Gaby Book 25 ~ Only Five Minutes ~ Chapter *22*

Printer-friendly version
Book 25 full cover.jpg
Gaby

Book 25
Only Five Minutes

by Maddy Bell
Copyright© 2019 Madeline Bell

After all the excitement of the last few weeks culminating in the trip to Austria, surely Gaby can get back to some sort of 'normal'?

Well it wouldn't be Gaby if it was that simple would it?

 


Soße

*Chapter 22*
Boris and Jules

 
Everyone's heard of Heidelberg but how many have actually been there? Not me but Mum and Dad came down when I was in Kanada and so at least had some idea of where we were going. Of course, the complication was the Hymer, roads you can take a car through, a vehicle the size of a small bus won't or you can't use, I’m sure we went through the same junction three times before Dad put the handbrake on.

​ For some reason I’d got this thing in my head that Jules and Boris' flat was in some ancient apartment block, all dark corridors and steep staircases. The reality was quite different, they weren't even in the old town but on a newish campus area a bit further out.

​ “Where's the flat?" I asked, stepping down into the almost empty car park.
​ “Not far kiddo," Dad advised whilst Mum called my sister to say we'd arrived.
​ “Boris'll meet us at the gate," Mum announced a moment later.
​ “Come on then girls," Dad encouraged, “Bags and bodies."

​ I rolled my eyes, his humour can really be, we'll, not very funny.
​  
​ Our little party set off carrying a variety of supplies, gifts and me trailing a suitcase with the stuff Jules asked for earlier. Whilst I’m looking forward to seeing my sister, I’m not so much looking forward to what I’m expecting will be some terse parent / child conversation. Maybe my sister’s decision to break the news at 'arm’s length' wasn't quite as flippant as it appeared.

​ We followed a path through a bit of a garden and found Boris coming towards us.

​ “Hi guys!"
​ “Boris," Dad allowed shaking the offered hand.
​ “Come on in, Jules has the coffee on."

​ I'm not sure if Boris was just ignoring the vibes from my parent or ignorant of them. Whichever, he took the case from me before leading the way to a gate which he opened using one of those key pad things. The housing block was now in view, a low, well maybe five storey, affair which looked more like an office block than student accommodation.

​ I hadn't really noticed how cold it was until we got inside, it felt like a sauna!

​ “It's warm in here," Mand observed.
​ “I'm surprised they have it on when the campus is on shutdown," Mum added.
​ 'Geo-thermals, free heat," Boris advised as we waited for a lift.
​ “What's that?" I asked.
​ “Not my thing Gab, your sister knows more about it than me."
​ “They pump water down into the ground where it heats up which can then be used for power and heating," Mum explained - well I suppose it is her 'specialist' area, geo stuff.

​ Ding! The lift doors opened and revealed a wide carpeted corridor much like a chain hotel, the only difference being the post box beside each door. Boris set off, the rest of us trailing behind, stopping at the second door which he pushed open.

​ “Welcome to the Bat cave," he grinned, motioning for us to precede him inside.
​  
​ Our arrival had been noted by my sister who greeted us in the small hallway area.

​ “Hi everyone, come on through, coffee's nearly ready."
​ “Er, can I use the loo?" I asked as everyone shuffled forward.
​ “On the left," Jules told me.
​ “Cheers."

​ The impression of a hotel increased beyond the door, yes there were toiletries on the side but apart from the mismatched towels and bath mat you'd think you were in an Ibis! Everything all moulded in, the shower just separated by the curtain from the rest of the room. Yup, designed for quick and easy cleaning.

​ The rest of the flat just added to that impression, one small bedroom, kitchen - diner slotted along one side of the main room, the whole lot would probably fit in our lounge at home. I'm sure Mum picked up on the hurriedly 'tidied' piles of books and other assorted stuff stacked around the desk, clearly my advanced warning had paid dividends. I'm guessing a trip to the recycling would reveal some recently added takeaway packaging and beer bottles if my visit to the place in Bonn is anything to go by!

​ Being away, we didn't do Christmas decorations at home, Jules and Boris did at least have one of those wooden trees on the end of the breakfast bar and a few cards were Blu-tacked on the wall.
​  

​ With seating at a premium, I found myself sat at the breakfast bar as my sister sorted out the coffee.

​ “I've brought cake," Mum announced.

​ Huh, the cheek, I fetched that!

​ “Do you want that now or after dinner?" Jules winked at me.
​ “Dinner?" Mum queried.
​ “You are eating with us?" Boris put in.
​ “That would be great," Dad suggested, cutting off Mater.
​ “Nothing fancy," Jules told us, “Thought we'd have Boris' favourite, Toad in the Hole."

​ Ha, she's out-foxed you this time Mum.

​ “I guess the cake will wait," she allowed.
​  
​ Of course, my sister is no dummy - and a pretty good cook too when she wants to be. The choice of Toad was inspired, everything could be pre-prepared but if things went south, well minimal inconvenience. I'm sure Mum cottoned on quite quickly but she could hardly mark my sister down on what looks like a prudent choice.

​ The conversation, while we drank coffee and waited for dinner, danced around the Elephant in the room, neither party keen to be the first to bring the subject up. Indeed, we got through dinner before the subject was broached. (it was a good Toad even if Bratwurst isn't as good as a decent Lincolnshire pork sausage.)

​ “So where are you guys spending the night?” Jules enquired once the serious business of eating was out of the way.
​ “There's a camper stop just this side of Stuttgart, should only take a couple of hours from here,” Dad advised.
​ “Will it be open this time of year?” Boris enquired.
​ “In theory,” Dad replied, “Plan B is one of the Rastplatz on the autobahn.”

​ Sounds fun.

​ “Sooner you guys than me,” Boris opined.
​ “You could stay on the campus parking,” my sister suggested.
​ “Is that allowed?” Mum asked.
​ “Boris?” Jules queried.
​ He shrugged, “Pretty sure it'd be okay for one night, it’s not like there's classes.”
​ “We could have breakfast together before you go on,” my sister suggested.
​ “Dave?” Mum asked.
​ “The girls could use our shower,” Jules loaded the option.
​ “Dad?” I hinted.
​ “Well it would be better than driving in the dark,” Dad admitted, “You sure it'll be okay Boris?”
​ “Pretty sure Herr Bond, there're often camper vans parked where you are stopped.”
​ “You have seen the size of the Hymer?” Dad asked.
​ “Of course,” Boris replied, “You can use my parking disc.”
​ “What about your car?” Mum asked.
​ “Security know it, they won't check for the disc.”
​ “Okay, I'm convinced,” Dad allowed.
​ “Yes!”
​ “Great,” my sister added, “Boris?”
​ “Oh right, er, you want to come for a drink Herr Bond – and the girls, the student bar is open?”

​ Sneaky sis, sneaky.
 
​ Dad was surprisingly receptive to the idea now that our overnight arrangements were sorted, I think he no more wanted to be present for the Mum – Jules conversation than my sister! Personally, I'm a bit torn, enquiring minds and all that on one hand but a desire to check out this student bar place too – well I guess I'll get the low down on the 'discussion' from Jules later, we are sisters and we do share.

 
© Maddy Bell 04.07.2019

up
142 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Best defense is a good offense

Jamie Lee's picture

Jules took the lead and tried to soften things by dinner and how their apartment looked. However, while it may have been good to try and soften what she felt was coming from Jenny, Jenny still has a full head of steam she's going to unload on Jules.

Once thing Jenny should consider before unloading on Jules is the possibility of alienating Jules because of what she is about to say.

Others have feelings too.