Pink Bear Romance - Part 8

Printer-friendly version

 

Pink Bear Romance - Part 8
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2023 Melanie Brown

 


 

I started feeling better about things. Tuesday went by almost without any hitches. I still had to deal with boys both at the restaurant and in class. But for the most part all I had to do was tell them no. And I find it funny that Amy is pissed that I get all the boys’ attention.

And somehow I managed to avoid Larry coming and going from my room. Jerry of course came for lunch and finally…finally! had the chicken fried steak.

Wednesday was going to be different. I had to get up a bit earlier to have time to put on my make-up before my morning class. I don’t have to wear make-up, but by now everyone has seen me with make-up on so now I get attention if I don’t wear any. I have Amy to thank for that. I was going to apply for that job in the school bookstore.

And because I just felt like it, I wore a skirt and blouse along with a sweater with the school’s colors. I was also wearing the high heeled boots I had borrowed from Amy. I checked my make-up in the mirror before leaving my dorm room. I made kissy faces at the mirror and immediately hated myself for doing so.

At first, I was glad to see Larry’s door closed, but when I turned around, there he was sitting at the table in the common area with a coffee cup in his hand. As I approached, he downed the remaining contents of the cup and stood up.

Larry looked at me with a smile. “You look very nice today, Scotti. Sorry I don’t have time to chat. I gotta get to class.”

I smiled back at him and asked, “You have classes?”

He pointed at me and said, “Hah.” He picked up his book bag and turned towards the elevator.

I called out, “Hey! Hold the elevator! I’m going down too.”

Larry held the door as I scurried down the hall. “Thanks,” I muttered as I entered the elevator car.

As Larry punched the button for the first floor, he asked, “So, why are you in such a hurry this morning?”

I sighed. “Calculus.”

“You must love it being in such a hurry and all,” smirked Larry

I shook my head and said with a humorless grin and said, “Not exactly.”

Larry chuckled. He then asked, “Calculus? Do you know my bud, Alfred then?” I nodded, frowning at the memory. “If you see him, can you tell him that me and Stan will be about a half hour late? We’re having game day at his dorm this week. I don’t want him to order pizza too soon,”

I nodded. “If I see him, I’ll let him know. But I need to go.”

“Thanks. Yeah, me too. Laters.”

I didn’t want to have to hurry. It was a beautiful October morning, just cool enough to warrant wearing the sweater. Looking at the other girls walking across campus it was if we’d all gotten the memo as it seems we were all dressed alike. Okay. Strike that “we”. I’m not a girl. I looked at my reflection as I passed a large building with a lot of glass on the first floor. I stopped and looked. I heaved a sigh. Maybe I am a girl.

I finally reached the building that housed my math classes. I rode the elevator up with a couple of girls. One asked where I’d gotten my boots. All three of us giggled when I just replied “Borrowed from a friend.”

As I exited the elevator, I saw a figure coming out from his office. When he turned to come down the hall towards me, I actually missed a step.

Smiling as sweetly as I could, I said, “Good morning, Mr. Nichols!”

It’s stupid. He’s a guy. It shouldn’t matter. But I melted when he smiled at me and said, “Good morning! Scotti, right?” Oh my God! He remembered my name!

I stopped walking, but kept smiling. I said, “That’s right!” What a dazzling smile he has.

Grinning, he said, “I’ll have to come by Pink Bear sometime for lunch.”

Stunned that he spoke to me, I said, “Oh, that’d be great, Mr. Nichols! You’ll love our chicken fried steak!”

Still smiling, Mr. Nichols said, “Sounds great. I gotta run.” With a quick wave, he turned and headed on down the hall. I just stood there a moment and watched him.

An annoyed female voice from behind me said, “Give it up, little girl. He doesn’t date students.”

I turned around to see a very attractive, smartly dressed teacher’s assistant, probably in her late twenties standing behind me with her arms folded.

I said, “What? I’m not interested in dating Mr. Nichols.” Okay, that was a lie.

Shaking her head, the assistant said dourly, “You’re not the first little girl to look at him with little puppy dog eyes.”

Pissed that she’s called me a little girl twice, I said, “It’s none of your business and I’m not a little girl. I’m nineteen!”

The woman laughed. With genuine amusement, she said, “That even worse! He definitely doesn’t date teens.” Still chuckling, she started walking down the hall. My cheeks burning, I hurried to my class.

*          *          *

“Ms Zicke actually came out and said you can’t date Mr. Nichols?” asked an incredulous Amy when I told her about my run-in with the assistant. “What a bitch! I mean, did you ask him out or anything? And what’s it to her, anyway?”

“I don’t know what her problem is!” I exclaimed. “All I did was say good morning to him and watched him walk away for a moment.”

Amy laughed, “Maybe it was your drooling.”

I shook my head and said seriously, “I was not drooling!”

Joanie came out of her office and said, “No drooling during business hours.” Amy laughed.

Folding my arms, I said, “I wasn’t drooling.”

Amy giggled. “I’ll be honest with you Scotti. Mr. Nichols is most definitely worth drooling over.”

*          *          *

That evening, after finishing my shift at Pink Bear, I went to our floor’s little study area in the hall to look out the window at the darkening sky and the city lights. Some movement caught my eye and I looked down. I bit my lower lip as I watched Mr. Nichols and the assistant walking to the parking lot, holding hands. They kissed and then went to their separate cars.

*          *          *

To be continued…

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Was the teaching assistant

Angharad's picture

warning off the competition. Besides, if the man is already in a relationship, then Scotti shouldn't interfere anyway, and the man should have more integrity, but hey it's Melanie Brown, so anything can happen.

Angharad

What Scotti knows

Melanie Brown's picture

Like a lot of girls her age, Scotti just got a sudden crush on an older, attractive teacher like most of us do. She wouldn't have any idea if he's in a relationship or not. And being a bit dense, the teacher doesn't yet realize Scotti is crushing on him. The assistant might not view Scotti as competition because she's, as the assistant sees her, a little girl. But this happens all too often and the assistant is more than a little annoyed by it.

Melanie

Front row seats...

SammyC's picture

I was an undergraduate at Columbia just before it went co-ed in the '80s but students could take a certain number of credits at either Columbia or Barnard (BTW, Barnard was one of the first women's colleges to accept applications from transwomen). I remember the resident hunk professor at the time was on the History faculty and the entire front row of seats would be filled with Barnard students. Strangely enough, they'd always be attired in dresses or skirts. There was a lot of crossing of legs during the lectures. Unfortunately for the girls, the dreamy professor was happily married to a blonde bombshell who taught art history at Columbia as well.

Sammy

That damn Zicke!

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

I'm just catching up on this story... appreciating the short chapters, first of all! It's nice to have quick shots to read! And secondly, the (inner) conflict with Scotti's father is compelling, as is the predatory packs of boys.

It's a good story, looking forward to the rest.

- iolanthe