Royal Retreat Part 13: By Royal Command

Printer-friendly version
Royal Retreat  

Tammyverse Book 13
 

 

Royal Retreat
Part 13
By Royal Command
Shiraz & Snowfall

 

 
Please note this is a work of fiction and any references to real people, real institutions or real heavily armed military units are for artistic purposes only!
 

“Buckle up, we’re on approach.”

Tammy and the girls hadn’t dared release their seat-belts during the flight apart from a visit to the tiny loo. Tammy, at least, appreciated that it wasn't a bucket behind a canvas screen.

“Where are we landing?”

“London.”

Tammy cursed, she hadn’t wanted to land at any of the London airports, especially if someone had circulated her name. Maisie and Lizzie were stirring.

“Check your belts, and keep those phones off.”

“What, we landing?”

“Yes, Lizzie. And don’t ask me where we are as I don’t bloody know!”

A shout came from the pilot. “Hold on, we’re on final.”

Barely three minutes later they were on the ground, Tammy now realised where they were.

“Going to the fuel stand?”

“Affirmative.”

“Fine, we’ll exit when you get there.”

“Saves me throwing you off.”

“What’s the time?”

“Seven in the morning.”

“Saturday?”

“Yeah, this bird don’t do time travel.”

If the ground staff were surprised as the three girls descended they didn’t remark on their outfits. One however had refilled the Epic a couple of times and recognised the pilot.

“KT Flight?”

“That’s my usual account , but these fine gentlemen gave me a lift and I'm not picking up their tab! Come on girls.”

Maisie had also realised where they were but kept quiet, Tammy had to remind Lizzie to keep her phone off.

“I want to check the news!”

“And give our location away?”

“Why are we doing this anyway?”

“Because an army officer called us fake women and suddenly the world hates us. Now keep quiet and let me deal with the gate.”

“I’m cold.”

They hadn’t changed from their shorts and a T, over swimsuits, plus it was still April. At least it wasn’t raining as they trekked across the former RAF fighter base. It took them ten minutes to reach the North Weald gate house.

“Hello, where did you come from?”

Tammy turned on her Highlands accent. “We hitched a lift on a flight from Aberdeen, they’re refuelling before heading South. Can you get us a taxi to Epping Station, we’re going to a beach party in the West End and was told it would be warmer than this!”

“Sure, haven’t I seen you before?”

“I usually fly here in a white Epic, you'll have seen me when I’ve been collected at this gate by a minibus.”

“Ah, that’s it. Sure, give me a minute.”

He made the call then suggested they could wait outside the gate, for Tammy this meant a small element of relief.

Getting a cab that early on a Saturday morning wasn’t as tiresome as it could have been. Tammy had some cash left so paid the driver but she would need to use a ATM before the weekend was out. They were dropped by the station’s main entrance.

“Are we getting a train?”

“No Lizzie.” Tammy started to walk back away from the station, five minutes later she arrived at the house. She didn’t have her keys to hand but did have access to a coded secure key box on the front of the building. She tapped in the six digits from memory and extracted the spare key.

“Where are we?” Asked Lizzie too loudly.

“Keep quiet!”

“But …?”

Tammy pushed the door open and checked that no-one was downstairs. She confirmed that the alarm system was disabled.

“Come in and put yourselves in the lounge. Do not touch anything, switch anything on or open that bloody mouth until I say you can.”

She unplugged the landline before creeping up the stairs and opening the door of Suzie’s bedroom. Thankfully she was alone, but stirred, stretched and woke.

“Oh, what day is it?”

“Saturday.”

“But you’re due … oh.”

“Suzie dear, choose your next words carefully.”

“I was instructed to call if you got in touch.”

“And?”

“I told them that got me into trouble with my own family last time. They could do their dirty work themselves.”

“Honestly?”

“Yes, they suspended me last night for refusing a command.”

“I see, who issued that command?”

“A new section leader, we hadn’t even been introduced.”

“I hope you’re being completely honest with me, Suzie?”

“Hey, I screwed up last time, you were nearly hurt and I lost my job.”

“Fair enough, did you want to put some clothes on? I’ll get some coffee going.”

“I need a shower.”

Tammy reached for Suzie’s mobile and turned it off.

“Hey!”

“Right now it’s possible that we’re all wanted by various agencies and the easiest way to track us is using our mobiles. I’ll look after this for now.”

“You don’t trust me?”

“I want to be sure, to be certain, as we all could get hurt. Why do you think I’m here now?”

“Because you hoped it was a safe place to come, hey, how did you get here?”

“A cab dropped us outside.”

“Us? A cab from the Bahamas?”

“Sure, you should have seen the meter. Maisie and Lizzie are downstairs. Look, you don’t need to know.”

“Who’s Lizzie? Oh, Dad may have mentioned her? I guess if you don’t tell me stuff then I can’t repeat it, yeah, I get it. Now let me have that shower. You could do with one yourself.”

“Yes, but there’s more important things to do first.”

“Coffee?”

“Starting with that.”

“You’re predictable, Tammy.”

“I hope not.”

Maisie had wanted to get some hot drinks going but was still sat with Lizzie as a precaution.

“Maisie, you know where the stuff is, don't hold back on the caffeine."

She sat quietly, trying to stay focussed until coffee could take over from adrenalin. Maisie was back nearly ten minutes later with the hot drinks.

"I need to make a call.” Tammy extracted her phone and switched it on.

“Hey, you said we couldn’t use our phones!”

“Correct, but I put this in Aircraft mode before I turned it off so it won’t connect to the phone network – hopefully. All I want is a number.”

She plugged the landline back in and dialled a number from her phone’s contact list, prefixing with a ‘withhold’ code. It rang for a few seconds.

“Hello?”

“Good morning Kevin.”

“Tammy? Where are you?”

“That’s not important. I need to know if you’ve been compromised?”

“How the bloody hell can I prove that to you over the phone?”

“No denial though?”

“You would immediately be suspicious if I denied it.”

“Too true, Kevin, you know me too well.”

“Exactly. I’ll see you in an hour.”

The line went dead so Tammy removed the cable to the phone base station.

“What, who?”

“I’m sure there was a question in there, Lizzie?”

“Yes, but?”

Tammy waited until Maisie returned.

“I’ve just spoken to Kevin Edmunds.”

“I remember him.” Suzie had arrived. Maisie nodded.

“He’s one of the few who know this house so he’s coming here, probably by Tube.”

“Do you trust him, Tammy?”

“Yes and no, so we’ll take precautions.”

“How?”

“Maisie, get down to the station once you’ve had a chance to wash and wait for Kevin, check if he’s on his own. We’ll wait here in case anyone turns up by vehicle.”

“Understood. If he’s not alone?”

“Delay him, anyway you can.”

“Weapons?”

“None, so let’s play this by ear seeing as we can’t go in, all guns blazing?”

“Understood.”

Maisie went upstairs to wash and change, Tammy went next, whilst Maisie was still available to babysit Lizzie, then they sent her up. Tammy had decided to stick with leggings and a loose top, giving her the maximum flexibility whilst Lizzie had gone for a summer dress, despite the English weather.

“I bought it in Grand Bahama but didn’t get a chance to wear it!”

Just after Maisie had left it started to drizzle and heavy rain wasn’t far behind it. Tammy just hoped that the girl didn’t get too drenched before she reached the station. The house CCTV was running on the lounge TV and two cameras had long views up and down the road so Tammy would, at least, have some warning.

When she did see someone approaching it was Kevin with Maisie a few steps behind. Tammy reached the front door before he did.

“On your own?”

“Yes, and my phone is off.”

“Good, come in. You obviously know Suzie and Maisie but you haven’t met Lizzie before?”

"Wow, those are some tans." Kevin looked to Lizzie. “The image of you that was circulated bears no resemblance. Your excursion seems to have been good for you.”

“Thank you, but who are you?”

“Detective Chief Inspector Kevin Edmunds, from SO15 Counter Terrorism Unit.”

“Oh, and Tammy invited you?”

“Not as such, but I’m here. Any chance of coffee?”

They settled down once everyone had a fresh drink.

“Okay, Tammy, shall I start?”

“Kevin, you probably know more than us about what's going on?”

“Firstly, your Colonel is missing, he went off the radar at five last night and there are MPs looking for him.”

“Damn, that’s not good, anything more?”

“No, but did you have dinner plans?”

“Grandma?”

“Indeed.”

“Okay, that’s for later, what about the investigations?”

“It appears Kyle Fielding was in communication with a True Freedom operative but the actual channel was cleverly constructed so to implicate others. Firstly, Marcus Wade was detached from his usual unit and sent to MOD Lyneham, near Winchester, to oversee an overhaul of the intel unit based at REME. Whilst there he was fed information about Maisie’s father so went to see him, telling him that you wanted Maisie to have a baby out of wedlock using a surrogate but had no intention of going through with the wedding.”

“That’s rubbish!” Maisie was quite upset.

“Let him finish.”

Kevin sipped his coffee.

“I’m with you, ladies, Staff Sergeant Thomas Staines was told a pack of lies to suit someone else’s needs. He and an officer were both told that there was a spy on the island who was sending information back that was critical to UK security but it couldn’t be sent via an official route. Maisie’s father was asked to establish the back channel for the good of the country. A load of hogwash, of course, but if folk believe they are doing something for their queen or president then they might just overstep legalities?”

Tammy nodded.

“The upshot was that a satellite ground station, quite a small one, was put on the roof of his cabin then connected into power and his internet router.

“And that was his involvement?”

“So it would seem.”

“Who was his contact?”

“Marcus Wade.”

“And only Marcus?”

“Yes.”

“Who did Marcus deal with?”

“That’s more difficult, he’s not being co-operative.”

“Where does that leave us?”

“Clearly they think you Tammy, and you Maisie, are involved somehow, although I would suggest Maisie here is the first confirmed victim?”

The girl nodded her agreement.

“Meanwhile they want to talk to you but, as you’re usually armed, they are not going to put an invite in the mail.”

“Great, a full Special Operations Group visit just to remove me from the street?”

“Indeed. There’s another issue, your gender has come up again as well as that for Miss Harrison.”

“My records are correct, Lizzie’s situation is a little vague however. What about it though?”

“Given how much I know about you, Tammy, this really isn’t a problem for me but it’s given a few senior misogynistic folk something to whine about. That will continue until they are ordered to shut up, but in the meantime they will continue look for evidence to back up their false claims as well as spreading their diatribe.”

“Great, Kevin, so we have to fight against someone who couldn’t give a toss about the law and will just make up reasons to harass us?”

“That’s about it.”

“Who’s driving it?”

“Good question.”

“But you don’t know? Let’s try another one, who can I trust?”

“Me, hopefully?”

Tammy agreed.

“The Colonel wants to see you later and I suggest I accompany you. Are you armed?”

“No, my weapons are in a certain country house to the West of here.”

“You didn’t take any?”

“We flew out on a scheduled flight, taking weapons on those is a right pain.”

“You didn’t say you flew back that way?”

“Correct.”

“Given that you weren’t due until tomorrow, that means they probably don’t know you’re back in the country?”

“Agreed, so that gives us a few hours. But, for now, how do I get a weapon?”

“On a Saturday?”

“Yes, can your armourer help me?”

“They don’t work weekends unless someone senior authorises it. That’s above my pay grade, still.”

“Damn, I should have kept a spare here.”

Suzie glared. “I don’t like having guns indoors!”

“We could ask the parents?”

“Mum would say no, and you know it!”

Lizzie had seen Suzie at AA House but only now realised the connection. “Sisters?”

“Yes.”

She looked around the room for any other reaction. “Oh.”

“Lizzie, file that information away where you’ll never find it again.”

“Everyone else knew?”

“Kevin met me when I was still at school, as did Suzie. Maisie met me last year and has stayed here a few times.”

“So I’m the outsider?”

“Yes, but we only met two months ago and you were a different person at first.”

“I'm not sure I like it back here, Tammy, can’t I go back to the island?”

“The job finished, Lizzie. Right now I have no idea what is planned for you but none of that is relevant whilst True Freedom are screwing around with folk we know. So, Kevin, who can we trust?”

“You could give Heather a call, she’s far enough away from Thames House to be out of mind.”

“Indeed, but no good if I wanted help here?”

“Let’s not jump to conclusions straight away, Tammy, but be careful!”

“Okay, what next?”

“Meet me in the West End at six.”

“Just me?”

“They’re looking for three girls, so one, on her own, should be able to go where she wants. I suggest you disguise yourself though.”

“And you’ll just wear the same suit?”

“I don’t have a suitable frock, but you might?”

“Will combats do? Oh, I’m a Captain now and my dress uniform is packed away upstairs.”

“Somebody apparently tried to rescind that but it’s official.”

“I’m in a dirty war, Kevin.”

“We all are, Tammy, just don’t let the buggers win!”

-o-

Once Kevin was out of the door Suzie turned to more immediate issues.

“How long are you staying, how many are eating and do you have dirty laundry?”

“Firstly, I was assuming we would be at AA House for a few days but my guess is that it’s not a good place to be right now. Food wise, when is your grocery delivery?”

“This afternoon. It's too late now to add anything to the order.”

“So do you need to go shopping now, for lunch?”

“Yes.”

“Can Maisie go with you?”

“Sure.”

“I’ll transfer some money to you when I know it’s safe.”

“I wasn’t after money.”

“Even so?”

“Mum would ask, yeah, so thanks.”

“Good, it’s not personal but I need to get myself and Maisie back home and find out what we’re doing with Lizzie?”

That prompted an immediate response.

“Hey, why can’t I go with you?”

“That wasn’t what I was told, and, Lizzie, I honestly have no idea right now how this is going to end.”

“This doesn’t make me feel good, Tammy?”

“But that’s how it is, given that we don’t know very much right now.”

"Can’t we go with you, this evening?”

“No Lizzie, didn’t you hear what Kevin said?”

“Yeah, but why would they be looking for the three of us if we’re not due back before tomorrow?”

“Because they know I can, and would, alter my travel plans. I’ve done it before and thrown false leads but ultimately they caught up with me. All we have managed is to buy some extra time but the moment they know that we’re not on that plane there will be one hell of a storm.”

“Why?”

“Because they can claim I wasn’t following orders, that WE weren’t following orders, and have gone rogue!”

“Oh.”

Tammy noted that Maisie and Suzie were keeping quiet, and Lizzie finally got the point.

“You don’t know how to fix this, do you, Tammy?”

“No, I don’t, I bloody don’t.”

Suzie and Maisie decided it was the right time to head to the store in the centre of Epping, taking the car as it was still damp outside with menacing clouds. Tammy needed to get out as well, but the risk was just too great, plus where would she go?

That then led to the question, what would happen to the others if she was compromised?

Tammy had long decided that Lizzie was liable to act first and think second when placed into an alien environment: being hunted by the UK Government definitely counted as alien to her.

The girls brought hot chicken back with them; it was so far off the diet sheet that Tammy nearly turned it down but their last proper meal had been many hours and timezones earlier.

Once that was done Tammy took herself back upstairs and had a long shower, deep conditioning her hair and tidying up anything that needed attention. Next task was an outfit for the evening. She’d taken several frocks to Ram’s Rock with her but didn’t believe any were suitable.

“Suzie?”

“Yes?”

“I need a dress for tonight?”

“How long?”

“I might need to run in it?”

“So what if it has a slit from the hip down?”

“That might work?”

“I have one in blue satin, not that I’ve ever had a chance to wear it!” She extracted it from the rail.

“Perfect, thanks. I have some heels that would work.”

Suzie sat on her bed. “Tammy, will I be a target?”

“I honestly don’t know, sis. It would really help if I knew who we were dealing with, who is behind this?”

“Do you need a disguise?”

“Like colour my hair? No, there isn’t time now but I’ll need a coat and a scarf please?”

“Where is this place you’re going to?”

“It’s an Asian restaurant, a friend introduced me to it when she was in London some time ago.”

“Oh, I think we went there when I was sacked?”

“Yes.”

“I don’t remember much.”

“You were rather distracted at the time, Suzie.”

Tammy started to shimmy into the frock.

“Yeah. What’s up with Lizzie?”

“She has a few insecurities. It might be a good idea to get her back into a helicopter soon?”

“Fly? You’re kidding?”

“She’s an RAF Flight Lieutenant.”

“Don’t take me the wrong way, but is she, I mean, another one of your converts?”

“No, but to be honest that’s not far from the truth.”

“You keep finding them?”

“No, they keep finding me, sis. Can you zip me up please?”

“Sure.”

Tammy decided to leave well before four, giving her over two hours before the dinner date, but she wanted to drop in somewhere first.

The “No Name” club was a short walk from Piccadilly Circus an hour later. She was met just inside the door by the barman Bruce, she suspected he’d known she was approaching.

“Good evening, Ma'am. The Colonel is expecting you. May I take those?”

Tammy took off her coat and scarf and checked them. “Thank you, Bruce. A large Wolfburn please?”

She could already see a jug of water on Sean MacTaggart’s table. He was otherwise alone but there were two empty chairs. She decided not to show surprise but congratulated herself for a small win.

Sean rose and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“A delightful sight, as ever, my niece.”

“Thank you, uncle. Are you expecting company?”

“I’m expecting one more person, a friend, a very good friend.”

“Understood, you’ll appreciate that I’m a little short of friends right now?”

“You have more than you think but choose carefully.”

“That has been my biggest issue since getting back here.”

“Well done, by the way, but you took a chance by going to your sister’s home.”

“Granted, but that’s a devil I knew. How long will it be before my presence is widely known?”

“A flight was met at Heathrow a two hours ago, just a precaution, and a few are very upset. There’s another flight late this evening that is more likely, but my guess is that they’ll know before then.”

“That’s a concern, I guess those passports were compromised?”

“Yes, I was playing along. You didn’t use them?”

“No.”

“What about the Amex card?”

“Let’s just say that I probably went shopping at Miami International or elsewhere.”

“Excellent.”

There was a noise behind Tammy, but she recognised the cologne immediately.

“Sir Thomas!”

That earned her another kiss. He ordered a glass and a bottle before taking a seat.

“Well, when the devil casts his net?”

Tammy showed false indignation. “Hey, I hope you’re including yourself?”

“Naturally, my dear.”

Tammy looked at the bottle, noting that Sir Thomas already had a large Scotch in his glass, to which he added a splash of water.

“This is quite the pickle, isn’t it Tammy?”

“I hope you’re not blaming me?”

“No, Tammy, we’re not. However, you do have a certain talent for coaxing, or rather forcing, problems to identify themselves.”

“It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been accused of being a catalyst, Sir Thomas.”

“A catalyst is usually benign but I don’t think that term applies to you.”

“Thanks, but I'm not sure whether to kiss you or slap you.”

“Then do neither. Their Royal Highnesses wouldn’t thank you.”

“Oh.”

“You have established a good relationship there, the Duchess wrote that you showed due respect but spoke openly when questioned directly – even when facing adversity. Also that you showed good humour when you could.”

“I see. How much do you know?”

“Plenty, I saw the reports from all sides.”

“So what the hell is going on?”

“Not here, young lady, not here. I suggest you drink up as our transport is due in a minute.”

“I need a moment in the Ladies'.”

“Be quick!”

Tammy’s coat was waiting for her when she returned and the trio were quickly at street level where a black Hackney cab was waiting by the doorway. The three slid into the back of the classic vehicle.

“St Anne’s.”

“Of course, Sir.”

The ride was only five minutes but took them through a security gate not far from Buckingham Palace before pulling up outside a Regency building that looked familiar.

“Is this a Nash building, it's Regency isn't it?”

“As in John Nash? No, St Anne’s Hall was designed by a contemporary named Decimus Burton. Let’s get you installed.”

“What is this building?”

“St Annes Hall is the Royal Guest Quarters, Kate and William insisted you needed somewhere secure to work on your plan. They may appear to be remote but do know what’s going on even if they can’t say anything about it.”

“I’m grateful, but ….”

“Your companions will be brought here just as soon as our cab can get to them. Your sister will be advised to accompany them as well.”

“I was going to ask if she could. The driver looked familiar, oh, he works for Kevin?”

“And others, yes.”

Tammy was first shown to a room, one with a view over the Buck House gardens. There was a placard on the door with her and Maisie's names, to ensure she found her way back. She freshened herself, ditched the coat and made her way back. A member of staff directed her down one more floor and through a security door.

“Ah, welcome back Tammy.”

“What is this place, Sir Thomas?”

“When it's not needed to supplement the bedrooms in the Palace St Annes can be used as a command centre for matters of state.”

“So it’s fully equipped?”

“Correct.”

“The Government has its own command centre, as do the military?”

“Yes, but governments come and go, whilst not every emergency involves the military. This place deals with issues that go beyond government.”

“The Establishment?”

“Indeed, but it can also be used for conferences too, where discretion is essential.”

“Okay, so what’s going to happen?”

“Sean wants you to be debriefed. All three of you who were out in the Caribbean need to recall what was said and what was seen.”

“I see.”

“We also need to go into your relationship with Staff Sergeant Staines and, unfortunately, Kyle Fielding.”

“I had a feeling that would come up.”

“It is purely to deal with any allegations that arise.”

“Shall we start?”

“We’re just waiting for our lead investigator.”

“Who is that?”

“They are a senior police officer from a provincial force with the appropriate clearance. Such people are rare so they are travelling from a distant city. Let’s have a coffee whilst we wait?”

A few more people arrived but Tammy hadn’t recognised most of them and all Sir Thomas would say was that they were “my staff”. One arrival didn’t need any introduction.

“Sophie!”

“Good evening Tammy, I hope this will be worthwhile, but my sudden deployment generated an awkward conversation before I left?”

“With your boss?”

“No, with Heather. She had plans for tomorrow.”

“I’ll call and apologise.”

“You’ll pay her a visit and apologise in person. It’s been too long.”

“Done!”

“Good, now get me a coffee and find me an interview room!”

“Interrogation, you mean?”

“No, fact finding.”

“Ah, okay.”

“Coffee!”

“Yes, Sophie.”

-o-

That first session took an hour and covered the time Tammy had spent with the Black Watch, meeting Maisie and the subsequent issues with Kyle..

They took a break before continuing her recollections with post Christmas activities, which included meeting Ethan Harrison and then Lizzie, plus her interactions with Marcus Wade.

Tammy was worn out after that but found Maisie waiting for her.

“We thought something had happened – Kevin wouldn’t say anything!”

“Where’s Lizzie?”

“Being interviewed, one of Sir Thomas’ team has her.”

“And Suzie?”

“In her room, showering as she’s been told to change for dinner. Do you still have her phone?”

“It was in my luggage.”

“The cab driver ask us to collect your bags and the staff took them upstairs - we’ve got a great room. What’s the building across the grass?”

“Buck House.”

“Oh, so this is like royal stuff?”

“Yes, Maisie.”

Sophie approached them, pointing at Maisie. “You’re next. Come with me.”

“Err, yes.”

Tammy took a seat back near the coffee pot, noting that the bottle of Wolfburn was available as were glasses and a water jug. She opted for iced water instead, Sir Thomas joined her.

“I hope that wasn’t too difficult?”

“Sophie knows me too well, but her pride was rather hurt at Christmas when she was effectively told to shred her report.”

“She is a professional who was in uncharted waters, so did what her training demanded. I couldn’t fault that, but we had a very specific agreement to leave no paper trails.”

“I got that, but I still wondered why she was there?”

“To watch your back, prevent you from doing something regrettable.”

“Oh, I guess that was needed?”

“It wasn’t, not that time, but not everyone can cope if an operation goes badly wrong and a few parties needed to know that you could deal with it.”

“So Sophie was included, as my conscience?”

“In the first place and to protect you from others if necessary.”

“Even if it was a long way out of her comfort zone?”

“Correct. I’d say that the operation achieved all that it needed.”

“There is still a question, Sir Thomas, I need to ask.”

“Not now, I believe the others are about to finish their sessions and dinner is nearly ready.”

She went to freshen and joined the others in a small dining room on the ground floor, the veranda doors were closed but Tammy could see they led straight onto the Buckingham Palace gardens, meaning that she was within the inner security cordon.

Tammy had expected silver service staff but was slightly confused when a Vietnamese family started to bring dishes to the table. A bowl was sat in front of Tammy, she turned to look then smiled.

"Grannie!" Tammy exclaimed.

The old woman swatted Tammy's shoulder and seemed to scold her. A young man chuckled.

Tammy pretended to shrink away. "I didn't catch all that, Grannie."

"Grandmum said you're turning into a troublesome young lady and picking up bad habits from the other girls. You need to behave, she said." The young man chuckled.

MacTaggart laughed. "That's telling you, Tammy!"

The young man repeated the statement to his grandmother who then turned to Sean and gave him a stern look then said more in Vietnamese. Her grandson actually winced.

"Sir, Grandmum just said that Beckwith was better behaved than you and he was thrown out of Lucy's for starting five bar fights in the same night." The young man repeated then added another statement from his grandmother. "He was a Lieutenant Colonel then."

Tammy tapped the old woman's shoulder. "Who was Lucy?"

The young man answered for her. "Lucy's was a bar in Thailand. It was where all the special forces and mercenaries went. Very rough place. Grandmum says not a place for you."

Tammy giggled. "I'll remember that."

Sir Thomas shook his head. "You have such interesting friends Tammy."

Tammy just grinned then received a bowl of peppers to go with her meal. After they finished their soup, the main dish was brought out. Tammy ate happily even though it was very spicy. MacTaggart ate with gusto, unaffected by the heat.

Tammy noticed that the others were eating without complaint and guessed their food were only lightly seasoned, though Sir Thomas was taking advantage of the glass of water more than wine. When he took his handkerchief and patted his forehead, Tammy tried not to laugh.

After setting his fork down, sir Thomas commented. "That was quite flavoursome."

"It's good to broaden one's culinary experiences, Sir Thomas." Tammy quipped then munched a pepper.

Maisie shook her head. "Sometimes I think it might be safer to drink burning petrol than trying Tammy's plate."

A young Vietnamese woman came over to Tammy and whispered in her ear.

"Are you sure?" Tammy asked and received a nod.

Sir Thomas asked. "Something amiss?"

Tammy nodded. "She just told me there are soldiers in front of the restaurant. They seem to be a bit cross, finding it closed for the night. I'm told a sign says there was a staff holiday today."

"Their orders probably didn't allow for them to find the place closed up. My guess is that the officers are probably arguing as to what to do now. If they haven't checked the house, that would probably be their next visit in search of you all." MacTaggart said.

Suzie sighed. "Then I guess it was best to come here."

"Hopefully your neighbours weren't so observant as to notice us arriving or departing." Tammy remarked.

Suzie shrugged. "I don't think so. I barely see them and the times I have, they seemed to be concerned with themselves."

"We'll know if they inquire about the taxi." MacTaggart said. "DCI Edmunds will be informed of anyone requesting the tracking data for that cab registration number. He'll notify us, but we'd best let him know what's going on."

After dinner, the restaurant crew left. They had a cover story for their night out. Everyone retired for the night, exhausted and stressed.

-o-

Tammy woke as the sun came through the curtain on Sunday morning, or was it her bladder? Maisie went to swipe her rear as she hopped out of bed. “Missed!”

The pair dressed simply for breakfast before the interviews restarted. This time all three of the Ram’s Rock visitors were independently asked about that deployment. Tammy’s interview took the longest, she called a halt about an hour in. She didn’t know this woman.

“You seem to know plenty about what I did and said, why do you need my opinion?

“Just answer the questions.”

“No, I was told this was a fact finding exercise but I get the feeling you would have read me the caution if you could?”

“This is fact finding.”

“No, like I said, you already know what happened – how?”

“That’s not important.”

“It is to me. This is over.” Tammy stood and walked out of the room, Sean was waiting.

“What’s up?”

“What’s her beef?”

“She’s an excellent interrogator.”

“Who seems to think she has enough intel to prosecute me under military law, but isn’t interested in the bigger picture? What does she know about me?”

“Nothing, she’s been in Germany for the past few years so hasn’t come across you before. That’s why she’s got you, but all she’s had are some sanitised reports and the original mission brief.”

“But she’s pushing me to admit to an unspecified crime, on a private island thousands of miles away. Someone has briefed her and I suspect she’s had access to some of the surveillance tapes?”

“I briefed her and, no, she hasn’t seen the recordings. Oh, Paul Dannigan sent me more recordings than the one you requested.”

“Okay, but please tell this woman to ease back?”

“Tammy, listen. The current Military Investigation team want to put you through a Court Martial and throw you into a male prison.”

“Oh.”

“You would have a much worse time in a court martial than in that room, so get back in there and finish the interview. We need untainted testimony, even if you’ve been compromised in their eyes.”

“Umm.”

“It’s an order, Captain Smart!”

“Sir.”

-o-

Mid morning Tammy received an instruction to attend an unscheduled briefing. She knocked on the heavy wooden door and, having received permission, entered. Tammy found Sir Thomas, Sean, a Naval Officer and two other suited men seated in front of a large monitor. An image of a familiar vessel was on the screen.

"Captain Smart, please join us." Sir Thomas waved her inside then gestured to an empty chair.

One of the suited men spoke up. "Captain, the subject of a vessel registered to Mexico has come up in discussions after it was recorded by British Forces in the Caribbean. I would like to learn more, specifically what do you know?"

"And you are?" Tammy asked.

The man gave her a blank expression. "Reginald Howell, NCA Global narcotics division."

Tammy looked over to Sir Thomas, who nodded. "This boat belongs to a Mexican Cartel and is the support vessel to a submersible. From what I was told the two vessels are primarily used to smuggle contraband into and out of the United States. We had intel that the terrorist group True Freedom were able to hire the vessels and crew against the island retreat used by the Crown Prince and the Duchess."

Howell asked. "What kind of contraband?"

"Cocaine was mentioned." Tammy replied.

"Does this cartel have intentions toward the U.K.?" Howell asked.

Tammy shook her head. "Other that the recent incident the intel does not indicate a risk at this time."

"To your knowledge, what actions were taken against the vessels?" The Naval officer asked.

Tammy debated what to say but ended up deciding to tell the truth. "The crew aboard the submersible were encouraged to withdraw and the sub left the island submerged and without injury as far as we know. It is very likely the sub rejoined the mothership then departed the area. I believe the US Coastguard were monitoring but I heard nothing more."

"Why did you not seize, disable or destroy the sub?" The officer asked.

Tammy poured iced water from a jug then sipped before answering. "An assessment at the time offered that as an option but it was accepted that we would gain the cartel's attention, from a negative perspective. In the first instance that would be against the Royal couple and their protection team but with future potential against any British assets within range. That was considered to be too great a risk. Before the operation began an order was given to dissuade the sub from hanging around and to, quote, 'send them back, but intact' end quote. We were able to do that successfully with little risk to ourselves or the Duke and Duchess."

"And who made that order?" Howell asked.

"A contact in the American Drug Enforcement Agency whose details were not disclosed." Tammy replied.

Sir Thomas interrupted. "Gentlemen, and lady, please direct your attention to the monitor."

The image of the Piñata disappeared and a moment later a video began to play. The footage was in black and white, indicating it was taken by a FLIR camera. The initial audio was clearly from the maritime VHF radio.

"Unknown vessel. UNKNOWN VESSEL! This is the U.S.S. Michael Murphy. Heave to and prepare to be boarded. I say again; this is the U.S.S. Michael Murphy, heave to and prepare to be boarded!"

Another voice was heard as people could be seen now moving frantically on the boat. Light appeared underneath in the water then went out.

"Vessel is deploying hostile object below surface."

Another voice cut in. "We have target lock on the vessel."

"Launch."

Seconds later a light streaked to the vessel which then exploded.

"Confirming hit."

The second voice returned. "Primary tracking signal lost. Secondary tracking signal descending rapidly. Secondary Tracking signal lost."

The third voice called out. "Surface signature has disappeared. Scope is clear."

"Acknowledged. Surface vessel has been sunk. Stand down from Action Stations." The fourth voice ordered.

Even though the video was black and white, Tammy could clearly see the boat had been El Piñata. The video ended and the screen went black.

"Tammy, do you know the vessel in the video?" Sir Thomas asked.

Tammy nodded. "Yes sir. I believe that to have been the boat known as El Piñata, support vessel to the submersible we encountered during our deployment."

"I'm confused." Reginald Howell stated then asked. "If the American D.E.A. strongly advised the boat, sub and crew be sent back, why would the American Navy then sink it?"

The naval officer had been consulting his phone and spoke up. "The American ship is a member of the Third Pacific Fleet, Carrier Strike Group One. If the coordinates were correct, and I have no doubt they were, the boat was engaged just north of the Panama Canal in the Pacific. That Strike Group is ending a deployment and heading to port."

Howell looked at the officer. "I have no idea what any of that means Rear Admiral."

"I'm afraid I'm lost myself, Rear Admiral Cavanaugh." Sir Thomas admitted.

The Rear Admiral put his phone away. "The Americans wanted the vessels sunk, but to do so in the Caribbean would draw attention to our deployment and possibly any of their own assets in the area. Instead they tracked the vessel and sunk it in the Pacific as part of a regular interdiction operation. In short, they made sure we were left out of it and by doing so, we benefit. It cost them nothing to wait for that proper moment. It's a good example of the excellent co-operation between our two countries."

Tammy now knew what the mystery Huey flight had been about. She guessed that it had been Krystel sitting in the back who had gone diving to place the tracking devices on the boat. Tammy wanted to smile, but resisted the urge. She also decided not to reveal her conclusions.

"I was sent the video just before you arrived. I believe that clears up that bit of business." Sir Thomas remarked and stood up.

Tammy stood as well. The Admiral and other men shook hands with Sir Thomas, nodded to Tammy and left. Sir Thomas indicated for Tammy to sit back down.

"Do you believe the conclusion Cavanaugh drew?" Sir Thomas asked.

Tammy nodded. "I do, but I think there is more to it. The Americans have a real problem with that cartel. This venture with True Freedom presented an opportunity they couldn't pass up. That cartel is a particularly nasty lot I was told, but even if they discover the U.S. Navy is responsible, they wouldn't dare retaliate. The Navy could sit offshore in international waters and attack their main facility. The Mexican government wouldn't object other than issue the customary query because the vessel was registered there. In essence, a cartel they can't take down was found to have attacked a foreign government team? The Mexicans would be more than happy to have that embarrassing problem solved for them."

Sir Thomas sighed. "I see. I guess we can't complain if they use our problem as an excuse to solve their own."

"It might not be cricket, but out is out, whether overarm, underarm or even a loose ball?" Tammy shrugged.

"Well the video was actually sent for your attention, through me. Reginald had been informed about the possible drug connection, so he demanded to be briefed through channels and the Rear Admiral was brought in by him. This was one of those times cooperation was prudent. and the video evidence was a fortunate bonus. The matter is closed so now, perhaps, they should go back to their other concerns and stay out of ours?" Sir Thomas explained.

Tammy nodded. "That would be helpful. If others would keep their noses out of our business as well then we may even get some work accomplished."

"Quite. Thank you Tammy, that will be all for now." Sir Thomas said.

Tammy met the others for coffee but noted Suzie was missing.

"She wasn't involved, where is she?"

"Sophie has her, there's a question about what happened on Friday in the European unit at Thames House."

"Oh, the reason behind her suspension?"

"Correct."

A phone rang and Sir Thomas answered.

"Yes, she's here."

She took the handset. "Tammy, it's Kevin."

"Oh, hi, are you coming here?"

"Not yet, you know about the restaurant last night?"

"Sure, the soldiers found it closed."

"The army officer on the ground was going to bust his way in but the local armed response vehicle had deployed after a member of the public had called to report weapons on the street."

"Got to love the public!"

"Sometimes, Tammy, sometimes. Anyway the army officer was reminded that he would be committing an offence if he allowed any damage to the property and he had no defence in civilian law if warned by a police officer."

"Excellent."

"So that group redeployed to Epping."

"We guessed that would happen."

"I saw the original call as it was potentially a terrorist incident so we advised the local officers in Epping that they were going to have a problem even though we knew that the property was empty."

"That places a link between you and us, Kevin."

"Emily made that call, not me."

"Is she at risk?"

"Potentially, but she knew what she was doing. I've allocated her a close protection officer."

"That seems sensible, but when do I get a weapon? I can't go to Abigail Adams House to collect mine?"

"You have Royal and Diplomatic officers on duty here, that's Sophie's old team. They will be your second line of defence."

"What's the first?"

"No-one knows you're there, let's keep it that way?"

Lunch was next and this time the patio doors were open. Tammy looked across the grass and could see a cluster of small dogs. "Sir Thomas, is that Her Majesty?"

"Indeed. It looks like the corgis are having a stroll. I believe she has some poo bags in her handbag in case the dogs behave like dogs."

"There's no protection or staff near her?"

"She doesn't want them, nor need them. This is her home."

Suzie rejoined them whilst the food was laid out as a buffet: hot new potatoes and quiche with salad meant that the regular kitchen staff were probably back.

Once fed and watered they gathered in the conference room for a briefing.

"Okay, thank you for participating during the interviews. We're aware of some misinformation being circulated that might colour any future legal action, therefore your original testimony is essential and we needed that before you had an opportunity to discuss it between yourselves.

"Tammy it is particularly interesting that the rest of your small unit did not necessarily know what you did or who you liaised with. That's excellent from a tradecraft perspective but lousy when we need to verify certain actions. The two are, unfortunately, usually mutually exclusive."

"So I might not have a defence against an allegation and be accused of lying when I'm telling the truth?"

"Even worst, Tammy, you might be ordered to withhold the truth in order to protect others."

"Damn."

"Under normal circumstances we would make it clear that your actions were secret, but these are not normal circumstances."

"What I would like to know, Sean, Sir Thomas, is who is behind this?"

"Sir William Burgess."

"Who the hell is he?"

"He is True Freedom, or at least the current leader."

"And he's a ruddy Knight of the Realm?"

"Correct, and a sitting member of the House of Lords. He sees his role as protecting the establishment by putting his nominated people in key places and taking out those who actively work against him."

"Like a fifth column?"

"Indeed. It's been many decades since the group was formed but they had a huge injection of arms and money when the Fourani empire fell, that’s when it switched from a pressure group to a terrorist group but Sir William maintains that he runs an executive training agency and writes the odd article for niche publications."

"I've heard that, but not his name. How many does he have in place?"

"Several hundred across the civil service, intelligence agencies and military."

"Including the Military Investigations Branch?"

"Affirmative."

"That explains a few things."

"In addition to the operational agents there are also several hundred sympathisers. They are the more worrying as they may have zero apparent connection to True Freedom."

"Like Marcus?"

"Yes, although he may just be demonstrating his continued dislike for you and the way you operate?"

"Plus his continued respect for Kyle?"

"Yes, that is a concern."

"How do we deal with this?"

Sir Thomas replied. "That's in hand, but it requires some radical thinking by certain Government ministers and they're not known for wanting to upset the status quo?"

"You didn't mention the Police, Sir Thomas?"

"Right now, the only way you can become a senior Police Officer is to have started at the bottom and worked your way up. There's very little chance of being parachuted into a senior position but changes are being proposed that would allow exactly that to happen."

Sophie nodded as Tammy replied.

"Damn, they would have the ability to propose new laws and implement them, subjugating the population one small step at a time under the banner of protecting society: their version of society."

"Yes, and it's a real worry."

-o-

By Sunday night key leaders and enablers in True Freedom were being identified. Tammy was sat with Sean, Sir Thomas, Sophie and Kevin who had finally arrived.

"John Smith sends his apologies but he'll join us tomorrow once he's cleared up an issue in Thames House."

Tammy sipped her Wolfburn, amazed that the bottle had lasted this long.

"Thanks, Kevin. How's Emily doing?"

"DI Keane is running an operation back at New Scotland Yard. We'll be in touch with her as needed."

"Okay. Sean, what's the plan?"

"With respect, Tammy, you don't need to know that right now. Please let the various senior officers look after their own areas of concern, we'll need you for any mopping up."

"Understood, but I feel like that last bolt rattling around in a box but no-one knows where to put it?"

"We know where that bolt needs to go but it's currently waiting for other parts of this mechanism to fall into place. Until that's done consider yourself on standby not spare."

"Okay. What about the other three?"

Sir Thomas answered. "They will have tasks when the time comes, even if that's supporting any future operations that you are involved in. Take the time to recharge your batteries."

"I'm concerned, that doesn't help."

"Then have a swim, use the gym, visit the library or go for a walk? Get your stress levels down or else you are a risk."

"Tomorrow."

"Indeed. Let's all get some sleep, tomorrow's going to be a long day."

{Continues}

Tammy Beginnings follows sixteen year old Tom Smart as he starts his voyage of self discovery. This is an expanded Preludes story, Part 2 soon!
Larry a bullied sophomore in High School finds two new friends in his Home EC. class. Together the boy and two girls design costumes in anime maid style and provide treats for a booth at the mall. The trio discover a real knack for treat-making and win over not only their school, but also the town in a sweet coming of age story.
up
358 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Always a great read!

Maddy Bell's picture

Just one minor point MOD Lyneham isn’t near Winchester but about 10 miles from Swindon - I was there last week!

At least this time Tammy seems to be on the inside of things with support.

Guess I have to wait a week for more now, bleh!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Giggle.

WillowD's picture

I won't have to wait a week because, silly me, I totally forgot to read this when it came out. Usually I start anticipating the Saturday chapter a day or two before hand.

Big white shark

Has finally been identified (or is that orca?). Hmm, maybe the media sharks can help, for once?
BTW: why does it have to be always Wolfburn? There are other great whiskys around out there, you know? ;-)

Thx for another great chapter^^

about wolfburn

Alecia Snowfall's picture

As a co-conspirator, I mean collaborator, I mean co-writer/editor, (one of them is right); I can answer that question. Shiraz set the base for Tammy's tales in Thurso, which is where wolfburn is made, should she mention tammy drinking or encouraging the drinking of another brand of whiskey then Shiraz gets fined by Thurso. Tammy being a fine Lass naturally would also want to support local economy and purchase wolfburn and send as a gift to promote it.
This was not a paid advertisement, just a suggestion by 'some bloke'.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

:-D Yep, that's what I

:-D Yep, that's what I thought. But a town threating a fine for not supporting the local economy? That doesn't sound nice. Not nice at all. That sounds like the town council is somewhat on the shady side. So no kickbacks, no boni for such loyal supporters? Damn, the least they could do is send a whisky case of [censored]/y to the authors.

Another GREAT chapter

Royal support seems to be in place.

There are WAY too many threads wriggling all over the place for my little brain to follow. I’m looking foreward with HUGE anticipation to some order coming from all this.

Thank you both SOOO much for my Saturday morning’s entertainment,

An Avid Reader

So much

So much covered, and tied off, but still so much to cover.

- Is Marcus's interaction with True Freedom due to Fielding manipulating, or is it something he truly believes in?
- What happened to Jeremey Wells?
- What was said on the taps which Dunnigan forwarded?
- Will Suzie be able to stay on in MI5?
- Is Lizzie staying down south, or will she go to Scotland?
- The back in Thurso - what about Tammy's course, there was some talk about it before the trip away, but seems to be left aside
- How long before Isle of Man?

So much yet to come

Infiltration

joannebarbarella's picture

It appears that nothing has changed since the days of Burgess, McLean, Philby, Cairncross and Blunt. There are still members of the British upper classes determined to impose totalitarian government by subverting the democratic system. Mind you, recent developments in the USA have exposed similar infiltration and an attempt to overthrow American democracy.

It's no wonder that Tammy doesn't know who to trust.

I wonder if Sir William Burgess

Julia Miller's picture

Is the same Shadowy figure on the screen that Tammy saw that night in Switzerland? Now it is a matter of time to see which party gets the other one first, in this continuing cat and mouse game between True Freedom vs. Tammy and friends.

To Shiraz and Snowfall. This has been an excellent story of intrigue. Both of you have outdone yourselves.

As Krystal (I think) said; Shit's getting real.

It's great that Sir William Burgess is now identified as the real force behind True Freedom. We've seen straw bosses appearing to be in control when in fact they weren't. First it was the Lavoska sisters. Then, in chapter 9 of Deja Flew we caught a glimpse of Penny Lavoska's control who obviously is neither Burgess nor British, judging from the conversation:

"The trawlers were always disposable. I'm not concerned. Tomorrow night, eight gliders will cross the English Channel. Radar can not see the gliders. They will carry bombs to drop at key communications and electrical facilities. 'Great Britain' will drop into chaos overnight." Penelope Lavoska chuckled.

A male voice snarled. "I don't care! All I care about is the MONEY and release of my family they are holding!"

Tammy recognized the accent and edged closer until she was right behind her then slowly rose up, gripping her rifle tightly.

"I will keep my word, I assure you.." Penelope started and was cut off.

"BEHIND YOU!" The man on the video call pointed and shouted.

Has Lavoska's control been identified and is he still in play, under surveillance or neutralized.

As for Sir William Burgess, I don't believe that Her Majesty will be best pleased that he intended to either kill or kidnap her son, daughter and law and grandchildren. Perhaps it is time for Tiffany to return to London to dance and introduce Sir William to the joys of Inanna.

When True Freedom is either dead and dusted or at least so decapitated that it isn't an imminent threat, I'm certain that the Royals will insist on some honor for Tammy; will it be possible for her to be honored without compromising her cover identity? And how will the problem with Vice Chancellor Ford be resolved? Could he be an associate of True Freedom? Given his employing Freddy Flint and Donald Templeton, it may be a possibility.

Once all of the other matters are resolved- and it will be wonderful to watch read about the takedown of True Freedom in the next few chapters- I hope we find out how Lizzie fares as she is integrated into Tammy's team.

Shiraz and Snowfall, this series is incredible. The complexity and the interconnections between Tammy's adventures with all the people coming in and out of her life and the interweaving of plots and subplots is incredible. I hope this series continues and I thank you for all your hard work in creating it.

Behind you!

This is still one of the major loose ends niggling at my hind brain. Nothing has been said anywhere about this contact. I am sure we didn't see the debriefing word for word from any player, as we read it as it happened. The computer divers, lthe other raiders, the brass, the interviewers, all are mum. If she had to recognize an accent, it makes me doubt it was actually Burgess, although it is possible, as she probably could not put a name to an unknown voice. Did this smidge get overlooked in the excitement? Or is this how Burgess was identified.

Smiley's People has nothing on this.

As Tammy learns more, she becomes more able, deeper in the mire, more competent, more deadly and better connected.
I'm amazed Her Majesty hasn't conferred some accolade. It might make her more invulnerable.
Thanks so much Shiraz and Snowfall for such a wonderfully intricate and well written literary Rolex.

Wonder if Rams Rock wants work?

Jamie Lee's picture

In some ways, it seems Tammy becomes the Judus Goat, when terrorist, traitors, or the like need smoked out. At other times, she follows her orders and brings out hidden hatred in others.

It often good if one hand washes the other, giving opportunities to take the trash out with pregidence. Especially if the garbage truck has big guns.

Now that they've identified the head of the snake, isn't possible for him to suffer an accident of some kind? Or have a heart attack in his sleep? Or simply disappear? Seems like all the above could be handled by Rams Rock without any problems. Of course all of the snakes friends would need dealt with if Freedom First is to be completely smashed.

Others have feelings too.

Considering the crap Burgess

Considering the crap Burgess has caused, I think he needs to be sent on a "vacation" to the Bahamas. And let Samantha perform special acupuncture on him. The kind that relaxes the tongue. Or let Anna treat him with a special herbal injection. They could make it into a class for the next generation on how to make baddies talk (or is that sing?). >:-> And afterwards "reward" him with an "excursion" to the Bermuda triangle.

Migrant workers

Oh, I can just see OICA stepping in and presenting Burgess and several others all wrapped up, handcuffed, unconscious and presented for interviews at the BBC or Scotland yard, or let them be found in the house of Commons as they open to meet. Glorious! And probably considered an act of war if ever discovered. I can see the headlines! With the old boys so ingrained,they would probably be given an apology and set free.

Or consider this: (on top of

Or consider this: (on top of the Victoria tower): "So, Mr. Burgess, do you want to hang with your intestines in or out?" "Ummm." "If you don't make a decision I'll make one for you." "Urrgghg." (Splatter, splatter)