor Watts picks the violin up carefully and start examining it. He pulls out a small flashlight and shines it inside the violin to see if he can find the makers mark. He plucks the strings and listens to the sweet sound they made.

Mike, Larry, and June just watch as the Professor examines the violin. June was curious about what the professor was looking for. She keeps watching him as he turns the violin to the side.

Professor Watts looks over the violin and finally finds the makers mark. He couldn’t believe what he was seeing. He carefully puts the violin down and looks at June, Larry and Mike.

“Where did you find this violin?”

“Up in the attic of an old farmhouse in Suffolk. Why?” June was curious.

“Because this violin is a Stradivarius violin.” Professor Watts couldn’t believe what he was holding in his hands.

“How do you know that?” Mike was curious.

“Because of the last three handwritten numbers. It’s a Stradivarius. However, I would still get this certified.”

“But, can’t you do that?” June was puzzled.

“I can verify that it is an original Stradivarius, but you would be better off having papers from the Smithsonian or another institution saying so.
That way there’s no question about it.”

“Professor, how much would you say this violin is worth?” Larry was curious.

“Since it’s a missing Stradivarius, you could get anywhere from several hundred thousand to millions.” Professor Watts would love for the
college to own the one in his hand.

“Wow!” June was thinking that she could get her surgery finally and have a few things done to her body.

Professor Watts puts the violin back into the brand-new case it came in. He looks at June “if you decide you would like to sell the violin. Please call me or the school.” He hands a business card to Mike since he was standing closer to his desk.

“We will and thanks for your time, professor.” Mike picks up the violin case and leads Larry and June out of the office.

They head back to the car. June was thinking about if she wanted to sell the violin.

“What are you thinking about, June?”

“I was thinking if I sell the violin, I could get my surgery.” June had a little skip in her step.

“Do you want to sell something so valuable?” Larry looks at June with a questionable look on his face.

June had to think about the question. She wanted her surgery, but it was a once in a lifetime that something so valuable came around.

“If you’re going to sell it, June. We’ll need to get papers certifying that it is genuine.” Larry figures they could get more money for it.

“I think you should keep it and maybe lend it out if you get that assistant job.” Mike presses the remote to unlock the car.

“So, does that mean we will be heading to Washington D.C.?” June puts the violin case in first.

“Yes, so let’s go home and pack a bag.”

“Are we leaving tonight or tomorrow morning?”

“Tomorrow morning.” Mike starts taking them home.

On the way, Mike swings by a Shake-n-Steak to buy all three of them lunch. June ordered a burger and was still thinking about what Mike said about the violin. Is it worth selling it, to get the operation she desperately wants? Sure, they still had a bunch of Civil War stuff they were selling. Between her and Larry they had items that people they knew wanted, to hear from.

Larry and Mike notice June was in deep thought as she ate her swiss burger. They knew her moods well enough and figured she was still thinking about the violin.

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A missing classic

Samantha Heart's picture

Best NOT sell it. A Stradivarius especially one that was lost for years yes worth a LOT of money but the TONE!!! PRICELESS just fot that. Jone BETTER KEEP IT! If she EVER playes with a symphony orchestra they will LOVE the sound out of the instrument.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.