Angels can't cry in space

Printer-friendly version

Now for a little story I cooked up one night in my head, and to fellow author Sleethr, I just borrowed Bree...she kind fit the part best!!!!!

~o~O~o~

~o~O~o~

~o~O~o~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 4th, 2373
In Transit to Mars

A few months ago the Republic of the Belt and Outer Planets had broken off its alliance with United Earth and decided that some of the bases on Mars belonged to them. So the UE sent one of its newest Cruisers to enforce and keep the peace in the area. Bree was assigned to the freshly Christened vessel as a computer expert by the ship's builder and was for the most part in a non-combatant role while aboard the vessel, even though she as a Sidhe had seen tons of combat over the last Two hundred and fifty plus years of her life serving in both the military and CIA of the long passed into history US of A.

Bree or Brianna Nicole Peters or know as "Whisper" to some to hide her identity was born both a human and male then during her early teen years endured a mutation to what some call Sidhe or the more common human term 'Elves' called mutation in these cases, 'A correction'. Because in their theories or beliefs you should have been born a Sidhe, but nature or Gaea took a break, a rest and continued on with your full birth into a Sidhe at a later time of your life.

She was one of many mutated humans that had become Sidhe over the last two hundred and fifty years, but she was unique even among her race. She was a full blend of bleeding edge human nanotech and Fae, so she not only could interface directly with the ships computers...she was one giant walking computer in no uncertain terms and far more advanced than any system built by humans so far!

Bree's main task for right now was keeping the new ship's computer system ready and testing out all the interconnected systems during this shake down cruise. During most of the time she was hidden away from the crew in amongst the ships main systems behind the main armor belt along the ship's core. The ship itself was built along the lines of a corncob with sections along its armored core and gun turrets or weapon launchers of various types popping along its somewhat smooth surface.

She walked into the main computer bay, then stood there silently evaluating the system's 'health' via the large displays covering all the walls of the room, "Fascinating, missile control four is down again?" she sassed the only person in the room in a very 'Spock' like attitude.

Jody, one of the room's techs shook her head towards the Elf, "You old folks, I'll never get used to these dusty old ass jokes you all have and yours is the worst of them all! With being WELL over Two hundred years OLD!"

"Baby GIRL you are in space, so you must know your history and being a Trekker is a huge part of that!" The Sidhe laughed while taking one of the seats of the control station.

"That Trekkie or Trekker stuff again?" Jody asked while she took note of the long range sensor system suddenly being called into a larger load for the main computer with more requests for data.

"Yes Trekker, I told you to go watch the old TV show Star Trek to understand all of this!" she smiled waving over her self adjusted, self styled uniform that looked more Star Trek issue than UE issue with it blue science division color and gold rank rings on each sleeve, then add the all important Federation of Planets badge on her right breast!

"Darn crazy elves," is all Jody said back.

"That statement is illogical, we elves are Sidhe or Fae and are not 'crazy'...we are all eccentric or peculiar!" Bree gave back with ease and slipped right back into 'Spock' character with a trademark eyebrow raise!

"There you go again!" Jody laughed, but still pointed to the system screens, "We have something out there by the load C&C is calling from sensor data!"

Bree studied the displays that Jody pointed out, "Humm keep an eye on the load, spin up our combat reserves. Ready the main for combat, plus make sure that the fire control system is up and its back-ups too!"

Jody nodded back as she went to work on the task and that is when the speakers mounted all over the room crackled to life along with their headsets, "All hands this is no drill! Ship will be entering combat radius of unknown target. Target is possible Belt raider. This ship will be in combat radius within twenty minutes, nineteen seconds...RED ALERT on all decks, bring ship to battle ready, prepare for vacuum damage! All crew into battle gear!"

With that announcement Bree stood up, "I'll get into armor and then you are next when I am done!"

"Got it!" Jody yelped back in agreement and kept to her suddenly growing work load.

Bree whipped open her personal ready locker that were scattered throughout the ship that held one of her many full suits, then started to strip off her day clothes and pull on parts of the armor made for the vacuum of space in an order that had been drilled into her thorough years of practice.

The elf was done with dressing in less than three minuets, she placed her helmet on a seat back and retook her place next to Jody, "WOW I will never get over how fast you put that shat on!'

"It's shit with an 'I' and not shat with an 'A' Jody and get your gear on!" Bree shot back and waved the girl out of her seat while her hands flew across the control panels and she jacked in her own nano based connection to the system for speed.

As Jody pulled her gear free of its locker the speaker spoke again, "Five minutes, all crew should be in armor or vac suits by now! Division heads check in on your readiness!"

"Damn!' Jody hissed while pulling on her pants and boots, "I am so behind the curve!"

"Fuck them, you had to watch the panel while all the others that should be here are stuck climbing up a few decks from the core." Bree gave back and noted the back-ups were all finally online and ready, "Computer systems and back-ups all ready XO and Guns!" she said while mentally clicking her mike on.

(XO being the second in command of the ship and "guns" is the commander of fire control that aims or controls the ship's many weapon systems)

Jody just barely got back into her seat when the three others on shift showed up at the room's armored door, they took their seats and started to help out. The officer in charge of the center closed the armored door behind the last of his team, then stood behind Bree's seat and leaned down to interrupt her busy work, "Engineer Peters, I need my seat please."

"Jack I am much faster than you with the systems, you can still lead and I will follow..." she warned back.

"Bree get out of my seat and hit the jumper...now!" he barked referring to the rooms many jump seats that kept one safe during an high 'G' operations the ship might make.

"Fine sir," she sighs while pulling her nanites back, disconnecting from the ship's systems and slipped off the seats harness to get up.

As Jack took her old spot, Bree flipped open one of the rooms many jumps seats and set it not to give her anti 'G' force drugs because her Sidhe nano-enhanced body did not need them. By the time any significant 'G' force became a problem for her body, the ship would fall a part and the mostly human crew would have been long turned into mush!

As the ship came closer to the suspected target, the captain feed his radio/laser born requests for the target's ID ship wide, "This is the UE warship Yonatan Netanyahu, please Identify your ship, send us your transit documents and stop all drives to be inspected."
( This UE cruiser class was named after those who rescued others and perished while trying...Yonatan Netanyahu died on the successful rescue of a hijacked airlines passengers, "The Raid on Entebbe" 1976)

"This is the republic of the belt ship Ching Shih, we are blockading Mars. Turn away NOW or be destroyed!" the target replied identifying itself as a Belt Republic navy ship and one of the largest and they named their ships after famous pirates to instill fear or so they thought.

Even before the captain could reply, the Yonatan Netanyahu or 'Yoni' was taking hits from the other ships larger and more ranged arsenal. The solid nickel shots of a gauss cannon rang against the Yoni's armored core after blowing through several of the ships walls or decks.

"Boy when they get closer, we are in for a fight if they are pinging us now!" one of the other techs manning the room worried out about the incoming fire already striking the ship accurately at this long range and still penetrating!

"We have long range weapons too!" Just as Jack spoke the ship lurched a bit and hisses sounded off far away from this very room, "And there they go, the Cap is shooting back and they will have to fend off a dozen Hydra missiles and I bet they don't have great CID cannons like we do!"

(CID Close In Defense...aka high speed gatling cannon, or in some cases high speed spinning mirror lasers. This ship has both. Hydra missiles are multi-warheaded and each one has a dozen plus heads, that can self aim and avoid most CIDs themselves)

As the ship flew onward towards the enemy vessel the small bangs of shells or missiles became huge CLANGS that rang against the armor, then slowly the clangs changed pitch as the armor belt failed in its mission to protect and the shell or missile passed through. Each time that sound came, new sections of the ships system display went red or a compartment was shown in that same red light that told there was vacuum to space and most likely people had died from the impact.

With each sound of impact or just before it, the ship swung all about wildly and the climbing ever higher 'G' Forces played havoc with the crew being able to do its job. The captain was dodging incoming fire as best he could with the large ship, maneuvering about with 'G' forces swing in any direction in the 3D battle space, those 'Gs' might go from a regular earth normal '1' all the way up to a bone crushing '15' plus for several seconds. The armor all the crew wore took most of the brunt, but when that force passed by '20' the suit injected chemicals to help the body fight it...Bree luckily did not need any of that chemical soup and most of the ride so far was just a regular Disneyland 'E' ticket ride to her!

The clangs or slams against the armored section of the ship grew and grew as the two ships closed the distance between them, Bree watched the battle unfold via the room's many displays that cloned the same info being displayed for the ship's captain and the CIC that held 'GUNS' who was fighting the other ship and defending against its many attacks.

Bree knew instantly the battle was changing and not for the better when the far corner of the room was blown away and the room instantly vented to the vacuum of space, "Hey do you want me to go get on those damaged..." Bree was about to ask Jack the commander of this section when his whole head vanished from sight and so did most of the backside of the officer plus his chair to Jack's right.

With Jack beyond dead, Bree swung into action unbuckling her seat and then Jack's belts, then gave his body a gentle lift as the whole ship went to Zero 'G' showing that the engine was dead for now and most of the maneuvering systems with it!

As Bree slid into the chair she yelled at Joan who was in shock at seeing two people in her room, very close people to her life just die in one seconded...one second there, next gone and nothing could help wounds that bad. "Joan mind your panel and get back to work!" Bree barked and finally had to smack Joan's helmet to get her back to the here and now and BACK TO WORK, the tense work of rerouting major systems to get the ship back up and fighting or now surviving!

As both Bree and Joan worked hard the room's speaker crackled to life, "This is the Ching Shih surrender and prepare to be boarded, Yonatan Netanyahu surrender or be destroyed!"

Bree heard that demand from the enemy ship and worked even more feverishly on getting weapons back up any weapons or the defense guns! She took off one of her gloves to bare her skin so that her nanites could flow into the system and help speed up her interface with the ships systems. Her eyes glowed green with light as her nanites went to work. Now with a direct connection, she spotted what systems needed to be bypassed long before Joan limited by being a human and not a walking supercomputer like the Bree!

"GUNS BACK UP AND CID...If I were human I believe my response would be ‘go to hell’. If I were human Cap!" she deadpanned into her mike a line said by Spock in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, 1991.

With that information, the ship's captain and guns started firing off most of the ship's still working weapons and with being this close to the other ship...the sudden onslaught ripped it apart. But not before it fired back as best it could and one small hypervelocity shell rammed through the far armored wall in front of Bree and right into Joan's chest sitting next to her.

"Bree...Bree! I ammmmm" Joan cried out.

Bree took a second to look over at how bad Joan was hurt, but said nothing as she made sure that final volley fired from the Yoni had taken the fight out of the Ching Shih and the speaker crackling to life once more with the Ching Shih surrendering, well what was left of the Ching Shih! The immense damage Bree saw on the enemy ship's hull via the Yoni's sensor made it certain in her mind that the fight was over for now anyway.

Calls for needed help sounded out of the speaker now, or the computer panels lit up with requests, Bree added her own to the growing list, "Computer core here, we have two dead and one critically injured, injury is to chest! Need trauma team!"

After calling for help Bree was free to get up out of her seat now and help Joan, now with the ship's damage control center taking over most of the information load of her station and regulating teams to help all over the ship.

Once she floated free of her chair, she slapped the room's self-sealing system into action and the holes in the room's armor filled with self-sealing foam to close off the room from the vacuum of space.

Bree's first act was to unstrap Joan from her chair and float her body up to gain better access to body to farther aid her. After Joan was clear of her seat, Bree saw how bad off her friend was and she gulped at the sight but kept her voice steady and free of worry, "Joan I got ya and let me fit the auto-doc on your wrist and get some medical nanites into ya!"

Joan only smiled back, "I really don't feel anything?"

Bree nodded to the remark, but really knew why. Joan's body had a fist size hole blown all the way through it, right inline with her spine and chest's center. The injury was bad and if aid came quick enough she would live...'if aid came quick enough' sounded through Bree's mind over and over.

Within seconds the auto-doc beeped that it was empty and Bree tapped a new cartridge into it so it might save Joan's life. After she got the medical device refilled, Joan coughed up some blood that quickly filled her helmet in zero 'G' and there was dnager Joan might choke on the fuild. So Bree removed the helmet and placed a breather over Joan's mouth to help her.

"I feel cold...am I dying?" Joan asked weakly.

"Hey...hey the doc is working and the trauma team is coming...none of that talk now!" Bree insisted, but knew the race was on and her side was losing versus death.

"I so wanted to see my kid play with yours or those grandkids of yours...You did say we could get them all together on Mars via the Fae magic gate there..." she cried and the tears just filled in like puddles clinging to her eyes because they could not drain away in the ship's current zero 'G'.

Seeing those tears of Joan's puddle up like this reminded her of something from her teenage years back at her old private school. Bree was on a high orbital flight heading over to Europe with three other close students, they were all riding one of military space enabled dropships for security. One pair was fellow Fae, a set of Dark elf or Drow twins Rohanna and her twin Rehanna Leigh and the other was Kyley Baron who was a GOO or 'old one' to most....or just outright strange on most days.

As the ship passed into orbit and zero 'G' the crew gave the ship a bump to extend the trip a bit so the teens could play around in the weightlessness of orbit. Bree was the first one out of her seat with having done this trip a few times and she called to the others as she was already floating playfully in zero 'G', "Hey you bunch of chickens get to flying!"

The twin's slipped free of their seats next and tried to float as well as Bree did, but it was taking some practice as they really preferred life on a planet and not flying free of nature's sweet embrace inside a human craft so far from 'the earth' as in 'the dirt'...not the planet!

"I know Gaea is up here with us, but none of the other five elements are!" one twin yelped floating past Bree at speed and the elements she was referring to were the base five that all Fae had an affinity towards...Air...Fire...Wood...Water and the most important linking them all, The Earth or the realm of Gaea.

Kyley floated up out of her seat and past the Drow with the ease of someone who had certainly been in space for years, anyone looking at her would notice she knew what little movements could do and did them with practiced ease to fly about the huge cabin like a true professionals would.

"Wow Ky you are real good at this zero 'G' stuff, have you been holding out on us and been flying up here somehow without us knowing?" Bree asked the teen with huge black wings on her back, thinking that somehow the kid might be able to fly even this high!

"Nope...I have not flown up here by___self, but I have flown in space many time__in my past." she gave back in her own way that oddly most of the time told you only part of the answer!

"You had space ships back then!" Bree asked and she could tell the ship's human crew were very interested in the same question.

"Just because we had wings, magic, and gate travel. That does not mean my race did not have space travel or the ships to do so." she smiled back.

"You had space ships back on your old world?" Rohanna asked next.

"We had many things and yes to your next question that I am sure you will ask Bree. Yes we had faster than light, very much faster than light!" Kyley said taking a spot and very strangely standing in mid-air not even moving a nanometer according to Bree's internal range finder system.

"Ohhh we gotta talk about that!" Bree beamed out wanting more info and surly some part of the credit for the rediscovery of that type of high tech!

"We might someday...soon."

Bree sighed out, "Well soon," she started and then did air quotes, "Trademark...Soon with you means sometime in the next day or thousand years!"

"Correct...when you live or exist multi-dimensionally, then in or out or besides existing time...its all relative." the strange GOO teen giggled back.

One of the dropship's crew laughed at the jest not really understanding the teen's reference but laughing at the Einstein-ness of its meaning, "Ohh that was good," he laughed while wiping one of his eyes with a tissue to clear away the excess tears, "God one thing I hate about zero 'G' is my eyes fill with water so fast."

Kyley started to answer the crewman, "Yes that is common..." then drifted off like she was sadly remembering something from her past, "in space angels can't cry."

Rehanna sighed at the statement and agreed with a stereo answer with her twin, "No they can't...angels can't cry in space." both said at the same time via their shared mental link.

"What does that mean?" Bree asked all three of them.

"Pray to Gaea you never have to figure out why..." is all Rohanna gave back to her and all three seemed to get a bit sullen until the crewman told them to retake their seats for the de-orbit burn.

Joan's next words snapped Bree back to the present, "I so wanted to see them play, Tell my sooo....," she nearly whispered in a weakening voice that trailed off to nothing as the light of life went out in her eyes.

Bree tried time after time to get the auto-doc to bring Joan back, but it could not...the damage to her body was too great and death won the race.

Just a minute after Bree had given up and started to sob over Joan's floating body, the trauma team came into the room and the head medic of the team grabbed Joan's body. to make several attempts at reviving her with no luck. He pulled a large black plastic pack from his bag, "Do you or should I..." he asked Bree.

"I will do it," Bree said choking back her tears and taking the pack from his hand.

The team took time to pull Jack's body from his seat and place him into one of the bags that had a control panel on the front that when activated turned the bag into a instant deep freezer. They left right after stowing Jack's body along the far wall and strapping it in place to keep it from being thrown around the room by any high 'G' maneuvers.

Bree did the same with Joan, but took her time to make sure she was good, Bree even took time making sure that her face was clean of blood and her hair was not messy. "I am sorry Joan, but don't you worry about Kenny. I will treat him like the boy was one of mine and protect him with my life...I swear on my true name friend." she cried taking Joan's necklace off and placing it on her own neck to be sure the family treasure made it home and into the right hands without delay.

Once she had rechecked Joan for anything that should be cleaned up or kept by her for safe keeping, Bree floated her into the bag and lined Joan's face up with the bag's small viewing window. Bree zipped the bag shut and activated the sealing and freezing unit that now flashed up Joan's name, rank, and other personal information.

The ship was in shambles and the captain asked via the ships still working address system for all hands not currently assigned to give any free hands to the damage control center. Bree knew the computers were all good and nothing really was damaged that she had not already fixed, so she joined a team to keep busy and keep her mind off what had happened to her best friend of the last year plus.

She thought about what Kyley had said on the dropship so many years ago and then onto what one of the twins said a few years later to her after she had lost one other friend in combat, "There will be a time when you no longer note how old you are with birthdays, but replace that passage of time with the loss of friends."

Hours had passed by and Bree was assigned to help fix the computer stations and controls of the airlock and docking system in the main hanger of the ship. At the time she was there many damage control and salvage parties were coming and going from gutting the Ching Shih for parts before the captain blasted the hulk with a nuke to send a message to the Republic of the Belt and Outer Planets.

"You may have bigger ships in some cases, but the UE had BETTER more high tech ships, all manned with far far better crews!"

Almost two days had passed since the fight and the Yoni had just only got its own drive working within the last hour, most of the ships other repairs would take another week to make the ship ready to move back home to Earth or Lunar orbit repair docks. The UE Navy had already sent another cruiser to cover the Yoni while those repairs were made, but that sister ship was still over three days off and until it got here the Yoni would have to fight any new battles alone.

One of the last shuttles came over from the Ching Shih, then just like all the other times a warning sounded in the bay before the shuttle came in, "Shuttle docking in three minutes, prisoners onboard...security level one throughout the deck!"

The shuttle floated into the deck's air lock and it cycled in air as the shuttle itself was moved via a recently repaired crane into its bay, then its hatch slid open and the prisoners were lead into the dock. Bree's attention was on them and even more so as the captain was there to greet the last batch of prisoners in person.

As the last pack of enemy personal was shoved into the dock from the shuttle, the Gunny in charge of the ship's Marine detachment handed the captain an antique pistol, "His gun sir, he gave it most willingly at the end of my rifle." the gunny grinned evilly.

"Can I come aboard your fine ship captain?" Bree overheard a man dressed in Republic of the Belt and Outer Planets captains garb ask her ship's captain.

Bree knew that man was the captain of the Ching Shih by recognizing his voice from the threat radioed to the Yoni just before the battle began. She stood up from her job repairing the docks air handling computer and was running up on the pack of men before they even knew she was coming!

"You son of a bitch, you killed Joan and I'm gong to fuck you up!" she yelled just before smashing a fist into his face and breaking the enemy captain's nose in one fierce blow, then she kicked both of his legs out from under him with one smooth rotation of her free leg!

The gunny reacted instantly, but was far outclassed by an enraged and well trained Fae that was Bree. She easily ducked his many tries to subdue her and she bodily flung the gunny across the room to show him the error in attacking a Sidhe with her extreme training in hand to hand combat!

"Engineer Peters!" the captain yelled her way as Bree grabbed a handful of the officer's jumpsuit she was very close to killing, "BREEEE!" he yelled once more and finally got her attention while a freehand grabbed even more of the man's jumpsuit to rip the enemy captain free from her own captain's grasp.

"What?" she howled back, "you know he deserves this beating...unless you are giving me permission to LOCK him!" she said and asked if the captain was going to let her 'airlock' the man to the vacuum and cold of space.

"You can't do this, this violates the laws of war and you need to court-martial this woman!" the enemy captain screamed.

Bree's rage filled eyes looked down at the man and punched him again, "ONE, I am not one of his crew and he can't court-martial me!" she punched him again, "TWO, this beating is not against the laws of war because I am a civilian!" then she punched him one last time before dropping him to the deck, "AND THREE, I am a Sidhe, a FAE and no human ever orders us...at best they suggest and we FAE may or may not listen to their HUMAN words!"

The captain sternly gazed at the elf and what she had just done in front of him and in front of his command, "Bree get back to work, I'd normally have you confined to your state room...BUT I need your skills to fix my ship! I will surely see you fired over this mess!"

"Go ahead and try, my company is the only one that makes the computer cores needed for this line of ships and I am only one of ten personnel on the whole planet that can get them up and running...and we are all Sidhe! You can't fire me, heck you can't even get my pay docked." she spat back at the captain and went back to her job at repairing the ship so that she could get off it quicker and far, far away from this mess.

The process of repairing the Yoni took over three weeks to get her ready for a trip back home to the nearest UE repair dock, as the ship flew on its way home an other cruiser kept pace with the much slower vessel to make sure the enemy did not attack it.

Once the Yoni came into the UE Navy section of lunar orbit, she was taken under tow via four of the yards huge tugs and taken right into one of the yard's floating docks. The floating dock sent out dozens of personal in portable maneuvering packs to lock the large vessel into place and set up the extensive dock connections it would need for power and life support needs while it was being overhauled.

The whole process of docking the ship took hours and even longer for Bree in the computer core of the ship as she transferred control from shipboard computers over dockside ones for the ships repair. Then she had to back up all the data in the drives before shutting them all down with the rest of the system core.

Bree was bone tired and emotionally spent from her weeks long ordeal when she finally walked off the Yoni toting her bags and walked into bay looking for direction onward to a port shuttle that would take her over to one of the large navel stations. She instantly spotted Drow twins standing with an utterly beautiful tall blond that had four 'very obvious to any who looked' body guards one well dressed male and one equally dressed female twin to the first, Bree stepped out of the elevator that came from the zero 'G' shuttle docks to the full Earth 'G' rotating section of the mammoth space station.

She dropped her bags on the spot when one of the twins smiled her way, then she ran over to the group and wrapped the closest twin in a deep hug, "You were both right," she cried into the Drow's shoulder.

"Let me take a guess, you finally found out that angels can't cry in space?" Kyley asked softly of the crying technology enhanced Fae.

Bree sniffed back her tears just long enough to ask, "How did you know and how did you both know to come?" she asked both Kyley and the Drow twins. With knowing that in this case the twins were so close, that the pair were very much like one being rather than two separate ones.

Rohanna the more human like of the pair of Drow twins told the fellow Sidhe she was hugging, "Kyley felt your mental cries of pain, of loss and we can to try and help that need and maybe help fill that painful void if we could in anyway."

"Kyley can feel the emotions and tell what is going on with the lives of those she has touched, especially those that have touched hers like you have," Rehanna nodded in agreement.

"Let's leave this place and see how we can help you out with your burden...Let me guess once again? you made a promise to somebody who is not here in life anymore and you might need our help in fulfilling that oath?" Kyley grinned hoping to lighten her friend's burdens some, even a little bit.

"I have to get some personal items to my friend, "Bree started to tear up and she sniffed back all those bad feelings as best she could, "Joan...I have to get her son this necklace and the rings on it that have been in the family for generations,"

"Is that all, I feel it flowing off you. Bree you said something else to Joan didn't you?" Kyley asked knowing what was coming, but she had to hear it to be able to help.

"I promised Joan that her son would be treated as if he was one of my own." Bree said back choking up once more.

"Well then I guess we had all better get ready to accept a new boy into our extended families!" Rehanna and Rohanna said in stereo glee that only twins could do so well.

"I have to ask, does this boy have a father or other family?" Kyley asked gently.

"No, his dad died in an accident while building a base extension on Mars and that is where the boy is now waiting for his mom to come back...I think he does not know his mom is dead right now or if he does, Joan's only sister Angie is there to help I hope?" Bree told them all.

"Hummm I guess we better book passage to Mars or go down to home and catch a port over to Mars?" Rohanna said as her twin was already paging through a computer frame for trips up to Mars or back down to home.

"We have to go home first, I promised that my kids and hers would play on Mars together. You see I promised my name I would do that and just so that you all understand why she wanted this, her Granddad was one of the humans that fought us Fae in the last war. So she really wished to see that her son's generation knew our fellow Fae as friends!" she cried back in sadness and pride for Joan, plus her personal wish.

"Then we all have work to do and plans to make. Let's get going!" Kyley said as one of her personal guards took note of what his leader had said and hefted up Bree's huge bag with amazing ease for what appeared to be a normal human looking female.

The twins took up places next to Bree and the whole group made there way across the station's grav deck towards the elevators going down to the landing docks for earth bound shuttles. Once at the elevator they waited, but while they did a another group came up nearby them...a group of prisoners from the ship that the Yoni had just defeated, they were guarded by a small detachment of marines.

While waiting for the elevator to arrive the prisoners started talking amongst their selves and seemed content to be peaceful prisoners for the time being until one of them notice who else was standing there among the other traveler waiting for the elevator.

One prisoner whispered to one of the ship's officers, "HEY ain't that the pointy eared elf that beat up the cap?"

"That's her..." the officer shouted and most of the captured crew turned to stare at Bree and the group angrily.

Both of Kyley's personal guards stepped forward between the two packs as one of the angry men shouted, "Lets get her...guards or not!" and that man took several quick steps forward only to be greeted by the guard not carrying a bag, who back-handed him instantly before he could even think of defending himself.

The rest of the defeated ship's crew stepped forward as their shipmate's body flew several yards across the huge open space, they thought about continuing to press their attack until Kyley's other guard dropped Bree's bag to the deck and shifted form into a eight foot tall winged warrior fully clad in all silver armor.

She stepped forward giving only one quick order, "Get back from my lady or die!" she said in a firm voice, as her now free hands pulled a man sized axe from nothing.

The crew stopped their advance and stood there pondering what to do, but all that indecision ceased when the other guard shifted forms to the same thing, and he bellowed, "BACK!"

Now faced with two armed and armored warriors, the crew's bravado failed and they fell back under the protection for the marine guards that were calling even more reinforcements for a potential riot or the more outright slaughter that was coming.

Now the marines started to react to the outright show of force on what was their turf and point weapons at Kyley's two guards. With the commotion growing the prisoner were obviously looking at several new avenues of escape.

Kyley stepped forward past her guards, "Gentlemen and ladies of the outer planets... enough calm down before anyone gets hurt," she asked the crew of prisoners.

"Hey this is my detachment and have your people disarm and surrender!' the leader of the guards barked at Kyley.

"ENOUGH!" Kyley shouted while gently waving a hand and all the prisoners fell to the floor as if they were puppets with cut strings. "Now lieutenant, get your OWN personal in hand and under control or I will do the same to them...and you. Then wait for them to wake up in about fifteen minutes," she pointed out the unconscious prisoners, then waved a hand at the now arriving elevator, "we shall be gone by then...ohh and have a nice day!" she smiled evilly, but nicely!

The lieutenant nodded to Kyley fearing the very young girl that just took out over thirty people with the wave of her hand and he went back to ordering his detachment to work at containing the now unconscious prisoners before they woke up.

Kyley's guards shifted forms back to normal humans and one picked up Bree's bag as they all boarded the elevator. Bree giggled at Kyley as the doors closed, "Showing off again?" Bree was mostly laughing at the fact that none of the other waiting passengers boarded the elevator and must have been thinking, "Its safer to wait for the next one!"


~o~O~o~

~o~O~o~

~o~O~o~

Please feel free, to add a review to this story and others. As those kind words are 'cookies' that keeps that muse well fed on the 'sometimes' long breaks between stories!

this warning is for our story stealers off site, not the BC family of readers we all know and love!
Copyright © 2021 by Shadowsblade

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced,
distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including
photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods,
without the prior written permission of the Author, except in the case of
brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other
noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

well, even though you're not

well, even though you're not the original creator of whisper, I liked the story. I miss her character and i wish the original story line would have continued. The only thing I kept wondering was why Whisper didn't use her own nanites to save Joan.

here goes what I know

shadowsblade's picture

from what I know and have read
Bree's nanites are one that control computers and give her ...personal 'tactical' advantages in combat and a bit of healing. Nothing on the scale of what Joan needed at the time

Proud member of the Whateley Academy Drow clan/collective

counting losses

yeah, the older I get, the more people get added to the list. But I try to comfort myself by the fact that I have them in my heart

DogSig.png

12 in 7 years...

Snarfles's picture

Having lost 12 family members in the past 7 years, the latest a mere 2 weeks ago, I mourn the losses; but, I rejoice that I am not yet amongst them.

Nice to hear from Whisper

Well it's very nice to see Whisper return (however briefly). I might have preferred a bit more of Whisper's comedy and her using her remote diagnosis and control to try to further direct the medical nanites and aid Joan, but a good outing. Now I'm going to have to find out about Kylie as I've obviously missed something.

One of the greatest tragedies of Whateley fan fiction was Whisper being taken into cannon. What is it 10 years now and still nothing new. If you have any pull with sleethr, get Whisper de-cannonized and get Whisper in the Dark posted. I personally no longer give a s#!t about cannon as it only impedes good content rather than aiding it. Just like that big change to the CH web site screwed up it's usability.

yep

shadowsblade's picture

yep I have heard more than once that taking a fan fic into cannon even once drives lots of writers away because of a good deal of inflexibility on the part of the cannon mafia no matter what the subject/story or setting is
that is why my group(so far just me and others that might write into Heckawi someday) left it wide open with basic foundations only AND most of all not being trapped into writing in around a small campus and hidden valley like WA and others

thanks for the read

Proud member of the Whateley Academy Drow clan/collective