A Different Plane of Existence - Part 11

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

It's time to go back to school. Will Charlotte have all thats needed and who does Charlotte keep seeing?

Story:

A Different Plane of Existence

By Karen Page

Many thanks to the anonymous person who provided their editing skills during Angel's absence.


Part Eleven

Two weeks after the surgery, the swelling had gradually faded and all that was left was a slight scar where Charlotte's Adam's Apple used to be. She looked at her diary and with a sigh, noticed that the date of her second period was rapidly approaching.

"Are you worrying about your next period?" Kelly asked Charlotte as she walked into the kitchen to have breakfast.

"A little," said Charlotte with a touch of ill-disguised worry in her voice.

"Well remember every twenty eight days is only an estimate. You won't know your cycle till you've been through it a few times. That is if you're regular."

"Regular?"

"Well some girls very a bit. We won't know for a few months."

"Oh great, what a strange body I've now got."

"Well just make sure you've got things with you a few days before hand. Now, are you ready to venture out again?" asked Kelly.

"I think so," replied Charlotte. "It looks like all the swelling has gone."

"Ah, you're getting braver."

"Not really, I'm just bored out of my mind. No offence but being stuck in a house is making me stir crazy. I've done enough walking and talking exercises to last anyone a lifetime. Then on top of that you've stuffed me full of information on how to come across as a girl. I never thought that being a girl would be so difficult."

"It isn't difficult," laughed Kelly. "It's just that all the other girls have had a lifetime to gradually learn this information. If you want to be accepted as a girl you need to know what I've been teaching you. It isn't as easy as putting on a dress and everyone would think a person is a girl. That is stuff out of fiction."

"There aren't any boys that can just don girl's clothes and pass?"

"Well there are some, but they are very rare. I suppose it depends on their upbringing and how long they have perceived themselves as being a girl. I've only come across a few TS's that are passable straight away. Just look how much work it has taken for you; facial hair clearance and an operation."

"I'd never have dreamed it would be like this though. So where do you want us to go?"

"Well in a few weeks you will have the opportunity to start school again. I have got you registered in a good local school and you will need to get a uniform."

"Do they know my history?"

"No they don't and I'm not planning on telling them. We also have an appointment with someone from the Gloucester Registrars Office to see if we can get your Birth Certificate changed."

"I didn't think that was possible."

"Well under the Gender Recognition Act it will be possible but the committee hasn't been set up yet. Since you've had a period it should be possible to make them think you should have been given a female Birth Certificate."

"Is that why a gynaecologist examined me last week?"

"Yes, their evidence should help swing the decision. It won't be easy though as civil servants are very unsure about making decisions that they've never made before; they tend to flap."

"Really?"

"Really, I've come across several over the years. If there is a rule or a law for a situation they are fine, but give them something unusual and they will try not to make any decision."

"Sounds like things should get real fun."

* * *

"Hi," said Kelly to the receptionist. "We have an appointment with Ms Pollock."

The receptionist checked her list, "Are you Kelly Baxter and Charlotte Turner?"

"Yes."

"Excellent," she said, carefully placing a small tick next to their names on her appointment sheet. "If you could have a seat, she is running a few minutes behind schedule but hopefully she shouldn't keep you long."

"You'd think everything would be computerised," Charlotte mentioned to Kelly as they waited.

"Another failed government computer project," she sadly replied.

Ms Pollock was running later that the receptionist implied and it was twenty minutes later that they were ushered into her office.

"Please be seated," she started. "Now, I believe you have asked for this appointment to ask for a change to Charlotte's Birth Certificate. Now we can't normally change people's Birth Certificates unless exceptional circumstance can be shown."

Kelly handed over Simon's certificate and watched Ms Pollock's face."

"You can't apply like this for a change when Sexual Reassignment Surgery has been performed," replied Ms Pollock. "You can apply in due course under the Gender Recognition Act."

"I had my first period last month," explained Charlotte as she realised what Kelly had planned. "I'm not asking for it to be changed, just corrected. Have you ever heard of a transsexual having a period?"

"This is highly unusual," bristled Ms Pollock. "I don't think this has ever occurred before."

"Yes it has," sighed Kelly, upset that the head registrar was so ill-informed. "There have been cases that have set a precedent for corrections when a mistake like this was made."

Kelly handed over a sheet of paper outlining the previous occurrences. "As you can see that while rare, it is not unheard off. Charlotte starts a new school in a few weeks and it would be nice if she could start without the old confusion."

"Do you have evidence of her situation?"

Kelly again removed a sheet of paper and handed it across, "This is a sworn testimony, in front of a judge, by a gynaecologist explaining that Charlotte has a full set of fully functional female reproductive organs. She can, if she wishes, in the future, bear a child."

"This is highly unusual," repeated Ms Pollock as she read the sworn testimony. "If you leave this with me I will investigate how to take this forward."

"Will it be ready for me to register and my new school?"

"I don't think so," she said. "This is very unusual and might take months."

"So, because of a mistake I've going to end up being a female having to use the male changing rooms at school?" twisted Charlotte, knowing full well that the school would never allow that.

"Oh," said Ms Pollock knowing she was in a no win situation. If it came out that she was being obstructive and had caused Charlotte issues at school, there might be an investigation and she might be demoted. However, if she didn't do things correctly she might get into trouble for agreeing to an illegal change. "I will need to take this up with the registrar's office in London. They will need to make sure that everything is legal."

"Of course," agreed Kelly, again removing a sheet of paper from her folder. "This might help. It is a statement by a Judge that the evidence shown is enough evidence that a mistake was made and a new birth certificate should be issued."

Ms Pollock read through the legal ruling twice and after not finding anything she could question said, "I need to fax this to the legal office for verification. Would it be possible for you to come back in three hours?"

"That’s fine," replied Kelly. "We need to purchase the uniform for Charlotte when she starts school. We shall see you in three hours."

"So where do we go for the uniform?" Charlotte asked as they exited out of the council offices back into the street, the smell of the docks filling their lungs.

"Do you remember the shop where I bought a bra the other week?"

"You mean the one where the lady spotted I'm really a boy?"

Kelly gave a look at Charlotte and Charlotte laughed a little, "That I used to be a boy."

"That's better. And yes, it is that shop, though you don't have to go into the lingerie department."

"So what's the uniform like?"

"Grey skirt or trousers, white blouse and a green school jumper. Though if it keeps getting warmer I doubt you'll be wearing the jumper much."

"That doesn't sound too bad. Can I have trousers instead of a skirt?"

"If that's what you want, though you might think about adding a skirt for some occasions."

Charlotte thought about it and eventually nodded her consent. "Okay but just the one."

They wandered into the shop and found the area of the children's department that contained school uniforms.

"So what style do you want?" asked Kelly.

"You want me to choose?"

"Well before the accident, didn't you choose your own clothes?"

"Of course, but this is different."

"How?"

"I suppose it isn't," sadly replied Charlotte after thinking things through. "I still sometimes feel that these aren't for me but for someone else."

"It's okay," reassured Kelly. "It takes a while to adjust, especially for the unwilling."

"I'm really no longer unwilling. I might not like it but I see it as my future."

"I'm sorry, that was a bad phrase. How about 'the unplanned'?"

Charlotte just nodded and looked over the clothes and pulled out several different designs.

"I'm not sure which will suit me, so is it okay to try all these on?"

"Of course," smiled Kelly not daring to mention that girls often take a lot to try on. "Are you sure about that skirt though?"

"I think it looks okay, though I'll know when I've tried it on."

They went armed to the changing rooms where Charlotte was ushered into one of the cubicles.

"I'll wait here," said Kelly outside the cubicle. "Give me a shout if you need anything or want to show me anything."

It was a quiet day in the shop so there weren't many people trying things on. An older lady came in to try on a dress and Kelly nodded a hello. After a few minutes Kelly looked at her watch and noticed that Charlotte had been in there for five minutes. Kelly was beginning to wonder if everything was okay when there was a sudden cry of anguish.

"Are you okay," quickly asked Kelly.

"Can you find something longer than this...this...this belt," said Charlotte putting the hanger and skirt round the curtain.

Kelly's face went through various contortions as she tried to stop herself from laughing. "I'll be back in a minute."

"It's not funny," complained Charlotte.

"Of course not," replied Kelly putting on a semi serious voice. "I'll be back in a minute."

Kelly looked through the skirts and pulled one out that was nearly knee length. Not quite but she thought that Charlotte might freak if it was any shorter. Not quite modern style but certainly not too 1940's.

"Try this one," prompted Kelly as she put the skirt round the curtain.

A few minute later the curtain was drawn back and Charlotte came out. "What do you think?"

Charlotte had on the white blouse and grey skirt. It didn't match the trainers but Kelly blanked that out. "I think that will work well for you. What did you think for the trousers?"

"I like these two pairs," said Charlotte, pointing to two trousers hung by the other blouses. "The other ones didn't either fit well or I didn't like the style."

"Then why don't we get two pairs of each, the skirt and the blouses?"

"That should be enough," Charlotte said, looking over the purchases. "Is there anything else on the list?"

"Well, you will need a few new bras."

"That means going into the lingerie department?" asked Charlotte knowing the answer already and her stomach sinking at the thought.

"Yes, but you should be okay. I won't let the bra's bite you."

"It's not the bra's that I'm worried about rather a certain member of staff."

"I know, but she probably won't be working today. Anyway, the shop has a very strong discrimination policy. It has had transsexuals transition including shop-floor workers."

"Wow, no wonder she was nervous when she realised."

"Exactly, now shall we go and get those bras?"

Charlotte, still reluctant, nodded and they wandered to the department. Kelly again made Charlotte choose. Charlotte just wanted to pick the first ones she found but Kelly wouldn't let her and since it was quiet made Charlotte explain why she wanted or disliked each type.

When they went to the checkout Charlotte was horrified to see that the lady behind the checkout was the same one as last time she was in here.

"It's okay," reassured Kelly as Charlotte came to a halt. "Remember how bad she felt last time. She is probably going to be just as nervous as you are, if not more so."

Charlotte swallowed hard, trying to drown the butterflies in her stomach, put on a slight smile and moved towards the checkout. Her eyes never left the checkout, watching for any sign that she was going to shout out "BOY". As Charlotte got nearer she saw the name tag said 'Mary'.

"Can I help you miss," said Mary as Charlotte approached, her arms laden with clothes.

"Thanks," nervously replied Charlotte.

"I didn't realise you were school age," said Mary as she rung up the clothes.

"I'm fifteen. I've just moved into this area and starting afresh," Charlotte explained. She looked around and saw nobody in sight so asked, "Do I look better now?"

"If I hadn't known you before then I wouldn't be able to tell," reassured Mary. "You are ready for school. Do you start after half term?"

"Yes and I'm very nervous."

"Well you have nothing to worry about on your looks or behaviour. All you have to worry about is moving to a new area. I moved a lot when I was young and I was always worried, which was always unneeded. All the schools went out of their way to make sure I was well looked after."

"That’s good to hear."

Kelly who had been standing next to Charlotte smiled as this exchange took place. Mary had done more to reassure Charlotte than anything she could have done. After Kelly had paid they made their way out.

"Where now?" asked Charlotte as they entered onto Southgate Street.

"Let's go and get something to eat. There is a nice restaurant called The Comfy Pew. The food's good and you'll have a great view of Gloucester Cathedral."

"Ah, more history," laughed Charlotte.

"It's not all history. Part of Harry Potter was filmed there."

"Will we have chance to have a peek after eating?"

"I think Ms Pollock gave us enough time."

So it was after a delicious lunch and a guided tour of the Cathedral including the cloisters that they made their way back to the council offices in the docks. The sky was clouding over and rain threatened as they went into the building.

"Can I help you?" said the rather bored looking receptionist.

"We have an appointment with Ms Pollock," explained Kelly.

The receptionist examined the sheet of paper in front of her. "I'm sorry but Ms Pollock doesn’t have any scheduled appointments this afternoon."

"We had an appointment this morning and she told us to come back now."

"Well I'm sorry but Ms Pollock instructed us that she mustn't be disturbed. Can I book you in for sometime next week? I think there is a free appointment next Friday."

"Can you please try her number," requested Kelly.

"I'm sorry but Ms Pollock is not available," firmly replied the receptionist. "There is a free appointment at ten Friday next week."

"Please excuse me for a moment," said Kelly pulling out her mobile phone and moving out of earshot. A few minutes later Kelly returned and said, "Can I wait for a minute?"

The receptionist thought that Kelly had run to find if the date didn't clash with something else just nodded.

"I have some contacts due to my summer school," explained Kelly quietly to Charlotte. "I rang someone who should give Ms Pollock a nudge to keep her promise."

Five minutes later an ashen faced Ms Pollock came rushing into the reception area.

"I'm sorry for that misunderstanding," said Ms Pollock. "Let see if we can sort things out. Please come with me."

When they were seated in the interview room again Ms Pollock said, "The head registrar has validated the request and has authorised a new Birth Certificate be issued for Charlotte."

"Thank you for your hard work," said Charlotte.

"I'm just doing my job," modestly replied Ms Pollock. "Here is a copy for you."

Kelly leaned across and looked at the proffered certificate and frowned. "That isn't correct."

"I'm sorry?"

"That NHS number is the old number. It is based on the certificate number so a new number should be issued or it will become obvious that the birth certificate was a reissued which could lead to questions."

"Oh, well I'll need to discuss this in more detail with other people. I'm not sure how easy or quick it will be to fix this issue."

"All these questions were answered when the Department of Constitutional Affairs resolved what they were going to do under the Gender Recognition Act," prompted Kelly. "I don't expect it to take more than an hour or two for a competent person to resolve"

"That is probably the worst bit of legislation this country has ever adopted. Fancy pandering to those transsexual freaks," muttered Ms Pollock to herself. Then aloud she said, "I'll look into it and correct the issue. I'm sorry for the earlier confusion with the secretary; I'll make sure nothing like that ever happens again."

"I think we both know what was going on," said Kelly politely but with a strong undertone that sent shivers down Charlotte's spine. "I expect the secretary did nothing wrong and would be very upset if I heard otherwise."

With that Kelly stood up and walked out of the room with Charlotte following closely behind, leaving Ms Pollock in their wake.

As they walked through the docks towards the car Charlotte burst into tears, "Why was she so unhelpful? She should be called Pillock, not Pollock."

Kelly steered Charlotte towards a bench and they sat down. Kelly put her arm around Charlotte and gave her a tender hug.

"Even though you had medical information that pointed to you not being transgendered she still didn't want to help you. Ms Pollock is on record for her hatred of transsexuals but that is her only flaw. In her other work she is highly skilled and efficient. I hope she learns from this experience that transsexuals aren't all bad."

"All bad?"

"A transsexual kidnapped her daughter because she couldn’t have one of her own."

"Oh," sniffed Charlotte as she wiped away her tears. "I suppose that does cloud her opinion."

"Yes, but it is no excuse to treat you or anyone else like that."

As Charlotte was about to get up from the bench she noticed Ms Pollock hurrying along the path. As she disappeared past a seagull decided to relieve itself and deposited a white blob onto Ms Pollock's head. Charlotte sat down again on the bench and giggled at the sight of the registrar trying to wipe the muck of her head. Kelly joined Charlotte in fits of giggles as Ms Pollock quickly headed for her car in embarrassment.

As they drove through Gloucester, Charlotte caught a glimpse of someone on the street. "Kelly!" yelled Charlotte. "Can we go back?"

"Sure," acknowledged Kelly, wondering what Charlotte had seen but the urgency in her voice drove her to turn around at the next junction. Kelly drove past the same area and Charlotte looked wildly around.

"She's gone," said a dejected Charlotte when she couldn't see the person.

"I didn't think you knew anyone in the area. Who did you think you saw?"

"I think I'm hallucinating," said Charlotte. "Either that or it's just wishful thinking. Sorry for shouting like that."

"It's okay. It was interesting to hear. You shouted like a girl, which just goes to show that you have your voice down as habit now."

"I hadn't realised, but thinking back I didn't have to think about speaking like a girl; it just happens like that now."

"Precisely, just as your movement is. I think you are about to graduate from my school and are ready to re-enter the world."

* * *

"Where are we going?" Charlotte asked. It was the last Monday in May which in England is always a public holiday. The schools were off for the whole week and it marked the halfway point for the school term. After this week Charlotte was due to start school.

"That's a surprise," came the infuriating answer. "Just put on a pair off jeans, a light top and a pair of trainers. If the wind gets up you might find a jumper useful."

"Sounds intriguing."

"It's something traditional that I thought you might like to see. It is an even that occurs once a year and is unique to this area."

During breakfast Kelly would give nothing away and Charlotte eventually gave up trying to find out the details.

"What's going to happen to me now?" asked Charlotte. "I presume I won't be living with you forever."

"No, you won't be living with me forever," gently replied Kelly. It was a subject that neither of them had wanted to broach but both had thought about. "However, I'm not just going to throw you out. First I need to make sure you've adjusted enough to attend school. Only when we are both happy that you can live without my tutoring and support will you move out."

"But where will I go?"

"Social services will try and place you with a foster family. Until then you are more than welcome to stay here. You won't have to join any family you don't feel comfortable with."

"Thank you," said Charlotte, tears forming in her eyes. "It means so much to me."

Kelly simply embraced her emotional charge. She found her work so rewarding.

"So, where are we going?" asked Charlotte as they headed out of the driveway after a semi lazy early morning.

"We are going to Coopers Hill."

"That means nothing to me," replied a frustrated Charlotte.

"I know," laughed Kelly. "Well Coopers Hill is the steepest hill in Gloucestershire and we are going to witness one of the craziest things I've ever seen."

"Which is?"

"Cheese rolling."

"So far you've told me a lot of places and names of activities but none of it makes any sense at all."

"I told you not to ask," grinned Kelly. "I'll tell you when we get there. The first race is at noon"

"Ahhh," screamed Charlotte to herself in an amused frustration and settled down t watch the scenery flash by.

"Wow, even a St Johns ambulance," remarked Charlotte as they wandered into the field. "Why?"

"Because each year people injure themselves. Not just the contestants but in some years spectators. Basically a huge circular Double Gloucester cheese is rolled down the hill and the contestants chase after it. The first person to the finishing line wins the cheese. The aim is to try and catch the cheese but that is a physical impossibility."

"That's crazy," uttered Charlotte in shock. "That hill is so steep that people won't be able to run down it without falling over. Parts of it look almost vertical."

"Hence why the ambulance is on standby; a broken leg isn't unusual. It was cancelled in 1998 after nearly thirty contestants got injured during the 1997 race. They now have local farmers a rugby players standing by at the end to stop people."

"And people still take part?"

"Oh yes, not just locals either. I once saw somebody from America take part, though he was near the end of the finishers."

They stood towards the finishing line but a little to one side. A man in a Top Hat appeared at the starting position with another man carrying the cheese. All the mad people taking part were sat in a straight line:

"One to be ready...Two to be steady...Three to prepare," shouted the man wearing the Top Hat. The man with the cheese rolled it and the cheese hurled down the hillside. "and four to be off!"

All the contestants stood and ran after the cheese. The hill was so steep and uneven that the chasers had no chance of running. There were lots of people falling over, staggering and even rolling down the hill. One person broke their ankle and another had to be stretched off after knocking himself unconscious during the run down.

"They are totally bonkers," Charlotte said as the first winner was awarded the cheese. Twenty minutes later the second race was won by a former New Zealand rugby player. At that point Charlotte went very quiet.

"Are you okay?" asked Kelly, noticing Charlotte's change in attitude.

"Oh yeah, I'm fine," absently replied Charlotte.

"Charlotte," warned Kelly, her voice lowering and eyes pieces Charlotte's defences.

That snapped Charlotte out of her malaise. "Sorry?"

"What's wrong?" asked Kelly. "Did you see that person you keep thinking you've seen?"

"That wasn't it. I was thinking about the rugby I used to play and wondered if one day I might have been as good as him."

"Do you think you were?"

"No," eventually sighed Charlotte. "I might have been good but I was never that good. It is nice to dream that I might have been but I know in my heart that it wasn't something for me to do for a career."

"Do you want to have a go?"

Charlotte looked at Kelly like she was suggesting the stupidest idea in the world. Kelly however didn't flinch and again asked, "Do you?"

"I'm not old enough to take part in that race and I've not entered."

"Not the downhill race. Even if you were old enough I'd warn against it. However, there is a children's uphill race. Have a look at it and then decide. You don't have to fill in a form; you just turn up."

Charlotte hardly saw the third or forth races, her mind was on the idea that Kelly had planted into her mind. The boys uphill race looked fun and so did the girls one. "Do you mind if I give it a go?"

"Not at all," laughed Kelly. "I tell you what. I'll do it as well so please wait for me at the top. It's something I've always fancied doing but never had the guts to do myself."

"So I'm just an excuse," laughed Charlotte as they made their way to the foot of the hill.

Charlotte, who hadn't done much physical activity since the incident, found it tough going up the hill and was surprised at how fit Kelly wasn't far behind her. They weren't the first to the top but they were far ahead of lots of others.

"That was one heck of a run," said Charlotte when she started to get her breath back.

"You're telling me," replied Kelly.

"You did very well," replied Charlotte. "I didn't expect you to be as fit as that."

"I have a treadmill and exercise bike in a room attached to my bedroom," confessed Kelly. "It isn't easy keeping fit when looking after students. When I've not got any in residence, I go running or cycling to keep fit. I've completed the London marathon a few times."

Charlotte slowly made their way back to the car. Kelly was having a private chat with someone she'd seen and had asked Charlotte to go on ahead. Just as she was nearing the field where they'd parked the car, a car passed her. As the car passed Charlotte caught a passing glimpse of the back of the car and the person sitting inside. The car was quickly passed and Charlotte started running after the car to see if she could again see person. However, the car was too quick, even in the small lanes so Charlotte was left wondering.

* * *

The following Monday soon came. The days before had been filled with getting all the small items needed for school. Charlotte hadn't got out the learning habit as she had been learning one thing or another ever since the being buried alive.

"I'll drive you into school today and you can catch the bus home. Tomorrow you should be able to catch the bus yourself."

"Sounds fair," replied Charlotte. "It will be good to mix with others on the bus."

"You seem very confident."

"Not really. I've never had to change schools before, so I'm very nervous. I've never had to remake friends as I've always known people that I've grown up with. All this change is going to be difficult."

"Would you prefer to move back to the area you used to live in?"

"NO!" almost shouted Charlotte in panic. She then calmed down and said more in her normal tone, "No, my past would quickly become known and I would find that a lot harder to live with."

"Don't forget that different schools teach the same things but in different orders. There may be items that they have covered which you aren't familiar with. If that is the case then the teacher should be able to give you notes."

"I suppose there might be items covered that I already know."

"Yes, that is also true. In that case I would recommend you use it as a refresher."

Kelly drove gently out of Holcombe, through Painswick and towards the school in Stroud. As they passed through Painswick, Kelly reminded Charlotte where the bus would drop her off for the two mile walk back to the house.

As they approached the school, the butterflies in Charlotte's stomach were beginning to get worse. This was a situation that Charlotte had never experienced before and was something she'd never had thought would be so frightening.

"Hi," said Kelly to Miss Freeman, the school receptionist. "This is Charlotte Turner who is due to start today."

"Ah yes. If you both take a seat and Mr Younger will be with you shortly."

Five minutes later Mr Younger appeared and with a smile, ushered them into his office. "I've got the details of your current level of education and think that you will do well in this school. Your form tutor will be Mr Davies who will also take you for English. This is a copy of your timetable and also a map of the school."

"Thank you," said Charlotte taking the offered bits of paper. She first looked at the timetable and noticed she would have PE. "I have a medical note excusing me from PE."

"Do you have a copy for the records?"

Kelly opened her briefcase and removed a letter which she handed across to Mr Younger. He looked it over and placed it in Charlotte's file. "During PE you should go to the library where you can have an extra study session. You have missed a few weeks of lessons so I'm sure you will have lots to catch up with. We are on the same exam board as your old school so your coursework is transferable. Your details were sent via a court official without details of your old school so can you confirm that the details are correct?"

Charlotte looked over the timetable and agreed that she was in all the correct lessons. She took the proffered coursework and looked it over. It was all her work but the name 'Simon Turner' had been removed 'Charlotte Turner' was there instead. Charlotte gave a quick look at Kelly who just smiled and gave a small nod.

"All looks as it should," confirmed Charlotte.

"Excellent," muttered Mr Younger as he ticked that off on his list of tasks. "I have Ms Baxter down as guardian. Can I have your parents details for our records?"

Charlotte went white and the suppressed pain reared itself. She felt tears start to form in her eyes and she blinked a few times. "My parents are both dead and I'd rather not discuss it."

"Charlotte's history is covered under a court order," interrupted Kelly taking a copy out of her brief case. "That is why her old school details were sent via the court clerks office and not her previous school."

Mr Younger took a copy of the order and gave it a quick glance to discover it was all in legal jargon. "I'll need to get the LEA to examine this to make sure we comply."

"That is a copy for your records. I anticipated your needs and a copy was sent to the LEA. If you ring them now they should be able to give you a layman's version."

Mr Younger was starting to feel a bit put out with Kelly's efficiency. He also felt very unsure of the legal barriers that were erected around Charlotte. He picked up his telephone and rang the LEA. It didn't take them long to fax him the required information.

"Well this is very comprehensive but shouldn't cause any issue with teaching you," said Mr Younger after reading the summary. "I hope that whatever happened in your past is over and you are able to have a happier future."

"Thank you," said Charlotte without much feeling. She just wanted this chat to end.

"I've asked someone from your new class to keep an eye one you. She only started after Easter herself so will have a good understanding what it's like to move to a new school."

The headmaster got out of his chair and opened the door to reception and signalled to the girl to come in. "Charlotte, I'd like you to meet Kirsty Wilson. Kirsty this is Charlotte Turner."

Charlotte followed Kirsty out of the door and into the school. "How could this have happened?" thought Charlotte. "What quirk of fate has me in the same school as my old girlfriend? Oh God, I hope she doesn't recognise me."

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

up
219 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Kirsty

I somehow had a sneaky suspicion that the person Charlotte thought she recognised on her travels around Gloucester was Kirsty. I wonder if they'll both transfer to Hayfield Hall at the end of the year? Only one way to find out...keep reading :)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

It's your universe, but

Harecombe, not Holcombe?
Cheers, Gizmo

Hah.

Alice-s's picture

Saw that coming a mile off. Ok so ex finds secret, they become besides and she gets adopted by exes family?

Charlotte has many Problems

to overcome here, she first overcomes her adams apple problem with surgery, then a racist interferes with her placement as
a girl until policy forces a change. then she must get uniforms. Finally, she must meet Simon's girlfriend.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Great Story as always Karen

I can't wait to see what happens to Charlotte next.

Cathy Dee.

Ohhh a cliff hanger!

It's interresting that she ran into someone she knew berfore, I tried looking back to see what was said about Kathy but all I found in the first few chapters was a girl named Kristy. Maybe I need to look more...

I also thought that meeting someone she already knew would be a bit more tramatic for her. Oh,well every thing can't be a tragity.

Please write more and soon if you can I an so looking forward too reading more

----------
Jenna

re: Ohhh a cliff hanger!

Hi Jenna,

Ooops...you are correct. I could say that Kirsty was Kathy's nickname but I would be lying. I had it wrong in a previous part and followed on. I will correct this and the previous parts.

Thank you for pointing it out and please accept my apologies for any confusion.

Hugs

Karen

Does the name Ciff ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... Hanger ring a bell !? I would guess that indeed Miss Wilson will recognize her former boyfriend. How could you possibly waste an ending like this? GREAT WORK!

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Very Good Karen

Another wonderful chapter to this excellent story. Looking forward to the next chapter.

thank-you,

Richard

DPOE 11

Good job Karen. Your such a romantic. Cliff hangers where have we heard of them?

Hugs
Joni

DPOE 11

Hi Karen
I'm truelly loving this story it keeps getting better and better. I simply love your style of writing and how you love to leave us hanging with suspense and wanting more. I anxiously await the next chapter.

Sincerely,
John (dooey52)

Innocence

The story has a sort of sweetness to it, that for all her tragic origins Charlotte still has a degree of innocence about her.

Downhill Rolling !

Another magnificent episode. I find it hard to keep my feet , how does Charlotte manage ? I too would have thought that running into her old girlfriend was much more traumatic than it appears,

Holiday speeches flowing with a wet finger.
HUGS,
Sir Earle

Holiday speeches flowing with a wet finger.
HUGS,
Sir Earle

DPOE 11

Karen,

It is simultaneously delightful and infuriating to see someone capture the petty tyranny of the bureaucrat. Delightful because it is so well drawn; infuriating because it is so painfully true for those caught in the maze.

Your story continues to engage and delight!

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro:
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

sleepy eyes

It's probably because I ought to be in bed but I initially read that as "see someone capture the pretty tranny."

I continue to find each chapt

I continue to find each chapter leaving me wanting more. The story continues to be well written and thought provoking. Please continue!

jacalyn