Groans From Timbuctoo: 1. Like A Big Pizza Pie

Printer-friendly version

If I felt uncomfortable before, once we passed the midway point... "Let me put it this way," I said to van Els, "If you look up the word uncomfortable in the dictionary, you'll see my picture next to it."

"I'm sure it would be a lovely picture," one of the doctors told me. It might have been a nice compliment if he hadn't had his hand inside me as he said it.
 


Groans From Timbuctoo
by Kaleigh Way
 
Like A Big Pizza Pie

 

[I ought to warn you: this whole story is just an elaborate setup for a bad pun.]

 

My job is interesting, yeah, but the best part is that I work with an amazing variety of people, all of them top notch at what they do. Some of them are a little — or a lot — weak on their people skills, but that comes with the territory. But truthfully, that sort of thing is generally getting better: scientists, engineers, computer people (like me) are a lot more social, a lot less nerdy.

When I first started here, the really smart guys rubbed me the wrong way, but then I caught on: It was just their insecurity talking: as long as a genius feels that he's smarter than you, he likes you. It's the achilles heel of the super-intelligent, and — hey — if I play off their weakness, I don't really manipulate them. It's just to get along. And I get along pretty well with the brain boys. In fact, I get along pretty well with just about everybody.

And yet somehow, I always find myself eating alone... go figure.

So I'm sitting at lunch, wondering whether it's really a good idea to eat lasagna three days in a row, when Isaac van Els sits down opposite me. I don't know him, but I know who he is... he's some kind of engineer, and he's one of the lucky ones who gets to work directly with the alien technology that was found here in Timbuctoo, California. Most of us only get to work on the data, and never even *see* the alien tech. I'm on the team that works on machine translations of the alien language. It's challenging and interesting, but it is one godawful slog, let me tell you.

Anyway, van Els... he sits down with me and is oh-so-charming. He asks me about my work, shows what seems like real interest, asks very insightful questions, and then he goes so far as to make a couple of interesting suggestions. I get pretty excited, because his offhand remarks might end up giving me a huge shortcut to breaking down the alien documents.

Okay: so he was just buttering me up. I know that now. But oh, he really buttered me good. When he first sat down, I felt okay. I wasn't down or anything like that, but after we'd talked a while, I was really UP. His attention flattered me. His listening was a relief, because most people don't want to hear about my work. His suggestions were so exciting that I wanted to run back to my desk and start pounding out some new code.

But then he turned the conversation around. It was like we were sitting on this huge pivot, and he gently turned the whole conversation and the elation I was feeling — well, he pointed it all in a new direction.

He started talking about what he was doing, and it was fascinating. He wasn't boasting; that was the nice part. He was sharing. He made me feel like this was confidential, like maybe he wasn't even supposed to be telling me, but he didn't care.

"So what does the device do?" I asked.

"In a nutshell, it rewrites your DNA and forces your body to update."

"What do you mean, *update*?"

"Let's say a woman wants to have blonde hair. She steps on the pad, and the program rewrites her DNA. If it stopped there, she wouldn't suddenly have blonde hair. She'd have to wait until her follicles started making new hair before she saw any change."

I frowned. "How long would that take?"

"Who cares?" he countered. "Too long. The thing is, the machine forces your body to do a kind of reboot. It flashes all your cells so that the change is apparent immediately."

"So she'd go from brunette to blonde—"

"—in five seconds."

"Wow!"

"That's a trivial example. The aliens—"

I interrupted. "What's it really for? The aliens didn't bring it here for spa treatments, did they?"

"No," he said. "I was just about to tell you. We've managed to figure out that the aliens weren't human. They were humanoid. They looked kinda human, but not quite. This machine let them go the last mile and masquerade as one of us."

I swore in surprise. "Do you think there might still be some of them still here on earth?"

"No telling," he said with a shrug. He moved his coffee cup and started pushing the drips of coffee around with his fingertip. "So anyway..." he said with studied casualness, "how'd you like to give it a whirl?"

"Me? Whaaa—"

Well, we argued for a while. Or discussed, rather. We talked about protocols and rules (There are no rules if you get results, he said). We talked about safety (absolutely no danger, he said). I mentioned the terms permanent damage and side effects.

"Look," he said. "The thing takes a snapshot of your current status, so you can always revert to exactly what you are now. And the only side effect is that, no matter what, it will take ten years off your age."

"How's that?"

"You know that as you get older, your DNA kind of gets frayed at the ends? After a certain point, the copies degenerate. That's what aging is all about. This machine will knit up the frayed ends. Make you ten years younger."

Well, I'm only forty-three, but the idea of backing off to thirty-three was not without its appeal! Thirty-three was a good year for me, so...

Twenty minutes later, I was dressed in a tank top and shorts, barefoot, standing inside the alien device. A ray of light passed slowly over me and bam! my hair was blond. It was so funny, I had to laugh. A couple of doctors gave me a good going over and after their thumbs-up, van Els asked, "How about another go? Want to see the Japanese version of you? the Kenyan version?"

Well, we tried them both. I stood in the box, the ray of light passed over me, and bam! I became a Japanese version of myself! Bam! I turned into the Kenyan version of myself! It was exhilarating. The doctors checked me over thoroughly after each change, and said I looked better than when I walked in. I felt better, too. I jumped around a little, dancing and laughing.

"Okay," van Els said to me. "Anything else you'd like to try?"

"No," I said, a little taken aback. "I'm all out of ideas. Uh... I guess I'm ready to turn back."

"Hold on there," van Els laughed. "Just because you're out of ideas doesn't mean we are. We've got plenty of ideas."

I felt a little chill. Even though he was smiling, I felt that his inner mad scientist was showing. He noticed my discomfort and said, "Don't worry! It's nothing bad. Maybe a little embarrassing for you, but all in the interest of science."

I hesitated, so he added, "When we're done, you can go back to what you were, or what you were... with more."

"More what?" I asked.

"Whatever you want," he replied. "You name it. Just like in a fairy tale."

That sounded good, and maybe I did have some ideas... I could use some muscles, better teeth, more hair... "But what exactly do you want to do to me?" I asked.

"We want to make a radical change, one that goes all the way down to your bones and inner organs. That way we can really see what this machine is capable of."

"Specifically what does that mean?"

"All the changes we made so far are superficial. Think for a moment: What's the biggest, most elementary change we could make in you? One that involves every system in your body?"

"No," I said.

"It's reversible," he said.

"You're going to take pictures," I protested.

"This is science," he said. "We have to measure everything we can measure."

We went back and forth for a while, until it got late. We agreed that I would sleep on it, and I went to my quarters, still as the blackest man that I'd ever seen.

In the morning I met him in the lab and told him, "Tell me all the details."

"We're going to move you gradually from male to female, talking blood samples, doing ultrasound at some steps, X-rays at others. We'll do a full body scan at the beginning, middle, and end."

"And each step I'll be a little less male."

"And a little more female, right."

"And at the end, you'll change me back."

"Right. With whatever changes or enhancements you like."

"Okay," I said. "Let's do it."

The first couple transformations were not too embarrassing. My facial hair was going away... but once my testicles started shrinking and my breasts started growing, I began to feel pretty damn uncomfortable. I wasn't sure which was worse: being examined or being photographed.

"How are you holding up?" van Els asked.

"Every pass of that ray and I'm less of a man," I complained.

"And more of a woman," he countered. "This is very brave of you," he added. "And the results we're getting are remarkable."

If I felt uncomfortable before, once we passed the midway point... "Let me put it this way," I said to van Els, "If you look up the word uncomfortable in the dictionary, you'll see my picture next to it."

"I'm sure it would be a lovely picture," one of the doctors told me. It might have been a nice compliment if he hadn't had his hand inside me as he said it.

Yes, I said "inside me" — after the midpoint in the series of transformations, they started doing internal exams. During the first examination I joked, "Just like at the airport!" and everyone laughed. During the third exam, I snapped, "Do you dip your hands in ice water before you touch me?"

After the next to the last change, the staff were practically on tip toe, and I was in a total snit. I'd gone from a permanent blush to a state of irritation on a hair trigger.

"I'm sorry," van Els said, trying to look and not look as they examined me. "I know this is difficult for you, but we're almost done."

"If it's any consolation," the doctor said, "you look adorable." I blinked and fumed a little, because after all — and once again — he had his fingers inside me as he said it. Talk about bedside manner!

But still...

Before I stepped into the box the last time, I took a look in the mirror. God, I *did* look good! I'm pretty sure I was hot. I had a skinny little waist, a nice little butt and a pair of perky breasts. And I had one of those cute little faces that you want to kiss and kiss and kiss.

"How much of this is me?" I asked, twisting this way and that, and looking over my shoulder at the mirror.

"Um, if I understand the question, all we did was tweak the male/female switches."

"You mean the XY chromosomes?"

"Well, there's a bit more to it than that, but the short answer is yes. This is how you'd look if you were born a girl, all other things being equal."

"Hmmph," I said, considering, turning one way and another. I saw the doctor standing slack-jawed in the background, but I ignored him.

"Okay," I said. "Let's do the last one."

"Ready?" van Els said.

"I just said that I was," I growled.

"Sorry," he said with a gulp.

I stepped inside the device without bothering to put on the tank top and shorts, and as I stood there naked, the ray swept over me, and I felt the change happen.

I stepped from the box, and van Els whistled.

"Oh, baby!" one of the engineers ejaculated.

"I have to tell you this — and don't get mad," van Els said, "but you were already smoking hot before you stepped into that box, but now you are on freaking fire!"

"Huh," I said, looking into the mirror. "So percentage-wise, am I zero percent male now?"

"Yes," van Els agreed, "and 100 percent female."

"Now that's it: we've finished with the damn less ray, the one that makes me less of a man?"

"Oh, honey," van Els exclaimed, "That's not a less ray, that's a MORE ray."

© 2011 by Kaleigh Way

[OTHER STORIES]

up
129 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Whenna you swim, inna da

Whenna you swim, inna da sea, anna da eel, bitsa your knee, dat's a moray?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I always thought it was...

"When an eel lunges out and bites off your snout that's a moray."

GROAN.

NEVER be ashamed of beinging laughter to people.

Thank you.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I cannot fit the rhyme you

I cannot fit the rhyme you gave into "That's Amore"....


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Needs Another "It", I Think...

...to fit the meter. But I'd bet (without looking it up) that it's on YouTube somewhere.

Eric

Perhaps remove the warning

and add some spaces, either periods or hit the underscore icon a dozen or so times. As an aside, I wonder if the machine could have made her a playboy bunny for real and think that was normal?

Yes, Kaleigh, when you find that button, call me.

Yes, that button, that's the one!

Only my belief system, and bad looks prevent me from being like a total Bunny, Showgirl, kept woman, type demanding little thing with a sugar daddy and an obnoxious little dog.

Sigh

Gwendolyn

No! Those little dogs are

No! Those little dogs are just WRONG.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Maybe a Kitty then?

I could so see having a cute little long hair kitty that I could blame for hair in the drain and not me.

Yes, I want miles and miles of golden blonde hair, a cute button nose, with dimples that will hold red hots, and hips that'll knock over parking meters.

Yessss

G

I'm reminded of the Jeff

I'm reminded of the Jeff Foxworthy joke.

"Does this make me look fat?" "I don't care if she's knocking lamps off the table.."

Ever notice that nobody ever says.

"I want to be reasonably plain, I don't want to really stand out, and I'd like hair in an easy to care for style."


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Like A Big Pizza Pie

Eel laugh later. LOL

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

AMORE

Worthy of a collective groan from the crowd at Callahan's Crosstime Grill!

(Spider Robinson's Creation)

Thanks for the grin.

Pat

Yeah, speaking of puns.

""Oh, baby!" one of the engineers ejaculated."

Yes, I'll admit it's not an incorrect usage of the word ejaculated, but it's not entirely correct either :)

(certainly not -politically- correct)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

About ejaculating...

I was reading some book... I forget which... it was a bit dated, and everyone in the damn book was ejaculating when they got excited.

Was this "The Story Of O" by

Was this "The Story Of O" by chance? Maybe "Lady Chatterly's Lover"?

*runs and hides*


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Groan.....

Let's be fair... we were warned! :)

PB

Groaner

terrynaut's picture

In spite of the groaner at the end, I like this little story. I love your writing. Love your characters.

Thanks and kudos, Ms. Way.

- Terry

That song makes no sense

laika's picture

Because if the moon would hit your eye it would be with considerably more force than even the biggest pizza pie.
In which case amore, a morey or even a Moe ray ("Make a stooge out of me, will ya? Nyuck! Nyuck!")
would be the least of your worries. I'm just sayin' is all...

It's better humorous science fiction story than that pun deserves,
but I realize sometimes this can't be helped.
~~hugs, Veronica

I was thinking of you, Laika

Veronica! When I was asking myself Do I dare? I thought of you and some of the laughs you've so fearlessly delivered. You inspired me.

Hugs,

Kaleigh

I knew there was something

Angharad's picture

fishy going on, so did the ejaculating scientist fall for her, head over 'eels?

Angharad

Angharad

Another groan

Even though I could tell from the very beginning what the pun would be based on, I didn't twig the final wording until I reached it. As with the others, we can't say we weren't warned... :)

I suppose it's just as well they didn't experiment with physical age reduction (as opposed to merely sorting out the telomeres and other signs of aging)...

--B


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

* snerk ....

giggle.

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

Ow, ow, OWWW!

Incredibly well written, easy to believe it's really happening, and overwhelmingly painful at the end. In spite of the warning!

Lots of fun. Thanks for the grin!


The girl in me...
She's always there and she is amused!.

Welll Whore Ray for her ....

Not. I betcha he was lucky it did not change his mind :).

Kim

I'm Speechless

joannebarbarella's picture

Oh! The Chutzpah,

Joanne

S'cusa me..butta you see....

Andrea Lena's picture

...back in old dear BC that's Amore! Ciao, mi dolce sorella!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

So, Kaleigh,

Where's this machine again?

... And can anyone have a go?

Jessica
I don't just look it, I'm totally into giving this alien technology a blast - even though I'm perfect already

"....like a big pizza pie, that's Amoré...." I like that song,

but in this story, I guess what van Els was doing was taking the loneliest, most solitary person in the whole company and making him into something more appealing. But I couldn't help but kind of miss the point at the end, though.

"Oh honey," van Els exclaimed, "That's not a less ray, that's a MORE ray."

For me it would be a More ray, but for a man who likes being a man it is definitely a "less" ray.

Well, either way, this was a very entertaining story and it ended in the punch line perfectly. Thank you for sharing.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

You're right

... and as I was writing, when I got to the male-to-female transformations, I realized that that part wasn't really funny, and that the character would feel more dismay and hurt than anything else. If it really happened, chances are it would be a terribly scarring experience.

In fact, my original conception of this story was more along those lines: van Els was a much darker character, and the narrator more hurt than helped.

But... although I've tried to write darker things, I always stop at some point and don't finish. I realize it would be at the very least a good exercise for me, but on the other hand, I think that "funny" is what I'm good at, and yes, I did skip and gloss over the pain and humiliation the man would certainly have felt, but it would have been quite another story.

Well Kaleigh...

I find your style very easy to read and entertaining after it's own, lighthearted fashion.

After you "discovered" me, I felt obligated to "discover" you in return, and since this was recent, and short, and unlikely to drag me into a longer serial work, I decided to give you a try with this story.

I tend towards more emotionally charged work, myself. For years, that was also all I could ever stand to read as well. Kinda goes with the territory when you've walled and moated yourself off from any real human contact and find yourself needing a substitute to remain sane...

You are definitely a talented writer, and I look forward to having opportunity to read more of your work as I am able.

Oh, and bad puns - they are like a good snickerdoodle... Never can have enough!

Abigail Drew.

Abigail Drew.

Da' Pain!

I just had to start from the beginning, sigh. :)
Hugs
Grover