Complicit in a Lie Revisited Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version

Complicit In a Lie
Revisited Chapter 6

By Jamie Lee

Author's Note: When I first wrote Complicit In a Lie, I had no thoughts, or ideas, to write a sequel. But thanks to a few readers, who asked about a sequel, ideas formed that made writing this sequel possible. It is necessary to have read Complicit In a Lie to understand why Charles is now with Jane, who the boy arriving in Kingston is and how he's involved in Charles' Court case. And to understand where Mr. Corporate, George Strom, fits into this story. This story starts off after Charles says, "When do we start," in Complicit in a Lie. So if you haven't read Complicit In a Lie, the beginning of this story won't make any sense. Hint hint!

Chapter 6

To the four boys, Charlotte's stance meant nothing, they just saw a pretty girl standing in front of them. Charlotte's feet were close together, but not heel touching heel. Her hands were hanging down in front of her, one palm against her body and the other palm on top of the other hand. Her face expressionless, unreadable by the four boys.

Charlotte saw the two Mall Security guards just across the way, and decided to let them know she needed help. "Excuse me, but you're blocking my way. Kindly move out of the way so I can continue my shopping." She already knew by saying this, one of two things would happen.

Either they'd move and let her pass, or act like the jackasses they were. They chose the jackass route, as one boy said, "Now why would we want to get out of the way of such a pretty girl like you? We came to find out if you want to have some fun with us?"

Charlotte smirked, a bad sign with Charlotte, before telling the moron, "To answer the question you asked, because you might end up in the hospital. As to your suggestion, I'll decline, thank you. Now, please move out of my way." She had raised her voice this time when asking the boys to move, which attracted the attention of the Security Guards. The guards didn't start walking her way until the boy asking her the question made the mistake of trying to stroke Charlotte's cheek. Everyone in the vicinity could hear the boy screaming, as Charlotte did to him as she'd done to Sandy. And it was only her word to Jane that kept the boy from needing a cast on his left arm.

"Are you having trouble, miss," one of the security guards asked, as the two were now standing behind the three boys still standing.

"Yes I am, sir. It seems these four have a problem moving out of my way. And the boy you see kneeling made the mistake of trying to touch me. I'm just explaining to him that it isn't polite to touch a girl unless he's invited to do so."

The same guard said, "Ah, I see, miss. That's quite an effective explanation, I've used it a few times myself. If your explanation is concluded, maybe we can be more explicit in our explanation, so you don't have any more trouble?" Unknown to the boys, the same guard gave Charlotte a head nod, indicating she'd done a nice job controlling the boy without actually hurting him. Charlotte released the boy's hand, then took a step back, assuming her ready stance again.

People can be stupid in all sorts of ways, and the boy Charlotte had made to kneel was no exception. Instead of getting the message Charlotte gave him by controlling her arm as she bent his hand backward, when he got up off the floor he stupidly tried to punch Charlotte for what she'd done to him. Unfortunately, both Security Guards were standing behind the other three boys, which blocked them from the boy who suddenly found himself put to sleep, as Charlotte blocked his punch and administered a more effective one to the boy. He was actually asleep before he hit the floor with a thud. The three boys and the two Security Guards actually followed the boy as he fell to the floor, but when they looked up at Charlotte she was again standing in her ready stance. Giving no hint that anything had just happened.

"All right, you three, get over here out of the way," the second guard told the other three boys. The guard who'd been speaking moved to the fallen boy to make sure he was not badly hurt. When he saw the boy was all right, he turned to Charlotte and asked, "Where in the hell did you learn to punch like that, miss?"

Charlotte smiled, then said, "Two police officers and several senseis, sir."

The guard whistled then said, "This boy got lucky if you've had that much training. He could have been hurt much worse."

Charlotte nodded her head at the guard's comment, before saying, "That's true, sir. However, I gave my word to my Aunt not to break anything should I be confronted."

The guard keyed his two-way and told the person answering that they'd need an ambulance, and where, for a boy who tried to accost a young lady and lost the battle. He answered general questions about the boy's physical health at the moment, before it was decided an ambulance wasn't necessary at the moment. One of their own medically trained staff members could look the boy over and make a further determination. Of course, Charlotte would have to go with the Security Guards to make a formal statement as to what happened. Charlotte was worried how Jane would react when she didn't arrive at the food court within the hour they'd agreed to. But she didn't have to worry about that small problem, since Jane and Francis had just walked out of the store opposite to where Charlotte was at the moment. And because Jane misses nothing, when she saw the boy lying on the ground, and the three boys talking with a Security Guard, and Charlotte talking to the other guard, she had to find out what happened.

Charlotte saw Jane and Francis walking her way, and indicated her Aunt to the guard speaking with her. "Charlotte, explain yourself, young lady," Jane said in her usual no nonsense manner.

"Aunt Jane, I saw these four," and she pointed to the boy lying on the ground and the three with the other guard, "standing outside a gaming store. I walked by them and didn't acknowledge them in any way. As I was admiring the fashions displayed in the store windows, I caught sight of them following me. And when I stepped into the knook to see what this store offered, they blocked my path and refused to move so I could leave. This one," and she pointed to the boy on the ground, "asked why they should move out of the way of such a pretty girl,. He said they wanted to know if I wanted to come with them to have some fun. And then he made a mistake and tried to touch me, and ended up kneeling on the floor, his hand bent backward. These two gentlemen," and Charlotte pointed to the two Security Guards, "arrived and this gentleman," she pointed to the one she'd been talking with, "asked me to let go of the boy, which I did. I guess the boy was upset because of what I did to him, because once he got off the floor he tried to punch me. But as you can see, he missed, I didn't. And as promised, Aunt Jane, nothing is broken. He's merely sleeping."

By Jane's estimation, the boy is a good 5-6 inches taller than Charlotte, and a few pounds heavier, but is lying on the floor nonetheless. Jane had to put her hand over her mouth to hide the smile that wanted to show Charlotte how proud she was of her for keeping her word. Jane then addressed the guard standing by Charlotte, asking, "I suppose you'll want my niece to accompany you in order to make a formal statement?"

The guard nodded his head then said, "Ah, yes ma'am. It's standard procedure in a case like this. And we'll need to know if you'll be pressing charges against the boy. And of course, we'll be calling the parents of all four of these boys." It was right then a staff member arrived carrying a medically marked gym type bag, knelt beside the fallen boy and began taking the boy's vitals. She then removed a vial, broke it and waved it under the boy's nose, causing the boy to stir and started coughing from the ammonia vial fumes.

The boy rolled over and sat up without being asked, but still looked dazed. The staff member waved the ammonia vial under his nose again, only to have the boy swat it away from his nose. He looked around and saw the staff member kneeling beside him, then the Security Guard, then an older woman and young girl, then Charlotte. This boy was a very slow learner as he tried to get up after saying, "You, you stupid bitch. You're going to pay for this."

He never got to his feet, as the staff member put her hand on his shoulder and kept him seated. "Whoa there son, you just sit your butt right where it is. You've been unconscious for a time and I want to make sure you're okay before we have you stand and come with us to our office. And you ain't gonna make no girl pay for you acting like a jackass and trying to touch her like you did. You got exactly what you deserved. You really should count yourself lucky, it could have been worse, from what I hear."

The boy glared at Charlotte, who was nodding her head. Then she told them, "She's right, I could have done more to you before you even hit the floor. But I gave my word not to break anything if I was threatened."

The boy showed just how much of a slow learner he was by saying, "I better not catch you up here again or I'll finish what I started. No girl ain't gonna make a fool out of me."

Charlotte again smiled, looked at Jane, then said, "I expect I'll be coming to the Mall often," Jane nodded her head. Then, looking at the boy, she told him, "I have no wish to hurt you again. But attack me, and my word or not, you will have to be put into the hospital for a sizable amount of time. It would be best if you learn from this experience and not do it again."

The staff member, the Security Guard, Jane, Francis, and Charlotte, watched as the boy shook his head, then said, "Not a chance, girly. Your ass is mine."

Jane stepped closer to where the boy was sitting on the floor, telling the boy, "You are an extremely stupid boy to make such threats in front of these witnesses." While still looking at the boy Jane told Charlotte, "Charlotte, I rescind my request to not break anything should this idiot or his friends attack you when you're here in the Mall or anywhere else. If he isn't willing to learn the lesson he just received, then a more severe lesson must be applied. Young man, I would strongly suggest you not come after this girl," and she pointed to Charlotte. "When she gets through with you and your friends, all of you will be wearing casts on the major parts of your bodies. If she doesn't kill all of you first."

Jane stood back as the staff member helped the boy to stand. He was then taken by the arm by the guard who'd spoken to Charlotte. Jane, Charlotte, and Francis followed the six to the Security offices, where Charlotte gave her statement and the four boys tried to explain what happened to their parents. After the four boys tried to blame everything on Charlotte, the parents talked with Charlotte, who regaled them with her story, backed up by the two Security Guards who witnessed the last part of the encounter. When the four boys discovered they'd been caught in a lie, one of the other three told what really happened and why. The threat made to Charlotte would never be carried out. The parents of the boy who threatened Charlotte, had told him if he got in trouble again, he would be going to a boarding school that wouldn't tolerate his attitude. The trouble he caused today was his third strike, and in the morning he and his parents would be driving to his new school. An all girls school, specializing in helping boys learn how to become better citizens. Of course the boy wouldn't find out about it being an all girls school until after his parents had left the school to drive home. Or that he too would become one of the girls of the school.

After giving her statement, and the three women left the security offices, Charlotte said to Jane, "Aunt Jane, I apologize for causing this trouble, I should have seen it coming the minute I decided to step into that knook to look at the fashions offered by that store. It looks as though I still have a lot to learn about being a girl."

When Jane stopped dead in her tracks, so too did Francis and Charlotte. With a serious look on her face Jane turned to Charlotte and told her, "Charlotte, did you invite those four boys to follow you? Did you invite them to stand in your way when you wanted to move on from that one store? Did you invite that boy to try and touch you? The answer to those questions is NO, you did none of those things. What you did do is show great restraint in how you dealt with that situation. You protected yourself without doing more than what was needed at the time. Don't you dare apologize for something that wasn't your fault. Any young girl, or woman, should have been able to do as you were doing without fear of animals like those boys causing distress on the part of the girl or woman." Just by looking at Charlotte, Jane could see that Charlotte still felt bad for what she had done. She reached out, pulled Charlotte into a hug, so much out of character for Jane, but needed this time, and softly told the girl, "You did nothing wrong, Charles," and felt the girl start to shake, knowing they would have to visit the lady's room to fix Charlotte's face.

Once Charlotte's face had been repaired, the three sat for a while in the food court, savoring the wetness of their drinks. Jane still saw how bad Charlotte felt and decided another tact was needed to take the girl's mind off her recent experience. "So, Charlotte. Did you see anything you liked as you window shopped? If so, let's go there and see how it looks on you."

Jane watched as Charlotte chuckled before telling the woman, "Aunt Jane, that's a very old tactic, trying to distract a person so they don't dwell on a bad experience."

Jane just humphed before saying, in as serious a voice as she could, "Such a petulant child! Did you or did you not see something you liked?"

Charlotte smiled again before telling Jane, "Yes, Aunt Jane. I saw a really cute dress I think would look good on me."

Jane nodded her head then said, "Then let's go and see if they have one in your size, and see how it looks on you."

Before Jane could get out of the chair, Charlotte had stood up, leaned over and kissed Jane on the cheek, telling her, "Thank you for being here, Aunt Jane. I hope you continue being my Aunt when this is all over. I love you."

Jane Thompson is a hard woman to surprise or embarrass, but Charlotte had done both by what she just done and said to Jane. Jane had to clear her throat several times before she could say, "You are such a petulant child. We won't know if that cute dress will fit you unless we go and you try one on."

Francis, like Charlotte, had stood when Jane said they should go to that store, and had heard everything Charlotte said to Jane. She then bent down, since Jane was still sitting, and lightly kissed Jane's other cheek, telling Jane, "I agree with Charlotte, Aunt Jane."

Jane humphed again, saying, "Another petulant chile. The pair of you are nothing but petulant children. Now stand back so I may stand. Petulant children are such a bother." Charlotte and Francis stood back and allowed Jane to stand, Jane not seeing both girls smiling at each other. Neither girl knew how much it meant to Jane what they'd just done or said to her, or that Jane was amazed how much of an influence Charlotte had been on Francis. Trying to maintain her serious manner, after what the girls did and told her, Jane asked Charlotte, "Where is that cute dress, Charlotte?" Charlotte told Jane the name of the store, and the three walked back the way they'd entered the Mall. The girls giggled when they heard Jane say, more to herself than to the girls, "Such petulant children."

Not only did the correct size dress fit Charlotte perfectly, but so did one they found for Francis. Jane would let the girls leave the store until they found shoes and other accessories as well. After Jane paid for their purchases, the girls were acting just as teenage girls would after shopping, they chatted. Only to have Jane remind them they were young ladies and not barkers at some carnival. Both girls giggled before calming down, not seeing the small smile that creased Jane's lips.

As they drove back to Jane's home, she reminded Francis that she still had lessons to do, and for Charlotte to come to the Study after she properly put her new things away. It wasn't long before they pulled up to Jane's home, got out of the car and went into the house. Marie came out of the kitchen as they walked into the house and watched as the two girls carried their shopping bags up the stairs to their bedrooms. "And girls, if your dresses and shoes aren't properly put away, you will be taking everything out of your closets and putting it all back in correctly."

Jane had said this in her usual headmistress voice, which got an, "Yes Aunt Jane," from both girls. Jane then motioned for Marie to join her in the Study, so she could keep an eye on both girls. Once both women were in the Study, and Jane had turned on the monitor, she then told Marie about their experience in the Mall. And what the girls told her as they started to leave the food court.

Marie smiled at Jane and said, "It seems our Charlotte has been good for our Francis, oui? It is terrible she was forced to come to us but, it is still good she is here now. N'es-tu pas d'accord (Don't you agree?)?"

Jane nodded her head then replied, "Yes, I agree with you. But still, it's an injustice that caused it to happen. And that still makes it wrong." Jane watched both girls by way of the monitor before telling Marie, "Francis will be in the library working on her lessons, and I will be giving Charlotte academic tests to see what she has learned. That injustice has caused us to make sure we help Charlotte keep up with her studies. I'm hoping when this is all over that her grades here can be transferred to her old school. Or I may have to rely on some old friends I have to help make it happen."

Jane watched as both girls started to leave their bedrooms, turned off the monitor, and heard Marie say before leaving the Study. "Jane, sometimes an injustice turns out to be a good thing. Have Foi, everything will be all right in the end." Marie patted Jane's hand before getting up out of the chair and walking out of the Study.

Jane had moved to the table by the window in the Study. She heard a knock on the Study door and said, "Enter." The door opened and Charlotte walked into the Study, closing the door behind her. "Ah, good, Charlotte. Come sit with me."

Charlotte had stopped by the bookshelf which contained the book she had used to balance on her head as she traversed the room five times before. She looked at Jane and said, "I will, Aunt Jane, after I follow your instructions about coming into the Study." Jane watched as Charlotte took 'the book' from the bookshelves, placed it on her head until it balanced, and proceeded to walk around the room. Jane would have been torn if Charlotte had forgotten to walk the room with the book balanced on her head. She would have had to admonish her for forgetting Jane's instructions, but couldn't feel obligated to do so because of Charlotte's special situation. She would have been conflicted either way, since in some things she had to treat Charlotte as she would any of her girls.

Jane watched as Charlotte completed her first circuit of the room, before asking, "Charlotte, how did you find the classes at your old high school? Did they challenge you or did you find them boring?"

Jane could see Charlotte was thinking about her questions, as she started her second circuit of the room. She was behind Jane's desk when she said, "They were rather boring, Aunt Jane. I had worked my way through the Algebra book, going by the examples in the book, and when I asked to be allowed to take Geometry, I was told no. I had to stay with my class. My Algebra teacher thought I was trying to pull a fast one and gave me a midterm and final exam. She couldn't believe it when I scored one hundred on both tests. But I couldn't advance. I did the same in my History class, read the entire textbook. When my teacher drilled me I was able to answer every question put to me. But, again, I had to stay with the class. Science was the same, as was English. I even had to take tests I'd already proven I could pass. I sure messed up the bell curve in my classes." Charlotte completed her second circuit as she finished answering Jane's first question. As she started her third circuit, she told Jane, "And no, Aunt Jane. None of my classes challenged me in the slightest. In fact, I had to fight in order to stay awake, which got me into trouble at times. A teacher would call on me, thinking I wouldn't know the answer, and get upset when I answered their question perfectly. I made the mistake, one time, of correcting a teacher because the book contradicted what she had said. And I showed her where it said it in the book." Charlotte had reached the location behind Jane's desk as she finished answering Jane's last question. Charlotte couldn't see Jane, so she didn't see Jane shaking her head in disgust.

Both were quiet as Charlotte made her fourth and fifth circuits of the Study, before returning the book to the bookshelf where it belonged. She then walked over to the table where Jane sat, pulled out the chair opposite Jane and sat down. After Charlotte sat down, Jane said to her, "Charlotte, your parents were able to get a copy of your current school records, and faxed them to me. I know how you did in school, but what I need to know is how much you really know. The results of these tests will help me plan the lessons you will be taking, geared to your level of knowledge, not grade level as is done in school. I will not time you but I want you to work as quickly as you can. When you finish one set of papers, turn it over, set it off to the side, and take another set and work your way through it. We are getting close to dinner, so I will come and get you to help when it's time to set the table and help Marie. At that time, if you haven't finished a set of papers, turn it over in front of you and set your pencil on top of it. That way I'll know you haven't finished that set of papers. When you finish all of the sets of paper, please come find me so we can look at your results together, I may have questions for you about each set of papers. I will be looking in on you from time to time, but don't let my looking in on you distract you from your work. Do you have any questions for me before you begin?"

Jane again watched the 'thinking' look formed on Charlotte's face, before she told Jane, "No Aunt Jane. I don't have any questions at this time." Jane then handed Charlotte one of several pencils lying on the table, before handing her the top set of papers. Charlotte turned it over and began to work through the math problems. Jane quietly left the table and the Study, going to the library to look in on Francis.

As Jane entered the library, she saw Francis standing and looking out the large windows, the paper she'd been writing lying on the table near where she stood. Francis heard the door close and without turning said, "It isn't fair, Aunt Jane."

Jane walked over to stand beside Francis and asked the girl, "What isn't fair, Francis?" Francis was doing a lesson on Capitalism and its influence throughout history. Jane looked down at the desk near them and could see several sheets of paper which had been turned over, the ones Francis had already written on. Jane waited a moment before asking Francis, "Something is bothering you about the lesson, Francis. What is it?"

She watched as Francis slowly shook her head and said, "Why is it all through the ages, people with wealth make rules for everyone to follow but themselves? Why do they build their wealth on the backs of those who do the actual work, but don't pay, reward, or compensate those who do the actual work with more than peanuts? Then they turn around and price everything so high that those doing the work can't get out of the hole the wealthy put them in in the first place. It isn't fair, Aunt Jane. It just isn't fair."

Jane looked down at her ward and saw tears sliding down her cheeks. She put her arm around Francis' shoulder and pulled her into a hug. "No Francis, it isn't fair. But that's how it's been for ages. Why does it happen? There are several reasons. Greed, lack of concern for those doing the actual work, lack of concern for anyone, egos, selfishness, hate, anger, the list goes on and on, Francis. For every word that depicts a hateful action, there's a person who commits that act against another. And all we can do, Francis, is make sure we don't become a part of it. That we treat others as we want to be treated. That we're fair to others if they work for us in some venture. That we treat them with respect, never demean them for the work they do, no matter how demeaning it may seem. And should you ever become so wealthy you can afford to hire many others, remember this lesson and be better than those you've read about. Come, we better get ready for dinner. I'll go get Charlotte to help." Jane turned Francis around and together they walked to the library door, where Francis opened it and allowed Jane to leave the library first. A hard previous lesson taught her to close doors behind her, and she did that to the library door after stepping out of the library.

When Francis first arrived at the Winsome Girl's School for Wayward Boys, she had a bad habit of leaving doors open when she entered or left a room, if the door started out being closed. As was Jane's way, she scolded Francis twice about her leaving doors open, and for a day Francis closed doors behind her. But when she continued her habit of leaving doors open on the next day, Jane had Francis stand outside the study doors, knock, wait for Jane to say "Enter," then open the door, enter the study and close the door behind her. She then had to ask permission to leave the study and when it was granted, open the door, leave the study and close the door behind her. She did this thirty times in a row. She never left a closed door open again.

Francis had calmed down a bit, by the time everyone sat down to dinner. Jane brought up the subject that had bothered Francis, and listened as both girls offered their opinions and views on the subject. With each opinion or view the girls gave, Jane would offer another question based on each girls' comments. When they'd finally run the gamut of comments and questions, Jane asked Charlotte how she was getting on with her testing.

Charlotte's answer caused Jane to look at Charlotte suspiciously. "I've completed the math set of papers, Aunt Jane, and have finished about half of the History set of papers." Charlotte could see the skepticism on Jane's face, so she asked if she could be excused from the dining table for a moment. Jane wasn't sure what Charlotte was up to, but granted her request. The three then watched as Charlotte walked to the study, entered, closed the door behind her, and in a few moments, the study door opened, then closed, as Charlotte walked out of the study carrying a set of papers. Charlotte handed the set of papers to Jane, the completed math set of papers, before returning to her seat at the dining room table. Jane had the master correction sheet locked in her desk in the Study, but could see as she flipped through the papers, that every problem had the formula and computations written out beside the problem. And the papers were all complete.

Jane excused herself and went into the Study to grade Charlotte's set of math papers. She didn't look happy when she returned, and asked Charlotte, "Would you care to explain how you answered every problem on these pages," and she waved the set of papers in the air, "correctly, when you have yet to have even taken any classes other than Algebra? If I didn't know you as I do, I would say you cheated while taking this exam."

Charlotte just smiled at Jane, then told her, "No, Aunt Jane, I didn't cheat on that exam, as you know I wouldn't. When I had my free period at school, I chose to spend it in the Library--we were allowed to choose where to spend our free periods--and discovered the Library had copies of our textbooks for those students who forgot their textbooks in their lockers. I'd already worked my way through our Algebra textbook so I found the textbooks for the Trig and Calculus classes and worked my way through them. To me, both were easy to work through, by following the examples in both books. Once I'd worked my way through each book, I did the same for Chemistry and Physics, and any other class I found interesting. As I told you, Aunt Jane, I found most of my classes rather boring, since I'd already read through the textbooks for those classes."

Marie could see the stunned expression on Jane's face, and gently took the set of papers out of her hand. She slowly flipped through the set of paper, not seeing what they often saw when Jane gave this particular test. Red marks indicating an incorrect answer. She furled her brow, then looked through the set again, and again did not see any red marks. She held up the set of papers then said to Charlotte, in an astonished voice, "Chère, you answered each problem correctly. And in such a short amount of time."

Charlotte was about to shrug her shoulders, but caught herself in time, then said, "I found all of them easy to work, Tante Marie. I don't understand why it's such a big deal. I was given a test, I took the test, and went on to the next test. It's that simple." 'It's that simple' was the closest Charlotte could come to shrugging her shoulders, lest Jane get upset at her again.

If the two women hadn't had serious expressions on their faces, Francis and Charlotte would have giggled at their expressions. But both women were serious, now, and looking at each other before returning their gaze to Charlotte. "Chère, I don't think you realize what this means. To you, it's not a big deal, because you don't find it unusual. But to us, it is a big deal since you've never had any lessons in either Trigonometry or Calculus. You learned each subject all on your own, because you were bored with your classes. Mon Dieu, mon enfant, there are only a handful of people in this world who could do such a thing, and you are one of them." This time, as both women and Francis watched, Charlotte did shrug her shoulders, it was the only response she had to Marie's comment. Charlotte still didn't see why it was such a big deal.

Jane and Marie looked at each other, again, both thinking the same thing. If Charlotte was able to pass the Math test, and those sections she only learned on her own, it was highly probable she was going to score extremely high on each and every set of papers in those areas where she'd never had a class on that subject. And learned everything on her own. If they were correct in their assessment of Charlotte, Jane would need to make some phone calls and ask for help from those educated in the higher form of the subjects Jane was planning for Charlotte. Otherwise, she wouldn't benefit from the lessons Jane would plan for her.

Jane set the Math set of papers aside, and they carried on with their noon meal, both girls helping with dessert and when time, clearing the table and helping clean up the kitchen. The girls then went back to their previous work, Francis to the library and Charlotte to the study, where Jane found her walking the study circuit as she looked in on her. Jane chuckled to herself as she saw Charlotte walking the parameter of the study with the book balanced on her head, before she'd get back to the tests.

When Charlotte finished all the sets of papers, she did as Jane had instructed and went in search of Aunt Jane. As she stepped out of the study, closing the door behind her, she heard muffled voices coming from the kitchen, Marie and Jane's voices. She walked to the kitchen door but stopped when she heard Jane tell Marie, "Marie, those fools don't realize what they have in Charlotte. Any student who can do what Charlotte did on that set of math papers, without formal lessons, needs more than what that school is capable of giving them." Their talk stopped when there was a knock on the kitchen door, and Charlotte slowly came into the kitchen. The kitchen was the one place where nothing was said about knocking on the door then waiting to be allowed to enter. But Charlotte felt it was the polite thing to do before walking in on Jane and Marie's conversation.

Jane saw the look on Charlotte's face, and asked, "You heard?"

Charlotte nodded her head then replied, "Yes, I heard, Aunt Jane. And I've been trying to get them to let me take advanced courses, even my parents have asked that I be allowed. But they always come back with 'We feel he needs the social structure granted him by staying with his peers.'" As the two women watched, Charlotte pulled out a chair at the kitchen table, sat down, and put her head down on the kitchen table, on top of her hands. "Aunt Jane, Tante Marie, I'm so bored at that school I've often thought of quitting school. Of going out on my own to learn what I want, what I need to learn. I told my parents that and thought WWIII had begun. What can I do, Aunt Jane? My parents won't let me quit. I'm not allowed to take advanced courses. I'm shuttled along with the rest of the herd, 'for my own good.'"

Jane and Marie had no trouble recognizing the desperation in Charlotte's voice, and would have to wait until they graded her tests to devise a plan to get Charlotte the academic help she needed. "You finished the sets of papers?"

Jane asked Charlotte, who said in a despondent voice, "Yes, Aunt Jane. I left them on the table by the window, face down as you instructed." Had the situation been different, Jane would have stripped flesh off Charlotte's back for the way she answered Jane's question, with her head down on the table and using a discouraged voice. Instead, Jane excused herself and went to the Study to grade Charlotte's papers.

tbc
Chapter 7

up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

another good chapter

lisa charlene's picture

I am enjoying your story .cant wait to see what happen when the boy arrives and what changes that will happen .

It will be interesting

Jamie Lee's picture

I'm glad you're enjoying the story, lisa. Things do get interesting in the next chapters.

Jamie Lee

Others have feelings too.