Singing to the Moon Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version
Singing to the Moon
Chapter 9

by Maggie Finson

 

Well I'm in trouble. Again.

My aunt, uncle, and sister Carly all grabbed me when I got home from school. I did have the presence of mind to at least think 'Oh, this is not good' when all three kind of pounced on me. I didn't have time for much else there, so give me a break, okay?

You try getting away from both Alphas and a Beta of a were clan. See how well you do.

So there.

They dragged me, okay I did walk, but you have to let a girl get some drama into things here, into my uncle's study. Again, not good. We only got taken there when we were in BIG trouble. Other times us kids never even dared touch the door. Oh, they closed the door once we were inside, too.

“What are we going to do with you, Cindy?” Aunt Cecily shook her head and gave me an unhappy look.

“Whats that supposed to mean?” I asked as innocently as I could.

“You're hanging out with a vampire and dating a Wolf, for starters. My uncle put in then shrugged. “But we'll get to those things later.”

Uh, oh. If they thought those things were minor enough to talk about later, I had a pretty good idea about where this was going. “I can't help it, things just kind of, you know, happen to me?”

“Things like sneaking out of the house again last night?” My aunt asked very mildly, which wasn't a real good sign either. “Or spying on an innocent family who have done nothing to deserve that?

Or how about you doing things to a certain SUV down the block from there. Which just happened to be full of Hunters?”

“Doing what?”

“Don't try to play innocent with us on this one young lady.” My aunt gave me that direct, gimlet kind of look that tells anyone who knows her they've messed up. “We know you did.”

“How could you know that?” I asked, genuinely surprised while thinking of ways I could just kill Dani or at least get back at the crazy but likeable bi...

“This.” Uncle Patrick handed me a DVD that prominently proclaimed, Cindy's First Prank!

Oh yeah, I was sooo going to get even with Dani. Some way, some time.

“How can I get it into your head that playing with these people isn't a game?” Aunt Cecily asked with a truly worried expression on her face. “Hunters are very dangerous, Cindy and one almost killed you already, and this time around they're even more dangerous than usual. Once they nearly wiped out the Lockes, did you know that?”

“They did?” I was amazed, impressed and just a bit frightened about that.

“Yes.” Uncle Patrick let out a heavy sigh. “They killed all the Locke females but one baby, and that was three generations ago. Tracy Locke is the first female wolf in seventy odd years. That is how dangerous these people are. Leave them to the elders, please.”

I shuddered a moment while rethinking what I'd done the previous night, or early morning. But didn't say anything.

“Did you really steal their license plates?” Carly asked in near wonderment.

“Yeah.” I sighed then brightened. “Want to see them?”

My sister let out a choking kind of noise that had me worried until I realized she was trying to hold laughter in. Even my aunt and uncle seemed a bit amused.

“Oh, Lady!” Carly finally managed to get out. “An infant and she's already collecting trophies!”

Oh gawd, how embarrassing. She called me an infant!

* * * *

The rest of that wasn't so bad, even if it did make for a long afternoon.

Evidently messing with the Hunters was lots worse than dating a wolf or hanging out with a crazy vampire. But I heard about those two things too, trust me. Worse, they didn't even touch on Chris dating Tracy Locke. Unfair!

Lately that was actually just another day in the life. Of me.

Hey, at least I didn't bore people or spend my time whining or crying.

I actually thought that was pretty good all things considered.

And they never once mentioned grounding me again, so that was a plus.

* * * *

“Hey.”

I turned from my locker to see Tracy Locke standing there with a hesitant smile on her face.

“Hey, Tracy.” I answered then dove back into the chaos of my locker in another attempt to find that elusive biology textbook so the rest of what I said was kind of muffled and echoed. Kind of neat effect, there. I'd have to remember that one. “What can I do for you?”

“Can we talk?” She asked and looked so worried, that I just nodded and gave her arm a little squeeze.

“Sure, when do you want to do it?”

“Now?”

I had a class soon, but the look on her face told me she really needed to talk with me, so I shrugged and answered. “Okay. Let's get out of here so we don't get dragged back into class. There's a pretty good place about five minutes from here that the teachers don't know about yet, so we should be able to talk there without being hassled.”

“Okay.” She smiled and let me tell you, if I'd still been a guy I'd have done anything to see that again. As it was, I still felt good that she had favored me with it, even if it made me just a bit jealous.

The 'safe place' was in a shop that had only been closed for a few weeks. One of the sheets of plywood covering the doors and windows had kind of come loose — with help, but kids don't rat each other out for little things like that.

We settled into what had once been a little break room and got ourselves comfortable. It was pretty dark but we both knew the other could see well enough.

“So what's so important?” I opened the conversation since she had asked me for it.

“Its about me and Chris. You’re not freaked we’re dating are you?” She asked point blank.

“What?” I gave her a curious look and went on. “Why would I be? He likes you, you like him, none of my business if you don't hurt him.”

She sighed. “I thought maybe you didn’t want me dating your cousin”

I almost told her I was dating her cousin, but decided that was something for later. I was still feeling my way around all this 'being a girl' thing and just wasn't sure if that would have been right to do.

“Nothing like that.” I assured her. “I'm new in town too, so I'm still kind of groping my way through what I can and can't do, you know?”

“Yeah.” She let out a sigh and I had a very strong impression that she was groping around for things as much as I was. “I know what you mean.”

“Ahh, just be nice to him.” I shrugged then grinned. “Even if you end up breaking it off with him. If he does that to you and it hurts you, believe me, I'll give him a ration of shit over it.”

She got the implication that I'd do that to her, too, if she was nasty to my brother. I knew I liked this girl.

We spent the rest of our stolen hour just talking before we sneaked back out to head back to school. Our were senses, even in human form, were really good for that kind of thing by the way.

* * * *

I was still watching the not-were Harpers. That family was just too normal. Almost like they were being all bland and uninteresting on purpose.

And had to work at it off and on. I watched the husband hold himself back when some big, young ass who smelled like some kind of were was hassling them and saying things that couldn't have been good to the guy's wife. And she was holding back just as much. More interesting, it wasn't because they were afraid of the guy at all. In fact when that happened I caught an elusive scent from then that was like nothing I'd smelled before and it wasn't human. I really got the idea from that encounter that if the jerk had pushed, these Harpers would have hurt him even if they really didn't want to do that.

Curiouser and curiouser, as Alice once said.

I know it was driving me nuts.

Oh, I kind of accidentally tripped one of those Hunter guys that were watching them too. No big deal, just a ditzy, clumsy, teenaged girl kind of thing and I was apologizing for all I was worth once I'd done it, blushing in embarrassment and humiliation at being so clumsy. It was fun actually.

I was beginning to understand the power of being a pretty girl. Huh.

And okay, I know, I know.

But I just couldn't leave this alone.

People have always said curiosity killed the cat. Obviously they didn't know that much about coyotes.

* * * *

“Watchya doin'?”

I jumped a little and actually bit my tongue there before I turned to give a grinning Dani a glare. “How do you do that?”

“It's an art, babe.” The vampire grinned and kissed my cheek. “You're figuring it out yourself. I just had a head start on you.”

“I may have a heart attack before I do that.” I grumbled then chuckled and kissed her cheek in response. “You bitch.”

She laughed and nodded. “Yeah, I am that. But I have fun with it.”

“I noticed.” I shook my head. “Oh, thank you SO MUCH for sending that video to my uncle.”

“Hey, you'll love having that in your personal archives later on, trust me.” She grinned.

“I'll thank you later.” I grimaced then had to grin. “Like your top.”

She was wearing a black T-shirt that showed no little wear, but the neat thing about it was the skeleton's hands that seemed to be cupping her breasts.

“Oh, thanks.” She smirked. “Had it for years. I bought it to see if it would piss off Mama-san. She just thought it was amusing.”

“Can't win 'em all.” I shrugged.

“Oh that was actually a win.” Dani admitted. “Trust me, you don't want Carmilla mad at you.”

“I kind of got that idea.” I nodded, then had to ask. “So why did you do it if you knew that?”

“Pushing the envelope, learning the limits.” She shrugged in her turn. “Had to find out.”

“You are nuts.” I flatly told her.

“Well, yeah.” She nodded. “You got any new information to share?”

Now just how do you answer something like that?

I just shook my head and kept quiet.

There are times when you just can't win. That conversation was one of those.

“So.” She asked again. “Whatcha doin'?”

“Watching them.” I pointed to several people just wandering around as if they were normal and a couple of SUVs they'd gotten out of. More Hunters.

“Bad people to mess with, hon.” Dani told me, then added. “Really bad. You really should let the elders handle this.”

“Then why haven't any of them done anything yet?” I asked in frustration.

“Rules, hon.” Dani sighed. “If they just come to look around we aren't supposed to do anything to them. That way they go back to their caves or whatever they live in and are happy. Attack them just for being here and they have a reason to retaliate.”

“They're up to something.” I countered.

“They always are.” Dani shrugged again. “But if one of us 'notices' and does something about it, they just go away then show up later in force. Bad things happen when they do that.”

“Like the Lockes?”

“Yeah, exactly like that.” She nodded without a trace of her usual humor. “And like the time they killed almost every daughter Carmilla and Wisteria had. Those people are really bad news, little girl. And that isn't an insult because you have so much to learn here even if you are pretty damned good at some things already. Please stay away from them.”

“You said please?” I was almost in shock.

“Yeah, I did.” She hugged me. “I really like you and would be really pissed off if you went and got yourself killed just because you can't stop poking at those guys. It isn't worth the trouble. We watch them, they go away. Better to leave it at that, trust me.”

“But what if they're here for something else?” I asked. “Something besides just checking things out here?”

“The elders would know.” Dani assured me. “Don't start a war here over some scouts, okay? They come in, see what we want them to, then they leave. We attack their scouts they will answer in force and that is never good, believe me.”

“Okay.” I nodded while being a bit irritated that I had been saddled with a baby sitter even if she was cool.

But I also knew the Hunters weren't just scouting in town. They had a specific target. And I for some reason, needed to keep them from doing what they wanted with that target.

I did, of course, keep that to myself. Obviously, no one else was quite ready to believe me on that one.

But I wasn't going to stop, either.

I had a baby to save.

up
245 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Brilliant, Maggie.

I love how easily one can relate to Cindy on a personal level. I'm looking forward to seeing the next chapter and hopefully soon. :)

Peace be with you and Blessed be

I'm starting to like Cindy!

But she needs to TALK to her family. Don't these people ever communicate until it's almost too too late?

I don't suppose it would make for much drama though. Forget I said anything!

Peace!
Cindilee

Why she might not talk to them...

One thing that I think is being forgotten here is that she isn't a normal human. I'm under the impressions that the Weres tend to take on some of the traits of their animal side. Coyotes are supposed to be sneaky, highly intellegent tricksters, similiar to foxes. Does someone who behaves in that kind of wya sound like someone who would go to authorities who would likely tell them to stay at home and let the adults make it all better? It doesn't to me and I'd have to say that she (in this case) would be right in thnking that. I do understand what you're saying though. It would probably be helpful, at the least, to have someone watching her back besides a loopy vampire with a few screws loose in her head.

As for forgetting you said anything, impossible at this point. This is the internet. Some things you just can't un-see.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Being oneself and being pulled qaside

Neat chapter.
Spirited Cindy, has three, four dear people giving her a talking
But in her own way keeps thinking and walking
I think the words of such people registers with merit

But they too seem to recognize that Cindy's gift stirs her to continue
They are no longer seeking to stop her, but to protect and caution her.

The role of the Elders surfaces, their wisdom to see a larger picture is made known
They are not a group of old people who are out of touch nor inactive.
Like Mag's humor revealed in Cindy and Dana
Cindy is having fun experiencing her feelings as a girl.

Jessie ;) ^_^ Well done,

P.S. I know this has just been posted but like Loki I am already for more. WOW!!

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

About the P.S.

I know, right?

Peace be with you and Blessed be

“Watchya doin'?” ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... seems to be Dani's catch phrase. Is she by any chance related to or friends with a little girl named Isabella? :-)

BE a lady!

Hmmmmm.......

Maybe? Depends on which one you're talking about... lol.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Why doesn't she just tell

Why doesn't she just tell them that she has to look after the child? After all, she'll just be telling the alpha and beta.

At this point to anyone but her there is no proof

... of the specialness of the child and her protectors would feel there is no need to risk her life to do so.

Hey, as a parent, I would take that attitude too. She is considered a special child to them so why take needless risks even if they child may need protecting.

Kim

Fun and light hearted!

Maggie, I can always count on you to deliver the fun and light hearted stories even when the protagonist is not having it! My what a breath of fresh air. :)

Gwendolyn

Fun and light hearted!

Maggie, I can always count on you to deliver the fun and light hearted stories even when the protagonist is not having it! My what a breath of fresh air. :)

Gwendolyn

Typical teenager

Cindy may be a Were but she is definitly a typical teenager thinking that she can handle her problems. So, as a typical teenager she is NOT telling the people who can actually handle the problems what the problem is. She KNOWS that the Hunters are after what everyone else thinks is a normal family. But because she is a know-it-all teenager she will not tell anyone until it is either too late or almost too late.

Do you really think anyone would listen?

I think everyone would get on her case, telling her she's making too much out of this, she should stay out of other were's business and leave the norms alone.

I think that Cindy is perfect as a coyote. Even in Native American Mythology, Coyote was known as a trickster. So Cindy is hard to restrain, a prankster and not good at following rules. What's new?

Once more Maggie has created a character that is fun to read, but possibly quite dangerous to mess with. I like her!

Wren

Thanks, Wren.

Actually Coyote was kind of my pattern for Cindy from the start as people have started to notice. *grin*

I'm happy that you're enjoying the story and like the character, too.

Maggie

Even if they did...

Do you really think that she would actually *trust* any of them with a mission given to her by Lady Luna herself? She doesn't strike me as the type that would.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Non-were Harpers

We've been told on a few occasions that they seem almost too normal; they weren't afraid when threatened by a were, and the Hunters seem to be very interested in them. Given the Hunters raison d'être is to track down and eliminate the Unseen, why would they be showing interest in an apparently normal family?

Coupled with Cindy's mission to somehow protect the family's baby, I have a sneaky suspicion they're members of an Unseen faction and are in deep stealth - as Cindy's noticed, it's almost as though they're trying too hard to mask all signs of other-ness.

However, as Dani (and her family) have warned, it would be a very bad idea to mess directly with the Hunters - the SUV prank was just about on the limits of acceptability as (a) they were still in the car and not paying attention to their surroundings, (b) she quite literally worked under their radar, and (c) didn't actually approach any individual Hunters. Tripping up a Hunter scout, on the other hand, was sailing into very dangerous territory.

-oOo-

Meanwhile, it still tickles me that both Cindy and Tracy keep meeting each other, both have a sense of kindred about the other, yet neither's noticed the elephant in the room - namely the circumstances surrounding their arrival in Ravencrest and the paper-thin excuse for their alter ego's sudden coincident disappearance are both very similar. I suppose it's a combination of both being preoccupied with other stuff and a form of inverse change blindness - because they've been (a) told of the change, and (b) their counterpart doesn't look like their previous form; they don't notice the various idiosyncrasies that could cast doubt on the story - even taking into account their own transformation.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Another wonderfull chapter.

Another wonderfull chapter..These are a full of fun as the pixies and team Kimba..Thanks

alissa