Gaby Book 23 ~ Ontario ~ Chapter *17*

Printer-friendly version
Book 23 full cover.JPG

 

*Chapter 17*
Lisbet Olafsdottir

 

It didn’t take long to get my documentation sorted, the longest bit was getting my student ID card made up. The picture on the plastic card wasn’t great and only vaguely looks like me and for some reason my nose stud looks like its huge, I really should’ve taken it out but what’s done is done. The rest of the stuff was timetables and other stuff related to the course and the obligatory college rule book!

Paperwork sorted Lisbet led me further into the maze of offices, classrooms and lecture theatres that make up most places of further education. I tried to keep track of our route but I was lost well before my tutor unlocked a door and ushered me into a tidy but not manically so office. There was the distinct smell of coffee, hmm smells like a dark roast, not my favourite but gift horses and all that.

“Find yourself a seat,” Lisbet suggested pointing to one of those function over form wooden framed sofas – you know the things, maybe a bit low and just enough comfort.
“Um thanks.”
“Cream, sugar?”
“Both please.”

I was still trying to find a comfortable spot on the sofa when she handed me a beaker of ‘still dark despite the creamer’ caffeine heavy beverage. She grabbed a folder from her desk then plonked herself into one of the side chairs. I nervously took a sip from the mug, a bit bitter but it took my mind off the waiting.

“So Fraulein Gabrielle Bond, or do you prefer something else?”
“Most people call me Gaby or Gabs,” I suggested.
“Works for me, so Gaby, I know what it says in here,” she waved the folder, “but facts and figures don’t tell me who you are. I like to know where my students are coming from, when I know that, we all benefit.
So tell me about Gaby Bond, what she does away from the education system, hobbies, jobs, career plans, you tell me.”

Where do you start and what do you include? It would be easy to sound like a braggart, I guess I should start with the basics.

“So I live with my parents in the Ahrtal, Mum’s a professional Fahrradrenerin with Apollinaris, Dad runs the junior team that I race for.”
“Do you enjoy that,” Lisbet interrupted, “how do you feel about your parents careers?”
“I guess I enjoy it, I’ve been riding for like ever and I’m pretty good I guess.”
“Your old head mistress mentions you are a Radrennen Weltmeisterin, that sounds more than pretty good?”
“I guess,” I allowed, “guess its in the blood.”
“So what do you think about your parents careers? Is cycling a career for you do you think?”
“Mum’s always raced, she’s been world champion twice now, it would be pretty cool to follow in her wheel tracks, she used to be a teacher before she went pro so she’s always on at me and my sister about getting a good education.”
“Your sister, you didn’t mention her before.”
“Jules, she pretty much lives with her boyfriend up in Bonn, she starts university this year.”
“Sounds like she’s quite grounded?”
“Not really, if anything she’s the black sheep, always pushing Mum and Dad’s patience.”
“You don’t?”
“Maybe sometimes,” I agreed, “I don’t mean to.”
“So apart from the cycling, what else does Gaby Bond get up to?”
“Not a lot really, me and Con run our own snack kiosk, well I guess its mostly Connie’s, her parents put up most of the money.”
“That sounds interesting, how's that going?”
“Okay I guess, we’ve been a bit ahead all summer but I guess the winter, without all the tourists will be the acid test.”
“You enjoy doing that?”
“Its okay, not sure I’d want to be cooking würst the rest of my life though.”
“So what about relaxing? The cycling and kiosk is all work, what do you do to relax?”

Good question.

“Well I coach the Tanzklub cheerleaders and go to Garde.”
“Cheerleaders I know but what is Garde?”
“Its sort of very formalised formation ‘dancing’ stuff with a sort of military base? Its difficult to describe really.”
“Like the ball room dancing?”
“More line dancing than Beethoven,” I chuckled.
“Sounds like a busy life.”
I shrugged, “I guess.”
“A little bird has suggested you sing too?”
“Well not exactly formally, me and the other Angels have got conned into doing the Weihnachts concerts a few times.”
“You like formal music?”
“Its okay, I’m more of a rock chick really, when I sing with Stefan its mostly like old school rock.”
“Stefan’s your boyfriend?”
“That’d be Max, no Stefan’s the singer with BlauHase, we’ve done a few gigs together.”
“You sing with a band?”
“Well only a few times, it was pretty cool singing at Moselfest,” I bragged.
“You sang there? I thought that was all professional bands?”
“Were you there?” I asked.
“I’m more Abba than Queen, no my neighbour was there, kept raving about some singer going by what was it now, Kirsch?”
“Gaby Erdbeere,” I suggested.
“That was it, you saw her too?”

you could pretty much see the blocks all falling into place, no doubt aided by the blush rising across my face.

“Frau Boxberg didn’t mention that in her transfer notes.”
“It was kinda after I left Silverberg,” I suggested.
“Interesting choice of name?”
“The hair,” I advised pulling my pony over my shoulder to display my now very much faded pink locks.
“Interesting colour,” she noted.
“It was only supposed to be temporary, to match my prom dress,” I told her with a sigh.
“And you are not such a fan?”
“It has got a bit old but I guess I’m sort of used to it now. I won’t get into trouble over it will I?”
“Not from me, some of the faculty might not like it but this is college not high school, as long as you turn up and do the work, how you look is your choice. On the other hand your year two placement might not go so easily if you present too, how do you say, left field.”
“Don’t think that’ll be a problem.”
“For what its worth Gaby, the pink suits you well.”
“Erm thanks Lisbet.”

 

We chatted about this and that for a bit but I guess we’d been talking for long enough, I was certainly a lot less stressed when she asked, “so is there anything you need to know before term starts?”
“Erm, I’m going to the World Championships next week, in Canada, am I gonna miss much?”
Tthe office have put a note on your file, its not every day they have someone representing the country at the highest levels,” she smiled, “no you won’t miss anything important, there’s a bit of reading and a business pop quiz but with your history you’d ace that anyway.”
“’kay, I don’t want to start on the wrong foot.”
“You’ll be fine Gaby, so you back home now?”
“Once i’ve found Mum.”
“You okay finding your way out?”
“Not really,” I admitted, “I sort of lost track on the way up.
“You’ll soon get the hang of the place, so if you go…...”

 

I emerged from a side door, much closer to Lisbet’s office than the main reception and according to my tutor I can get in this way too by swiping my ID card. That card is gonna be essential to do anything, access the building, use the library and that's only at college. it’ll also be my key to accessing all those student discounts you see advertised all over the place, wonder if they do student discount at the model shop?
That's for another day though, best find Mum now.

 

One advantage of coming with Mum is that she stumps up for dinner even if its just a visit to the cafe down at the Deutches Eck. I found a table in the shade while Mater went to order and set myself so I could watch the river traffic. There’s something quite restful about watching the barges plying the waters, I was well engrossed watching a tanker make the turn into the Mosel when Mum plonked our drinks on the table.

“So you all sorted out.”
“Yeah,” I allowed after sipping at my Sprite®.
“Did you meet your tutor then?” Mum enquired.
“Uh huh, Lisbet’s pretty cool, we talked for ages.”
“First names?”
“Its a college not kindergarten,” I spouted.
“I guess so,” she allowed, “so did you find out what you’ll be doing on the course?”

It only hit me then that despite chatting with Lisbet for best part of an hour, she’d found out all about me and I’d found out, well nothing, nada.

“Have you heard from Aunt Carol, is she coming?” I asked to avoid answering.
“She spoke to your Dad just after we left, she couldn’t get a flight today so she won’t get here until tomorrow lunch time.”
“Bummer, so Mad’ll be here a bit longer?”
“Until Thursday I’d guess, what’re you planning?”
“Nothing.”

"Hmmm.”
“How do you think she got to Germany Mum?”
“Maddy?”
“Who else?”
“No idea, I’d like to hear the how of that myself.”
“Bum, I should ring Helen, let her know we found her.”
“I’m sure the Peters will have let everyone know she’s safe,” Mum pointed out.
“I should still ring.”
“Well it’ll wait until after we’ve eaten, looks like our food’s coming now.”

 

I barely got in the door before de Vreen was on my case, “we going training or what?”
“I guess, where’s Maddy?”
“Pretending to sleep upstairs, she doesn’t say much does she?”

Doesn’t sound like the Maddy Peters I used to know, she was always the gobby one but I guess people can change, I mean just look at me.

“Probably still tired.”
“Maybe,” a clearly unconvinced Mand allowed, “so we going training?”
“What’s the rush, we don’t usually go till like four?”
“Eva wants me to go in early, there’s a do tonight.”
“Why didn’t you just say so?”
“I just did.”
“Best get ready then,” I suggested.

Mum came in as Mand departed.

“Thought you’d have the kettle on.”
“No time, we’re straight off training.”
“Guess I’ll stay with your cousin then, talking of which where is she?”
“Upstairs apparently.”
“Here, take these up with you,” she thrust a bag at me.
“What is it?”
“They had an offer on, its not like they go out of date.”
I peered into the bag, “Mu-um.”
“They are the ones you use right?”
“Yes,” I sighed.
“Just thank your Mum and take them upstairs.”
 

Maddy Bell © 06.08.2018

up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Drew is still lurking

Jamie Lee's picture

The fact that Gaby finds it embarrassing to ask or talk to Jenny about her girl needs, shows Drew is still lurking in Gaby's mind. Gaby is acting like the girl she is but still feels uncomfortable talking about, or thinking about, what girls experience each month. But it's also evident that monthlies aren't the only topic Gaby is uncomfortable discussing.

Others have feelings too.