Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 591

Printer-friendly version
       
Writing Drivel
(aka Bike)
Part 591
by Angharad
       
Snowflake_300h.jpg

The next morning, I woke up suddenly remembering I had to take Trish to see her shrink, Dr Felicity ‘Fliss’ Edwards. I checked my diary, and it was right. Damn, I was going to do all sorts of things, plait her hair and so on as well as try and appear beyond reproach myself. Either my arm was improving or my pain threshold had suddenly risen. I showered and the warm water seemed to ease things a bit, The girls came in with me and they sort of dried themselves enough to be able to go out to Simon, who helped finish them and then dress them.

He checked I was okay, which I was, before going back downstairs. I managed to dress with a little help from Trish. I wore my YSL suit and the white lacy blouse. Okay in March it was optimistic, but with only a short walk to the clinic from the car park it would be fine. I had a brolly in the car anyway.

“Are you going to drive yourself, then?” asked Si.

“Ye…oh bugger, I can’t can I?” I probably could, but if I’d had an accident, the insurance would not have been too impressed. “Could you? Please.”

“So do we take Meems with us, or leave her with Tom?”

“If you don’t mind walking her about in the hospital, she can come too.” I didn’t like the idea of her being left out because she was the baby of our family–Puddin’ isn’t our baby, and isn’t home yet anyway.

“Yeah, okay. I’ll take the portable DVD player and some kids films, just in case.”

“Post is here, Cathy,” Tom handed me a couple of envelopes. One as from the taxman–just what I wanted, and the other was from Smedley Hydro, whatever that was. I opened it and to my joy inside was my new birth certificate.

I pulled Simon into the kitchen and after shutting the door, showed him the document. “Wow, now you really are female. Congratulations, Miss Watts. He gave me a loving kiss and hugged me gently.

“Thanks, Si. Sometimes I wonder what I see in you, then you kiss me like that, and my tummy turns to jelly.”

He looked slightly bemused. “Was that an insult or a compliment?”

“It was a declaration of love, you meathead.”

“Oh, right, glad you told me. Put that somewhere safe. I’ll go and distract the girls while you show Tom.” He pecked me on the cheek, “I’m really pleased for you, end of the journey eh?”

“Well this part of it, yes. Thanks for coming along with me, it’s been a great help.”

“I wouldn’t have missed it. Now we can get married.”

“Once we can agree upon a few things.”

“I surrender, you can have your little country church as long as we do a repeat up in Scotland.”

“Okay, I accept your surrender and it’s conditions.”

He winked at me then went out to supervise the girls. He was growing up at last and turning into a very good parent. I went and showed Tom, who was absolutely delighted at my piece of paper. I thought it ironic, that a non-medical condition, has a medical treatment but a legal cure. I had now officially changed sex. I was now legally female. Part of me wanted to cry in relief, but that would have wrecked my mascara, so I managed to hold back.

“I’m going to take us out for dinner tonight to celebrate,” Tom chuckled.

“What do we tell the kids?”

“We don’t tell them anything yet, you don’t know how long they’ll be with you. If it’s long term, then it would probably be worthwhile, but otherwise, would they really understand anyway? I suppose Trish might, but then again, she might not. Let her see you as a female role model, rather than a transsexual one.”

“Okay, Daddy mine, I accept your wise counsel.” I opened the other one and it was a letter from the taxman stating that from now on my records would be held by Cardiff 1, and would not be available to any other tax office in full.

I found it a bit stable door, the horse had long since bolted, my local tax office knew about my change of status anyway, I’d written to them two years ago, so did Social Security and all the other official bodies who needed to know. So the big secret was hardly that in the first place. Oh well, I suppose they were trying to be protective of our records, so I wouldn’t complain. Ten years ago, people were still throwing themselves on the barricades of the European Court at Strasbourg, trying to get equal rights for transsexuals, so this was progress.

I managed with a struggle, to style my hair and do my makeup. I still had to use the sling, but at least I didn’t need surgery like Lancie boy. Still this time I was leading him, I broke my collar bone first; he led they way in having his nuts off before I did. I sniggered at my own little joke. I had no idea if he had or not, but presumed he’d had to with cancer of the goolies. It wasn’t funny really, but it had caught me on the funny bone.

I tidied up Trish and she looked quite smart and presentable as a four/five year old girl. She was actually quite a pretty kid and not at all boyish in looks. “Where are we going, Mummy?”

“To see Dr Edwards, you know, your shrink.”

“Oh,” she said and her expression changed from happy to glum.

“What’s the problem, don’t you like her?”

“She made me cry last time.”

“Did she? Would you like me to sit in?”

“Oh yes, will you, Mummy?”

“I’ll try my hardest,” I smiled back at her. I squirted some of her scent on her, and did myself with my own. At least we looked and smelt presentable.

Simon drove us to the hospital and he and Meems stayed in the car, she was quite happy to watch a cartoon on the DVD player, so Trish and I braved the squally wind to walk to the children’s clinic.

“Patricia Watts to see Dr Edwards.”

“You mean Patrick?”

Here we go again. “I thought this had been sorted. This is my daughter, Patricia, if you call her anything else, I shall create such a stink the smell will last for years. Do you understand?”

“Are you threatening me?” asked the bristling receptionist.

“No, I wouldn’t dream of it. I am just stating the law of cause and effect. Piss me off and deal with the consequences.”

“I’m not sure who you think you are?”

“My family are quite important and can make lots of trouble.”

“I’m sure they are, Mrs Watts.”

“Try Cameron, as in Lords and Ladies.”

“Oh,” she coloured up.

“So if you could just amend her records, after all it should say preferred or calling name, and hers is Patricia.”

“Of course.”

“Thank you so much, you’ve been a great help.” I smiled sweetly, well like a tigress who’s just eaten an antelope and is going off for a sleep. The receptionist was furiously typing on the computer, I hoped changing Trish’s notes, but probably warning the good doctor, that Trish’s parent was a bit of a handful. But then she knew that from our conversation on the telephone. Now I was warmed up, I was quite looking forward to the next obstacle and clearing it.

Trish was sitting reading a children’s book to herself, but out loud, blissfully unaware of my campaign of attrition with the hospital records people. I would speak to Dr Rose after this, unless Dr Edwards was able to sort it. After that, all hell would break loose as I pointed Simon at them and said, “Kill.” He can write a nasty letter, and I’m sure having a title counts in this sort of thing. I had been careful not to call myself Lady Cameron–okay, a barrister would accuse me of implying it–so my conscience was clear, sort of.

I sat next to my foster daughter and let her read to me, while I waited for the next move to happen. It didn’t take long…

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Is that a cliffhanger or not?

Hard to tell. Maybe the receptionist was emailing security; getting them there to drag away this dangerous psycho foster mom. Then again, may Cathy is going to really dump on the doctor. I guess we find out tomorrow. At least it isn't like falling off a cliff, building, or bike.

A couple more great exchanges with Simon in this one. Loved this little conversation,

"...then you kiss me like that, and my tummy turns to jelly.”
He looked slightly bemused. “Was that an insult or a compliment?”
“It was a declaration of love, you meathead.”

Nice chapter overall. Hope that continues. Cathy seems to be in good spirits so far but that is too easily changed. Guess she'd restrain herself a bit around Trish.

Congrats Cathy on the new birth certificate.

What I Don't Understand…

…is what poor, unfortunate Cliff has done to deserve these repeated hangings? I mean, has he committed murder? :p

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Wrong story

Angharad's picture

Cliff appears in Charlotte's tale.

I've been murdering the English language for years.

Angharad :)

Angharad

You always do this...

Maybe Dr. Rose should be standing by, just in case his medical services are required?

PB

Smedley Hydro

Puddintane's picture

Is the Family Records Centre, housed in an old resort hotel and spa.

Here's their newsletter explanation:

Smedley Hydro

Many people have asked about the unusual name of the building where their certificates are produced.

The building started life in the mid-nineteenth century as Birkdale College, a school for the education of young gentlemen. In August 1876, John Smedley formed the Birkdale Park (Southport) Smedley Hydropathic Company. Smedley was successful in developing the hydropathic movement which advocated the benefits of applying water externally to the body.

The company extended the building to accommodate 120 to 140 visitors and opened its doors for business in May 1877. Unfortunately little is known about the first years of the twentieth century at Smedley Hydropathic establishment except that it was closed from 1924 to 1928.

In 1932 the Smedley Hydro Hotel was opened, standing on five acres with croquet lawns, putting greens and conservatories. Bedrooms had hot and cold water and gas or coal fires. There was also a ballroom and a theatre used for plays, concerts and dances.

With the outbreak of the Second World War the building was requisitioned by the government for the purpose of National Registration, coming under the control of the Registrar General for England and Wales, the head of the General Register Office.

Inside, the building has been modernised but many of the rooms are still known by their old names. The beautiful sprung floor in the ballroom is covered with carpet and used for the storage of ledgers. The old oak-panelled smoking room is now in everyday use as a meeting/conference room.

Approximately one thousand people now work in Smedley Hydro with over half employed within Certificate Services Branch.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Smedley Hydro.

That brought me up short because Smedley's Hydro is a building in Matlock, Derbyshire that was once a health spa but is now the offices of Derbyshire County Council. I wonder why Cathy's birth certificate should come from there. Though Google tells me there's another in Southport. I wonder if there's a connection. Smedley was a Matlock mill owner when the Derwent Valley was a hot bed in the industrial revolution. Interesting.

It's never occurred to me before but if Armstrong is goolieless then where does he get the testosterone which is clearly important considering an excess of it can get a rider (Floyd Landis) disqualified from the Tour de France. Presumably he's like Hitler and is monorchic (or whatever :) ).

A mini cliff-hanger here. Must read Bike tomorrow and see how Fliss and Trish get on together. (Thinks: could they form a double act?)

Thanks Angharad. See, I'm still an addict :)

Geoff

It's Southport

Angharad's picture

I have one of their letters myself, so it's not all fiction, neither is the bit about the Tax Office, Cardiff 1, deals with us weirdos. The Registrar General's staff are super people and very efficient, the turn around in my case was under a week and they inform the Revenue who wrote and told me I didn't need to do anything, it would all happen automatically. The tax records are so secure, they won't accept online tax returns - the only other people accorded this level of security are MPs and the Royal Family. See, I keep telling you I'm well connected but none of you believe me.

Angharad
(With fingers crossed).

Angharad

How's that?

How can you be well-connected, you don't have a mains plug fitted anymore? ;-)

KJT

"All lies in jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest"

The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Simon, KILL! :)

No, Cathy can cause more than enouigh trouble on her own fot the shrink and company. Maybe he Blue Light can do something too.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Blue Light Special

Yah, I can see it now "Blue Light Special in Dr Edwards office; bring a mop! STAT!" as Cathy releases blue mage fire on the bit.....
Oops sorry, retracting claws.

"Patrick, you can come in now," said Dr. Edwards.

Edwards and staff seem determined to deny the obvious, their patient's gender identity and presentation. I fully expect Edwards to willfully call for "Patrick." The only thing I'm not sure about is whether Cathy will simply behead Edwards, or disembowel her first. Figuratively speaking, of course. Especially with one arm in a sling. ;)

Dr. Rose

Dr. Rose may be waiting in that line. This patient has manifested symptoms due to this kind of bullying, and yet she (the shrink) is insistent on continuing it. It shows a low level of professionalism.

… non-medical condition… medical treatment… legal cure

Rhona McCloud's picture

“I thought it ironic, that a non-medical condition, has a medical treatment but a legal cure.” It is phrases like that which keep me reading.

I wondered about the phrase's origins so Googled "non-medical condition" "medical treatment" "legal cure" and guess what came up? Bike 591

Beautifully phrased Angharad

Rhona McCloud

Stella who

Sure it's a more informative story in the notes section. It seems that UK has the same agencys that us 'Mericans have
I agree with Rhona's note.
But doesn't corrective birth certs come from the county ? Nice to hear the Tax man there keeps things close.

Cefin