Nightmare

Printer-friendly version


Nightmare

by
Susan Brown

I woke up screaming and crying my eyes out.

Before I knew it, I was being hugged.

Even before I opened my eyes, I knew that it was my mother hugging me. She had that lovely ‘Mum’ smell, a trace of perfume and that indefinable trace of something else that was unique to Mum.

‘What is it honey?’

I pulled myself together, just a bit.

‘I…I dreamed that I…I was a b…boy and I was being picked on at school and laughed at by a load of screaming kids. Someone pulled down my trousers and I was laughed at because I was wearing pink panties.’

I opened my eyes then and looked down at myself, relieved to see that I was wearing a nightie and not hateful, scratchy, boys pyjamas.

Realising that it was just a nasty nightmare, I sighed. I hated that type of horrible dream…

Mum pulled away from me and looked at me more closely. She was frowning.

‘David, why are you wearing a nightdress and what is wrong with being a boy? Where did you get that nightie and why do you persist in this nonsense that you are a girl. You know that your Dad will beat the hell out of you when he gets home from the pub if you dress like that. Don’t you remember the last time? You still have the welts on your back. You must stop this nonsense. Take that damn thing off and get into your pyjamas and I won't tell on you. Do it again and I’ll have to tell him.’

I looked at her in horror. This wasn’t like my lovely mum. I wasn’t a boy. I was a girl and I had always been a girl for as long as I could tell the difference.

She stood up, leaning over me.

‘Do as you are told or suffer the consequences.’

I was immobile. I couldn't move.

She looked angry, her lovely face contorted into something ugly.

She raised her hand and I could see that she was going to hit me.

Shutting my eyes, I waited for the inevitable.

I felt the blow…

I screamed.

Opening my eyes, I realised that I was on the floor. I was crying and shivered as I lay there. It was dark but I could see a crack from under my bedroom door as a light went on in the hall.

My heart was in my mouth as the door suddenly opened and there was my father and behind him, Mum. Both were standing in the doorway.

The light was turned on and I blinked through my tears as my eyes became accustomed to the light.
They rushed over and I cowered away from them.

I was engulfed…in hugs and cuddles.

‘Oh honey, not again,’ said Mum, ‘we are going to have to see Dr Michaels about this. It’s the second time this week. Was it the same one?’

I nodded, unable to speak. They continued to hug me and then Daddy picked me up and put me back into bed.
He looked at me and then pushed the damp strands of long hair away from my face.

‘Listen Emma, it was just a nightmare. You are a lovely girl although you were born a boy, you are now and always will be our wonderful daughter. We won't let anyone harm you. The school is very understanding and you have lots of friends. Those few who don’t accept you are stupid and ignorant and not worth the trouble of worrying about.’

I smiled weakly through my tears.

‘Listen to Daddy honey, what he says is true. Now go back to sleep. Remember we are going shopping tomorrow to get your birthday party dress.’

She wiped my tears away with a tissue and then after a good night kiss from both of them, they left me to my dreams and hopefully not my nightmares.

THE END
up
173 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Short but very moving..

Lucy Perkins's picture

I loved the idea of a dream within a dream, a and the change from the (all too frequently true nightmare) to the loving and accepting parents.
Thanks Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

very moving

hugs!

DogSig.png

Nightmare, still has...

Emma wondering was it all just a nightmare or did her mother hit her? Think back does daddy go to the pub and come back angry. How about Mom?
Is there a waking nightmare?

Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Waking up in a nightmare

Jamie Lee's picture

There is still fear in her mind that her parents will change their minds and force her to be the boy born to them.

Waking up in a nightmare only to discover it to is a nightmare is frightening.

Lucky girl to have loving parents who want the best for her and will protect her. And the often least likely to understand, the school. This is a very lucky girl to be sure.

Others have feelings too.

Night mare

To bad real life is not like that