Christmas Concert-P12

Printer-friendly version

Christmas Concert
By Teek
December 2023

kids-group-trans.gif

Part 12

After a morning of rehearsal, the five kids went to lunch together. The kids were at one table and the adults at another. Most were leisurely eating until Sammie spoke up.

“Rehearsal is sooooo boring. I wish we could just play the music without all the stop and go.”

Marcus looked at Sammie and then at George, “We could. They gave us an hour for lunch. Let’s just finish quick, go back and have some fun before the rehearsals start up again.”

There was agreement around the table, so everyone started eating faster. George leaned over and told his Dad what they had in mind. By the time the kids were ready to go, the only adult ready was Marcus’ mom. She agreed to take the kids back so the others could finish their lunches.

Up on stage in the concert hall, Marcus turned to Sammie and Cindy, “Let’s go youngest to oldest, so Sammie you’re first. Start playing your favorite Christmas music and we will join in. A Christmas Jam session everyone.”

Sammie smiled, as she started to play Frosty the Snowman. The others joined in when they felt the groove.

“Now that was fun,” Sammie said when they finished. “Cindy, tag, you’re it.”

Cindy played Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, and Jessica played Linus And Lucy.

“That’s not exactly Christmas music,” Marcus commented after finishing Jessica’s piece.

“Yes, it is! Where do you know that piece from Marcus?” Jessica asked.

“She has a point Marcus,” George interjected. “It’s the main music connected with A Charlie Brown Christmas. That does, sort of, make it Christmas music. Okay, my turn.”

At this point, a few of the other Orchestra members had returned from lunch and asked if they could join in. When it was Marcus’ turn, there was about half the orchestra. He chose Jingle Bell Rock and set a fast pace for the piece.

Between the smiles and discussion when they finished, it was apparent that everyone was having fun. This was interrupted by a voice coming through some speakers, “Do that again, and I’ll join in this time.”

“Who was that,” Jessica asked?

“That was Larry up in the control booth,” said Mrs. Johnson, the summer camp woodwind instructor. “Let’s do as he says and see what he comes up with.”

So, Marcus started everyone off, with another round of Jingle Bell Rock. The main lights on the stage dimmed, and a light show went wild with Larry trying to synch a light show to the music. Up on the screen above the musicians, was Marcus rocking away to the musical piece. Occasionally, the scene on the screen would change to one of the other five kids.

“I guess someone is trying to take my job,” Mr. Frances chuckled as he came out on stage with a smile. “Let’s do it one more time. The kids do it just like they were, but I’ll conduct the rest of the orchestra.”

Mr. Francess looked over to Hannah on the side of the stage talking into a walkie talkie. When she stopped talking and nodded to Mr. Francess, he directed Marcus to begin. The rest of the afternoon went like that. Two to five of the kids would jam session a Christmas song, and Mr. Frances would conduct the orchestra to support.

It was a much faster and enjoyable afternoon for the two youngest. At three o’clock, Jessica, Cindy, and Sammie were told to head backstage, because they were done for the day. As they entered the break room, they could hear George and the brass section of the orchestra playing.

~o~O~o~

“You were right Hannah,” Mr. Frances said as they sat down and discussed the day and tomorrow’s rehearsal. “Jessica and George were giving their best how we’ve been practicing, but Marcus, Cindy, and Sammie did much better when we switched to what we did this afternoon. It’s more work for the orchestra and me if we go with this approach, but the music is better.”

“It makes sense,” Hannah said. “Playing with a group is still work for them. Since it’s easier for the orchestra to adapt to the kids than the kids to adapt to the orchestra, having them take the lead should produce better music. I am still amazed at that viral video. Those girls were feeding off each other and the crowd. They were even taking recommendations from the kids in the audience. If one of them didn’t know the music, they would still figure out a point where they could join in.”

“I have been a judge at that music camp for years, but when I saw Cindy play for the first time, it was so much better than anything I had ever heard adult flutists play. She wasn’t just playing a piece of music. She was expressing feelings and emotions through the music. If we have to alter how we traditionally do the Christmas Concert, it will be worth it to get Cindy and Sammie to share their emotions with the audience.”

Hannah thought for a moment, “Larry had fun today when the kids were doing that Jingle Bell Rock piece. Tomorrow, we need to get the lights set up for the Trans-Siberian Orchestra style piece you promised Marcus.”

“Okay, let’s start out with that one tomorrow after we do the bit with the girls opening presents and playing White Christmas,” Mr. Frances wrote some stuff on his tablet. “Have you talked with all the parents about extending rehearsals now that we are doing three shows?”

“That’s all coordinated. A few of the parents are going to take shifts babysitting, so last minute Christmas shopping can be done while the kids are rehearsing.”

The two discussed a new order for the concert, and possible ways to introduce the individual kids to the audience.

~o~O~o~

After about an hour at the Science Museum, Jessica’s Dad and Sammie’s Mom directed the three girls down to the Planetarium. Just before entering, they saw George and Marcus waiting for them.

The five kids watched the show and then explored parts of the museum. George was attached to Cindy and Marcus to Sammie, acting like big brothers helping them understand the different exhibits.

Mr. Dillinger tried to object when his son was spending so much time with Cindy, but the other parents shut him down quickly before the kids knew anything about it.

“Be careful of what you do and say. Preventing your son from being with Cindy could have some serious consequences,” Jessica’s Dad said. “Your son has God in his heart, and spreads that to those in his life. You raised him that way. You taught him that God will guide him through life. George has taken the principals that Jesus and the Lord brought to our world, and he applies them to his daily life. Are you going to now tell him that those lessons are wrong? If you stop him from supporting those that others tear down, then you risk him forever turning away from the Lord.”

Mr. Dillinger looked over at his son. George was treating Cindy just the same as he does his little sister.

“Cindy is not going to magically make your son transgender,” Jessica’s dad explained. “Jesus did not turn away from shunned individuals, and George doesn’t either. Matt, as a psychologist you understand better than anyone else here how fragile Cindy’s mental health is at the moment. George got Cindy through some tough times during summer camp, and he is now continuing that process. You and the Lord taught him James 4:12 ‘There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?’ George understands that passage of the bible very well. So well in fact, my Jessica came back from camp asking me about that passage. She heard George talking about it and wanted to know more.”

Mr. Dillinger took his eyes off his son and looked at Jessica’s Dad, “What?”

“My daughter came back from music camp asking me about bible verses. Because your son was spreading the word of God through his actions. We’re not exactly religious, but we’re not against religion either. We do go to church for Christmas and Easter. If you stop George from being kind and nice to Cindy because of your interpretation of a few passages in the Bible, I’m afraid my daughter will interpret that as God not wanting someone to be kind and nice to others. She will turn her back on God. So Matt, be careful what you say and do around these children. Your son is currently spreading God’s message through is actions and words. Don’t send the wrong message through your actions.”

“I . . . I . . .” Mr. Dillinger made eye contact with all the other parents.

Sammie’s Mom spoke up, “Have you watched the kids up on stage? Jessica may be the leader of the group, but George is who the three girls look to for guidance when things get rough. Don’t wreck this moment for the other kids. They need George and his abilities as a leader. You’ve raised a good son.”

Mr. Dillinger just watched the kids for a bit without saying a word.

~o~O~o~

When the girls were being tucked in that night, Sammie’s mom turned to Cindy, “Tomorrow is Saturday, your dad and sister will be coming up.”

Cindy grabbed her stuffed rabbit and turned away from Sammie and Joyce.

“What’s wrong Cindy,” Sammie asked. “Isn’t that great that Holly is coming?”

“Don’t you get it Sammie,” Cindy blurted out as a tear started down her face. “They’re coming to take me home. I’d don’t get to be in the concert.”

Joyce immediately grabbed Cindy into a hug, “Oh Cindy, that’s not true. They’re just coming up because it is the weekend. With the new rehearsal schedule, no one is going home this weekend. We’ll practice part of the day on Saturday and have Sunday off. On Monday we will be back to our regular schedule. You will be here for that. Then Monday after rehearsals, we get to go pick up the dresses for the concert.”

Cindy did not believe anything Joyce was saying. The past had taught her that bad things aways come after good times. The last few days had been absolutely wonderful, now it was time for the bad things to happen.

up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Loved Pigpen On The Double Bass

joannebarbarella's picture

I didn't know the Charlie Brown Christmas song. Thanks for educating me.

Enjoying

Enjoying your tale here Teek! Looking forward to more!

Sad

But understandable highway child of her age could be such a cynic.

Will there be a part 12?

Will there be a part 12?

Thx for another nice chapter^^

sorry

Teek's picture

I am sorry for the delay in Chapter 13. I have been dealing with some health issues. It is mostly written. I have one more scene I want to include in it that hasn't been written yet. This last weekend my health started to turn around for the better, so hopefully I will get chapter 13 done soon.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Take Your Time

joannebarbarella's picture

Your fans will not go away!

Even if we readers sometimes appear to think

that we are the most important people in the world I have, after extensive research in prehistoric history texts, come to the conclusion that we just possibly may be wrong.

Do whatever you need to fell better! That should be priority one.
I hope you'll have a complete recovery.