In Too Deep - Ch 7

Printer-friendly version

Chapter Seven

Dana's mind was a maelstrom of battling thoughts. Sloan as a woman? Could she do that to her own husband? How could she even talk to him about it; and what about the other things that Ms. Sharp had hinted at? There was definitely a weirdness about her and her husband's relationship with Gabriel.

As all of these thoughts warred in Dana's mind, her husband was covering the bar at 'The ANVIL'. Sloan actually liked tending bar. He enjoyed the give and take with his customers, as well as the staff. There was a rarefied atmosphere to the place, as Hollywood's 'big-timers' would come in during the day to take a meeting, pitch a story, or close a deal. Later the 'unwinders' would stop by for a couple of drinks and to swap a few stories before fighting the traffic. Finally, you had the 'party crowd' who came to see and to be seen. It was a fascinating way to observe characters and try to assimilate them into his repertoire...and who knows, maybe one of those big-timers would spot him and open the door?

Toni, one of the cocktail waitresses, came by during a lull and interrupted his people-watching.

"How did it go today?"

He frowned, "I don't know, Toni. The director had me in and out of the room in under 30 seconds. Not a good sign."

"Well, you know what they say, Sloan... you just gotta keep putting yourself out there....", her voice trailed off.

"I suppose, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong."

"What do you mean?"

"I can't put my finger on what it is, but I feel like I'm auditioning for the wrong roles...which is ridiculous because I audition for everything"

"Maybe you should start auditioning for the women's roles", she laughed.

"Very funny"

"Well, the word is out that Matt Sharp is looking for an actor that can play both a male and a female in his new film."

"Well, at the rate I'm going, I'd try anything."

"Just watch your ass, Sloan. I hear the Sharps use the casting couch", Toni giggled as she turned to deal with a couple of her tables.

Sloan idly watched her as she walked back across the room, but his mind was years away.

-Sloan always loved to perform. He just seemed to delight in making people smile. As the baby of the family, he had two older sisters that he loved dearly. They told him stories at bedtime, helped him with his homework, taught him how to dance, and played with him when he was bored.

As hard as he tried, he could not remember the first time they had played dress-up together, but he definitely remembered the last time. He and his sisters were playing Rock Legends on a game console. Cassie, the oldest, was singing and he and Julie were rocking out with their jewelry rattling as they twanged the little plastic guitars. Sloan was decked out in a micro mini skirt with a fuzzy vest over a yellow camisole. His hair was teased like an 80s rocker, and his eyes were rimmed in black from the heavy makeup. His fingers, lips, and toes all shone with a glossy deep red and he was having so much fun.

As they each took a turn singing, Cassie grabbed her camera and took some pictures of each of them together as well as individually. When it was time for dinner, his mother looked a little worried at her giggling, feminized, 10 year old son and sent all three of them off to get cleaned up for dinner.

After the meal, while they were all still at the table, his father casually asked them what they had done all day. Sloan happily shared the entire story without reservation. He was confused by his father's puzzled expression, but that gave way to worry as the puzzlement turned to anger.

His father sent the three of them to bed, and from his room, Sloan could hear the raised voices from downstairs. After a few minutes, his father came into his room and sat on the bed.

"Son, I know you were just playing around with your sisters, but there are some things you need to know about boys and girls..."

The talk that followed was confusing and left him feeling sad and ashamed. Somehow, he had disappointed his parents, and he had done a bad thing. He was never sure what was bad about playing dress-up since his sisters did it all the time, but apparently it was a bad thing for Sloan to do.

Sloan never played dress-up with his sisters again, but a year later he was performing in plays and suddenly it was OK to dress up and pretend to be someone else.

up
80 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

OMG I AM STUPID !!!!

waif's picture

Well. As you can see, in attempting to post chapter 5 I accidentally wiped out ch 4 then wiped 1-3 while trying to fix it.

I finally gave up and just re-posted chapter 1-5 as a single bloc.

Hopefully, a forgiving moderator will remove the old files and not just wipe my account off the site.

waif

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

All seem ok.

I think all have turn out good. Although you have lost all those good comments from previous post but at least you have got your chapter posted nicely this time.
Anyway I like how your story goes. I am hooked so far.

Thank You

waif's picture

I really appreciate all comments.

I know I really had a hard time getting them all straight (OMG I can't believe I said that word). Many wonderful people helped me fix the errors and I am working on getting chapter 8 finished, even as week speak !!!!!

I love getting feedback.

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

At least it didn't involve a

At least it didn't involve a beating, too many do

Karen