Royal Retreat Part 11: Connections

Printer-friendly version
Royal Retreat  

Tammyverse Book 13
 

 

Royal Retreat
Part 11
Connections
Shiraz & Snowfall

 


Royals, Football, a Dude & Fur Missiles.
Life's getting complicated with too many connections.

 
Please note this is a work of fiction and any references to real people, real institutions or real heavily armed military units are for artistic purposes only!
 

Tammy’s Puma helicopter took off from the grass on Kestrel Island for the hop back to Rams Rock. Their female passenger, Lucinda Olsonova, was complaining, but Tammy had decided not to sedate her, that was a matter for the medics. The girls, who still didn't know the woman, had searched her and had bagged up her few belongings for later examination.

Former Captain Kyle Fielding was still very unconscious, following his sedation by Tammy. Given that he was been unable to object to anything Tammy asked that he be searched fully. Commander Traeger obliged, aided by one of the girls.

“Do we need a chain of evidence, for court purposes?”

Tammy hadn’t expected this. “To be honest I don’t know, can we record everything? Do you have a pocketbook Commander?”

“Yes.”

“Good, I will take the notes and counter-sign it for legal purposes. Can we do the same for this lady's possessions?”

“We don’t know who she is.”

“She is an associate of someone who posed a threat to an heir to the throne. Her name is irrelevant.”

They were met by the joint force medics and an armed escort. Tammy concerned herself with the aircraft, so allowed Traeger to deal with the handovers, but first issued an instruction.

“Commander, ladies, please write this up but pass your reports directly to me or Maisie. Do not keep a personal copy or allow anyone else to see your report.”

“Now?”

“No, lose any kit then let’s see if we can catch the match, I just need to finish the log and arrange for a refuelling.”

The girls, looking odd in a mix of bikinis and combat boots, marched away from the Puma. Tammy, in flats, was now carrying her frock as well as her equipment but the air was very still and the warmth of the day persisted.

It took a few minutes to get to the British command centre and she found both prisoners in the med bay. Kyle would be out for another half an hour but he had been secured and would be given a full examination in due course. Ms Olsonova had now been sedated and a number of wounds were being attended to by the British doctor. One of the nurses came over to her.

“No-one can tell me her name and she wasn’t very co-operative.”

“Is that necessary?”

“Yes, but only for medical purposes. In this case it will help us communicate with her regarding her treatment and recovery.”

“Okay, she’s Lucinda Olsonova.”

“Date of birth?”

“Not known, at least I haven't been advised.”

“Okay, thank you. She was talking in English but with an obvious accent? Is she from one of the Baltic States?”

“Estonia. How did you know?”

“I took part in several exercises around the Baltic and Northern North Sea and that allowed some runs ashore.”

Tammy concluded there was nothing more that she could do so next saw the armourer to return the unspent weapons.

Shouts and whistles took her to the field that was being used for the football game, the standard Association Football as played the world over. A makeshift scoreboard gave the score in the Prince's Caribbean Cup as two-apiece. The teams had full kit, sporting either red and white or blue and white, so were named ‘Blues’ or ‘Reds’.

Maisie and Mindy were in standard referee black and the girls were concentrating hard as the play was hard, very hard, and fast. These guys were fit and on heat!

“Foul!”

“I n’ver touched him!”

That prompted a yellow card, mostly for the dissent. A red followed, Tammy realised he must have been a repeat offender.

“Off!”

Reds were now down to ten men but there was barely 10 minutes left on the clock. Blues, however, took advantage and sent a man down the wing, with a cross to centre. That was intercepted by Reds, badly.

Maisie pointed at the penalty spot. Mindy was parallel to the spot with her flag down.

Tammy recognised the player who walked up to place the ball on the spot, he’d been the first to offer her an aircraft. The Red’s goalkeeper didn’t stand a chance as the ball was slotted into the top left corner. She joined in the applause.

The game settled into a midfield scrap for the remaining minutes until, finally, Maisie blew three long blasts on her whistle.

The ref picked up the match ball then called Mindy to join her as she took the ball to the Prince as a memento of the game.

On invitation, the Captain of the Blues then led his team past the Royal couple, followed by the Reds. Kimberly produced a trophy and handed it to Prince William. He read the inscription and chuckled.

"I now pronounce the winner of the Prince's Royal Caribbean Cup Match: Her Majesty's Special Boat Service! Well done and you now have an special honour to defend on the next Royal visit!" Prince William announced and handed over the trophy.

"Our many thanks, Highness. We'll do our utmost to defend!" Lieutenant McGeorge accepted the trophy then turned and held it high. "GO BLUES!"

The winning team cheered then shook hands with the Reds. Assurances were made of the next time a match was played.

Maisie walked over to Tammy. “They want to speak to you.”

“Me?”

“Yes, you’re up next.”

Tammy hadn’t managed to have a wash and so far had only used wet wipes in the aircraft to ensure she left it clean.

“I’m barely decent and I can't …. I mean, is there any blood or mud on me?”

“Go!”

The Prince was shaking hands with the Red team so Tammy followed the last Red team member.

“Your Highnesses?” She curtsied.

“We are given to understand that today’s events were your idea?”

“I can hardly take the credit, Sir.”

“Also that you personally detained a known terrorist?”

“Ah.”

“Please don’t think we didn’t know what was going on, our security detail are under instructions to tell us about any threat. A separate assessment is done back in London.”

“I see, I’m sorry to have inconvenienced your Highnesses.”

“Not at all, we've been having a marvellous time. Now I believe you had a concern about your team missing the barbecue?”

“Yes, unavoidable.”

“Fortune smiles; we only had snacks earlier. The main meal should be ready shortly, please join us on our table Captain Smart.”

“I’m hardly dressed!”

“I order you to stay as you are, and I’ll deal with any flack later!”

“Sir!”

She did manage to escape to her cabin on the pretence of needing a restroom so that allowed Tammy to freshen, find a fourth (similar) bikini and swap her sneakers for sandals. A touch of lippy and a brush through her hair were all that were needed before she was ready to face the public, and Royals, again.

Her phone was now attached to her briefs and beeped.

“Well done, best speed to UK custody.”

It was still Easter Sunday and Tammy was well aware that the next day was a public holiday in the UK but still barely past midnight. Tammy called Col MacTaggart.

“Colonel, I can arrange for Commander Traeger to accompany Fielding, but I don’t want to go via US airspace.”

“We’ll send a jet to the Bahamas. Is Ms Olsonova fit to travel?”

“You have her name?”

“It was supplied via a back channel.”

“Understood. She’s in surgery right now. I’m guessing that a decision will be taken later. In any case she’s collateral and we have no idea how she arrived in the islands.”

“Ah, so the local authorities might have jurisdiction?”

“Correct, and sometimes it’s best to let our hosts show goodwill to sister agencies.”

“I fully understand, but Wells might not?”

“I think I’ve done enough, Sir, to show him that my ideas are valid and my methods produce results?”

“Aye, that’s my impression too, Tammy. Now, we need to talk about Wade?”

“I haven’t heard from him at all since we left Northolt. I am more than happy about that”

“His detachment ends on Friday so I’m expecting him back from next weekend.”

“That timing might be awkward. I believe the Royals are leaving Thursday morning to Miami and spending a few days there before flying onwards. The rest of the military could leave as soon as that evening. That probably leaves Maisie, Lizzie and myself on a red-eye Saturday night, arriving Sunday morning.”

“I’ll need all of you for a debrief.”

“Can’t we go home first?”

“Sorry, Tammy, this is out of my hands. You have annoyed a few people and a similar number want to give you a gong. Ultimately your own testimony will decide your future.”

“Okay, I guess I can’t break the rules and just get away with it – even if it achieves results?”

“That’s right, Tammy, but that’s partly because of the way you were recruited and partly the way Wade handled you.”

“So what now?”

“To be decided, but you did good, so has your partner and Miss Harrison.”

“Thank you Sir.”

“Keep me informed, I’m going to bed!”

Tammy hung up and decided to leave her phone in the cabin. She made her way to the marquee that had been erected and walked to the top table. Kate beckoned her to an empty seat. Tammy could almost feel the anger from one or two of the senior British military crew as she looked back down the marquee.

“Tell me, Captain, how did you achieve it?”

“It’s Tammy, Ma’am. Achieve what?”

“Then please call me Kate. Taking that man down single handed?”

“We have previous, I know him.”

“Jilted lover, perhaps?”

“One night of leisure, barely pleasure and never repeated. The next time we met I beat him in a fair fight so he tried to play dirty. He lost, big, in front of the Black Watch. Later he tried to break into a secure storage facility.”

“Remind me not to tussle with you! I asked for a photograph, he’s not a small man.”

“I’m fit and I used his weight to my advantage. He was arrogant, still is, and needed his ego polished. I refused.”

“I’m told he lost his commission?”

“Yes, I became his sole focus. That was one reason why I had to handle him myself, to destroy him. He had hooked up with a known terrorist group and that alone made him very dangerous. We’ll interview both, but I’ve just been ordered to send him back to the UK tomorrow. I believe he’s being treated as an enemy combatant.”

“What does that mean?”

“He has to hope that the Americans don’t have a claim to him as that could mean a one way trip to Guantanamo in an orange suit. Or worse.”

“Wow, that is bad.”

“Did you know he was scheduled to command a security team at the Commonwealth Games in Australia, and had been training for quite some time? Our security team informed us.”

Tammy blinked. "Oh dear. I believe it was mentioned he was on the contingent, but I don't recall mention of his position."

“Those Games start this week and we’re planning to be there for the closing ceremony in two weeks to accept the nomination of Birmingham for the 2022 Games on behalf of the Queen.”

“Oh, I haven’t seen the news so those dates passed me by.”

“Thing is, Tammy, will we be safe?”

“That’s a relative term. I’m certain that every member of the security teams will be checked – again – in case of sympathisers, but things can still happen. The only sensible method is to plan, then train and train, training for all eventualities.”

“I would feel better if you were on board?”

“With respect, Your Highness, Kate, that’s not how I work. I have to debrief after this week is over and that’s likely to be a two or three day affair and then I have a home and a business to manage as well as a wedding to plan. We’re also hoping that my partner becomes pregnant with our child this summer. Finally, I need to work out how to sort out the mess that is my degree course.”

“Oh, a Problem?”

“Someone has a maths problem. They added one plus one and came up with sixty-nine. Potentially two careers have been destroyed by one girl with an attitude problem and a Vice Chancellor who has decided he doesn’t like me.”

“Why would that be?”

“I’ve proved him wrong too many times. I warned them that my prior relationship with my tutor could cause a problem.”

“Relationship?”

“He was a Special Branch officer who was tasked with protecting me and others. I knew his wife before him as she helped get me on the stage in my last year at school.”

“I was told that you had appeared in some plays, but there was trouble?”

“My début was memorable, for the wrong reasons. My co-star was dragged off the stage, we had the local chief of police in the front row so he dealt with the offender himself.”

A selection of food was brought to them so Tammy took what she needed, keeping close to her diet sheet. That meant an end to her interrogation for the time being. Alcohol was on offer but Tammy declined, opting for fruit juice instead.

It was near eleven when the Royals were flown back to Kestrel. As she waved them away Tammy noted that the Huey was back.

-o-

Monday dawned early and Tammy was back on the beach for PT. Kimberly had a quiet word before Tammy could escape for some chow.

“You owe me a forfeit.”

“I know, but I’ve been busy.”

“You did good. Keep it up, don’t drop yourself in it again and I’ll let this one go. Screw up again and I’ll have you running around the island on your hands.”

“Understood.”

“Good, now you and I have tasking as soon as you’ve fed. Grab a Puma.”

Tammy was caught by Wells as she took her place for breakfast.

“It seems London are quite pleased.”

“That’s excellent news, Sir.”

“Except I’ve been told to send your prisoner back later today and that means losing someone as senior escort.”

“I see.”

“I believed you would be best for that task, given your apparent intimate knowledge of the man, but other people don’t agree with me.”

Tammy couldn’t be certain if Wells knew what he claimed to know.

“So who is going?”

“Commander Traeger and one of the corporals.”

“He’s a fine officer.”

“I know, but a certain seniority was demanded and that meant I have had to lose him for the rest of the deployment.”

“I understand.”

“Good, because that would not have been my plan. What are you doing today?”

“Our hosts have asked me to accompany them, I would imagine it’s intelligence related and I’m going to be flying. If it helps I do need to keep my hours up so this is effectively training that I can book.”

“I would hope there is a British angle to this intelligence mission, as I’m finding it difficult to justify otherwise.”

“I would love to take an Apache. But it isn't an option.”

“Don’t tell me you’re qualified?”

“Not yet but I have hours as pilot and gunner.”

“You’ll be telling me you’re an expert on submersibles next?”

“No, Sir, no-one has thought it necessary as yet. I’m still twenty one years old, so there’s plenty of time.”

“Jeez, I’m dealing with a kid!”

“That’s ageist, Sir. I would hate for you to add the crimes of sexism and bigotry to that.”

“I’ll ignore that, for now, but you need to hear something. Fielding did say something that concerns me greatly, that you’re male despite appearances?”

“Really? I’m disappointed.”

“Why?”

“He should have been laughed at!”

“He made an allegation and that needs to be resolved.”

“Well, I’m not going to be screwed over a falsehood, physically or metaphorically. If you believe there’s an issue then I strongly suggest you call Colonel MacTaggart and ask him to confirm my gender from the last medical? So far as Mr Fielding is concerned, I would not trust one word of what he says. Does the death penalty still exist for treason?”

“Not in the UK.”

“Shame, fancy calling up the Americans?”

“That’s harsh.”

“Tell the Queen that, he targeted her grandson. I believe he might be trying to buy himself out of his own problem.”

“Dismissed.”

Tammy’s appetite wasn’t great and she had the feeling that others were looking at her oddly. She walked back to her cabin, finding Maisie in there.

“I heard.”

“You as well?”

“Hey, I did my best to tell them it was rubbish! Your recent bikinis don’t hide much!”

“Great, Kyle might just have destroyed my career?”

“It’ll blow over. I understand that police officer, the liaison one, is telling them that he knew you as a girl in Cornwall three years ago.”

“I hope he forgets that I was using an alias back then?”

“Were you, even then? Anyway a few of the special forces guys said they’d met you, as Beccy, around the same time.”

“I got around.”

“Yeah, apparently they wanted to get close to you but you were a prude?”

“No, if I had allowed one then the whole troop would have wanted a turn.”

“What was it?”

“A special forces training facility.”

“That explains a few things, but who is Daniel?”

Tammy blushed. “A boy, a boy I knew.”

“Hmmm, so he got you?”

“Maybe. Bruce met Daniel so some of them will know him, I guess Bruce is in Australia for the Games?”

“You’ll have to tell me more? How many of the special forces guys have you screwed?”

“That’s not fair!”

“Tamara Smart, how many?”

“One.”

“Kyle?”

“Yeah, we all make mistakes but now I really want to forget it.”

Tammy searched the cupboards and found a box of breakfast bars. She munched one and drank juice with it. Tammy then changed into a flightsuit and boots then went to the hangar.

"Jeremy. I bet you can answer a little question for me." Lyssa announced loudly as she walked inside.

All heads turned and couldn't look away. Her heels looked impossibly high and the dress was so short and low cut, it might qualify as indecent in certain locations. Tammy remembered being told by her that such dresses were referred to as 'illegal dresses', as unfortunately one could almost expect to be molested or even arrested when wearing them.

Wells almost gawked but nodded. "I'll certainly do my best, MiLady."

Tammy paused by the coffee service and absently poured a cup for herself. She was curious as to what Lyssa was doing, since her voice tinged with sarcasm. Several personnel had stopped their activities as well. She did have to admit; when Lyssa wanted attention, she knew how to get it.

Lyssa stopped next to the British officer. "For some reason, it seems a rumor about Captain Smart is flying around."

"Er.." Wells froze in awkwardness.

"I find that highly confusing. Especially since I gifted her that pink Valentino bikini, you know; the one that no woman could even think hiding the use of a TAMPON in it? You DO remember it, yes?" Lyssa prompted.

Wells nodded. "Yes. I do remember it."

"I'm fairly certain everyone on this island and a Coast Guard Cutter remember it. Including Their Highnesses." Lyssa remarked then seemed to be inspecting her manicure.

Again Wells nodded. "I believe so."

Lyssa checked her other hand. "In fact, the Duchess remarked that even if she weren't pregnant, she still wouldn't be able to get away with wearing such revealing swimwear. SO; that brings us back to this rumor."

"I believe I see.." Wells started but Lyssa cut him off.

Lyssa stepped closer. "Exactly. You have seen. Everyone has seen. I'm fairly certain one or two took a picture all sneakily-like. So; with all that going on, why don't you fill me in as to how said rumor could get any traction at all? Being that I've provided the good Captain every piece of swimwear she's worn during the stay here. I've been accommodating to help with the undercover aspects of your operations, this is the thanks I get?"

"I. Uh. Well, that's to say. Um." Wells tried to begin and quickly lost all direction.

A glance around and he found every set of eyes in the hangar on him, waiting to hear anything.

Wells finally shook his head. "I honestly have no clue, Milady."

"You'd think if something were out of the ordinary it would certainly have been noticed before, right?" Lyssa drawled the last word.

After clearing his throat, he answered. "I believe so."

Lyssa looked out the doors. "I've seen quite bit in my time on the runway and stage. But I've never seen anybody even think they could hide ANYTHING in a bikini like that. So you understand why I would be confused at such a rumor?"

Wells nodded. "Yes. I believe I do understand."

"GREAT!" Lyssa smiled. "Then I suggest you'll have whoever started it come to my backyard for a little session."

"I'm sorry, but the prisoner is going to be transported." Wells shook his head.

Lyssa wagged her finger. "Oh no, you have the wrong idea. I mean the one among YOUR contingent. Terrorists lie about things all the time, I'm told. No, no. The soldier, sailor, medic, whoever; that turned it lose among your people. I want that one. Somebody needs some exercise and that person will fit the bill."

Lyssa whistled loudly then called out. "KÓMMEN!"

Warlock ran inside and looked up at her.

"You don't mean?" Wells asked, looking to the tactical dog and back.

Lyssa's smile was pure sadism. "Oh yeah. My boy needs a live target for training and since your people have time for gossip, one can help out."

Tammy watched quietly as everyone that had been paying attention suddenly turned away and appear to be fixated on anything else. The change was almost instant. All knew the dog was an anti-personnel k-9. None wanted to be its target either.

Suddenly Warlock growled then barked aggressively, which echoed in the building.

"So; who's going to help out?" Lyssa asked loudly, but continued to look at Wells.

"I will." Wells cleared his throat again. "Err, see about a volunteer."

"Fantastic!" Lyssa turned and walked out. "My backyard, twenty minutes. Toodles, Jeremy. Warlock, kómmen."

The black Belgian trotted along beside her. Jeremy Wells looked around and all the British personnel were attempting to will themselves to be invisible. When he looked over and saw Tammy she sipped from the cup.

"Coffee, sir?" Tammy asked.

Wells shook his head and headed out. "No thank you, Captain. A Puma is ready for your flight."

"Wonderful, I'm sure nothing untoward will happen whilst I'm away?"

Tammy sipped again and grinned to herself. The coffee was good for a change.

Kimberly came down from the office. She was dressed casually in a pair of jeans, running shoes and slim strapped t-shirt. Her hair was tied back in a ponytail as well.

"Finish that so we can go." Kimberly said in passing.

Tammy drained the cup and tossed it into the basket. "It's good today."

"Better be. I made it." Kimberly replied.

Tammy laughed.

"Damn, I need a pee"

She was back a couple of minutes plater, finding Eddie as he came out with his clipboard. He joined her for the walk-around the chopper, both of them marking off on the sheets. Finally Eddie handed her a sheet.

"Flight plan. Don't take the aircraft swimming." Eddie said then walked away.

Tammy climbed into the pilot's seat to plug herself in, Kimberly joined her in the co-pilot's seat. Tammy took a couple of minutes to finalise her checks then performed her start-up with the tower before, finally, taking off according to the flight-plan.

Soon enough they overflew a large island, Great Abaco. Kimberly was looking at a tablet and gave her course corrections. Tammy ended up landing in a field next to a hotel. Kimberly grabbed the bag after climbing out.

"So where are we?" Tammy asked.

Kimberly pointed to the building. "Blackfly Lodge. Schooner Bay. Fielding was hiding here as a snorkelling guide."

"Damn. What about Lucinda?" Tammy asked.

Kimberly led the way to the lodge. "We collected her effects while you were collecting her."

Tammy thought about it then remembered Carl leaving. "Ah. He had to go see a 'dude'. Now I get it."

Kimberly said nothing as they walked in and up to the counter. "Morning, Chris."

"Morning Ma'am. Are you?" The desk man asked.

Kimberly produced a credential wallet and flashed it. "Susan Lantner, United States National Security Agency. This is Captain Tamara Smart, British government, obviously."

Chris nodded. "Yes Ma'am. I could see the helicopter landing from here. Here is the key to Mister Felder's room."

Kimberly took the key and waved Tammy to follow. "Thank you. We'll be quick."

Tammy followed up the stairs and down the hall to the room. She waited until they were inside.

"National Security Agency?" Tammy asked.

Kimberly shrugged. "Sure. By the way, we're chasing a terrorist trying to smuggle a nuke into the States. Kyle Fielding, A.K.A. Kenneth Felder, is a very dangerous man."

Tammy's jaw dropped. "Wow! No wonder the desk man was so quick to cooperate."

Kimberly tossed Tammy a small device. "Find any electronics. Bugs, cameras, I'm looking for his comms."

Tammy used the detector and started by the door and swept down the wall. She found a camera connected to a motion sensor in a vent.

"This looks improvised." Tammy stated, looking at the set.

Kimberly glanced over. "Easy to make. The motion sensor is from an outdoor light set. Any heat related movement in its field activates the camera to start recording."

"Like the maids and so on?" Tammy asked.

"No. They put him up here and he would have to request housekeeping. Accommodation is taken out of his pay. He gets a discount at the nearby restaurant to eat there. That's how most places here do things for non-resident workers."

Kimberly continued her searching then found a large suitcase behind the headboard of the bed. "This looks promising."

She opened the luggage and found a comms set. However she frowned, looked around then went to the window and looked out. She pulled a cable in through the window and showed it to Tammy.

"We have to go up on the roof." Kimberly said. "Let's finish up in here."

Quickly they gathered up the remaining items then went up to the roof. Hidden beside an air conditioning unit was an extendible radio antenna and a small satellite dish. Both were taken down and packed into a duffel bag from the room.

Once that task was complete they headed back down to reception. Kimberly stopped at the desk and handed Chris a packet of folded bills.

"This never happened. We were never here." Kimberly said.

Chris nodded, pocketing the money. "Just a breeze through the windows."

Kimberly and Tammy went back to the Puma and took off.

They overflew Freeport on the way back, booking a landing then cancelling it, before touching back down on Rams Rock,

"What now?" Asked Tammy.

"We tear this apart and find out who he was talking to! Didn't you do this at Cheltenham or in Room 40?"

"Not as such."

"Time to learn."

Tammy did her post flight before following Kim back into the hanger. She had absolutely no wish to make herself visible to the rest of the personnel until Wells had nuked the nasty rumour.

She was met and directed to the office. Lizzie entered a moment later

"You sent for me, Ma'am?"

Kimberly nodded. "Correct. We have the seized comms used by the opposition. As you and Tammy have taken courses, you are both needed here."

"Yes, Ma'am." Lizzie answered, turning to Tammy in recognition of a morsel of her history.

Tammy asked. "I guess it's a Faraday Cage in here?"

"Not hardly. Did you see the duffel bag I was using?"

"That?"

"It's non-standard, and Kyle will have used it to get past security. The bag is lined with a steel web and a graphite coating. Any electronics will be blocked."

"I see. That wasn't covered in my course."

"Yeah, those courses need improvement. Let's turn it on and see where it tries to connect to."

Kim first connected it to some diagnostic equipment before applying the power, then set up a receiver that mimicked the supposed receiver.

"Damn, that's a satellite connection ... hold on."

Kim pulled up a list from a database and selected a frequency. Lizzie watched silently.

"That's a private Inmarsat node, mid-Atlantic, geostationary orbit. Fun, fun, fun. My guess the recipient is in Europe?" Kimberly said sounding annoyed.

Lizzie asked. "How can we find the other end?"

"Connect it for real and follow the packets." Kimberly answered.

Tammy felt there was more to it. "And?"

"The satellite may or may not reveal our location." Kimberly replied.

"Shit." Tammy and Lizzie said in unison.

"Quite, but the diagnostic stuff is here."

"Double merde."

"Plus ou moins, Tammy." Kimberly stated.

"So?"

"We use a different antenna array."

"Where?" Lizzie asked.

"You don't need to know. Give me a minute to connect this up."

Tammy and Lizzie waited ten, fifteen, maybe twenty minutes before Kimberly finally got back to her with an answer.

Kimberly said while writing notes. "Winchester, UK, that's the area where the downlink is."

"I've been past the place. Oh. Oh Hell. That's near where Maisie's father is." Tammy groaned.

"Army?"

"Yes, there's a base there."

"Then somebody has a problem." Kimberly said flatly tossing the pen down.

Tammy sighed. "And that somebody may very well be me."

"Maybe. Maybe not. You need to send this up through proper channels." Kimberly said and gave her a very firm look.

Tammy nodded. "I'll see if I can find Lieutenant Colonel Wells."

"Wells?" Carl echoed, walking in.

Kimberly nodded. "Where is he?"

"Trying to talk Lyssa out of using somebody as practice for the fur missile." Carl replied. "Twenty bucks says he ends up on the receiving end instead."

Lizzie looked over to Tammy. "Fur missile?"

"Lady Mason's tactical dog." Tammy explained.

Lizzie nodded in understanding. "Oh. Wait. What kind of practice exactly?"

Carl, Kimberly and Tammy all answered. "Attack practice."

"But the dog is trained to kill, isn't it?" Lizzie looked alarmed.

Kimberly nodded. "Yes. Only Lyssa and Rodrick can give his kill commands. Not even I can command him to do so. Any other command, I can give and he will obey."

"Carl." Lyssa's voice came over a radio.

Carl grabbed the radio from his hip. "Go, Boss-chick."

"Grab the target gear and set it out. Jeremy can't seem to locate a volunteer so he's going to take the job. We'll do this in front of the hangars." Lyssa informed them.

Kimberly signalled Carl to hand the radio over and said to Lyssa. "Can you hold off on that for a little while. We need him."

"Sure. Warlock can wait a little longer." Lyssa said then addressed Wells while still hot on the mic. "Imagine that...you get a temporary stay. Go see Kim. Sounds like somebody is about to piss in your cheerios."

"Got that right." Kimberly commented, more to herself than anyone else.

A few minutes later Jeremy Wells walked in. "What can I do for you Captain?"

Kimberly pointed to Tammy and Lizzie. "Them."

Tammy pointed to the comms unit. "We retrieved Fielding's effects. His comms unit is the problem."

Kimberly handed him the sheet of paper she had made notes on.

"Bloody Hell! Winchester? Tell me this isn't the base!" Wells demanded.

Lizzie spoke up. "It may or may not be, Sir. We have to send this up to find out for sure."

"It's the only way, Sir." Tammy seconded.

Wells mentally argued with himself then swore. "Of all the ruddy fucking things! We need this like a damned lamp post up our arses! Bring that kit and come to our comm centre. Both of you. Thank you, Captain Lando. I'm not even going to ask how exactly you and Captain Smart secured all of that."

"The Franklin team took care of it." Kimberly replied.

Wells blinked. "I'm not familiar with this Franklin team."

"Hundred dollar bills." Carl said. "She bought off a Dude."

Lizzie asked. "Dude?"

"Remember this Lizzie, there's always a Dude." Tammy remarked.

Wells looked at Kimberly. "And you simply bought him off?"

Carl grinned. "Like the song goes; the pay offs, the rip offs and the things nobody saw."

"You're all barking, and yet you still get away with it?" Jeremy shook his head.

Kimberly shrugged. "As the kids say, it's how we roll. Have fun with that."

After Tammy and Lizzie disassembled the comms kit they followed him to the British command centre.

"Connect me to Colonel MacTaggart, secure video link." Wells ordered.

The Sergeant nodded. "Straight away, Sir!"

Soon the monitor came on. "What is it Wells?"

"Sir we have a situation. Captain Smart, with the assistance of our hosts, secured Fielding's communications. His satellite downlink is nearWinchester. I have the information for you to track it locally." Jeremy stated and read off the information.

MacTaggart finished writing it all down. "I'll get a team on that straight away. Captain; how were you able to secure Fielding''s kit?"

"Dame Lando and a team of Franklins, sir?" Tammy replied.

The big Scot repeated. "Franklins?"

"They purchased access and discretion, Sir." Wells clarified.

MacTaggart sighed. "Franklins, of course. I believe I understand. Not surprising. Things work that way over there Jeremy. Mason and his people know how to make things happen their way, it's their area. We're not the only ones to ask favours of them."

"They do run rather fast and loose, as the saying goes." Jeremy remarked.

MacTaggart tapped his pen on his desk. "You didn't mind last time. You were quite happy to run right along side of them."

"That was then, Sir." Jeremy tried to deflect.

MacTaggart grinned. "And now you are in command and understand you're directly responsible instead of me?"

"In a word; yes, Sir." Jeremy answered.

The sly grin was obvious, but Tammy noticed a shift of his gaze was directed at her. It would seem that she was doing unto Wells what he had done unto Sean. She realised that the turnabaout was fair play, to an extent, and was no different to her own approach. Had she, somehow, learned from a master?

"Then we all have things to do. Out." MacTaggart signed off.

{Continues}

Tammy Beginnings follows sixteen year old Tom Smart as he starts his voyage of self discovery. This is an expanded Preludes story.
Powered armor with a crew of two works best when the man and woman inside are romantically linked. But Dylan’s last love left him without hope and Alison’s experience with abuse has made her afraid of being touched.

Contains strong language and adult situations.

Can the Self-contained Powered Armor they wear bring them together, or is even trying going to be a disaster? Love is a combination the two can only dream of in this science fiction romance!.

up
338 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A mystery…

Almost better than a cliffhanger. Thanks to the both of you for a GREAT story! This seems to indicate a further adventure back in ‘Jolly Old’.

An avid reader

A mystery…

Almost better than a cliffhanger. Thanks to the both of you for a GREAT story! This seems to indicate a further adventure back in ‘Jolly Old’.

An avid reader

This is an absolutely awesome chapter yet

WillowD's picture

This is one of the best Tammy chapters that I've ever read. Although it does raise a lot of questions over what Tammy is personally going to be doing over the next few weeks. She needs to spend a few days justifying her recent activities to the high command. She needs to get ready for the trip to the race tracks. She needs to go to the race tracks. Someone needs to investigate the Sheffield base and yes, that does NOT need be her. But lets face it, this is a Tammy story.

So, yup, there is practically a promise of lots of upcoming future action.

On a side note, I wonder if Warlock will get to participate in his attack training exercise.

A Rodent's Rectum

joannebarbarella's picture

Everybody hates Tammy, at least amongst the hierarchy of the British Army and Fielding and his associates. As they say "no good deed goes unpunished".

You two ladies are making this series un-put-downable. Thanks for another great episode, but you let Colonel Wells off too lightly!

Well I hope that Tammy isn't burned (again) by all of this

Julia Miller's picture

It seems that everyone is in cover your ass mode right now, especially the British. Tammy is unorthodox and this may come back to bite her. It remains to be seen. I somehow think she will be saved by a directive from Buckingham, but that remains to be seen.

Tammy's Get Out Of Jail Free Card (or is it gaol?)

Yes, person or persons unknown have it in for Tammy. However, and it is a big however, Sean MacTaggart and Sir Thomas Addington have her back. Col. MacTaggart will hold sway with the military and to a lesser extent, the intelligence community. His comments to General Tinnington about Paul Dannigan (book 24 of the Lyssa Kordenay Missions) after reported the death of General Whitacre bear this out: "MacTaggart chuckled, MacTaggart chuckled, "oh he's a fair vicious one Paul Dannigan is. Everyone wants him under their flag until he goes to work then they want to be shot of him double quick."
That surprised Tinnington, "How so?"
"Oh make no mistake. For quiet operations of a highly compact unit; there's none better for counter operations. More than a fair hand at being pro-active but he tends to be more than a bit of a maverick as the Yanks say," MacTaggart commented."

Sir Thomas is at the top of the intelligence hierarchy. As long as Tammy can demonstrate a logical decision making process and has plausible sources for information used in the decision making process, Sir Thomas will ensure that no one screws with Tammy. He knows exactly who her control is and has a damned good idea as to the extent of her training by OICA. If anyone doubts that, look at how he and Sean MacTaggart handled the after action reports from the capture of Penny Lavoska in "Deja Flew chapter 10":

"Sir Thomas picked up a document and looked over to Sophie. "DI Grieve; you stated in your report that there was a fourth, yet undetermined, member of the team that went to 'procure' Miss Lavoska."
"Yes Sir. A woman joined us at the airport before take-off. I believe her to be American. Though, I have no idea as to her identity." Sophie stated.
Sir Thomas set the page down. "I'm afraid the report is inaccurate. The team tasked with apprehending Miss Lavoska consisted of only three members; yourself, Sergeant Staines and Lieutenant Smart as Officer in Charge; Task Force Claymore. Claymore being a temporary element within Special Operation Force Broadsword. Colonel MacTaggart, here with us, is in charge of Broadsword. Colonel?"
MacTaggart stood. "Thank you Sir Thomas. DI Grieve, I understand military procedures and protocols are a bit alien to you and I'm sure you are rather confused as well DI Keane. I'll clear that up, this was not a Police operation and the normal protocols did not apply until Ms Lavoska arrived in that cellblock. Any report is subject to military vetting and most certainly marked Top Secret."

Jeremy's Dissonance

Jeremy has been having trouble working with Tammy and understanding her actions because she just doesn't fit into the expected mold he has for her. With the events in this chapter his dissonance is at the boiling over point and he will have to deal with the fallout. Tammy conducted a flawless mission that met or exceeded all operational parameters and goals. She is showing a remarkable understand of the the 3D chessboard that upon which this assignment is being played. She has performed her duties with a level of thoughtfulness, respectfulness and caring that she has earned the admiration of the Royals. She is making Jeremy look damned good. To top it all off, he just found out she is 21 years old, which is an unheard of age for captain in peacetime. And for all of this, he allowed Kyle Fielding's claim that Tammy used to be a male to spread and fester and now will serve as Warlock's training target in return.

I suspect there will be two results from this. 1) There will be a harsh dressing down of the troops involved in spreading the rumor, he will do his damnedest to find out who spread the rumor and there will be serious punishment for the miscreant. 2) He will realize that Tammy was assigned to this mission for the exact capabilities she demonstrated and that while his more conventional methods of protecting the Royals may have been effective, they would have been stressful unpleasant for the Royal family to experience. Jeremy will consult and plan with Tammy privately so that the chain of command is respected publicly.

Shiraz and Snowfall, with every chapter you drag me deeper and deeper into Tammy's life and I'm loving every minute of it. Thank you for your writings.

Austrailia

smdani4mm's picture

I'm still wondering if the Royals Australia trip connection will come back to be a tasking to Tammy and fledgling team.

Dani

SmDani4

I would like to see

Tammy and crew in OZ,but I don't think it will happen. 1) She has no training for this nor anything that may come of it. 2) she is totally unfamiliar with the area, the people involved, the geography. 3) she has no resources to fall back on.

She could contribute little if anything to event security. Same with site security. And she has absolutely no idea of person bodyguarding. I can actually see the Brits going face down to deny this.

Oh, such fun!

I don’t acknowledge enough by commenting, just how much I enjoy these adventures. The vicarious romp through apprehending terrorists, jumping into helicopters, and being part of such a clandestine family of elite professionals, layered on well researched and excellent, readable writing, just has me wonderfully anxious and pining for the the next chapter.

Thank you.

Lamp post

It looks like somebody in Winchester is going to get a lamp post shoved up his / her ass.

Thx for another nice chapter^^

Jeremy learn?

Jamie Lee's picture

Jeremy had to be disappointed he couldn't take Tammy and her team back in cuffs. Or be able to charge her with all of the offenses he told her about.

Those handling Tammy need to have a talk with him, one that stresses his tenure in the military if he doesn't put his ball busting on hold. And if he doesn't learn when to apply the manual and when it's best he knows nothing of what's occurring.

Now they know where Fielding's comm linked to, it may surprise them who they discover receiving his messages.

Others have feelings too.

Plausible Deniability

joannebarbarella's picture

There is a time-honoured phrase for implementing this function in many armies:-

"CARRY ON SERGEANT!"

Cliffhanger?

It starts to clear of haze. We get a glimpse of where the payback starts. Hope maize's dad is in the clear or at least periphery. I hope Lizzie's slot can be shaken enough so she is usable. She is even more unskilled than Suzie at this point, and needs to be shown the ropes. And how she fits in, and she may even have to vanish back into the raf if she can't catch on. Almost no survival skills.