County Sheriff -10- What Goes around, comes around part 3 of 3

Printer-friendly version

What Goes Around Comes Around Part 3 of 3

I left the Office still smiling and shaking my head at what Sue-Ellen had described to me. I didn’t want to tell anyone else about it until I had seen it for myself. Kelly tried to divert me to tell me when the ATF team were arriving but I waved her away and said that I’d update her as soon as possible.

The images of what Sue-Ellen had described to me over the phone just brought back memories of watching ‘Wacky Races’ on TV as a child.

Those images turned out to be almost correct.

I arrived to find Sue-Ellen grinning from ear to ear. I could see why. The aircraft that had been spotted flying low over the Interstate was lying nose down in the very same seasonal pond where we’d found Sandy Thompson’s body. The recent rain had allowed the water to collect and at night, it would have been next to impossible to see before disaster struck.

I looked at the direction it had been going in. It was heading South West and there had been a breeze from that direction the night before. My guess was that it had been trying to take off when it came to a very sticky end. This was understandable if the pilot had been trying to take off without lights.

“Have you taken any photos?”

Sue-Ellen grinned.
“Dozens.”
“For posterities sake you understand.”

I smiled back at her.

“Why don’t you send a couple to Kelly. She would love to know what I found so funny.”

Sue-Ellen pulled out her phone and began to press some keys. I took the opportunity to inspect the wreckage a bit closer. The Pilot had evidently escaped unscathed and was from first glance nowhere to be seen.

The downside to this whole thing was that another federal agency namely the NTSB and possibly the FAA [1] would have to be involved.

I started walking in the direction the plane had come from. The wheel tracks were easy to follow. After about two hundred yards I saw two sets of vehicle tracks coming from and going back towards the main gate to the property. This was obviously where the cargo had been unloaded. The tracks of the aircraft disappeared off into the distance. My guess was that the pickup had got here first and used its lights to signal to the plane where to land. The fall of darkness may well have meant that the pilot had no idea of what lay ahead of him when he started his take off run.

I walked back to Sue-Ellen.

“We need to see if we can find the Pilot. He may well be needing medical attention.”

“I thought the same. There are footprints heading towards the road.”

“Let’s follow them and see if we can find him.”

We both got in our vehicles and slowly followed the tracks. They initially led towards the road but after a bit, they changed course and were clearly heading towards the house. It had been boarded up after it had been condemned by the County Engineer but there had been a few cases where teens had broken in and had a bit of a drinking party.

We stopped in front of the building and started to look around. At first there were no signs of any one or any fresh damage to the building.

Sue-Ellen went one way around the building and I went the other. We’d drawn our weapons just in case. We had to assume that the Pilot was armed and possibly dangerous.

I’d just turned the corner of the building when I heard Sue-Ellen call out. I went running.

As I reached her, I saw that she was bending down over a body.

“He’s alive but only just.”

“I’ll call it in,” I said in reply.

I used my phone to call the Paramedics.

“They’ll be here in fifteen minutes or so,” I said after I’d spoken with the dispatcher.

“He’s probably got a punctured lung given the sound of his breathing. It is not good.”

“While you are examining him, can you check for an ID and weapons. Seth and Brad really don’t like treating people who are armed.”

Sue-Ellen chuckled. Brad was her brother and one of our local Paramedics. He had become very pro-gun control after he’d nearly died during his training when a patient pulled a gun on him and fired. Thankfully he only got wounded in the arm but I knew from my own experiences incidents like that can change your whole outlook on life when it comes to firearms.

Sue-Ellen went about her business very efficiently. She didn’t find any weapons but neither did she find any ID or any documentation at all. I looked forlornly back at the plane and realised that someone would have to examine it before the day was out.

My deliberations were cut short by my phone ringing. It was Kelly.

“Hi Kelly. Are the prisoners playing up?”

“You did eh? Well done. What were they saying?”

“OK, I’ll listen.”

I listened as Kelly played me part of a recording of what our guests were saying to each other. While it might not be strictly legal or able to be used in evidence at a trial, what they said to each other without the presence of a lawyer is not exactly covered by privilege.

“That is not good. Is Tom there?”

“Get him to give me a call from outside the station. Sue-Ellen and I are waiting for the paramedics so until they take the pilot off to Hospital, I can’t leave.”

“I’ll fill you in as soon as I get back. What they were saying is bad news. I want to take some precautions.”

“Yeah that’s right. Remove temptation and all that.”

Tom called me less than two minutes later.

“Tom, I want you to disappear with those weapons pronto. We might be having some uninvited visitors sooner rather than later if the conversation that Kelly recorded is anything to go by.”

“Yes, turn off the tracker in your vehicle and also switch off your work phone. Take one of the burners from the stockroom but keep it switched off for at least two hours. Tell Kelly the number and get out of town. Don’t take the road to the Interstate and I don’t want to know where you are going. Got it? Oh, and stay with the weapons to ensure chain of custody. Stop off at Harry’s new ‘Drive Thru’ and get some take-away on your way out of town. Tell Harry to charge it to the Department.”

“Yes, some insurance. If you don’t hear from me by this time tomorrow then you will have to assume the worst. If that is the case then you should head for the State Police HQ but by the back roads. Maintain radio silence. Despite us having digital radios, there are people out there who can hack into them at the drop of a hat.”

“Tom… Don’t take any chances and good luck.”

I hung up and looked at Sue-Ellen.

“Has all this stirred up a Hornets nest?”

“I’m beginning to think that way. Go with the Ambulance and stay at the Hospital. We need to arrest this man in any case so staying close won’t be out of the ordinary.”

“What are you going to do?”

“Make a few calls and hope that it is all a false alarm.”

While Sue-Ellen kept watch over the pilot, I used my phone to search for a number. Once I had it, I called it.

“Hello, I’ve recently had a call from someone purporting to be from your Organisation. Is there any way to check to see if it is genuine?”

“Yes, I’ll hold.”

“Yes, I received a phone call late last night supposedly from an Agent McSwain. It was after I’d done a search for an ID after a hit on the AFIS Database.”

“Yes, I am in Law Enforcement. My name is Sheriff Matt Beecher. I have recently come into possession of some rocket launchers and a quantity of ammunition for them.”

“That’s right. That’s the name of the one of the people we have under arrest. Am I to assume that you are indeed sending some people to take over the investigation? We have the Pilot and the plane that was used to bring them into the country. The weapons originate from Serbia.”

“You have? That’s good to know. Thanks for the heads up. Rest assured that we will offer all possible support to your agents.”


The FBI and ATF arrived in force the following morning. I counted sixteen identical black SUV’s driving up to the office. Idiots! If you want to signal that you are a Fed then there really is nothing better than using an identikit vehicle. Like the old days and new FBI agents with their standard issue raincoat and ‘buzz-cut’ hair. They might as well have the words “I’m a Fed” in neon lights on them for all the good it would go if they ever hoped to blend in.

The night had been long, cold and quiet. The last part was the most relevant. No one had come looking for either the people or the weapons which relieved me no end.

We’d given our guests their breakfasts which had made them far more amenable. Well, two of the three seemed a bit more-friendly. Walt was as expected his usual sullen self. He refused even a cup of coffee. He just glared at everyone and I got an even meaner look.

“It is no use wishing that you were on this side of the bars Walt. You are going nowhere except to jail for a very long time. Those weapons are on the prohibited list. That means that you my dear brother are going to be charged with Terrorism against the State. That’s a 99-year sentence as a minimum. I hope that your little lady or is it ladies? Anyway, I hope that the women in your life are prepared to visit you in a Federal Super Max because that is where you will be spending the rest of your natural.”

He just glared at me.

“I would hope that the Feds get here before Ma. I might just turn a blind eye and let her loose on you if she gets here first. What about that then dear brother?”

There was a look of panic on his face.

“Good. At least there is some reaction from you. Glares get boring very quickly.”
Kelly saved the day for him by telling us that the Feds had setup in the car park and wanted to get going with their part of the investigation.


As I’d expected, the lead agents bickered over who was going to take over my office.

“Gentlemen! Please. The weapons are the most important thing here. They could shoot down a few 747’s! To me, that gives the ATF precedence. Agent Cole, you can use my office. Agent Roberts, you can use the desk right outside the door.”

They didn’t argue.

Agent Cole returned a brief smile.

“Where are the Missiles?”

“Somewhere safe,” I responded.

“Where?”

“Safe because I don’t know where they are. One of my deputies has them. I sent him off last night just in case we had unexpected visitors looking for them before you turned up. His orders were to stay with them at all times to maintain evidence control.”

He looked worried.

I turned to Sue-Ellen.
“Can you give Tom a call please?”

She grinned back at me.
“I sent a message to him when the Agents arrived. He’ll be here in an hour and a half.”

“That OK Agent Cole?”

“It will have to be,” he replied with a look of distain on his face.

“Agent Cole, we had some intel that suggested we might have been paid a visit by friends of those we have in custody. It really would not look good on any of our records if these visitors had been able to drive off with that weaponry now would it?”

He just glared at me.

“My officer has been with them the whole time so there is no break in the chain of custody for them. As far as I’m concerned, we have done everything we could to do things by the book which will give none of the accused grounds for appeal. If you don’t like it then that’s your hard luck. I’m sheriff of this county and it is my duty to protect the lives of everyone in it and that includes my officers.”

I turned away before he could argue.


The Feds did what Feds do and by four in the afternoon, they were ready to leave. The three prisoners were loaded into the back of the ATF SUV’s. The Missiles had been catalogued and recorded into evidence. We’d all given verbal and written statements about the operation to arrest the suspect. Two FBI officers were dispatched to the hospital to stand guard over the pilot. They didn’t look happy at that assignment.

The ATF lead Agent, Agent Cole took me aside just before they left. His attitude towards me and my officers had softened quite a bit as the day went on. The work we had put in right at the beginning ended up making their job a lot easier.

“Thank you for your assistance Sheriff. We might have gotten off on the wrong foot but your insistence in doing everything by the book will ensure that those three perps get the justice they deserve.”

“Thanks Agent Cole. I don’t want any special favours for my Brother. He went over to the dark side several years ago. He knew that we’d arrest him on sight if he came back here. Yet, he did just that. I have no idea why he keeps tempting fate like this.”

“He’s as guilty as the others in my eyes so he’ll get the same book thrown at him as the others.”

“Do it properly Agent Cole. That’s all I ask.”

“Gotcha Sheriff!”


The Feds had been all over the crashed aircraft which was a Cessna C208 Caravan. They’d discovered that it had been stolen from a small airfield in Newfoundland, Canada about three months before. A fake US tail number had been painted on it for a while. There was some while plastic over the fake number that blanked it out. FAA Records showed that it had been flying around the Midwest for a while before disappearing off all flight records at the start of December. The final update we’d had from the FBI was that they were deferring any action until the ATF had concluded its investigations. I wondered why no one from the FAA had twigged that a fake tail number was being used for months. Then I wondered how many others there were in the sky over the USA and other countries at that very moment. That thought scared me. All those TLA’s with their own turf wars and keeping everything within their Agency would make this oh so easy.

The original owners Insurance Company sent a team to recover the plane a week or so later. I doubted that it would ever fly again given the damage to the fuselage but what did I know eh. Tom and I watched it disappear on the back of a low-loader.

“Good riddance,” I muttered.

Tom just laughed.

Then we watched as Barney SWA dug an even deeper and wider trench at the entrance to the Cummings property. Then he moved 12,000 lbs of concrete blocks into place. We hoped that this time our defences would keep any future trespassers out. The place was a real thorn in our side.


It was the 5th of December before we received an update from the ATF about the case. A simple email from Agent Cole said that a Federal Grand Jury had indicted Seth Smith and Troy Jenkins on charges of intent to supply prohibited weapons to persons or persons unknown. There was no mention of Walt anywhere in the message.

I sat looking at the screen for longer than I should. I failed to notice Kelly coming into my Office. The door was open so this was perfectly normal. I was so engrossed in staring at the screen that I failed to see her come around to my side of the desk and read the email.

“Bastards!” she exclaimed.

Her expletive dragged me back to reality.

“Oh!”

“Boss! What the hell have they done?”

“I don’t know and that’s what I’m worried about.”

Kelly picked up the phone and began dialling a number. She’d seen Agent Coles’s number on the screen. As it started ringing, she handed me the phone.

Deep down, it was a call that I knew that I needed to make but really, really didn’t want to. Kelly had rather forced my hand.

“Agent Cole, Sheriff Beecher.”

“Yes, I did get your email. That’s what I’m calling about. What happened to my brother Walt? His name was not on the indictment. Why? He was caught red handed. His prints were all over one of those launchers?”

“You are kidding right? Please say that you didn’t let him go just like that?”

“What? Why didn’t you give us a chance to take him into custody? You knew that he is wanted here for failure to attend court and in other places. You are telling me that he’s got immunity?”

I listened with incredulity to the ATF Agent telling me about my brother.

“Agent Cole. Let me be perfectly clear on this. You and your agency will get absolutely no and I mean zero cooperation from this department in future while I am Sheriff. I thought that you were more professional than the FBI. You sir, are without doubt the worst law enforcement officer I have ever encountered and believe me, some of them are spending a lot of time behind bars as I speak.”

I hung up the phone.

“They did a deal with Walt and he’s free. Full immunity for all outstanding warrants and judgements including the arrest warrant here and the child support one.”

Kelly went over and closed the door to my office. Then she came and gave me a big hug.

Some Christmas present that was and I was not looking forward to telling Ma.

Kelly had read my mind.
“Telling Ma can wait until after Christmas can’t it?”

I mumbled a yes.

“If my dear brother comes back this way again, he’s going to wish that he’d not done a deal with the feds. That is one thing I can be sure about.”

Kelly let out a small laugh.

“It is events like today that make me want to think again about standing for re-election.”

The smile disappeared from her face.
“It is a kick in the you know what’s that for sure but the department is your life.”

“I know but it might be time to think beyond being Sheriff. Besides, I have to think of you as well.”

Kelly looked sad.
“Being a Cop is all I know. It is all we know isn’t it? What do most retired cops do? Run a bar. I don’t think that there is room for another one in town. What are we going to do?”

“You can still be a Cop you know?”

“Not if you aren’t. I’m here because of you. You showed faith in me and… and the rest is history. I go where you go capuche!”

I knew when I was beaten. I gave Kelly a kiss.

“Not a word about me thinking about not standing for re-election ok?”

Kelly grinned.
“Yessir boss man.”
Then she gave me a long kiss to seal the deal.

[the end]

[1] NTSB : National Transportation Safety Board
FAA : Federal Aviation Administration.

up
325 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

All three were caught red

All three were caught red-handed and there is no suggestion of catching bigger fish, so why did they need to do a deal with Walt ?

I suppose we need Walt free to star in future stories.

bigger fish

That sort of information would be above Matt's pay grade. Walt star in future stories? I don't know about that. It all depends upon my muse but at the moment, that is the last we see of Walt but your comment has given me an idea for a way to paint myself out of a corner in another story. Thanks.
Samantha

Walt

WillowD's picture

I'd swear that idiot has plot immunity or something. The way he keeps showing up like a bad weed.

And you didn't paint yourself into a corner. You can choose to let the story tread drop. After all, you are following the sheriff's department, who mostly don't get to find out what happens to the stories after they leave town. On the plus side, Walt could easily be used to drag the story back to town if you decide to follow up.

I really love the way you write these stories. They are somewhat different from most stories I read and they are quite enjoyable.

Thanks

It is comments like this that make it all worthwhile. The downside is that it makes a high bar for all my other work to reach in terms of quality.
Thanks again,
Samantha

High Bar?

Samantha, I have read all of your writing on this site and, in my humble opinion, you have always cleared the high bar, albeit you may believe that some of your earlier pieces may have caused the bar to rattle.

For me, all of your work has been readable and highly entertaining. Don't undervalue yourself or your abilities , please!

Brit

I agree with Sheriff

Sammi's picture

Matt, on the Walt subject

The ATF guy really did a number on the LEO's, However I hazard a guess that Walt may have been a lot higher in the hierarchy of where the S.A.M's were going or the supply chain they were coming from.

Intelligence is the only thing that I can think that Walt had to get that kind of deal, and it'd have to be Working not Actionable Intelligence.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Squealing on the Well Financed?

BarbieLee's picture

Walt would have been a whole lot better off in prison. Ratting out those who have the muscle to purchase high end missiles doesn't sound like a long range retirement plan. Want to visualize how this would play out? Read about the drug dealers in Mexico. Murder and wholesale slaughter is a way of life for everyone in that nation.
Hugs Sammit
Barb
When life hands you lemons hand them back, it's a trick.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

The 2 criminals were very

The 2 criminals were very sloppy.
Failed to check the airstrip to make use in was safe. Same for the pilot. While it was dark there are things like night vision they could have used.
It would not be rocket science to walk the airstrip before take off.
The leaving the injured pilot at the airstrip without medical aid or making sure he would not talk.
with regard to the deal finding the source of the sa-7s would be more than enough for the feds to do a deal.
I imagine Walts will need to go in to witness protection programme.

I enjoyed the story, as usual.

Leaves plenty of openings for the possible reappearance of the sheriff's brother. But I cannot recall any follow-up info on the pilot. What happened there? (or was it hiding in plain sight?)
Best wishes

The Pilot?

Yes, an omission on my part. The Feds would be dealing with him along with the occupants of the SUV (less Walt) should he survive but that isn't important to the overall story (hopefully)
Samantha

Not always the case

BarbieLee's picture

The pilot may not have been well enough to be charged in court. Our legal system doesn't pull a man off what might be his or her death bed to bring them to a hearing in court. The omission of not including the pilot in the report meant he wasn't there with the others for a pre trial hearing. The pilot would also have so many other charges brought up against him by the FAA, Homeland Security, and a couple other agencies I can think of, independent of transporting missiles. He would be facing court on his own rather than with the others. The first order would be to indite and prove he was THE PILOT and proceed from there.
Hugs Sam
Barb
Life is a gift, treasure it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Life in the county

Podracer's picture

Hey, another super shot of "County Sheriff", and yeah, like they say - we don't always get what we want. However, think on this; Walt has just guaranteed that some Very Bad People will be mad at him. And I don't mean that they will be issuing a lawsuit either. Walt is going to get a crick in his neck looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life. Which may or may not be long.

"Reach for the sun."

Walt's fate?

If Walt had enough evidence to get him out of prosecution, he wouldn't exactly walk free. He would be handed over to the U.S. Marshall Service, for protective custody until all trials and such were over. After which he would be placed into the Witness Protection Program, given a new identity.

The Sheriff and his 'Ma' would eventually receive a body they are told is the remains of Walt, who was killed in some vengeful attack, orchestrated by those he once worked for. The attack would of course leave the body in such condition that it would be impossible for the Sheriff and his Ma to determine if it was really Walt.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Unless a DNA test was done.

Rose's picture

Unless a DNA test was done. The only real way to stop that from being done is if a little urn was given to them.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Another great instalment

I am however, disappointed that Walt got a deal from the Feds as I am a by the book type like Sheriff Matt. I'm not totally surprised at the deal though as the launchers originated from Serbia. That fact alone would mean there are bigger fish to fry, especially because it goes international.

I still think the local warrant against Walt is valid. A federal Court can't vacate that because they don't have jurisdiction, unless there was an appeal made on the original conviction up to a higher court.

Hopefully we get to hear more from the characters of County Sheriff.

Thanks, Samantha!

It wasn't Tom

but Matt's brother Walt that got the Deal. Tom is a valued member of the PD.

Samantha

It wasn't Tom

Ugh! That was plainly evident except to my fingers typing on autopilot without brain engaged, and reviewing ability. Corrected.

I agree

A federal court could only grant immunity or dismiss on Federal charges. They don't have jurisdiction over state courts. However, if Walt was entered into the witness protection program, he wouldn't be found to appear in state court.

Glad That Was Mentioned...

Saves me writing a PM (g).

So all the time they were chasing Walt, his associates and their truck, there was a disabled plane on the property with an injured pilot that none of them saw?

Eric

The incident happened at dusk

and into the night. The plane would have gone unnoticed and the size of the Cummings place could have easily hidden it until the following day and daylight.
Samantha

Great addition to the Sheriff series!

Although I have one question... What is a SWA? As in your mention of Barney SWA? Maybe you mentioned it somewhere in another story or earlier in this one, but the only SWA's I can think of is SouthWest Airlines and Scottish Whiskey Association :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

SWA means...

Show With Arrow.
Barney is a native american and as a youngster, he shot himself in the foot with an arrow. The name stuck. I met someone with the SWA nickname on my travels around the Rockies in 2015. I changed the first name to protect the innocent.

Samantha

Truly a Great Story

BarbieLee's picture

Samantha, one of the best parts of your story writing is you have a plot. Your stories aren't simply fluff..., um sometimes you write chapters of fluff. Don't we all. My daughter and I were discussing Star Wars last night. The first ones directed by George Lucas had substance, a plot, and action. Disney took over the franchise and they became nothing more than action graphics, no real plot, no believable action. Their writers are missing imagination and immersion into their scripts.
County Sheriff is nice and tight with setting, action, dialog in perfect proportions. Is it a real story? Very well could be. One of the extras about why it is so interesting. Been surrounded by friends and family in law all my life and your story telling tracked true for any situation.
Love your story telling.
Hugs Sam
Barb
Life is meant to be lived, not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Thanks Barbie

Fluff? Now darling, the only fluff I have is that horrible stuff that appears like magic in my belly button.
I don't write Fluff. Ok, some chapters are more like marking time until the real action starts again in earnest. Life isn't like a Hollywood crash bang wallop from Reel 1 to Reel 4 thingy.
Seriously, thanks for the compliment. You really don't know how much it means to me to get comments like that.
Big hugs,
Samantha.

Another excellent installment

Rose's picture

Another excellent installment. Even if Walt walks and goes into the witness protection program, he will have to stay entirely off the grid. Too many facial recognition programs are running nowadays. I suppose plastic surgery would help in that department. Perhaps Walt will return as a female version of himself... Herself? Maybe he got into all this trouble because he was depressed, growing up in such a small town and he didn't know how people would react to him wanting to be female.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

If Walt keeps playing

Wendy Jean's picture

games, he will likely wind up dead.

Bummer!

joannebarbarella's picture

The story was great but Walt literally getting away with murder (or close to) was not. The only reason I can think of for the Feds to do a deal was if he could supply them with information on the supply chain of the weapons which would lead them to the principals. However, I find it hard to believe that Walt was that high in the criminal organisation, so he's sold them a pup. On the plus side, if he has gone into witness protection it's unlikely that he'll ever bother our Sheriff again. Still what do I know? I can't read your devious mind.

Just because the weapons originated in Serbia does not mean that they could not have been sold on many times. AK47s originated in Russia but are readily obtainable from arms dealers anywhere in the world, even, dare we say, in the USA.

AK/SK-47s

Were deliberately designed to be easily fabricated even in a low tech society. There are factories literally all over the world churning out those babies by the the hundreds and thousands. There are two things they all have in common, they work and they are rugged as all getout. About the only thing that would screw them up is bad ammo. And that's hardly the fault of the rifle, is it?

Several years ago on one of those abandoned places explorer channels the guy showed an abandoned factory where there were AK47s strewn all over the place. Packed and crated, loose piled in carts some still in various stages of manufacture. Another had crates full of magazines. Guy said he estimated close to a thousand rifles in ready to load condition.

Dude was really circumspect on where this was at, but seemed to indicate it was not in Russia. The former Soviet satellite countries are always short of cash, to one of them this place would be like gold in the bank.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Two down one moron to go

Jamie Lee's picture

Good thing what was heard from the prisoners didn't come true, Matt and the others may have been outgunned. Hopefully the bad guys were either too far away to pull off a night time raid or decided raiding the Sheriff office wasn't smart.

Walt would be used because of his knowledge of the area, not his smarts. Because Walt would be considered a security risk by the bad guys, it's likely he wouldn't be told very much until they were sure he wasn't a plant. And he may not know all the players.

Since he made a deal with the ATF, to save his worthless hide, he best start wearing a rear view mirror. The players have paid a pretty pennie to someone for those launchers, and are going to be passed steamed for losing them.

Unless Walt is relocated and given a new identity, his days on Terra Ferma have been shortened considerably. And they'll be even shorter if Ma gets her hands on him.

This is another great short story about the events in the county, and the people who guard it.

Others have feelings too.