The Girls' Changing Room - Chapter 9 - The Situation Gets Worse

Printer-friendly version
Girls’ Changing Room – Chapter 9 – The situation gets worse
by Maeryn Lamonte – Copyright © 2021
Hogwarts thumbnail.png Chapter 9 marks halfway through the story. Hold onto your seats folks.

-oOo-

“You wanted to see me professor.” Lori approached McGonagall’s desk as the rest of the class filed out for lunch.

Once the classroom was empty, McGonagall gave Lori a proper stare. “I’m glad to see you back to your usual self, Lori,” she said.

“Er, professor?”

“Do not take me for a fool Miss Scamander. I am Head Mistress of this school and very much aware of what goes on within its walls. My staff keeps me informed of pertinent information, so Professor Longbottom was good enough to tell me when he traded a flask of polyjuice potion with Miss Peasbottom, understanding that it was to be a Christmas present to you. Also Professor Mugglewump informed me of an altercation between Miss Skunk and Miss Mulrose yesterday along with Miss Mulrose’s unexpected absence from detention yesterday lunchtime.

“Now, whilst I’ll agree that such circumstantial evidence is not sufficient to draw firm conclusions, I do recall seeing a person of Miss Mulrose’s stature hiding in the shadows outside the Slytherin common room last night, only she had a somewhat feline aspect, and I know of only one person in this school to whom I have taught that particular spell. Add to that your somewhat miraculous ability to produce two very different Patronuses on the same day, I find myself doing some rudimentary mathematics and reaching the answer one might expect. The answer to two plus two is four, is it not Miss Scamander?”

“Er, yes professor.”

“Now, I’m not entirely sure what you’ve been up to over the past few hours, nor why you would choose to spend that time in Morgana Mulrose’s skin. However, from my observations this morning she seems none the worse for whatever ordeal you may have put her through and has apparently even reached an accommodation with your newest room mate, so I’m not inclined to tickle that particular sleeping dragon at present. I do, however, think it is important that we two understand one another on this matter. Do we understand each other Lori?”

“Yes professor.” Lori stared at her feet.

“I seem to remember promising you twenty-five house points for each student who successfully learnt the Patronus charm from you. Under the circumstances, it seems only fair that your brother should earn one hundred and fifty points for Ravenclaw for his quite exemplary teaching yesterday, wouldn’t you agree?”

“Yes professor.”

“You will, of course, be awarded twenty-five points for teaching him the Patronus charm in the first place.”

“Thank you professor. Were we that obvious?”

“Not at all. I’ll thank you to keep this to yourself, but your brother makes just as fetching a young lady as you do, however you should know that each full Patronus is unique to the person casting it. If Lysander had continued producing non-corporeal Patronuses as he did in the beginning, I would not have been so certain, but then he formed that magnificent phoenix. I’ll grant it has been known for someone’s Patronus to change form, but only after going through some life changing experience. Whilst I am aware that both Professor Mugglewump’s and Professor Binns’ teaching methods can be somewhat traumatic, I do not believe they count in this regard.

“Now that we have that out of the way, I’d like to return this to you.” She reached under the desk and brought out a cloak. It was as finely woven as the one Maledicta had destroyed and the lining shone silver.

“Professor McGonagall, I don’t know what to say! I thought it was beyond repair.”

“It was. This is not that cloak. However, the person who destroyed it was good enough to furnish me with the means to replace it. As before, I’m happier that it should be in your hands than his. Do you have any idea how he obtained the first one?”

“I do professor, and it won’t happen again.”

Professor McGonagall pursed her lips momentarily to hide the smile she found growing there. “I hope Miss Skunk appreciates how true a friend she has in you Lori. Perhaps she may learn the advantages of belonging to Hufflepuff at last. Very well, if you’re inclined to trust her, then I shall defer to your judgement in the matter.

“There is one more matter I would like to raise with you if you’re not too desperate to have your lunch.” Lori shook her head which Minerva took as permission to continue. “In my fire-talk with Minister Shacklebolt last night he expressed an interest in the box that once contained the Bloodstone. He felt that something could be learnt from dismantling the charms on it and he has instructed me to do just that.”

Lori felt herself go cold. “That doesn’t seem like a good idea professor. What if the box is the only way to control the stone?”

“I am of a similar mind Lori, and I told him as much last night. However, the Minister for Magic does have emergency powers during a crisis such as this present one and I am not at liberty to refuse him. Unfortunately — for the minister — the box was stolen last night; taken from under the nose of Mr Filch who I had charged with guarding it. For as long as I do not know where it is, I am justifiably unable to comply with his instructions.

“What concerns me though, is that the thief might have a mind to take the box into the mist in a misguided attempt to bring this crisis to an end.”

“Professor?”

“You were present this morning when I announced to the school that Minister Shacklebolt gave me explicit instructions not to attempt anything to dispel the mist.”

“Yes professor, but do they know what they’re dealing with?”

“They know everything I do Lori. Whether they know more remains to be seen.”

“But professor…”

“No buts young lady. You will, I hope, also recall my warning from yesterday that any student caught entering the mist will be dealt with most severely.”

“Yes professor.”

“It’s for the best, Lori. The Dark Forest is dangerous at the best of times, and these are certainly not those. Even with an invisibility cloak I’d not be inclined to venture in there myself right now.”

“Yes professor.” She turned to leave.

“Lori?”

“Yes professor?”

“I want you to take me seriously on this. You may be able to produce a Patronus in the safety of the school grounds, but it’s a lot harder to do so when you’re faced by a Dementor, and if you go into that mist you are likely to meet considerably more than just one. In full daylight they’re lethargic and may pass you by as long as you keep your feelings under control, but that invisibility cloak won’t hide you from them. What’s more, the deeper you might travel into the forest, the darker it will become and in the dark the Dementors will be a lot more dangerous — more alert, more aggressive, more able to sense your emotions. It’s not a place for a first year student Lori.”

“Yes professor.” She turned again, paused and looked back. “Professor…”

“What is it Lori?” .

Lori saw the exhaustion on McGonagall’s face and hesitated.

“Go and have some lunch, Lori, and get ready for this afternoon. Let’s see if you have your brother’s gift for teaching.”

Lori’s growling stomach decided this was a good idea. There would be better times to approach the professor. She headed for the Great Hall.

-oOo-

With her stomach filled, she headed out to the courtyard. She walked past the broken fountain to the beginning of the covered bridge. It was cold, but her new cloak kept most of the day’s chill at bay. The view from the bridge into the gorge was less spectacular than usual. No more than twenty feet away, the mist sliced the bridge in two, curling underneath the supports and hiding the depths below in a milky haze.

Lori spotted something partially obscured by the mist just at the point where it began, and headed towards it to try and see what it was. As she approached she made out what looked like a large pile of of old clothes, which rather unexpectedly climbed to its feet.

“Don’t come no closer,” Hagrid called. “Oh, hello Lori. What’re you doing out here.”

“I was looking for a little peace and quiet,” Lori called back across the few feet that separated them. “I saw you sitting there and wondered if you were all right.” Not quite the truth, but certainly kinder.

Hagrid closed much of the space separating them. “Oh I’m fine,” he said. “The cold don’t affect me none.”

“It must be hard not being able to get to your home though.”

“Oh, tha’ don’t bother me none. Got me a comfy enough place to sleep in the Great Hall, and there ain’t a lot for me to do right now, so I don’t need to get at my stuff.”

“Even so…”

“Well, th’ hardest thing is keeping busy. I mean I gets to patrol around th’ castle between lessons but, well I feel so… useless. All them poor critters in th’ lake and forest having to contend with this mist and th’ Dementors an’ all, and here’s me stuck here where I can’t do nothing to help.”

“I feel the same way about my friend Anneka and all the other students in the infirmary. I just wish there was something I could do.”

“I’m sure you done plenty. I hear you can cast a Patronus now. That’s something that is. Even Harry Potter didn’t master that till his third year. Would you mind showing me?”

Lori smiled and lined herself up. She wasn’t so far from where her father had spoken to her of his love and acceptance and the memories came easily. She sent the spectral unicorn running across the bridge. From the brilliant light it gave off they could still see it half a mile into the mist.

“Aw, that’s a beaut that is. An’ a unicorn too. Powerful Patronus that Lori. I wanna thank you for that. It’s proper lifted my mood.”

“Perhaps you shouldn’t spend so much time sitting right next to a mist full of Dementors then you stupid old lumox.” Professor Sprout said from right behind Lori, making her jump. “I hope that thing doesn’t make it through to the other side of the forest. I don’t know what Shacklebolt would say after telling Professor McGonagall not to try anything.”

“Do you think it will?” Lori asked. “I didn’t think. Oh, I’m so sorry!”

“I wouldn’t worry about it.” Sprout offered up her wrinkled smile. “I seriously doubt it’ll make it that far, but I’d pay a few galleons to see the looks on those ministry men’s faces if it did.

“Anyway, we’re about ready for Miss Mitchell’s memorial. Hagrid, why don’t you join us? I’m sure the bridge will look after itself for a few short minutes.”

-oOo-

The commemoration was a simple affair, conducted in the larger courtyard near Merlin’s Gate, out where the flying lessons took place. The pale body of the young teacher had been dressed in a simple white shift and lay in an open coffin, which in turn lay on top of an open carriage.

“Please gather round everyone,” Professor McGonagall said, attracting the attention of the small crowd. All the teachers were present along with a fair proportion of the student body with roughly equal numbers represented from each of the houses. McGonagall addressed her words to the students in particular. “I am touched to see so many of you come to pay your last respects to a teacher you have known for such a short time. Considering how many students are currently in the infirmary, your numbers speak eloquently of the high regard you all had for Miss Mitchell.

“In a moment, I shall invite you all to approach the coffin where I will say a few words. I will insist that you all to stay away from the front of the carriage, and fair warning, it is quite likely that you will see something unusual and a little unsettling appear there. It is nothing to be alarmed about and you are in no danger. I’ll be quite happy to explain to anyone who requests it after we have said out farewells to Miss Mitchell. Now if you’ll gather round…”

Lori had caught sight of her brother and moved to join him. Together they approached the carriage and looked in on the mortal remains of Hogwarts’ youngest teacher.

“What do you think the unsettling bit is going to be?” Lye whispered. “Maybe her ghost decided to stay?”

“Actually, I think it’s more likely to be that.” Lori nodded towards the front of the carriage where a single dark creature stood. It looked like an emaciated horse, nothing more than skin stretched over a skeleton, but with large bat-like wings.

“Oh, of course. Thestral. They don't look as scary as I imagined after Mum's description."

Lori’s agreed. He thought back to the first day of school when her mother had taken them to see the thestral herd. Even though they’d not been able to see them back then, she’d described them accurately enough that their first sight of one wasn’t the least bit unnerving for her or her brother.

The same couldn’t be said for many of their schoolmates though. Lori recalled the incident with the two girls at the beginning of term and looked around to see if they were present. They weren’t, but the expressions on many of the faces about her looked quite similar.

“You can see why people freak out over them, can’t you?” Lysander added.

“Mum said they were really gentle when you got to know them. Shows you can’t judge someone by what they look like.”

“I guess you’d know about that more than most.”

McGonagall looked about her and the general chatter that had picked up as the thestral became visible died down. She spoke a few words which were well meant but unmemorable, then sent the thestral and its burden off through the gate and into the mist.

A fair number of the students turned to Professor McGonagall for the promised explanation. Meanwhile, Professor Sprout caught Lori’s eye and waved her over, just as Professor Flitwick did the same to her brother.

“Catch you in a little while,” Lysander said and went to talk to his head of house.

“Will it be all-right?” Lori asked “The thestral I mean, in the mist.”

“The herd lives in the forest Lori. They’ve continued to live there all the while the mist has been here and it doesn’t seem to bother them. They are extremely magical creatures, so that doesn’t surprise me in the least, though I’m less certain why the Dementors don’t seem to cause them any grief.

“Anyway, are you ready for what’s coming next? I was hoping you might win a few house points for Hufflepuff? I have a wager with Professor Flitwick that you’ll outshine your brother today.”

“I hope you didn’t bet too much professor; my brother is a really good teacher.”

“I know. I was here yesterday.”

“Oh no! Does everyone know Lysander put on my skirt and pretended to be me?”

“What? I didn’t know that!” said Hagrid who was standing nearby.

“Please keep it to yourself or he’ll kill me.”

“The staff aren’t saying anything Lori,” Professor Sprout reassured her, “but you have to realise that every one of us who saw you produce that unicorn yesterday morning would have figured out what was going on the moment Lysander let loose that lovely phoenix of his. I imagine some of the older students will work it out this afternoon too.” Professor Sprout chuckled. “If he wants to keep it to himself he’s going to have to swap clothes with you for this afternoon’s session as well.”

“I’d better go and talk to him.”

“Of course dear. Go have some fun.”

“What about your wager?”

“Lori, that’s the last thing you should be worried about. Relax and enjoy yourself”

Lori wandered across to her brother, feeling more than a little bothered.

“Hey Lye,” she said.

“Hey Lori,” he replied. “Don’t look so worried. You’ll do fine.”

“You do know what’s going to happen when they see the two of us produce Patronuses out there don’t you?

“Professor Flitwick did mention it, yes.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Hey it’s all good.”

“We can tell them I panicked. I’ve been worried about Anneka and the thought of going out in front of everyone was too much. That you only did it for me. I mean that part’s true anyway.”

“No, let’s not tell them anything. I’d rather not have it sound like we’re making excuses. If anyone does ask, you can say you asked me to cover for you if you really want to, but it doesn’t really matter. What say we give them a bit of a show?”

“What d’you have in mind?”

He whispered into her ear. She smiled and nodded, then gave him a hug and peck on the cheek.

“Sorry,” she said. “Kind of felt right. Hope it wasn’t too weird for you.”

He smiled and kissed her back on her cheek. “About as weird as that. Come on, let’s show them how Scamander’s roll.” He grabbed her hand and dragged her forward in front of the gathering crowd of students. “Hello Hogwarts,” he shouted, stepping in front of Professor McGonagall. “I’m Lye Scamander and this is my identical twin sister Lori. We’re here to teach you to do this.”

Together they swept their wands into the newly familiar pattern. At the last moment they crossed wands and shouted in perfect unison, “Expecto patronum!”

It was a whole new best memory for both of them, standing in front of everyone and declaring their unity. Lori’s unicorn leapt out in front of her brother and reared while his phoenix swept around across her field of vision, circled just above her head and flew low over her unicorn as the two Patronuses charged forward.

“Lye!” she shouted. There were times when their twin connection clicked and this was one of them. She twisted her wand through a complicated shape she’d read earlier in the day, Lysander following exactly, feeling her intent almost as though it were his own. Once more in unison they shouted, “Unesco patronum!”

The phoenix dropped a few feet and merged with the unicorn, growing as it did and transforming it into a giant horned Pegasus with flaming wings. It soared into the sky, circling above them, rising higher and higher, dispelling the mist until a circle of blue appeared above their heads.

The whole school cheered. Lye and Lori stared at each other, breathless with elation.

“Lori, what was that?” Lye asked.

“One of the most complicated spells you can possibly cast with a Patronus,” Professor McGonagall said looking severely at the two of them. “Also one of the most dangerous, and I’d like to know where the two of you learnt it.”

“It was all me professor,” Lori said. “I… It’s just that sometimes Lye and me, we have this thing where we are totally in sync. I only just read about that spell today and I had no intention of trying it, but then we clicked and I just knew it would work, so…”

“Minerva.” Professor Flitwick stood nearby surreptitiously pointing upwards.

They all followed his finger and saw three brooms descending through the hole in the mist. The lead was ridden by the distinctive figure of Kingsley Shacklebolt.”

“Minister,” McGonagall called a greeting as he came in for a landing. “This is unexpected.”

“I thought I made myself quite clear, Minerva. You were not to attempt tackling the mist from inside Hogwarts.”

“There has been no such attempt minister. I…”

“What do you call that then?” He indicated the hole overhead, already noticeably smaller.

“That, I believe, was an accident, minister. I don’t know if you’ve already met Lori and Lysander Scamander. They are the youngest students at Hogwarts ever to produce a full Patronus, and just now they managed to combine them with the effect you just saw.”

“How on Earth…”

“Lori was just attempting to explain.” McGonagall looked expectantly at the young girl.

“Yes minister. It wasn’t planned…”

“Minister.” One of the two wizards who’d flown in with Kingsley pointed up at the shrinking circle of blue above them. “You should leave.”

“Whatever it was, young lady,” Shacklebolt turned his intense glare on Lori, “I do not want to see it repeated. Do you understand?”

“Yes sir, but…”

“There will be no arguments, Miss Scamander…”

“No sir, but do you have a plan, sir?”

“We’re working on it. Don’t worry, we’ll get you all out.”

“But the sick students sir…”

“Are receiving the best possible care. These two wizards are from St Mungo’s and have volunteered to stay and help Madam Pomfrey. Now your actions may have provided us with this brief window, but you must not attempt that spell again…”

“Minister!” The hole was almost closed.

“Professor McGonagall will explain why.” Then to McGonagall, “Sorry I can’t stay longer Minerva. It’s sheer luck that we were nearby when the hole opened up.” With that he launched his broom almost vertically upwards, disappearing through the hole in the mist just as it closed about him.

“Your explanation will have to wait, young lady. I need to see these two gentlemen to the infirmary, and you need to teach your classmates how to produce an ordinary Patronus. Lori, do you have any idea what might have happened if that spell had gone wrong?”

“I did read that bit professor. As I say, I had no intention of casting it, but then when our Patronuses came out together like that, I knew it would work. I wouldn’t have tried it if I hadn’t been absolutely certain…”

“Enough! Nothing fancy, understand? Well, I mean nothing more fancy than a straightforward Patronus which is quite impressive without the embellishments. You’ll be teaching separate groups, so you shouldn’t have any more opportunity for showing off. Now get on with you.”

The professor led away the two new arrivals and Professors Flitwick and Sprout organised two groups eager to have a go at producing a Patronus.

McGonagall needn’t have worried. Both Lori and Lysander were kept busy all afternoon and both had reached a point beyond exhaustion by the time the session reached its end. Lysander succeeded in teaching four more students to cast their own Patronuses, of which half were non-corporeal. Lori’s successes totalled seven with only three emerging without shape.

When the teachers finally announced the end of the day, the twins flopped down on the cold, stone-hard ground and leaned against each other’s backs.

“Well done Lori, a fair win.”

“Not so much. I doubt I’d have done as well if I’d spent all yesterday afternoon doing the same thing.”

“You still beat my first day’s score.”

“And you’re still ahead of me by three.”

“I never knew you were so competitive.”

“I’m not.” Lori sat away from her brother, which he anticipated. “I’m trying to show you that today was at least as much a win for you, if not more.”

“I’m too tired to argue with you. Join us on the Ravenclaw table for dinner?”

“I’d love to, but I’m guessing what’s left of Hufflepuff will want me to stay with them.”

“Fine. I plan to head for my bed as soon as I’m done eating, so catch up tomorrow?”

“You bet.”

-oOo-

The two doctors had insisted on a complete tour and had spent some time discussing Madam Pomfrey’s treatments, making their own suggestions. Professor McGonagall managed to steer them back to the Great Hall while dinner was still being served, but only just. By then both Lori and Lysander had gone to their beds. It would have been good to have that chat with the Scamanders, but the morning would be quite soon enough for the questions she had for them. The condition of the sick students had her worried, as did Madam Pomfrey’s report, but there was little enough she could do to change either. The best she could manage was to take advantage of the opportunity for an early night herself. She doubted she’d get much sleep, but at least it would be more restful than patrolling the castle.

Lori had trouble sleeping too. After tossing and turning for nearly an hour she gave up and climbed out of bed. Making sure she had her slippers and dressing gown on this time, she climbed onto her desk and stared out the window.

The moon was close to full, suffusing the mist with an opalescent glow. Within it she could see the dim shapes of Dementors colliding with the wards around the school. As before, with every impact a faint wisp of fog made it through and drifted towards the castle. Lori was tired, but she reached into her happy place and sent a whispered command to her Patronus, which obediently appeared and charged off into the mist, scattering shadowy figures in all directions.

Ten minutes later they were back, continuing their assault.

Lori readied her wand, but a hand touched her leg. She looked down to see Professor Sprout waving for her to follow.

“Lori, if it were as simple as that don’t you think we’d all be doing the same?” Sprout said once they’d reached the common room. “No witch or wizard alive could keep that up through the night.”

She led the young girl through to the common room and busied herself making two mugs of cocoa, one of which she passed across. “Here, this’ll help. I imagine you’ll feel a little drained even after casting it just the once. Don’t you remember how exhausted you and your brother felt when you’d finished an afternoon teaching it? Lori, I know you're worried for your friends, but there’s no sense in putting yourself in a bed next to them.”

“There must be something we can do. We can’t just sit around and watch.”

“We’re not, Lori. You heard the minister. They’re working on the problem.”

“What I heard was they don’t know what to do.”

“And there are a lot of them, all more experienced than you Lori. I’m sorry to put it this bluntly, but if they can’t figure out what to do, what makes you think you can?”

Lori had her legs tucked up close to her. She breathed in the restorative smell of her cocoa, then blew across it to cool it. “Didn’t Professor McGonagall say something about not underestimating students?”

Professor Sprout chuckled. “She did, and you really surprised us all with that Patronus of yours. Between you and me, I think Professor Mugglewump was a little jealous. This isn’t a matter of natural ability though Lori, and in situations such as this, nothing can replace the years of study and experience those men and women possess.”

Lori sipped at her drink and watched the fire. She considered telling the professor what she knew, but so far neither Professor McGonagall nor Minister Shacklebolt had taken her seriously enough to let her speak. What if Sprout was the same? Worse, what if she confiscated the stone chest and took it to McGonagall? As far as she was aware, it was the only way to stop this curse and she couldn’t afford to put it in the headmistress’s hands where she would be compelled to take it apart.

But that left her as the only way of making things right, and both Professors McGonagall and Sprout had made good points about her inexperience. If she were to venture into the dark forest and fail, then no-one would know about the chest. Worse, it would be lost in the mist.

She thought about asking McGonagall to confront Maledicta, but he would just deny it. There were rules about when veritaserum could be used which were much more restrictive when it came to students, so there would be no way to force the answer out of him.

Professor Sprout heaved herself out of her chair. “Well, if it’s all the same to you, I’m heading for my bed. Don’t stay up too late now.”

She shuffled off to her bedroom leaving Lori to her private musings. More out of curiosity than any real expectation Lori pulled out her wand. “Axio sanguinum lapis,” she said quietly. She could think of all sorts of reasons why the spell might fail so she wasn’t disappointed when nothing happened. At least not too much.

She finished the last of her drink and headed for bed herself. Not only had the cocoa restored her spirit, it had also mellowed her mood. McGonagall would most likely call for a meeting with her and Lysander in the morning. Maybe she could ask about the stone box then, assuming she was awake enough to think. She cast one last worried look out the window and climbed into bed. Sleep followed close behind.

-oOo-

“Attention students.” It wasn’t McGonagall but Professor Flitwick standing on a stack of books who addressed the school from behind the lectern. His usually cheerful face was haggard, distressed, bordering on tearful. The hall fell silent without the usual whispers and murmurs trailing off. Lori felt a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. “It is my very sad duty to inform you that, despite the very best efforts of Madam Pomfrey and the two Healers from St Mungo’s who arrived yesterday, last night two of your fellow students passed away in their sleep.”

A wave of gasps washed across the Great Hall.

“Their names,” Flitwick raised his voice above the commotion bringing it back to order, “are Gertie Warrington from Hufflepuff house and Marietta Lynch from Ravenclaw.”

Hortensia’s expression changed from shocked to stunned. Lori placed her hand on her friend’s arm.

“Gertie was one of my room-mates last term,” Hortensia whispered. “I wasn’t very nice to her.”

Lori squeezed gently. There wasn’t much else she could do. Flitwick cleared his throat.

“In addition to this, I am distressed to have to inform you that Professor McGonagall did not wake from her sleep this morning, and has also succumbed to the effects of the mist.”

The last few words of his announcement disappeared into the outcry that erupted from the student tables. Professor Flitwick stood composed and silent behind the lectern, waiting for order to reassert itself. It took several minutes.

“In light of these sad events,” he continued, “there will be no lessons today. Those of you who put your names forward to help yesterday, or who might wish to do so now, please remain in the hall after breakfast and the teachers will make their ways around to you. This is purely voluntary and if you would prefer not to help in this manner, please leave the Great Hall, however, you are still required to remain within the bounds of the castle. It is now more important than ever that none of you attempts to enter the mist.

“This is an awful day for the school. Not since the Battle of Hogwarts have we lost a student. If any of you wish to speak to a member of staff, please see your head of house.”

He clambered down from his perch and stepped away from the lectern. The hall immediately swelled with animated discussion.

Lori looked around her and caught sight of Professor Sprout busily organising an orderly cue from the Hufflepuff students, almost her entire house joining the line to speak with her. Professor Flitwick was doing the same on the Ravenclaw table but was considerably less inundated. Lori waited till he’d seen his last student and walked over to the Ravenclaw table.

“Miss Scamander,” the diminutive professor said as she approached. “Wouldn’t you rather speak to Professor Sprout? Ah, no, I see. Very well, do go ahead.”

“Professor, please, what happened to Professor McGonagall?”

“Er, I’m not sure it’s appropriate for me to speak with you about a member of staff…”

“Sir, she seemed fine yesterday. I mean she told me last term that her father was a Muggle, so I suppose it’s more surprising that she’s been all right this long.”

“She’s a very powerful witch, Lori. She has been casting her own protection spells, but evidently last night they weren’t enough.”

“I saw the Dementors attacking the barrier in force last night.”

“It’s possible that might be the cause of both Professor McGonagall’s illness and the two girls’ tragic deaths.”

“What can you tell me about the other sick students?”

“Erm, they’re receiving the best possible care, Lori. If you’d like to help I’m sure we could use…”

“No, it’s… It’s my friend Anneka. Anneka Peasbottom. She fell ill the first night back. I want to know if she’s getting better or worse.”

“I’m afraid I don’t know about any specific patient Lori. Your friend…”

“They’re all getting worse though, aren’t they? Last night when the Dementors attacked the barrier…”

“None of them got through, I can assure you…”

“But the mist did. Every time a Dementor hits the barrier a little more mist gets through. Gertie was Muggle-born, was Marietta as well?”

“Er, er…” The alarm in Flitwick’s face grew with each new statement, especially the last question.

“I suppose that’s enough of an answer. Thank you professor.” Lori stood and turned towards the exit.

“Lori…” Flitwick called after her, but a new group of Ravenclaw students chose that moment to approach. Lori made good her escape.

-oOo-

Professor Sprout saw Lori leave but, surrounded as she was by a crowd of distressed Hufflepuffs, she couldn’t follow immediately. It took her half an hour to settle them all, after which she set out in search of the young girl.

She didn’t relish the idea of searching the entire castle, not with her aching bones, but fortunately age had a tendency of offsetting fading strength with growing wisdom, so she was more relieved than surprised to find Lori in the first place she looked, sitting on the broken fountain by the clock-tower.

“Professor McGonagall mentioned that you’ve come here once or twice when you’ve been troubled,” she said, announcing her presence. “I don’t actually recall seeing you here in all the time I’ve known you, but here you are.”

The edge of the fountain was a little high for Pomona’s short legs and she didn’t have the energy to hop up beside the girl, so instead she leaned on the broken edge, arms locked, and gazed down at the fish swimming in the shallow water.

“Everything’s getting worse, isn’t it?” Lori murmured. “The students are getting worse and now Professor McGonagal…”

“Things often have to get worse before they get better,” Professor Sprout replied, “and you spoke to Minister Shacklebolt yesterday, didn’t you? You know the ministry are working on a solution.”

“But what if they don’t know what they’re doing? I mean the two doctors who came with the minister stayed, so you’d have thought the sick students would start getting better, wouldn’t you? Instead two of them are dead and now Professor McGonagall is sick.”

“Lori, if anyone knows how to solve this, it’s the ministry wizards. You have to give them a little time and have faith that they’ll sort things out.”

“What’s Mors Mundani?”

Professor Sprout knew her Latin as well as any of the professors at Hogwarts. She hadn’t heard the term used for anything specific before, but she knew what it meant. “Where did you hear that?” She asked, trying to keep her tone light.

Lori shook her head dismissively. “I overheard Raphael Maledicta say it to Morgana Mulrose a couple of days ago,” she said. “Then he said something like, ‘First the mudbloods then the half-bloods.’”

“Did he say anything else that you recall?”

“He said it had something to do with the Bloodstone and the mist.”

“The Bloodstone…” Pomona pulled at her lower lip. “I can’t say I’ve heard of that either.”

“Professor McGonagall had. She showed me a picture of it in one of her books. I was watching when Raphael stole it last term. When he was talking to Morgana the other day, he said it was what caused the mist.”

“You seem to know an awful lot about this.”

“Professor McGonagall asked me to keep an eye on Raphael.”

“No dear, I think you’re mistaken. Minerva would never ask a student to do anything that might put them in harms way. Especially not a first year.”

Lori gave her head of house a sideways glance. She knew professor McGonagall had been head of Gryffindor before the duties of headmistress forced her to take a more impartial stand. Perhaps there was something in the house thing after all. Maybe the Gryffindor in McGonagall made her more inclined to make decisions involving risk, whereas the Hufflepuff in Professor Sprout meant she was more concerned about her charges’ well-being.

Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to keep talking about what she and the headmistress had been doing.

“I miss Anneka,” Lori said, changing the subject completely.

“I’m sure you do, dear.” Professor Sprout put a comforting hand on Lori’s shoulder.

“Isn’t there any way I could see her, just for a minute?”

“I’m sorry sweetheart. If I let you see your friend then everyone in the school would want permission to visit their sick friends. They need to rest and the doctors need peace and quite to work.”

“It would just make me feel so much better if I could see that she was all right.”

Pomona sighed deeply. “You’re putting me in a very difficult position Lori.” She paused and looked at the girl’s slumped shoulders, her tear streaked cheeks. “I probably shouldn’t do this — no, I definitely shouldn’t do this — but come with me.”

Lori’s eyes lit up with a glimmer of hope. "Thank you professor," she said.

"You'll thank me by not saying anything about this to anyone. If just one of your friends finds out there’ll be a stampede."

-oOo-

Back in the Hufflepuff common room, eighteen out of the twenty-five girls’ dormitories had signs hanging on the doors warning students not to disturb those within. Professor Sprout led Lori to a door almost opposite that of her own dorm and knocked gently.

A green robed wizard opened a door several doors down and looked across at them. “Professor Sprout,” the man said in mild surprise. “How my I help?”

“This is Lori Scamander,” the professor responded. “I’d like to her to be allowed to visit Anneka Peasbottom.”

The man’s eyebrows shot up. He glanced at Lori and back at the professor. “I suppose there’s no harm, as long as this is a one-off, but keep it short.”

“Much appreciated, doctor,” Professor Sprout said and pushed the door open. “You have ten minutes Lori, no longer.”

“Thank you,” Lori said and slipped into the room.

The place was unnaturally still, quiet despite the presence of a girl in each of the five beds. Lori spotted Anneka’s long blond hair at once and tiptoed over to her.

Her friend’s complexion was pale and her skin cold to the touch. If it hadn’t been for the shallow rise and fall of her chest, Lori might have suspected the worst. She brushed an errant lock of hair out of Anneka’s face.

“Hey beautiful,” she said, feeling tears prick her eyes. “I miss you…

“Which is stupid, I know, because it’s on been a couple of days…

“But so much has happened. It feels like forever, and I really need to talk to someone…”

Anneka’s silence felt vaguely reproachful.

“Yeah, I know there are other people I could talk to, but you get me. You understood me the first moment we met. I never realised how much having you around to talk to meant to me until you weren’t there anymore…

“…

“Everything’s getting so much worse, Anni, and I don’t know what to do. As far as I can tell every half-blood and Muggle born is sick now, including Professor McGonagall, and this morning they announced that Gertie Warrington died, along with Marietta Lynch from Ravenclaw…

“I mean if even McGonagall can’t resist this sickness, then what chance does anyone else have…?

“And now people have started dying, I’m just so scared for you. I know that’s selfish; I know there are hundreds of others in the same boat with you, but I don’t know what I’d do if I lost you…

“…

“…

“…

“McGonagall had me doing all sorts. I mean you remember last year with the cat senses thing when I followed Maledicta?”

If Anneka recalled, she wasn’t letting on.

“She had me doing other stuff like that. Raphael was going after the box the Bloodstone came in so the professor sent me to get it before he could…

“Then she told me to keep hold of it, because the ministry wanted her to take it apart to find out what it did, and that’s a crazy bad idea because it’s pretty much the only thing that can stop this mist. So, she told me not to give it to her, otherwise she’d have to do what that Minister Shacklebolt told her and dismantle it.

“Raphael told me, you see. He said that his dad is part of some secret group of wizards who got hold of a journal written by the guy who built Azkaban back in the fifteenth century. It’s got tons of stuff in it about where Dementors come from and how to control them and the mist from the stone. According to the journal, the only way to stop the Bloodstone is to put it back in the box…

“But McGonagall told me not to go looking for the stone, because now it’ll be guarded by Dementors — worse than that, if they’re the original Dementors, they’ll suck the life out of you instead of your soul…

“Mind you, I have this feeling that losing your soul is very much a fate worse than death, so maybe the original sort aren’t so bad.

“Still, McGonagall made me promise not to try anything, that what’s in the middle of the dark forest is scary enough that even the most powerful wizards in the world would think twice before facing them, let alone a first year like me…

“But the thing is, who else is there? The Ministry knows about the stone because it’s been kept hidden and safe pretty much since it was found in Azkaban, but they don’t know about the journal, so they don’t know what it’s capable of or how to control it. If I tell them, they’re hardly likely to believe me when I say I overheard it from the one person in school who’s really got it in for me, and if they get their hands on the box, they’ll probably wreck it and then where will we be?”

Anneka didn’t seem to have an answer.

“And now that McGonagall’s gone, there’s no teacher I can really talk to. Sprout’s all about keeping me safe, and I expect Professor Longbottom would be the same. I mean I know he was a hero in the Battle of Hogwarts, but both my mum and dad agree he wasn’t all that special in his first year, and that’s going to be how he looks at me, isn’t it?”

Anneka’s silence felt like agreement.

“No-one else would take me seriously, Mugglewump in particular. If he had his way, he’d have me locked up…

“I mean it’s not as if this is some half overheard, half imagined fantasy of mine. Maledicta told me right to my face. But who’s going to believe that?”

Anneka’s continued silence felt like scepticism.

“I kind of used your Christmas present Anni. It felt really important to find out what Raphael knew about what was going on, and Hortensia mentioned that Raphael fancies Morgana Mulrose — you know Hortensia’s really quite nice when you get to know her?”

Unsurprisingly, Anneka did not have an opinion on the matter.

“So anyway, she — Hortensia I mean — helped me get Morgana out of the way so I could use some of her hair to add to the polyjuice potion and I took her place for a few hours.

"What I didn’t expect was how much of an anticlimax it would be turning into an actual girl. I know you told me there wasn’t much to it, but it’s something I’ve felt I’ve needed all my life, and when it finally happened… nothing.”

Anneka reserved judgement.

“I mean almost nothing. There were obviously some differences, like how much neater it felt not having anything between my legs and how much more intense my emotions were.

"Walking felt odd too, like my legs were further apart, sort of, but that might just have been because of being Morgana. You know how gangly she is?"

Anneka may well have known, but she kept her peace.

“I’ve tried to figure out why it didn’t seem to matter. I mean I’ve lived most of my life feeling like I needed to change, but the moment I got what I was looking for felt sort of… meh, you know?

“It’s like what I’ve had these past few months since coming to Hogwarts is enough. You know, people see me like a girl, they treat me like a girl and it’s like that’s what I needed all along, not so much to actually be a girl, but to have other people treat me like one. Does that make sense?”

Anneka kept her thoughts to herself.

“You know, this would be a lot easier if you’d talk back to me. I wish you could. I really miss you.”

She stroked Anneka’s cheek, but the coldness of her skin upset her, so she withdrew her hand.

“So anyway, with me looking like Morgana, it didn’t take long for Raph to approach me. You know, I wasn’t prepared for how much he made my skin crawl. I mean, I know he’s not given me any reason to like him, but the sense of revulsion I felt when he was anywhere near me was so intense.

“He didn’t seem to notice; he was too eager to impress me. He told me everything. He talked about a society of pure bloods called The Order of Purity and their plans, about Ekrisdis’ journal and what it taught them, about the Bloodstone and the box it was in.

“Anneka, I know how to stop the mist, and I even have the means to do it. Raph came back to Hogwarts to recover the box. He told me it’s the only thing that can contain the Bloodstone’s power. He was going to steal it, but McGonagall caught him sneaking out of his dormitory in the middle of the night. That’s when she sort of sent me to get it. She’d spotted me waiting outside the Slytherin common room too with my cat face on, which was how she knew it was me. Before she marched Raphael off, she kind of hinted at how I could go about getting hold of it, so I did.

“Only now I don’t know what to do. McGonagall all but told me to keep the box hidden to keep it safe, and she told me in no uncertain terms to try and do anything to fix this situation myself, and now she’s out of the picture. The Ministry don’t want anyone interfering with what they’re doing, but they don’t have the information I have because no-one outside of The Order of Purity knows what’s inside Ekrisdis’ journal, and out of anyone who’s left, nobody will take me seriously.

“Anni, people are dying and all I can do is sit here talking in circles to someone who isn’t even awake. I have to do something, and I really don’t know what to do. I can’t do nothing, but I can’t think of anything to do.”

The silence in the room, the stillness of her friend seemed wrong after she’d poured out her heart. The place felt like a mausoleum and Lori sensed her anguish drain out of her.

“So anyway, I’m sorry for using the polyjuice potion like that, but hopefully you can see I had good reason for doing what I did and you can forgive me, even though I know you were looking forward to having a twin for a day. Being an only child can’t be easy, and I guess I’m so much luckier than you ‘cause Lysander‘s been there all my life.

“…!

“Anneka, you’re a genius!” Lori took her friend by the shoulders and reached in to kiss her pale cheek. “Lysander, I’ve got to find Lysander!”

She jumped off the bed and ran towards the door.

Even as she did so, she heard a dry rasping breath from one of the other beds. She ran to where it had come from and found a girl, whose name she couldn’t recall, struggling for air. Even as she watched, Lori saw a tendril of white mist hovering around her mouth, drawn in with the next inhalation. The girl’s eyes shot open, and she tried to draw in more air even though her lungs were full.

Lori wrenched the door open and started shouting, “Help! Come quickly! I think she’s dying.”

Professor Sprout came running from the common room and the green robed Healer appeared in a doorway further down the corridor.

Lori turned and ran back to the girl, still struggling to get air into her full lungs.

The Healer pushed her out of the way and pressed hard with both hands on the girl’s chest, forcing her to exhale. The next breath in seemed to allow her some respite, but not enough. The doctor forced her lungs empty again, making her breathe out even though her instinct was to try and suck in more air.

“It’s the mist,” Lori said. “It’s coating the inside of her lungs.”

“We know!” shouted the Healer. “If there was something we could do about it, we would. Look, you have to go.” He turned back to the girl.

Lori stood by helplessly. The full horror of what was happening filled her. It was still daytime, which meant mist was leaking through the wards without any Dementors there to push it through. More than that, the dormitories were where the half-bloods had been put after the first night. All the Muggleborn were in the infirmary, which meant that the mist was trying to claim its first victim from among the half-bloods.

That meant all the unconscious students were at risk — Anneka was at risk. Lori had run out of time. She turned and fled.

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tremendous stuff

Glenda98's picture

Why is Hogwarts so backward in medicine? They should at least have oxygen!

Glenda Ericsson

I think magic works on old knowledge

The world of magic still thinks all things are made up of the four original elements earth, air, fire and water, something the Muggle world 'knows' is wrong. That means from the magic user's point of view, there is no such thing as oxygen, just phlogistonated air, and who'd think of using that to help someone breathe (I mean it's explosive, for goodness sake).

Besides, if you can't fix it by waving a wand at it, it can't be fixed, and that's an end to it (that's me thinking like JK).

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

There's no indication of how

There's no indication of how magic works.

If oxygen was required, it should be simple enough to create a spell that separates oxygen from the air, and feeds it into the lungs. Or a dozen other ways to assist a person to breathe.

There's no real limitation to what the magic can and can't do, outside of the limitations that are needed to make the plotline work. There's also no real "system of magic", so the author is pretty free to make it up as she goes along, provided that it uses the bit of Latin that are universally applied.

I had not realized that

Beoca's picture

I had not realized that McGonagall would have known because Longbottom told her about his gift as well, and I wasn't entirely certain that she'd caught Lori as Morganna. I guess I gave her too little credit. With that said, Lysander also gets too little credit for not caring about what others think. A lot of points going around for Patronus teaching should ensure (especially with no quidditch to be played) that Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw stay decently well off points wise. As far as the mist goes... oh boy. This isn't good at all, but there has to be a solution of some sort. Unfortunately, McGonagall being down for the count (and someone like Sprout being less than helpful regarding the Bloodstone and such) means that Lori's undercover work now becomes less useful than it had been. She's got to figure out what role the Bloodstone plays on her own - certainly Muggwump won't help her out. And I don't know what other teacher would know. Maybe whoever is now teaching DADA?

DADA

So far the only person who's mentioned defence against the dark arts has been Lysander. It certainly hasn't been mentioned as a class that Lori and Anneka have attended. Maybe it happened and I didn't mention it, or maybe in a post-Voldemort world, it has been seen (or decreed by the ministry) as something that is less essential in the curriculum; possibly too disturbing to teach to younger minds (maybe only taught at NEWT level).

Maybe you're right and I'll Deus Ex an as yet unmentioned hero into the story, or maybe... [NO! SPOILERS!]

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

It looks like Lori has talked

It looks like Lori has talked herself into doing the dangerous, scary, and brave thing. She has some allies to call on, so maybe it's time for a Hufflepuff to play like a Griphendoor and do the brave but stupid thing?

I feel like this telling does Prof. Sprout wrong. I would have hoped that she would at least listen to Lori about the box and the bloodstone and the mist. After all, she seems to think Lori is something special, letting her see her friend in the hospital. Then again, she did always seem to have a nervous energy about her, and was likely to cut off a student that was talking with a sort of fretting energy. Surely by now, someone would have learned from HP that when you are in the school, the students are Up. To. Things. and the best way to find out is to listen to the students themselves.

Still, the narrative is engaging, and the plotline is progressing. If the plot requires that Lori do the brave but stupid walk in the dark woods, then the build-up is wonderful, and the tension is working well. IMHO, I'd almost prefer it to be a head fake, as Lori does something and tells an adult and it works, just because of how that would subvert so much of the HP fanfiction trope.

It's really hard to resist back seat driving when there is this much forshadowing. In some ways that's a mark of a excellent narrative in itself!

Now there's a challenge

Have an MC who always makes sensible decisions and let's the grups take all the risks, but make it compelling. Might have to work on that.

Sorry, that's almost a spoiler.

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

Maybe not always make

Maybe not always make responsible decisions. After all, it's best when the MC are humans and relatable. But maybe when making the poor decisions, getting caught in the minor ones, and punished as per a normal student.

Also maybe not go whole hog into repeating Harry's idoicy to going up against the Dark Lord with nothing but a sketchy prophacy to back them up.

Good luck!

It won't be HP

As I may have mentioned along the way, this was tough to write. I don't much like paddling in another person's pool, and this one's proved to be particularly murky. I have a few very different stories (actually more than a few; I've managed to part write quite a lot in the last few quiet years) that are all my own, so I may well try finishing some of them.

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

Yes, fan fiction is tough.

Yes, fan fiction is tough. The entire world is built, but then keeping it "true" is rough. And there are all sorts of people like myself that critique you based on how they read the original author. So feel free to ignore anything I've said!

I also realize that I'm a much better critic than an author. When I read my own attempts, they come out so simplistic that I'm unwilling to submit them for anyone else to see. You're already well and truly beyond me.

You've done very well so far, and I hope you finish this one out!

It is finished

The story's complete. I'm just rereading the chapters and adjusting bits that don't quite work, and trying to maintain a about 2 posts a week. There are 18 chapters in total including the epilogue, and I'm ahead on the reviewing. I plan to post 2 chapters this weekend and the final 2 over the same weekend, which means I should be done by the end of the month.

Thanks fir your encouragement. I'm enjoying your comments.

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside