A Longer War 11

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER 11
Bob was away for a few hours the next morning, and when he came back he was dragging a kitbag.

“Right, lads. There’s a lot been going on, so this is going to be a busy few days. Happen Ivan didn’t like the Jerries surrendering to us, and Jerry didn’t like to stop fighting Uncle Joe’s boys. They’ve sorted it now, but what we’ve got is a German government just outside Denmark. Being run by the bloke who was chief of the U-boats”

Bill spat, yet again. “Lovely company they keep, lads!”

Bob nodded. “Aye, so it is. Now, there’s all these Nazi chiefs and big nobs holed up there, and we are going to lift them before the Russians can get there. We’ve got a couple of troops of Honeys and some Daimlers, and I have scrounged these for us”

He tipped up the kit bag to reveal five helmets, the round ones issued to tank crews.

“Now, I know what I said…”

Ernie interrupted. “Aye, we remember. ‘Dump it, cut it off, throw it away, sleek as an otter gets you out before you burn!’”

Bob grinned. “You WERE listening, then! And there were me thinking you were having a bit of Egyptian P.T. Aye, I said all that, and I were right. We got out, didn’t we? Nothing to hang us up; no belts, no holsters, no tin lids. Remember that time Ginge shot that bastard in Belgium, and then couldn’t get out?”

A man arching his back in the snow, drumming his heels as his blood sprayed everything around him. The kick of the .45 in my hand. The ringing in my ears and the smell of cordite. Yes, I remembered. Bob was still talking.

“We will be pushing it on those autobahns, lads, and Ollie will bounce. That means you will, WILL, hit your heads. Nobody should be shooting at us, like, so we shouldn’t have to bail out, but I want everyone to arrive with the same amount of brains they left with. You’re excused, Bill”

Harry then spoke, for the first time in quite a while, I realised. “They got any gash boots anywhere, Bob?”

“Didn’t ask, Harry. Yours giving you gyp?”

Our driver looked bleak. “Not that, Bob. Just, well, they smell now. Can’t seem to get it out, somehow. Think I need to burn them”

He hadn’t been himself for days, had Harry. Whatever he had witnessed, whatever we had escaped, it had left a mark. He still came out with the jokes, just nowhere near as often, and I had noticed a sharper edge to his humour, a bleaker tone. There had been those three fresh and well-fed bodies at that camp. I really hoped those deaths had helped him get some demons out of his mind.

Mr Nolan was soon round.

“Mount up, boys. Bravo Eight will lead out for now, with the Yeomanry screening ahead. You will see large numbers of Jerries, and they are not to be fired on unless they are so incredibly stupid as to play games with us. The East Ridings will be behind you. It is about one hundred and eighty miles. If we can do that in a day, I will be rather gratified, but I suspect that will not in fact be possible. We shall do it as quick as we can, though. I have given my word, and I know I have your willingness and readiness for the task. REME will be with us, of course, and we have Pathé along for their own purposes. This one last push, and then we are going home. Do I have agreement?”

There was a shout of approval, but Harry muttered darkly “Still got bloody slitty-eyed bastards to fight, ain’t we?”

Didn’t I know it. It was a nightmare we all had, of finally getting through the slaughter in France and Belgium only to be packed off for Burma, or worse. Stick to what’s in hand for now, Gerald.

The Tiffies had finished on time, and for once we were treated to a real smile from Harry as he warmed up the engine. “Bloody hell, lads! Listen to her! Like bloody racing car!”

Bob grinned back. “Aye lad, but it were Jerry who started this race. In…Pole position”

We were still snorting at that one an hour later, as we finally set off up the incredible roads the Germans had built for themselves. God alone knows what speed Harry got up to, but Bob and I rode heads out, lids on and goggles down until I had a spasm of conscience.

“BOB!” I shouted over the roar.

“Aye?”

I pointed down into the turret. “Ernie’s turn!”

A truly gentle smile from him, as if to a favoured son who had just offered him something special, and a nod. I ducked down and gave the lad a prod, passing him my goggles. No words were said, just a quick lift of the eyebrows followed by a grin and a handshake. I tried to make myself comfortable in his little place, but the tank was jumping and vibrating fit to burst. An hour later, Ernie was back down, shouting at me. “You have to see this, Ginge!”

The German roads were really amazing things, with two separate roads for each route, each of two lanes with one road for traffic in each direction. These carriageways were separated by a wide central strip covered in grass, and after I struggled past Ernie I looked out to see field grey everywhere. German soldiers, still armed, were marching down the grass, what looked like ten abreast, and their column went on for miles. They didn’t exactly look happy, from what I could see, but they did look relieved. I prodded Bob.

“Ernie said I had to see this, and he were right!”

Bob laughed. “Not this!” he shouted. “Look behind!”

There were some Yank six-by-six wagons with us, carrying the East Riding boys, and those immediately behind us had doffed their tops, dropped their braces, and hung their naked backsides out over the side of the truck to face the Germans with a row of bare arses. Bob was chuckling happily, in the best mood I could remember.

“Bloody good job those Pathé boys aren’t here to film that!”

I felt a tug on my leg, and Ernie passed up his favourite bit of loot, a Leica. I duly recorded the events, as Harry later put it mordantly, for posterity.

In the end, we lost four tanks from Bravo Seven to mechanical failure, two of those being broken tracks, and it took us a day and a half. The terrain had got flatter and flatter the further north we went, but after we crossed a huge canal it started to get a little bit lumpier again. Mr Nolan had called us together again at that first night’s leaguer, and I was sure his sense of humour was getting as dark as Harry’s.

“Gentlemen, there are times when the reality of our daily life strives to outdo the works of our finest comedians. Jerry, in the form of Admiral Doenitz and General Jodl, has decided to, ahem, offer his services as a provisional government for what is now a defeated and occupied nation. All in the spirit of continuity and a steady hand at the tiller, it seems.”

“I hope he’s been told to fuck off, sir!”

“Thank you, Marshal, and I will take that entirely in the spirit in which you offered it. Jerry has indeed been told to fuck absolutely and completely off, and when we arrive we will be taking all of them into custody before a decision is made as to how exactly they are to fuck off. I anticipate a rope will be involved in most cases. This place is the last redoubt for their despicable little band, and that means that the civilians there are largely their families or other hangers-on. No fraternisation, gentlemen, none at all. You will remember Belsen, and understand what these vermin are and what they have done. It is delousing time for Flensburg. Oh yes: I do not believe they have been formally notified of our arrival. We start engines at first light. Any questions? Yes, Marshal?”

“Any chance of new kit catching up with us, sir? Need a change of boots”

The light was poor, but I am absolutely certain I caught the glint of a tear in our officer’s eye. His tone was gentle as he assured Harry he would do all he could to help, and I understood he wasn’t just talking about new boots. It wasn’t just our vehicles that were breaking down.

Off in the early dawn, and through the remnants of a town called Schleswig. It was a little hillier here, but it was gratifying to see that some attempt had been made to flatten things, probably by the RAF. Ollie was still running sweetly when we started out along a hog’s back ridge, which gave me the shivers at the thought of what well-sited AT guns would do to us, and then I had to look twice at one road sign still, bizarrely, in place. It read ‘Japland’ to my tired eyes, which brought back the thoughts of having to ship out again for somewhere hot and nasty, but it also read ‘Danmark’.

We pulled up at the top of a sloping road that led down to what was clearly the middle of the town, as the East Riding boys pushed through, and so we missed all the fun, but Mr Nolan was full of the tale later. All the nobs had turned out in their full fancy dress, all eagles and shiny boots, ready to discuss how they would ease a new administration into place, only to be marched off under arrest at bayonet point. It seemed we were going to miss all of the good bits.

That evening, sleeping in a billet in a house some Jerries had been moved out of, I heard the water running next door, and realised Harry was washing his hands again.

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another tale of World War 2

Thank you for writing this episodic story. Auschwitz, Belsen, and all the rest of those places of organized not-sanity toward anyone 'not like them'- and almost 70 years after that war is over, we *still* do similar things to anyone we deem sufficiently 'not like us'.

We must keep being reminded of what happens when you deem someone else 'not like us'.

In thanks for the reminder,
KR

Auschwitz

Herr Hoess will make a cameo shortly.

The birds

Maddy Bell's picture

don't sing at Bergen Belsen - its a sad place that I've visited twice. Two years ago I visited Buchenwald - a place that had me so upset I couldn't go inside any of the 'inmates' buildings.

I didn't go searching out either place but being nearby felt it a duty to go and pay my respects. I've seen the photographs, read the accounts and can understand how any first hand witness would feel - that discipline for the most part held is nearly as unbelievable as the acts themselves.

I've visited Schleswig and Flensburg, today they are both fairly sleepy provincial places. Not sure how your guys crossed the Ost/Nordsee canal, the railway climbs a long embankment to lift it high above the waters before entering a corkscrew descent into Rensdburg - spectacular engineering. One thing I'm not sure of is whether the route of the modern Autobahn 7 was actually built in 1945, I think perhaps a more westerly route from Neumunster up to the modern R77 road was in use as far as Schleswig then north but to the east of the modern road up to Flensburg and the border at Krusa. This wasn't a dual carriageway autobahn for all the route but a three lane road much of which is still in use although in places the surface has been replaced!

Great story - looking forward to Burma, if that's the right term (my grandfather was tank corp stationed in Asia until 1946 in Lee/Grants).

toodle pip

Mads


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Nord-Ostsee Kanal

I crossed it on ferries, of course, and at Rendsburg there is a transporter bridge, with the railway on top, which I hadn't heard of. I rode the canal in a day from Gluckstadt on the Elbe as far as Rendsburg, then continued on the next day through Schleswig and Jarplund to Flensburg. The road out of the last goes right past the local Hell's Angels clubhouse...

Bailey bridges were the tools of choice to cross the barrier. There is an unedited Pathe newsreel that shows the British soldiers in Flensburg, and in the middle of the footage, amongst various images of scout cars and Honeys (Stuart light tank in US service) there is a clear picture of a Comet, the successor to the Cromwell. I haven't had time to replace Bravo Seven's kit yet, so it will be rectified.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/flensburg-fiasco

I have known well only one inmate of the camps, and she never spoke of it. I have met another, and the subject never arose, though I could see his tattoo. I also knew a Russian woman who had been forced into German service to act as an interpreter for interrogation. The only things she ever said to me on the subject was "Some people say those camps never existed. They are liars. I know this. I was there"

We are finally at the end of things, as we now know, but for the servicemen of the time there remained Japan, and the deep fear that they would simply see more of the same but with different weather. People celebrated the end of the European war while Bill Slim's boys were still suffering. No wonder the 14th called itself 'The Forgotten Army'.

As I said at the start of this, I have taken some liberties but with no disrespect intended in any way.

You know me

There's a long way to go yet.

Never forget..

Never forget your humanity.

bev_1.jpg

The heart of this tale

That, Bev, is what is driving this one. I have a number of big issues, as usual in my work, that I want to try and air in this one. Some have been telegraphed, especially as at least one reader has worked out the destination, but others have had clues dropped.

There Were No "Good" Nazis

joannebarbarella's picture

Just as today there are similar cruel and barbaric people who behead those who are not quite of the same religion and there are those who can shoot down an airliner full of civilians, and there are those whose parents suffered under the Nazis killing the children of their enemies.

I am ashamed to say I live in a so-called civilised country that can treat refugees (oh, but let's call them illegal immigrants, so that they can be clearly seen to be in the wrong) as less than human.

Nothing much has changed in seventy years,

Joanne

Really?

> I am ashamed to say I live in a so-called civilised country that can treat refugees (oh, but let's call them illegal immigrants, so that they can be clearly seen to be in the wrong) as less than human.

I'm sad to hear that. Where do you live, Mexico?

Mexico's Probably Better

joannebarbarella's picture

No, I live in Australia. Where do you live, and is your country any better?

Joanne

Too bad that YouTube was not

Too bad that YouTube was not invented back then, we all could have seen the photos taken of the troops in the "Deuce and a Half" trucks showing the defeated and marching Germans what they thought of them.

Videos, or movies

Jamie Lee's picture

When I was younger, there was a program on TV about varies aspects of WWII. One of those programs showed troops entering a concentration camp (death camp).

The only thing that couldn't be conveyed was the odor of what was found. They filmed emaciated people of all ages, desiccated bodies beyond belief and count, rooms full of every article of clothing people brought with them, glasses, hair, whatever that could be taken from those people, it was there.

They filmed Germans loading bodies onto trucks and the dozers pushing hundreds of bodies into huge pits. They also showed the showers and, the ovens. And people have the gall to claim it didn't happen!

I think my dad spent his time during WWII in the South Pacific. I say I think because he never ever talked about what he did during the war. And I think he continued fighting the war in the form of PSTD until his death.

And none of this happened? Right, pull the other one, it's made of wood.

Others have feelings too.