Camp Kumoni : 22

Printer-friendly version
*Yo Eric! How’s it hanging? Dude, when you posting your next Raven?*
 
Victoria was startled... Yo Eric? Dude? The Latina felt lightheaded and fuzzy. Eric? Erika? Oh my God! It all fits! Victoria sat down hard in a chair and stared at the screen. Eric Martin…….Erika Martinez. I am so stupid. The shyness, the similar looks, the breast forms, the duct tape…. Don’t think about what he does with that... Freaking out about dating and kissing a cute guy?…… Oh my God! Erika is Eric the plague!!!

 
Camp Kumoni
By Anistasia Allread
sunlitforest.jpg

Chapter 22
 
Erika was taken off guard by the question, especially coming from Katie. “Well…….. I guess. I’ve always known that I’ve been attracted to


Erika was taken off guard by the question, especially coming from Katie. “Well…….. I guess. I’ve always known that I’ve been attracted to girls.” Erika wasn’t sure exactly how to answer.

“I mean, was there a certain time in your life when you just suddenly knew that you liked them better than boys?”

“I have always been more comfortable around them.” Erika was treading carefully, not knowing where this was leading. “Girls just make me feel very warm and giddy inside. Guys never had.” Did I just say ‘giddy’? God this is a nightmare.

“Are you physically attracted to them?”

“Guys or girls?” Erika asked for clarification.

“Girls. Are you physically attracted to them?”

Erika looked from Katie to the masked woman who seemed to not be listening to the conversation. How should I respond to that? Erika wondered. Flat out yes? Or more tactfully? She is asking straightforward questions. Does she want straight forward answers? “Yes, I am physically attracted to some girls.” Erika decided that honesty would be the best answer. “Does that bother you?” she asked with sincerity.

“No.” Katie was quick with the answer. “I was just wondering.”

The masked woman pulled out some superglue and began applying long plastic looking ‘claws’ to Erika’s fingers.

“Have you had, ah... physical relations with a... with a girl?” Katie blushed and wouldn’t meet Erika’s gaze.

“No, not really.” Erika sighed. “I haven’t been able to find a girl who I like, who would consider a relationship with me.”

The masked woman took the other hand and began applying the ‘claws’ to it. A second masked woman who finished with her client scooted her chair closer and began working on Erika’s second hand.

“Wow, you’re being double teamed.” Katie smiled at Erika.

The masked woman took out a device, fit it over her ‘claws’ one at a time, checked the length and clipped off a large portion of the plastic nail. The two women, each with a file in hand, began filing on Erika’s nails.

“Are you attracted to anyone in our cabin?” Katie asked.

How do I answer this one? Erika looked and met Katie’s beautiful eyes and smiled. “You all are beautiful in your own way. You all can be very attractive.” She tried to evade.

“But is there anyone in particular that you find attractive?” Katie pressed.

“You can’t tell anyone.” Erika looked hard at Katie. The whole cabin already knew; why did Katie need to be asking?

“I won’t say a word.” Katie promised.

“Not even to Dani?”

“I promise.” Katie looked met Erika’s gaze.

“I have been attracted to Samantha for a long time.” Erika confessed. The girls already knew; what harm would it cause for her to confirm it? “Yes, I was Summer’s friend, but I have been in love with Samantha since the day I met her.”

“Why Samantha?” Katie posed. “She has been nothing but mean, and inconsiderate of your feelings, all week.”

“She’s still mourning the loss of her sister.” Erika excused Samantha’s behavior. “I don’t know what it is…” her eyes took on a faraway look. “There is just something about her that I find attractive.”

The two women began applying a smelly substance to her nails using a brush and some kind of powder.

“Does she know that you have feelings for her?”

“Don’t you go telling her!” Erika turned a cold gaze upon the tall girl.

“So, she doesn’t know.” Katie confirmed with a sad smile. “Don’t worry, I won’t say anything.”

Dani walked next to Samantha down to the end of the block to where the secondhand clothing store was located. The two walked into the store and were affronted by the smell of old fabric. The ancient brick walls were lined with tall shelves containing glassware, and mismatched, chipped china. Under the shelves were racks upon racks of clothing.

“Oh my God, I could spend hours in here.” Samantha gasped. “This is a virtual treasure trove waiting for me to dig into.”

“We are here for Krystal, not for you.” Dani reminded her.

“Where is Krystal?” Samantha scanned the store for the large girl.

“When I came to get you, she said she was going upstairs.” Dani explained.

The two girls climbed the stairs to the loft. At the top of the stair, they were met by shelf upon shelf of books. Paperbacks of all kinds crammed the shelves, from trashy romance novels, to bad murder mysteries. Hardbacks on how to maintain your 1973 Ford to greasy cookbooks.

“Oh my God!” Samantha gasped. “And you let her come up here unsupervised? We are never going to get her back down stairs.”

“Krystal?” Dani called out. “Krystal?”

“I’m right here!” A soft soprano called out from a couple of rows away.

“We don’t have a whole lot of time left Krystal.” Samantha urged. “Let's find you a swimsuit and some clothes.”

“Alright.” Krystal sighed. The old worn floorboard creaked as she walked across them to join her cabin mates at the stairs.

“Did you at least look at clothes?” Samantha asked.

“Kind of.” Krystal shrugged.

Samantha groaned and took the large girl by the hand and began to lead her down the stairs. “What sizes do you wear?” She asked.

“Well, I’m not really sure.” Krystal tried to shrug the question off. Samantha was already looking out across the racks of clothes, looking for size signs. When they reached the main floor, Samantha began leading Krystal towards the back of the store.

“Now seriously, Krystal, what sizes do you wear?” Samantha asked again.

Krystal leaned close to Samantha’s ear and whispered the sizes into her ear.

“That’s nothing to be embarrassed about.” Samantha gave larger girl a reassuring grin. “Let's see what they have here.” Samantha began shifting through the hangers looking for key items. She began pulling hangers from the rack and handing them to Krystal. “Take these, and these.” She stated absentmindedly. “Oh, the color is a bit faded on this, but you should try these on too.”

After Krystal had half a dozen items, Samantha directed her to the fitting rooms. “I want to see how they look on you. Even if they are too big, or you don’t like them.” She ordered. “If they are too small, noticeably too small, then don’t worry about showing me.”

“What should I do?” Dani asked, helplessly.

“Start looking for anything that looks like a swimsuit that will fit Krystal, and beach cover-ups.” Samantha directed. “I also need you to keep track of the time. I’ll lose myself and track of time in here.” She smiled.

Samantha took several other items off the racks and carried them over to the fitting rooms. “How are things going in there?” She tossed the clothes half over the top of the door and let them drape.

“More?” Krystal whined.

“Gotta have variety and something you’ll like.” Samantha took a few steps back. “You have anything on yet?”

“Hold on.” Krystal fumbled around a few seconds more before opening the fitting room door.

“Okay, that looks alright. How does it feel?” Samantha looked at Krystal from different angles.

“It feels alright, I guess.” Krystal shrugged.

“Okay, next.” Samantha left the fitting room area and found Dani with a couple of prospects.

“Sam, how did you and Erika meet?” Dani inquired. She was given a mission by Katie and she needed to get answers.

“Hmmm?” Samantha looked through what Dani had picked.

“How did you and Erika meet?”

“Through my sister.” Samantha selected two suits and discarded the third. “I told you that.”

“Are you two friends?” Dani pried.

“Of course we are.” Samantha started towards the fitting rooms. Krystal was waiting for her with the door open. “The cut is all wrong.” Samantha analyzed. “It’s cutting you too tight in the butt. Throw those in a ‘no’ pile. And take these in with you.” She handed Krystal the swimsuits.

“How long have you two been friends?” Dani sat down in a chair nearby.

“For a while now, I guess.” Samantha replied. “Where is this going?” she looked at the blonde girl.

“Katie and I were just wondering. It’s kind of interesting how friends meet and why they become friends.” Dani sighed. “Kind of like Katie and I. we met just this last week and we are, like, best friends.”

“I don’t have to come out wearing this do I?” fear crept into Krystal’s soft voice.

Samantha walked over to the door. “Just open this a crack so that I can see how it fits.” Samantha instructed.

The door opened a crack. Samantha viewed the swimsuit and how it fit on Krystal. “Okay, it’s not bad.” She smiled. “Try on the other one. If it fits, I’ll have you choose between the two.”

“There aren’t any others?” Krystal asked.

“There is one other, but it is pink with white daisies on it and a ruffled skirt.” Samantha explained.

Krystal shuddered. “I’ll be fine with one of these.” She closed the door behind her.

“Are you just friends, or are you like, soul mates?” Dani questioned.

“We’re good friends.” Samantha’s voice was starting to take on an edge to it. “Why all of the questioning about Erika and me?”

“I was just wondering.” Dani pouted. “Sorry.” The small blonde got up and began exploring other parts of the store. Erika had feelings for Samantha, but Samantha was either unaware of them or didn’t care. Dani shook her head, causing her blonde curls to bounce.

The masked woman dragged a brush loaded with a clear top coat across each of Erika’s now long, squared off, blue fingernails. “You look so pretty.” Her eyes twinkled.

“Thank you.” Erika smiled. “How are we doing on time?” Erika asked Katie.

Katie looked at the clock and smiled. “We have enough time for you to dry those before we pick Samantha and Dani up at the second hand store and meet up with everyone back at the Laundromat.”

“Dry them?” Erika looked confused.

“You come.” The masked woman stood up and guided Erika over to a device that contained what looked like a U.V. light. “You put dere for tree minute.” She nodded.

Erika sat down and stuck her new, longer nails under the light and looked hopelessly at Katie. Katie chuckled, got up and walked over to keep Erika company.

“Wow. I still can’t get over how great you look.” Katie smiled.

A few minutes later, a timer on the U.V. light made a ‘ding’ and the light turned off.

“You ready to go?” Katie asked looking at her watch. “We have about twenty minutes before we have to load up the bus.”

Erika nodded and was about to brush her fringe out of her face, but caught herself, reminded of Sasha’s words to give it a chance.

The two girls waved good bye to the masked women as they left. Erika’s long blue nails catching her eye as she did so.

“We were just coming to get you.” Katie called down the street. Dani, Samantha and Krystal were immerging from the second hand store with two bags. The trio waited for them and they started off to the Laundromat together.

“Your hair looks great.” Krystal said after staring at Erika.

“Thanks.” Erika smiled back. “Did you find a swimsuit?”

“Yes.” Krystal moaned. She really wasn’t looking forward to showing her chubby body off in a swimsuit. Even a one-piece.

Victoria finished folding the last t-shirt of the load and checked the dryers to see how well the other loads were drying before heading over to Erika’s laptop. She was thinking of checking out some of her favorite writing sites that she hadn’t had a chance to check in on since coming to camp. She was about to click on the web link when a folder labeled ‘Comix’ caught her eye. Let’s see how good Erika is at drawing. Victoria was curious.

She clicked on the folder and was surprised to see a large list of commix. She clicked on one and waited for a moment as the file loaded revealing what looked like a cross between a superhero and a villain, dressed all in black and beating up a football player. At the bottom it was signed Summer Thompson and Eric Martin. Eric Martin, ‘the plague’?

“Why would Erika have drawings of Eric Martin’s? Nah. It couldn’t be?” she muttered to herself. She quickly closed the folder, feeling a bit ashamed for snooping into someone else’s personal files, and opened the web.

She typed in a search for Petulant Poetess, One of her favorite sites to explore short stories and writings of virtually unknown authors. Victoria’s heart sped a few beats, one of her favorite authors; Anistasia Allread had posted her newest chapter of one of her favorite stories, ‘Healing a Princess.' She clicked on the posting and began reading. She was only a page or two into the story when an instant message popped up.

*Yo Eric! How’s it hanging? Dude, when you posting your next Raven?*

Victoria was startled... Yo Eric? Dude? The Latina felt lightheaded and fuzzy. Eric? Erika? Oh my God! It all fits! Victoria sat down hard in a chair and stared at the screen. Eric Martin…….Erika Martinez. I am so stupid. The shyness, the similar looks, the breast forms, the duct tape…. Don’t think about what he does with that... Freaking out about dating and kissing a cute guy?…… Oh my God! Erika is Eric the plague!!! The comix was signed by her... Him... by Eric.

“You okay?” Rachel entered the Laundromat carrying a bag of supplies. “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“I’m... I’m... not sure.” Victoria’s mind was in a whirl. Erika was Eric? Whoa! The plague was such a different person than Erika! The plague was a morbid, fumbling, bumbling, idiot who ruined everything he touched. Erika was a positive person, whose smile lit up the room. Her quiet but honest manner was one that the other girls looked up to. She was gentle and fun. Was she really a he? Why? Why would the plague go to summer camp as a girl? “I think I just need a moment.” She mumbled.

“I’ll start folding this load.” Rachel offered. “You really should put the laptop away before Phoenix arrives.”

Victoria looked back at the screen. She put her fingers to the keys and responded.

*Who are you trying to reach, Eric, or Erika?*

*Isn’t this Eric?* Came the response.

Victoria’s heart skipped a beat. *Eric Martin, right?*

*yes, who is this?* came the response.

Victoria, pulled the power cord out of the computer clicked the shutdown mode. She didn’t realize that her breaths had become short, and fast. Eric Martin, ‘the plague’ was sleeping in her cabin, saw her change clothes. More importantly, he had… he had seen her... naked!

To Be Continued...

 
End of Chapter Twenty-Two

up
219 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yet another problem

Things are starting to get rather messy for Erika. The lesbian angle was already dangerous, but now Victoria holds an even more powerfull weapon against her. I wonder how this is going to end. I figure since the girls in the cabin now know and like Erika, they could probably accept the truth, but I doubt the rest of the camp would be so nice about it.

I remain sitting at the edge of my chair waiting for the next chapter.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Short and punchy!

Angharad's picture

How much difference is this going to make? Rachel has suspicions, Samantha already knows, Katie fancies Erika and is working up to coming out. They're all a bit oddball, so what difference will one more make?

Good one AA, like the self advertisment. 8)

hugs,

Angharad.

PS when's the next one due? No pressure, tomorrow's fine.

Angharad

Yes, Tomorrow

...would be soon enough to resolve this HORRENDOUS CLIFFHANGER you just THREW in our laps, AA. How could you DO this Arrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

And, don't even THINK about duct-taping Erika to the flagpole! OMG, of all the people in that cabin I wouldn't trust... wait, there's only one -- Victoria!

Well, it's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. Ummm... How long are you planning to make us wait, I mean, you know, just for planning purposes?

Cliffhanger

Another Cliffhanger..... geeze that seems to be a speciality of yours... I wonder how Victoria will take the news... Anyways keep up the wonderful work with this story.

Jayme Ann

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in true friendship

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Kamoni

Geez, Eric was worried about Victoria.

Now that Victoria realizes who Erica really is, is she going to be homophobic and rat her out? Will Samantha threaten her when she realizes that Victoria knows the truth? Will Samantha stand up for Erica or shrink away denying she realized who Eric is? Will the rest of the girls really understand and then take Erica under their wing and make her a better woman?

It looks like Victoria hated Eric anyway, after all she keeps refering to him as the plague.

I do so hope that Erica's personality will make Victoria think twice about outing her.

I guess we have to wait and see.

Is Eric that dumb to leave the computer open for anyone to use? He should have realized it would have given him away. Especially leaving the chat window open. What a dunce, I thought he was computer savy and knew better than to do things like that.

Ok, I will patiently wait for your next installment. Please hurry, the waiting for your cliff hanger solutions gives me an anxiety attack, worrying about our hero/heroine for so long.

Good Job
Joni W

Oh snap!

Uh oh, Erika is in BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG trouble. What is she going to do now?

--------------------------------------------
I just got to be me :D

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Don't be too quick to judge

Victoria may have put two and two together thinking she's come up with four. Lets not forget that Sasha has added a couple of digits to the equation. The evidence has been hidden away very carefully, if it worked for Em in 'Rhods Trip To America,' it can work for Erica. Although I grant you the computer evidence will be very tough to explain. Perhaps Erica can convince Victoria that there is a reason for her to have been pretending to be Eric. Lets see if AA can turn the table around a few more times and come up with some magic.

Huggs & Giggles
Penny

Will Victoria blow the gaff…

…let the pussy out of the bag—I can hear you all groaning—or any other epithet for tale-telling?

I reckon that Sasha’s intervention has been timely, and Victoria will eventually discover that the gaffe is hers if she tries to out Erika. Yes, I'm sure Victoria will find out she has BOOBED!

Great chapter, AA, keep up the good work,

Hugs
Gabi
(who loves playing with double entendres—Isn't English a wonderful language!)

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Awkward

So now Victoria knows about Eric/ka. From all the possibilities for addressing issues about peer-acceptance, homophobia, gender-differences, prudishness, and perceived perversion I'm wondering which you will choose. Or in which or any order.

Could it also -or just- be a set-up for Eric/ka to really really being forced to evaluate how to identify her/himself? Confronted by Victoria, who demands to know what possessed him to become her, and wants to find resolve for being mislead and feelings of improper invasion of privacy. It could be tempting to claim GID. (DSM IV)

But wouldn't that be like thundering down a road which has been elusive up till now? Would it be right, and true to her/himself? Yes, this story line has proven to be enigmatic along its course, and may provoke more and hearty discussion.

Thanks A.A.
J-A :)

p.s. And I agree with A and P.K: No pressure, tomorrow's fine!

OMG!

Even though I had a feeling something would happen when Erika's laptop was left where any of the other girls could take a look at it, I still felt the terror of discovery when Victoria made the connection between Erika and Eric.

I suppose Erika could say she posed as Eric because she thought she would be taken more seriously as a comix author, but it'd be hard to explain the physical similarities between her and "Eric the Plague". Maybe people didn't really pay enough attention to Eric for them to be able to see a physical similarity?

Even if it is possible for Erika to convince her cabin mates she's not a guy, I kinda wonder if it would be for the best. Maybe this is an opportunity to come clean? Keeping secrets can be pretty hard, especially when you're with a small group of people 24 hours a day.

I'm really looking forward to the next chapter of this wonderful story. :)


Heather Rose Brown
Writer--Artist--Dreamer

Let's Keep in Mind that camp hasn't been in session long...

Frank's picture

For him to be outted at this juncture would not be a good thing as far as the continuation of this story (hey Anistasia there's your out)..with a week or so under his belt, they would not accept him as one of the girls, they'd all feel betrayed and think he's a perv..which he is now that I think of the bathroom/shower scenes...there will have to be a reason for Victoria to play along, expose him, or leave him there and change cabins/go home...


Huggles!!

Alexis

Hugs

Frank

An Anistasia Allread fan eh?

Now isn't that just a cute coincidence, that Victoria should be an Anistasia Allread fan?

Talk about plugs!

Great episode, I can't wait for the next one...

NB

Will tomorrow come ?

Next chapter was ordered by several people for "tomorrow", but it's still not here :(
Perhaps it helps if I sit down before AA, look up at her and complain with a miserable "miaouw" (or whatever sequence of letters would be the best emulation of a kitten begging.)

Merry Christmas to the author. Have a nice day celebrating. And if you want to give your readers a nice gift for the New Year, how about chapter 23 ?

ok, ok, I'll stop nagging.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

You forgot the rain ...

Your sad kitten must be on the front stoop in a pouring rain, shivering and wide eyed as it pleads with AA.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Tsk Tsk Erika

I'll bet all of the BigCloset readership knows better than to leave their computers open for strangers to use :P

I know I'm super-paranoid about letting anyone sit down at my computer. In fact, I let nobody at all. I mean, everyone knows I'm TS I suppose... but still. I think having been 'closeted' in any sense - whether you're gay, trans, etc... teaches you a healthy dose of paranoia about stuff like this.

Besides, there are still my personal diaries, writings, etc. I'd rather the paparazzi (aren't I conceited? lol) snap me nude!

Still, it made for a nice plot twist and some needed conflict and tension at this juncture, so it's welcome. It should be interesting to see how it plays out. Given the fact that she made the "seen me naked" comment, I can guess how it's going to pan out - not good. Of course, what a logical conclusion: a red-blooded male dressed up as a girl for an entire summer simply to see naked girls. Riiiiight. lol. That sort of thing is a torturous enough ordeal for someone who *wants* to be a girl, much less a peeping tom. Still, I've heard this same thing floated by real people in real life regarding such things - sheesh.

Umm...moving right along... I'm obviously still enjoying this series :) Looking forward to the rest!

I just wanted to add my

Piper's picture

I just wanted to add my heartfelt thanks for this story. I love the way you seem to care so intimately about all your characters and seem to be able to draw out their innermost features.

-HuGgLes-
-Piper/GeekGirl/Kirstyn Amanda Fox (and more)


Pipers Blatant GabyZone Plug

I actually LIKE image SIGs!


"She was like a butterfly, full of color and vibrancy when she chose to open her wings, yet hardly visible when she closed them."
— Geraldine Brooks


Trouble

This isn’t going to end well.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

so now she knows

what will she do?

DogSig.png