Spell-check

Printer-friendly version
Spell-check
By
Amethyst


Howard Flockhart has the opportunity to become the girl he's always dreamed of being. But he changes more than he was counting on.

 
Disclaimer: This is all Rasufelle's fault. She came up with an idea and then practically double dared me to write it.

 


Howard Flockhart was giddy with excitement as he stepped out of the elevator on the third floor and approached the small office that he just knew would change his life forever. He stopped at the proper door and reached out almost tentatively to grab onto the door handle and his destiny. He couldn’t help but pause a moment, taking a deep breath to prepare himself. This was the doorway to his new life, and there on the frosted glass pane of the door he was about to open stenciled in gold lettering were the words, “Meredith Hinkle, Licensed Transmologist”.

“Today is the day,” he told himself as he opened the door and stepped inside. Howard had been scrimping and saving for five years now for this procedure. He had of course tried the magic transformation booths all over the city, but those were only temporary, a day at most. If a person wanted a permanent enchantment it was expensive and the appointment had to be booked months in advance because it was such a popular service since magic became the newest trend ten years ago and practically put plastic surgeons out of business. The long wait was also supposed to give the client the time to consider if the transformation was what they truly wanted. It was permanent after all, so there would be no going back.

Howard was certain that this was what he wanted. He had always wanted to be a girl, he knew deep inside that he should have been born one. And he knew exactly what girl he wanted to be. There was only one woman in his mind that had the sheer sexiness he craved in his new body. It was practically an obsession with Howard and last weekend he had splurged on a 24-hour transformation to get to truly experience being her. In anticipation, he even had the paperwork ready to legally change his name to Daisy.

It had been glorious. The body was everything he had been hoping for. She had the legs, the body, and oozed sexiness. He had even taken the time to go shopping to get some of the clothes and essentials for when he started his new life. The transmologist had after all suggested that he bring clothes suitable for once his transformation was complete. Now he was on a two-week vacation and planned to savor his chosen form until it was time to return to work.

He approached the receptionist. “Hello, I’m Howard Flockhart, and I have a two-thirty appointment.”

“Welcome Mr. Flockhart, Dr. Hinkle will be with you in a moment. Please have a seat,” the woman replied with a smile. She looked uncannily like Alice from the Resident Evil movies, right down to her slinky red dress and black leather boots. “Try to relax, she does great work, I’ve been really happy with how she did me.”

Howard tried to ignore the possible double meaning of her last comment. She looked perfect so Howard could hardly fault Dr. Hinkle’s process. He was really looking forward to this now. By the time that the receptionist called his name and sent him into the Doctor’s office, he was a bundle of nerves and excitement.

The office looked much like that of any other doctor; a big oak desk and comfy chairs for both doctor and patient and framed certificates on the walls. The only thing out of place was the large transformation booth in one corner. Dr. Hinkle was a friendly sort, standing at about five foot two and she bore a striking resemblance to Samantha from the television show Bewitched. Howard wondered if that was on purpose or just coincidence as the transmologist gave him the low-down on how this would work. “Now Howard, as you probably know, most people have enough latent magic for a transformation booth to cast temporary enchantments or transformations. But it takes someone like myself, with a large amount of magical power to make such transformations permanent. I do mean permanent, once you go through with this there is no going back.”

“I understand Doctor, I’ve thought about it a lot and this is what I’ve always wanted,” Howard quickly confirmed with no hesitation at all.

“Alright then. That booth works just like one of the booths you’d find out on the street, only I will be channeling my power into it rather than it taking the magical energy from you. You have used such booths before, correct?” Dr. Hinkle asked, just to be certain.

“Yes I have,” Howard confirmed. The booths had a massive archive of various celebrities, mythical creatures, and just about anything else that a person might want to turn into. All you had to do was type the name into the keyboard and then step into the booth. If one wasn’t picky about exact looks, they could just type female, centaur, or something else and it would make them look as they would if they had been born that way.

“Well then, let us begin. I’ll just get you to strip down to your underwear, type in what you want, and then step into the booth and I’ll provide the power,” the transmologist said with a reassuring smile as she wiggled her nose.

Howard quickly followed her instruction, his hands were shaking with excitement as he rapidly typed the name of his dream form into the keypad. Without another glance, he took a deep breath and stepped into the booth.

It was dark for a moment and then a pink mist billowed into the booth and encompassed Howard. He could feel the changes begin as a warmth spread through his body and his unwanted male features flowed into something else entirely. The feeling was enough to make his heart take flight. When it was done Howard had the strangest feeling that something was wrong. Yes, something had definitely gone south.

Where was that long brown hair that she had been expecting? The doorknob was higher than she thought it should be too, and her nose looked huge and orange. She looked down, hoping to find that perfect tanned body and those long glorious legs but instead, she found herself covered in white feathers and her legs were kind of short and orange, ending in delicate-looking webbed feet. She suddenly had the terrifying feeling that her goose was well and truly cooked.

To say that her feathers were ruffled would be an understatement. As she ducked out of the booth she was furious and suspected that there must be some sort of fowl play involved. Dr. Hinkle seemed very surprised as Howard came out of the booth. “That was the form of your dreams. Miss Flockhart? A little odd, but it takes all kinds I guess. That’s a bit of an extreme transformation, but I’m sure that you’ll take to it like a duck to water.”

“This wasn’t what I wanted at all, you quack! I wanted to be Daisy Duke!” Howard shouted in a shrill tone.

Dr. Hinkle placed her hands on her hips and glared down at Howard, it was pretty intimidating since the transmologist was not only a good foot taller than her now but also a powerful magic-user. “I can understand you being upset, but I just provide the magic. If it’s a problem with the form, that is your fault.”

“Now look here, I’m quite sure that I know what it was I wanted,” Howard said in a huff as she went to the screen in front of the keyboard to prove herself right. “See, it says right here, “Daisy… Duck?”

Poor Howard-now-Daisy had never felt so bird-brained in all of her life. Dr. Hinkle was very understanding and while she couldn’t undo the transformation, she only kept the deposit for the procedure and didn't take the remainder of her fee. She even gave Daisy the address and contact information for a support group for victims of unfortunate transformations. As she despondently waddled out of the office in the ill-fitting cut-off shorts and top she thought about attending the support group for people like her. After all, birds of a feather…

Copyright © 2021 Amethyst Gibbs
up
189 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks Ras

Amethyst's picture

It was nice to right a silly fluff piece a lot of my chapters have dealt with some serious stuff lately and I tend to get invested in my characters. I'm glad you enjoyed my take on your idea, I'm sure you would have done fine though and not run afowl of any readers ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Typos?

Daphne Xu's picture

"to right a silly fluff" and "run afowl of" -- I take it that these were deliberate, because of the story.

-- Daphne Xu

Yes they were

Amethyst's picture

I probably should have italicized them to stress that.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

It had to be...

erin's picture

...Howard. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Of course it did ;)

Amethyst's picture

I was trying to come up with the perfect name and it just hit me. :)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Oh no!

Daphne Xu's picture

Oh no! I didn't catch that one. So was it a real species change?

We'll have to wait and see what Bru thinks of this.

-- Daphne Xu

Yup, Howard ended looking

Amethyst's picture

Yup, Howard ended looking like a real-life Daisy Duck So sorta a human-duck hybrid I would guess?

Bru probably could have done something much better with this idea than I did. They're good at those shorts that kind of blindside you at the end and leave you wondering.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Not Better

Daphne Xu's picture

... just different. Maybe different.

-- Daphne Xu

that was a hoot!

oh wait, that's owls. Fun stuff.

DogSig.png

rofl

Amethyst's picture

That's terrible Dot, I love it. Glad you enjoyed the story.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Owls?

I think that can be aranged. >:-> I think we all know a famous magician who should be able to do it. And he should be able to get around the permanent thing. After all: with magic everything's possible. The catch? She'll have to deliver mail for that magician. >:->

you're welcome

Amethyst's picture

Save some thanks for Rasufelle though. I don't often write silly shorts like this, but she challenged me lol

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Fulfilling its promise...

Andrea Lena's picture

This story is indeed what it was all QUACKED up to be!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thanks Drea

Amethyst's picture

I wasn't billing it to be anything big, but I think it turned out just ducky.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Flockhart

Or should that have been Flock-heart ^_^

This is an unusual flight of fancy on your part,

Poor Howard! All this due to a Whoopsie Daisy!

I classic cautionary tail if there ever is one if you only have one chance to do it right.

I am surprised that there is not a second person in the room to line by line the goals of the procedure before proceding, shouid be mandatory really especially for a trans-species change but then we would not have a story.

snerk

Amethyst's picture

Yeah, I kind of wanted just the right name for the MC. The jokes in this aren't really subtle but it gives people something to groan of giggle about once they reach the punchline. I normally don't write shorts like this unless I'm challenged to but Ras put the idea in my head and said I should give it a try so I did.

Whoopsie Daisy, that's cute. It might have made a good alternate title for this lol

Really though, this was just something short that I rattled off in half an hour so I allowed myself to focus more on humor than world building, which isn't what I'm used to.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

*eye roll*

Snarfles's picture

Read this and seriously Quacked up

lol

Amethyst's picture

Yeah it's not my usual type of story and the puns are horrible, but I'm glad people are getting at least a bit of a laugh out of it.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Modern Education

joannebarbarella's picture

Is not all it's quacked up to be.

True

Amethyst's picture

She should have at least double-checked the spelling before walking into the booth with the reality bending magic.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Something would go south.

Daphne Xu's picture

I knew that much, because otherwise, we have no story. But... It would be just my luck to mistype the wrong thing at the wrong time. At least he didn't type "Daisy Dukes".

So will they let her go without pants now?

-- Daphne Xu

Yup

Amethyst's picture

That's why toy always proofread or have some else do it for you before stepping into the magic box. Yeah it'd kind of suck to get turned into a pair of shorts.

I assume that she'd need stuff custom-made if they didn't, though if she went around without pants people might get in a flap over it.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Clothes

Or find an interuniversal gate into the universe where Howard the Duck lived. Problem solved.

Nice "Daisy Duke" story. (Is there something shorter then Daisy Dukes?)

The Cartoons

Daphne Xu's picture

In the cartoons Donald Duck and Daisy Duck (IIRC) didn't wear pants. So might they dress like the cartoon characters?

Anything shorter than Daisy Dukes? Volleyball pants, probably. Dance bottoms and bikini bottoms?

-- Daphne Xu

You're right

Amethyst's picture

Neither wore pants in the cartoons. So she might dress like daisy from the cartoons of get some sort of shorts like that or bikini bottoms. Daisy did wear kinda short dresses, so maybe something like that with white panties underneath?

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

loved the story i needed a

loved the story i needed a good laugh.
It definitely didn't lay an egg, although Daisy will be able to now.

I'm glad that you were able

Amethyst's picture

I'm glad that you were able to get a good laugh out of it. Now I think she'll need to rethink her life and what she really wants if she's going to hatch a plan for her future. At least since the doc only kept the deposit she should have a little nest egg set aside.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Loved the irony

Should have seen it coming from the title but by then I was in the booth and it caught me. Thanks for the big laugh!

>>> Kay

Rasufelle came up with the

Amethyst's picture

Rasufelle came up with the punchline, I just made a story around it lol

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Howard the duck?

Jamie Lee's picture

Really? Howard the duck? Gads! Of all the characters which could have been chosen, Howard the duck has to be the last one ever considered.

Others have feelings too.

I could blame Rasufelle

Amethyst's picture

She came up with the idea for this story and asked me to write it, but I was the one who decided on the name Howard. I was trying to come up with a good name and then it hit me and I was giggling so bad that I couldn't not use it.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Didn't occur to me...

Daphne Xu's picture

When I read the story, "Howard the Duck" didn't occur to me when I saw the name "Howard", and it didn't even occur to me after Howard turned into the duck. Someone else had to point it out in the comments. However, "Howard Flockhart" has got to be a perfect name for the victim -- if you're into meaningful names. (The meaningful name is good and humorous here.)

-- Daphne Xu

Perfect name

Amethyst's picture

When Rasufelle came up with the idea and dared me to do it I wanted it to be as silly as she intended in our conversation, so I wanted to come up with the perfect name for the MC. The name Howard hit first and sent me into a giggle fit and then I tried thinking of a good surname. It took a few times but I finally came up with Flockhart and thought that it was hilariously ironic.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

strange.

Rose's picture

Very strange. I suppose you had fowl reasons for writing it?

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Birds of a feather

Amethyst's picture

I was just chatting with Rasufelle on Discord and she had the idea for a title and a loose plot and she just sort of dared me to write it because I had been writing so much serious stuff at the time and it was a bit emotionally draining. I needed a few good laughs and it was nice to provide my readers with a few as well.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Thought I'd

Missed a story, somehow.

Nope, I didn't.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

You'd probably remember

Amethyst's picture

You'd probably remember reading something this silly before. ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Wow

Amethyst's picture

This story is getting some love today, I'm glad that you enjoyed it. It's a bit of a departure from my usual stuff lol.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3