Complicit In a Lie

Printer-friendly version


Complicit In A Lie


By Jamie Lee

Imagine you are shopping and suddenly you’re accused of shoplifting. What would you do? And what would you do if you told the truth, to everyone, and because of the lies told by those caught shoplifting, you are deemed guilty? Charles Thorton found himself in this exact situation, while he was at a department store shopping for a necklace for his mother’s 35th birthday. Little did Charles know who he would end up facing after it was decided by the judge he shouldn’t go to juvenile hall.

Author’s note: This story had been bouncing around in my head for some time, and now it’s finally where it will hopefully stop demanding to be let out. This is another of my ‘what if’ stories about Ms. Jane, a woman who is the creation of other very creative writers. The other characters in this story came out of what imagination I possess and are completely fictional. If on the other hand, you see someone you know in one of these characters, then you are either lucky or unlucky, depending on which character it happens to be. As usual, public comments are more than welcome, technical comments should be PM’d to me.


***Chapter 1***

Fourteen-year-old Charles Thorton looked up from the book he was reading when he heard, “ladies and gentlemen, we are approaching Kingston, our next stop. For those of you leaving us at Kingston, we want to thank you for traveling with us and we hope you had a pleasant journey. For those of you traveling on with us, we will be in-station for twenty minutes. If you’d like to stretch your legs off the train, please make sure to have your tickets with you so you won’t have trouble reboarding. Also, in the pocket of the seatback in front of you are occupied cards that you can use to save your seats. For your convenience, the station snack bar sells hot and cold beverages and hot and cold snacks. Ladies and gentlemen, our next stop is Kingston.” Charles looked out the window and saw the beginning of Kingston, some old buildings, newer buildings, and houses off in the distance. He put his bookmark between the pages to mark his place, closed the book and put it back in his backpack. After zipping his backpack closed, he picked it up and sat it in his lap, then returned looking out the window.

The train was beginning to slow down. As Charles looked off toward where he believed the station was, he caught his first sight of a woman and young girl standing at the near end of the platform. They were still too far off to gain any details, but it seemed strange that they stood along as they did. The train was now moving at an easy runner’s jog. Closer now, Charles could see the woman was very statuesque and impeccably dressed, as was the young girl standing with her. As Charles studied the young girl, something started nagging at his mind but being still too far away he could not discern the problem. As Charles again looked at the woman, it appeared she was looking back at him intently, almost as though she was trying to see into his soul. He could now see more of the platform, towards the far end, and saw several people waiting with their carry-ons to board the train; others seemed to be waiting for people to arrive. He again looked at the woman and young girl and had no doubts the woman was looking directly at him. This close Charles could see how attractive she was, as was the young girl. He could almost feel it now, the reason he found something wrong with the young girl’s appearance.

When Charles was two steps from the woman and young girl he stopped and asked, “excuse me ma’am, my name is Charles Thorton. Are you the woman I’m to meet here in Kingston?”

Jane had used the time as the train pulled slowly into the station to observe her new ward as he sat on the train. Even at some distance, she could tell something wasn’t right about this boy being sent to her. And as he stood in the door of the train car, he still wasn’t displaying the traits she had come to expect from boys sent to her. Where most hid fear, he radiated self-confidence. Where most displayed disinterest, he showed an abundance of curiosity. He showed no contempt, no arrogance, no self-importance, he showed absolutely no markers that indicated he should be here now. In fact, his stopping two steps from her instead of crowding her, and his manners at first addressing her, were not consistent with what she’d come to expect from those needing her help and guidance. Something wasn’t right, and Jane’s internal alarms were proof.

“Yes, young man. I am the woman you are to meet here in Kingston. My name is Jane Thompson, you may address me as Ms. Thompson or Ms. Jane.” And using her left hand she said, “and this is my ward, Francis Winslow.”

Charles extended his hand to Jane, who took it and shook his hand and told him, “it’s nice to meet you, Charles Thorton.” He then extended his hand to Francis and she too took his hand and shook it. “It’s nice to meet you, Francis,” Charles told the young girl as he studied her face now he was closer. He could feel she was trembling as they shook hands, and saw fear in her eyes. “It’s nice to meet you too,” Francis told Charles in a voice tinged with fear. And then it hit him, the ‘why’ something felt off about this girl. If Jane felt something was off about why this boy was here, it was about to be confirmed.

Charles turned his attention back to Jane and said, “ma’am I have a question.” As Charles watched Jane’s face, he saw several thoughts play across her face. The one he heard must have won out as Jane asked, “what’s your question, Charles?”

Looking at Francis, Charles asked, “why do you have a boy dressed and presenting as a giirrll…,” but the question died on his lips. For in that instance he recalled the ‘why’ from several articles he’d read for a paper he had to write. And because even though Francis was wearing makeup, Charles could see the color had drained from her face. The fear Francis’ eyes held before had changed to terror, and she appeared ready to run. Charles reached out and gently placed his hand on her arm and told her, “your story is not mine to tell. I will not betray your confidence. You are stronger than you realize and will get through this. And you are very pretty.” Charles gently reached up and wiped the tears off her checks that had fallen from her eyes, watching as color returned to her face and just fear returning to her eyes. “It will be alright, you’ll see,” Charles told Frances as he gently squeezed her arm. Francis put her left hand on the back of Charles’s right hand and said in a throaty voice still laced with tears, “thank you, that means a lot to me.”

Every single alarm within Jane was now sounding. For the first time she could ever remember, another boy recognized the true gender of one of her present wards. And the boy had yet to be introduced to the program. In a voice pitched only for Charles’ and Francis’ ears, Jane asked, “Charles, how did you discern Francis’ true nature? And what else were you going to say?” Though Charles had seen looks that could peel paint off wood, the look Jane gave him now would have done a whole battleship, in one go.

“Ms. Thompson, I was given a special dispensation from the university near my home that allowed me to take a semester of Anatomy and a semester of Physiology, in which I received straight ‘A’s’ in both the lecture and lab parts for both courses; I plan on going into medicine. It was because of Francis’ facial structure that I was able to discern her true gender. And Ms. Jane, perhaps now isn’t the time for me to answer your second question?” Charles flicked his eyes toward Francis and then back to Jane, who immediately understood what Charles was saying without saying a word. With a slight nod of her head she said, “perhaps you’re correct, Charles, some things are best left for another time.” And it wasn’t lost on Jane not only the concern Charles had for Francis, but how his addressing her had changed. She hoped a certain judge was home in a few minutes, because she was going to find out why a boy, no, young man of Charles’ character had been sent to her. If Jane thought her ire was smoldering now, she wasn’t prepared with what she heard next.

As Jane watched Charles’ face, she saw a change that even sent chills down her spine, something that almost never happens. It was a mixture of anger, rage, self-control, and a determination that she seldom encountered. And her ire boiled over at what she next heard. “Ms. Jane, I have another question,” Charles stated as his eyes bored into Jane’s. She wasn’t too sure of her voice at the moment so she simply nodded her head as an indication for Charles to ask his question. Jane saw the fire in Charles’ eyes as he asked, “are you complicit in the lies that were told about me, when I told everyone the truth?”

It was Jane’s turn to show fire in her eyes, and a growl in her voice when she replied, “Charles Thorton, I have never been complicit in lies of any kind!! I don’t know what is taking place, but I can assure you I will get to the bottom of it!!!” Jane closed her eyes in an attempt to regain her self-control before she said, “I think we best say nothing more until we are on our way to my home. Francis, what do you say that we return home?” It wasn’t a question that needed an answer, more a statement that they were going home. “Charles, please follow us to my car so we can return to my home.” Giving Charles another, ‘say nothing more’ look, she heard, “yes ma’am,” from Charles.

“Come, Francis,” was all Jane said as she turned and started walking to the station parking lot. Charles remained two steps behind, and between the two ladies as they made the short walk to Jane’s car. When they reached her car, Charles then walked past Francis on her right side, and when Jane had unlocked the front passenger door, Charles opened the door for Francis and offered his hand to help her into the car. Once she was safely in the car, he closed the door then walked around the front of the car and did the same for Jane. After closing the driver’s door Charles opened the driver’s side passenger door, got into the car, closed the door and fastened his seat belt. Before Jane had put the key in the ignition, it was curiosity that got the best of Francis as she asked, “What do you have in your backpack, Charles?” After the last few minutes and everything Jane had heard, Jane ruffled at Francis’ question, and admonished her with, “Francis, it isn’t polite to inquire as to the contents of someone’s valease.” But she wasn’t expecting what she heard from Charles. “Ms. Jane, I don’t mind telling what I’m carrying, if you don’t mind?” Again, Jane realized Charles was thinking of others before himself, actually giving her control over whether he told or not. “As long as you don’t mind, Charles, proceed.”

“Francis, I have a bag of dried fruit, two bottles of bottled water, a book I’m currently reading, and a complete change of emergency clothing.” Even Jane recognized the need for the first three items listed, given the length of the train ride, but Charles carrying ‘emergency’ clothing piqued her interest, asking, “Charles, why do you carry emergency clothing?”

Charles chuckled at Jane’s question, a chuckle that was rather pleasant to hear. And what he was about to say was going to have the same effect on the two women. “Ms. Jane, all the boys at my high school are required to take Home Economics, due to concerns some previous parents had about their sons being able to take care of themselves when they got out on their own. My class was on a field trip to a major bakery to see how commercial bread, and the like, was made. We had just watched the dry ingredients placed into a large vat, how the lid to the vat closed to allow the paddles attached to the lid to mix the dry ingredients before the liquid was added. Because the man operating the controls was distracted by several of the more attractive girls in my class, he didn’t realize he pressed the wrong button until the vat I was standing near, the one liquid had just been added, poured its contents all over me. Had it been halloween I could have gone as either a ghost or a doughboy.”

Francis was doing more than chuckling, she was laughing so hard it became hard to breathe. And Jane, the oh so refined woman she always portrayed, was laughing right along with Francis. Charles waited until Jane and Francis had calmed down a bit before continuing with, “the employees took me to the employee locker room and there was a debate whether I should shower. But as I pointed out, while I would be cleaned, my clothing would still be covered with the mixture. They tried to find a smock small enough for me after I showered, but they didn’t have any in my size. So instead of a clean me going back into dirty clothing, it was decided to clean off as much of the mixture as they could. Mrs. Mullen, our teacher, wanted to call off the rest of the tour, but I told her I’d be okay and not to let this incident spoil it for the rest of the class. I will admit, it was an interesting experience continuing the tour in squishy shoes and sticky clothing, but I had called my mom and when we returned to school, I was able to shower and put on clean clothes.”

Charles’ last statement set off both women again, and it was a few minutes until Jane had regained her composure, put the car key in the ignition and started the car. It was then she told Charles, “Charles, some things bother me about why you were sent to me. I want you to start at the beginning and tell me how you got involved in all this.” Jane watched by way of the rear view mirror as Charles’ face again took on the look that had sent chills up her spine. She also saw the extreme self-control he was exhibiting to not take his anger out on her or Francis. As Jane backed her car out of the parking space, Charles began his story. A story that would take until they reached Jane’s home to tell.


***Chapter 2***

As Charles started his story, it took all of his self-control not to tell it in anger. As Jane listened to Charles’ story, she remembered back to Kenneth, another boy sent to her but not by judge Ruth. He was sent by his mother, a mother who forged papers with the hope of Jane feminizing him so she could take him south and have him altered physically through surgery. When the truth finally came out, the mother ended up in prison, Kenneth ended up being with Judge Ruth, and Jane swore she would never let such a thing happen again. While Charles’ case was different, he was still a boy who should not be here at this moment.

“Charles caught a City bus at a stop not far from where he and his parents lived. By car, the closest mall was about a ten minute drive, but by bus, because of all the stops it made, it was about a twenty minute ride. Once the bus reached the stop for the mall, Charles got off the bus, along with several others, and had to wait for the traffic light to change in order to walk across the street and onto the mall. Once he entered the mall he went directly to Taylor’s department store, and to the jewelry department, to look for just the right necklace for his mom’s 35th birthday. The young sales lady, at the jewelry counter, had been showing Charles necklaces for about fifteen minutes when a hand grabbed his right shoulder and a man’s voice said, “you’re coming with me you little bastard.” Charles didn’t know what this man intended, so the man ended up face down on the floor with his right arm twisted up behind his back and Charles’ right knee on the back of his neck.

“Get off me, you stupid fucking kid. I’m James Conner, head of security for Taylor’s.” James tried to use his strength to break the hold but Charles merely took his right hand and pulled up on James’ right elbow. That simple action elicits a scream from James and another, “kid...when I get up off this floor I’m going to kick your ass way into next week.”

“Mister Conner, when you grabbed me you failed to identify yourself, so I had no idea who you were or what were your intentions. Even now I have no way to verify your claim,” Charles told James as he maintained control of James as he’d been taught from the age of 6. Charles had shown an interest in the Martial Arts, and self defence from the age of 6. From that time until now, age 14, he had studied several different forms of Martial Arts and self defence, and was not intimidated in the least by James’ threats.

“Young man, release that man immediately,” Charles heard from a man coming from his right. “Young man, did you hear me, release him NOW! That man is James Conner, the head of security for Taylor’s.”

While maintaining control of James, Charles looked up at the man who had stopped a few feet away. The man was middle-aged, maybe 40-45, had sandy-colored hair that was full but above his ears. He wore a three-piece suit in charcoal, with a light blue shirt and a blue tie. The name tag he wore showed his name to be Don Obler, Manager. Standing next to him was a woman, somewhat younger than Don, maybe in her 30’s, wearing a light gray business skirt suit, with a light pink blouse, a darker pink scarf, and low heel shoes. Her name tag showed her to be Mary Myles, Assistant Manager.

“Mister Obler, I’m sorry, because this man attacked me I won’t be releasing him until someone can vouch for his, and your, statement that he’s head of security for Taylor’s,” Charles told Don. Don looked into Charles’ eyes and could tell this boy, though young, meant what he said. He could also see this young man could be dangerous if pressed.

Mary was next in trying to get through to Charles when she said, “young man...please, let Mr. Conner up, he really is our head of security. And I’m sure he never meant to attack you as you said, he was only doing his job. If poorly.” Charles looked at the attractive face of Mary, her makeup nicely applied, helping to cover a slight scar she had on her right cheek.

Where Mr. Obler had been aggressive in his demands to release Mr. Conner, Mary had been passive, trying to play on Charles’ softer side. “Ms. Myles, I would gladly let this man up if there was someone who could vouch for all three of you. Right now there is no one in authority who can do that. So I’ll just keep this man here until them.” Charles again put a little more upward pressure on James’ right elbow after he felt the man once again try to break the hold. And as before, James screamed.

All the while this had been going on, the young lady who had been helping Charles watched with an amused expression on her face. “Serves that asshole right,” she muttered to herself, “and about time too.” She was suddenly drawn into the situation when Don, indicating the young lady at the jewelry counter,said, “this young lady can verify who the three of us are. Ask her, she’ll tell you.” Charles turned his head to look at the young lady but all she said was, “I’m not someone in authority.” Two things happened at once. Charles bit back a laugh, for he had stipulated someone in authority, and Don Obler’s face went from white to fire-engine red in a split second. “I’ll deal with you later,” he angrily told the young lady; the statement not phasing her in the least.

“Is there a problem here,” a new voice asked, drawing the attention of Don and Mary, and recognition by Charles.

“Yes, officer, there is a problem here,” a very red-faced Don Obler said. “This young man refuses to release our head of security, after he was only doing his job. We have tried to make this boy understand who we are but he refuses to listen.”

With his attention still on the young lady behind the jewelry display case, Charles said, “hello...officer Hansworth. And I’d guess officer Weber?”

“Hello...Charles. What have you gotten yourself into this time?” William Weber, Robert Hansworth’s partner, had to cover his mouth so no one would see him smile at the sight before him and Robert. Both men, police officers for more than fifteen years, were well acquainted with Charles Thorton since in a very roundabout way they were related. And in more than a roundabout way, they’d not only helped teach Charles what he knew now, but watched as he became a young man who was not someone to take lightly in a fight. “Alright, Charles, tell us what happened and why you have the head of security for Taylor’s on the floor.” As Charles looked at Robert, he could see William doing a very poor job of hiding a smile, his eyes giving him away.

“Officer Hansworth,” Charles began, then indicated the young lady behind the jewelry counter with his head. “The young lady behind the jewelry counter was helping me choose a necklace for my mom’s 35th birthday. She’d been showing me necklaces for about fifteen minutes when this man,” and Charles nodded to James, “grabs me by the shoulder and tells me I’m going with him. I didn’t know who he was since he didn’t identify himself, and because of what might have happened had I gone with him, he’s where you now see him.”

James was a bit slow recognizing what was being said through the pain in his right arm, but finally recognized a voice out of his past. “Robert? Is that you? Robert, get this fucking kid off me, will ya?” For a third time James tried to bull his way out of the hold Charles had him in. And for the third time Charles merely lifted the elbow slightly, causing James to scream.

“Yes, James, it’s Robert, and if I were you I’d lay still. It will hurt a whole lot less. Charles, the man you are holding is James Conner, he is the head of security for Taylor’s department store. The gentleman to your right is Don Obler, manager of Taylor’s. And the woman is Mary Myles, assistant manager of Taylor’s. Charles, please, let James up so we can get to the crux of this whole problem. And James, I’m warning you, when you get up DON’T try and go after Charles. He knows more than you and I ever learned and will likely put you in the hospital the next time he perceives an attack from you.”

Charles looked at Robert, who gave him a slight head nod, as did William. Returning the slight nod Charles said, “Mr. Conner, I’m going to release you now. Please, sir, don’t try to attack me again or I will be forced to use greater measures which will put you into the hospital.” As everyone watched, Charles took his right knee off James’ neck, then gently pushed himself up, back, and away from James. Only Robert and William caught sight of Charles stepping back in a ready position in case James tried something when he was off the floor. They weren’t disappointed.

James’ arm basically flopped onto the floor after being released by Charles. James groaned as he rolled onto his back and sat up, grabbing his right arm as he did. James started massaging and moving his right arm in order to get the feeling back in it before he finally stood up, and as Robert and William suspected, started moving towards Charles. Because this move was expected, Robert immediately stepped in front of James, facing him he tells him, “James, you got your head handed to you once already, don’t make it worse by ending up in the hospital. I warned you about going after this kid again, and you’d better listen, Charles can hurt you six ways to sunday. Let it go, learn from it as we’ve told you several times in the past.” If James thought the glare he was giving Charles was phasing him, he was mistaken. Charles was in a place where he was only focused on James, and dealing with anything James tried. It took William to tap Charles on the shoulder to bring him out of his trance.

Robert stayed between Charles and James as officer Weber asked the question,
“now, Mr. Obler, would you care to explain what this is all about and why we were called?”

A still extremely red face Don Obler opened the throttle and practically screamed, “we caught three boys just outside the store who had shoplifted almost $1000 worth of electronics. They had three gaming consoles, extra controllers and a lot of games for the consoles. When we had them back in security, the one boy, I guess the leader, asked if we had caught the boy behind the theft, the one who was the lookout and distraction. When I asked who he was, he offered to show me and he pointed out this...this BOY to me. I want this boy arrested for shoplifting and I want the book thrown at him. Do you realize we’ve had almost $3000 worth of merchandise stolen or attempted stolen this month alone? I want to send a message, a big message, that Taylor’s will no longer be lenient with thieves.”

Mary and Don were on James’ left side, so that way was blocked. But William had seen James start to move to his right, so William moved to block any thought James had by moving in that direction. When James gave William a dirty look, William just smiled and shook his head, ‘NOPE, ain’t gonna happen’.

“Excuse me,” said Charles, “do I understand that I’m being charged with shoplifting? When this young lady,” and he pointed to the girl who’d been helping him, and was still standing behind the jewelry counter, “can verify I was here the whole time I was in Taylor’s. Now if I were the boss, as you claim the boy said, Mr. Obler, why in the world would I even be in the store? And if I were the lookout, or distraction, as you claim the boy said, Mr. Obler, why in the world would I not be in the ELECTRONICS department instead of the jewelry department?” Both Robert and William had no trouble seeing the logic in Charles’ questions, but could see it fell very short of Don Obler’s ears. It was then they saw Charles take out his cell phone and tell everyone, “if this is the case then I need to make a phone call.” Charles didn’t bother trying to move some place more private, he let everyone hear what he was saying.

“Hi mom, I need you, dad, and Terry to come down to Taylor’s department store….That’s right mom, in that mall….It seems I’m being accused of shoplifting….No of course not, mom….I was shopping for a present for your 35th birthday….Okay….Alright….Fifteen minutes, okay, see you then….I love you too.

Charles put his cell phone back in his pocket and said, “my mom told me to go with you folks, though because I’m a minor you are not allowed to ask me any questions until my parents and our attorney arrive. And that if you try asking me questions, I’m to remind you what the law says about questioning minors without their parent(s) and/or attorney present. I was also told to tell you, Mr. Obler, if this turns out to be false, you best find yourself another job. Because my dad’s law firm will take this store to the cleaners.

Don Obler has been an ass his whole life, and he showed it now by shouting to the young lady behind the jewelry counter, “YOU’RE FIRED. GET YOUR PERSONAL SHIT OUT OF YOUR LOCKER AND GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS STORE! YOUR FINAL CHECK WILL BE MAILED TO YOU. GET OUT NOW!!!“ What Don forgot in his anger were all the security cameras in the store ceiling. Not only did they record every movement in the store, but audio too. Don didn’t know it then, but everything recorded in the store was sent directly to Taylor’s headquarters security. When this one moment in time on the recording was viewed by security, and upper management, and with help from Terry Morgan, Don Obler’s new position would be somewhere but with Taylor’s. And as Don watched, Charles took a card out of his pocket and told the girl, “here’s the numbers for my dad’s law firm. Ask for Terry Morgan, she’s going to love to help you with this problem.” Don glared at Charles, and his intentions caused William, still standing in front of James, to put his hand out towards Obler. Don got the message and told Charles, “COME ON, BOY!! THIS WAY, NOW!! The girl still behind the jewelry counter gave Charles a thumbs up, as Mary and Don turned and started walking towards the back of the store, followed by James, Robert, Charles, and then William. “Good luck,” Charles heard the girl say as the procession reached the back of the store, where they were led to the Security office and holding room.

The security office was like the offices of the manager and assistant manager, only without a wall and door to provide privacy. There was an office desk with a desk chair, several other regular chairs, tall and short filing cabinets, and a one way glass that looked into the holding room. Don and Mary stepped aside, towards the one way glass, as James stepped up to the holding room door and unlocked it. He then opened the door and angrily motioned Charles inside. As Charles stood at the entrance to the room, he saw a medium length table, two chairs on the window side of the table and one chair on the opposite side of the table. “Sit your little ass down in that one chair and don’t you move from it,” James snarled to Charles. What James, Mary, and Don missed, William and Robert didn’t. Charles had slipped into his heightened state mode, one that they’d seen before, one that made him quite a handful if he was threatened in any way. William and Robert were also standing in front of the one way glass, so they didn’t see the look on James’ face as he suddenly entered the holding room and slammed the door behind him, locking it from the inside. Both men went to the door and started banging on it, yelling at James to open the door and not to ask Charles any questions, or try and hurt Charles, or he too would be arrested along with Charles. Mary reached up and flipped on the speaker to the room in time to hear James say, “now you little fucker, you WILL answer my questions or you’ll wish you’d never been born.” Mary pressed the microphone button and told James, “James, it’s against the law for you to ask that boy any questions without his parents or lawyer present. If you don’t unlock the door you will likely go to jail for unlawful imprisonment and possibly kidnapping.” All Mary, and the officers, got for their efforts was the finger from James.

William turned to Don and asked, “is there another key for that room? If there is, you better find it quickly before you lose your head of security to us. Or before James does something stupid and Charles hurts him.” Don scoffed at the officer’s last statement by saying, “that punk kid couldn’t hurt a fly in a paper bag.” William stared at the man before reminding him, “that punk kid, as you call him, put your head of security on the floor and maintained control of him with ease. Now, do you want to get off your ass and find that key or do I call in our door opening specialist?” Robert quickly covered his mouth to keep from laughing after hearing about their door opening specialist. When Don had gone in search of another key for the door, Robert mouthed, ‘really, a door opener specialist?’ William shrugged, then mouthed back, ‘at least it got that ass out of here’.

James took one of the two chairs and threw it into the corner of the room to his right. What he did next caused both William and Robert to yell through the microphone at the same moment. James roughly pulled out the remaining chair, pulled a collapsible baton out of his pocket, slammed it down on the table and sat down in his chair. If James thought making all the noise, and showing the baton was going to phase Charles, he was mistaken. From the time Charles sat down in the one chair, his hands were folded on top of the table and his eyes stayed on James. To those not in the know, Charles would seem calm, serine even. But to William and Robert, that baton just lifted Charles alert status by a factor of ten. James didn’t know it, but Charles was now in a disable mode. Meaning, if James was stupid to reach for that baton, he was going to the hospital with multiple injuries.

As the three standing outside the room watched and listened, James said, “now you little bastard, let’s start with how you met those other three. Where you met them, and where you and they live. And when you planned this theft.”

Charles saw the color change begin in James’ neck, from light tan to red. He watched it rise as he said, “Mr. Conner, I have already said I will not answer any of your questions because it is illegal for you to ask me questions without my parents or lawyer present.” Now James’ ears were red, and the color continued to rise.

“I don’t give a fucking damn about the law, you little fucker. You are going to answer my questions or you will be the one going to the hospital. Now, WHERE IN THE HELL DID YOU MET THOSE OTHER THREE?” As James yelled at Charles, spittle from James’ mouth hit Charles in the face, but Charles didn’t move to wipe it off. He kept his eyes on James, whose face was now completely red. “WHERE DO YOU LIVE? WHERE DO THEY LIVE? ANSWER ME, DAMN YOU!” And Charles, William, and Robert saw it, the slight move of James’ right hand toward the baton. But he wasn’t quick enough, as Charles’ right hand shot out and grabbed the baton, snapping it open as he pulled his hand back. Charles scooted his chair back slightly before telling James, “Mr. Conner, you have been warned about attacking me. This time, sir, if you come at me I will disable you and you WILL need a hospital.”

James was now in a fit of rage. “It isn’t me who’ll need a hospital, you son of a bitch. When I get through with you, your own mommy won’t recognize who you used to be,” James growled at Charles. It was William who said, “that’s what he thinks.” Mary gave officer Weber a strange look as what she next witnessed came as a horrible shock.

The two officers saw it as did Charles, as James grabbed the edge of the table with his left hand, putting his weight on it to brace him as he coiled to spring at Charles. Hoping to take the boy by surprise. As James made his move, the baton in Charles’ hand came down right in the middle of James’ left clavicle, breaking the bone with an audible snap. Without the support of his left collar bone James’ left shoulder collapsed and he fell to his left and landed on the floor, crying out in pain from hitting the floor and because of the broken bone. Charles moved his chair to the far corner to his left, then slowly made his way towards the holding room door. James was holding his left arm with his right hand, but as Charles tried to step past him, his right hand grabbed Charles’ left leg. As the three outside the room watched again in horror, Charles took the baton and brought it down on James’ right forearm, breaking both the ulna and radius. All the three could hear now were the screams coming from James. Charles calmly unlocked the door, opened it, and handed the again collapsed baton to officer Hansworth. “He was warned, officer Hansworth, several times. You’d better call the paramedics, he’ll need to be taken to the hospital to set his left clavicle and both bones in his right forearm.”

“I know Charles, we saw the whole thing. You had very little choice. Why don’t you go sit in the chair behind the desk over there?” Robert pointed to the desk chair behind James’ office desk, it was the best way to keep an eye on Charles and him out of trouble. William radioed for the paramedics, explaining why they were needed. Robert was in the process of taking a statement from Mary, the third person who witnessed everything that occurred in the holding room.

Having heard the screams coming from the security office, Don came running back from where he’d been looking for another key to the holding room door. When he saw James on the floor of the room, screaming in pain, he shouted, “WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? DID THAT FUCKING KID ATTACK JAMES? WELL... SOMEONE ANSWER ME, NOW!!! I WANT THAT BASTARD ARRESTED AND CHARGED WITH ASSAULT AND BATTERY, DO YOU HEAR ME OFFICERS? NOW, DO IT NOW!!

Mary calmly walked over to the hysterical Don and proceeded to slap the shit out of him, the force of her blow knocking him back against the wall. Shocked, but raging mad, Don screamed at Mary, “YOU’RE FIRED, YOU STUPID BITCH! GET YOUR THINGS AND GET THE FUCKING HELL OUT OF MY STORE! HOW A CUNT LIKE YOU EVER MADE ASSISTANT MANAGER HAD TO BE BECAUSE YOU SPREAD YOUR LEGS FOR ONE OF THE BIG BOYS!

Mary had turned her back to Don and was talking to officer Hansworth, but when she heard what Don just screamed at her, she quickly turned and punched Don with a roundhouse to his right cheek. Don dropped like a rag doll, but at least now his mouth was closed. Mary looked down at the sleeping man and said, “you can’t fire me you stupid moron, I was hired by corporate headquarters, not you.”

Charles’ parents and Terry Morgan arrived just after Mary put Don to sleep. When they heard all the yelling before arriving at the security office, Terry had turned on her small recorder to catch what could be heard even before they could see the cause of all the yelling. As they walked into the security office, they heard William ask for another unit to back them up; Don was going to jail tonight. When Lynn and Jeb saw their two old friends, Jeb asked, “Robert, William, would one of you care to explain all the yelling, and that man lying on the floor screaming? And what’s this about Charles being accused of being involved with shoplifting?” The paramedics arrived about ten minutes after Lynn, Jeb, and Terry did, so everyone moved out of their way in order for the paramedics to take care of James and Don. William, Robert, and Mary waited until James and Don were taken out by the paramedics before having everyone sit down.

Mary went first, telling what she knew of the three boys saying that Charles was in charge of planning what to steal from Taylor’s today. She told how the three boys claimed he was their lookout and distraction.

It was then William who told how Charles asked logical questions of the store manager but how his questions fell on deaf ears.

Robert then told everything what happened from the time Charles was at the jewelry counter shopping for a necklace, and put the head of Taylor’s security on the floor because he failed to identify himself before grabbing Charles, to the head of security locking everyone out of the holding room, in an attempt to question Charles, and then trying to attack Charles because Charles had grabbed the collapsible baton that stupid man took into the room. He told how Charles used the baton to break the man’s left collar bone when the man tried to come across the table and grab Charles. He then told about Charles trying to leave the holding room only to have the man grab Charles’ left leg, and how Charles used the baton to break both bones in the man’s right forearm. It was Terry who looked at Charles and said, “my, you have been busy. Haven’t you Charles?” All but Mary, because she didn’t know, were proud of the restraint Charles showed in only breaking a few bones instead of killing the man, which he could have done with ease.

Robert told the parents and Terry that he and William would have to take Charles in because he was implicated in a shoplifting; the harm done to James would be reported as self defense as witnessed by them. From experience working with Jeb and Terry, he knew they’d stay and take Mrs. Myles’ statement before they came down to the station. He told them that when they finished at Taylor’s, he and William would meet them at the police station to see about getting Charles out of holding. Robert didn’t lie to them, but said Charles may have to stay the night until he saw a judge in the morning.

And Charles did have to spend the night in a holding cell and he did see a judge in the morning, and he, Jane, and Francis arrived at Jane’s house just as Charles finished telling how he came to be sitting in the back of Jane’s car.


***Chapter 3***

Jane put the car in park, set the emergency brake, and turned off the ignition before telling Francis, “Francis, please go up to the bedroom Charles will be using and make sure everything is ready. Check that there are enough required items in the bathroom, shampoo, conditioner, body soap, towels, just like usual. When you have finished there, please go to the kitchen and help Maria get dinner ready. Charles and I are going to talk for a while, then we will be in. Also, tell Maria nothing special to drink for dinner, she’ll understand.” Charles was out of the car first, and opened the door for Jane. He then went around to the passenger side and opened the door for Francis, helping each lady out of the car. Just after Jane told Charles, “walk with me, Charles,” Francis turned as she was walking to the house and said, “Charles, thank you for all you said to me. I’m not sure you understand how good it was to hear those words. Thank you.”

Charles quietly walked beside Jane, as she led him toward the stables. As soon as Jane heard the front door to her house close she asked, “do you feel now is the right time to answer my second question, Charles? From everything you did for, and said to, Francis, I surmise you have also discerned what it is I do here. Am I right, Charles? By the way, Charles, thank you for what you said and did for Francis. Your kindness toward her has gone a long way in helping her to see not all people are like those who got her into trouble in the first place.”

Charles had been brought up by his parents to always treat others with kindness, even if they are most disagreeable. So it came as a surprise that what little he did do would impact Francis so greatly. He formed his thoughts before saying to Jane, “yes, now is the best time to answer your other question since Francis is now in the house.

“At our high school everyone is required to take Human Sexuality. We were assigned a paper on behavior, and during my research I came across references to behavior modifications. References in those articles led to articles on something I’d never heard of, called Petticoat Punishment. I learned, from reading all the articles on Petticoat Punishment, that it started during the Victorian era as a way to control unruly boys. The boys’ own vanity would be used against him in forcing him into clothing designed for girls. He would be dressed in girls’ clothing from his bare skin out, his hair would be done in a femine style, and he would wear, and be taught how to apply, makeup. Now dressed and looking like a girl, the boy had no choice but to change the way he behaved, or be found out--which could have dire consequences for the boy. All of this had to be kept low key or the women running the program, and possibly the boys’ parents, could be in serious trouble. In short, the boy, over an undetermined period of time, learned to unlearn old behaviors and learn new ones that were more beneficial to him and society. He learned that it wasn’t necessary to act in a brash manner, that it was possible to be a boy and still be kind and thoughtful to others. Yes, Ms. Jane, I realized what you do here some few seconds after asking my first question. I also realized how my question started affecting Francis, and I had to do, say, something to help put her at ease.”

As they walked into the horse barn, Jane picked an apple out of the basket that was kept for just that purpose. She nodded her head toward the basket, silently telling Charles to take one too. Then pointing to one of the two horses in the barn, they fed the apples to the horses, as Jane started formulating a plan to get Charles out of the mess someone had gotten him into. And it would start with a call to a certain Judge Ruth.

Jane never confided in her new wards until much later in their reeducation. And then maybe never. But after hearing everything Charles knew, and his not needing to be with her to unlearn bad manners, and his kind treatment with Francis, she decided honesty with him was her best choice to get his help in clearing his name and returning him to his parents. “Charles, you are correct in what you said about using the boys’ vanity against him. Most who are sent to me think they are the center of the universe. They’re cocky, arrogant, full of themselves, and out to prove just how manly they are. But even those boys have an ego that prevents them from being seen unmanly by a woman, and it’s started by embarrassing them to either be naked or put on the only piece of clothing available, a girls robe. And because they are embarrassed being seen naked, they cover their genitals first off, which leads to being able to get them to put on a pair of panties in an effort to offer them some form of modesty. But in reading all those articles you likely already know this, so nothing I could do would force you into any girls clothing. So, after you’ve showered, and please use the provided items, I think you’ll enjoy the experience, I give you a choice. You may wear your emergency clothing or the robe that you will find lying across the back of the chair in your bedroom, and a pair of panties that Francis will show you where they are.” Jane had turned to face Charles as she spoke. As he had done to her, she now did to him, seeing him run thoughts across his face. What she didn’t expect, or maybe she did, after all, was the smirk on his face.

In a flash, Charles analized everything Jane just said. He ran through his feelings about wearing girls clothing, but found nothing that could prevent him from doing so. He thought back to what his parents had told him on numerous occasions, ‘new experiences are great teachers’. He had been with Jane for only a short time, and had seen the stern mistress who could strip paint off a battleship with a mere look. He’d also seen how much she truly cared about those sent to her and wanted the best for them, even though it meant getting past their guards in ways the boys might find unpleasant. Jane’s stern expression softened, and she smiled as she heard Charles tell her, “Aunt Jane, the clothes I carry in my backpack are for emergencies only. This is NOT one of those times.”

Jane often receives hugs from the boys who finally reach the end of their stay and are ready to leave, having learned what it really means to be a man. It is because they see how much better they are than when they first arrived. On this occasion it was Jane who hugged Charles and told him, “you are a remarkable young man Charles Thorton. You are in your life where I try to guide all the boys who are sent to me for help. Let’s get you back to the house so you can clean up and I make a phone call. We have planning to do if we are to get your name cleared of those shoplifting charges. And I may need your help.”

When they reached the house Jane schooled herself before entering the house, explaining to Charles how she would be acting while Francis was near. Because of his knowledge, Charles replied with, “of course, Aunt Jane, it can be no other way for Francis’ sake.”

They found Francis sitting on the bench in the hallway waiting for them as they entered Jane’s house. Francis stood when she saw Jane and was attentive when Jane told her, “Francis, please take Charles up to his bedroom. Show him all that is available in the bathroom and where he may find panties to wear after he showers. When he is ready, please bring him down to the Library, where I will be on the phone. After that, please set the table for dinner.” Francis smiled when she heard Jane order her to show Charles where the panties were kept, but answered, “yes Aunt Jane.” It didn’t dawn on Francis that normal procedures weren’t being followed, that the boy usually takes a deep nap after dinner then a shower. That it was during the nap that all his male clothing was removed from his room. What Francis appreciated was that Charles had treated her kindly and was going to stay with them for a while.

Charles followed Francis up to the bedroom he would be using. As instructed, Francis showed him all he needed to use in the bathroom, including a razor. When Charles asked about the razor, since he had yet to start shaving, and to see if his suspicions were correct, Francis told him, “it’s to shave your legs, underarms, and arms, just as girls do. And your face. There is shaving gel for that purpose.” Charles smiled inwardly as he recalled an article talking about the procedure being done to the boy instead of the boy doing it himself. Francis caught his attention again when she walked over to a chest of drawers and told him, “these three top drawers hold all the panties you may choose to wear, I’ll explain each style to you after you’ve showered. You best hurry, Aunt Jane can get a bit, um, testie if you take too long.” It was a shame Charles had to withhold all the information he held in his mind, but if Francis was to progress Charles must play along.

Charles did enjoy the new experience using scented shampoo and conditioner and body wash, and shaving his legs, underarms, and arms. He felt his face and it felt smooth, but ran the razor over it just in case. He was actually pleased that he was actually experiencing what he’d only read about in those articles. When he finished, and dried himself and his hair, he walked stark naked into the bedroom and picked up the robe he saw when he first entered the bedroom. This too was lost on Francis as she beckoned him to the chest of drawers and began explaining the different styles of panties he could choose to wear. Francis even went so far to show him the style she was wearing, hoping as she did it wouldn’t be noticed. (She would find out later that it didn’t go unnoticed, as she was given an assignment to write a paper on proper etiquette.) After being told about the different styles, and when they might be worn, Charles chose a blue pair of high cut panties, since they were similar to the briefs he normally wore. As they were about to leave the bedroom, Francis pointed out the slippers under the chair that Charles should put on; they were not seen by Charles at first.

Charles followed Francis down the stairs and to a set of doors that looked like the other doors on the ground floor. “That is the library,” Francis told Charles, but never got the chance to tell him about knocking and waiting to be asked in, as Charles walked up to the doors and knocked. The both heard Jane loudly say, “COME IN.” Francis just shook her head as she turned and started towards the dining room to set the table for dinner as Jane had ordered.

Charles opened the right door, stepped into the room, closed the door then stood facing the desk Jane was sitting behind as she talked on the phone. She motioned for him to come forward and pointed to the chair facing the desk on the right. Charles did as she bid and listened to Jane’s end of the conversation.

“...I know that Ruth, you had no choice, Taylor’s department store wanted him prosecuted...Yes I realize that, but he’s already where I hope to progress the other boys sent to me...I suppose you couldn’t figure out, after talking to those three boys that they were lying, or that they were lying after talking to the two police officers...Oh you haven’t spoken with the three boys or the officers yet...When are they scheduled to come before you...Good, that may give us the time we need...Ruth Walinkiewicz I swore after that affair with Kenneth I’d never put another undeserving boy through this...It was terrible for him, I agree...Listen, I have an idea how we can get Charles’ name cleared and get to the true at the same time...First let me talk to Charles, it actually depends on him...Good, I’ll call you back soon...Love you too...Bye.”

After Jane hung up the phone, her eyes took in Charles sitting in the chair before her. He was sitting up straight, not slouched. The robe he wore was closed and he had his right leg crossed over his left thigh, just as a girl would do to preserve her modesty. She put on her battleship paint peeling look, that Charles recognized, and said to him, “so, you want to learn how to become a young lady, Mr. Thorton?” It took all her self control not to smile as she said it, but she could see that Charles wasn’t fooled. She had to fight even harder not to smile when Charles told her, “in for a penny, in for a pound. How may I help you, Aunt Jane?”

Charles watched Jane’s face soften, and a smirk appear as she said, “tell me about the three boys. You were in the same detention cell with them, correct?” Charles nodded his head and answered with, “yes, Aunt Jane, I was.” Jane watched as Charles went through his thoughts before telling her his impressions of the three boys.

“I sat on a bench opposite all three of them. One boy was so scared that he’d wet himself. I got the impression that he never wanted to be involved with any shoplifting and that the self appointed leader may have threatened him. I got that impression after their leader threatened him if he said anything to anyone. The middle boy didn’t really seem to be all there, he had a dreamy look on his face as he looked at their leader. I believe he lacks any friends, or if he has any they are fair weather friends and do so only when they need him for something. If you are planning what I believe you’re planning, then the self appointed leader is the boy you want.”

Jane had a questioning look on her face at Charles last statement. Charles chuckled and explained. “You said you had an idea how to clear my name and may need my help, help I have offered to give you. According to all the articles I read, the best boys for petticoat punishment are those who are arrogant, cocky, full of themselves, and think they know it all. Their leader has all those character flaws, plus some. As I sat on that bench, I stared at him and never said a word. That got him upset enough to try and threaten to put me into the hospital. He even came at me at one point, but I believe when he saw the look in my eyes, that it would be bad for him if he tried, he backed off and kept mouthing off. His vanity can easily be used against him, because deep down he’s really scared.”

Jane was astonished by Charles’ analysis of the boy who claimed to be the leader. Remembering Charles wanted to go into medicine she asked, “what field of medicine are you going to study, Charles?” With a smirk on his lips, Charles told Jane, “Psychiatry.” Jane was nodding her head when she told Charles, “you’re going to be a very good psychiatrist, you already have the character for it.” Charles could see Jane forming a question that she needed to ask him. And when she asked it, he wasn’t the least bit surprised.

“Charles, how would you like to experience how it is to be a girl? You’d get a crash course in being a girl. I’d make an appointment with my salon to have your hair and nails done. They would fit you with fake breasts for a person of your age, and help teach you what you’d need to know in the short amount of time we have. We’d then go to the dress shop I use and get you fitted for dresses and other undergarments. I’m going to ask Ruth to send the leader to me and I’ll need someone to help on the inside who has your knowledge about petticoat punishment. You have the character, and training, I need to have someone who can make mistakes and not let what I tell you to do as punishment affect you. I’ll want you to act out at times, whine when I tell you to do something. Throw fits, that sort of thing. I also would like you to stay and help, as you have so far, with Francis. I can’t tell you how much she’s changed because of the way you’ve treated her. And don’t think you’ll get out of school, they’ll be lessons too.”

Jane watched as Charles put a finger to his lips, a sign that he was thinking. She was elated when he smiled and said, “my parents often say that ‘new experiences can be great teachers’. When do we start?”

continued in...
Complicit in a Lie Revisited

up
198 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting start.......

D. Eden's picture

I despise forced feminization stories, but this one has the twist that the main character is a knowing and willing accomplice. I can’t help but wonder where this is going to lead.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Excellent!

Rose's picture

Probably the most entertaining Aunt Jane story I've read. Wonderful premise.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

I do enjoy

When a trope is turned on its head. I think Tigger would enjoy your tale too. There are some obvious questions as to how things even got that far with an attorney for a parent and witnesses to give lie to the claims of the other boys but despite that the story was good fun. Some nice psychological twists that kept the story interesting.

Commentator
Visit my Caption Blog: Dawn's Girly Site

Visit my Amazon Page: D R Jehs

This Far

Daphne Xu's picture

You're right, of course. It's a serious question why Charles was even jailed. As for why Judge Ruth sent him to Aunt Jane's School, she either ignored the evidence or judged before seeing the evidence. From the series, it appears that she views Aunt Jane's School as an alternate to Juvenile detention or Reform School.

Her proper decision seems unambiguous: acquit Charles, or dismiss the charges with prejudice. Acquittal is preferred, as it can't be appealed.

-- Daphne Xu

Does this story need to continue?

From the way it ended, only the most unimaginative reader would expect Jane and Charles to fail, not only with clearing Charles, but also with anything else they may or may not take on.
Therefore, as a story, it is complete in itself.
If you feel inclined to narrate their further adventures, that is up to you, and you alone.
Thanks, and best wishes
Dave

more please

This could use a few more chapters, Please.

Vague Recollection

Daphne Xu's picture

The name "Tigger" came to mind, as did other mental images about a petticoat-punishment school for boys. That led to "Seasons of Change" and "Aunt Jane"'s "Girl's School for Wayward Boys". The first story was by Joel Lawrence. Kenneth and Judge Ruth, mentioned here, were both present in "Seasons" stories. (I've begun "Ken's Barbie", about Kenneth, the former student mentioned here, and then a newly-hired associate attorney in a law firm, coming to the rescue of the School.

I think that Charles was made too good, and too powerful -- perhaps even a Marty Stu. And, of course, Aunt Jane could never be a villain, so she's never going to be complicit in the lies told about Charles. Instead, Charles is going to treat this as an interesting experience, and Aunt Jane and Judge Ruth are going to bring the liars to justice.

About Francis: I'm concerned that Charles will become a "friend" who pushes him to accept his fate, rather than an actual friend who will support him, or at the very least listen to him and understand him.

-- Daphne Xu

where do we go from here

An unusual tale with all sorts of conflicts. I am not so worried about the inconsistences and how he's been sentenced based on the story so far but it is fiction. I would like to see the story continue because Charles is a complete enigma and it will be interesting to see how you develop his character. In many respects, I thought you had over developed him for this stage of the story but I say that not knowing what you're plans are.

I look forward to the next chapeter if there is going to be one.

Will

Hummm?

BarbieLee's picture

Two lawyer parents, security cameras, witnesses, and Charles was immediately sent to a training school for boys who had lost their way?
Something our excellent author isn't sharing with her readers?
What I found most interesting was Charles IQ and his unusual maturity in assessing the immaturity going on all around him. Who is the adult in the room? Isn't even a question a forth of the way through the story. The boy is a child prodigy in many different areas.
I admit it, I loved the different telling of the story. Looks like Charles is going to be busy teaching the teachers along with the students. Mess with him and he'll waste you mentally and physically.
Hugs Ms. Lee, actually a beautiful story.
always
Barb
Life is a gift. Treasure it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

It is a very good start to a good story

I am curious how after all of the video and eye witness testimony how Charles was sentenced at all. Especially with attorneys as parents.
One would think that this store would be more worried about a very expensive lawsuit because of that idiot guard who locked the boy in a room and threatened the minor with physical violence and questioning without an attorney or his parents. That could be a very expensive civil suit that really outweighs anything they have on him. Given Charles wasn't found with anything stolen at all and all they have is the dubious testimony of the actual thiefs. How far that goes without any other evidence.
But okay, maybe theres some corruption going on but this store is in for a very crushing civil suit over this.

I cant wait to see where this is going. That other commenter is wrong. Of course we know where its going but so what. How we get there, how he is exonerated and his experience and pretending to be a girl to do it will be an interesting journey.

But one thing. I like how you added aunt Jane in it. But she wouldn't require the boy to pose as a girl once she is certain something dirty is going on. You read about Kendra and once she was sure something dirty was going on, she ended it and let Kendra be a boy again. He only posed as a girl to get his mother to confess to setting the entire thing up.
And her helpers like Darla are always very confident of themselves. They are experienced and know how to do it. They wouldn't be frightened like Francis. She would never put a boy she wasn't sure of in that position. It sort of defeats the reason for having a helper like that.

Let me explain a little bit

Jamie Lee's picture

First, thank all of you who have posted comments, they really are appreciated.

Charles be accused of shoplifting and being illegally detained by James Conner are two separate events. Because they are separate events, but for one main reason, they would be handled separately in the courts. One would be to fight the shoplifting charges and the other a lawsuit against Taylor's for what James Conner did.

Remember, Charles was accused by the three boys of being the mastermind behind this shoplifting incident, so this could conceivably mean he's in the dock first. And because without any of the three boys confessing the lie, all the authorities have is their word.

As to the security cameras, they could only be used in the lawsuit against Taylor's. Those cameras wouldn't have been present when the supposed boss, Charles, according to all three boys, planned the shoplifting.

In the original Aunt Jane stories Juge Ruth used her gut feeling to determine which boy would benefit from a time with Jane.

It was her gut feeling, and the lack of a record of any kind, that led to Charles being sent to Jane. Remember, the theft was very close to $1000, which bumps up the crime's rating from a spanking to a serious crime.

At the time Ruth had no idea Charles knew about petticoat punishment, or things might have been different. As a result of her not knowing she couldn't tell Jane anything.

If you've read the other Aunt Jane stories, you may remember how cocky, arrogant, and full of themselves the boys sent to Jane were when they first arrived. Some were noticeably different, but most often the boy thought he was the center of the universe.

Remember too, Jane's formal education, and her going to the UK to learn about petticoat punishment. Jane has developed a method of getting the boys into girl's clothing by first getting them to give her their word of honor to do what they were told without complaint. And when the boy balked at doing what they were told to do, she'd play on their vanity by bringing up the fact they gave their word of honor.

Also remember from the Aunt Jane stories that not one boy ever asked the questions Charles asked her. Or showed real respect as Charles first showed. Or what he did when they reached Jane's car. One boy in the Aunt Jane stories even got in the front passenger seat.

There was a big problem when Jane learned about the knowledge Charles possessed, and because of what happened with Kenneth. Jane's methods would never work with Charles and her anger of never going through another Kenneth situation.

There were two options, send Charles back, in which case he'd have a record for shoplifting, something he was never involved in. Or, because of his knowledge, tell him the truth and ask for his help in getting his name cleared.

But his name could only be cleared if those three boys confessed to lying. The third boy was too scared to be at Jane's home. He was with the other two boys because the so called leader threatened him with physical violence. This boy would benefit better with a counselor, as would the second boy.

It had to be their leader who gets sent to Jane. In his trying to be tough, he'd give his word of honor just to prove how tough he was. He'd be like the boy in the other Aunt Jane story who felt he could go to the mall but didn't think about what had been done to his face at the salon or knew they'd used semi permanent makeup on him.

Questions were raised about Charles becoming a friend to Francis instead of supporting her. Again, remember what Charles knows. And how he treated Francis when he saw the effect his first question had on Francis. His memory kicked in and he then knew why Francis existed. Instead of humiliating Francis Charles told her she was stronger than she knew, and would get through it. How would a friend treated Francis if they saw how they'd upset Francis? Wouldn't a friend have gathered Francis into their arms and let Francis cry it out? Might a friend have kept their arm around Francis as they walked to Jane's car? But Charles kept his distance, and at the last told Francis it will get better.

At Jane's, Charles was in a position to help clear his name. Because of his parent's teachings and his self defence, and martial arts training, he had learned not to fear new experiences, and had the self control needed to help Jane.

Will there be additional chapters? No, the story ended to let the reader decide for themself. Could there be additional chapters? Yes, but only if the story was meant to be extended. This story has haunted me night and day for some time. And it always ended as it did in the version I posted. So it wasn't meant to go past chapter 3.

If you've read the first Aunt Jane stories then you may have no problem discerning hows things turned out with the leader of the three boys. And Charles.

Jamie Lee

Others have feelings too.

Nothing in the Videos

Daphne Xu's picture

"Charles was accused by the three boys of being the mastermind behind this shoplifting incident". Ah, okay. Nothing in the videos, or the witnesses, is even capable of refuting that accusation -- there's nothing to witness, nothing to video. All we have are the three known perpetrators accusing him of being the mastermind. In a sane world, nobody would find that sufficient to prove his guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" (stronger than "clear and convincing").

But this isn't a sane world.

And the standards of appellate review are sufficiently schizophrenic that the sheer lack of reliable proof is not likely to overturn his conviction -- even if it doesn't even meet the more-likely-than-not standard

Years ago, I read a novel about a teenage girl kidnapped and held for ransom. When the police finally came, they not only arrested the kidnappers, they also arrested her for faking her own kidnapping -- read her her rights, told her she was under arrest, and took her in. While they ultimately didn't prosecute, the thought was planted, and her family (and grandmother) treated her like a criminal. There came a point when she decided she had to play detective to find out the true mastermind. (She figured that the kidnappers themselves weren't bright enough.)

-- Daphne Xu

The Novel

Daphne Xu's picture

I found the book: "The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore" by Joan Lowery Nixon.

-- Daphne Xu

Differences

Snarfles's picture

Unfortunately, not all governments adhere to the ideal of 'Innocent until proven guilty'. Not long ago, it was illegal to be gay in Mexico. The use of chapstick by a male was considered prima face evidence. Said individual could be arrested and held 'pending trial' indefinitely. Most of those cases were resolved by a substantial bribe to the prison personnel to release their victim.

Remember something else...

Jamie Lee's picture

Daphne, remember that Taylor's wants to make an example out of Charles. The store had almost $3000 stolen or attempted stolen in that month alone.

The other thing, if none of those boys cracked then prosecutors would have to take their word about Charles. Unless Charles' dad's law firm could prove otherwise beyond a reasonable doubt.

Jamie

Others have feelings too.

"Unless Charles' dad's law

Daphne Xu's picture

"Unless Charles' dad's law firm could prove otherwise beyond a reasonable doubt." -- That's completely backwards. The prosecution is supposed to prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Unfortunately, all too often, people believe the opposite: once the notion is planted that he committed the crime, he has to disprove it. This is not only patently false, it's hugely dangerous.

"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is stronger than "clear and convincing evidence" even if by only a little bit.

Since it's manifestly not clear and convincing that the caught perpetrator's words are honest about Charles's involvement, any prosecution should have stopped right then and there, without further evidence. The videos can and should be used by the defense to establish the malice of Charles's accusers.

-- Daphne Xu

Hi Daphne

Jamie Lee's picture

The prosecutor would use the three boys as witnesses in the case against Charles. Charles's dad, and his firm, would have to prove the boys are lying or find a witness to dispute their testimony. The law firm would have to present a case that gives the court the possibility that someone other than Charles was involved when the three boys were caught. There are no witnesses, there are no videotapes or phone recordings that could be used to absolve Charles of the charges. In short, it's three lying pieces of crap smearing the good name of a boy who had nothing to do with their crime.

The store videotape would be used in the civil suit brought against Taylor's department store because of the treatment Charles received at the hands of an employee of Taylor's. It wouldn't be used to show malice against Charles, because the malice is towards those who have stolen, or attempted stealing, close to $3000 that month along.

Others have feelings too.

A new PM

Jamie Lee's picture

Not long after I posted this story I received a PM asking when the next part of this story would be posted.

At that time there wasn't any more of the story to write, what's there was all that came to me.

Recently, I received a PM from a reader who also wanted to know when more of the story would be posted, and my giving the same explanation.

They made a suggestion, which was clarified by that reader, which caused me to reread this story since I forgot what it was about.

After rereading the story a germ started forming about a second part to this story, which would clear Charles and straighten the leader of the three boys. And deal with the other two boys.

I've another story in the works so it may be a while before Complicit to a Lie Revisited, is posted.

Jamie

Others have feelings too.

Ohhhh this storybis a gripper

Samantha Heart's picture

Yes definitely needs a follow up lol :)

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Great Character!

Jamie, what a great character you have developed in Charles! I sure hope you continue this story.

Sequel on it's way

Jamie Lee's picture

I stopped writing, and much of anything else, after cataract surgery and another surgery on my left eye due to the cataract surgery.

Fast forward to 2024 and the writing contest. I was encouraged to enter a story and my brain betrayed me by bubbling a story to the surface; I initially wasn't going to enter the contest. One thing led to another and I started in on finishing the sequel to this story, a sequel I started two years ago. When it will make its appearance is soon, I'm learning more about HTML formating so it's taking a bit of time.

Something to clear up why Ruth sent Charles to Jane despite the lack of evidence. Ruth was going to dismiss all charges against Charles when George Strom, CEO of Taylor's, threaten to have Charles charged as an adult in Federal Court and add the RICO act on top of the existing charges.

To keep Charles out of Federal Court, she, Charles, and Charles' parents, decided Jane's would be the safest place for Charles.

Keeping looking for chapter 1 of, Complicit In a Lie Revisited. It coming to a page near you real soon.

Jamie Lee

Others have feelings too.

A wonderful story.

Sunflowerchan's picture

I've read, and reread this story several times over the last few days, searching for words powerful enough and strong enough to convay my feelings. I will confess I'm new to the "Aunt Jane" stories. This being the first story I've read in the shared world several wonderful writers here have made. Despite this, I found this story charming, and as always I found your prose charming. Your descriptions brief and to point and the story as a whole a delightful early morning read. Thank you Jamie Lee for sharing this wonderful story with us and giving us some insight into your creative mind!

Thank you Sunflower

Jamie Lee's picture

Thank you very much for the comment, Sunflower. Many don't know my lack of sure-footedness in the use of grammar and writing itself. I do the best my gray matter allows, or the nerves going from said matter to the digits; sometimes there's a miscommunication between the two and even I have to stop and wonder what I was trying to say.

I'm always amazed when I receive a comment like yours because I often lack faith in what I do write. But comments like yours help me see I am doing a better job writing than I often feel. I'm glad you enjoyed the story and maybe you'll like Complicit in a Lie Revisited, chapters 1-19 are posted.

Jamie

Others have feelings too.

Apart from my own appreciation

Andrea Lena's picture

for your talent, i must admit I cannot imagine anyone more supportive and encouraging than Sunflower! She truly is a wonderful writer herself, but she's also a great asset to this site! Thanks to Jamie Lee and her for being here for us!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Complicit in a Lie Revisited

Jamie Lee's picture

Many wanted a sequel and at the time of writing this story, no sequel was planned. However, two years ago I got an idea for a sequel titled, Complicit in a Lie Revisited. It continues with Charles now being at Seasons House and the events Charles experiences and the help he gives because that is what he will do when it's needed. Not only does he help the current girl, but another girl when he becomes a makeup model for Carolyn at the salon. And even though Toby Camber put him in his current situation, he even helps Toby after a rather heated diatribe. And he even helps Jane when she's in despair over the entire situation.

Chapters 1-19 are posted and I hope you'll take the time to read Complicit in a Lie Revisited.

Jamie

Others have feelings too.