Two Roses

Printer-friendly version

Two Roses

A different kind of transgender tale

By Melanie E.

-------/---@

"That'll be two fifty, sir."

I smile as I pay the florist, taking the two long-stemmed roses. It's a ritual we've long shared, he and I; one I repeat annually.

One rose is for the woman I fell in love with, so long ago. Beautiful, smart, witty, and energetic, from the moment I spotted her across campus she was the only girl I could see. Even though I lost her years ago, I still thought about her every day, and every time I looked into our daughter's eyes I see that same vibrant joy and life.

The other rose is for the man I love. It took so long for me to accept, for our children to understand, but in the end first forgiveness, then acceptance, and finally that same love, was inevitable. It was, after all, those same eyes, that same smile, and the same spirit I'd fallen in love with years before. The laugh might be different, and the shape, but it was the same person.

Two roses; one for the woman I loved, the other for the man she became, and who still held my heart.

As is our routine, I turn around, take two steps away, then present the roses to the florist again. There's that smile, those crinkles at the corners of his eyes.

"Happy anniversary, honey."

"You too, hon."

We still get the occasional odd looks from customers when we kiss across the counter, and the expected gagging sounds from our teenage daughter, now working part-time in the shop, but like everything else those fade away in the kiss.

@--\-------

Because wives aren't the only ones can continue to love.

Melanie E.

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

thanks

Good job . thanks .this would be a good one to expand .

A very nice short story.....

D. Eden's picture

But based on my own current situation, and taking this evening's happenings into account, I would say that love is not always enough.

As much as I would wish it otherwise, anger and pain seem to trump love every time.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

.

Love can be enough, but seldom is.

I've been watching for a while and it seems to me that most relationships start with lust. That's usually good for a few hours at least but can last for as long as a year or so.

A few lucky souls find themselves in a relationship that has evolved to love. Not as intense, but so much easier to sustain. And so much more worth sustaining. These relationships can last for decades, although sadly some don't. Many don't end until one or the other dies.

But an even luckier few will find their relationship morphing into a friendship. It seems to happen slowly, but you can't imagine the joy of discovering that your lover is also you best friend, until you discover it yourself.

Not even death can end this bond.

T

Not sure I believe it but…

Rhona McCloud's picture

… love is love and that comes across in your story.

Rhona McCloud

Nice reversal story for a

Nice reversal story for a change. And especially with all the love encasing it.

Oh wow, Came at this from an

Oh wow, Came at this from an unexpected direction.
Great story ! This could be the prologue for a short story, ever think of expanding this ?

Karen