How to Take the Kill Shot Part-3

Printer-friendly version
How to Take the Kill Shot -
Part Three

by:
Enemyoffun

Jonas Oliver's life has been turned upside down. While on vacation his parents are murdered, he's stranded on a deserted island and all he can think about is revenge. The only tools he has are his intellect, his overwhelming sense of right and wrong and his skill with a bow.

-----

Author's Note: Here's Ch. Four and Five. Ch. 4 has a great big time jump but it was necessary to get the story moving...its also kind of great because I've set up the idea of flashbacks so there's always the possibility of going back to the island. I'd like to thank djkauf for the excellent editing.Green Arrow is copyrighted and trademarked by DC Comics.

-----

Chapter Four:

After killing the boar I kind of felt less like myself and more like someone else. I’m not sure who that someone was but it gave me a new purpose in life. I wonder if that’s what happened to young hunters from primitive tribes when they were tasked with something like that. Killing that boar changed something inside of me. It didn’t make me feel like a man but it made me rethink my life. It was kind of sad too. A few days later I went wandering and came across a group of boars, there had to be at least twenty or more. They were living in a clearing, there were several adults, but there were babies too. They looked so cute compared to their elders. It was then that I realized that I robbed someone of their Dad. It made me sad because in the end I was no different than the drug dealers.

I had an epiphany I think. My vow had meaning. I would never again kill needlessly, nor could I stand by and watch others do it too. Sure I had to kill to survive but I’d only kill what I needed and hopefully nature would take care of the rest.

I skinned the boar, made a fire, and ate well that night. I gathered water from the ocean and used one of my mother’s shirts to drain the salt from it. I salted the boar meat. I’m not sure where I learned it from but I knew that salting meat preserved it for a while. It lasted too. I’m not sure how long but I think I had it for weeks.

Weeks, I think it’s been weeks.

The days are molding into one another now. If I had been a normal guy like Tom Hanks I would have been thinner with a beard and longer hair. But I’m not a man and I’m not normal. I got two out of three though. I was thinner except the fat wasn’t gone, it was moving places. I may have mentioned how I had a girl’s butt, well the one before was miniscule compared to the one now. I’m not sure but I think my butt’s at least twice the size. In fact it was so big now that my bikini bottoms no longer fit. I had to put on a pair of my mother’s underwear and shorts. My chest was bigger too. It wasn’t ginormous like Mia’s fake chest at the dance but it was bigger. My bikini top was starting to strain a bit and the strap was cutting into my flesh. Unfortunately there were no bras in my mother’s case.

I didn’t realize that it was my female hormones changing my body so I started exercising. I developed a routine. I started doing pushups in the morning, running in the afternoon and sit-ups in the evening. I alternated it every few days only it didn’t matter which I did or in what order. It was hard at first but then it became easy. I’m not sure when I started to notice the muscles but I did notice they were different than Roy’s. He was all bulging while I was lean and slim. I had the washboard abs but my pecs weren’t huge and my arms did look like tumors---not that Roy’s did. I was upset at first, not looking like the Terminator. But the more I worked out the more I realized that in a place like this it was bad to be huge.

A lot of my muscle came from island exploring.

I abandoned the oasis and the tree copse and moved north. After a few weeks of living here and there, drinking sparsely and eating salted boar meat, I finally found what I was looking for. The island had a little stream. I followed it for a few days until it led me to another little oasis. It was a lake, a massive one. Not as big as the one in my backyard but it was still impressive. Better yet, it was right at the base of the mountain. There was this freshwater waterfall running into it and the water was so crystal clear I could see my reflection in it.

My reflection startled me at first. When I first got to the lake it had been a couple weeks since I’d seen myself and when I saw the blonde haired girl staring back at me I was a bit floored. It was still me but there were subtle changes…I think. The girl in the water had a softer face, high cheekbones and I think her nose was a bit smaller than mine. Her hair was definitely longer. It was past my shoulders now and in my eyes. My mother always wanted me to grow it out but I always managed to keep it slightly androgynous. I liked long hair, but long as in guy standards---which to me meant down to my shoulders. The hair on me now was still about that long but it looked softer, shiny but dirty too.

Besides the changes, I kept myself busy.

I built a shelter, which took about a week---I think.

After my first initial sojourn, I went back to the beach but from a different peninsula. This beach was a gold mine. I found a lot of empty bottles, lots of plastic and driftwood and lots of useless consumer junk. It was funny but I never realized how much crap I had until I could no longer use it. A lot of the stuff I found on the beach was useless but there were some good things. On one trip I found my best tool yet: it was a machete but without the handle. It had a real dull blade but I sharpened it quickly enough. I also found a green tarp; it was at least five by five, about my height and in pretty good condition. I did some editing to it and made myself a cape/rain poncho. It was pretty wicked and it also helped me when the cold winds came blowing through.

I found a lot of other useful things on the beach. I found this old fish net and when I looked at it I had this image of an arrow, capable of spreading a net on a target. It was so cool but the more I thought about it, the more I realized it would never work. I kept the idea in the back of my head though. I wondered if it was possible to modify arrows to do different things. I know Robin Hood never did but he didn’t live in the modern age like us. Another image popped into my head: one of a man dressed in green, running around the city, fighting crime and helping people. It was an interesting concept, but it was crazy too.

I did use the net. Even though it was a little battered, I was able to fix it and use it for fishing. After getting my machete, I converted the metal shard into a spear. I attached it to a long branch and used it to spear fish. I was a little rusty and it took lots of practice but I pulled it off eventually. Now I’m a pretty decent spear fisher.

A few days after my first bow broke, I resolved to make another. This time I took my time and did it right. It turns out that there were a lot of trees on the island that were perfect for bow making. I found one that was like yew but was more sturdy and flexible. I took my time crafting the bow. I made sure I kept the wood moist and with the machete, I was able to carve it to give it a more bow-like shape. It took me several days to get it right, instead of the several hours like before. I perfected the string too. I actually found a tree that I was able to scrape some fibers from. I learned this from BB too. It took me forever but I was able to twist and braid the fibers into a practical and much stronger string that I ever could with a vine.

The arrows became a task. I realized how weak the stone arrowheads were. I still liked the idea of the green stone but I needed to perfect that too. I found my answer in scrap metal. A lot of it was washed up here and there. I gathered as much as I could. Then I carved an arrowhead mold into a thick piece of wood. I burned the wood, melted the metal until I filled the mold with it. I crushed some of the green stone with a large rock, sprinkling it into the metal. The arrowheads weren’t green anymore but they were a lot stronger than before. I made a lot more too: about twenty. I used the same process to make the arrows but switched from seagull feathers to a more colorful variety.

I found a bird on the island that had bright colorful feathers. I used those to make the fletch on my arrows. I tried to use mainly green ones, but they were in low supply.

With a proper bow and arrow, I became a better hunter. I tried to avoid killing the boars whenever possible, but I killed a few every now and then. I mainly stuck to killing chickens and other small game. I found that my new home was teeming with life. Not just birds either. Most of the animals hid further inland. There was a dozen different little rodents, none bigger than raccoons, but they easy to kill and had a fair amount of meat. My diet wasn’t just fish and meat though. There was a lot of fruit I was able to pick from trees. Most of it was of the tropical variety which I never really cared for before but I abided by Buck’s first rule.

After arriving at my permanent home, I went about building a shelter. I didn’t do anything real elaborate. I built a small hut out of thick branches. I tied them together using real thick vines and I made a roof by thatching huge fern leaves together. It wasn’t the greatest place but it was enough for my needs. I retired the net form fishing and turned it into a hammock. My mother’s suitcase had a place of honor as did the picture of us. I often went to sleep every night staring at it, dreaming about that day. It killed me that I’d never have another day like it. I would often think about the guys who killed my parents and my anger would get the better of me. I carved a rough likeness of the bastard who killed my mother, into a tree, and used it for target practice. Though I still refused to take the kill shot I did put every single arrow into his ugly forehead. In real life there was no way I could kill him but it helped me work out my frustrations.

It bothered me that men like them were allowed to walk around. The world was filled with dangerous people and nobody cared. In Star City alone, the crime rate was astronomical. There were drug dealers and rapists and petty criminals running all over the city. The police were overwhelmed. There was too much crime and they were spread too thin. Someone needed to help them, someone needed to stand up to all those bastards and put them in their place.

But my current task was to climb the mountain.

I’d been debating it for weeks---at least I think it’s been weeks. I’ve been trying to find the perfect way to do it. For a few days I tried to figure how to climb. I had no rope and nothing to climb the rock face with but my hands. Looking up it was a sheer rock face, I could see places to grab a hold, but I wasn’t really confident in my abilities to climb it.

I’ve only gone climbing once; it was one of those fake rock walls….

>-------------------------------------------------->

“Why are we doing this again?” I asked as we pedaled our bikes down the street.

Roy sighed. He told me why, but I still didn’t believe him. Apparently it was to help us unwind after a grueling school year. School was over with, it ended yesterday. Now the two of us had the whole summer to slum around. My family and I weren’t leaving for Florida until sometime at the end of July. It was supposed to be sooner but a project of my father’s went a little behind schedule. Roy claimed he was going to be bored all summer, what with me in Florida and most of his teammates off at baseball camp or something. I personally think he was out to get revenge on me for the dance.

The day after the dance he called me, pissed that Mia had screwed with him. He seemed to think I had something to do with it and we were playing some messed up game. I talked him down and told him it was all her. I reminded him who Mia was and how she danced to the beat of her own drummer. That seemed to calm him down but he was still a bit mad. I couldn’t blame him; I would have been pissed at her too. I was kind of miffed at her but I was miffed at him too. After he found out who she was, he completely ignored her. I know they hated each other, but he could have at least been polite to her. I realize she wasn’t the one he wanted to take but at least he could have tried to be civil.

I asked him the same question again but he didn’t listen or refused to answer. Roy liked to do crazy and sporting things, usually dragging me off on them. Today it was rock climbing, last month he tried to talk me into bungee jumping. Luckily we were too young for that one. I’m not sure what his beef was but as long as I’d known him Roy was a bit of a thrill seeker. I think it might have been because of his dad. Roy’s lifetime dream was to grow up and be a firefighter. He said it was because his dad died in a fire trying to save people. I’d always wanted to do something in law enforcement. I wanted to help people too but I didn’t need to put myself anywhere near fire to do it.

The rock climbing wall was actually inside the Wildcat Gym. It was this ultra extreme sporting center. It was a combination gym, boxing arena, and karate dojo. It was run by this big old guy named Ted, but everyone called him The Wild Cat. He was apparently some big war hero. He had the medals to prove it; there was a bunch of them framed on his office wall. Ted was a mixed martial arts expert, who’d had more concussions and broken bones than anyone---or so they say. A lot of the Gym regulars say he has “Nine Lives” because of all the scraps he gets himself out of. Ted was a decent enough guy, he was a bit cranky but it was just a façade.

The rock wall was a new thing. He’d only installed it a few weeks ago and it was the newest craze with us young people.

Roy and I chained our bikes out front. When we entered there was already a bevy of beefy guys working out. Several of them were surrounding the boxing ring in the center as two guys were going at it. There was more in the dojo while one of Ted’s junior instructors led a class. The big man himself, Ted, was in the corner, chewing over the lone girl in the room. I recognized her from school, it was that Japanese girl, I think her name was Shado or something. She was off in the corner by herself, limbering up with some exercises. She was bending her body in ways that were humanly impossible. A lot of the guys were drooling over her but pretending not to watch.

As we walked past Ted, he was grumbling about a girl being in his place. Ted was a notorious chauvinist, who took offense to girls of all shapes and sizes.

He was busy grumbling about Shado until I walked under his nose. One of his large hands clamped on my frail shoulders. I jumped about ten feet, Ted glared at me.

“One girl in here is enough, missy” he roared.

Roy came to my defense. “This is Jonas, Ted” he said quickly, stepping in front of me. “He’s a guy, he’s just a little…ummm…girly.”
Ted squinted his eyes at me. “You need muscles on that body of yours, boy. You should come by when the place isn’t so packed, I’ll whip you into shape.”

He let out a hearty laugh and slapped me in the back.

Roy laughed and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, leading me away.

Everyone knew better than to cross Ted. Rumor had it that after the army, he became a big fighter. There was a match he was supposed to throw but he didn’t. He apparently screwed a bunch of people over, really bad ones and they tried to make Ted’s life a living hell. But he fought back. Everyone said that’s why he had Nine Lives because the guys he screwed nearly beat him to death. But somehow Ted bounced back from it.

I looked at the man, all dressed in black, and grimaced. He didn’t look like a man that had had his ass kicked more than once. He looked like a guy who ate bricks for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Ted was definitely the enforcer, how anyone beat him up was a mystery.

Roy went through the basics of rock climbing. Apparently this was his third or fourth time there. I let him set up my harness and make sure my ropes were all right. I stepped into the harness and one of the attendants held my rope. I started up slow, taking my time. Roy was already ahead of me, climbing like a pro. It bothered me a little bit to see how athletic he was. Roy was always a super jock, even when we were kids. It used to drive Mia nuts because she was sure he was cheating. But Roy just had natural talent, everything he did he seemed to do right. I wasn’t really good at anything, except diving and archery of course. The only thing I ever beat him at was archery. But Roy wasn’t one of those guys that got angry; he just smiled and said “I better do better next time.”
“Are you going to ask her out?” he called down.

“Maybe, tomorrow” I said.

We continued to climb for a while until I remembered something. “What about your girl? Are you going to ask her out? I mean you missed your opportunity for the dance but I’m sure she’d go to the movies with you.”

“I’m not sure she’d go out with me” he said sadly.

I shook my head. That was Roy’s problem, his only problem; he didn’t think he was good enough at anything. That included asking girls out. It was strange because two years ago, we didn’t even like girls. Now they were the only thing Roy talked about. His hormones were definitely raging. I’m not sure what was wrong with mine. I mean, I liked Sandra, she was nice and sweet, and she smelled real nice. But I didn’t like her the way Roy talked about other girls. I didn’t notice her butt, except to silently compare it to mine. Her breasts were bigger than mine but I shouldn’t have noticed that. She had a cute laugh. She also did this thing where she wrinkled her nose when she was thinking. I really liked that, I wish I could do that.

I sighed at Roy’s answer. “You have to stop putting yourself down. If you really like this girl you should go for it.”

He smiled at that and continued climbing.

It didn’t take him long to reach the top but it took me at least thirty minutes. I was kind of embarrassed because it was such a little wall. After we climbed down, Ted talked the two of us over to the exercising machines. He went kind of easy on Roy but he was really grilling me. First it was the bench press, then it was free weights then back to the bench press. We were at the Gym for about two hours and on the way back home I could barely ride my bike.
Roy and I parted, it was the last time I saw him. When I got home, my Mom was smiling and told me good news. Apparently my mother fixed the problem and we were leaving tomorrow.

>-------------------------------------------------->

I wonder if Super Roy would have problems with this rock wall.

It had to be at least a hundred and fifty feet straight up. From the ground it looked pretty sheer but it was actually pretty rocky. There were a lot of handholds and foot holes. I wouldn’t say it was an easy climb but it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. It was a lot like the rock wall in fact except I don’t have a life line and I didn’t have boobs then---well I did, but they weren’t as big and they were compressed against my chest. Now I was having a hard time because they kept getting in the way. I tried to imagine what girls did with these damn things. Mia played intramural field hockey and her boobs were a little bigger than mine, I tried to imagine what she did with them. I cursed myself for not asking.

Besides the boobs, the climb wasn’t so bad as long as I concentrated. There was this guy in India who could climb up walls like a monkey. I saw it on some show on the History channel. It was the most amazing thing I’d ever seen. He scaled right up the wall, he practically ran up it. When the host of the show looked at his hands, they were like sandpaper. It was so damn freaky. So I figure if he can do it then there’s some hope for me yet. Of course, he’d been doing it for about ten years but I wasn’t going to let that stop me.

I climbed for about two hours. It was the most grueling and gut wrenching thing I’ve ever done in my entire life. When I finally reached the top, I collapsed to my knees, gasping. I took a giant swig from my water bottle and poured some of it on my head. My wet hair clung to my back and face until I whipped it around, splashing water about. I stumbled to my feet. I was still panting heavily so I took another swig of water. Then I stood up straight, took a few deep breaths and finally looked at my surroundings.

It wasn’t the mountain top that interested me---that was barren rock. What interested me was the view. I could see the whole island and beyond. I could see the whole jungle, including my little oasis---the second one with the waterfalls, the first was way too small. The island was a lot bigger than I thought it was. It was also the strangest shape I’d seen. I knew there were at least three peninsulas but what I saw absolutely floored me: there were at least five. It was kind of crazy and looked like a giant starfish. What wasn’t crazy was the fact that there was nothing else around. The whole of the ocean around the island was nothing but water.

So much for thinking, there were other islands around.

I thought maybe I could use the raft and paddle my way to another island but there was nothing. It made me think though. If there were no other islands around here, did any boats pass this way? Surely this place had to be on some map. It was too big an island to not go undiscovered. I don’t care if I was smack dab in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle, there had to be some place somewhere that this thing appeared. I tried to remember if I saw anything like it on my father’s map. I had been looking at it the day before the storm. My parents liked to find little secluded places to set down and have picnics. This would have been the perfect little place for them.

I spent a lot time of the mountaintop, getting the lay of the land. The mountain had island on three sides and faced north into the ocean. It was a sheer drop to the water below. If the fall didn’t kill you, the jagged rocks would. The beach wrapped around the majority of the island. The rest was a rocky shoreline. The jungle was pretty much everything. I’d never seen anything like it. It made the one in my backyard look miniscule. I could see the little copse and the place where I buried the dead boar---yes, buried it. I skinned it, took whatever meat I could and then buried its bones. I even said a little prayer for it.
I stayed on the mountain for about an hour, walking the whole of it. I was trying to see if there was anything I missed. I was just about to leave when I saw it. At first, I didn’t think it was anything because it was so small. But after staring for about ten minutes, I realized it was actually a white speck and that white speck was slowly moving.

Oh my God, it was a ship.

Chapter Five:

I’m not sure how fast I climbed down the mountain but it was a lot faster than I went up it. I hit the ground running, exhaustion my constant friend but I pushed it back into my mind. Nothing was going to stop me from achieving my goal. I ran into my little shelter and grabbed everything I could carry. Most of the stuff was now set out and made things look homely. My mother’s clothes were hanging on the walls, her books---which I’d read from cover to cover---were stacked in a pile. Her flashlight was always with me even though the last battery went out about a week ago. I had her phone with me too but there was no charge left in it. They were just trinkets now but they were my mother’s trinkets.

I threw everything into the suitcase, well everything I could grab in a hurry.

The only things I didn’t were my things. I grabbed my boar hide quiver---that took me forever to make---and I got my bow. I wore the machete on a belt I made from tree fibers and I always carried my spear in case an aggressive male boar caught me off guard. I pulled on my tarp cape and took a deep breath. I took one final look at my little home. I felt a weak pit in my heart. Even though it wasn’t really home, it had been my security for God knows how long.
I couldn’t help but think about leaving my real home for vacation. Back then, I didn’t realize it was going to be the last time I’d see it…

>-------------------------------------------------->

‘C’mon Jo Jo.”

My mother was a in a hurry. My father had left the night before to make sure everything was ok with the rental property. We owned a house on Miami Beach, it was a little costly but my parents hired someone to care for it when we weren’t there. When my parents got married my father’s business was a tiny little thing, barely a blip on people’s radars. About a year later though, he and Mia’s dad hit it big. Even though they didn’t have my grandfather’s money, they did very well for themselves. We and the Deardens co-owned the beach property but they didn’t do much traveling. Mia’s dad was a workaholic.

I was taking my time; I always took my time. I grabbed the essentials: iPod, iPhone, PSP, Wrigley’s Spearmint gum. I love that gum, don’t ask me why. I like to leave everything to the last minute. My mother calls me the Great Procrastinator. My father is the same way but he calls it “being thorough”. I like to think of it as “being prepared”.

I made sure I had everything, which constituted two bags of stuff. One bag was filled with all my things, including clothes and toiletries. The other bag I called the “pink bag”. Two days before the trip my mother announced that she wanted me to see what it was like to explore my feminine side. I protested but lost. Apparently, Drs. P and W were in agreement with her. Even though I made it very clear that I was a guy and wanted to remain as one, they asked me how did I really know unless I tried. Dr. P tried to use medical mumbo jumbo to explain things and Dr. W came forward with psychiatric reasons. In the end, they told me it was my decision.

So I finally relented and my mother dragged me to the mall three towns over.

I was extremely embarrassed as she dragged me from one girly store to another. First it was underwear which wasn’t as bad as I thought---I’m not saying I liked it I’m just saying it was more comfortable than my boxers. After that, we hit several clothing stores. I protested when she took me to get my ears pierced but she fired back that a lot of guys my age had pierced ears. I lost that fight too. I didn’t win any fight; she had an answer for everything---that’s how I was saddled with that bikini. The only thing I got her on was the salon. She wanted to give me the full works but I was able to talk her down. The girls trimmed my hair into a more feminine style and did my nails. They gave me a little makeup and tweezed my brows---apparently a girl was supposed to have dainty arches. The last place we went to was a store where they sold things to help enhance or hide my figure. It was where we bought the compression vest a couple of weeks ago. We got something called a gaff, it was supposed to hide my you-know-what so I’d look normal. My mother made me wear it home.
My mother knocked on my door as I stood staring at myself in the mirror. It was horrible. With my hair and my eyebrows, I looked just like a damn girl. I couldn’t help but think of all the ribbing I’d get from Mia. Without the vest, she made me wear one of my new bras. The A cup made my little bumps protrude, pushing my t-shirt up into little anthills. The gaff thingy flattened everything below. The jean shorts she had me wearing were also brand new and very much in style. They were also way too form fitting. If anyone saw me in them, they’d be able to tell I didn’t have a guy’s figure. It was so damn embarrassing.

My mother gushed when she pushed open my door. “Oh Livvie, you look adorable”. She hugged me from behind, crying a little.

I smiled weakly.

We decided that while in “girl mode” that calling me Jonas was a bad idea. So she came up with Olivia, apparently it was the name of her mother. She died before I was born, lung cancer I think. My mother didn’t like to talk about it; she said it was too painful. My mother always told me it was scary how much I looked like her when she was younger. I’d actually seen pictures; it was kind of scary. But my grandmother was a real woman; I’m not sure what I was.

“Do I have to wear a pink shirt and short shorts?”

She laughed. “Isn’t that what girls your age wear?”

I groaned. I hated it when she answered a question with a question. I also hated when she was right. Girls my age did dress this way but not as girly. My mother went a little overboard on that. Everything we bought was pink or purple and they were the girliest things she could find. She told me she’d never have a daughter again and wanted to make sure the world knew I was a girl. I told her that that wasn’t going to be a problem.

“Why do I have to wear new shoes?”

I wiggled my toes and looked down at my feet. On them was a pair of girl’s Nikes with a pink swish. We got them at Lady Footlocker. My mother wanted to make sure I was girl from head to toe. Even my socks---which were ankle ones---were girly and cute. I talked her out of pink ones but the ones on my feet were just as embarrassing.

She didn’t answer me. Instead, she gave me another hug. I loved my mother to death but sometimes she went a little overboard.
A beep shattered our embrace, our dare I say it, mother/daughter moment.

“That’s the taxi, sweetie.”

We left my room in a rush; my Mom added my two bags to the pile on the front porch. The taxi driver got out of the car and smiled at us. He made some remark, complimenting the both of us. It made me blush---what can I say it, was kind of sweet. He wouldn’t let me touch the bags. He told me a pretty young thing shouldn’t do any of the lifting. I blushed again but I was also kind of annoyed. I hated it when men thought girls were dainty and not able to do stuff that they could do. The taxi driver was just like that jerk Ted. This guy might have flattered me but he was still a pig. If Mia had been here and heard him, she would have kicked him in the balls.

I wanted to punch him in the gut but my mother gave me a stern look. So instead, I let the “Man” load our bags and got into the back seat with my mother.
We left the driveway a few minutes later. I slouched down as far as I could go, not wanting anyone to see me. But our house was the only one around; the others were down the road a bit. I got one last glance at the house as we pulled out of the driveway. As we drove away, I couldn’t help but think that things were going to be different when we got back in three weeks. I’m not sure if that was extremely scary or really exciting.

>-------------------------------------------------->

I ran as fast as I could, thinking about my last day in Star City brought tears to my eyes.

I was making good time but I’m not sure if it was fast enough. It took nearly an hour to climb down the mountain. I spent at least ten minutes in my little camp and no matter how fast I ran it was still going to take an hour to reach the beach. The boat has to be there still. It was so far off so it was going to be there. I kept trying to reassure myself. I needed it to be there. This was my only chance to get out of here and I wasn’t going to let it pass me by.
When I reached the beach, I ran to light my fire. I set up this one and several just like it all over the island. I put them in places where I knew they’d be seen. My goal was to put one on the mountain as well. But I hoped that would no longer be the case. My signals were large piles of wood, stuff with whatever I could find that would burn long and fast. Mostly it was leaves but there was some plastic and paper shoved in. This particular one had all of that and some. A few weeks back I found a single flip-flop and remembered something Buck said about making the fire as noticeable as possible. The flip-flop was ideal.

Last summer Mia and I were on the beach, for the Fourth. Our parents were preparing to set off their fireworks. We had those dinky little sparklers and were waving them at one another. We started to pretend they were light sabers and were clashing them together. That’s when we had an accident. Mia’s broke and the top fell on her foot. Luckily, it didn’t burn her too badly but it scorched the hell out of her flip-flop. The flip-flop was completely burnt; the smoke that came from it was horrible and black. But it was extremely noticeable. It caused quite a commotion. One of the beach cops tried to shut down our fun but my Dad was able to convince him that no one got hurt.

So when I found that flip-flop I knew exactly what to use it for.

I reached into my belt and pulled out the two stones I used to light my fires. I rubbed them together and got a spark. I lit my Signal and waited. I couldn’t see the boat from the beach but I knew it still had to be out there. For a while, I started waving my arms in the air and shouting. But I got tired and I was starting to lose my voice. I sat down, sighing. Twenty minutes later, however, I saw the boat. At first, I didn’t think it noticed my fire but then I saw it turning toward me. I jumped to my feet and starting waving my arms some more.

As the boat got closer, I realized it was a cruise ship. All I could do was smile and thank the Maker. It was one of those huge liners, a giant Caribbean one. I saw them on all the commercials, advertising a tour of paradise. It was gleaming white and looking for all the world like it owned the ocean. My parents took a cruise on one of those a couple years back but they wouldn’t let me come. It was some kind of second honeymoon. They were gone for about two weeks; I had to stay with Mia. She and I had fun but I was a little jealous of the rents when they got back and told me about all the fun they had. They promised to take me on a cruise some day but…

The boat finally stopped coming. At first, I thought they were forgetting me then I saw them come at me with a smaller boat, it was white too and there were several people in white uniforms inside. It was some kind of launch. It bobbed up and down on the waves as it cruised toward my island. I quickly decided that I looked like a barbarian so I did some quick changes. I pulled off my hooded tarp and quiver. I stowed both of them in my suitcase. I did the same with the machete but there was nothing I could do to hide the bow. But I took off the string and set it up like a hiking stick, leaning a bit on it.

When the Launch came ashore, two of three people onboard scrambled onto the beach. They were both wearing white uniforms. One was clearly a Jamaican; his long dreadlocks were pulled behind his head in a ponytail. The other was a pretty blonde woman who was carrying a white bag. They both approached me at a rush.

“Holy moly, there really was a person on the island?” said the man, glancing back at the driver of the launch. Then he looked at me. “Are you an island princess?”

The blonde rolled her eyes. “Are you all right, sweet heart?”

All I could do was cry. I dropped my suitcase and ran into her arms. She stumbled a bit and then wrapped her arms around me. I cried into her chest. It’d been so long that I’d seen or talked to anyone I wasn’t sure if they were real or not. She let me cry. I’m not sure how long I did it but after I was done, she had me sit while she ran some tests to make sure I was all right.

“I’m Dr. Carlson; I’m the Ship’s Medic, its company policy that I check you out before I let you onboard?”

I nodded. I wouldn’t have let me onboard either.

The Jamaican guy pulled a walkie-talkie from his belt and started talking to someone. I only heard his side of the conversation and it was all about me. I kept hearing him say “her” and “she”. I sighed; it looks like these people thought I was a girl too. Not that I was giving them any reason to doubt me. I looked more like a girl now than ever. I was wearing a pair of my mother’s shorts and my bikini top; my assets were on display for the world to see.
The Jamaican kept talking. All I could think about was the man who led the assault on our boat. Though they were nothing alike, his voice made me cringe. I’d been having a lot of nightmares about that voice.

“What’s your name, sweetheart?”

I lied, I don’t know why. “It’s Bonnie” I said, internally groaning. “Bonnie King.”

Great now I’m the damn cousin from Texas. I even said it with that stupid accent.

Dr. Carlson starting asking me other questions but I didn’t want to answer anything more. I was nervous and excited. I kept looking at the ship, wanting more than anything to get on it and off this island. But she kept asking. I kept refusing to answer. I clutched my bow in a death grip. I wasn’t going to let it go, I don’t know why. My heart was racing and I was starting to get a little woozy. I think Dr. Carlson noticed because she was doing everything to keep me conscious. I’m not sure if it was a delayed reaction or what. I was so happy to be rescued I think I overdid myself. The exhaustion from all the running caught up with me at that particular moment.

The world came rushing around me and I passed out in her arms.

>-------------------------------------------------->

The scream woke me up.

I snapped my eyes open, confused because I thought I was dreaming. I sat up, the fluffy white comforter slid off my body as I did so. I woke to darkness, which was strange. More strange was the fact that I had no idea where I was. I wasn’t in my hammock, I was on a bed and there were no creaking trees, strange jungle noises or stifling heat to greet me. Instead, the room was cool; the only noise was that scream and I was sure I was no longer on the island. I tried to think back to what happened. I remembered seeing the cruise ship, running myself to exhaustion to get to the beach and then the people came. They must have taken me to their ship when I passed out.

Oh, God, I’m off the island. I would have been ecstatic if not for that scream.

I jumped out of bed, nearly stumbling because I wasn’t used to being so high. I hung my hammock low and sleeping on it as long as I did, one tends to get accustomed to that. I stumbled about in the dark, trying to figure out what was going on. I found the wall and the light switch a few seconds later. I flipped the switch and the room exploded with light. I stumbled into the wall, shielding my eyes. It was fricking bright. I wasn’t used to so much light. I was used to the light the jungle provided which was half obscured by foliage unless I got into the open. Even then, it was quite different from the artificial light from a bulb.

I looked around my room and was shocked to see it was quite large. It wasn’t as big as my room at home or the one in the beach house but it was bigger than I thought. It was decorated in a corny nautical theme; everything was blue and white. The walls were wood paneling and the floors were carpeted. There was a closet, a white dresser, a huge vanity with mirror and a bathroom off to the side. The main wall had a huge white Q on it; I knew instantly what kind of cruise ship I was on. I knew the logo well: it appeared on every packet I received from my grandfather. I groaned. My mother spent my whole life trying to shield me from her father and all his billions but it had a tendency to pop back into our lives every now and then.

I heard another scream and it snapped me back to reality.

I ran to the door and opened it a crack. There was no one in the hall but I could hear screaming. What the hell was going on? Then I heard it, it was distant at first but it was recognizable. It was a noise that any avid action movie fan would know: gunfire. Holy crap. I shut the door slowly and leaned against it. What the hell is it with me and boats? I took a deep breath and pushed the dresser in front of the door. It wasn’t heavy at all but a while ago, it would have been. I guess all that jungle exercise was really paying off.

I turned around and saw my room had a balcony. There was a pair of glass doors opening up into it. I wonder if I can get out that way? I was about to rush to it when I heard the rain. It was pouring like crazy out there. I looked around my room and found the suitcase, my bow lying on top of it. I rushed over, finding a note there as well. It was from Dr. Carlson: Bonnie, I put all your stuff in the room with you. The Captain want me to check it for some ID but I told him I wasn’t about to invade your privacy. I also brought your walking stick; you were clutching it so tightly that it took me forever to get it out of your hand. When you’re up and about the Captain would like to see you, there’s some questions he’d like to ask you.

I opened the case and found my quiver and tarp right where I left it. I pulled them both out. I was wearing my clothes from the beach, so I’m glad no one bothered to undress me. I wonder what kind of shock they would have gotten seeing my you-know-what. I couldn’t imagine trying to explain things to them---after calming them down of course. I wasn’t too happy about them thinking I was a girl but I guess it was good for now. Hopefully I wasn’t going to be on this ship too long.

I pulled the tarp on; making sure the hood was over my head. It was a little big and obscured my face but it did its job. On the island, I don’t know how many times the thing kept me dry. It might have been a little stiff and uncomfortable but it was kind of cool too. Robin Hood wore a cape and hood when he went traipsing around in Sherwood. I wonder if he thought it was cool too.

I secured my quiver, restrung my bow and ran out onto the balcony.

The boat was no longer moving. Whoever was onboard, shooting, must have gotten to the bridge. I looked down, trying to see if I could see anything. I had a pretty good idea what was going on too. Before we left there was a lot of talk about pirates in the area. The Coast Guard and the Navy were having problems keeping them all in check. After I went into the water and was on the island a few days, I concluded that that’s what probably killed my parents. I thought they were drug dealers at first but now I was certain they were pirates. I still couldn’t figure out why they’d burn my parent’s boat though.

I hope these are the same ones. I hefted my bow and jumped barefoot onto the balcony railing. With only one hand, I grabbed the bottom of the balcony above me and pulled myself up. My upper body strength was insane now. I can’t remember how many pull ups I did in one day but I was sure it was more than the average man. After a while, I even got bored and started doing them one handed. I know it sounds crazy but there’s not a lot to do on a deserted island. Like I said before, exercise helped focus my mind and kept me sane. Without it, I’d of probably started talking to a coconut or something.

I climbed over the railing and slipped belly first onto the balcony. The room above me was identical to mine. The sliding glass door was unlocked and I let myself in. Whoever was there looked like they were about to go scuba diving or something. There were two beds in this room; one of them had a green and black wetsuit lying on the bed. Whoever it was, who stayed here had left in a hurry. There was a half-eaten sandwich on the night stand and a cup of coffee. I stuck my finger in the coffee; it was still warm. Did the gunshots scare them?

I walked to the door and peered out. There was no one in the hall. I went back into the room, closing the door and started pacing. I couldn’t keep climbing from balcony to balcony; someone was eventually going to find me. It was only a matter of time before whoever it was went room to room. I had to do something and I had to do it fast. In my pacing, I bumped one of the other tables in the room, causing the newspaper sitting on it to fall not the floor. The headline caught my eye: Mysterious Jade Saves Tour Bus. The name of the reporter---Lois Lane---appeared underneath as well as a grainy black and white photo, depicting what looked like a girl in a strange costume, hovering near a bus. She was in front of it, pointing her clenched fist at it and there was some kind of glow surrounding the bus, lifting it off the ground.

What the hell? I grabbed the paper off the floor and started to read: Mysterious Jade, the woman who calls herself the Green Lantern, strikes again. This time it was in Miami Florida where a tour bus full of senior citizens blew out a tire on a bridge and skidded into the guardrail. The bus was tittering on the brink, ready to go over when Jade appeared out of nowhere. She used her strange green ring and saved the bus. When this reporter tried to get an interview, Jade smiled, refused to comment and flew off. The passengers of the bus were ecstatic and the Mayor praised our new green protector for her courage and bravery. “We need more people like her in the world,” he said with a big smile on his face.

What is this? I sat on the corner of the bed, flabbergasted. This Jade person must have popped up when I was on the island. I quickly looked at the date: it was October 20th. Holy crap, I’d been on the island for almost three months. Damn, it felt longer than that. I stared at the picture again; the woman in it didn’t look like a woman at all. She looked be about my age. It was kind of cool. Mia was huge superhero fan and always said the world would be cool if they really existed. She was a huge fan of one of them; I could never remember her name. Me, I’d never really gotten into the whole thing, I liked my Robin Hood. I was always used to tell her “screw men in spandex, the world needs a Robin Hood again.”

I dropped the paper on the floor.

I went to pick up again but stopped when I looked at the wetsuit. There’s no way. I looked at the picture on the front page again and back to the wetsuit. I kept looking at both of them and finally sighed. I left the paper and grabbed the wetsuit. What the hell was I doing, I had no clue. But there were people in trouble on this ship. Yes, the bad guys had guns but I had the element of surprise on my side. Was I crazy? You bet your ass I was. But I needed to do something. Maybe they’d think I was Jade and surrender. I laughed at that.

I slipped off my shorts, the tarp and my quiver. I wasn’t wearing any underwear but I had the bikini bottoms on. They were real tight but they were good enough. I pulled the wetsuit on slowly. It was a little tight in a few places but it looked all right. I stood in front of the mirror, staring at myself. It was really tight and left nothing to the imagination. I had a body, a real hot body. Looking at me sent shiver up and down my spine. No guy alive had a body like this. Was it possible that I’d never be able to go back to being a guy again?

I smirked. As scary as that sounds I need to think about the now.

I pulled my tarp back on, pulling the hood down over my head. I looked like a total idiot but if it could distract the goons then I didn’t care. I grabbed my quiver, putting it at my waist and nocked an arrow. I opened the door and slipped out into the hallway.

Here goes nothing.

up
208 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

no bras?

Oops! Either need to go back and change Part 2, or change Part 3, as in Part 2 you stated:

"I rummaged through the rest of the suitcase. It was mainly clothes, several shirts, some bras that were too big for my little bumps, a few pairs of her underwear. "

Actually, you should either change part 3 to wearing Mum's bras, or change part 2 to no pants or bras (if there are pants there will be bras unless Mum liked to let them hang free).

no bras?

how about "no bras that fit" it works and is a shorter edit.

great story so far, keep it up

Pants

Enemyoffun's picture

Who's to say that that was his mother's only suitcase

Now we'll have some fun!

Oh yeah, Finally off the island and...Wham, back in the frying pan!

Good story, can't wait for the next one!

Why didn't Jonas use her Olivia name, or her legal name?

I Guess We'll find out!

Same Arrow time, Same Arrow Channel!

Wren

This story gets better and

This story gets better and better with each passing chapter. It moves rapidly while being told, but also slow enough to keep up and understand what it is that Oliva is doing or going to do next. Jan

Killshot

Very good! We get to see Olivia Queen in action. :) Great writing and pacing. You made the whole Robinson Crusoe surviving the island bit sound very convincing. I can only imagine how hard that was! Now we're on the cruise ship. Pirates! ARgh! Someone asked which was the best Retcon story. It's impossible to say! So many are like this one, just terrific!

Hugs!

Grover

This is a great little story

Keep it up OK? I really want to see that pirate twisting on the end of an arrow.

Gwen

I'm really liking this!

Can't wait to see where it goes. Grandfather owns the cruise line, huh? Be nice if Livvie can save his boat :)

Grandfather

Enemyoffun's picture

So I take it everyone's figured out who he is.

Took a nose dive

Not a bad little story until the end of this part with this Mysterious Jade and the flying thingy. Oh well, toss this one in the dustbin and see what else comes along.

Mysterious Jade

Enemyoffun's picture

Jade is from Samplings of the Population, I just trying to give a thumbs up to Lilith's story.

Return of the Heir?

And of the trouble. Well, it seems that pirates, boats and islands are now bad business in Olivia's book.

I just imagine the look on the pirates' faces when their leader falls back with an arrow in the forehead - for taking a little girl hostage.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

How to Take the Kill Shot Part-3

Now he can get some payback and return to civilization.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The History Channel

There were probably better uses for that phone than watching the History Channel. Stan Lee strikes again, or is he just looking for new material?

There certainly is quite the GREEN fetish going on.

Does Jonas/Olivia/Bonnie qualify as the first nonmetahuman hero, or are there more chemicals swimming in his/her bloodstream than normal?

I do have to admit that I am not a big fan of flashbacks (sorry).

Now the race, does GA save the ship before GL, GL zwie, or Aquagirl do? OK I don't think Aquagirl will she's in Chicago, and that's a long swim.

Depends...

Thsi ship is being held hostage, but as it's a cruise liner I don't think there's much chance of the pirates trying to sink it. If things got seriously dangerous, there's a possibility our heroes could be scrambled. Jade and Alena would probably be first on the scene, since they're the only long-distance flyers on the team.

But your point raises an interesting question - most members of the team aren't capable of flight, so when they're called to an emergency, either the flyers would have to carry the non-flyers, or they'll have to beg a favour from the US Military - as they're all officially teenagers (if not chronologically so), they're very unlikely to have their own independent means of mechanised long-distance transportation (heck, Dream's Tomahawk is about the only transport the team have).

But, as these events are set in October, and most of the other tales are set around July, that gives the rest of us three months worth of plot time to catch up - it might be worth asking Lilith and Lynceus for their thoughts on the issue.

As for Rena appearing on the scene, I'm aiming for a top swimming speed of about 30mph, so it's far more likely if she was needed outside the Chicago / Lake Michigan area she'd be picked up by one of the flyers and dropped off just before the destination (if it was a watery rescue). Some of her abilities would also be useful on land - but you'll have to wait for "Chicago Water Torture" (hopefully arriving sometime in the next week) to find out exactly what she's capable of.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Traditionally

Water-based entities also have a more-or-less intimate contact with sound. After all, echolocation is all the rage. :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Flashbacks

Enemyoffun's picture

They were meant as a different way to tell a story. I could have been linear and told the events all leading up to being on the island but where's the fun in that. I wasn't sure they'd work at first but I think they served their purpose well. There will be less of them now that she' off the island but they will appear again.

Not Good trying to make them think it is Jade

could be a recipe for disaster. and Jonas is starting to see the truth


I had a body, a real hot body. Looking at me sent shiver up and down my spine. No guy alive had a body like this. Was it possible that I’d never be able to go back to being a guy again?

2 out of 5 boxes of tissue and 7 gold starsDesHS.jpg

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree