A Purge of Emotion

Printer-friendly version

A Purge of Emotion

This story is dark because I am having thoughts of ending my own life. I am hoping that by doing so symbolically here, I might avoid doing so in actuality, in the nearest garage. Please bear with me, and if you feel so inclined… please pray for me. At this point, I really don’t want to live anymore. Normally I welcome all comments, but in this case… whatever you do, please, if you feel inclined to comment, please leave only kind words. I assure you that I am painfully aware of my shortcomings because I have been cut too many times by people rudely pointing them out to possibly be unaware of them. If you feel the urge to reprimand perhaps parts of my attitude or my beliefs, then please know that your words will most certainly cause a great deal of harm — of a magnitude that neither you nor I can predict right now - and will be of absolutely no help whatsoever. Thank you for your consideration.

Purge of Emotion

I am sitting in my arm chair, motionless, staring into nothing, when it becomes clear that it is time. I have no more tears to cry for the emotional pain I’ve endured, and that is how I know. I recall a quote from the movie G. I. Jane, with Demi Moore, stating that pain is your friend because if you feel pain you know you’re still alive. But this night, I no longer feel the pain. I haven’t the energy left within me to hurt.

My tear ducts are dry as an ancient lake bed that has seen no flow for millenia, now clogged and overgrown with weeds and thistles. My heart is empty, containing no more than blood and tissue. Gone are the sister reservoirs of tears and emotion that once flowed in tandem.

I look around the room, at the keyboards, once an emotional retreat, a place to write music and play it and sing it with passion. My eyes briefly light upon the computer, the repository of my fiction. I skim the labels of the movies beneath the wood-and-glass coffee table and the books upon it, formerly a source of inspiration or solace which, alas, has failed to save me from falling over the edge into the abyss. Neither the poster from the symphony given as a gift, nor the dollar bill folded into a butterfly by a kind stranger rescue me from darkness.

As I stare at the darkened screen of the turned-off television, what’s left of my mind runs through the possible ways I might save myself from my own hand. I think of the backup plan kept filed away in some fold of gray cells beneath my skull but I discard it out of hand. I no longer wish to be saved. I can only imagine the psychiatrists at the hospital wishing only to rid themselves of their newest problem with as little financial expenditure to the hospital as possible, perhaps caring about their newest patient, but dismissive of her travails as a tragic but unavoidable part of their jobs, telling themselves that they are only avoiding unemployment, consoling themselves with the rhetoric that no doctor can save all of her patients, willing to release me without real help seventy-two hours later just so long as the roof is not removed from over their children’s heads. Knowing from past experience that the pharmaceuticals I expect them to prescribe utterly fail to solve problems, instead deadening their consumer to them, I reject that avenue at once.

The only thing that might take away my pain being the one thing I am ostensibly not allowed in this life, I arrive at the same, lone, inexorable option. I can spend the next few decades living with inescapable pain or I can do what the God I still manage to believe in will not. I can end my misery.

They say suicide is the only unforgivable sin, but I disagree. God, after all, is the one who allowed me to taste such vile, bitter despair in the first place. Surely He would not allow humans to know this torment without realizing that some of them would be simply unable to cope and would therefore end their own miserable existences. Surely, if begrudgingly, He must accept such acts, though devastating to those left behind, as an unfortunate consequence of ordering the poor souls’ own guardian angels to stand down and allow the tragedy to unfold, as expressed in another author’s dream, just as the psychiatrists in the hospital ward must release their patients in seventy-two hours despite giving no real help, no real relief, no real solutions. Surely such unfortunates are not to be deprived of forgiveness, for to allow this torture and punish those who cannot endure would make God a cruel, loveless hypocrite of the worst kind and magnitude.

There is no purpose that I can serve in this world if I cannot be freed from my emotional pain. I can not be of help to anyone as long I am wracked with agony, for I have nothing to give. I can not be a rock for another while buried alive beneath a rockslide. I am useless and hopeless and I have seen my last day on this miserable earth.

I rise from my chair and sit before my computer one last time. I call up the suicide note I have already written and print it out, the hum and bustle of my printer the only sound, the glowing computer screen the only light. With a sigh as heavy as an ocean, I stand and walk downstairs to my garage. I sit in my car, place the note on the front passenger seat and roll down my windows. I start the engine, wedge a plunger against the gas pedal, recline the seat all the way, and stare at the roof of my car.

Why God? Why is there no other way? Why do You allow such pain in your daughter, who has only darkness and solitude when she most needs a hug and a shoulder to cry on… and with no discernible end but this? Why didn’t You make me stronger? Why didn’t you give me the social skills I need to find a partner? Why did you allow my genital surgery to be botched? I did my homework, damn it, and it wasn’t enough! The asshole screwed it up! Sure, it’s a hell of a lot better than a penis, but what good is it if any partner would take one look at my new equipment and say, “I’m sorry, but I can’t make love to that. It kind of kills the mood, you know?” Why did You allow me to go through this life without sufficient self-confidence to survive this heartless world. I mean, damn it, I would think the least You could have done is provide me with someone to talk to when I needed it, but no, I went through it all without anybody who could understand — or even fucking believe me half the time. Not only did You allow me to be inundated with unbearable pain, You allowed me to be engulfed in it utterly alone. I am genuinely sorry that I cannot go on any longer, but after all, it was You who made me human; it was You who chose not to provide me with the strength to survive.

My nostrils fill with the odor of exhaust fumes, or perhaps it’s the smell of unburned fuel making its way into the exhaust. I cough, as my lungs beg for oxygen, but I do not care.

As I wait in my thirteen year old Subaru, I am reminded that some say a car, when seen in a dream, represents one’s life, the general condition of the car acting as an indication of the health of one's life, the road beneath it — or lack thereof - signifying the ease or difficulty of one’s journey through life. A car in a garage represents no progress at all, as in being sidetracked in life.

My fairly beat up car, ready to give out after thirteen years of faithful service, is now in such dire need of work that it can no longer be repaired, for the cost is greater than the worth of the vehicle.

Sounds like my soul, beat up, weary, ready to give out, and beyond repair.

This is my last thought as I slip from consciousness, and soon, into the next world… still… utterly… alone. Nobody comes to save me. Nobody is there to turn off the car or open the garage door. Nobody is there. Just like always.

The End

To those of you who made it to the end of this ridiculously sad tale, thank you for reading. I hope that writing this out succeeds in releasing enough tension that the remainder is bearable.

[ Other Stories By Mona Lisa ]

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Speaking as one who's been there,

although not for the same reasons, I can only tell you that I feel your pain and I hear your words. I know what it's like to give up... I almost did some years ago.

I didn't though, obviously. A couple of girls from far, far away from me, convinced me that life IS worth living. There are many here who have contemplated the "final solution," only to find that it's no solution at all. It might put an end to your suffering, but the pain it causes those who you leave behind, is awful and always causes them to wonder, "why didn't I see this coming?" "Why didn't I help her?" "Why didn't I hear her pain and heartbreak?"

I beg you to reconsider. Talk with a priest, or a minister, or a counselor. Talk with someone you trust. Sharing a problem, halves it. There are many here who would be more than glad to talk with you and try to help you, if you'll let them.

Please honey. Too many of us try and succeed at what you are contemplating, and each one we lose, hurts us all, more than I can tell you.

Love and hugs,
Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Thank you for reaching out to me, Catherine.

It's Pride weekend, here in San Francisco, and I have discovered it's every bit as depressing as the holidays. One cannot go to any of the Pride events without being surrounded by happy-looking couples and it's just really hard for the broken-hearted terminally single. I hope that my pain might ease after this weekend is over. I just don't know.

I do not want to die, Catherine. I just cannot see any other way to end this excruciating pain in my heart. Singlehood is not for everyone. It is definitely not for me.

I'm trying to hang on, to be sure, but every day is a fight and I am so very tired of fighting.

I would be happy to talk to people around here, though... if I can figure out how.

Thanks again for reaching out. I really appreciate it.

Hugs and love,
Lisa

Life Lines

A friend of mine just wrote an article entitled "Living with Depression and Suicidal Thoughts" for our little religious society's monthly bulletin. In it, she included a list of resources. We're in New York, but I'm sure they'll talk to anyone and perhaps have numbers for local resources nearer you.

Samaritan of NY (24 hour suicide Hotline) 212-673-3000

Youth Hotline of NYC 800-246-4646

LifeNet 800-LIFENET (800-543-3638)

Asian LIFENET 877-990-8585

Spanish LIFENET 877-298-3373

Alcoholics Anonymous 212-647-1680

Domestic Violence Hotline 212-577-7777

On a possibly unrelated note, Catriona Morrison, PhD, Leeds University, published a piece in Psychopathology linking heavy internet use to depression. While not conclusive, it does raise the point that "extensive internet use is a factor in causing depression -- or it could be that depressed people are more strongly drawn to the internet." [quote from Bottom Line Personal]

I hope it helped

Thanks for sharing how you're feeling with us. Many of us have experience of wanting it all to end. I don't know of any answers that take it away.

I don't know how God views suicide but I do know that God really does love you - as painful as even that can be. I will keep you in my prayers.

I'm going to agree with the

I'm going to agree with the people here, but from a different standpoint: I don't think there's a God, but that's all the more reason NOT to kill yourself. If there's nothing after death, there is no hope. As long as you're alive, things CAN get better. When you're dead, that's it. Poof. You'll never suffer...but you'll never know happiness, or love, or excitement, or anything ever again.

So don't kill yourself. It's not worth throwing everything away, however little you may have.

A Purge of Emotion

Mona Lisa, I here your cry and hope that this story helps you. There are other ladies who have been there, before. I hope that you find friends here who will support you and be there when you need their help. I offer you my friendship without reservations.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thank you to all who responded!

It touched my heart to read your replies. I have such dark hours in my life sometimes, but I have been able to pull through them. This time, again, I've managed to get past the worst of it. Today, in San Francisco, is Pride Sunday and I marched in the parade along with the church I've been going to for three weeks. It's been a great spiritual home so far and I'm glad I found the place. I think it will go a long way in keeping me around for a while. Plus, I spent two or three hours with a lovely girl whom I hope to get to know better and that was a big help, too.

Life never ceases to amaze me. When I stepped off the light rail on my way to the parade I thought I was about to have a really lousy day, but it turned around in a big way - and the perfect sunny weather didn't hurt, either! I must remember that you just never know. Things don't always turn out as one might expect. Life may have a way of popping one's balloon, but it is equally good at throwing pleasant surprises in one's direction.

Anyway, writing out that story did help me vent and release tension and I am feeling better today. I've even got a smile on my face. I will do my best to keep it there.

Thanks again, everyone!

Lisa

Dear Mona Lisa

Dear Lisa,

Been there, done that, worn out the T shirt. I agree with "Visiter" - life is extra precious ( "My Precious", I hiss to myselfs like the Gollum we iss!) when one knows there is only the one go at it. Also important is to talk with other people - "a problem shared is a problem halved" is an old saying that actually is true. When my first marriage fell apart after my third daughter was born and then died in a dreadfully painful, short life, I felt as though I had had enough, but I then found this saying to be so true, i went around unloading my unbearable burden of pain and problems onto anyone and everyone I met, until I had gotten rid of nearly all of it, and there was almost nobody left to talk to. It did not take long to come out of the "I want to die" - even though by then a number of people I knew were wishing I WOULD die! Another useful ploy, that I know now but did not then, was this - I say to myself "One of these days you will have gotten over this, so why not start now?" I learned this one after my second marriage broke up. It is relatively seldom now that anything much can touch me. Everything that does not kill you makes you stronger. Life the Universe and Everything is there as a rotten dirty joke on everyone and everything in it. It's the only way the maths and physics of it add up. The only way it all makes any sense at all or has any meaning is as a joke, so laugh at it. "Laugh and the World laughs with you, cry and you cry alone." Not that there is anything wrong with crying - if you dont experience the downs of living you cannot properly appreciate the ups.

I hope some of these mottos or proverbs or sayings can help you. Good luck, there may be light at the end of the tunnel - it's most likely the Train coming towards you ! :)

Briar

Briar

Be There

I can't say I know what you're going through, no one but you can know that. I can say I've been close to there, as recent as two years ago. I was to the point of trying to figure out how I would do it, when my youngest son came into my room when he heard me crying.

What I can say is, if you want I'll e-mail you my phone number. If nothing else I can listen, and if you want, pray.

Thank you for sharing, and even more for reaching out. If you want, I'll be there.

Beth

been there hun

i only wish i could give you some magic answer, but all i can say is hold on. you are worthwhile, and you add to the world, even if you cant see it. And I hope you can find someone who can look past the flaws you see in yourself, and see the beautiful person within. And dont hesitate to call if you need to talk. huggies from me.

DogSig.png

Glad it helped!

I've done much the same more than once. Like some of the others who posted here, I've most definitely been there, and not that long ago.

Anything I can do to help, I will, you have only to ask.

Sean_face_0_0.jpg

Abby

Battery.jpg

I hope that made you feel a bit better

'Cause you sound way, WAY too close to doing it.

"May God bless you and keep you
May the Lord make his face to shine upon you
And grant you Peace."