Jubal: 7: Black Clouds

Printer-friendly version

Jubal: Black Clouds

Copyright  © 2011 Faeriemage
All Rights Reserved.

Jubal enjoys his youth whilst storm clouds gather on the horizon.


AUTHOR'S NOTE: I've decided that there will be two endings for the Jubal story, and not what some of you will be thinking with this. I was a sill author, and trying to pull a bit of a fast one, and realized that Jubal stands by him(her)self without the props of any other continuity.

Jubal was originally created for a specific universe on this site, but as there was so much to tell before the story that really fit with the universe I decided to start by posting without the universe tag.

This has the side effect of getting people interested in Jubal as a person, and potentially will cause some upset with me as a writer.

Sure, I may be putting too much stock in my own analytical skills as far as the comments go, but it seems to be the case.

That being said, I return to my first comment.

Initially I will be going with the story I intended, in the universe of my choice.

Please, do not give up on me however. Should you prefer to see Jubal in the more "real life" world he seems to be in, I will later return and write this alternate version of his life.

I realize this statement here might cause some distress, and as I have said that was never my intent. I really love Jubal Marie as a character. There is story enough here to keep things going in either place that (s)he finds her(him)self in.

Also, a note about the leaning toward light sci-fi in the end of this chapter. This does play into the overall story I am writing, but will not prevent a more down to earth Jubal alternative.

How bout I just get to the story now?


Another Valentine's day came and went, although this time Jubal was on the activities committee. He helped to plan the even with a number of girls, even going so far as to help make the refreshments.

Since Griffin assigned that to the Home Ec department, and since Jubal had started taking Home Ec this year, he sort of found himself roped in.

Like any normal high school, Jubal was not the only male in the course, but he was the only one who actually fulfilled his duties on the committee.

They put him at the door taking tickets in a cupid outfit.

"Hey Amanda, Lance!"

"They put you on Ticket duty, huh?"

"Yep, I figure it'd better than pretty much anything else I could be doing."

They laughed at this and went in.

"Thomas! Louis! You came, and still together I see."

"This is our one year anniversary, of course we came. Thank you so much for what you did, Jubal!" Thomas said.

"Yes, Thank you."

And on and on as couples he'd put together in the last year said their thanks to him. He was emotionally worn out, but oh so happy when Theresa came up to him.

"Okay, Jubes. That's it. We're closing the ticket booth down, so you can go get yourself something to drink and relax in the dance."

"In this?"

"Of course not, silly. We have your suit in back, or, um, if you like. . ."

"You have a dress for me as well, don't you Theresa?"

"Well, since you haven't gotten any bigger, we made you a dress with the measurements from last year. In that pale yellow fabric you seemed to like so much. . ."

"Theresa, I know you mean well, but this is hard enough for me to decide."

She cocked an eyebrow at him and he sighed.

"I have another three years before I decide permanently whether I want to be a boy or a girl. I'm still so confused about it. I love wearing dresses and being pretty, but. . .you don't need all my arguments I make to myself."

Theresa looked a little down, and turned to leave, "Okay, well, I'll go put the dress away then."

"Theresa, you misunderstand. All I'm saying is don't push me," Jubal giggled. "I have to see the dress before I decide."

A smile lit up Theresa's face. "Well, let me show it to you then."

It was a confection. Gauzy white material over translucent yellow and light pink material over a yellow sheath. The proportions were very adult, but the size was completely Jubal.

"How did you? . ." Jubal felt like crying. From his own failed attempts at sewing, he knew how difficult it was to use the materials he was before him. And they'd been used in abundance. It was the dress he'd wanted to make, but simply lacked the skill.

"Katie mostly. She's a wizard at this stuff. I think she even practices at home."

Jubal had made his decision as soon as he saw the dress they'd made for him. He went into the bathroom and changed out of the short toga and oversized diaper of the cupid outfit into the beautiful dress.

She couldn't get the dress up herself, so Marie called out to Theresa for help. With two buttons in the back in place, she looked at herself in the mirror, and was glad to see Marie looking back at her.

"These as well," Theresa said and handed her a pair of long lace gloves. They seemed to be fitted to her, and went to her elbows.

"How. . .?"

"Remember when Katie measured your arm last week?"

"I'd wondered what in the world she was doing."

"Well, your public awaits, my queen."

"Very well, liege lady. We proceed to meet our public."

Marie followed Theresa out of the bathroom and was about to go mingle with the rest of the students, when Miss Emmett came up and got in front of the microphone.

"Students, may I have your attention please? While it is not traditional to do so, we decided that we wanted a Valentine's Queen, or King, this year. As you know, but as the person who was chosen does not, each of you have case your vote for the person who you feels most exemplifies the feeling of the holiday.

"As someone who helps others to recognize what they simply never saw. As Griffin Academy's own resident matchmaker. Your Valentine's Queen for this year is Jubal Marie Franks."

A tiara was placed upon her head, and the microphone was lowered so she could easily speak into it.

"I feel like one of those freaky child beauty pageant winner right now."

"You don't look like it, Jubal!" Someone shouted from the crowd.

A number of girls from Home Ec yelled toward the voice, "It's Marie!" and there was general laughter at this.

"I'd first like to thank Katie for this divine dress, and the one I was stupid enough to ruin last year. I'd like to thank the rest of the activities committee for helping to make this wonderful dance possible. . ."

George yelled from off to the right side, "Just thank everyone all at once and come dance!"

"Fine, George, I'll cut it short. Thanks Everyone!"

People asked Marie to dance this time, and she ended up dancing with everyone. It was so much more pleasant than last year, and she even got an apology from Lance.

"Look, Jubal, or I mean Marie, I'm sorry about my behavior from last year. I realize now that I just needed someone I connected to. Thank you so much for introducing me to Amanda. Just, Thank you."


***

"Shut the door! You're letting all my darkness out!"

"You're insane, you know that Benjamin?"

"Watcher. In here I'm the watcher, and you should very well know that since you're the one who employs me."

"Heredity Inc employs you. So, what is this you're watching?"

"Oh, it's my own cut and edit from last night's Valentine's Dance. I simply can't get enough of it. I really don't know what it is about Jubal, but he attracts the eye."

"You better not be getting any ideas regarding my grandson!"

"Or your granddaughter. Look at that dress, I mean, seriously. It makes her look so grown up."

"What are those freaks doing to him!?"

"Relax. You know that she, or he, has not made a final decision as to his, or her, gender right?"

"I always just assumed. . ."

"Many people do, but from my daily take of audio and video, it's obvious to me that Jubal Marie is still highly conflicted. Jubal is the preferred address in masculine clothing, and Marie in feminine. We have a regular Janus on our hands here. A real honest to god Janus."

"What are you talking about, Watcher?"

"Janus or Jana, depending on his or her gender aspect, was the roman god/ess of duality, transition, beginnings and endings. s/he was often depicted as having a male and a female face."

"What does that have to do with Jubal?"

"Jubal is who we see, at any time we see him. He is in transition, changing. A beginning and an ending unto himself."

"I think you've been in the basement too long."

The watcher chuckled at this, "So, what do you want, Mr. Hastings? Why the long trek down to my lair?"

"How accurate is your information regarding my son?"

"Would you like a transcript, audio, or video recording? Possibly a sworn statement by the prostitute in question?"

Anger suffused Mr. Hastings features. "No, that won't be necessary. Why did you present this to me?"

"Because you specifically asked me to report on your son's actions. That is what I did. I do not keep the truth from you, Mr. Hastings. I enjoy my job too much to want to jeopardize it."

"Fine, I'll deal with my son. Thank you for being honest."

"Anytime, Mr. Hastings. If I may?"

"What is it?"

"Why all this interest in the child?"

"Why, because if things keep going the way they have been, I might simply have to make him, or her, my heir. My son doesn't have the moral fiber to do it. He can't subsume his physical needs in something more productive."

"Very good, Mr. Hastings."

As soon as the man left, watcher had a good chuckle to himself. "Isn't that a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, Mr. Hastings. After all, I doubt the things you do with your mistress could be considered subsuming your needs in something more productive."

Watcher shuddered at some of the things he'd seen, "I mean, those acts are vile even by my standards."


***

"Aaron, come in and shut the door."

"Why, Daddy. I didn't know you cared." Aaron had another piercing on his face, adding a second ring to his right eyebrow.

"Sit down, Aaron," he said quietly, and when Aaron didn't react, said, "Now!"

"I truly wish that your sister Marie had survived that accident over nine years ago. If she had I wouldn't be having this conversation now."

"I wish she had survived as well so I could get back to my life."

"Your life? You mean putting yourself at risk with faggots like yourself?"

The color drained from Aaron's face.

"Yes, I know about your little arrangement in San Francisco. Thought it would be far enough away for me not to notice?"

"Look, find yourself a little boyfriend for the side, but you damned well better stop tarnishing this company image or I will resolve this situation in a more severe manner. You will get married when I demand it, and you will have an heir you can prepare for this company. And no, you will not pay some other schmuck to impregnate your wife."

"Dad, you can't do this!"

"Watch ME! Your only other choice is to be disinherited."

"Well, there's the third option. You keep embarrassing me in public and I add a morality clause to your inheritance."

A file smoldered in the depths of Aaron's eyes as he looked at his father.

"Now, there's the little matter of college."

Aaron snorted at this.

"What college will take me after the mess my grades are in?"

"Any, actually. I've used some of my influence and had your transcript changed. You have one more year of high school to prove to me you can keep your grades there, and we get you into the school of my choice."

"That's not possible, I can't get a 4.0 or anything even close to it."

"It's that or the party stops abruptly."

"Yes, sir. Anything else you need, sir?" The fire flared, but Aaron enjoyed the perks of wealth and power too much to try to call the old man's bluff.


***

"So, Jubal, it's been a couple of months since I saw you last. I apologize that I had you speaking with Dr. Kessler. How did that go?"

"She was alright. It wasn't the same as talking to you, though."

"It was unavoidable. Apparently I'm the only one amongst all my siblings who could take care of my mother in her last days."

"Well, it seems as we both have a little something in common now."

Dr. Rath smiled a sad little smile, and then sat a little straighter, "so, I hear you've been having fun at school."

Jubal smiled at this. "They made me the Queen of the Valentine's Dance for my matchmaking activities. And I've been modeling some of Katie's work at school."

"So, you've been going as Marie sometimes?"

"Some, yes. Not as much as Jubal, but everyone seems okay with it. It's like they think of me as two different people with the same body."

"How so?"

"Well, I get doors opened for me as Marie, which never happens for Jubal. The guys are more likely to joke around with me as Jubal, and I have a lot more girls hanging with me as Marie."

"Well, could it be that they aren't so much treating you as a different person as just a different gender?"

"Um, I don't know?"

Dr. Rath chuckled. "You are very intelligent, Jubal, but there are so many areas in which you haven't experienced enough to understand. Boys and girls are more different than you're giving them credit for.

"It's more than just the clothes or the expected role in a family. It's more than plumbing. Our society dictates that boys and girls act in a specific manner, and because of that we clump together.

"Girls are supposed to be more social, boys more competitive, girls more caring, boys more strong. That doesn't dictate how things are, just how they're supposed to be."

"Oh, I see, opening a door for a girl shows how you are able to protect her. Shows you are also willing to subjugate your strength to her."

Dr. Rath laughed at that, "You know, I've never thought of it that way, but you very well might be right."

"What?"

"We don't very often think about why we do certain things in certain orders. Most people just accept the gender roles as 'the way it is' without ever once trying to analyze them."

"So, I just look at things differently?"

"Or more especially with a fresh pair of eyes. You are so keen to learn everything you can, that you ask the questions everyone else just assumes they know the answers to. So, any plans for the summer?"

"Just running and hanging with my friends. Although it's getting a little more uncomfortable there. With George being sixteen now, and his parents being okay with him openly dating, it seems I have less time with him and Katie."

"Well, that's normal. Let them have their time together alone, and it will be worth it the times you spend as a group."

"Or won't I just be a third wheel?"

"Possibly, but that depends on the sort of people that George and Katie are."

"So, what else has been going on with you?"


***

"So, how does it feel to be a junior?"

"About the same as being a sophomore or a freshman, Katie."

"You're no fun, Jubal. Has anyone ever told you that before?"

"Only you, Katie. So, where's your limpet?"

"George has a football meeting, they're voting on something or other. He said he'd meet us in the lunchroom."

So, what are you up to?"

"I'm not up to anything."

"Oh, yes you are. I know that smirk."

"Okay, fine. Yes, I'm planning something. A lot of us are, actually."

"That sounds ominous."

"Not so ominous. You know how I haven't seen much of you since the beginning of the year, well would you like to change that?"

"I don't play these games well, Katie. What are you planning?"

"Ok, well, since you left Home Ec for French a lot of the girls are missing you, and talk of how to get you back in there for a little bit sprouted into a fashion show for the entire school."

"Um. . ."

"We want you, and some of the other girls we know, to try model dresses for us in the auditorium in an actual fashion show."

"I'll think about it, Katie. This has to be my decisions, and right now, if I said yes, I would only be doing it to make you happy."

She smiled, "Ok, Jubal. I'll let you think about it. Let's go to lunch."

They entered the cafeteria to a strange sight. The football players who normally re-arranged the room were milling about in confusion. The tables had all be locked down to the floor to prevent their being moved around. Strangely enough they were formed into large concentric circles just as the football players would have wanted it to be.

Their 'table' now took up the entire room.

Jubal tugged on Katie's hand and started heading over to their normal spot at the head of the circle, opposite the opening to get into the center.

Katie sat demurely while Jubal climbed up on top of the table.

"Hey, it's just the way you always wanted it, so stop milling about and join us!"

There was some chuckling from the football players and other students who were in the room. People retrieved their trays and began to sit in places they were comfortable in.

Katie gently pulled Jubal down off the table into a seat, "Take your own advice, your majesty."

They both giggled at this, until Jubal realized what he was doing and began to blush.

"Jubal, don't be embarrassed. Most of us have realized that you are more girl than boy by now."

"Just because that's the way I act doesn't mean that's the way I'm comfortable. I really can't decide one way or another, and I only have a little over two years left to decide."

Katie got a thoughtful expression on her face, "Maybe that's because you're asking the wrong question."

"Huh?"

"Which name do you prefer? Jubal or Marie?"

"I prefer Jubal. It just has always fit me more, I think. That doesn't make me a boy."

"No more than being called Marie makes you a girl."

"So, where are you going with this?"

"Ok, if you had to make a choice, would you prefer to be called pretty or handsome for the rest of your life?"

Jubal blushed a pretty shade of pink. "Pretty. I like being pretty."

"And how would you feel if you could never wear another dress?"

"Sad, because they make me look the prettiest."

"Now, do you like to be protected, or to protect?"

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"Ok, so maybe that was a bad question. Opening doors or having them opened."

"Well, it makes me feel so special to have a door opened for me. I just open doors to try and let other girls. . .wow. I never realized that before."

Katie was smiling brightly. She'd heard what Jubal had said.

"So, you think it would be okay with everyone still calling me Jubal if I was. . .um. . .more girly?"

"Sweetie, most of us have come to expect strangeness from you. You'll have to change P.E. classes though if you want to make it official."

"Um, but won't that just be me going from one coach's office to the other's?"

"So, you'll just be with the rest of the girls, as you put it."

"Well, I guess I'd like that."

Jubal pursed her lips and thought for a moment, and then got a worried expression on her face. "You're sure people will be fine calling me Jubal and addressing me as a girl?"

"Jubal, I think Marie is a prettier name, but I'll call you whatever you like."

Jubal's giggle was infectious and Katie couldn't help but joining in with her.

"So, what are you to conspiring about?"

Katie looked from Jubal to George and back. At last she turned to George, "I'll let her tell you."

"Her? She's going to be Marie from now on?"

"No, I'm going to be Jubal but with a female gender."

"Okay, I have no idea how that works, but I'll support you in that. Oh, yeah, I have some news of my own."

"What?" Katie and Jubal said in unison.

"You're looking at the new captain of the varsity football team."

"Well, I hope you don't expect me to go out for head cheerleader this year, since I don't plan on trying out for the squad."

"Why not?" Jubal asked, "you seemed to like it."

"Yes, but I wanted to devote more time to my fashions. I'm having more fun being a seamstress and clothing designer."

"Well, it looks like changes abound today. Who decided to round up the whole cafeteria?"

"The administration. Apparently they gave in to the inevitable, since we were well over halfway there anyway."

Jubal looked out at the room, and realized that the arrangement allowed for people to be part of one large group, as opposed to several smaller ones. The distance between the tables was smaller than it had been with the other arrangement, and so people were all much closer together as well.

Jocks and cheerleaders were interspersed with nerds and outcasts. And they were talking to each other.

"Look what you've been able to accomplish, King George. Everyone is a single clique." Jubal said with a big smile.

"Me, oh no. I take no credit for this. This is all you. And if you remember it was actually your idea originally to have the tables in a hollow circle."

He stood on his chair and the entire cafeteria turned toward him.

"All hail Queen Jubal, purveyor of happiness and all around great girl!"

"Queen Jubal!" came the reply from the throats of her fellow students.

Speech!" called one joker from off to the side. and the rest of the cafeteria picked it up.
Speech, Speech, Speech, Speech."

Jubal giggled and stepped up onto the table. She made quieting gestures and the noise lowered to a low roar.

"I want to thank you all for elevating me to this position, and will only make onerous requests on the third Thursday of the month."

There was general laughter at this.

"Thank you for your friendship."

"We love you, Queen Jubal!" Jubal was pretty sure that Lance had been the one to shout that out.

"Thank you, Lance. I'm still not going out with you."

"Yeah, good that, cause I'd have to kill you," Amanda said from the same general vicinity.

Jubal sat back down in her chair and everyone began talking amongst themselves.

"You know I'm not giving up tee shirts or pants, right?" Jubal said to Katie as soon as she was planted.

"I would never imagine it. I think it will just make it easier for everyone else if they know that you are a girl permanently now."

Something occurred to her and Jubal lost her smile, "how do I tell Dr. Rath?"

"I'm sure he'll be happy for you."

"I hope so," she said, but she wasn't so sure.


***

"Mama Joey?"

"Yes, Jubal?"

"Could I get a pixie haircut?"

"Are you sure, Jubal? Or Marie?"

"Just Jubal, but I think I do feel more comfortable when people think of me as a girl. I'm not ready for pierced ears or anything, but I figure a new haircut. . ."

"That sounds like a good idea, as long as it's your choice."

"Yes, Mama Joey. It's my choice. I'm tired of being somewhere between. Plus, I really have been presenting as a boy more than anything. If I go all girl for the next couple of years, then I can more easily know if that is the choice I want to make."

"Ok, sounds like a plan, Jubal. But, if you're going girl, then why keep the name Jubal?"

"Because I like it better than Marie."

Mama Joey laughed at this and shook her head, "Leave it to you to make the practical descision."


***

Jubal wore a barrette in her hair to accent the new style. She had her boy jeans still, but the tee shirt she wore was a yellow with a white heart in the center.

"Well, this is definitely a new look for you, Marie."

"No, it's Jubal. I decided that I can keep the name Jubal even if I'm a girl. My grandparents gave it to me after all, so it's my choice what I'm called."

"So, I see you've decided then?"

"Yeah, it was something in the way I was thinking, even when I was in boy mode. I thought of the boys as them and the girls as us, well that's simplified but that's the general idea."

"You never mentioned this in our sessions. This isn't something other people are putting you up to?"

"I never mentioned it, because I'd never asked myself the right questions." Jubal said with a huge smile.

"Well, you're a little happier, but is that simply because you've finally made a decision?"

"Probably. The being in the middle was really grating on me. Now that I made a decision, that weight lifted so I can finally just be happy."

"Well, we still have two years before you make your final decision. That is time enough to see if this really is for you."

"I thought so too. Kind of like a real life test sort of."

"Yes, but without any of the hormones sometimes associated with it."

"Yep. There is something I wanted to ask, though, I don't seem, to be getting any bigger. I've worn the same sized dress for the past couple of years. I've gotten a little bit taller, but not by much."

"Hmmm. We may want to get you in to an endocrinologist. Something may be off in your normal hormone levels. There also might be something else in relation to your intersex that is causing this."

"Okay, doctor. and thanks."


***

The watcher shut off his monitors and thought for a moment. He knew of some projects in other departments of Heredity that he probably wasn't supposed to know about. Things like the anti-agathic project.

He snorted at this. The holy grail of eternal youth. But would even this company be willing to test those on a child?

How cruel would that be to halt the aging of a precocious child when all she wants is to grow into her mind.

up
119 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The holy grail of eternal youth?

sounds like Juabl's condition was not an accident. As for belonging to a "universe", personally I like it as a stand-alone, but I will hang on for the ride whichever way you decide to go.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Accidents

There are parts of his condition that are more accidental than others. And I was definitely thinking of your, Dot, among others, when I made the decision to spill it now.

The character of Jubal as written is strong enough to stand on her own almost anywhere. For that reason I think I can continue her story in a science fiction lite manner.

I still like my original plans for the character, but there is another path that would be true to the character as well, as I said.

And eventually I will be doing both, with a sort of choose your own adventure style link at the end of the final chapter of Jubal before I transition into the other two stories.

Although my plans change as life dictates, the current thought is to run a story in the universe, and then a story in the Jubalverse, alternating one to the other.

What this means, is that it will likely be a week and a half to two weeks after the end of Jubal before I pick up the story with Jubal after her surgery is complete and in her first year of college.

Well, half year, since she takes a break from school 'til January after her surgery.

Now, both stories will have some parallels, since Heredity Inc is run by the same person in both stories, with the same motivations. That does not mean they will be the same.

It will also allow me to run a Sliding Doors style parallel story, which has been something I've wanted to do for a while.

And yes, before you ask, I actually kind of liked that movie, although it might just be because of Gwyneth, who is one of my favorite actresses.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

I like it

I do like this story and I like Jubal's resolution to in-betweeness. As for your prepratory remarks, bring it on. I sounds like fun. Weird fun to be sure but then again it is your story.

Thanks

Joani

Dance, Love, and cook with joy and great abandon

Jubal: 7: Black Clouds

Jubal and Aaron, which one will inherit what?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Fascinating exploration of intersex.


Faerie (Or is that Joyce),I like the journeys inwards that you're exploring. For it is only from that inside position that we with transgendered duality, can begin to find ourselves and then start the journey outwards.

I love this story and if you as the author, have more than one story-line to explore, so much the better.

Having once found some sort of centering in our transgendered lives, we must then,necessarily look outwards and examine every route open to us. Even if we do not take every radial path that presents itself to us we are bound to try a few.

Excellent exploration of intersexed duality.
I find it very moving and rewarding because I've got a sexual duality myself. That is transvestite and partially transgendered.
Taking hormones, growing topside but leaving boy bits intact.

Your exploration of different routes and your refusal to force Jubal to yet choose despite some mild external pressure is a valuable insight into the internal problems facing intersexed duality.

XXX

Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg