Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2090

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2090
by Angharad

Copyright © 2013 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, the way to a girl’s is–shopping. So that’s what we opted to do. Meems stayed with Jacquie and Stella, who looked after the little ones, while Trish, Livvie, Cindy, Danny–yes, Danny, and I went shopping. Not sure what’s going on there, but he decided to tag along with Cindy. Oh well he can help carry the stuff we buy.

I had a list of school stuff we needed but seeing as they can grow visibly in six weeks or so, I decided I’d wait a month before spending another fortune. Today we were going to spend some cash and everyone would get something new, including Danny.

In the end he did very well, getting new underpants, trousers and a shirt, Trish got new trainers and shorts, Livvie got a skirt and top, Meems a new skirt and top, Cindy got a dress, new shorts and a new bra and panties set. Me? I got to choose where we went for lunch.

Seeing as I don’t allow them to have beef burgers very often, they all wanted to go to a certain burger franchise where they all stuffed cheese burgers and fries–those thin stick like things which carry more fat than thick cut chips. I had a chicken roll and coffee–yeah with the cup which warns me it might contain hot fluids.

Even all that bilge was quite expensive, and for the money I spent I could have cooked a much tastier and nutritious meal–but the kids were happy. For them a visit to a burger bar was a treat. Strange creatures, kids.

After lunch, we did a few bookshops and we each had a new book–mine was the latest Donna Leon and more tales of Commissario Brunetti. Trish, opted for a Manga book which showed she doesn’t just eat textbooks, Livvie wanted some book on Portsmouth, Danny found a football book he didn’t have and I got a couple of Secret Seven originals for Meems in a charity shop. Cindy asked for a book on makeup and beauty–I thought it was a waste of money, but it was what she wanted. Finally, I bought her one of those makeup sets they sell with loads of different eyeshadows and lipsticks, most of which you’d never use unless you’re a teenager–well she is, and she thought she was in heaven.

I told her to get some advice from Julie and Phoebe on how to use the different things, and while we were in the shop, I got her a pack of facial wipes as well. Cindy had finished the first Gaby book and wondered why they didn’t have any in Waterstone’s. I explained they were acquired via the internet, but she could borrow the next ones, provided she promised to return them. She did most emphatically.

I know if it came to it, I could download them via the net, but holding a book is such a nice experience, especially in bed. Then I had a thought. While they were busy eating ice creams, I ordered a kindle on my Blackberry with next day delivery. Once I got it, I’d download all the Gaby stories for her as e-books, and she could have that as a Christmas present, albeit six months early and it was significantly cheaper than an iPad. Generous I might be, stupid I ain’t.

David had a made a beautiful veal ham and egg pie which we ate with salad and new potatoes in garlic butter. Fresh fruit was the dessert with single cream. I don’t normally do anything with veal because I have qualms about how they kill young calves, but if they didn’t, we’d have no fresh milk. I’d hate to be a cow or any other farm animal, as so often they are just used as industrial units, either for milk or meat, and every little bit of them is processed to maximise profits. I don’t have a problem with making profits, after all farmers and others have livings to earn, but it’s so industrialised and soulless. Chickens go in one door and goodness knows how many products come out the others, even the feathers being ground up to use in animal feeds.

Anyway, the pie was delicious, better than anything you’d see in a supermarket and we all had a big thick slice of it, except Simon, who had two. David makes amazing pastry. Whichever variety it is, it’s heavenly. I keep asking him to do some profiteroles but he pretends he forgot. If he doesn’t do some on my birthday, I’ll make my own–that’ll teach him.

The next morning, the kindle arrived quite early on and I sent the children out to play in the garden–well, Cindy wanted to practice her makeup techniques, so she and the girls played with that, while Tom supervised Danny in the vegetable garden until it got too hot. I hid in my study and downloaded the Gaby books, now she’d have her own personal copies. I fitted it into the little carry-case thing and wrapped it in gift paper and attached a label from: ‘All of us.’

On the Friday, we went to the beach at Hayling Island again. It was packed, and this time I walked very carefully, avoiding booby-trapped children. We came home by lunch time because it was getting so hot, and instead, David had them making ice cream with the machine. That went down very well, and so did the ice cream.

In the afternoon, Cindy’s mother phoned to say she would collect her tomorrow morning. I was glad Granny was improving so much, but began to feel sad that Cindy was leaving us. Having got to know her a little better, she was a really nice young woman, but she isn’t mine and she had her own mother who was probably missing her as much as I would.

It was all tears on Friday evening, and the girls hugged each other with tearful expressions. Simon suddenly clapped his hands. “Okay, you lot I have an announcement to make.” Everyone went quiet, including yours truly.

“We are going up to Scotland for two weeks at the beginning of August. You can bring two friends with you, but that’s it. I’ve got a people carrier coming for the period, so if we take that and one other car, we should manage.

This was news to me, and I wasn’t entirely happy that he hadn’t discussed it with me beforehand. We’d have words later. The girls immediately nominated Cindy as their guest and I asked Danny if he’d like to ask Peter. He didn’t think so. Given how much Danny had promised to support Peter, he seemed to have forgotten in recent weeks. I’d speak to him later as well.

So, Cindy would ambush her mother when she came to collect her, with the matter of spending a couple of weeks in a castle–wonderful, not. The girls were so excited they were dancing round the kitchen table. Danny, while happy to tag along, slipped away from the celebration and I followed him. I wanted to know what was up between Peter and he, because previously he’d boasted about having a castle like Trish did with Cindy. There was something not right and I was going to get to the bottom of it.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
244 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh, my...

Some challenges ahead I can see...

Cindy's mom - with all the gifts from Cathy ... Will likely wonder how she can compete... (Could cause issues.)
Danny - and wondering what's up there...
Trish... Without her own electronics...

Simon - deciding on a family vacation without discussing? Ooops! It'd serve him right, if Cathy couldn't go due to commitments she has that he didn't consult her on.

Thanks,
Annette

Profiteroles

I just Googled those suckers, and They don't really look like the healthy eating Cathy is always on about. Oh well, the kids have their McD's and Cathy has her profiteroles.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

You think that's bad

Angharad's picture

remember I live in the South West of England where they make and sell clotted cream - cholesterol in a pot (death on a plate) but is delicious on scones with jam and a pot of tea, usually known as a cream tea or locally as a Dorset cream tea. In August I'll be running a bike ride out to one of the villages to eat a cream tea - pity you live so far away, you could have come.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clotted_cream

Angharad

But Only

If I was in a car, or at least a moped. If I tried to ride I'd keel over! The name "Clotted" always gave me mental images of some vile green putrid mess. The Norwegians drink some kind of sour milk and if you shake a carton you can hear the chunks in it. Eccccccch! I much prefer a Belgian Waffle with powdered sugar and fresh sweet whipped cream. No doubt it's just as bad health-wise but that's my vice. In Antwerp there was a little cafe near the Central Station, called "The Normandie". I used to stop in every Saturday for a fresh waffle.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Yeah but don't forget Ang,

If you've just cycled out a goodly distance to get to that cream tea, you'll at least have burned up a few of those nasty calories. The girls in our club often like to smirk at the resentful fatties when we turn up at one of our regular café stops and they shovel down the most obscene quantities of grub whilst yet staying svelt thanks to the cycling. If you cycle a lot it's great when you can pull over and stuff your face with the most obscene pastries. Happy cycling with your cream tea ride. I'd love to drop by but I'm busy through the whole of August.

Coincidence, but I just stopped by in Dame Pattie's Castle at the top of the Swansea Valley this lunch time where I had a huge coffee and a fruit scone with clotted cream and rasberry jam beside the lake; ... sinfully delicious!!!

NB! These are NOT the girls in the cycle club.

bev_1.jpg

There's no knowing with children.

So Danny seems to have 'gone off' Peter. There's no knowing what the issue is but I'll hazard it's something to do with school and perceived new sexualities since the French debacle.

Kids can be easily pleased cos it's usually material pleasures they seek.

Pleasant reading Cathy, thanks.

Still lovin' it,

Bevs.

X

bev_1.jpg

That's a husband that

wants to die. 3 things always get discussed, large purchases, Inviting Guests and Vacations away, especially if it is to somewhere one of the 2 would feel it is not a vacation.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

I have a Kindle too

They are wonderful for reading BCTS and Ebooks. Bike is especially great. You can read BCTS anywhere there's WIFI or Ebooks. It has great other APPS.

Much Love,

Valerie R

OH, poor dear Simon.

I do hope that Cathy is not too rough on the chap. He might actually think he is pleasing Cathy because they had originally talked of a Wedding Blessing there. He is probably not aware of her ill feelings about the place. Cathy has the temper of a mad cat. I do hope that she maintains a degree of decorum as she flays his skin.

And mean time, according to the BBC, Male Doctors are getting far too scruffy.

Gwendolyn

I probably missed the main

I probably missed the main point of this episode (I usually do miss the main point in each episode somehow), but what is Danny up to? And what about Cindy? Are the two somehow involved, or is Danny still needing time to sort out his feelings between girlfriends (Cindy), and a boy friend ( Peter)? And if he knows Cindy is a boy, then how does he resolve the feellings he possibly has between the two?

You Darn Cats!!! (purr)

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Given how hot

its been in the UK recently, Maybe a couple of weeks in a cold drafty castle is not that bad an idea .... Of course that is as long as there are no unwelcome guests like ghosts or russians staying there with you... Creaking doors long passageways things that go bump in the night can all play havoc with your imagination , Especially when you are not even in double figures age wise!

Kirri

Sounds like Simon though

Suddenly gets his laird of he manor hat on and thinks he can decide to take a major vacations without a by your leave.

He deserves a smack to the back of the head.

Kim