TGL - Book 1: Through Death, Rebirth: Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version

Gateway to Life
-:Book 1:-
Through Death, Rebirth

by Faeriemage

Copyright  © 2010 Faeriemage
All Rights Reserved.

Sometimes, it is what you do that matters. Sometimes, it is who you are. Usually it is just being in the proper place at the proper moment in time with the will to act.

Chapter 16:
Storm Warning

The lawyer came over to me first, "May I have your hand please?"

I didn't think much of it and reached out to shake his hand, "Ok, now I just need you to talk about hormone therapies from your world. "

I looked at him a little strangely.

"The human mind records more information than the conscious mind can process. I am able to access this overflow, and actually see your memories of certain events. I will tell you now, that this viewing constitutes privileged information and is covered under an implicit attorney client seal."

I had no idea what he was talking about, but I started to talk about the things that Mary had relayed to me, and as I did I was back in her office. I was sitting there, nervously waiting to speak to my Shrink again. Gotta remember that I call him Frank now. She was talking about options that I could take. And when I could take them. We talked a little bit about the dangers.

Like that it was over.

"Well, hmm," The lawyer stated. "This is going to be a bit trickier than we thought. They don't have any therapies anywhere close to what we offer. They still use Hormone Replacement Therapy."

"You're kidding? And I'll bet they still think that leaches are a good way to purify the humors." Dr. Jensen was scowling. "When would they allow Jamie to start poisoning herself?"

"They would have allowed her to start on HRT when she turned sixteen. That's in about two years, right?"

I nodded at him. I had thought for a moment that this would be my solution to everything. I had thought I might finally start to be the person who I felt myself to be inside. I felt a tear come to my eye. I would not cry over this.

"I'm sorry. I don't care what the laws regarding the quacks in her own dimension are. This is a safe procedure compared to that."

"Yes, but legally she isn't bound by our laws. We need to respect the laws of her dimension. This is part of the Accord."

"Only if her dimension is in contact with ours."

Everyone looked at Brian. He continued, "If her earth isn't one of the seven that we are in contact with, then she is a free agent according to the Accord."

"Well, technically. . ." began the lawyer.

"Technically nothing. The Accord specifically states that any individual not covered separately by the laws of a signatory of the Accord is under the jurisdiction of the signatory in which he or she resides."

"That clause was supposed to be a catch all to protect citizenship."

"It also grants dimensional citizenship to any citizen of a non signatory dimension."

"I see those three years in law school didn't go to waste when you decided to become a nurse, Son."

Brian beamed a bit at this praise.

"Fine, we will sort this quickly. What year is it in your dimension?"

"1989, sir."

He looked at me for a moment, as if I were making a joke. "1989? There are no recorded Psi capable individuals in any dimension we have encountered at that date."

"Do you need to check me again?"

"My ability won't be able to determine the truth of your statement. It can only access your real memories, which will only see what you have seen. You believe the date to have been 1989, so a sifter won't help either."

"When failure of accepted methods of verification is irreconcilable, the veracity of statements made must be accepted." Brian looked a little smug when he said this.

The lawyer glared at him, then looked at Dr. Jensen. He pressed his right thumb to his right ring finger twice. "Well doctor, I declare, per my authority in the Accord, as the closest representative of the judicial system, that Jamie is a legal citizen of this dimension, and shall be registered as such."

A disembodied voice replied, "Name of the applicant for citizenship records?"

"Jamie Patrice," I stated, looking around.

"Sex of the applicant?"

"Male," stated Dr. Jensen. I looked at him a bit betrayed, but he had a small knowing smile for me.

"Gender of the applicant?"

"Female," stated Brian clearly with a big smile.

"Per discrepancy clauses regarding Sex versus Gender, applicant will be referred to as Female in all legal documentation. Case number is 8716b543k11. End proceeding."

I was a little shocked at the speed with which this had all been done. I knew that the proceeding to place me in foster care back home was just beginning.

Crap. Back home. I hadn't been there to receive Mary's call, if she'd been able to recharge the phone. What in the world was I going to do. She would be getting in trouble with Child Protection and it was all my fault. I was supposed to be meeting with them. . .I did a quick calculation of days. Crap I had missed it. And Mary had no idea what had happened to me.

I began to cry. How could I have been so thoughtless. Claire came over and wrapped me in her arms. "What's wrong, sweetie?"

"I forgot about Mary. I was off wandering around the dimensions and forgot that she needed me back there."

"It's ok, sweetie. You'll get back there soon enough."

"Claire, should we proceed? With the surgery I mean?"

"Jamie, honey, would you like to go ahead with your surgery?"

"But. . ."

"I'm sure that Mary would want you to be true to yourself, right?"

I just nodded. I felt like she was treating me like a child, but at that moment, I think it's what I needed.

"What exactly does this surgery mean, Dr. Jensen?" I wanted to know what it would mean for my trans-dimensional wanderings.

"The gland is designed to generate female hormones much like the sex organs of a natural female. They need no upkeep, and are generated using a sample of your own tissue, so rejection is almost unheard of."

"Will it turn me into a woman?"

"It will act much like the hormone replacement therapy described to your in your own world. Only this will be your body's own hormones."

I couldn't help but smile at that. I would be developing like a normal girl.

"Let's do it."

"Ok, it will take about 36 hours t prepare the gland. We'll schedule you for surgery two days from now. How does that sound?"

I smiled really big, and Claire responded that it would be fine.

Claire took me to her home, and I got to play with her kids. Mr. Kreis was ok, but I'm not sure I would have ever married him. I watched some TV, and played with the kids some more. Ok, so I really love kids. It was a calm couple of days.

We went back into the hospital as agreed. "How are you feeling, Jamie."

"A little scared, Brian. I know I want this, but I don't know what surgery is going to be like."

He kissed me on the cheek and I blushed. "It will be alright, Jamie. You'll be out of there in no time, and then you can start growing up the way you were meant to."

I was excited about that. Before I knew it I was on a hospital bed being wheeled into the surgery prep room. It seemed an instant later that I was waking up. My stomach was a little sore, and there was a small bandage on my belly button.

The soreness went away over the next couple of days. I checked my eyes in the mirror every day. I watched as they slowly went from orange back to my normal green. One morning, I woke up feeling whole for the first time in a long while. I knew, before I even looked in the mirror, that my eyes would be completely green again.

"I have to go, now, Claire."

"I'm going to miss you, Mini-me"

"You to, Biggie-me."

She gave me a hug, and then I stepped back. I reached out across the worlds. I knew who I needed to find, and I had an Idea that I had been working through since the last time I traveled. The first time, I had a complete connection to my other self before releasing my own world. I latched onto Mary and then let go of the world.

Instantly I was standing in Mary's living room for what seemed the first time in years, but was in reality only about a week.

Mary1 fainted.

"Mary, wake up. It's me, Jamie."

"We thought we'd lost you two. I called your mother and she misses you. She's almost frantic. Both of you don't know what you put us through."

"Um, it's only me right now, Mary. Jamie2 isn't here right now. We found her a new body. I got hurt fighting Beast, and had to recuperate. Oh, I now have a gland that produces hormones like we talked about."

Mary just looked at me, and then said simply, "Could you start at the beginning please?"

I happily told her everything that had happened since I last saw her. We cried at times together, especially when I told her about the loss of the little one to the Beast. She seemed really happy for me and my new additional part.

When I came to the end, She looked at my eyes closely, and then the rest of my face. She brushed my hair out of my eyes and then spoke to me, "I wouldn't wish what you've seen upon anyone, let alone a teenager. I know you've got to head back out there, because Jamie2 still needs to go home. I also think that you might be happier in her world."

"But I want to be with you, Mary!"

"Sweetie, I was only ever going to be a temporary stop in your life. With your ability, you will be able to visit me any time you want, but you need a real home. Helen2 can provide that for you."

"I love you, Mary."

Mary cried a bit at this, "I know, sweetie. You'll be ok. You will bloom anywhere that you are planted. Go save Jamie2."

"I need a mirror."

"You only have the barest little bit of orange in your eyes, you should have lots of energy."

I hugged Mary, and reached out for my other half. Jamie was my real twin. My sister.

'I'm coming, Jams'

I found her. I latched on, and released the world.

"Get a room guys."

Jams was kissing Underseer. They turned to me, and Underseer blushed bright red, while Jams bounced over to me and threw her arms around me. "SIS!!! I love the hair! And the dress."

It may have been utilitarian, but I loved the color, and so that first dress they'd given me had become my favorite.

"So, we need to get you home, Jams."

"Um, there are some problems with that. . ."

"What's going on?"

Underseer spoke up here. "Beast has been trying to get a foothold in this world. He keeps trying to find one of our Psi's here that he can use to hide in. So, once per day, Jams orders him home."

"Order?"

"Yeah, it's sort of like this. . ."

We swapped stories and caught up quickly. I told her about Claire and her kids, and then something occurred to me. "Corin, hold down the fort. Jams and I need to make a quick run home."

I grabbed her hand, and before she could say anything, I reached out and latched onto Helen2. I released the world.

Helen was just getting off the phone when we appeared. "Hi, Mom!" we said simultaneously. She fainted.

up
58 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Finally, another TGL

Spent time yesterday working on the first 12-string serial chapter and it is coming along well. I have some news for Sarah Carrera fans, I got permission to run some tie-ins between 12-String and Sarah Carrera. Warning, 12-string will not be as light and fluffy as SC is, but it is in the same universe, and it is no were near as dark as some moments here.

I know, I am a lightweight in the darkness category :)

Expect 12-String on Friday, and this first entry is going to be huge (6500 words already, and potential for about double that before Friday) I hope to have most of 12-string in the 4000 to 7000 word range, and I expect most posts there to be around 5500 or more.

I will be releasing Her Diary 1980, November 1st sometime after the October writing contest starts. It will be an almost stand alone story regarding the Halloween dance mentioned in October 24th. I will probably release that on Sunday (October 3rd)

There will be two more TGL entries this week. One on Thursday, and one on Saturday. I have to admit, though. I am running out of ideas to stretch the story, and so we might be nearing the end of this novel. Not the end of the Jamie's of course, just the end of the first journey into their world. I will be sad to see them go. Minimum number of chapters I could reasonably finish this in is about 4, which would bring my estimate of word count to between 40k and 75k (88 to 166 pages). Not bad for the first novel I have ever completed (knock on wood)



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

TGL - Book 1: Through Death, Rebirth: Chapter 16

Thanks for another chapter. With all that's happened here, looks as if Jams ans Jorney are almost ready for the Beast.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

All I can say is "better and

All I can say is "better and better" as the story continues.

Breathing Easier

terrynaut's picture

I like how this is developing. Things are starting to come together. You went back and handled Mary1 and now you're taking care of Helen2. That will leave the story ready to get back and handle the Beast and invasion I think, unless you decide to throw in yet more. I think that's more than enough though.

I really like this story. Please keep up the good work.

- Terry