Need

Printer-friendly version

Need

I sit and stare at the machine, the Need beginning to overwhelm me. If I don’t get what I Need, I will go feral.

I feel thought edging away from me, it is becoming harder and harder to keep my composure, to keep seated, to keep sane. My claws begin to grow, my death grip on the edge of the table scoring the shiny table top, as I fight the need to tear away from the table and go out to kill.

The machine produces a soft “ding” as I scrabble for the tray that it offers and the bag of blood, delicious blood, that it holds for me. I grab the bag with the last bit of my sanity hanging on for dear life as the need makes my extended fangs pierce the bag and drink the elixir of life.

As madness recedes, I once again consider the way of life I have chosen, while sucking on the bag of blood for dear life, my long, luscious black hair tumbles down my back, drops I regret losing dripping on my breasts while I finish the bag.

Sanity returns and I am flooded with happiness, not only induced by the blood but also by the fact that I have, once again, been able to avoid killing, taking lives of humans, as I once was.

Without blood, my mind would be gone, I would become an animal, with no rational thought left, prowling the streets and killing indiscriminately to sustain myself, driven by the Need.

Eventually, I would not be able to sustain myself, the dark magic would eat my soul and the worst would happen.

No, I would not die, I would live hell on Earth.

I would turn male again.

As I leave the room, I tap the button to start the new cycle of generating synthetic blood and leave the dark room. Who needs light, anyway?

up
91 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

very dark!

but very well done.

DogSig.png

Wow!

High praise coming from the Queen of short stories! Loving Hugs, Talia

Is this...

erin's picture

Is this what they call dark humor? :D

It's so over the top and has such a delicious twist that it made me smile. Well done.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Goth,

Definitely goth,

Transformation Addiction

laika's picture

A great little take on something I'd always speculated about. That if transformation into a female was a short lived thing it could turn into an addiction. It seems like an obvious theme for a TG story that I''ve never really seen explored before. At least no stories I'd come across.

At least your vampirish narrator has a machine that makes her synthetic (True?) blood and doesn't have to depend on shady drug pusher-ish characters ("He's never, he's always late, one thing you lean is that you always have to wait", as Lou once sang) for it. I hinted at a world like this in SRU: Operation Sucker Punch (and if you'll indulge me:)

While she tried to avoid thinking about her growing dependency, in the back of her mind she feared that she could end up one of these potion whores (that is, if this tawdry relationship she was in didn't qualify her as one already); these girls who debased themselves, turning tricks to stay female; And who could have had sexual reassignment surgery several times over with all the money they'd spent on their magic bullet...

But magic was just so tempting- womanhood right there for you if you had the $120 (or less, if you were crazy enough to risk the side effects of the street stuff). And the changing was instantaneous, with no need for electrolysis or surgery or those painful months of futzing around poking stints up yourself to make sure your new vagina didn't close back up. And it was so much real-er than the Empirical's cure, which started to seem like a cheap simulation after every cell in your body had been blessed with XX chromosomes...

~but never followed it up with a story about transformation addicts and a whole druggy/club kid scene they;re part of; where the wild fun of their lifestyle has a dark desperation beneath it. The details are totally different but your deliciously creepy story captures that desperation I wanted to explore, and then some....

You can have that (admittedly vague in the details) universe, by the way, I'm not doing anything with it + I think you could do something spectacular with it.
~hugs, Veronica

When I found out that one could wish for that

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

Before the world wide web began, I was part of an email discussion list that was generally about sex. Someone posed the question "Would you rather be a man or woman, if you had the choice?" There followed a somewhat predictable discussion, until one man replied, "I would like to be able to switch back and forth."

His answer floored me, and my honest first reaction was, "I didn't know you could wish for that!"

As you suggest, Veronica, a possibility like that could easily become an addiction -- a zigzag through life.

- io

And so you did, Dorothy

laika's picture

And my comment was much like the one I left Melanie,
lamenting the rarity of transformation-addiction stories.
(maybe I've read dozes of them and just don't remember LOL)
Yours was very Julie O-ish, and the way it ended, with the witch
taking on her two new assistants absolutely screams for a sequel.
~hugs, V

I can't promise a sequel

but if my muse agrees, that's a universe I would love to explore further.

DogSig.png