Nicola – the stand-in - Chapter 17

Printer-friendly version
Dancing on Thames
Nicola on Moonbeam

Sometimes life has a habit of creeping up on you and sending you careering down a different and unexpected trajectory.


Nicola – the stand-in
Chapter 17

by Louise Anne Smithson

Copyright © 2021 Louise Anne Smithson
All Rights Reserved.

 


 

Chapter 17

While I prepared our dinner, Amy went to her room where she telephoned Frank, presumably to apologise to him for the events of the previous night. By the time she emerged she was looking more of her usual confident self.

‘What was it that you wanted to talk to me about, Nikki?’ asked Amy as we sat down to eat.

I hesitated for a moment before replying, looking for the right words.

‘I’m not sure how to start,’ I replied.

‘Does it relate to your spending more time as Nicola, rather than Nicholas?'

I nodded

‘Are you beginning to wonder whether life may be better for you in the long term as Nicola?’

‘B-But how did you know, I’ve never discussed it with you,’ I replied.

Amy smiled.

‘I’ve suspected as much for some time, ever since I came back from that awards ceremony and discovered that you’d had a great weekend. You appear so much more at ease when you're a girl. The reason that we haven’t discussed it was that I was waiting for you to decide for yourself what was best for you.'

‘But I only decided myself this morning.’

‘So, does this mean that you would like to remain living and working as Nicola after we have finished filming?’

‘I must say the idea has its attractions, if only I were able to find a job and somewhere to stay, but at the moment, I’m not sure that would be feasible.’

‘I don’t think you will have too much difficulty regarding your appearance. With your hair. make-up and boobs in place you look convincing as a girl. Also, you now have enough clothes and your voice and presentation are improving all the time.’

‘Thank you, but I would still need to find a job.’

'Didn’t Frank imply that there might be an opening for you? He always employs lots of attractive young women as production assistants – it boosts his ego.’

‘I don’t think he would employ one who was transgendered though.’

‘He was happy enough to employ you as a stand-in for me, and that didn’t create any problems, quite the opposite.’

‘No. I suppose not. But he was not too happy with me when we last spoke.’

‘When I phoned him just over an hour ago, to make my grovelling apology, I did point out to him that you were not in any way involved in my misdemeanours, and the least he could do to make it up to you would be to give Nicola a three-month trial as a P.A.’

‘Really? What did he say?’

‘He said he would think about it once the current film was finished successfully and on budget. So, it will be up to you, Nikki, to use your best endeavours to present as a convincing and attractive young lady.’

‘I suppose so, but how did you know we would have this conversation this evening?
‘Sometimes other people have a clearer view of what is going on than those people most directly involved.’

~o~O~o~

Over the next four or five days of my stay in Amy’s flat I did my best to follow her advice, taking great care with my hair and makeup each morning and continuing with my voice training exercises and watching You Tube videos giving me advice on female deportment. It was the last week of June, with long warm evenings and so I also began to explore the area nearby. Once or twice I even became involved in conversations with female strangers in the park. My confidence increased as I found that nobody that I came across appeared to have any doubts about my sex. I found that I was able to deal with the majority of Amy’s fan mail without reference to her by spending a couple of hours each day, and I was happy to do so in recompense for her letting me stay in the flat.

Amy had various work commitments during most days and once or twice in the evenings, involving her manager or publicist, discussing new projects. However, she and I did enjoy a couple of meals together in the flat.

‘I could get used to this, having you around to cook my meals and look after my fan mail,’ she said on one occasion.

‘It’s the least I can do to thank you.’

‘Maybe, but I think you also deserve a treat. One of the publicity agencies that we use is hiring a cruise boat on the Thames on Wednesday night and they have sent me a couple of tickets. There is going to be food, a bar and a discotheque. Would you like to come as my partner?’

‘Won’t they be expecting you to bring a guy?’

‘Not these days, it will be quite acceptable to bring a girl-friend.’

Thanks, Amy but I don’t think I would have the confidence to go out dancing as a girl.’

‘Come on, Nikki, this will be an important part of your education. I will book a limo to take us there and back again, so you won’t need to worry about transport.’

‘But I don’t think I have anything suitable to wear to a disco.’

‘Don’t worry about that, I will loan you something suitable to wear for the evening, you could even wear the dress and shoes that I went out in last week.’

‘If I agree to go with you, I want you to promise me that you won't be involved in taking any coke or doing anything else illegal.’

She sighed.

‘I’ve already promised Frank and my manager that I won’t be seeing Rob or taking coke again. I will now do the same to you.’

‘Alright, in that case I’ll be happy to go with you.’

~o~O~o~

I hadn’t realised that getting ready to go out for the evening would be quite such a rigmarole for both Amy and I, although it was good fun, nonetheless. Amy laid out several possible outfits on her bed and together we discussed which one each of us would wear and what shoes and accessories that would go with them. We each then took a shower and proceeded to get ourselves ready. I had already washed my hair and de-fuzzed my arms, legs and armpits the day before and so this saved me some time. I was also by then quite competent at fixing my own makeup and doing my hair. As soon as I was satisfied with how I looked I presented myself at Amy’s room just as she was finishing her own preparations. As before, Amy looked absolutely stunning.

‘Wow! Just look at you Nikki, you look great,’ she said, smiling, as I entered her room.

‘Thank you, so do you,’ I replied.

She smiled.

‘We could even be sisters.’

‘I guess so.’

‘The limo is due to collect us at a quarter to seven so make sure you have everything you might need.’

I checked my handbag, there was lipstick, mascara, a compact, some tissues, my purse containing some money, my bank card and keys.

‘I think I have everything,’ I replied.

‘OK gal, let’s go and have some fun.’

~o~O~o~

The pleasure cruiser was one of those fitted out for evening parties which operated through the centre of London between Westminster Pier and Docklands and back again. These boats were especially popular during warm summer evenings with dancing on the open upper deck and tables on the lower deck with a buffet and a bar entirely funded by the host company. Amy’s manager, Geoff Kelly had reserved a table for his clients and their guests, including Amy and myself. Amy clearly knew several of those present and was soon exchanging gossip with them. I recognised a couple of faces, but they didn’t know me. The only person I did know was Julie, his assistant, who had driven me out to Croydon.

‘Hi Nicola, it’s nice to see you again,’ she said.

‘Hi Julie. May I join you?’ I asked’

Fortunately, there was an empty seat next to her, which I took.

‘Of course! Are you here to keep an eye on Amy.’

‘Not really, she has promised to keep out of trouble tonight, I’m just here as she had no-one else to bring.’

‘In that case would you like to join the dancers upstairs,’ she asked.

‘I’m not sure, Julie, I’ve never done that kind of dancing before.’

‘Come on, its Electronic Dance Music there are no rules, I’ll show you what to do.’

‘Alright then.’

Julie then addressed the whole table.

‘Nicola and I are going upstairs to dance, can someone please keep an eye on our bags while we are gone.’

There was a murmur of agreement from around the table and Julie led me by the hand upstairs.

 


In fact, the dancing on the open deck during a fine summer’s evening proved to be a lot of fun. Despite my earlier hesitation I soon found myself moving to the beat along with the other dancers, both male and female. I was now quite used to walking in heels and it didn’t take me too long to be able to dance in them as well. It wasn’t long before we were both swallowed up in the throng. After ten minutes or so I caught a glimpse of someone I recognised – it was Rob Singleton. He was some way away talking to a group on one side of the dance floor. At first I assumed I was imagining things, so I took a second look. It was certainly him and this time we exchanged glances and there was no doubt that he had also recognised me as his eyes appeared to narrow once again.

After a further ten minutes or so, Amy and several others from our table joined in the dancing. My first reaction was to look across to where I last seen Rob, but he was no longer there. Amy made her way over towards me.

‘So are you enjoying yourself, young lady?’ she asked

‘Yes, very much, thanks for inviting me,’ I replied, half truthfully.

I was still a little anxious about the appearance of Rob Singleton, although every time I looked there was no sign of him.

 


Having reached the Thames Barrier, just beyond the Greenwich Peninsula, the boat had to turn around and make its way back towards Westminster. By this time my calves were beginning to ache and so I asked Julie whether we might return downstairs and have a drink and a rest. She was happy to do so. We returned to our table and found it deserted of people, but with our drinks still in place and a pile of our handbags.

‘We’d better get ourselves some fresh drinks at the bar just in case someone has spiked them, while we’ve been away’ commented Julie.

‘Nobody would do that, surely,’ I said.

‘Don’t you believe it. It’s an important rule for any girl, never leave your handbag or your drink unattended – and it looks as if we have done both.’

Nevertheless, Julie and I were soon chatting happily with our new drinks and gradually other members of our table returned downstairs. The guys tended to form a little group next to the bar whilst the girls sat at the table where we were good-naturedly compared notes.

‘And did anyone try to hit on you tonight, Nicola?’ asked Amy, smiling.

‘There was one guy who offered to drive me home in his Porsche,’ I said. ‘But I smiled sweetly and explained that I had come with a group and already had a lift. He made his excuses and beat a rapid retreat. I think he must have tried his luck elsewhere.’

‘Yeah, he then tried it on with me, but I just told him to get lost,’ added another girl whose name I did not know.

Our good-natured conversation continued in a similar vein for the next half hour or so until I needed to make my way to the ladies washroom before the boat docked. Amy followed me there.

‘Have you seen Rob Singleton on the boat?’ I asked as I was repairing my makeup.

‘No, where?’ asked Amy sounding genuinely surprised.

‘I’m sure I saw him on the upper deck with a group of young women.’

‘That sounds like Rob, did he say anything to you?’

‘No, we weren’t close enough to talk, but I am sure it was him.’

‘I think it is just as well that I didn’t see him,’ she replied..

 


Soon after midnight the boat docked at Westminster Pier and we began to disembark. Geoffrey Kelly had offered his assistant a lift home although it was out of his way and so Amy offered her a place in the limo she had booked and which was waiting for us in Derby Gate. We were just crossing Victoria Embankment when a police car drew up.

‘Miss O’Donnell, I have reason to believe that you may be carrying illegal drugs and so under by section 23 of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 I need to examine the contents of your handbag.’

Amy sighed and then handed over her handbag.

‘You will find nothing in there. If you want to search anything else you will need to take me to a police station and involve a woman police officer.’

‘That may not be necessary,’ he said rapidly examining the contents of her bag and noticing that she was otherwise quite scantily dressed.

He then turned to Julie.

‘How about you, young lady?’

‘Am I required to show you my bag?’ she asked.

‘No, but it will save us all a lot of time if you do so, especially if you have nothing to hide.’

She handed over her bag without further comment, and he quickly examined the contents.

Finally, he turned towards me.

‘I don’t do drugs,’ I said and handed over my bag without being asked.

‘If you don’t do drugs, would you please explain what is in this,’ he said holding the corner of a plastic bag containing a white powder.

I felt a horrible sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

‘I have never seen that bag before, I did not put it there,’ I said.

‘What is your name?’

‘Nicola Stevens.’

‘And do you have any ID with you?’

‘No, I’m afraid not, I’m currently staying with Amy.’

He continued searching through my bag.

‘Can you also explain why you are in possession of a bank card in the name of Mr Nicholas Stevens.

‘It’s a long story,’ I replied.

‘Well Nicola or Nicholas Stevens, I am arresting you under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, You do not have to say anything. But, it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. Come with us please.’

As I was led away, I turned to look at Amy and Julie both looking as if they were in a state of shock.

 


 Next time: Paddinton Police Station

Thanks for the comments and corrections everyone. Feel free to keep them coming.
Louise

up
266 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

well

Maddy Bell's picture

that was obvious as soon as Rob was spotted - he's out for revenge. Maybe the police should make an effort to check on their informants - anonymous - it will be a 'reliable' source so plod know who gave the tip.


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

hopefully they dust the bag

hopefully they dust the bag for fingerprints as Rob's should be on there and not Nikki's

Evidence

Hmm, Nikki should insist that the cops take fingerprints of the drugbag and do a blood test. And it'd be intersting to know why the table was unguarded.

Another nice chapter, thx^^

Oh dear!

The bag of drugs should certainly be checked for prints. If there are none, that should arouse suspicions. Rob is on the police radar which should also help Nikki. I'm sure there is nothing illegal in a male dressing as a female, especially if Nikki explains how it came about. I'm still anxious to read the next chapter!

Handbag

Any they should dust the handbag, too.

illegal or not

i would make anything to get rob seen dead. It is fiction anyway. so why not play it out the other way too.

Good Cliff

Lots of possibilities here. I don't know how things work in the UK. Could Nicola end up in a holding cell with men? That would be bad. Is Amy somehow in a conspiracy with Rob to make Nicola look like the problem? Did Rob think he was putting the drugs in Amy's purse? The drugs tip to the police was for Amy. We'll learn more about Amy next time based on how much help she organizes for Nicola?

Now here is a turn of events

crash's picture

Of course it is obvious to all of us how the drugs got there and how the police got their tip. Poor Nikki is going to be dragged through the wringer.
Looks like some interesting times ahead for our girl.

As always I'm looking forward to see how you work this all out.

Your friend
Crash

Let's Hope

joannebarbarella's picture

The cops do their job properly, take fingerprints, etc. However, there's a good chance they will just regard it as an open-and-shut case, particularly if it's a misdemeanor. Nicola will be slapped with a fine and get a criminal record she doesn't deserve.

Rob will get his just desserts some where along the way, I'm sure.

pay

from what money he / she needs even the money from the company and a nearly rentfree place to live. This means prison. Except the companie pays nice for the news..

dear author thanks

the drug word just killed nearly the story if it already not is even fiction he / she has 2 years or more a not clean paper without do nothing. Even if it goes into the sand she is tainted.

No jobs, he she has to explain the family why not able to work. Te filmcompany will shut her him down. 2nd time negative detection.

you did a realy good job with that. even if you "fix" this some how the bad taste will stay. And i smell also a setup since amy wanted go there.

It could be also your idear to do that. both ways are dislikefull.

A lot will depend on how much

A lot will depend on how much cocaine is in the bag.
if it is big enough it could be viewed as trafficking. Also how much cash is found and if weighing scales or small bags are found.
Digital weighing scales can be very small.

‘Possession with intent’ to supply (PWITS)
https://www.lawtonslaw.co.uk/resources/possession-of-a-contr...
As she has no cocaine in her system it looks like it was not for her own use.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9388549/teen-eight-grams-cocai...
The club should have cameras that would show the bag being left unattended, Might even spot someone opens in and maybe someone putting something in it.
The bag itself would show traces of cocaine was it was used by Amy when she was using cocaine.
She was foolish to allow the police to search the bag as it had been out of her control for some time and the police themselves admitted it was a voluntary search.
Never speak to the police without your lawyer present. This applies guilty or not.
Stop and Search - Your Rights Explained - Community Legal Education
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0T0Sps6__8
I suspect the Flim company lawyers will move in a get the case handled quietly as possible.
The rule the show must go on applies here.
The main thing the film company will want to avoid is a scandal or bad publicity. These days celebs or those around them found with drugs is so common it is hardly news any more.
The arrest may force her to declare her self as transgender to avoid being placed with male prisoners.
A police doctor testing her might find high level of female hormones.

Obvious

Robertlouis's picture

It’s as clear as day who the culprit is unless Rob has inveigled Amy to do the deed, but this doesn’t strike me as that kind of story. In that case a lot of what comes next could depend on Amy showing where her loyalties lie and how she acts.

Things are certainly hotting up.

☠️