Gaby Book 26 ~ On The Edge ~ Chapter *5*

Printer-friendly version
book 26 print cover_1.jpg
Gaby

Book 26
On The Edge

by Maddy Bell
Copyright© 2021 Madeline Bell

Seventeen - it's a birthday overshadowed by its predecessor and successor and Gaby's looks set to follow that pattern. There are however big decisions to be made, should she grab life by the horns and experience everything it has to offer or take the more conservative, safer route through life. This volume, the 26th in the Gaby series has all the elements of classic Gaby, bike riding, teenage angst, developing relationships, grist to the mill for our heroine as life in the Ahrtal ticks on.

 

*Chapter 5*
Marquee de Gab

 
It was warmer inside the marquee, several of those patio heater things were blasting away and in addition the draperies along the 'walls' and slung from the ceiling added an extra layer of insulation from the February air. Of course, as guest of honour everyone wanted to exchange greetings, steal kisses and bestow platitudes so i'd been in the tent for about half an hour before the grey matter got into gear.

I had done the meet and greet so spotting Dad talking to Mum, I excused myself from Con's parents and slipped over to them.

"Hey birthday girl, you okay?” Mum queried.
"Yeah fine, I don't know who's responsible, I didn't think anyone was interested, when Dad said we were eating at the Anker I thought that was it, we never were going to Kripp were we?”
"Nope,” Dad grinned, "We've been planning this for weeks.”
"Not that I'm complaining but why the marquee, I'm sure we'd all fit in the Stube.”
"That was the original plan,” he allowed, "But things got a little more, er ambitious so Helmut talked to his Lion's friends and so here we are, Schloss Gabrielle.”
"I'm just amazed everyone kept it a secret.”
"You and me too,” he observed.
"So why do we need the extra space?”
"For the entertainment of course,” Max advised coming to join us, "Herr, Frau Bond, if I may?”
"All yours Max,” Dad told my boyfriend.
"Hey, don't I get a say?”
"Nope,” Max stated placing my arm in his, "Come, we're on a tight schedule.”
"Whatever,” I sighed with a theatrical eye roll.

I was led through the assembled masses, really, there must be like at least a hundred people in the tent, I digress, Max led me to the far end where there was a small stage. So okay, a short designer frock isn't intended for climbing so I found myself hoisted by Max and Jules' Boris onto said stage and to a 'throne' about which Bernie and Con were waiting.

"If her majesty would care to be seated,” Con hammed.
"Bit over the top,” I opined under my breath.
"Just sit Bond.”
"Okay.”

No sooner was I perched on the seat than I spotted Drea toddling across the platform . Of course, by now everyone's attention was on the stage and the toddlers appearance, in a pretty party frock and carrying a tray with what appeared to be a tiara on it, had the result you might expect. Yep, more Aw's, isn't she cute's and similar observations than pebbles on a beach so whilst this afternoon is for me, Drea Preiser has stolen the show.

"There's a good girl,” Bern, the proud parent beamed.
"Fo tante Gaby,” the toddler announced.
"For me?” I asked leaning forward.

Of course, like most two year olds in this scenario, she then got a dose of shy although she did manage a nod. Bern rescued the tiara which was plonked on my head, but not before I scooped her daughter into my lap.

"Pwincess,” I was informed around a thumb, the other hand pointing to my new adornment.

Geez, even my 'niece' is at it.
 

The 'crowning' over, Max got everyones attention with the aid of a screechy PA system.

"Hello everyone, thank you all for coming and for keeping today a secret from the Ahrtal's very own Prinzessin, Gaby Bond.”

He paused for the polite applause before continuing.

"So, Gabrielle Andrea Bond, Gaby to her friends, has touched all of our lives, she has as the English say, a finger in many pies. Yes, not just a pretty face but a great frite Cheferin so should her Radrennerin career falter she can always get work at MacDonalds™!”

Okay it was a reasonable attempt that did elicit a few chuckles but Max, stick to engineering!

"When we started planning this it was just going to be a few friends, some food, maybe some wine but at each turn people wanted to be involved in celebrating our Prinzessin's seventeenth birthday. So instead of Marty's mobile disco, sorry Mart, maybe later eh, instead of that we have a sort of cabaret in honour of 'our Gabs'.

We won't take up too much of your time ladies und gentlemen, the food is, I'm told, on its way. So Gaby Bond, Prinzessin of the Ahrtal, sit back and enjoy our little 'Gabfest'.”

There was more applause, I had to clap with Drea of course, she does like clapping for some reason.

Max descended from the stage to be replaced by Manda, Josh, Darren and Tali, all looking a bit nervous as well as silly with crash helmets on with their 'party' clothes. The audience stilled, there was an air of expectation, then the first chords of Queens Bicycle Race came over the PA. I, for one, was not expecting the actually quite funny karaoke interpretation of Freddy's lyrics by my team mates.

I'm pretty sure their antics would have got to at least round two of 'Germany has Talent', certainly, this afternoons audience were appreciative of their efforts and I joined in, with Drea of course, in the enthusiastic applause when they finished. Goodness knows when they practised, its not like they live near each other is it? Have to ask Mand later.
 

That sort of set the tone for what followed, we were 'treated' if thats the right word, to a short skit by my girl friends which was embarrasing to say the least as they 'dramatised' some of my 'finest' moments of the last year, Nena wearing a pink wig taking the part of yours truly. It was of course tongue in cheek, well I hope it was, we were treated to the Weinachtsmarkt, my cycle racing success and my musical career amongst other hi-lights. When they closed with a distinctly tuneless rendition of 99 'Balloons everyone was in stitches.

For some inescapable reason, Max recited 'Ode to a Summers Day' before being replaced by the All Star Cheer girls – well most of them. I recognised the new routine we've been working on but about halfway through they went from the high octane tumble to what was clearly a stick poke at the Garde. After a comical shuffling wheel and even more comical line out they ended things with a chant and a Folies style kick splits which had the tent cheering quite loudly.

I was still clapping with my niece when the music started, real instruments rather than taped. Yep, somehow i'd missed seeing Stefan and the guys arrive on the stage, I hope they don't play anything too, er, dodgy!

I needn't've worried, they ran through a short instrumental set, ELO's Mr Blue Sky, Ingwendie from Nena, Rockin' All Over The World, a Quo favourite and lastly, Queens Lazing on a Sunday. Once again there was cheering from the floor before Stefan stepped up to the microphone.

"Hello everyone, BlauHase don't usually play birthday parties but we thought we'd make an exception for our lead singer, Erdbeere. I think maybe, well I hope, there's a large beer resting on this, if we sing Frohes Geburtstag we might get her to join us in a couple of numbers, Erd?”

What could I say?

"Er okay, nothing too interesting,” I hinted looking down at Drea who was now picking at the flowers on her dress.
"Done.”

Marty rescued me from Drea and I tottered across the stage on my heels to where Stefan was waiting. It was pretty weird to have the BlauHase frontman lead the singing of Happy Birthday, the audience of friends, Dukes, family and protogés joining in with some gusto.

"Hip, hip.”
"Hooray!”
"Hip, hip.”
"Hooray!”
"Hip, hip.”
"Hooray!”

From somewhere another mic appeared in my hand, I think it was Max, I tapped it to get everyones attention.

"Hi everyone, thank you all for coming, I hope it hasn't been too excrutiating, I promise revenge on the organisers! I must admit, the shroud of secrecy and misdirection was really effective, I was convinced, right until Dad pulled up outside, that my birthday celebration this year would be a pub lunch, so well done everyone. And just thank you, I know some of you have made long journeys to be here, I feel honoured that you think I'm worthwhile making the effort for.

Some of you already know, but in case you don't, BlauHase are going on tour in a few weeks and yes I'm going along too, not sure why, someone mentioned singing?” I gave a shrug and looked over to the band who all shrugged in reply.

"Well I guess we can give it a throw, but I'll warn you, I'm hungry now and I think I can smell pommes.”

Hey, even I can try a joke or two.

I looked over to Stefan, "Amerika?”

He nodded in reply and I prepared myself for a rendition of the popular Nena tune.

Our impromptu set ran to four songs, Amerika, Animal only had his snare so Bo Rap was a bit tinny but we smashed Caroline and ended on Luftballons, I didn't think this audience was ready for raw BlauHase!
 
"Thank you for being so patient and again I'm honoured that you all came. I'd like to finish with something special for my Gran who flew here from England just for the party, I know this is one of her favourites, its not hard rock, or even soft rock, please, if you know the words, join in. Gran, this is for you.”

I stood to gather myself, the rest of BlauHase didn't know what I was doing so I was doing this unaccompanied.

"Edelweiss, edelweiss
Every morning you greet me

Small and white
Clean and bright
You look happy to meet me

Blossom of snow
May you bloom and grow
Bloom and grow forever.”

By the second verse there were a few mumbling along in German and the band were providing a bit of accompaniment too.

Edelweiss, edelweiss
Bless my home-land forever

Small and white
Clean and bright
You look happy to meet me

Blossom of snow
May you bloom and grow
Bloom and grow forever

Edelweiss, edelweiss
Bless my home-land forever.”

Well I couldn't help myself, I know it might seem a bit fuddy duddy to like the film, so shoot me, well not literally of course. Anyhow I segued straight into my favourite which seemed appropriate given the occasion.

"I am sixteen going on seventeen
I know that I´m naive
Fellows I meet may tell me I´m sweet
And willingly I believe

I am sixteen going on seventeen
Innocent as a rose
Bachelor dandies, drinkers of brandies
What do I know of those

Totally unprepared am I
To face a world of men
Timid and shy and scared am I
Of things beyond my ken

I need someone older and wiser
Telling me what to do
You are seventeen going on eighteen
I´ll depend on you”

So okay its only the second half but its really a duet.
 
By the time i'd finished Dad had joined me on the platform and simply pulled me into a hug.

"That was lovely kiddo,” he whispered.
"Thanks Dad, sorry I've been a brat this week.”
"You're forgiven,” he then addressed those gathered, "Just to add to what my daughter said, thank you all for coming and the food is waiting, enjoy!”
 

"That was lovely and unexpected Gaby, thank you,” Gran told me, meeting me as Dad lowered me from the stage.
"Yeah, well,” I managed before being dragged into another hug.
"Come on, I'm hungry even if you aren't, lets see what we can find eh?”
 

I'd already smelt the Pommes of course but the catering did run to a bit more than fried potato. It was a buffet of course but a Smörgasbord of tastes, lasagne, salad stuff, roast potatoes, the French Fries of course, mini schnitzels, a nice cream of cauliflower soup – well a good variety and there seemed to be plenty too. Tempting as it was to load my plate it did occur to me that a) it wasn't very ladylike, b) i'd split my frock and c) there must be cake somewhere. C is very important at a birthday party so I did restrict myself to just two small roasties and only one ladle of soup,

"Caught ya!”

I jumped and nearly dropped my plate.

"Don't do that,” I complained.
"Couldn't resist,” Mand stated.
"Clearly, so how much of all this is you?”
"A bit, it was a group project.”
"So the whole, 'lets dress up for lunch thing', you knew all along?”
"Guilty, look I'm sorry, I was under orders to get you poshed up.”

I used the last bit of roast tater to mop up the bit of lasagne sauce that was left.

"So, where's the cake then?”
"Cake! Sugar, I knew there was something else.”
"You are kidding?”
"Course I'm kidding, I came to fetch you for the cutting, come on.”
"Lead on er de Vreen!”
 

Of course, I'm seventeen now so no sickly sponge cake with pink icing and Haribo's, ut uh, nope the dessert course was an impressive version of a Lubbecker Bombe. How to describe it? Well think of half a beach ball covered in chocolate, in this case the white variety, underneath is a layer of marzipan, then cream, another of vanilla and all sat on a bed of sponge cake – you actually make it upside down. Obviously one wasn't going to go far so there was a table groaning under a load of mini bombes for the other guests.

I did the ceremonial cutting, claiming a good portion of the sickly confection – I'm allowed, its my birthday! I was pretty glad to finally sit again, what with all the handshaking earlier and then the impromptu mini concert, my feet were not happy with the heels.
 

"So Sis, seventeen huh,” Jules stated plonking herself next to me on the edge of the stage.
"Yup, guess its all downhill from here.”
"Cynic.”

I spooned another dollop of cake into my mouth, ooh, yum-meee.

"So, how are you?”
"Okay I guess,” she allowed.
"Thought you'd be showing by now.”
"Not yet, well not when I'm dressed at least, so you're doing the BlauHase tour? Didn't think you were going to?”
"Nor did I, it was Dad who changed my mind.”
"Really? Thought he'd be dead set against it.”
"Me too, in truth I don't think he's a hundred percent happy but Nen's coming with as chaperone so it should be a laugh.”
"That's probably what he's afraid of.”
"We can look after ourselves.”
"What about, you know, college, racing and Max?”
"Its Easter break and Dad's lined up a race on the bands rest day so no escape eh, as for Max, well we've not exactly talked about it yet.”
"All worked out then Sis.”
"Dunno about that, I know I'm no Madonna but I can carry a tune and I might never get the opportunity again, its not a career path i've exactly been chasing is it? Nope, I think Dad's right, its an opportunity to experience a different world to the school / college / racing that i've been wrapped up in for like five years.”

"You know i've sometimes hated you for that, for the connection you have with Dad and being Mum's little protogé on two wheels, the perfect daughter, unlike me.”
"Is that really how you see me?”
She paused to consider her reply, "Sometimes yes, when Mum gets into full on Gaby fan club mode..”
"But,” I interrupted.
"No let me finish,” she cut back in, "I get that she's proud of you, who wouldn't be, heck, I'm proud of you and I know that you've worked hard to achieve everything but i've worked hard too but all we ever seem to do is argue, dyeing my hair, moving in with Boris, getting pregnant, okay so that last one wasn't exactly planned but its like I'm the anti Gaby, Gaby wouldn't do this, Gaby wouldn't do that.“
"I'm far from perfect,” I scoffed, "I've done stuff.”
"Which makes it worse, you dye your hair and its 'doesn't she look cute', I do it and its 'what did you do that for?'”
"But..”
"No Gab, i'm reconciled that I'll always be the rebel, the 'other' daughter, I used to resent your fame but now, well its kinda cool not to be famous too, and you are great bragging at the Student Uni.”

"Done? what I was gonna say Jules, is that you've outdone me, come July you'll be all she'll be talking about, you're giving her not one but two grandchildren. So okay, maybe the timing isn't the best but you've moved from rebel daughter to expectant parent, I think I'll always be the overachieving younger sibling.”

Before I knew it, I was dragged into a firm hug, "Gaby Bond, don't ever change.”
 
Maddy Bell © 17.02.2021

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yea great party

Love the love shown by the sisters

Well that put a smile on my face reading it

Kind of felt like I was there eavesdropping on everything. Very very nice chapter of Gaby. I even thought Jules was starting to show some maturity.