Barber

Printer-friendly version

Barber

“I want a buzz cut like my dad and brothers,” I said to the barber sitting down. “No,” he replied calmly.

 

 

Note to readers. Don't read if you don't like poor grammar, this is rough.
This is a work of adult fiction. No resemblance to reality should be inferred or expected.
Copyright… are you kidding?

 

 

To cut my hair was a kinda deadly sin according to my mom. It was THEN. When my mom was present. THEN my hair was trimmed once a month in the barbershop. The same as mom’s hair. Our hair was thick dark blonde and wavy. All three of my brothers and dad had thin dark brown straight hair. It looked greasy even immediately after the wash. All of them kept their hair short. Like buzz cut.

The barber shop owned by Mr. King was on the other side of the street from my dad’s hardware store. My older brother Mike and I were working with dad all summer. My other two brothers Nat and Gab were too young to work. But they were almost all day around here.

The delivery truck had called it would be late. So I had some time to myself. I decided to have a haircut. The same as my dad and brothers. Because I was tired of them teasing me and calling me names. Like mommy’s girl.

Mom had got into a car accident. And she was in the hospital now. She was put in a coma because of swelling in her head. Coma is kinda almost dead but still alive though like not here.

So we were living without her. And our home got messy in a few days. Five men in one place may cause a great mess. Dad and brothers were ok with it. But I felt it like a disrespect to mom. So I started cleaning and dusting. I did the laundry because dirty things were everywhere. And I started doing meals. Like the real meal in the kitchen. Cuz having pizza two times a day ten days in a row was too much.

When at home I was in mom’s leggings. Because all my things were dirty. Dad and brothers wore the same things that were not too dirty. Their words. The teasing started when they saw me in leggings and the hairband.

Kinda girl, momma’s girl, housewife, chick. They almost brought me to tears. Dad said I was the only girl in the family now. Then he admitted he was only teasing me.

“It’s your hair,” he said.

Then customers in the store addressed me as a miss. Dad looked at me sheepishly and shrugged while my bro Mike chuckled.

“Your hair,” dad said after customers left.

So it was my hair?

Then some hour later I noticed a speck of dirt on dad’s overalls. I said he needed to change.

“You’re such a girl!” he exclaimed.

No! Really! A girl? Because I was caring about our image. HIS store image. A girl because of hair. Enough was enough. If it’s the price of having nice hair, then no. Thank you very much! Buzz cut looks not so bad too. No shampooing, no brushing and combing, no worries, and no teasing.

The delivery truck was late and I had time. Barber’s pole was spinning on the other side of the street. I opened the door and entered. The doorbell rang and Mr. King turned to greet me.

“Howdy, honey?” he said. He addressed honey to everyone younger.

“Trimming as usual? Shoulder length?” he questioned.

“Not this time,” I replied.

“I want a haircut like my dad and brothers,” I explained sitting down on the pneumatic chair.

“No,” Mr. King said calmly.

“What do you mean as no? Why not?” I was shocked.

“No,” he said again.

“But why?”

“Hadn’t your mommy said it’s a deadly sin to cut your hair?”

“Well… yeah… But she’s not here and I’m an adult…”

“Adult? How old are you honey?” Mr. King asked with a smirk.

“Sixteen,” I responded. “And I have a driver’s license already.”

“Calm down and let’s have a talk,” he offered.

“Ok. I guess…”

“So what happened?” he asked.

I was about to retell what happened today and before. But I didn’t want dad and brothers to seem slobs.

“Dad said, I’m such a girl.” It was the last straw. But it was the only thing I could tell Mr. King not demeaning dad and brothers.

“I see…” the barber shook his head. “And you are not.”

“I’m not,” I confirmed, “so let’s cut that hair.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m NOT such a girl!” I retorted impatiently.

“Are you in a hurry?” Mr. King asked.

“Well… No. Why?”

“You are with young Baxter?” he asked instead.

My friend Joe’s surname was Baxter. Joe lived next door and we spent a lot of time together. It’s when I wasn’t at dad’s store.

“Yeah… Why?” I said.

Mr. King turned away from me and stepped through the door to the street.

“Hey! Mister!” I heard him shouting.

A moment later he had my friend Joe inside.

“Your friend young Katz is about to get a buzz cut,” the barber said. Katz is my surname.

“Why?” Joe turned to me.

“Cuz dad says I’m SUCH a girl,” I said in response. For Joe, I could say more. Actually, I could say him everything. But Mr. King was here and I didn’t want him to know what was happening in the family.

“Well…” Joe started, “sometimes you really are.”

“WHAT?!”

“Sometimes,” he said. “Usually you are cool.”

“But I’m not. How could you?” I felt I was on verge of tears.

“Here you are!” dad exclaimed entering the barbershop.

“Why hello Mr. Katz to you too,” Mr. King said.

“Oh! I’m sorry,” dad apologized, “hello everyone.”

There was a pause as if dad had forgotten what to say.

“Doctor has called from the hospital,” he said at last.

“Something with mom?” I asked worriedly.

“Well, yes. Your mother woke up,” dad started. “She’s fully conscious now and she wants to see her girl.”

“Whom?”

“You!”

“Why me?”

“Because only you pass,” dad responded. “By the way, what are you doing here?”

“I’m getting buzz cut,” I retorted.

“Why?” dad wondered.

“Because,” Mr. King said, “you named someone in this room SUCH A GIRL!”

“I did?”

“You did,” I confirmed.

“Oh boy…” dad exclaimed. “You really are such a girl!”

 

 

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Negative Reinforcement

Nothing that dad said in this clip was in any way positive in his son's life. Not even a backhanded compliment, just an (admittedely weak) smackdown. 'Gee, dad, thanks for the positive outlook. Excuse me while I go slit my wrists.'


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

That's a life

Does not support or offend. Like mild bullying in the family. Some think it's fun and don't think about the consequences.

Thank you for commenting.

Mild Bullying?

In the eyes of those being bullied, there ain't no such critter. Being the youngest, and with my health issues leaving me scrawny and not fit for sports, all I was good for in the eyes of others was being the victim. Believe me, being subjected to bullying 24/7 is mentally destructive in the long run. Some bullying may be less intense, but there is no such thing as "mild".

To loosely quote from Bobbie C's story, The Station's Late Night Princess, 'If you are continusly told you are worthless, eventually you will come to believe you are worthless.'


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Why do you always prefix your submissions

with a warning about your "rough grammar"? As a linguistic pedant, I have rarely, if ever, felt my hackles rise when reading one of your contributions. Many other authors on this site are persistent offenders.
The only thing which I find unjustifiable is your apologia.
Please continue to produce stories of you usual high quality. It is the STORY which matters, and while bad grammar disappoints me a good story can usually override my twinges. Some other (who I refuse to name here) authors' persistent writing deficiencies have led me to bypassing offerings with their by-line, because their story-line cannot override my linguistic disappointments.
Best wishes

Without a warning...

Without a warning... I get something like this - "Very tough read. I could only read half of it." or "I have no clue what the hell is going on here" or "The english needs a lot of work. It causes the writing to feel extremely stilted and fake." I can't disagree. English is neither my primary or secondary language.

Thank you for nice words.

Come on, come on

Don't underestimate yourself.

In principle I agree but I also understand QModo

My take on things like this (that might differ from QModo's in many ways) is close to yours. The story is what matters. That is why I post stories that are less than linguistically perfect without any warning text. However, repeated comments complaining about sometimes minor errors can be rather annoying. A preemptive text like QModo's spares the poster such comments.

Of course, an alternative would be to define a tag, perhaps under WARNINGS given how sensitive the issue can be for some people ;)

edit: This comment was written before QModo posted a reply.

Mom

Daphne Xu's picture

I'm glad to read that she's okay now.

I thought of Emma Watson.

-- Daphne Xu

Yes and no

I don't think you need to put warnings on your work. I speak tolerably good English, and that's about all I can speak, and I don't see much wrong with any of your work.

As Bru says, perhaps we need a Warning flag: Rough Edit, English is not my usual language, My Keyboard is Klingon, something like that. Speaking of Bru, from the style this could easily be one of theirs.

The thing I noticed was that the protagonist was never named. Only when you mentioned FIVE men in the house did I understand the narrator to be male. Until that point, I half expected the final punchline to be that the narrator was, in fact, the only daughter in the house.

Did I mention that it was a good story? Entirely believeable!

Penny

Your comment made me a bit nostalgic

Harking back to a time long, long ago, i.e. before Covid-19 when my university had "language cafés" where students and native speakers met for casual conversations. Admittedly the Klingon group moderator was not a native speaker, only fluent.

Thank you

I'm glad you liked it.

Regarding a warning. It will remain in my stories. Just because.

Necessary components

Andrea Lena's picture

As long as you've included consonants and vowels, I'm right there with you! Nice story BTW!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thank you

Thank you :)