Webs Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version

The sudden drop in the cave’s path was finally cleared of rock. All parts of the floor that had fallen down into the room underneath were now stored in a pile above it. It had taken ten minutes to do in all, which, considering the tech they were using, was actually pretty quick. Still, Geisinger’s group was incredibly frustrated that the better tech hadn’t been released yet, even after all this time.

The sight lying on the lower ground was hideous. Antonio’s dead body was a mess of barely recognizable parts and organs, being clearly on its way to fully decaying. It left an awful stench as well, the kind that would make most want to gag. Surprisingly though, the bugs in the area hadn’t gotten to it yet, but they sure would soon if it was left in the open.

“Come on everyone, before the spiders get to it.” Geisinger said as he took out a body bag and opened it wide.

The four members of his group were particularly precise with their carrier cannons this time. They had to be, the bag’s opening didn’t give them much area to work with. Regardless, they were able to get most of what they could into the bag within about two minutes.

Geisinger closed the bag up and another worker went behind him to help carry it.

“How long will we have to walk with this thing?” They asked.

“Ninety minutes, I think.” He answered.

“Fucking hell.”

“Why did we even do this?” Someone else asked. “This person willingly came in here knowing it was dangerous. Why do we need to go through the hassle of retrieving his body? Hell, why do we even retrieve any of the bodies from victims? It’s too much trouble.”

Geisinger began the long walk back to the entrance with an exhale of stress. “Well, we had the ability to, and his family asked for us to do it. Their kid died, we should honor their request.”

“We shouldn’t give people that option, do they know how much work this is?”

“Look, I hate it too, but some things just have to be done.” He said. “If they want to bury something other than trapped air, we’ll allow them. It’s not pleasant, but at least they get some closure. At least they know for certain their kid is dead.”

“Still a waste of time.”

“You’re free to think that, but please consider what I’m trying to say.”

The worker gave out a very unconvincing “okay”.

Just as the group was leaving the area filled with spiders, all their communication devices started vibrating.

“Can someone get that?” Geisinger asked.

The group member leading the way back answered the call.

“Group one to Group two, what is it?” They asked.

“It’s Ben!” Stephen answered. “He was here and then he was just gone! He fell through the floor and now it’s closed up. We can’t find him!”

“You say he fell through the floor?”

“Yes.”

“Where are you?”

“We’re pretty far into the cave, ten feet below the entrance.”

“I’ll inform the other groups to begin a search party. Do you acknowledge?”

“Yes.”

“Group one out.”

They ended the call and immediately turned around.

“Ben fell into a trap. He’s somewhere below ten feet of the surface. His group can’t find him.”

“Shit!” Geisinger exclaimed. “Did you inform the other groups?”

“Doing so right now, captain.”

Geisinger winced but held back his anger, instead focusing on the dire situation at hand.

***

Ben’s eyes were locked onto the light just below the ceiling. It hadn’t moved, not yet at least, but it was going to. Soon, he was sure of it.

His whole body seemed to be paralyzed with fear. This had to be the exact same light that Antonio saw just seconds before his death. And just like him, Ben was absolutely helpless. He had no equipment, no weapons, no way to contact anyone, and no way to trap or repel the light. He just had himself, in his still cold and wet state.

Strong and fit as he may be, against this light, he was as weak and defenseless as anyone else.

The only thing Ben could do was stay as far away from it as possible.

Eventually, Ben saw the light move, just a hair, and he immediately gunned it back. Unfortunately, there wasn’t much ground left for him to cover, and within just fifteen seconds, he hit a dead end.

There was no exit in sight.

“Just my fucking luck.” He said, stressed and angry. Was this the end for him? Would he be doomed for the rest of his life to run from this light until he dies of dehydration or hypothermia? Whichever comes first?

No, he had to keep trying. He could not give up.

Ben quickly turned around and saw the light slowly approaching him. He could see he was about to be cornered by it, so he began running to the left of it.

The light almost touched his abdomen, but narrowly, he avoided it. He looked around the area he was in to see if there was anything at all he could do to try and escape, but alas, there was nothing. Nothing to climb, break, or crawl into. It was just an empty area with a deep pool of water.

“Wait a minute.” He thought. “Water.”

He had a big deep pool of water sitting right there with him. He could use it and possibly find an escape route. Internally he grew ecstatic. He had a chance!

But, then again… he couldn’t see anything under the water, and it was still at a dangerous temperature. He was in a pretty bad state already. He needed to get dry fast, but how could even try to dry himself with this light constantly up his ass?

The best thing he could do was hold out, keep dodging and avoiding the light until someone finds him.

He looked around at all the closed walls and chuckled grimly. “Find”, yeah right.

He turned back toward the water and contemplated his decision for a little longer. That extra contemplation was enough to convince him it was a terrible idea. He’d just get cornered by the light with no way to escape. He knew he wouldn’t be able to swim fast enough to get away. Going back into the water was probably the worst thing he could do right now.

But, what could he do?

He was trapped, with no way out. Doomed to constantly avoid a light that could kill him, or worse, until his death. What option did he really have?

He tried to think of anything he hadn’t before. What if someone else fell down that same trap? Would that help him? Probably not, they’d just be stuck in here alongside him. What if he tried breaking the walls? Would that work? It was a silly thing to even think about. It would be nothing more than a final act of desperation.

Is there any other possible action he could take?

Bowing his head, he thought over it. He thought about everything he had access to in this area, and how he could utilize it.

He thought back to the water, mainly about how vast and deep it was.

Maybe going in wasn’t such a bad idea.

He ran fast and dove into it. Once he went in, he made no effort to keep himself up. He simply let himself go under.

And he stayed under.

The first thing his mind went to was Jacqueline. Maybe, in another life, they really would’ve been able to be together, forever and for always.

Opening his mouth and taking the water into his mouth, he began to wonder if he made his mark on the world, or if he’d be remembered for anything. Was he good enough? Well, he was good enough to the people in his life, and that was all that mattered to him.

He just wished it didn’t have to end like this, with him violently choking and gasping for air that would never come.

The world began fading away from him, and for a brief moment he felt at peace.

Just before he fully lost consciousness, his body glowed with the light that reached him. Energy spread all throughout his very core, inside and out.

He didn’t notice.

up
62 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos