Antibodies 26

Printer-friendly version

Antibodies 26

Characters.
Verna Spiro Type one Virus
Nana Bev, Interplanetary prospector.
Jamie, Bev’s younger prospecting Partner.
Dennis Potter Freight manager and old friend of Beverly’s.
Jack Godfrey Yard foreman and walking boss. Charlotte and Lucy - Jamie’s younger dancing & clubbing friends. Rose and Violet. Cis-girl friends of Jamie.
Jennifer Jamie’s girlfriend. (Sleeping partner.)
Dr Williams Virologist
Shirley Jamie’s niece.
Dafydd Bev’s older brother.
Digger Beverly’s first ship.
Miner Beverly’s second, larger and newbuild ship.

Chapter 26

I waited at the Air Marshall’s office while the UN negotiator busied herself communicating on her fancy satellite phone to some high-level secretary in Geneva or New York; I knew not which, nor cared. Eventually I sighed impatiently as she turned to me and offered a deal.
The WHO (World Health organisation) is prepared to release these vaccines provided the general is released by the terrorists and returned unharmed to the Democratic Republics’ governmental offices.

I shook my head in wonderment as I pointed out.

“He’s already released me as a sign of good will, what more can the man do? And I wouldn’t go around bandying the word terrorist so loosely. So far, he’s operated through negotiations to get vaccines for his people.”
“The mining companies claim he’s a terrorist who’s been attacking their camps.”

“Huh! I’d call some of the mining companies and loggers to be more like terrorists. The way the drive their machinery and toss their explosives around is positively lethal.

He’s still attacked civilian and industrial operations in the North-eastern territory of the republic. He’s killed dozens of operators.

“Yeah, and I’ll bet a lot of those so called ‘operators are operating illegally or at least by offering huge bribes to government officials. Terrorism is as terrorism does, and he did what he felt he had to do. Don’t forget. I’ve seen the mining destruction first hand!

And another thing, - “I pressed.

“What?” She asked.

“I’ve seen lots of underaged kids working in those illegal mines, yet I didn’t see any kids in his camp, leastways not kids carrying guns or assault rifles.”

“What are you implying?”

“It strikes me that his so-called rebel band are essentially volunteers. There are no enforced conscripts. Not like those ‘Lord’s Day Believers’ who rampaged through northern Kenya and Uganda. They forced young kids to take up arms and murder innocent villagers. This guy hasn’t. He only seems to want to see fair play.”

“Well, we’ll determine that when we deliver the vaccines.”

“We’d better hurry then. I advised. The virus isn’t waiting.”

“What d’you mean we? Who said anything about you returning to the jungle. You’re too damned valuable.” The UN lady declared.

“I gave the man my word, and I’ll not be made a liar for political ends.”

“So, what good can you do? They’ll have the vaccine and you’ll be surplus. They might even decide to detain you.”

“Me-thinks not.” I countered. There’s a story to tell here about the political corruption that’s depriving these people of their mineral rights and property. Somebody needs to tell it.”

The UN representative scowled irritably but I stubbornly pressed my argument and she eventually felt forced to agree. She turned reluctantly to several of her team and instructed them to accompany us; then we clambered into the helicopter and clattered skywards.
Once again, I gazed down, and after crossing the border into the central republic, I commenced pointing out illegal mines to the UN members who had reluctantly joined us.

“As you can readily see, there are thousands of primitive mines being dug by prospectors and several larger commercial operations. The whole of this north-eastern section of the province is being raped and nothing is being done to stop it. The rebels have legitimate grievances, and nothing is being done to stop it. They are the legitimate tribal owners of the jungles and the land, and they are being robbed.

“The government owns the land,” she opined.

I gave her an ‘old’ look then twisted my lips into a wry, cynical smirk before replying.

“These tribesmen are the people, and the people are the government. Try looking at your United Nations Charter occasionally.”
She fell silent and that silence reigned until we landed.

Before the rotors had stopped, the ‘rebels’ had encircled our craft and the leader was tapping furiously on the hull. The pilot turned to me while ignoring the UN rep and remarked.

“You’d better show your face, he knows you.”

“And trusts me,” I added as I slid back the pilot window and looked down.

The rebel leader squinted up from amidst the settling dust cloud and shouted above the hubbub.

“Have you got the vaccine?”

“Yes. Call your men to order and bring some organisation around here. The pilot will only open the ramp once he’s sure of the safety of his chopper.”

I watched as he stepped back into the thinning dust cloud and quickly brought the crowd to order. I mused that it wasn’t as disorderly a mob as first appeared. The tribesmen were just desperate for they knew that they only had a matter of days to treat their various communities and villages. A few more seconds caused the dust to disperse, and hundreds of villagers started to emerge from the surrounding forests. I shouted to their leader that I was coming out via the cabin door and the ramp would only be lowered once I was happy with our security.

Before he could argue I stepped away from the pilot’s cabin window and opened the door to clamber down the extendable ladder.

“Where’s the doctor?” I demanded.

He turned and indicated Doctor Williams walking from the first-aid tent with the original ‘Medicines San Frontiers doctor and her attendant nurses. I nodded my satisfaction and waved my hand to her as the UN Rep followed me down the ladder. When she stopped beside me, I explained.

“This is Doctor Williams the virologist, she’ll be your liaison and ‘go-to’ contact for all medical issues. The villagers trust her.”

“Where are you going?”

“To speak with the leader and the general they’re holding hostage.”

“D’you think they’ll release him?” She asked.

“That was the deal. If he releases the general, he demonstrates good faith. Just see to it that your people do likewise,” I replied as I motioned to the leader to take me to his hut.

We found the general none the worse for his having been held hostage and I signalled to the chopper captain that it was okay to lower his rear ramp.

Once some sort of regular organisation had been established it was quick work to set up an extra demountable structure and within the hour the ‘rebels’ were queuing up for their jabs. The rebels proved true to their word and the general was released to fly back with the U.N. rep to Nairobi.

“Aren’t you coming back with us?” She asked.

“I’ll get the next flight tomorrow. I want to get a comprehensive list of what’s wanted around here.”

“I’ve pretty much got that. She offered.”
I nodded but remained where I was as she boarded the chopper. I wanted to see for myself more of the problems the villagers were facing concerning the exploitation of their lands. I watched the chopper ascend then went to talk again with the so-called rebel leader.
“Have you got a satellite phone/” I asked him.

“Yes, but I don’t use it much, it attracts unwanted attention.”

“The general?” I asked knowingly.

He frowned and nodded, and I gathered his meaning.

“I want to contact my companion and my mobile has no signal out here.”

“What for?” He asked suspiciously as he handed it to me.

“I want to organise a contact system to help your villagers organise logistics.” I explained as I hefted the weighty sat-phone in my hand.

“To supply weapons?” He frowned though I read the hope in his eyes.

“Not necessarily. I was thinking more of essentials like food and stuff. This thing weighs more than a bloody brick.”

“It’s a bit antiquated but it’s all we’ve got. Will you bring us weapons as well.” He pressed.

I handed the phone back and explained.

“I’m waiting to see what the general does in the next couple of days. If he thinks he’s coming back loaded for bear, I’ll put a stop to his schemes.”

The leader shrugged philosophically and nodded towards the flimsy structure that served for their council house.

“We’ll have to put you up in here.”

“I won’t be sleeping much in one place. I want to try and get some idea of what minerals are being extracted to prepare some sort of case. I’ve recognised the copper and lithium ores but there were some pits on that hill we flew over that I’d like to check out.”

He turned to me and frowned.

“It’ll be difficult to check that range of hills. The mining company has powerful connections.”

“Oh; I’m sure he has,” I agreed. “But let’s not be too fearful, I’ve got connections too.”

“But I’ve seen armed helicopter gunships occasionally land over there when their big bosses some by to inspect.”

“Really?” I looked innocently askance. “We’ll we’d better make some suitable precautions then, hadn’t we?”

“What sort of precautions?” He asked suspiciously.

“Oh,” I smiled nonchalantly. “Don’t be worrying too much about me, I get along pretty well on my own.”

“Well, you be bloody careful; the mining company helicopters have shot at villagers who’ve come to close.”
“Have they really? Just a mo’ while I call up my mate on your sat-phone.”

He surrendered the phone somewhat reluctantly and I smiled slightly as I felt it’s weight again. If battery weight were any indication, this bloody phone would reach Pluto. Instead, however I dialled up Jamie. She answered almost immediately, which surprised me slightly.

“Hi Nana! How’s darkest Africa?”

“Very dark,” I intoned ominously.

“Oh!” She paused before asking.

“D’you want me?”

“You could be useful. Where are you now?”

“Lunar inbound; ‘bout two hours out.”

The rebel leader picked up my conversation and leaned in curiously.”

“If your friend is coming from the north, he’d better be careful, there’s a Russian mercenary army in Sudan and they’re not fussy about who they shoot.”

I smiled somewhat patronisingly and enlightened the rebel leader.

“She’s inbound from the moon. She’ll be approaching from our zenith. A terrestrial ‘bulls-eye’”

The rebel leader stared with surprise.

“The moon?!”

“Yes.”

“Is he in a spaceship?”

“Jamie’s a ‘she’, and yes, to your earlier question. Of course, she’s in a spaceship if she’s coming from the moon.”

“Are you with the navy or something?” He asked nervously.

“No. I’m a family member of the Taff mining corporation but I’m not one of the well-publicised sons or grandsons. I don’t work directly for the mining corporation, and I not share-holder or director. I keep a very low profile.”

“So how come you have a spaceship at your beck and call?”

“Grandfather rights. My grandmother recognised what I was at an early age and realised I was destined to be pilloried by her family. As soon as I hit eighteen, she gave me a small spaceship and suggested I make myself scarce by prospecting in the solar system. This was before the regulatory space licensing regime was set up. Consequently, I kept my grandfather rights.”

“And what was it your grandmother saw in you?”

“Nothing important.” I lied. “Suffice to say I’m my own boss and answerable to no-one.”

“So, this spaceship is coming here to pick you up.”

“Yes.”

“You’d better avoid the mining camps over there then. They shoot on sight.”

“Thanks for the heads up.” I nodded as I spoke again into the ‘brick.’

“Jamie; stop by Dennis’s yard first and get some side arms. Also make sure our main armament is primed and ready.”

“Watch’a boss, we expecting trouble?”

“Possibly, - no! Make that probably.”

“Are you going to arrest or attack the illegal mines?” The rebel leader asked.

“No. We can survey the whole country with the ship’s equipment. I’m just going to document the scale of theft and criminality.”

I saw the glimmer of hope brighten in his eyes and I took the coffee that he proffered to me.

“Can you get our case heard?”
“I Don’t know but if I cause a feathers to be ruffled, it will cause questions to be asked or complaints to be raised. Any publicity is better than no publicity at all. The trouble is, the United Nations is rotten to the core.”

As we drank the coffee, I explained several stratagems I had in mind, and he prepared what little he could to meet Jamie’s arrival. It was midday when Jamie descended out of the sun and the rebel troops were almost blinded as they tried to study Jamie’s approach. The rebel leader turned to me as Jamie touched down as light as a feather.

“I’m impressed, no dust, no clatter. I’m willing to bet that that those mining gangsters have not even noticed.”

“They will have it they’ve got lookouts watching. It won’t matter anyway. I’m leaving right now.”

I waved to Doctor Williams and asked her if she was coming. She replied that she had about two more hours vaccinating to do then she would be ready. I turned to Jamie and suggested she hovered about three meters off the ground to dissuade any unwelcomed boarders. The rebel leader looked disappointed and asked if he could look inside the spaceship.

“Only if you disarm.” I replied then added. “I’ll arrange for Jamie to lower the hoist then I’ll board first.”
“You do realise I could blow you to pieces with my artillery gun, don’t you?”

“I doubt it. She’s a working mining craft built from very strong material I don’t see anything resembling a 150mm howitzer around here. She’s stronger than a tank and built to bounce against asteroids and comets. If she crashed into a rock, it would take a very hefty blow to rupture her armoured hull.”

His eyes widened with curiosity.
“So why all the protection?”

“We get into some pretty dangerous situations and there’s also solar radiation to consider. My ship is called ‘Miner’ and she’s built to go where others aren’t. Her armoured outer shell is 250 mm of titanium, and her inner skins include copper and lead to resist radiation.”

“That’s a lot of weight. How does she fly?”

“That’s the secret of the antigravity engine. My family still holds the secret.”

“While the rest if the world uses rockets and jets.”

“Bluntly, yes. My ancestors were pretty badly treated back in the day and our family secret keeps the gender bullies at bay. You know, the male discrimination thing.”

“Yes. I’ve read my history. So, you’re related to Charlie Sage.”

I nodded casually and left him to ponder as I showed him the Miner’s innards. He stared appraisingly at Jamie then turned his gaze away hastily as Jamie gave him a glare and fingered her machine pistol. With that, Doctor Williams emerged from the makeshift first-aid post, and we prepared to leave. As the rebel leader departed, I reassured him that I would make an accurate record of the destruction from what was obviously uncontrolled mining.

To this end, as soon as we were airborne, I deliberately loitered low over the mining camp and made a detailed recording of the environmental destruction whilst describing the obvious signs of illegal operations that were definitely outside the remit of any legitimate license.
It wasn’t long before we heard bullets pinging off our armoured hull then a mining company survey helicopter ascended and threatened us with a missile. We had nothing to fear for their missile was designed to bring down an aircraft. Our ship ‘Miner’ was effectively a tank. We remained at ten meters altitude over the camp and the helicopter eventually carried through his threat and fired the missile.
An anti-aircraft missile will not harm a ‘tank’ with 250mm of armour plate and to demonstrate our invulnerability, Jamie veered sideways towards the chopper and just grazed the spinning rotor causing the chopper to lose lift and wobble uncontrollably to the ground. It landed heavily but upright and did not catch fire.

Doctor Williams gave a screech of terror, but I just frowned at Jamie and admonished her for I knew there was little danger.

“Naughty, naughty! Jamie. Stop showing off.”

“I just thought I’d give them a little warning Nana. We could make electronic copies of our observations and drop one down to them while also giving one to the tribesmen.”

“Good idea Babes,” I agreed.

This done, we delivered the video recordings to the ‘rebel leader’ and to the downed helicopter then returned to our base at Dennis Potter’s yard.
Only two days later our report went viral, and the UN felt compelled to respond. Jamie and I considered our job well done.

The end.

up
109 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

They will still try to spin it

Where none of this is their fault. The nature of criminal organizations dictates this.