Vanishing Point Edit

Printer-friendly version

This is the revised version of 'Vanishing Point' written to expand on some of the detail. Writing to the competition word limit imposed some discipline on me, but it meant much less detail for the ending. This is simply a wider look at the story.

VANISHING POINT
The flight was not my greatest delight.

Silly words, but I was decanted from the 777 into Perth airport feeling like absolute shit. Sod all the advice about jet lag, I NEEDED sleep. The baggage trolley was awful, only the back wheels steering.

“What is the purpose of your visit, Mister Ellison?”

The immigration, customs, whatever wonk had, oddly, a strong South African accent.

“Um. Sorry; bit shell-shocked. Purpose? Cycle tour. Going to go round the coast”

“You’ve got a tent?”

“Yeah. Scrubbed it with a toothbrush. Same with the bike tyres”

“Do you have any food products?”

“A packet of mints?”

All I got was a raised eyebrow, without even a hint of a smile.

A taxi managed to fit my bike box into its rear, and we set off for the cheap hotel I had booked. Check-in was straightforward, and they had me on the ground floor. The box slid along the carpet, the door didn’t slam shut on my fingers, and there was a double bed right in front of me.

I did indeed feel like shit, even more so when I woke at two in the morning, local time. That advice about jet lag turned out to have been absolutely correct, but simply too difficult to follow. My head had been saying “Yes, absolutely!” while my body simply mumbled and crawled under the top sheet. The hotel was dead around me, apart from the faint sound of another guest’s snores further down the hall. Sod it. I pulled on a T shirt and shorts and started to assemble my Dawes. Get a few hours of the night past, maybe do a quick urban spin before breakfast, and then use the standard body clock cosh of a few beers to prepare for the second night.

The streets were quiet, the terrain alternating between areas of level road and sharp ridges, a little like a ploughed field’s furrows. As the sun rose, some odd bird and its friends were competing to see which could make the most peculiar wail. Breakfast; birds could wait.

Tea, hot and properly strong, sausages, eggs and---beef mince? The waiter was giving me an odd look, which I had sort of expected, but after a prolonged stare, he simply shook his head and got back on with refilling the hot platters. Once full, I approached the receptionist.

“Morning, Miss..ter Ellison! How can we help?”

“I’m off tomorrow morning”

“Yes indeed, and back in six weeks?”

“Yes, exactly”

“What are you planning?”

“A ride round the coast”

“On a pushie? How far?”

“Looking at Kalgoorlie, depending on how it goes”

“Really?”

She asked more questions, then more, and it was such a change from the airport. I was in an anonymous hotel in a big city, and she was talking to me as if I were a friend. More than that, I got the impression she wasn’t just being polite, but was actually interested. She still seemed to have difficulty bringing me into focus.

Ah, well: I had expected something like that would happen.

“I do have one question. When I fly back out, I’ll need a bike box. Do you know of a cycle shop nearby I might find one?”

“What’s wrong with the one you’ve got?”

“Bit difficult to carry with me”

“Oh, why not just leave it here? We’ve got room”

“You sure? Would save me a load of trouble”

“Ah, she’ll be right, Mister Ellison!”

“Ellie, love. Short for my surname”

No it wasn’t, but never mind.

“Okay Ellie! I’m Carly. What are you doing with the day?”

“What do you recommend?”

“Ah, there’s free buses round the CBD, but I’m guessing you’re not looking to shop yourself out. Trip to Rotto Island be good, but wind’s up. King’s Park’s lovely, and there’s a nice caff by the entrance. Boat trip to Freo’s fun, dolphin watch on the way back? Tickets down by Garrison, the Swan Bells?”

“Thanks, Carly. I’ll think on”

“No! No more naps, ey? You’ll be like death that’s not even been defrosted, Ellie”

I laughed, and went up to my room to sort out a day walking pack. Cameras, binoculars, a looser T-shirt after her stares, and then out of the door.

I followed two of her suggestions, after a short session in the shopping district. The trip to Fremantle was a delight, and I did some real damage to the space on my memory card, including video of dolphins all around the boat to ‘Freo’, and a delicious lunch in the suggested place. My bird list was exploding minute by minute, and I was shocked to see the time pass six in the evening while I was still wandering. Carly was back on the desk, and at her suggestion I hit a nearby pub for a ‘counter meal’.

That night, I slept solidly, and not long after I had finished breakfast, I was in a storage room at the back of the hotel, sliding my empty cardboard box onto the top of some steel cabinets. Oddly, Carly was on duty again, and I asked why.

“Oh, couple of things, Ellie. First is that this is my family’s place, and Mum and Dad are off in Bali for a fortnight, so, yeah. Muggins turn, ey? Second is…”

She took a couple of backwards steps.

“What are you, Ellie? I mean, I saw your passport, so I know what it says, but you’re not right. No: That’s not right, itself. What I mean is that I can’t see you, not how your passport says”

It had been on the cards from the moment I had booked the tickets, but I still wasn’t prepared for it, at least not fully. I doubted I ever could be, to be honest, so I decided to pull those last three words to me.

"Um, yeah. Got passport issues, as well as routing. Had to come an awkward route to get here, cause of all that”

Her eyes closed for a few seconds, squeezing shut before opening once again.

“I’m right, aren’t I? That name, it’s not a nickname, not from your surname, is it?”

“No. Sorry”

“No worries… girl. Am I right, on that one?”

I nodded.

“It’s Elspeth”

“Right… Now, you’re… Start again, Carlita. You’re not going to need your passport for hotels and crap outside the city, right? Just, well, you going to sort of relax a bit once you are actually outside the city?”

She waved at me, specifically at my chest and hair, and I grinned.

“Bloody compression vest, Carly. Called a binder”

“Christ on a bike. Just change over well before you stop for the night, when you do. Why, Ellie? Why all this way? And almost the hottest time of the year?”

“Well, bit of a story”

“Bugger it. Time for a cuppa?”

“Yeah. Not in a hurry, exactly, am I?”

“Grab one of the seats by the door, and I’ll watch the desk from there. Go on!”

I did as instructed, and she was back with two mugs of tea, settling herself in the chair opposite mine.

“So tell!”

“Ah. Cycling friend of mine, years ago. Bit like me”

“Like you as in ‘just like’ you?”

“Yes. Another one like me. More ways than that, cause both of us ended up in limbo. Like you said about choosing the spot I change over on this ride”

“You’re saying you might not be strong enough to…”

“Yes. Sandy was like that”

“And?”

“She went on a cycle tour, let it all, well”

“Stopped playing games?”

“Sort of”

“You’re dodging the question, Ellie”

“Oh, bugger it. She went out on her own, came back with a boyfriend. Got married. Happy”

“Christ on a—I need to stop saying that, ey?. Is that what you’re dreaming of? Do you know what it’s like RFO?”

“RFO?”

“Right Fucking Outback. Kalgoorlie, they’ve even got a brothel museum, and strippers for barmaids. Like that bloody film. I mean, that was really Coober Pedy in SA, but a kicking is a bloody kicking”

“Priscilla?”

“Yeah.. Shit, Ellie: got a phone?”

“Yes”

“Get a SIM card for it, local one. You get any… No. You text me, let me know you’re safe. Let me know where you are. Seen that other film, ‘Wolf Creek’? That’s from WA. I mean, the original killings, they were up north and over east, but shit, they were real”

She looked away again.

“Your friend. Brought back a hubby?”

“Yes”

“You hoping for that?”

“God, no! Don’t swing that way”

“Well, best if you don’t swing ANY way RFO, woman. Shit. Go and get ready; I need to do the counter, but I’ll see you off, okay?”

I nodded, uncertain how to take her sudden passion, and returned to my room for my panniers. I had my hair in a ponytail, a cotton cap under my helmet to give at least some protection against the sun, and by the time I was ready to roll I was slathered with sunblock, lip salve and all sorts of other stuff. Carly was waiting, and despite my protests about the creams, she wrapped me in a crushing hug, whispering into my ear.

“Little hint, Ellie. Mate’s sister, out by Subiaco, girl like you, she was. Wrong bloke, ey? Doing life, but, Christ, text me”

I made my promises, and as I worked my way out of the city, I found her words tumbling over each other in my head. What exactly WAS I thinking, if I was doing any of that in any meaningful way? Wishful thinking, if any. Sandy’s experiences, filtered through a bloody great glass of Glen Dronach, and its friends, spiced with desperation.

Anyway, what was the worst they could do, apart from rape, dismemberment and burial in a shallow grave?

Bloody flies. I wasn’t in that grave, but I might as well have been, given how many of the bastards were on me. Every time I slowed on one of the slight inclines, they were all over my legs and arms. Worst of all were the ones that ended up climbing on the inside of my sunglasses. Bastards.

Three days saw me as far south as Dunsborough, cruising it at fifty miles a day or so until I had my touring legs back. I had stopped in a cool lane marked as the Tuart Forest to get rid of my binder and replace it with one of the three soft-cup sports bras I had buried at the bottom of one of my panniers, and I started off once more in rather better comfort. I finally seemed to be escaping the bricks and concrete, as well as many of the crowds. Dunsborough itself was heaving, so I pushed on for a campsite marked as being at Cowaramup, not far from Margaret River.

Surfers, and people cooking ‘barbies’. The campsite had its own gas-fired range, and the shop sold ‘barbie packs’ as well as beer, and so I followed the locals. Two nights booked, and some swimming for the next day.

“Hey, love! You two eating on your own?”

I looked around to see who the man was talking to, and noticed another woman craning her own neck.

‘Another woman’: remember Carly’s advice, Ellie.

The other woman concerned pointed at herself, and the man, who was probably in his fifties, nodded.

“Yeah, and blondie over there as well! Got the family with me, and the missus always makes too much cold stuff for the barbie. Gotta eat it on the first day, or it’s wasted. Want a share?”

That other woman looked at me, so I shrugged, then nodded. He was with a family. Safe. I extended a hand.

“I can match that offer. I’m Ellie. Here for two nights, and there is absolutely no way I can eat one of those barbie packs in one go”

“Great! I’m Phil, my missus Val, and the two others are Tran and Lachlan”

Val, who I learned was from Vietnam, showed me a table loaded with all sorts of cold treats, including prawn salad, and the other woman laughed out loud.

“I see what you mean! I’m Jacky, by the way, and yes, me too with the meat feast purchase. You local, Phil?”

“Mundaring, East of Perth. We come down here each Crimbo, for the beach. You?”

“Toronto. Lot further east. Christmas is certainly not beach weather for us! Ellie?”

“Originally a place called High Wycombe. You might have seen the area on the telly. Ever see ‘Vicar of Dibley’? Opening credits are about two miles from my place. No beaches at all, though”

Val was laughing which seemed her default state.

“I love that show! That the bit on the highway, down through the rocks?”

“Spot on. Shall I grab my meat?”

Phil’s turn to laugh.

“Not like that, our family! You collect your food, I’ll get the eskie for the beer”

A wonderful evening followed, and I got my first kangaroo pictures as they grazed through the camp once we had full darkness. I could do this.

I ended up spending the next day with Jacky, as she had a little van, and a short drive took us to Gracetown, where there was a beach, a few ospreys and a hell of a lot of surfers. I had changed into my costume back at the site, so had no striptease to worry about, and we spent the day only notionally together, as I swam and bird-watched and she stalked the surrounding slopes for decent pictures. We took lunch in yet another ‘general store’, and while Jacky shared her own reasons for travel, in pressing her restart button after what sounded like a rather nasty divorce, I kept most of my cards off the table.

“It’s supposed to be very redneck up in Kalgoorlie, Ellie”

“Yeah. Girl in the hotel, back in Perth, she called it RFO—right fucking outback”

“Yup. The boonies indeed. Remember to pedal harder if you hear banjos”

More jokes, and an equal increase in my relaxation. Straight woman, Jacky. Safe. She still insisted on taking my Aussie phone number, for the same reasons as Carly.

We really pigged out that evening with Phil, Val and the boys, and yes, beer was consumed in rather larger quantities than I had intended. I was still up earlier that the others, and decided to slip away while I could. I took breakfast at some place in Margaret River, and by the end of the day, I was at a much simpler campsite at the end of a side road. Fire pit, tinned stew cooked in its can on top of the stove; nothing like the food of the past two days, but it went down well, and I slept contented for the first time in months.

The next day was a right mixture, for I went from farmland, a little parched, through what I thought of, in my innocence, as ‘real bush’, and then, in a shock to my legs, the gently rolling road turned into a complete bastard of hills, all clothed in thick forest. I had about four days of that, and while the trees did keep some of the heat off, they also blocked any wind, and I was being sweated to death. I passed a couple of towns, or at least they called themselves that, and finally found myself at what billed itself as an old logging site, where there were showers as well as water laced with sand.

“Tank water, darling! It’s all we have”

I did my best to filter it; all of the clean stuff went into my Camelbak, and the cooking was all with what came out of their tank. I was coming to the harder part of the journey; better get used to it.

The last kookaburra I saw was at that site. The roadkill, on the other hand, with its stench, would only increase. It seemed to be mostly kangaroos, and I got very used to the stages of decomposition, from ‘just sleeping at the side of the road, through fully-inflated balloons that burst and left strips of leather across bleached bones. That vile smell, though, was never something I could get used to, and of course it meant more flies.

A very cold night, surprisingly, and it rained hard. It was only a week till Christmas, and I wondered exactly how my wife was going to celebrate it.

Stop that, Ellie: ex-wife. Former wife. No longer wife. Out of your life wife. Unable to deal with who you really are wife. Move on, and not just by bike.

Up before the heat built too high, and back on the road. There was one absolute monster of a hill late in the day, just before a place called Walpole, and then the road was easier. A giant picture of a splendid or superb or magnificent or whatever fairywren (it was blue) marked the next town, Denmark, and I took a bed in a backpackers’ dorm. That was another little test, because the place separated dorms by sex, and I was put in the women’s, without any close inspection or challenge. I needed to slow down a little, but there was nothing much in Denmark. The next morning I rode for Albany, and another backpackers’ place, busier this time in a very international way, and I booked four nights there.

That was a mistake. The place is a small town that imagines itself as a major city, and it was the first place since Perth where I saw women in heels having laptop-enabled conversations seated at tables in pretentious coffee shops. I tried a local pub, with its own brewery, and try as I might, I couldn’t taste the difference between any of the lagers they brewed. One other pub I was directed to did a normally excellent real ale as a keg, complete with gas pressure.

Just no.

My second breakfast there was thus a little less optimistic, and I was considering cancelling and riding on, when I saw a familiar face.

“Hiya, Jacky! You stayed last night?”

“Ellie? Good morning! Yeah. Rolled in late, crashed out right away. Don’t like driving at night here; potential roadkill’s a bit supersize”

“Try smelling it, Jacky”

“I do. Even with aircon on”

“No, woman. Try riding past it at my speed so you can enjoy it fully”

“Oh, heck. Got you. What’s your plans?”

“Ah, stayed two nights here. Bit disappointed with the city. Booked in for four nights, but thinking of bailing”

“That bad?”

“Bit pretentious. Not sure what else there is to see”

“I’m down for three more nights. There’s lots of places round the town. Not the same with an engine, ey?”

She slurped her coffee.

“Fancy a lift out to see some of them? If you’ve paid for the nights, it would be a shame to waste them”

“You sure?”

“Sure am. Be nice to have someone familiar to talk with”

“I’m not that familiar”

“You’re more familiar than anyone else in this country. Up for it?”

“Why the hell not? Deal!”

I had a dress with me, a simple sun dress, so I decided that if I had a companion, my boat could be pushed out a little more than I had planned. There were all sorts of rock formations for Jacky to snap, as well as the amusingly named ‘Vancouver’, which set her chuckling.

“I do believe this Vancouver’s a bit warmer than ours!”

I extended my bird list surprisingly far, I didn’t have to linger over the aroma of well-aged kangaroo meat, and I almost regretted being on my bike. Almost.

We ended up in the brewery pub for both of my remaining nights, as it was better than many of the others, and I saw Jacky wincing as she surveyed the very young women around us, in their minimal clothing and extremely pointy shoes.

“I know clubs in downtown Toronto where they dress up less than here”

I nodded.

“What gets me is what’s outside the city, and it’s bugger all. Nothing but RFO”

“Yeah, and what’s outside Toronto is, well, loads more Toronto. Can I ask a personal question, Ellie?”

Shit. I’d been watching her, and I couldn’t decide whether it would be a come-on or a sod-off, as in being read for what I really was.

“Depends; might not answer”

“Kay. My old man’s an asshole. No two ways about that. He was screwing two of his colleagues, and he tried to get into the pants of our help. Er, cleaner? When I called him out on that shit, he got physical”

“How physical?”

“Welp, I spent some time in the emergency room with a concussion. He’s now spending time in a cell. His choice. This trip is seeing how I cope on my own. Spent too many years living with him, having him make the choices, the decisions. Always wanted to see this place, and he always wanted to go to fucking Florida. Every year, same shitfuck. Fucking Disney shit”

I realised she was moving quickly past ‘somewhat merry’ to ‘absolutely pissed’, so I kept her talking, on the basis of slowing down her drinking.

“Not a fan of Disney?”

“Couldn’t give a shit about it. It’s FLORIDA. Fucking fascist assholes running the place. We got a travel warning in our province, for gay people, rainbow folks. ‘Don’t go there’, it says, not if you’re LGBTQI whatever other letters”

“You’re okay with LGBT people?”

“Fuck, yeah. My brother’s a fucking drag queen, and my sister, who do you think took the asshole down when he tried to kill me? Funny, that; her transit..transh… transition don’t seem to have slowed her down none”

She drank more lager.

“But you, Ellie? What’s put that stick up your ass? What’s your problem?”

That needed a little care on my part. Jacky was just about wrecked, but how drunk was I? My mouth went its own way.

“Separation so far, Jacky”

“He another asshole?”

“She. No, not really. Just a bit sort of stuck in her own world”

Jacky stared at me for a few moments.

“Didn’t realise you were… hope y’understand, ‘m not like that. Straight”

“I know, Jacky. Making this my last one, okay? setting off tomorrow, don’t want to be too hung over”

“Ellie?”

“Yeah?”

“What you doing for Christmas?”

“Honestly? God knows. I’ll be somewhere between here and Esperance, so not much choice”

“Yeah. Well. Look… Clarice, yeah?”

“Who?”

“My sister. Was my bro. Had a thing about Judy Foster”

“Jodie”

“Yeah, that’s the one. Clarice”

“What about her?”

“Think you and her, Ellie. You understand. Stuff. You get it. All I say… don’t burn bridges less you has to”

I saw her back to the dorm, where her snores had some people moving out to the common room to sleep. In the morning, before she rose, I was on my way.

Shit, that stretch was hard. I spent the best part of a week riding across a whole series of dried-up watercourses, each with a rapid descent followed by a horrendous grind back up. Yes; I had flies crawling up the inside of my sunglasses as I slowed down. Each night was spent in a marginal camp site, because there simply weren’t any, and more than a few were spent lying in the open, between thorny brush. It was really, really shit. Sod the rednecks ‘RFO’, the landscape was doing far worse that any man ever could.

I ran out of water on Boxing Day. Fortunately, I was only ten hours out of Jerramungup, and I spent a night there sleeping on some scabby ground near the garage. That brought a surprise, when a couple of the lorry drivers brought me a packet of muffins from the shop.

“Hi, love. Not exactly Christmas cake, but this’ll do yer as right as we can manage. Trev says he’ll fill yer water for yer. Not like yer one of those wankers from the city, ey? In a bloody Range Rover? Anyway, happy bloody Crimbo!”

Deepest ebb, swiftest flood. Bless them, rednecks, RFO, whatever.

It wasn’t as bad after the truckstop, but once the land levelled out and the camping was easier, of course there was a town there, Ravensthorpe. With a proper campsite, just when I didn’t bloody need it. I carried on, day by day, and it was a few miles short of Esperance when the mobile phone started to chirp from its little pocket at the top of my Camelbak, as I finally came within range of a signal again.

Carly and Jacky both, with texts politely demanding news. I left it until I was settled on a pitch right by the sea, in Esperance itself.

Doing well. At Espy. Happy Christmas.

It tool me three days before I could face moving on, but I filled my time by eating, consuming food, having meals and enjoying the local cuisine, as I had run out of food only two days out of Albany. I really hadn’t understood the scale of my challenge. The morning I started off once more, heading north, I got another text from Jacky.

Yeah, Ellie, if I got you and sis wrong, shit. Sis says no road maps. No set way of transition. Me, I say don’t write your wife off. Comes bad from me, with my asshole ex, but hey. At least ask. Send her an HNY or shit. You lose nothing; might gain a lot. And MCAAHNY, woman

Nice thought; no chance. I rode off for Gibson and Kalgoorlie.

Gibson, I met Ralph, the man who cleaned the road signs and removed the road kill. I asked about his sense of smell, and he laughed.

“Took a tip from that film, love! Keep a tub of Vaporub in the ute, put it under my nose. Works a dream, even with something as big as a brumby”

Grass Patch, they treated me to a New Year’s Eve meal in the pub, before I slept on gravel in the car park. That was when I worked out which film Ralph had meant, and remembered where Jacky’s sister had found her name.

Bromus, some grey nomads gave me a beer and a meal, before refilling my water, as we camped on what was supposed to be a ‘site’ that was simply areas of powdery, dead dirt among blackbutt gums, with a couple of yellow rubbish bins thick with flies.

Norseman, I took a unit in a motel, eating at a nearby pub, where they let me know how Ralph had passed the word up, and people had been looking out for me every yard I had cycled from Esperance. My mind was all over the place, and I couldn’t settle on the best course of action.

Kalgoorlie, the RFO and stripper barmaids? I didn’t need any more rednecks, even if they had looked after me so well, for it put me in the position of having to play a part I couldn’t settle into.

The dirt road over Lake Cowan and nothing till the edge of Perth? I rode out one day, past the ‘traffic hazard’ sign and across the expanse of dry salt to the lookout. A short excursion down the well-shaded track left me near collapse from the heat.

Set out for Adelaide, across the Nullarbor, and see how far I got? A road sign outside the town said it was 1,986 kilometres, and I was tempted. In my heart, I knew what that really meant, and the image that came to mind was someone’s clothing left on a beach as they simply swam as far away from land and life as their strength could carry them.

I spent my days riding out around the area each morning, the afternoons in the full-sized swimming pool doing length after solitary length, still seeing that pile of clothes on the beach, and wondering how far my own strength could take me before I gave up and just walked away from the road and into that RFO.

Sitting in the bar one evening, I looked at Jacky’s text once more, and made my decision. Her mention of her ‘sis’ brought back a vivid memory of Ralph’s beaming face as he applied the smelly ointment to his upper lip, and the decision was simple. My text was as anodyne as I could make it, while still, I hoped, getting my point across.

Hi. Been a tough ride. In Norseman; got signal here. Need to decide. Keep riding east across Nullarbor, or come home. Would love to come home. Just need a home to come back to. But either way merry Christmas and a happy new year. Love Ellie

Once the text had gone, I found myself laughing, because it was surreal. Here was I, burnt brown, shrivelled round the edges in an oven of a place, making a new year resolution, something which had previously always come with a silent prayer for the weather to perk up. I spent four days in Norseman, because I didn’t see the point of visiting a town that celebrated brothels, the track from Cowan would kill me in short order, and I knew full well that there would be temptation once on the Nullarbor to simply disappear. Norseman had a bus that would take me and my bike back to Perth, via a change in Esperance, and the lady at the tourist office was smiling and efficient as she booked my seat.

“You not going up to Kal, love? Loads to see there, and they’ve got a train back to the city”

“I checked that one out on the net before I came. Don’t take bikes. You sure the buses do?”

“My old man’ll be driving you, love. He’ll see you get there, you and your pushie. No worries, ey?”

Kalgoorlie? Bugger that bit of RFO. Once my ticket was confirmed, I rang Carly’s hotel to make sure they still had a room for me, and then texted Jacky to let her know when and how I would be arriving. The subtext, of course, was to allay her worries.

The first bus, the ‘Old Man’ played shit old films. The second, it was recordings of ‘Are You Being Served?’, which was even worse. I only just managed the ride to the hotel, and as I took the bike into the lobby, Carly greeted me with “Christ on a bike, woman, how much weight have you lost?”

I gave her an arch look.

“You can never be too rich or too thin!”

“Oh, bugger what that Nazi cow said. Mum and Dad are back. You up for a meal tonight?”

“Well, stomach thinks throat’s been cut, so yes please, ripper, she’ll be right, et cetera”

She folded her arms across her chest and dipped her chin.

“You can leave the RFO in the bloody RFO, woman!”

My phone chirped again: Jacky.

Back in Perth. Where you to?

“Could you hang on a sec, Carly? Just need to reply to this”

I texted straight back.

In Perth too. Out with friend tonight. You want?

She wanted. Carly wrote down the name and address of the place she had in mind, and I added that to my reply. Carly grinned.

“Same room, Ellie. Shower and change? And who’s that texting?”

I could see what she was thinking.

“New friend, yes, but nothing like Sandy’s. She’s from Canada, and I do believe she is straight”

“No worries, then. Shower and change!”

I went with the sundress again, along with a pair of sandals I had picked up in ‘Espy’ while waiting for my connecting bus. Carly’s eyebrows rose on seeing me.

“Thank Christ the rents were away when I booked you in. Anyway, bus stop on the corner. Got everything you need?”

“No, but got what I have”

“Hang on…”

She disappeared through her office door, and reappeared with a small shoulder bag.

“Lose the backpack and dump your shit into this. Lost property, but not asked for it back after six months, so you’ll be fine”

The pack went into the office, Carly called out a “We’re just off to eat, Mum” (“Okay, love”), and we were off down the street to the bus stop. The restaurant was Italian, which made me laugh with memories of years of cycling advice about carb-loading with pasta. Sod that; I wanted a sloppy great pizza and a starter and a bloody dessert.

“Woman over there looking round; that your mate?”

“Oh… yeah! Jacky!”

She was soon pulling out a chair, the brightest of smiles on her face.

“What a colour you are, Ellie! Who’s this? I’m Jacky, from Toronto, so I’ll just say ‘aboat’ once and we can move on”

Carly was trying not to snort her beer up, so I did the honours.

“Jacky, who I kept meeting on the ride; Carly, who’s looked after me in her hotel here in the City, and stored my bike box. Oh, and just to clear the air, so we CAN move on, each of you knows the same stuff about me”

Jacky called for a waiter, and ordered a round of drinks. Once we had them in front of us, she looked at Carly.

“My big sis, Clarice. You, Carly?”

“Friend’s sister. Didn’t… didn’t make it”

“Fuck that shit! Ellie knows what I think. Anyway, girl, got some news from home, about the asshole”

As an aside to Carly I said ‘Ex husband” before turning back to Jacky.

“And?”

“Clarice, that’s my sister, well, I said to this woman here, I said the asshole had tried to get into the pants of our help. Cleaner, yeah? Anyway, turns out he had tried harder than we realised. When he went down, she felt safe enough to talk to the RCMP, about exactly how hard he tried, and how much she said ‘no’ to him”

“Charged?”

“Fucking A he’s been charged! Looking at up a twenty-five stretch, depending. That’s my good news. What’s yours, Ellie? I think you have some for us”

Carly was now smiling.

“I think I like your friend, Ellie”

Jacky chugged her beer down in double time.

“Yeah, well, this woman’s got taste. And don’t worry; not gonna be like that night in Albany. Happy, this time. Order first?”

I waved to the same waiter who had brought our drinks, and our orders went off with him as he delivered another round.

Jacky raised her glass.

“To good news and confounding the Patriarchy! What news, Ellie?”

“I did what you suggested”

“And?”

“Just sent the holiday wishes like you said, and suggested it would be nice if we could say hello when I returned. Got a reply; came through once we got reception, this morning, on the bus”

Carly groaned.

“Christ, like pulling bloody teeth, this! And?”

“Says she’ll see me at the airport”

“Right. Jacky?”

“Yeah?”

“I think we both see this the same way. Am I right?

“If you mean she needs to go open heart, open mind, open to options, absolutely. How you going to travel, girlfriend?”

I waved vaguely at my dress and chest, and Carly laughed.

“Going to guess you made a new year reso, ey?”

I shook my head.

“Not quite. New Year’s Eve I was camped on gravel in a place called Grass Patch. I made this decision nearly a week later, in a swimming pool in Norseman”

Carly laughed once more.

“Sounds like your style! Anyway, we both need a promise. I want one, and so does Jacky, I would guess. No disappearing act, okay? You let us know, however it goes. Promise?”

I gave the promise, and my cheesy aubergine starter arrived. We all ended up drunk, and nobody cared.

The flight back was just as crap, but I wore my sundress this time, no binder, metaphorically waving two fingers at the authorities, so glad I had avoided routing via Dubai or Abu Dhabi. The UK Immigration woman in Gatwick stared at me for a few seconds, but she was wearing rainbows on her shoulders.

“What would you prefer to be called?”

“Ellie. Um, Miss Ellison, if that’s allowed”

“Absolutely, Miss Ellison! I would suggest a word with your doctor. Letter from him or her, allows a passport change”

“My GP refused”

Her eyebrows lifted, and she shook her head slowly before smiling.

“Find another one, then. Your life, and life is to be lived, I always say, not endured. Oh, and are we still saying Happy New Year? Welcome home, either way”

At baggage reclaim, I spent far longer than I expected waiting for a bike box that would eventually turn up three days later, and as I headed for the Green Channel, I sent the same text to Carly and Jacky.

At Customs. Will let you know later. Sending love and thanks for clearing my head

No challenge as I pushed my trolley of panniers through the Green, my gift handbag carrying a lot of what I needed, a fleece jacket over my shoulders as my legs started to regret my choice of clothing in a Sussex January.

She was standing in front of the pie shop, her eyes flicking over each new arrival, and I don’t think she realised who I was until I was clearly walking towards her rather than anyone else.

“Harry… Ellie, I mean… Your colour, god. And so thin!”

“Heat and hard work, love”

She twitched at that word, but tried to smile.

“Where’s your bike?”

“They’ve lost it for now. They said it should be here in a couple of days”

“How will…”

She stopped speaking, looking me up and down, from unbound hair to sandals, via breasts and clothing.

“This is really you, isn’t it?”

“Always has been”

Her mouth twisted, tears almost but not quite waiting offstage for their moment.

“I… I didn’t expect you back. I thought, you know… Expected an inquest or something”

“Had that thought. Found some friends. They chased it away”

“Right…”

She stared across at the food shop for a few moments, then turned back to me. I took the chance, and held out my hands to her, and I wondered, as she took them, if it was simply an automatic reaction. She stammered a little over her next words.

“Got a few days off, Ellie. We can pick the bike up when it arrives. Let’s get you warmed up; must be freezing in that dress”

She was still mine, and I was hers.

I sent the texts the next morning.

Door was unlocked. Turned the handle.

up
50 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yup

The main part of the story I felt needed a better explanation.

Vanishing ?

Now that's a much more rounded tale. But a good description of WA and the outback.
I'll be renewing my view of it in May. I have family out that way.

Polly J

just curious

Do you think having to compress the story improved the this version? By that I mean did having to pare things down let you see the heart of the story better. One thing that I thought worked better in short version was that the travelog was more intense, the feel of the outback more unrelenting. On the other hand, the emotional journey was clearer this way. Good story both ways.

Short answer

Yes, to all you said.

And yes: it is REALLY RFO around Bromus. Take a look at Bromus Dam on 'streetview'

In many ways……

D. Eden's picture

This reminds me of my own journey. Of course, I didn’t run off to tour Australia on a bike, but my wife and I did in fact fall apart.

She stayed in upstate NY, and I left for central PA - and then later for Columbia, SC. And yeah, along the way I had a few thoughts of death. Death and I are old friends; there is no fear in my heart there.

There was a time when I would have welcomed it, and there will again be a time in the future when I will welcome it once more. But not yet. I have promises to keep and people to help before I leave this life.

My wife and I are back together - as in your story, she came to understand that I have always been the person that I am now. I am just the real me now, and a better version of the self I was before.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Nods head sharply . . .

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Yes. The story was great, either way. The dialogue always good, and more focus on the setting than several of your stories, I think (though Prodigal Son also gave me a vivid sense of place and climate). It was more important to this story. But the ending here felt more solid, the emotional arc easier to follow to its very satisfying end. Thank you for sharing this version, too.

Emma

This Is MY Steph

joannebarbarella's picture

All the extra bits that were missing in the contest version. I knew you weren't happy about pruning everything down to the bone, although you did a great job ripping flesh off for the tale.

This version restores all the dialogue and descriptiveness that we love in your stories, the interaction between your people that makes them memorable.

I've only ever been to Perth, a lovely city, but the south-west is on my bucket list, particularly the Margaret River. Guess who likes a great wine! I'll look elsewhere but it won't be on a pushbike!

South West WA

If you can, take a couple of nights at Lake Beedelup for the waterfall and woodland walks. The Maggie River wineries are great, from posh Vassa Felix through one that flavours everything with lavender, to Swings and Roundabouts, the one that names all of its wines after kids' games, such as 'kiss chasey'.

Yallingup (Smith's) beach is nice and safe. Injidup/Rutherwal is a delight in other ways. If you get as far as Walpole, look out for the Whale's Willy, and in Espy take the Woody Island trip.

I had, to all effects, forgotten the earlier version

There was a feeling of familiarity as I read your subject's tour of western Oz, but it was more "deja vue" than memory. To me, in contrast to earlier readers' comments, this was a vast improvement.
Thank you
Dave

Ellie Rode A Mere 600 Km

joannebarbarella's picture

Or so from Perth. That's the length of mainland Britain. And that's about 10% of Western Australia! You have no concept of the size of this one state of our continent. Texas, eat your heart out. Our grasshoppers are six feet tall! And that's the good bit. The rest is mines and desert and more mines and more desert. I'm just happy she survived and we had the promise of reconciliation on her return to the UK.

Er...no

It's a ride I did years ago, and 600km is the direct route due East from Perth. That's the route that comes out on the dirt track by Lake Cowan, as described in the story. Lake Cowan, by the way, is just a salt pan, with interesting colours where the various chemicals have leached into the salt.

The way I rode, and that I put Ellie on, is just under 1,600km (1,000 miles), and yes: that bit before Ravensthorpe is absolutely bloody awful.

When I did the ride, it was in the Spring, and it was bloody cold in the SW forests--down to minus two Celsius (about 28 F), but when I arrived at Kalgoorlie, it was 44 C (113 F).

It Was Never My Intention

joannebarbarella's picture

To diminish Ellie's ride through South West Western Australia. You should know that of all your readers I am probably the one who appreciates the immensity of that ride.