A Longer War 76

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER 76
I walked up to the side door again, letting myself in and going directly to the vestry, where Ruth, naturally, had the kettle on ready. She already knew my habits, and I had a sudden warm memory of Wilf’s. Time for a brew?

The doctor had been as gentle as she could be, but her message couldn’t be mistaken.

“So what’s plan, then, Doctor?”

She rubbed her eyes. “We have a hospice, my friend. They are… Making people comfortable is what they do. There is also a wonderful organisation called Macmillan who offer specialist nurses and help with respite care”

“Beg pardon?”

“Gerald, you will soon start getting very ill. From what you tell me, you have a very supportive family and…”

“There’s just me, Doctor”

“Oh, Gerald, and that young lady, and her mother, and her young man, they aren’t family? Bloody men! Sorry. Gerald, respite care means that Macmillan offer your own carers, your own FAMILY, a break every now and then. This process is never easy for anyone involved”

I left before she could break, taking with me some contact leaflets for a hospice and Macmillan, resolving to make sure they were kept out of sight. I wasn’t really sure where I was going, but of course I ended up at the cemetery, where the sun was warm on the bench that Darren had surprised me with a couple of days before.

A brass plaque was attached to it, giving thanks to Bob and the Barker family, and I sat for twenty minutes or so, silent but telling all to the three of them as they lay under the little pots of flowers Val and Susie looked after.

Game over for now, Ginge. Come in number 14, your time is up. Still enough of it to see a lad and a lass wed and happy, though. I settled my cap and continued to Tadcaster and Ruth.

We had been praying together on a regular basis now, and to be honest it was helping me to see things as they really were. Dad had always talked of spilt milk, and Mam was of the same mind. No crying over milk, nor over what can’t be helped. Just get on and make the best of it.

“The Doctor is sure, Gerald?”

“Aye, Ruth. Never been a tomcat, just got the one, and, well, it’s done”

“And what do you think of it?”

“What, cancer?”

“No, love, your life. Do you feel you did it justice?”

I went to say something, and she held up both hands.

“I watched the telly show you were on, love. I listened to that young man, what he said. My Dad married his parents, by the way, so I know the family. You made a huge difference there, Gerald, just like you did back in the forties. And you’ve not had a bad run, really, before you head on upstairs”

I raised an eyebrow, and she smiled.

“The test of a good life, love, is that you leave the world a better place than you found it. Believe me when I say that is a test you passed with flying colours. Shall we pray?”

I left her place almost singing because she had switched topics so quickly after our devotions.

“Here, grab the phone”

“Eh?”

“You may be a good man, Gerald Barker, but you’ve never been brightest in your conversation! Val and Susie have been busy, and you have four weeks on Saturday. Pete’s organised cars for you, Val’s sorted dresses out, just rehearsals to go”

“When did this all happen?”

She laughed. “Men never see what is under their noses! Anyway, you’ve been a bit preoccupied, love. Andy’s got you an appointment at MossBros next week. Morning suit, aye?”

“Nobody spoke to me?”

Her smile softened again. “Valerie knows all, doesn’t she?”

“Aye”

“Well, talk to her. She said to me that if there had to be a deadline, it would be one you would be able to meet. She’s a very determined woman, is Valerie Lockwood”

I laughed out loud at that. “So why phone?”

“Guests. Andy and Susie have sorted theirs, and the girl says she wants as many of your comrades and friends there as possible. You’ll laugh, but a lad from your boatyard has been speaking to the local lads in khaki, and we won’t be using the organ that day. Now, there’s a list of who she wants you to call. Don’t worry about call charges; as long as each one is less than an hour, I get them free”

It wasn’t just a list, for my girl had added little notes to some of them, and I was astonished at the breadth of the names she had listed, and the depth it showed in her character.

“Rodney? What are you up to four weeks come Saturday?”

“Matthew…”

“Joe?”

A surprise: “Tom? Gerald Barker”

“Oh, hello, mate! Great to hear from you! What did you think?”

“Er... I was right taken with young Ashley’s bit. Rest was good, too. Just, well, memories, aye?”

“I understand. To what do I owe the pleasure of your call?”

“You know I have a sort of adopted daughter? Susie?”

“The one you took on your coach trip?”

“The very one. She gets wed four weeks on Saturday, in Tadcaster…”

“Mr Barker, you are a star!”

“Eh?”

“Would you mind a camera crew?”

“I were only ringing to ask on her behalf, like, if you wanted to come to wedding!”

“Oh, it’s ever thus. Look: human interest piece on local news, war hero sees daughter married. As long as she’s happy with that”

“I’m not a war hero, Tom”

“Oh for fuck’s fucking sake! Didn’t you watch the fucking show? Sorry. Shouldn’t. Yes, I’ll be there, and if the young lady agrees we will give her a better record than any poncey wedding video hack can do. Either way, I will be proud to be there, my friend”

“I’ll ask lass”

“Please!”

Deep breaths. Dial again.

“Laura Evans!”

“Oh, hello. I don’t know if you remember me. I’m Gerald Barker, from York way”

“Oh, of course I remember! Dad and Pete’s friend!”

‘Dad’? The old smoothie!

“Aye, the very same. What are you up to four weeks on Saturday?”

She laughed, and I had a flash of memory of a robot in a lecture theatre.

“Oh, Dad’s already passed that news. The young lady’s getting you to do all the ringing round?”

“Seems like!”

“Well, we’re already sorted. Cunning plan on my part, getting another man used to walking down an aisle in a suit”

“Oh? Pete’s, you know?”

“Not legless any more? Sorry, that’s his joke. Ollie’s done wonders—that’s his physio—and he’s not quite there yet, but, well, he’s walking as much as he can, so yes. Which side?”

“Beg pardon?”

“Bride or groom?”

“Oh, bride, I would say”

“We will see you there, then. Got a pen? I will give you our address for the RSVP”

I made another inarticulate noise, she muttered “Men!” before reading out where she lived, and I had a flash memory of Valerie saying “That’s a lad?”

The last number was an odd one, far longer than normal, and it rang for quite a while before a grumpy-voiced man answered.

“Yeah? Better be a bloody good reason waking a bloke up this time of night!”

My heart skipped a beat. How had she found the number?

“Bill…?

There was silence for about fifteen seconds, then he spoke again, far more gently.

“Sorry, mate, whoever you are, but Dad passed away last year, assuming that’s who you were after. Could I ask who you are?”

“Wilfie…?”

“Oh my God…Uncle Gerald? Really? Uncle bloody Gerald? Debs, Christ, get me some paper and pen!”

I looked across at Ruth as I realised exactly where the number was, and she just nodded sharply, clearly aware.

“Not a problem, love”

Wilfie was talking away from the phone, obviously to his wife or whatever she was, and then he was back.

“Uncle Gerald? Do you do Skype?”

“Skype? What’s that?”

Ruth called out “Hang on, love, and I will sort. Can I take the phone?”

She had a quick conversation I couldn’t follow, writing down what I recognised as some sort of computer address, then hung up and switched on her own machine. There was some delay as she did things on the keyboard, and then a picture formed. It was jerky, but clear, and there was sound, and a middle-aged couple in dressing gowns. Ruth stood, waving me to take her seat.

“Uncle Gerald? Really you?”

Ruth whispered, “Just talk normally” and so I did.

“Hello, son”

“Oh sweet Jesus. Debs, I told you about Dad, yeah? War and that? And my own father? This is the man who served with them. My Uncle Gerald. He used to take me out on boats in the river. Mate, Uncle… My memories back then, you know, it seems like it was always summer? Climbing trees, eating jam sandwiches? Mum was very fond of you, you know. Said you were always the safe pair of hands. Sorry. Shouldn’t bloody cry. Sorry, Debs. Uncle, there better be a bloody good reason for this call, and I don’t mean for disturbing me. I just mean I hope you rang because of something good, something happy”

“Er, aye. Got a… Got a daughter getting wed in four weeks from this Saturday, and she gave us a list of people to ring, so sorry I woke you, and all”

“Don’t be silly. Just that I have to be off to work in a while, and, well, getting on a bit. Need my beauty sleep, unlike my own blushing bride here. Look: this is Skype, lets us talk cheaply, not like a phone call. Your friend there—bloody vicar? Ah well. Sorry, Vicar! Get this lot noted and I’ll mail you from work, set up time for a proper chinwag. I want to know everything!”

I took it all down, and of course Ruth was there with tea and a hanky, and four weeks flew by, filled with suit-fittings that were suddenly abandoned as another and finer suit was delivered marked ‘Courtesy of the R.E.R. and R.T.R.’

That day came, a grinning Wilfie and his beautiful wife arriving three days beforehand, so much to discover, to share, to unearth from the vault I kept all my favourite memories in. Ruth was so right about living a life well, for we only received one, and there was no training. Everyone learns on the job and there are no second chances for the big mistakes.

I had watched as the guests assembled, young Pete so much taller than I remembered, his fiancée looking radiant beside him. Our Officers, all of them, were in uniform, along with Ernie, Joe, all the old and new comrades. The Royal East Ridings’ band made all the right noises for the day, while Val just sat weeping quietly to one side of the aisle. I could just make out Andy with Darren standing before Ruth.

That had been an interesting conversation.

“Surely one of your own friends, son?”

“They were never my friends, Gerald. What they tried to get me to do with my girl was just a piss-take, right nasty. That lad there, he’s been at her back since day she started with you. Nobody else comes up to that, ‘cept you, and you’re busy that day”

He started to laugh, and I gave him a look to ask what was funny.

“It’s the name, Gerald. Susie says having him there as best man finally kills off what she used to be called. Symmetrical, she says”

So, there we are. I straighten my uniform, settling the stable belt in three colours: mud, blood, green fields. My daughter takes my arm, beautiful in white, smiling up at me. I can hear the brass of the East Ridings’ band playing the wedding march and see their honour guard at the church door and, in my mind’s eye, the other people watching over, smiling as they do so. Maurice, our accountant who became an officer. Harry, smiling now, and Wilf, with that cheeky grin set in place.

Dear, sweet, loving Bob.

My darling, my love, my life, my Tricia, my other Susie, cradled in her arms.

I will be with you soon, my loves.

up
121 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, you've done it to me again

Another character that you made me care for and then killed off. Are you sure you're not related to Steven Moffat? Thanks so much for another wonderful story!

Shoulda known...

First day in ages I am in the full warpaint. Now have mascara cheeks.

Bugger you Steph, but nicely and in the most friendly way of cuss-tossing.

I am in awe, even though I knew it was coming ...

Thanks and Love

tmf's picture

Don't know what more I can say.

Big Big Hugs and Love tmf

Peace, Love Freedom, Happiness

Endings

That is it for Gerald's story. I wanted to get a sense of the shortening of timescales when such an illness strikes, and I hope it works. The final scene has been in my head, along with the final words, since I started. Thanks, all. Now just need to get working on the Kindle file

Saying goodbye

Andrea Lena's picture

is never easy, and the frustration of never knowing if enough was said or done makes it all the more painful, You've captured the urgency and along with it the wonder of realizing it's not what' has been left undone or unsaid, but the joy of what we CAN do and say in that all-too brief time we have been given. Moving painful and marvelous as always. Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Yes.

".. a sense of the shortening of timescales when such an illness strikes, and I hope it works."

It was perfect. Exactly right.

Michelle

We knew,

Podracer's picture

knew there would be tears, but still. At least it is at a wedding.
Well done Steph, on making it so surely Gerald personally telling the story.

"Reach for the sun."

Damn..........

D. Eden's picture

Really didn't need this today.

OK, so here I sit trying to keep my mascara from running (damned dumb thing buying non-waterproof mascara) thinking about whether or not I will be leaving this world a better place. I sincerely hope so.

I helped to bring three children into this world and to raise three wonderful young men, I helped to teach another group of wonderful young men the ways of the sailor or Marine, and I did my best to protect them all and bring them all home. And I like to think that I fought the good fight.

I have tried to be a good friend, a good teacher, and a good boss to those I work with - and to those I have simply encountered in life.

I know that I have hurt many people in this life, usually for what I like to think was the greater good - but not always. Sometimes out of stupidity, and sometimes out of anger. I will have much to answer for when my time comes around. But all in all, I would like to think that in some small way I have made the world a better place.

As for the rest, well, I will see you soon enough my friends. Save me a seat at the bar, and we'll have that dance I promised you all.

D

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Great Story

Absolutely a great story about the great men and women who fought and survived WWII. The weaving of a TG theme into the tale and the other LGBT details are spot on. I will cry when Gerald succumbs.
Edy

Edy

I Wish I Believed In Heaven

joannebarbarella's picture

For if anyone deserves a blessed afterlife it is our Gerald (Yes, I'm co-opting him). You did all the hard work in bringing him to life and telling his story but he will remain with me to the end of my life.....such a magnificent character and a true gentleman, as well as a gentle man.

There was no "The End" so dare we hope for the final chapter where the rifles are stacked in threes and the "Last Post" is played?

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this story. I may still have a few tears remaining to be shed.

Death comes to us all;

we know this but somehow, it still catches us unawares and we can never really prepare for it. Death's imminent approach is a time when many turn, or even return, to religion in what is for them, some essential coping process as the enormity of that event progressively invades their every living moment. That finality is the real test of one's atheism; to face death in all it's finality and still not seek the crutch that religion endeavours to supply.

The question of 'life-after-death' has to be a matter for each individual to address in there own way but I still consider it folly to believe that one's soul, -(if such an entity exists)- has to run some sort of spiritual gauntlet as described (without any shred of hard scientific evidence,) in it's own way by just about every faith on the planet. Where such as I find my self at odds with these religions (particularly the monotheist ones,) is when they use that spiritual gauntlet to frighten people into submission and subservience.

The emotional gauntlet caused by death's approach is enough to be dealing with whether it is one's own death or that of a dearly loved one. It is at this juncture that I part with religion.

I hope Gerald finds peace by whatever means best suits him.

Thanks for this wonderful story Steph.

xx

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

another fine story

I don't think ive ever shed so many tears over one story. I guess it makes us feel our mortality. you make it through war, lose a loved one.
I don't know I feel very deeply about this story. I'm not a war veteran but have buried two wives, a daughter, and a brother among others.
thank you cyclist
robert

001.JPG

Bless you!

I almost could not complete this episode because of the way my eyes watered -- and I always thought I was unemotional!
There has always been something about "A Longer War" which has kept me reading it after taking too long to discover. You have managed a true feeling of authenticity, with one of the nicest heroes of any story, someone who never lost his innocence and kindness.
Thank you, once again
Dave

Lost for words.

A great yarn, Thank you.

Robyn Adaire

Bob's words

Do your job.

You did that. You made me follow these wonderful lives and all the joys and tragedies.. and you made me feel Bob's other word:

Love

Thank you.

Thank you

A work I am quite proud of. Alas, a little different to much of the writing here.

A Longer War

joannebarbarella's picture

I have just re-read the whole story, courtesy of a lady named Winterwolf, who reminded me of it. I am profoundly grateful to her.

After bucket-loads of tears and quite a few smiles I can only say once again that it is the finest war story/biography that I have ever read. Nobody, but nobody, can bring to the page the humanity that you imbue your people with. They're not "characters", they are real, warm, breathing human beings. I don't think I ever met anybody like Gerald, although my father-in-law may have gone close, but he would never talk about his experiences at Gallipoli and on the Western Front. He had definitely seen the elephant.

My dad did his share in the Merchant Navy but those sailors were never "heroes". They were a bit like Gerald in that they just did their job, risking their lives every time they set sail, but their experiences were not as personal or as soul-wrenching as his unless they were torpedoed and became victims (actually my dad was torpedoed but the ship didn't sink).

It was not only Gerald who made your story live. I'll probably forget some but Susie gave him a second life and Bob, Wilf, Rodney, Maurice, Ernie, Matthew, Valerie and the full supporting cast were not cardboard cut-outs either. Each one was a fully-rounded personality.

This site should be proud that you posted here as I'm sure that this saga deserves top ranking with all the so-called block-busters that got marketed by the big boys. I don't know if you've published this but if you haven't you should.

Yes

Andrea Lena's picture

This story deserves a wider audience. It simply is that good!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

A Longer War: A Wonderful Read

Story and emotion, I laughed out loud, smiled, shivered in fear, and cried. Cried a lot.

Thank you.

Thank YOU

This is something I feel proud of as a work of fiction. I am under no illusions as to my talent-- I can tell a story, write a decent sentence, but I am neither Hemingway nor any other great writer. I had a story to tell, and I believe I got it across.

What I can do, I believe, is to feel for my characters, and that lets me make them as real as I can. Gerald is real to me, because I met him when I pulled him out of the Ouse in York at the end of the seventies.

I really felt for Gerald, and his comrades. I am so glad that came across in my writing.

You should be proud!

Erisian's picture

This story is incredibly heartfelt, your love for Gerald and his mates infuses every sentence and paragraph and carries true to the reader throughout. This is a wonderful work, worth re-reading time and again.

Thank you

Working on the next two. Plotlines getting complex again

A proper ending.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

This story was extraordinary from start to finish, with characters that lived and breathed and loved — such incredible love. The writing was exquisite — that must really be acknowledged— but pure craft is the least of this story. The ability to see each of these people, to bring them to life . . . that is your true gift. Thank you.

Emma

Thank you

For sticking with my favourite child.

Ah HA!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Got you to ID your favorite child!!!

Emma

Once Again I Wept

joannebarbarella's picture

I just read this story again, for the third time, and it loses none of its power to extract a deeply emotional response from me. All the people who inhabit it are flesh and blood. They are not Hollywood Heroes. They could be our neighbours.

I must pay a tribute to Steph (again) for bringing them to life, and I must pay a tribute to Gerald Barker and all his comrades and family and friends for being who they are.

This song is for all of you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhdFe3evXpk