Today's Parable - 2019 - 05 - 09 - An Unexpected Blessing

Printer-friendly version
"An Unexpected Blessing"

(c) 2019
Haylee V

Once upon a time, in a country far away, lived a poor vagrant named John. Now, John didn't have much -- just the tattered rags on his back, a well-worn tent, and an even more worn donkey, Gladys -- but he was content. His bed was usually the soft grasses of the field, or the hard, cobbled stones of the city streets. His friends were the various birds, rodents, and other vermin of the city and wildlands

Every morning, John would pack up his tent and load it on Gladys' back, then begin his daily scavaging runs of the city, ofthen finding odd uses for what others in the city considered mere junk. Some items he was able to sell or trade for coins, with which he would buy grain for his dear Gladys. Sometimes, he was even fortunate enough to earn enough to buy himself and Gladys a warm place to sleep and a decent meal.

One day, as he was resting by the castle gates during the heat of the day, a traveling noble happened by in his fancy chariot. When Gladys saw the huge orange wheels, she obviously mistook them for carrots, and took a huge bite out of the nearest one, breaking it off its axle and throwing the nobleman to the ground. This made the nobleman quite upset and embarassed, and he petitioned the constable to fine John for the damages.

At the trial, when the judge saw that John had no means to pay, he ordered John thrown into prison for a year (to work off his debt), and ordered all of his [very] meager posessions (including Gladys) turned over to the nobleman. In a smug tone, the nobleman snidely turned to John and remarked, "Maybe now, you and your kind will learn to respect those above you, and stay in the dumps where you belong. As for that beast, I have no choice but to care for the old bag (as is our law), but if I could, I'd..."

But John instead of returning with a snide remark of his own, merely bowed down before both the judge and the nobleman and thanked them both profusely.

"Often, have I struggled to provide adequately for Gladys. Now, though, I know she will have nuch food and decent bedding, as will I -- for at least a year, that is. I can't thank you enough for what you've done for me."

Moral:

"No adversity is to great to break a content and contrite spirit, nor is there any amount that will sate a greedy heart."

When one finds true contentment, and becomes truly thankful for the blessings he or she has been granted, NOTHING can stand in the way of his or her happiness.

up
63 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Delighted to see another of your parables

The most recent previous one was in 2017, and I was afraid that you had signed out!
Please keep them coming, but I accept that the inspiration needs to strike before putting digits to keyboards

I second the motion

another parable, yay!

DogSig.png

His only friend

Daphne Xu's picture

John will miss his only friend, sad to say. He might also discover that debtor's prison might be even worse than his present situation, with floggings and other horrors.

-- Daphne Xu