Only Sixteen Final Chapter

Printer-friendly version

How I wasn't chucked out of the cottage or had to return my engagement ring to Hannah, I’ll never know. Eventually, I was back to being my normal self. Whatever that was! .

Only Sixteen Final Chapter

By Susan Brown

I am not a doctor or solicitor, so please forgive me if the medical and legal stuff isn't accurate. Let's face it. It's only a story. If I was a doctor or solicitor, I would be much richer than I am now!

Previously...

‘Hello sleepyhead.’

‘Hi.’

‘Feel a bit better?’

‘Yes, now that I’m home and with you.’

‘My phone’s been running red hot with the messages about you. Even Ivy and Len sent a text.’

‘I didn’t even know that they could text.’

‘Don’t be nasty and ageist; everyone is worried about you.’

‘That was a bit insensitive, sorry.’

I yawned.

‘Not still sleepy are you? You could sleep for England.’

‘I know, it’s the painkillers, I think.’

‘And the stress?’

‘Hark at you, the almost Miss Nurse.’

She stroked my hair, which was rather nice.

‘When I’m up to it, we must go shopping,’ I said, looking at her pretty eyes.

‘What for?’

‘You gave me an engagement ring and I need to get one for you.’

‘That sounds nice. One with a rock that’s so big that my finger might have trouble carrying the weight?

‘Dream on!’

And now the story continues…

85

It took a while to get over my injuries, but get over them, I did. The day my leg plaster was removed was a day of celebration, not least because I was able to scratch the places that had, for far too long, been inaccessible to me. Knitting needles did not always reach the right spot!

It was late Spring by the time I was able to walk without any aid. The winter had been rather harsh and full of rain and the occasional flurry of snow. I must admit that I do not like being ill or injured and I was a bit trying sometimes.

How I wasn't chucked out of the cottage or had to return my engagement ring to Hannah, I’ll never know. Eventually, I was back to being my normal self. Whatever that was!

It was nice to be able to get around unaided. I was soon going about doing what I used to do, that is, going back to college and my work at the hospital, although I had to go to a physio to help with strengthening my leg muscles that had atrophied a bit due to lack of use and sadly, I still had a bit of a limp

Somehow, the death of my parents, although tragic and strangely upsetting, had enabled me to draw a line under my former life and I was now, finally, able to move on. I was now closer to my brother and sister than I had ever been before and I had seen them both and their lovely partners a few times.

The police made extensive enquiries about my father and concluded that he did in fact murder my mother, as previously mentioned.

Regarding his attempt to kill me, many years before, he had been an auto electrician and knew all about car wiring. He had rigged his car to explode on impact after the murder of me and Hannah. Somehow, he had obtained some plastic explosives and also there were signs of several containers suspected of containing petrol in the car. The consensus was that he was not of a safe mind. I think that anyone who wanted to kill himself this way was not all there. It was entirely possible, according to those who knew about these things, that the car might not have caught fire or exploded the way it did when it crashed into that lamppost.

Well, he got his wish and his car did explode. At least it was a quick end.

I never did find out how long he had been stalking me and also how he came to be waiting for me to come out of the hospital and cross that road…

Anyway, I had to move on and I looked forward to a happier, less fraught life, but wasn’t holding my breath on that score!

I had been seeing a trick-cyclist for my mental problems. Emily was a nice lady but was very strong on asking me how I felt about this, that and the other, without, I thought, really getting to the bottom of my troubles. After our sessions though, I did feel like I had had my brain removed, given a wash and tumble dry and then replaced back into my somewhat confused head. It appeared that I was suffering from PTSD, although I had always erroneously thought that that was a thing that only people in the armed forces or police would suffer from. Being a future (I hoped) doctor, I investigated the matter more closely and I learned that anyone who had traumatic experiences could have those horrible symptoms and it looked like I had a lot to learn!

I suppose my sessions with Emily did help somewhat, as my horrible dreams seemed to get less and less and I gradually stopped blaming myself for everything that had happened, illogical though that was.

Anyway, enough of that gloom and doom. I was alive and relatively well. I couldn't go running yet as the doctors said that I had to build up my strength before putting such a strain on my newly healed leg.

What I did do, with medical permission, was start using my bike again, as the weather was improving nicely after a rather severe and wet winter. I managed to drag a protesting Hannah with me on her bone shaker of a bike on some of my rides.

In the end, Hannah started enjoying our outings and actually bought a nice new bike. It was all bells and whistles and with several hundred gears so, she said, that she could get up the brutal Cornish hills without too much strain and avoid the inevitable heart attack.

Such a drama queen!

We gradually went further afield, and late one afternoon, after riding along several long and winding, narrow lanes, we found ourselves at my favourite beach. I hadn't visited there since the previous summer; which seemed like a lifetime ago, with all that had happened to me. We parked our bikes behind the small wooden cafe and then, hand in hand, we walked down the soft sandy beach with our shoes off. It was a warm, almost summerlike day, with very little breeze. I loved the way the warm sand oozed through my toes.

Overhead were some rather noisy seagulls. Luckily, we weren’t eating ice creams and therefore were reasonably safe from any dive-bombing kamikaze birds.

Hannah had been on that beach before but only when she was a little girl. I said to her that she wasn’t much bigger now and that set us off as she chased me along the beach with me screaming and her threatening me with a soaking!

As we raced along the sandy shore, the sun began its slow descent, casting a warm golden glow across the horizon, reflecting its warm light against the light fluffy clouds. The beach was bathed in a magical light that intensified the vibrant hues of the sea and the sky.

Our playful chase eventually led us to a more secluded part of the beach where the sand was softer beneath our feet. Hannah, with a mischievous glint in her eye, suddenly stopped and bent down to pick up a handful of wet sand. Before I could react, she hurled it at me, and a playful sand fight erupted between us. I think that our screams must have been heard in the church at the top of the hill, a good half a mile away!

The seagulls overhead seemed to be spectators to our impromptu battle, their raucous calls adding to the somewhat lively atmosphere. As the sun dipped lower, casting long shadows, we decided to take a break and sat down on the beach, catching our breath.

I just loved that form of exercise although my leg ached a little for some reason!

With the gentle lull of the waves as our background music, Hannah recalled the visits to this beach as a little child, painting a vivid picture for me of what it had been like. I envied her a bit and would have loved to have been there, with loving parents to dote over me but I was there with her now and thanked my lucky stars for my good fortune.

The tranquillity of the moment was interrupted by the distant sound of a little boy shouting to his mummy and demanding, with menaces, an ice cream or else... We exchanged mischievous grins, remembering the earlier mention of avoiding the dive-bombing seagulls during a possible ice cream indulgence. Without speaking, we succumbed to the temptation and decided to venture toward the café at the top of the beach.

The beach was now aglow with the warm hues of the setting sun, creating a picturesque scene as we strolled hand in hand towards the cafe. The ice cream lady had an array of flavours for us to choose from, making my mouth water in anticipation. I eventually chose chocolate mint and Hannah a strawberry one and with cones in hand, we resumed our walk along the shoreline, licking at the slightly melting ice cream and watching out for the seagulls on a deadly mission to deprive us and anyone else of the goodies.

Our laughter and the occasional squawks of seagulls echoed into the evening. The beach, now bathed in twilight, took on a romantic aura. We found a spot to sit and watched the sun slowly dip towards the horizon, painting the sky with hues of orange, pink, and purple.

As the sun set, we realized that this impromptu beach afternoon had turned into a cherished memory, just like the memories that Hannah had as a child on that very beach. I hadn't been lucky enough to have many good times as a child but I was thankful that I had at least a chance of making new memories now that I was with the girl and family that I loved.

With the soothing sound of the waves as our lullaby, we leaned against each other, grateful for the simple joy of each other's company and the beauty surrounding us. We kissed and hugged each other and then, reluctantly made our way back to our bikes as we wanted to get back before it got truly dark.

86

I woke up one morning and stretched. Unusually, Hannah wasn’t lying next to me snoring her head off!

As I rubbed my eyes and then glanced at the clock, I saw that it was nearly 9 o’clock! No wonder Hannah was up, she liked to have breakfast earlyish.

I had been working late at the hospital the previous night, covering for a girl who had gone down with Covid. It was still quite common but not so deadly and I, being something of an angel (sic), agreed to cover for her. I had to get a taxi back home as I didn’t want Mum or Dad to have to come and get me.

As I got up and walked over to the window, I yawned hugely, scratched my bottom through my nightie and saw that it was a lovely day.

Something was nagging at me and I couldn’t, in my sleepy state, work out what it was.

Then I got it!

It was my seventeenth birthday!

Hannah had been dropping hints about a surprise celebration for weeks, and the anticipation had slowly been building up. I turned back towards my bed and noticed a note from Hannah,

Happy Birthday!
Get up quickly you lazy cow. I have a special day planned. Have a shower but don’t bother washing your hair as there’s no point. Oh, and don’t go overboard with the makeup.
Love and lots of kisses.
H
xxx

I was intrigued about that note and what it all meant, but, for once did as I was told.

With some excitement, I went into the bathroom, stripped off my nightie and had a quick shower, but put on my shower cap to keep my increasingly long hair dry.

As the water cascaded down my body, I noticed how feminine my body was becoming. My breasts were now quite prominent, almost, I guessed, maybe 32B now? I would have to have a proper measure and fitting very soon and some new, better-fitting bras. I was so pleased that the shape of my body could not be mistaken for a boy. Only the unwanted appendage between my legs betrayed that I was not as feminine as I would like to be and I sincerely hoped that would be sorted out as soon as humanly possible.

After drying myself off, I put my robe back on and went back into the bedroom. As it looked like it was going to be a hot day, I put on one of my favourite dresses, a lemon-coloured sun dress. I then slipped on some strappy sandals, brushed through my hair and then, remembering what Hannah had said in that cryptic note, I applied just a little lippy. I would decide later what makeup I would wear, depending on what I was going to do that day. I had a feeling that Hannah had more than a few plans for me. What those plans were, I had no idea!

Heading into the kitchen, I was greeted by some balloons, streamers, and a banner on the wall, proclaiming:


Happy birthday Emma.

The table was set with a delicious breakfast that Mum had prepared – eggs and bacon, my favourite pancakes, fresh fruit, and a birthday cake with candles shaped like the number 17. A bit early for cake, but what the hell!

‘Ooh!’ I exclaimed at the sight of it all. I then hugged first Mum, then a grinning Dad and finally my Hannah, who looked very pleased with herself.

After a delish breakfast, Hannah handed me a beautifully wrapped gift. Opening it, I discovered a custom-made silver heart necklace that instantly brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't believe the thought and care Hannah had put into such a meaningful present. Sometimes she can be such a nice, caring person and I love her for it.

Mum then handed me a silver-wrapped box with a small pink ribbon on top.

‘Thanks Mum and Dad. What is it?’

‘Open it and see,’ said Dad, smiling that lovely smile that he has.

‘I know what it is,’ said Hannah.

‘Be quiet Hannah,’ scolded Mum, ‘let her open it and see.’

Hannah poked her tongue out and I giggled as I carefully removed the pretty wrapper.

It was an Apple watch!

‘You can use it when exercising and it will go well with your iPhone,’ said Dad.

‘Do you like it?’ asked Mum.

‘Like it? I love it!’ I replied as I went over and hugged Mum and Dad.

This was turning out to be a very special day. I had never had a birthday like this in the whole of my life and I was determined to enjoy every minute of it!

87

My day continued with a surprise spa experience in Penzance, which was exactly what I needed as things had been, to say the least, a little difficult for me in the previous twelve months! Hannah had thought of everything, including massages, facials, and a jacuzzi.

Mum and Dad had dropped us off at the spa and then went to do their own thing. We would either catch a bus or a taxi back home later.

After that wonderful experience at the posh spa where we were pampered to within an inch of our lives and left my body feeling all tingly and refreshed and relaxed at the same time, I wondered what else Hannah had in store for me.

‘Hair, she said.

‘What about it?’

It looks like a bird’s nest.’

‘It does not!’

So, we went to our favourite hair salon on a pre-booked appointment which I knew nothing about. I was able to finally have my hair extensions removed as my natural hair was now long enough for me not to need them. I also had a makeover, something that the salon was famous for. Sharon worked her magic on me and when she had finished, I looked in the mirror and gasped.

I just loved my hair now and the way it had been cut. It was parted neatly in the middle and shaped my face nicely, falling to just above my shoulders. I had also had it lightened slightly and I just loved the soft blond colour. My makeup looked awesome and I loved the smoky eye look. My eyelashes looked lovely and full and my skin looked slightly tanned and healthy and my lips looked somehow fuller and quite glossy. Overall, my makeover gave me a nice new look and made me look slightly older and maybe a bit more sophisticated – well that’s what I thought anyway.

‘Thank you, Sharon!’ I said enthusiastically.

‘It’s my pleasure love, come back in a month to tidy things up.’

‘I will!’

Of course, Hannah had a trim, tidy-up and makeover as well and she looked more beautiful if that was possible.

We said nice things to each other about how we looked as we walked down the busy road hand in hand, oblivious to anyone else.

We had lunch in Penzance down by the harbour in a nice restaurant called The Barbican Bistro. I had a chicken salad and Hannah, an enormous burger and chips.

The chips looked so nice that I pinched a few!

‘So,’ I asked as I finished my low-calorie (not) knickerbocker glory, ‘what next?’

‘Nails,’ she said.

‘What about them,’ I asked as I glanced at them and frowned slightly.

‘Look at them, you’ve started biting them again. You have nails that would look okay on a brick layer’

‘Charming! Anyway, I can’t help it; I've chewed my nails ever since I was a little, erm, boy?’

We were walking down the High Street by now.

She stopped suddenly and looked me in the eye.

‘Honey, never in a million years were you ever a boy.’

I sighed.

‘I know, but when you’ve had to live, pretending to be one for as long as I have, it’s difficult, you know?’

She kissed me gently on the lips just as an old lady was passing us.

‘Tut, tut,’ she said, shaking her head, ‘what’s the world coming to?’

We looked at each other and had a giggling fit.

So, we went to a nail salon I had never been to called I-Glow.

The girl took one look at my nails and went a bit pale. I think that she might have fainted with shock if she hadn’t been sitting down!

Anyway, she recovered herself admirably and asked what I wanted.

I helpfully said that I didn’t know and after a bit of toing and froing, I agreed to have some short gel extensions. I couldn’t have my nails too long because of my hospital work.

After my nails had been beautified, they were in a lovely, shiny shade of pink coral without any hint of their previous piteous state. I even had a pedicure of the same colour and I loved the way my toes looked in my sandals.

At least I hadn’t bitten my toenails!

Of course, Hannah had the same treatment as me and the results were gorgeous. I just hoped when her birthday came around in the next month, we could have similar experiences and I certainly wouldn’t be slow to suggest it!

We then went to a coffee shop and had erm, coffee; a cappuccino for me and a latte for Hannah.

My phone had pinged several times during the day and there were several Happy Birthdays from my friends. It was so nice that I had so many friends now. I was looking forward to setting up my brand-new Apple Watch when I had the time and then I wouldn’t have to search in the bottom of my bag to read my messages.

I hadn’t seen Megan or the twins for a few days and I was looking forward at some point, to doing a catch-up with them and showing them my new, Mark 2 look.

As we sat there, sipping our drinks, Hannah kept glancing at her watch.

‘What?’ I asked as she looked for the third time in a few minutes.

‘What?’ she said.

‘Why do you keep looking at your watch? Getting bored?’

‘Erm, no, just wondering about the bus situation.’

She pulled out her phone and looked at it, frowning.

It was now getting a bit late and a lot of the shops would be closing soon.

‘When’s the last bus then?’

‘Erm, I don’t know. I think that we should order a taxi. I think Mum’s got something special for tea.’

‘Cornish pasty followed by scones jam and clotted cream?’

‘Probably!’

‘Sounds good, mind you, I’m a bit full after that lunch!’

The taxi came and we were soon on our way home.

When we arrived. I soon found myself back in the kitchen followed by Hannah.

Mum was there sitting at the table, thumbing through a magazine. She looked up as we came in and smiled.

‘Did you have a nice time girls?’

‘Yes, great.’ I replied enthusiastically.

‘You look really nice Emma and I love your hair.’

‘What about me Mum?’ Asked Hannah, slightly petulantly.

‘You too Hannah, of course, but this is The Birthday Girls’ Day, so we have to be extra nice to her.’

‘I have been extra nice. We had a great time, didn’t we Em?’

‘Yes, it’s been lovely.’

I decided to change the subject. I hadn’t noticed any cookery-type smells.

‘Erm, Mum, what’s for tea?’

‘Well, it’s only half past four, but you need to get ready as we are going out for dinner tonight.’

‘No pasty and chips?’

‘No dear.’

‘Or scones jam and cream for afters?’

‘Who told you that?’ she asked.

I pointed at Hannah who pretended to look innocent and failing miserably.

‘No dear, as I say, we are going out to dinner and you have just under two hours to get ready. you might want to put something nice on.'

'Only two hours, it's not enough time!'

'Yes it is, you only have to change your clothes, you’ve just had a makeover and don’t need to do anything with your hair.’

‘Oh yeah, I forgot that.’
‘It’s your age,’ said Hannah knowingly. ‘When you get to your advanced age, you start forgetting things!’

‘Flaming cheek!’

I chased her out of the kitchen and up the stairs, leaving Mum's laughter behind. It was only the fact that I didn't want to mess with my hair and makeup that I didn’t do nasty things to her.

88

We all piled into a taxi. I understood that Mum and Dad wanted to have a few drinks and obviously didn’t want to drive back from wherever we were going.

Everyone was being very tight-lipped about our destination.

I had tried to be sneaky earlier whilst Hannah was having a shower. I texted Megan and the twins to see if they knew anything but I hadn't heard anything; except that Megan said that she was a bit busy with her brand spanking new boyfriend and they were going out to the cinema and she would contact me the next day with all the gory details.

She said that she was looking forward to a mega snog-fest in the back stalls and I texted back that that was far too much information!

So, it looks like it‘s just me and the family tonight, I thought.

A pity that, as I hadn't ever had a party-type thing; this just looked like a meal out, all be it a nice one, hopefully.

I had been to other birthday parties when I was much younger, well a few anyway. Anne had a couple as we were growing up and I was allowed to attend under sufferance. I remember, even when I was that young, that I was a bit envious of the girls at the party and the fact that they were able to wear pretty frocks and I only wore boring, obviously not pretty boy's clothes.

Anyway, enough of that negativity. I mentally slapped my face with a wet kipper and pulled myself together. This was a day of fun and frivolity and not doom and gloom. I was determined to have a good time with the people that I loved the most, except my brother and sister of course.

So, there I was in the cab whisking downhill with everyone around me saying absolutely nothing. I even whispered to Hannah that I would do naughty things to her that night in bed if she told me where we were going.

She nearly caved in at that promise from me, but she eventually shook her head and I had to accept my fate and just wait and see.

I was dressed in my LBD with black tights and lovely black, slightly high heels. I wore the necklace that Hannah had given me and I felt like a million dollars or £787575.00 at the current rate of exchange.

We ended up on the quay. The taxi went to the end of the quay and stopped outside The Quayside Restaurant.

I had never been there before. I had been told that it was the best restaurant in our area and it had a very good, if pricey reputation.

We all got out.

‘Are we eating here?’ I asked.

‘Yes Dear,’ said Mum.

‘You go in first Emma; I need to speak to your dad and Hannah.’

‘Oh, okay; what name shall I say booked a table?’
‘Your dad.’

I walked in and to my left was a small room where a waitress type was standing.

‘Can I take your jacket, Miss?’

‘Yes thanks,’ I replied.

It wasn’t that cold but still, it might be cold later, so that’s why we brought jackets and coats.

I looked behind me, but the family was still outside. I wondered what was keeping them.

I shrugged and then walked over to the door leading into the restaurant and pushed the door open.

‘HAPPY BIRTHDAY!’

I stood there and blinked.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

There, in front of me was everyone!

Mum, Dad, Hannah, Anne, Tommy and their partners, the twins and their partners, Megan and who I took to be her new dishy boyfriend. Even Anthonia was there. There were also friends from college and the hospital…

I was overwhelmed.

There was a huge banner on the back wall saying Happy Birthday Emma!

Then, to cap it all, everyone sang;

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday, dear Emma,
Happy birthday to you.

Of course, I cried, I was a girl and that’s what we girls do in that situation.

In a daze, I was led to a table by Hannah with everyone congratulating me and patting me on the back. She held onto my hand as I thought that I might fall otherwise, I was in such a daze.

Thinking back, I think that it was one of the best times of my life. I kissed more people that night than I had ever done before and more than once I had to go to the toilets to repair my makeup.

Hannah had arranged it all with the help of Mum and Dad and had actually booked the whole restaurant. the food was wonderful, as was the company. How they managed to get all those people to come, I would never know, but they were all there, all the people I cared for.

The night reached its peak when Hannah revealed that she had arranged for a live performance by one of my favourite local musicians, Laura Hawke and her band. The music echoed through the venue, creating an intimate and magical setting. Dancing and laughing with the people I cherished most, I couldn't help but reflect on the incredible journey of self-discovery and acceptance I had experienced, thanks in no small part to the unwavering support of Hannah and my new Mum and Dad, who I loved more than life itself.

As my birthday celebration came to an end, I felt a deep sense of love and gratitude for the unforgettable seventeenth birthday surprises that I had had that day. The day wasn't just about the party and gifts, it was a celebration of acceptance, love, and the beautiful connection we all shared.

89

That night, in bed, after a rather passionate and extremely pleasurable time, I lay in the arms of Hannah and I could feel her soft breath on my face as she slept peacefully. The curtains were drawn back and I could see the stars twinkling outside and the waxing moon that bathed the bedroom in a soft light.

I thought of all the good things and some of the bad things that had happened to me in that fateful year. On my sixteenth birthday, I wasn't happy and was in a place where I had no chance of happiness, pretending to be a boy when, to me, I had always been a girl. I was living in a house that had no love in it and would never have.

Being sixteen and able to legally do so, I had decided to leave what I considered to be a house of horror and with the help of my dear departed darling grandmother, I was able to up sticks and go and live in the wonderful village in Cornwall.

There, I found love and happiness and I could look forward to a future that was bright and exciting, very lucky in the fact that I had no financial problems that many other students experienced.

I had new parents and was engaged to a girl who loved me as much as I loved her.

I had reconnected with my brother and sister and found that they had also suffered under the tyranny of our parents, all be it in a different way to me.

I had found friends in the village, especially Megan and the twins and also some at college and the hospital. I was amazed at the amount of people at the party – I didn’t think I was that popular!

I was now only a year away from when I could have the surgery to finish my journey into being the best female I could be. I know that I could never bear children and that was sad, but many women couldn’t either, so I would be content with what could be and not pine over what was not possible.

One day, Hannah and I would marry; I was convinced of that. Then, we might be able to adopt several children. I liked the idea of a large family but realised that there would be a lot of hoops to go through before we could ever be considered for even one child.

All this was in the future though. For now, I would enjoy the present.

Of course, now I wasn’t only sixteen but seventeen. I would, with the help of Dad go and look at a car that I had seen at a local car showroom in Penzance that I had been lusting after. It was a racing green Mini and in mint condition. I was to take driving lessons and hoped that I would soon be able to go everywhere without the use of buses, taxis and having to rely on parents.

So, I was seventeen, almost an adult, able to do nearly what I liked, when I liked, within the law and reason, of course!

I wondered what would happen before I was eighteen, but I would have to wait and see. All I did know was that I was going to do my best to enjoy my new life with the people I loved.

With that thought, I kissed Hannah gently on the cheek and turned over. Hannah stirred slightly and then she turned over too, spooning into my back with her hand covering my breast; our two naked bodies, almost as one.

I sighed with happiness and slowly went into dreamland.

THE END

Please leave comments and let me know if you liked this story. Oh, and if you can, please do the kudo-thingie... thanks! ~Sue

up
223 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

the end

lisa charlene's picture

“Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say goodnight till it be morrow.”
― Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet. All good things must come to an end and this was a good thing. Great story thank you for posting it and sharing with us

Wow...

Lucy Perkins's picture

I have loved this story, so it is with a little regret that I see it coming to an end.
But goodness,Sue, Thank you for a wonderful journey, which has had it all, drama, love and lots of laughter.
I loved the "surprise" birthday party and the day on the beach making memories. That rang so very very true.
I look forward to coming back to this story and rereading it, as I love to do with all my favourites...ok, so I'm a girl. It's what we do...
Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Thank you

Another wonderful story from you. Thank you.

Arwen

Happily Ever After

joannebarbarella's picture

You're only sixteen once and then its gone. Here I am wishing Emma a happy life from now on.

I loved it

It's probably going to be unrealistic of me to say, but I feel like this story is just a retelling of what someone's actual life was like. I hope all these stories are just biographies, I wish I could have a life this fortunate. Having all these people in your life is so damn lovely and I wish everyone could have this in their life.

I think what shook me the most was how the appearance of Emma was surprisingly similar to my own, I thought she had gotten a more done than I ever could have when she transitioned. So I guess this story also taught me inadvertently to not be as hard on myself. If this girl is looking completely female and has everything she needs, then maybe I do to with what I've got.

I think the biggest message this story has is to fight for your life and what you want. it's a lesson all transition stories tell but Emma was fighting from the moment she took the nuclear option and left home. Don't ever give up on what you want, don't ever regret what you've done. Every single path is your own path mixed into one as you can always do whatever you want whenever you want. So keep going and make life better for yourself. Things always get better as long as your strive for them to be.

Thank you for writing such a wonderful story.

Brilliant

Brilliant story, just the right mix of humor, cuteness and drama. Thanks for another great read. Cheers, Kiwi